IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Andy Chen - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Technology Specialist at a tech consulting company with 11-50 employees
Stable, easy to use, and simple to implement
  • "The solution is very straightforward. Its context is obvious and everything is easy to understand."
  • "I have heard from developers that there is documentation missing in the reporting."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for in-house management.  For example, for human resources and warehouse management.

How has it helped my organization?

We are a small business. We keep up all sales and duties within our organization. One day someone might be part of the development team, however, next week we want him on the sales team to directly involve them in a small project that we've done for the client. We don't have to go to a different person from an agency or organization or have someone that is always dedicated to a position. We need to be flexible in order to move our employees from here to here. And this solution allows us to change or play around with our own system to reflect the changes of our personnel.

What is most valuable?

Compared to previous applications which developed by Visual Basic, we can quickly update the whole business process without spending weeks or a month dealing with those aspects.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any features that are lacking.

The pricing could always be less.

It would be useful if Power Apps were capable of providing more flexible reporting to allow the developer to really to manipulate the data, and get into more details - for example, why it's being changed and how it's been changed. If there was a way they could comment right in the reports, that would be very helpful.

There should be more document management capabilities.

Microsoft PowerApps
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft PowerApps. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
619,967 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We've been using the solution for a year and a half at this point.

The stability is pretty good from a business point of view. It was reliable and easy to understand and work with.

We haven't really tested the scalability, however, we've noticed that, since everyone is working from home, it's much slower than if everyone works from the office.

With everything going on, we don't really have the right scenario to really test for scalability. That may happen in the future. COVID-19 has put a lot of plans on hold.

We currently have 12 people using it. They are mostly project managers and developers. We also have two sales people and the CEO on it.

We've never had to reach out to technical support. That's a good thing. It means we haven't had any issues.

The last solution we used was old and it was built in-house. It was time to retire it, which is why we adopted this product.

Although I'm not the person who handles the initial setup, my understanding is that it's not too difficult and pretty straightforward.

Deployment typically takes two months. The last deployment we did started in May and was completed by July.

There isn't a lot of maintenance needed. We have one developer that's dedicated to the maintenance and changing the environment as needed. It's pretty hands-off though.

We handled the implementation ourselves. We didn't need any outside assistance.

The solution is subscription-based, however, I don't handle billing, and therefore don't have insights into the costs. We don't have any extras that we pay for. We just have a standard subscription package.

I'd recommend the solution. Overall, I'd rate it eight out of ten. If the reporting and pricing were better, I'd rate it higher.

I've definitely learned about the power of the cloud. Before everyone used to use the VPN connection to the head office. When we pushed into the cloud and everyone can just see everything and the system is very sound. It also allows our developers to see what they can change. It's been great.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

Hybrid Cloud

Senior Product Manager Data Science at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great UI and an easy initial setup, however, users are limited to 2,000 records
  • "There's a lot of online knowledge on the solution, to the point where new users can basically teach themselves how to use the solution."
  • "One of the major problems with it is what PowerApps calls the delegation warning. Regardless of what platform, data source, et cetera, that you're using, you can't retrieve more than 2000 records."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a general business process improvement. We use it as more of a digital transformation to eliminate some archaic manual processes that the business has built up over time. We're working to make everything more streamlined.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has allowed us to remove a lot of manual redundancies and to update and streamline our processes.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use due to expert UI. It is great.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

The solution is limited in a very specific way. One of the major problems with it is what PowerApps calls the delegation warning. Regardless of what platform, data source, et cetera, that you're using, you can't retrieve more than 2000 records.

I connect to an Oracle server that has well over 150,000 records that business users want to see or could use at any given time. The only thing that I could surface in the app is a portion of up to 2000 records at one data call.

Due to this limitation, I have to build in options for the user to refine the search, to go back out to the server, and then pull back records that match that search as opposed to offering all 150,000+ records. You need to filter quite extensively. Microsoft refers to is as a "delegation issue".

I've only been using the solution for about a year. It hasn't been too long as of yet.

The stability has been very good. We've been pretty satisfied with it. It's not buggy. It doesn't crash.

You cannot scale with PowerApps. PowerApps is still very much a point solution. The size is the size.

We've dealt with technical support in the past. Everybody that we've worked with at Microsoft is phenomenal. They are always willing to help troubleshoot and get to the bottom of issues. That said, with PowerApps and even Power Automate, sometimes the teams at Microsoft still don't know why some issues occur or how to work around them.

