IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Nagios XI OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Nagios XI is #5 ranked solution in top Server Monitoring tools, #8 ranked solution in top Cloud Monitoring Software, #10 ranked solution in Infrastructure Monitoring tools, and #12 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools. PeerSpot users give Nagios XI an average rating of 8 out of 10. Nagios XI is most commonly compared to Zabbix: Nagios XI vs Zabbix. Nagios XI is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 60% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
Nagios XI Buyer's Guide

Download the Nagios XI Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Nagios XI?

Nagios XI provides monitoring of all mission-critical infrastructure components including applications, services, operating systems, network protocols, systems metrics, and network infrastructure. Hundreds of third-party addons provide for monitoring of virtually all in-house and external applications, services, and systems.

Nagios XI Customers

Nagios has over one million users globally, including AOL, DHL, McAfee, MCI, MTV, Yahoo!, Universal, Toshiba, Sony, Siemens, and JPMorgan Chase.

Nagios XI Video

Nagios XI Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Nagios XI pricing:
  • "Licensing costs are reasonable."
  • "Nagios Core does not have any payment, but Nagios XI requires payment for the license."
  • "For our country in North Africa, it's expensive and we could purchase another solution for that price. But it's a reasonable price if we're speaking in international terms."
  • "Nagios XI is open source."
  • Nagios XI Reviews

Matthew Camilleri - PeerSpot reviewer
    NMS Team Leader at KORE Telematics Inc.
    Easy to use and deploy with helpful technical support
    • "The solution is pretty stable."
    • "The pricing has recently risen. I know they've changed what is covered under the license, however, it doesn't change the way we use it and adds nothing to our experience, and yet we now have to pay more."

What is our primary use case?

The company used to use ManageEngine, however, it was not delivering what we were really trying to produce. The benefit of Nagios is, as we are an MVNO company, an MVME company actually, we actually had to deliver monitoring based on in-house solutions. We needed to write code over our own monitoring solution. Nagios has provided us a little bit of that help as, in our proof of concept, it proved to be useful due to the fact that it's easier also for the network operations center to understand the type of monitors that are being raised. I recall we had a number of POCs at the time, and Nagios seemed to be the perfect candidate and therefore we kept using it.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use. You provide what you want and you can monitor what you really want.  As long as you develop your own codes, it is fine.  The initial setup is straightforward.  The solution is pretty stable. Technical support is helpful.

What needs improvement?

The pricing has recently risen. I know they've changed what is covered under the license, however, it doesn't change the way we use it and adds nothing to our experience, and yet we now have to pay more. An optional delivery from their end in order to greatly produce some sort of a HA, high availability solution, would be ideal. At present, if I have a solution and Nagios is instanced in a particular data center and another Nagios solution in another data center, when you buy the license, you can eventually have different types of licenses. One will be a stand-by and the other will be a disaster recovery solution. What's missing from the Nagios side is the idea of having some sort of synchronization between the two instances. If I have a stand-by solution and I need ticketing as an active solution, I need to do many things manually. For example, I need to manually do ticketing on the backup and restore it on the other. It would be a good idea for some sort of mechanism, like a sort of clustering, which can help a lot for people out there who need something in an active-standby solution. I'm not sure this will be available out there even on other solutions, like Zabbix, for example, That said, I don't think they're really digging into this kind of scenario.When you start deploying thousands of monitors, especially in a big company, for example, you have to take care, as that you cannot keep on pushing into one solution. It can become inefficient. They say it's specifically that when you skip an X amount of monitors, Nagios starts behaving differently.  I really don't like the idea of the certification provided by them. As a company and as a team lead, I have other people who were interested in doing some certifications, coming from the management. However, they did not provide any sort of training, which gives you the independence to do an exam. It's like they just provide a simple document for you to read and then just to apply in the exam, just to be Nagios certified. On top of that, that kind of document is very old. I asked them if they had anything up-to-date. They told me that's what they have even though it's clear it's very old quality for the current engine that Nagios is currently built on. There were quite a number of upgrades - at least five. At the same time, Zabbix certification offers you training beforehand and then you can opt for either a certification or an exam.

I've used the solution since about 2018. It's been about three or four years at this point.
    Nagios XI
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Nagios XI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    606,596 professionals have used our research since 2012.

For the most part, the solution is stable. There were some cases with stability, especially, for example, unexpected issues that you are not aware of at first. All of a sudden you notice that just as an example, the graphs are not actually graphing, all of a sudden. That said, it's very, very, very minimal. We don't experience big issues with Nagios. And yet, it is why we introduced the idea of having a geo-redundancy solution, so that we can also, if something happens, immediately switch and then concentrate to work efficiently on the one having issues.

