Microsoft Power Apps OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Power Apps is the #1 ranked solution in top Low-Code Development Platforms and #2 ranked solution in top Rapid Application Development Software. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Power Apps an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Microsoft Power Apps is most commonly compared to Mendix: Microsoft Power Apps vs Mendix. Microsoft Power Apps is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 16% of all views.
Microsoft Power Apps Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Power Apps Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Microsoft Power Apps?

Microsoft Power Apps is a rapid application development software and low-code development platform. The solution consists of a suite of apps, services, connectors, and a data platform. It provides an environment for building custom apps which is suitable for different businesses.

Microsoft Power Apps allows users to not only build applications, but also connect them to Microsoft's other sources, including the underlying data platform Microsoft Dataverse, as well as online and on-premise sources such as SharePoint, Dynamics 365, and Microsoft 365. The applications built using Microsoft Power Apps have a responsive design that makes them suitable for work in browsers and on mobile applications on different devices.

The no-code side of the product makes it suitable for complete beginners to app building, allowing them to easily create fully functional applications with many features. The solution also has a specialized platform for developers where specialists can access data and metadata, create custom connectors, integrate with external data, and apply business logic. The solution allows users to create three types of apps: canvas, model-driven, and portal. They are made using:

• Power Apps Studio: Canvas apps are designed through Power Apps Studio. This app designer is suitable for complete beginners, as the app creation process resembles the building of presentations in Microsoft PowerPoint.

• App Designer: Model-driven apps are created through App Designer. The creation process allows users to define the sitemap and add components to build the application.

• Power Apps Portals Studio: This is a What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) design tool. It is suitable for portal applications, as it allows users to add and configure web pages, forms, components, and lists.

Microsoft Power Apps Features

The three different design tools of the solution, Power Apps Studio, App Designer, and Power Apps Portals Studio, come with various features which allow users to utilize the tools. Some of these features include:

• Common Data Service (CDS): The data storage feature of the solution allows users to store and manage the data used for business applications securely. The data within the feature is stored among a set of entities, including a base set of standard entities as well as user-made custom ones, using Power Query. The data within CDS can be used to build apps.

• Cloud connectivity: Microsoft Power Apps has the ability to connect with various types of cloud services. It can connect with MS CDS, as well as SQL, DropBox, and Google Drive.

• Sharing feature: The tool has a feature for sharing built applications. Users can share the app they have created with users within the same organization as them.

• Role-based feature: The product allows organizations to assign their employees roles within the platform. This is done to create customization based on the assigned roles, potentially eliminating issues that a completely free access can create.

• AI automation: The tool has a feature that utilizes artificial intelligence (AI). It provides users with an AI builder and pre-built AI components to facilitate the application building process.

• APIs feature: Microsoft Power Apps facilitates the app-building process through application program interfaces (APIs).

• Collaboration support: The tool supports collaboration within the organization in the application building process. Through this feature, multiple employees can contribute to the creation of an app.

Microsoft Power Apps Benefits

The product brings various benefits to organizations and individuals who utilize it. Some of the biggest advantages of Microsoft Power Apps include:

• The solution saves time for organizations by eliminating manual coding and providing ready-to-use solutions.

• Applications built on the product can be made compatible with various platforms, including the web, Windows, Android, and iOS.

• The premium connectors and wide integration of the platform allow developers to use data from Microsoft and from third-party services to build their applications.

• The no-code capability enhances mobility and innovations within companies.

• The AI feature of the product allows companies to increase their productivity through prebuilt AI scenarios.

• The tool offers various ways to follow the data from the created applications, allowing companies to benefit from the reports of the performance of their apps.

• Professional developers receive a platform to follow crucial metrics and access the application development in detail.

• Power Apps can be connected across the entire Microsoft Power Platform, allowing organizations to utilize all features that the provider offers.

Reviews from Real Users

An IT Specialist (INFOSEC) at a government appreciates this tool because it is low-code, low learning curve, and reduces manpower.

Rafael T., a data engineer at NTT Security, likes Microsoft Power Apps, because it is great for making apps quickly, has helpful support, and integrates with Power BI.