I joined the company a year ago in September. I don't think they used anything prior to that beyond the citizen developer level. There might have been a solution that the actual coders used, however, I can't recall the product's name. It was a pretty standard Microsoft application in any case. It may have been Visual Studio.

The initial setup is not complex. It's quite straightforward.

For me, just using it on my own, I just used Google searches or YouTube to figure out how do this or fix and tie items together. After about a month of learning and experimenting, I had a pretty good handle on how PowerApps works.

The company as a whole used Microsoft consultants to set up a center of excellence.

The solution is free if you have a Teams account, or Office 365.

If you start to use any premium connectors that are not stored in a SharePoint list or on an Excel workbook, then it costs $4 per user per month. If you want unlimited, it's about $16 per month for unlimited apps and unlimited connectors.

There might potentially be a few other extra fees, however, I'm not sure what they are. Microsoft is one of those organizations that manage to nickel and dime its customers on everything.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

We are most likely using the most recent or updated version of the solution, however, I'm unsure of the exact version number.

While Microsoft is an option, I'd recommend users check out OutSystems first and see if it makes sense for them to use that before looking into Microsoft.

Overall, I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

Microsoft PowerApps
July 2022
619,967 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Power Platform Consultant at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Reasonably priced with great features and helpful support
  • "It uses a lot of AI, which is helpful, especially during the setup process."
  • "I would like to see more improvement, for example, in direct collaboration."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for internal purposes and also to advise our customers.

What is most valuable?

Everything that includes PowerApps is very interesting, especially the late editions in direction and mixed reality.

The way you create applications and the nature of language processing are great. The ideas feature that has been added lately has been wonderful. All these types of additions are really cool.

It's a stable product.

It uses a lot of AI, which is helpful, especially during the setup process.

The pricing is reasonable.

Technical support is good.

What needs improvement?

I'm looking forward to further improvements of what you can do with mixed reality capabilities.

I would like to see more improvement, for example, in direct collaboration. There is something currently, however, it's still on a preview mode. I'd like to see more.

What I'd also like to see is to be able to use, for example, another tool for sketching mock-ups or the design of the applications and being able to transport the sketches directly into, let's say, a PowerApps container so I can design the app somewhere else, and then I can transport everything in PowerApps designer, and I can get started with inserting logic in the mock-ups that I have already designed somewhere else. This is something that I'd really like to see in PowerApps.

The experience could be a bit better improved and be consistent throughout all parts that form components. For example, the same experience we have in PowerApps is something that should also be in other PowerApps platform products.

In general, the environments in the workspaces are a bit faster than in the cloud.

I've been sung the solution for two to three years.

It's a stable product.

We have 200 to 300 people using the solution currently.

Technical support depends on what channels you communicate through, however, largely, we are satisfied.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

This is the first general code solution I'm using.

The initial setup is AI-infused. If you start working on an application, AI works for you in the background and tries to provision everything you need. I would like it to be a bit faster. Sometimes the designer just breaks and you get an error notification.

I've seen ROI and I would rate ROI at three and a half out of five, however, I would like for Microsoft to think of ways where we as partners are better supported to have a higher return on investment.

The cost is fair, based on everything you get. I'd rate it at a four out of five as I see that the customers raise constraints. They sort of say it's a bit expensive. I don't know how expensive the other platforms are, however, from what I heard, it's a fair price for PowerApps considering what it comes with.

We did not evaluate other options. We are a Microsoft gold partner and for us, the journey was set as we were using Dynamics 365 CRM systems, which basically had PowerApps. It was pretty clear from the outset that we were going in the direction of PowerApps.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a team lead for the PowerApps platform in general and PowerApps is the product of the platform. I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

I'd advise others to start with a short hands-on evaluation so that you understand what it looks like when you create on the platform. That will give you a feeling about the components. You get a feeling about what the platform offers and can build slowly up from there. The best way would be perhaps to seek support in the beginning, for example, from partners. If you decide that PowerApps is the way, then consider governance from the beginning on.

There's always room for improvement, however, I would rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Low-code, stable solution for creating applications in a more simplified way, and can be easily scaled up
  • "Microsoft PowerApps allows you to simplify business processes and user experience. You can also create responsive applications and canvas apps through this solution. It's an easy to scale, stable, and low-code solution."
  • "Microsoft PowerApps can be more costly for small teams or organizations."