We use the support forum. In fact, it's part of the license. Even if you're just a member of the forum, you can still receive quick responses. We use it a lot and we ask questions. I can say that I'm happy with the way they eventually reply to you as they at least help, in any case. We had situations where we used support while we debugged everything ourselves. Through the years, and in 2008, we started merging all of our stuff onto the Nagios platform. Truthfully, in the last three to four years, I haven't seen that many massive issues. The platform is quite stable. Therefore, we don't use support too much.

We previously used ManageEngine. I'm also familiar with Zabbix, for example, as it's quite the same concept. The difference is that maybe Nagios was a little bit easier for deployments. We did a POC with DataDog as well and have begun to work with BigPanda.

The initial setup is not overly complex. It's pretty straightforward.

There is the Nagios Core, which is free. Then, of course, you have the Nagios XI, which is paid. I found that lately when we went to renew the license, the difference was a little bit higher. It was around a higher percentage different than last year. That made us a little bit concerned. For a point in time, I was just checking to see if there is something that might go head to head with Nagios and maybe be a little bit cheaper. While browsing and checking out a few, I met also with the Pandora MS and looked at it as a less expensive option.

I've been looking at this solution in comparison to Pandora.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer of Nagios, actually. We provide the monitoring solution within the company. It's a virtualized solution, however, it's not really on a cloud as we typically have our own data centers. We applied it on a Hypervisor platform. It's a virtualized solution. Then, of course, we opt for the redundancy part by having different data centers.  It's the same setup as Zabbix as well. Typically, you have a number of data centers globally, and then you concentrate it, for example, in our case, to various data centers and we usually do redundancy for. Therefore, we have the active solution and the standby solution, just in case there is a disaster. If you are a mid-sied company with an eye on expansion, this solution is very good. I'd recommend it to others. it's easy to use and to deploy. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.
    David Pratt - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior DevOps Engineer Individual Contributor at EML Payments Ltd
    Reasonably priced, reliable, and good return on investment
    • "It's a monitoring agent. It's designed to do one thing. Its most valuable feature is its monitoring."
    • "I would like to be able to extend it to all of our data centers, whether they are in the cloud or not. It would be helpful if I could connect everywhere."

What is our primary use case?

We use Nagios XI to monitor all of our network assets.

How has it helped my organization?

We use Nagios as a network discovery tool. We use Nagios to maintain our uptime statistics and to monitor our services. It has allowed us to be much more sophisticated in our monitoring and alerting.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like them to have better public cloud discovery.

I would like to be able to extend it to all of our data centers, whether they are in the cloud or not. It would be helpful if I could connect everywhere.

I have been using Nagios XI for two years.

Nagios XI is stable. The stability is great.

Nagios XI is scalable. It covers our data.

We have eight users in our organization who are network administrators, engineers, and senior operations staff.

It is extensively being used. It currently covers two entire data centers.

There are approximately 600 assets in total. We're not sure if we are going to extend its usage. We are implementing our hybrid cloud strategy, and it will most likely not be suitable for monitoring our public cloud assets.

We will not be using this solution in the future, but I wanted to explain why. If it could, which is sort of can, there are better options for us in AWS and Azure for our use cases. We're unlikely to extend it to the cloud, but as long as our data centers are operational, we'll continue to use it.

Technical support is generally good. I would rate them a four out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We used a solution previously, but I don't recall what it was.

The initial setup was satisfactory.

It wasn't any better or worse than the others.

It was difficult to configure, but not more complex than others similar to it.

It took a few months to complete the deployment. We deployed from scratch, we had to upgrade the network.

The deployment was done in-house.

We only need two people to deploy and maintain this solution; it is very simple.

Our service statistics aren't particularly impressive, but we have seen a return on investment.

I would rate it a five out of five.

It's an essential part of our infrastructure, and we'll keep using it.

Licensing costs are reasonable. It's approximately $6,000.00.

It's good value for the money.

There were no additional fees in addition to the standard licensing fee.

We used the enterprise version; we started with the pay-as-you-go version, but the real one is much better.

What other advice do I have?

With any changes to the network's planning, It did require downtime, don't rush it. Make sure you're resilient and take it slowly. You don't have to start doing everything at once, but you should start with your most important assets.

I would rate Nagios XI an eight out of ten.

Nagios XI
    June 2022
    606,596 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    IT-OSS Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
    Powerful monitoring that is easy to use and install
    • "Nagios is stable and it's easy to use the monitoring software, which is why we chose this product."
    • "The installation and monitoring need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I use Nagios to monitor LTE modems. We have more than 24,000 modems on a single instance of Nagios.