Microsoft Power Apps was previously known as PowerApps, MS PowerApps.

Microsoft Power Apps Customers

TransAlta, Rackspace, Telstra

Microsoft Power Apps Video

Microsoft Power Apps Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Power Apps pricing:
  • "Typically, it's $20 per user, per month, commercial. For the government, on a per user basis, what we were looking at is $11.23 per month."
  • "It is comparable to other similar solutions."
  • Microsoft Power Apps Reviews

IT Specialist (INFOSEC) at a government with 10,001+ employees
    Low-code, low learning curve, and reduces manpower
    • "The solution works great and is stable."
    • "As far as dealing with SharePoint, it'll allow you to ha manage up to 2000 rows, however, performance-wise, they're recommending that you just keep it at the default of 500 rows."

What is our primary use case?

The one that we currently have is only to SharePoint Online as we want to be able to have analysts be able to maintain data, and we want a graphical user interface, a GUI front end, to do that. Especially if it's interfaced with PowerBI, it allows analysts to have a research tool to identify what data needs to be updated right there, and to then be able to do that through PowerApps is a huge benefit. Right now, we're only able to write back to SharePoint Online.

How has it helped my organization?

Right now, it's only write-back to a SharePoint Online list, however, I have proof of concepts. I've got a business case that I'm currently trying to get pushed through. I've got other services within our organization that I need to get buy-in from so that we can get this business case approved and get the funding.

What is most valuable?

The write-back capability right now is just SharePoint Online, however, hopefully, we'll get the funding and subscriptions so that we can get write-back to our SQL server database. Of course, this is for our analysts within business architecture so that they can maintain the metadata, the relationships, and the mappings. Those are the biggest things that we need to have analysts able to do - the research, analysis to identify what data needs to be updated for those relationships and giving them a front end, a form to go in and edit, either create rows or modify existing, whatever needs to be done to the table.

What needs improvement?

We're one of the administrations within a governmental organization and I wish that they would make it and just provide it to those environments that are still on-premise for their relational databases, which we are. We're stuck on this on-premise environment, however, we don't have the premium connectors subscriptions for those. It's something we require.

As far as dealing with SharePoint, it'll allow you to ha manage up to 2000 rows, however, performance-wise, they're recommending that you just keep it at the default of 500 rows. Beyond that though, I don't know too much about its limitations. Having to do export and import from SharePoint Online and then in the SQL server, the solution is obviously there, if you can get the premium connection.

I'd much rather have the gallery set in a tablet or a normal computer, more of a landscape setting than what you would think you would see for a cell phone.

Microsoft Power Apps
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Power Apps. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We just started pursuing the solution with our write-back capability. We have not used it for more than three months. We've actually put a proof of concept together.

The solution works great and is stable. My obstacle is being able to demonstrate it and show its value to other leaders within the organization. I don't have issues with it crashing or freezing, for example.

While we're still in the early days and need to develop it more, I'll be asking for 30 subscriptions initially. Within business architecture here, we're probably going to be somewhere between 10 to 15 analysts. Right now, we may only have ten as we are still building the business case.

It's unlimited where you can implement this. The scalability just depends. With the continued support within an in-house setup, you can make it what you want. It's my understanding that the scalability is really unlimited.

We have an office within OIT and they have office hours. They've got a site, however, it's specifically for PowerBI. I don't know that there has been a whole lot of movement to get support for PowerApps, maybe since the value hasn't been realized we haven't really explored support options.

If more people saw how you could utilize PowerApps integrated with PowerBI to maintain data, we might have more questions and need more support.

BISL is the name of the support group we use. They have weekly meetings and office hours and are more focused on PowerBI. They've got a contract with Microsoft personnel that support this BISL team and specifically PowerBI. I don't know if they're going to expand that level of support and also include PowerBI. I would hope so.

We used asp.net. The main platform we are using has asp.net, Cascading Style Sheets, CSS, Hypertext Markup Language, HTML5, jQuery, and JavaScript Library. It's a high code solution. Having to put an IIS web and app server and develop all this and HTML and C# and all these other languages that you would end up having to learn, it's a huge learning curve compared to putting something together in PowerApps. The learning curve for PowerApps for whatever you're trying to do is going to be under two weeks, whereas trying to learn ASP.net, that environment and all the other suite of stuff that you have to have and get resources too and all that, you're talking months. There are a lot of costs involved when it's so high code, and a lot of time. Using PowerApps would save time and money. There's also the risk that if the person you assign a task to goes away, you lose all of their work or cannot continue it.