What is our primary use case?

In the complete Microsoft Power platform, there are four components: PowerApps, Power Automate, Power Virtual Agents, and Power BI. We use all these four so we can make a complete solution, e.g. a visualization dashboard, automated chat bots, and the rest we can achieve using PowerApps.

Microsoft PowerApps has three types of applications. One is the canvas app. Another one is the model-driven app that is business specific and data specific. Another type of app we can use is open source, e.g. open projects that are called "portals". We can achieve the same thing when developing a website and when doing it in the portal. These are what we can achieve using Microsoft PowerApps and the Power Platform.

Microsoft PowerApps provide the user interface and functionality, e.g. we can create a normal app that is used on web or mobile. Microsoft PowerApps is similar to a form where you perform whatever you want to do. Some look and feel controls are also found in this solution.

Power Automate, on the other hand, is where we automate the backend processes, e.g. the notifications, data extractions, etc. For something that needs calculation, we use Power Automate, while building the user interface and user experience, we use Microsoft PowerApps.

What is most valuable?

What we like about Microsoft PowerApps is that it allows us to simplify business processes and user experience. We can also create responsive applications and canvas apps through this solution.

If we need an app that is more specific to what the business requires, we can create model-driven apps through Microsoft PowerApps. We can also create a reusable component which we can use in this solution, through the power component framework, which is a recent development model from this product.

We also love that this product is a low-code tool which has drag and drop controls, so building apps is simplified.

What needs improvement?

This solution can be more costly for small teams or organizations.

Both Microsoft Power Automate and Microsoft PowerApps are stable products.

Microsoft PowerApps is a solution that can be easily scaled up.

I had no issues with the technical support for this product.

The pricing of Microsoft PowerApps is neutral, because it's completely based on user requirement. If your requirement is simple or less complex, then the basic licensing model can work, e.g. the free model, or else, you need to go for some premium features or model. The cost will be completely based on your product, and what app license is going to work for you. If per user license is going to work, then you can go for that.

Microsoft PowerApps is not that expensive, but for a small organization, getting the license could be tough, because if you have a team of five people, then it's going to cost you.

What other advice do I have?

I'm working as a developer, particularly the main power platform developer with Microsoft technology as a senior consultant. I'm working with Microsoft PowerApps and Power Automate.

Every automation nowadays is using Microsoft PowerApps and Microsoft Power Automate.

Microsoft PowerApps is best for medium to large enterprises.

I'm recommending Microsoft PowerApps for low-code projects. In the past, developers have to work a lot. They needed to use their technical skills, e.g. for developing codes. They needed to learn different languages to perform a simple mission. For web development, they need to use HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Today, it's about using the Microsoft Power Platform, as it has low-code, no-code tools.

Microsoft PowerApps is a low-code solution, which means that we can now simplify things through drag and drop controls. We can also use different rebuild models through this solution. We can use different rebuild connectors that calculate to connect to different systems easily. Earlier, only developers were responsible for developing apps. Now, citizen developers can also make apps with the help of Microsoft Power Platform, because it's a low-code, no-code solution.

My rating for Microsoft Power Automate is an eight out of ten. I'm giving the same rating for Microsoft PowerApps: eight out of ten.

Enterprise Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
No code, quick drag and drop, and a good user interface, but the data threshold limit needs to increase
  • "I would say that the most valuable features are the user interface, navigation, and business routes."
  • "It has to improve the threshold limit where it can handle data beyond 5000 items."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft has come at the right time. To come out with a RAD (Rapid Application Development) tool where you can develop your apps on the cloud much faster, and deploy them for multiple devices, whether it is mobile, cloud, laptops, or desktops. It is similar to Oracle APEX or Oracle developer tools where you just drag and drop into your application within minutes.

The primary use case of this solution is case management reporting. If, for example, you have a set of engineers who have been assigned a particular case or project they will need to record all of their activities and their visits. Using the application created in PowerApps, they report everything, then it goes through a workflow.

The workflow goes from recording the daily activities of the team for the specific project. The project then goes through a series of approvals and gets logged, completed, and the report is generated.

Expenses are also being logged.

We have Power BI as well, and it moves the data from the source to the data warehouse then generates a report.

This is quite a short term, six-week engagement. We wanted to create an application and have it up and running within four to six weeks, rather than spending three to six months on bigger projects on the platform. We wanted it to be quick and fast.