We also use this software to monitor several KPIs regarding to CPE devices, and items in our IT department infrastructure when we started eight years ago.

How has it helped my organization?

We use plugins provided by Nagios XI to monitor our infrastructure equipment, OS, Databases and Services from easy to use wizards in monitoring panel. Also, we add some additional features to this monitoring system based on our organization needs.

What is most valuable?

Nagios is stable and it's easy to use the monitoring software, which is why we chose this product. There is no limitation exist to monitor every measurable parameters and KPIs. Every known devices and services parameters has own plugins in this monitoring system and for special cases, it`s possible to write script and monitor results.

What needs improvement?

1. Reporting items needs more improvement and need to be more flexible based on customer needs

2. Clustering feature need to be implemented for large environment. Some solutions introduced in official website such as Mod-Gearman and Nagios Fusion but the first one implemented by third party and second one is not include management control and just a central view from several instances. I think Nagios should implement an official solution for clustering for enterprise and large scales that should be included database solution as well.

I have eight years of experience working with Nagios XI. I have a lot of experience using this monitoring software.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution. We have not had any issues.

We have more than 100 users and plan to continue to use this solution.

We don't have technical support for Nagios because we are living in Iran and we have embargoes, so we cannot use the technical support from Nagios. We use local support.

I use Solarwinds and CACTI before using Nagios but both of them has some concerns.

We cannot add any feature to Solarwinds because it is none open source

CACTI is graphing tool and it cannot help us to alerting issues. Some plugins are implemented for this purpose for CACTI such as Thold plugin but it has not complete feature such as Nagios.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's easy to install, but you need some information about the Linux operating system.

It took less than one hour to deploy.

I completed the implementation myself.

We have a team of three engineers to maintain this solution.

Nagios Core does not have any payment, but Nagios XI requires payment for the license and support.

Solarwinds

CACTI

PRTG

What other advice do I have?

For anyone who is interested in using this solution, I would recommend it. This monitoring software is easy to use and is very powerful.

This monitoring system has a powerful engine. I have many devices being monitored by a single instance, and it can show that this software works well.

I would rate Nagios XI an eight out of ten.

IT-OSS Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
    We can use it to expose custom APIs for our integration, which is a great feature.
    • "Nagios is a custom API manager, and we can expose custom APIs for our integration. This is a great feature."
    • "We often need to develop custom plugins to get Nagios to work the way we want it to work because the features we need are not always available in Nagios."

What is our primary use case?

Nagios is our cloud-based monitoring system. We need to deploy it and integrate with our CRM, customer portal and the ticketing system as an end to end customer support platform. We use it for monitoring and gathering data from our customer service equipment.

How has it helped my organization?

We have more than 100 people using the solution and 3 people to do the maintenance.

What is most valuable?

Nagios XI has a custom API feature, and we can expose custom APIs for our integration. This is a great feature.

In fact, Nagios XI grant access to administrator to use official common backend commands and callback functions developed by Nagios in custom APIs, so custom APIs could be created as an standard web services without degradation in performance and access to needed data easily. This APIs will be registered and listed in Component Management and administrator could be able to manage them as well. Also, Authentication will be done by creating unique Token for each user created in Nagios XI User Management automatically and it could be used in calling each APIs to manage access level of caller user.

All documentation and examples about creating custom APIs are available in "Help" tab in monitoring GUI and each person with moderate level of knowledge about development in PHP language  (Needless to say it required admin privilege), can create this kind of web services.

What needs improvement?

We often need to develop custom plugins to get Nagios to work the way we want it to work because the features we need are not always available in Nagios. Some products such as Zabbix have a software monitoring system built-in, such as the Prometheus monitoring system. It can use the features to monitor cloud systems. This would be a useful feature to include in Nagios XI. Nagios has some plugins to monitor clouding systems, but this feature on Zabbix is so handy and so user-friendly. I think it can be added to the Nagios monitoring system.

Nagios is stable, but we are using mod-Gearman for distributing the solution. There is network limitation on this, such that if the network is not stable, the whole solution is also, not stable.

Because we are working in Iran, we have embargoes, and this means we don't have any support from Nagios support. As a result, we have to use self-study. We research using Google and nagios forum this has helped us to resolve our issues.

Set up in Nagios is complex. However, it's okay once you have done this task a few times, so you understand the logic. Once you have done that, it is easy to use.

We also compared the product to Zabbix.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution because it's so powerful with no limitation, especially when using the XI version. I would rate Nagios 8 out of 10. Overall, I find it to be a very good solution.