There's a learning curve with any new tool, so it's going to be somewhere between a three and a four out of five in terms of ease of setup. It just depends on the person's experience and working with these types of tools, as to how well they understand and are able to work through that.

Once you have a concept of what to do, I'd say it takes less than two weeks to implement. With that initial building out of your very first PowerApps set of forms to accomplish what you're trying to do, you're going to tweak and enhance in the end. I just put this filter or search capability and sort capability on a couple of columns. Implementing new features and adding additional buttons, et cetera, will be something you are going to be doing along the way. You're going to continue to enhance it when you discover new capabilities you want to implement. It's a work in progress to roll it out and it's continual. That said, for the initial rough draft of something, from concept to actually putting it together, it's going to be just a week to maybe two weeks to do.

There is a learning curve for the initial cost of doing it. That said, I would definitely consider this a low-code job. It's definitely not high code. There's low to mid-level coding involved.

We're very limited in terms of users for deployment and maintenance. Staff within my office that would actually develop the PowerApps forms and implement and train up the other analysts are only going to be somewhere between three and four. They are program analysts themselves. They aren't IT.

We handled the initial setup ourselves in-house. We didn't use any outside assistance.

We have not yet witnessed any ROI. It is early days. Not until we're really up and running with it will we be able to look at that aspect.

That said, if I were to compare it to other solutions, I'd rate the potential for ROI five out of five. The workload and what you save on manpower will likely be impressive.

We're a federal entity, so we've got a government rate, and this is per user, which is unlimited apps for PowerApps.

Typically, it's $20 per user, per month, commercial. For the government,  on a per user basis, what we were looking at is $11.23 per month.

I'd rate the pricing five out of five in terms of affordability. It's way cheaper than the commercial price. That said, I know if that's just an introductory price to get you into it. Then they're going to boost the price up. It won't stay at $11.23.

I'm not aware of any other costs above and beyond the licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user.

We're likely using the latest version. We just started using the product a few months ago and then we likely also have the IT team keeping everything up to date.

I'd advise new users to not be in an on-premise environment; be in the Azure Government Cloud.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

If you're looking for a GUI front end to maintain your data, that interfaces with PowerBI, this has to be up there in terms of best options. And the learning curve is low. It is very compatible with whatever you're doing in the Power Platform environment.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
    RafaelTardelli - PeerSpot reviewer
    Data Engineer at NTT Security
    Great for making apps quickly, has helpful support, and integrates with Power BI
    • "I like the galleries, which are really powerful."
    • "In my experience, the solution's deployment can be tricky."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is for rapid application development software.

There is a specific environment, in part a platform of PowerApps, in which you can just deploy the solutions and then you share the link with the users and they are able to open them using iPads or mobile devices, or even a computer.

We have been working to build a maintenance events app for assets, it's an app to manage and show all the assets that have been working or down for maintenance in an operation, inside one bigger mining company. They have many trucks and many other, let's say, machines in the operation and sometimes they have to put these machines just through a maintenance mode, to see what's happening, or to change some part specifically, or even if the machine is having some kind of issue. That's due to the fact that if it's down, they have to manage how long it's down and what was the part that was the issue, the cause of the issue. They have to change the parts and everything's very costly in terms of money for the company when we have one specific asset that's down.

Previously, they were using a board in a room, just to manage all these statuses.  Instead of this, now we have one specific app that is working in live modes in almost real-time. Just getting the data from the services and showing it on a big board in PowerApps can show what's happened, what's the status, and what's the reason for the issue. This app allows for adding some comments. It's a collaborative app where many people can just go there and add comments and notes about what's happening with the machine.

What is most valuable?

There are many things there that I like about the solution. I like the galleries, which are really powerful. I like the way that we can build forms very quickly.