PowerApps is best suited for those cases where you have a small scenario and an application to support that project or scenario. You can call these departmental applications, which are needed on the fly. We create a much shorter development lifecycle and then deploy, and then people start using it.

Take an example of the COVID-19 situation. We wanted all of our branches to log their COVID cases or what exactly are they doing daily to manage the COVID cases and to know what the process is. All of those details are logged into the COVID folder and then the reports are generated daily or weekly.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft PowerApps is a no-code solution.

I would say that the most valuable features are the user interface, navigation, and business routes.

It quickly drags and drops. It doesn't take much coding, there is no coding in fact. You drag and drop, select a few things to configure, and then read those applications in the user screens.

With business rules, you can just select and you don't need to elaborate coding or backend code. This way, it's much easier to write or create those applications using their features.

What needs improvement?

When you capture a lot of data, the data becomes enormous. It's one of Microsoft's challenges that there is a threshold limit of 5000 items. It has to improve the threshold limit where it can handle data beyond 5000 items.

I would like to see integration with on-premise business applications, complex business routes, and complex business workflows.

We started using Microsoft PowerApps in 2014.

Currently, there is a challenge in scaling up. We can't scale beyond large data.

We have approximately 10,000 users in our organization.

There is a challenge in getting support. The support staff is not trained properly in PowerApps.

The initial setup was not easy, but not exactly complex. There was a lot of research.

There are two licensing costs, one is pay-as-you-go, or you can develop it for one year.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to make an informed decision before you implement it. There are a lot of challenges, and the product is going through a lot of changes.

It's promising, so I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Guillermo Carles - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use with good speed and very good design capabilities
  • "Overall, the tool is very democratic. It's easy for anyone to use. You don't have to be a professional or well-versed in technology."
  • "It's sometimes hard to import groups of options. At this point, I need to enter those manually and it slows the process down."

What is most valuable?

The solution is really strong. I'm not an engineer. I'm an economist. Even without being an engineer, I can handle working with the data warehouse. It offers good speed and excellent design.

If I want to process for payments, I can do it fast and easy in Power Apps. If I need to process information from Facebook, from Twitter, or other places, it's really wonderful.

What needs improvement?

For me, it's easier if I have visual references in order to learn the system. However, I'm also Spanish, and the tool is in English. That's one level of difficulty. Another level is that there aren't too many Spanish use cases and examples. It would help if there was more documentation in my native language to help me learn the system more effectively. In English, I don't think this is necessarily a problem. There seems to be a lot of English documentation.

It would be helpful if there was more explanations built right into the solution's interface so that I can understand what action is supposed to get what result.

In terms of usability, when I tried to make an amortization table, I couldn't find an exponential option. I don't know if it's ideal for financial tools that deal with credit or loans. I'm still looking into this.

I've only been using the solution for about four months at this point. It hasn't been too long. I've used Power VA, Power Pivot, and Power Query for a long time, however, in terms of Power Apps, it hasn't been nearly as long.

The tool is good for work. I haven't had issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash.

For me, and the way I am using it, the tool is fine. I'm unsure if it would work on a very large scale for big, big companies.

The initial setup was not complex. It's very easy as it's on the cloud. You don't need to be an expert in order to deploy it.

I'm using a trial version right now. I'm still learning the system, so I haven't moved into a paid version yet.

It's my understanding that the pricing isn't too bad. I've heard other people mention it's not as expensive as Azure in comparison with Linux. One or two licenses may not be too expensive, however, I don't know the exact pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I started working with the common data model and the entities and working with my data warehouse. Now I'm working on my data warehouse with common data series. I use Power Apps for my standard entities' values. I need to modify it now with the new processes that are in place. And in the beginning, I use Power Apps for the management of the entities for Power VA. Since I've started using Power Apps, as I can see it's powerful and makes it easy for many, many, many kinds of work processes.

I'm still trying the solution out, and I'm still learning a lot about it. I'm by no means an expert yet.

I'm pretty satisfied with the product. Overall, I would rate it eight out of ten. It's a good tool and it's nice that it's part of a suite in Microsoft.

Senior Programmer Analyst at Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada
Great cloud aspects and good integration potential but does work differently on different types of devices
  • "The cloud aspect has been great. We don't have to do a lot of research in order to begin integrations. It's so easy to integrate with other solutions."
  • "We're not in production yet, so we're still working through some issues."

What is our primary use case?