Hattab Mahdi - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Project Manager at unpa
    The database is stable and I don't have any problems with the solution
    • "Nagios XI helps us monitor the bandwidth of the internet connection, HTTP, DNS, active directory services, and exchange data availability. We have multiple servers to monitor databases, availability of servers, and ping."
    • "It is really difficult to integrate Nagios XI with another system to generate logs and alert our management of failures in security infrastructure."

What is our primary use case?

In total, our company has 900 employees and I work on a four-member administrative security team. All of our company's infrastructure is covered by Nagios XI, including our server, databases, switches, router, and data center. We use a hybrid setup that combines a virtual and physical local server with a cloud server. We implemented Nagios XI in our data center because it's installed in a VM, or virtual machine, and works easily with this data server.

What is most valuable?

Nagios XI helps us monitor the bandwidth of the internet connection, HTTP, DNS, active directory services, and exchange data availability. We have multiple servers to monitor databases, availability of servers, and ping. SMTP services can be monitored with Nagios XI. We use Nagios' mail features to send email alerts to the IT team to let them know we have an issue on our server, a problem with the databases, or updates about the availability of a server.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see Nagios integrate the team mail with the SMS gateway so we can send text alerts. It's difficult to use. To activate this option, you have to activate something from another script then use a shell script to integrate via another gateway SMS. Also, it would be great if it were integrated with another solution to generate logs, like PCM, AlienVault, or Splunk. We want alerts integrated with a system to generate logs. AlienVault and Splunk could enable this option. It is really difficult to integrate Nagios XI with another system to generate logs and alert our management of failures in security infrastructure.

I have 10 years of experience with Nagios.

The database is stable and I don't have any problems with the solution.

I think it's average. It's not fast, but I think it's okay. For the price, I think the quality of support is normal.

For our country in North Africa, it's expensive and we could purchase another solution for that price. But it's a reasonable price if we're speaking in international terms. If we compare it with another solution in the global IT world, then I think it's a reasonable price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Nagios XI eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
    Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Flexible and configurable platform with good reporting
    • "Nagios allows us to configure any device so that we can send pager alerts when people don't have access to emails. It also allows us to schedule downtime and maintenance."
    • "The technical support is variable - sometimes I get answers, but most of my tickets go unanswered."

What is our primary use case?

The main use case is the monitoring of infrastructure environments.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the product's flexibility and the daily and monthly availability reports.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement would be that when we need any modifications for the configurations, we need to delete the host and configure through CPM. It would be great if they could add a feature so that the existing host can be modified through XI. In the next release, I'd like them to add an option to modify the results when configuring through results.

I've been working with Nagios XI for the last four years.

I'm happy with our service.

I previously used Nagios Core but switched because there was no DUI, so we had to do every configuration on the line.

The setup was easy, taking between 15 and 20 days, and I would rate my experience as 3.5.

Licensing is available quarterly.

What other advice do I have?

Nagios is a good product, which can configure many kinds of plugins. I would give this product a rating of eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Account Manager, Cybersecurity at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    MSP
    Open-source, with good monitoring and visibility

What is our primary use case?

Nagios XI is used for monitoring the resources in the infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard allows you to see what's going on in the overall system.

What needs improvement?

As it is open-source, it is not user-friendly. Open-source software is usually not user-friendly.

We have been selling Nagios XI for more than five years.

Nagios XI is a scalable product.

We have six customers who are using this solution.

Support, we have a time zone issue, but we are providing our own support.

I don't believe we require anything, because we have our own technical expertise.

We are resellers of Forcepoint and Symantec DLP.

Because my company is experienced, installation is not a problem for us, but I'm not sure about new users.

We have a team of two or three people to deploy and maintain this solution.

Nagios XI is open source.

It requires a yearly license.

What other advice do I have?

It is an alternative to more expensive solutions. That is why they use Nagios.

I would rate Nagios XI an eight out of ten.

IP/MPLS Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's helpful for seeing where we're having problems with the network, but the display could be more intuitive

What is our primary use case?

We use Nagios XI for monitoring and seeing where we're having problems with the network.

What needs improvement?

The way Nagios displays information isn't easy for a new user to understand. It's not intuitive enough. You need to read some tutorials or be trained to understand what it's displaying. Also, I think it needs more features to improve network visibility because there are some things you can't detect.

I've been using Nagios for more than five years.

Nagios is stable.

Nagios has good scalability.

The installation is no problem. I've installed Nagios several times.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Nagios XI six out of 10. It's one of several network monitoring systems we have, and it has some features we can't get from other platforms.

Download our free Nagios XI Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022