We're not in production yet. We're still very much in the early stages of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The solution works well with Microsoft Teams. We used to use Skype for Business, and now we rely on Microsoft Teams Enterprise E5.

There's great integration with Dynamics 365, Office 365, and more. It's great that everything is easily connected.

We can use the solution from cell phones, tablets, or computers. It works on every platform and in every environment.

What needs improvement?

The solution does work a bit differently on cell phones and tablets.

We still have information on our SQL server and we need to migrate things over. The timing of doing that is going to be a little tight.

We're not in production yet, so we're still working through some issues. However, by the time we are in production, I'm confident this solution will be ready.

I've been working with the solution for about six months at this point.

The stability of the solution is quite good. Of course, if we run into any issues, technical support is right there to help us, and they are very helpful.

We have more than 1,500 users in our organization. There are other users that will also be able to access the solution from the outside. With this particular solution, in terms of maintenance and direct work on it, we started off as a team of four, however, now we are a team of ten. We needed some more people to maintain the surrounding software. However, overall, it's been good.

We're not a small organization. We're pretty big. It's easier to focus on smaller projects rather than trying to implement something that's large scale.

We've found the technical support to be very good. They are always right there, ready to assist. We can open tickets 24 hours a day. If they are critical, they are dealt with quickly.

Our company is quite large. With 1,500 or so people, changes take a while to implement. It's not like a small organization where you can do everything quickly. You need to make sure people know how to use it.

In general, the full deployment took a few months.

I don't have too much information on licensing It is likely per application we use, or per machine. I don't deal directly with billing and therefore don't have the exact pricing.

What other advice do I have?

We have a very good and very close relationship with Microsoft.

I started working more on PowerApps as we were making a comparison with Salesforce. We decided on PowerApps mostly due to the fact that Salesforce would not work.

We have to maintain our current environment, so at some point, it's not that we are 100% in these new tools. Right now we have more than 60% of our time in these new tools and try to not develop any coding. We do make some code in JavaScript, however, it isn't too much.

It's a good solution. There is some coding needed for customization aspects, however, it's a pretty solid product.

There's still a lot that I need to learn about the solution. Therefore, currently, I'd rate it at a seven out of ten. We're not in production yet, and therefore it's hard to gauge many aspects of the solution.

Yen-Ju Su - PeerSpot reviewer
Deputy Manager at Ernst & Young
Easy to use and set up with great automation capabilities
  • "It is easy to design automation processes."
  • "We'd like more features and less to no coding."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to integrate with enterprise solutions like SAP and other enterprise solutions. It's highly integrated and highly secured.

How has it helped my organization?

Externally or internally, we have several business processes that need to be automated. We write evaluations and also evaluate business procedures to see how they can be simplified. Power Apps is one of the solutions that we mostly use in our company to automate processes. We also have several clients who use it to automate SAP processes. This is the most critical business function in clients' core mission.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use. We create great user experiences.

The track-to-use function is great.

It is easy to design automation processes.

The initial setup is mostly pretty simple.

Users don't have to have any technical competence in order to begin creating automation.

What needs improvement?

We'd like to have access to previewed content and preset options. If we could preview content for specific software, that would be ideal.

The user experience could continue to be improved upon.

We'd like more features and less to no coding.

I've been using the solution for three to four months.

It is s stable product and I have found the performance and reliability to be good. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is scalable. It's also adjustable.

We have around 200 people using the product.

We do plan to increase usage.

The product is fully supported by Microsoft. We have a ticket for tracking issues. There's also a community around it that can assist. They are quite responsive.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We've also used Blue Prism and UiPath. Since most of the automation processes are based on Microsoft technology like Excel and other Microsoft-related solutions, and Power Apps is based on Microsoft technology and is highly integrated with those solutions, it made sense to switch.

It's a stand-alone solution and uses connectivity to the software we want to automate. It's not hard to set up or to start automating things.

I'd rate the solution a four out of five in terms of ease of setup. It's not overly difficult.

We were able to deploy the product in about a week.

We have 50 to 100 people maintaining the solution.

I handled the implementation myself as I started out using it for testing purposes. I did not have outside assistance.

I don't handle the licensing aspect of the solution. It's handled by another team.

It's my understanding we pay around $150 to $200 USD per user.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution.

I'd recommend the solution. It works so well with other Microsoft solutions. It also could reduce the workforce and release employees from redundant daily tasks.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft PowerApps Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022