In terms of timing to develop, PowerApps is very fast. We can integrate with Power BI. You can just show the Power BI report embedded in PowerApps, and it works really nicely.

What needs improvement?

In my experience, the solution's deployment can be tricky.

In my experience, it was not good as it was giving errors around the tables and I couldn't find what was happening. I had to break it down into different solutions - one solution containing all the tables and the second solution containing the application, plus the power domain that I had for this particular application. It's something that's not good, in terms of the way that things work.

When I added Power Automate into the solution, for some reason it disappeared from my Power Automate page, as it was added inside the solution. It was very, very weird. It may be a bug.

There's a primary interface and integration feature and we build some HL processes there. However, suddenly after adding this part, and automating the solution to deploy it, it was just not available for me anymore and I had to go inside the solution and open the MS files from there instead of the usual place where all the Power Automates are created. It was like a bug and also. In terms of the issues that I have with the solution feature inside PowerApps, I didn't like it. I've seen this too complicated. It's something that Microsoft has to improve.

The speed and performance could be better. PowerApps sometimes gets stuck, gets slow and I don't have any reason for why it's happening. Suddenly you are trying to see the rows on your screen and you just have a wait to get the results back, then there's nothing happening. These things look like an environmental issue, however, I don't know if it's something about the localization or something else.

We'd like our option in terms of licensing that can be paid by the app and not by users. That could be something good. Just the way that they charge the license, it's too much. There are not many options. They could give a little bit more flexibility to choose in terms of options for a license.

I've used the solution for six months.

It's stable, however, sometimes it is slow.

There are no issues about the connection falling. Just, when you are using it, suddenly the page is broken. There is no issue yet, sometimes it gets a little bit frozen and you're waiting a little bit more time to gather results. The table is not a big table with many, many rows, so why is it taking so long, so much time to get the answer back from the app? That's the main issue. There's a performance problem. It's not a stability question.

It's scalable if we're talking about the database, about data warehouse, however, not about PowerApps. PowerApps is not scalable. It's scalable, in the sense that the app you can share for many users, however, you have to pay by user. Scalability isn't really applicable.

We're still not running it fully. We're just prepared to start testing.

We've dealt with technical support in the past.

We had some little situations where we couldn't get the help as we needed, however, that was a limitation in the tool - it was not an issue with them.

For the most part, they are really good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

IN terms of the initial setup, we have to choose which kind of approach we are going to use in PowerApps, as PowerApps has different strings. You can choose PowerApps Canvas, or you can choose a driving app, and that's a little bit different. In my case, I chose a PowerApps combo as I needed a little bit more in terms of flexibility and in terms of how I build this topic they screen.

In terms of the development, it's quick, really it's quick, however, it's not the fastest way to develop and there are some other solutions in the market that are faster in some ways. In terms of deployment, in my experience, when you're going to deploy perhaps an application, you have to build a solution and a solution and it's a little bit tricky. You have to add all the components to the solution and, after that, you have to export the solution and import the solution into the production environment. We have an environment for development and a second environment for production.

The application is deployed, however, it's not in use yet. They are just preparing to start testing the application and once they finalize the test, the app is going to go live.

After I passed over all these little issues that I had, it was quick to deploy. It was just a question of minutes. When we export the solution and import the solution back, it's easy. However, all the processes to be able to finally get over these issues and everything, it took me four weeks just to realize what was going on and handle it.

I was the one that deployed the solution.

In terms of ROI,  I didn't see any. However, if you look at the cost of building an app, the coding costs would be much higher without this solution. You can save months of development time and the money needed to deploy the solution. In that sense, the ROI is awesome.

The licensing is restrictive and can get expensive as you have to pay per user, not per app. It's a range of users. For example, if you go above 50 users, you need to pay more.

If you compare it with competitors like Google, they are more expensive than Google. Google has another option that's a PowerApps competitor called AppSheets and AppSheets is cheaper than PowerApps.

What other advice do I have?

We are Microsoft partners.

I'm using the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

There are some things that need improvement in some ways to make the tool better. However, it's very powerful and it's very fast to deploy something. It's great.

Other
    Microsoft Power Apps
    November 2022
    655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Associate Director at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    User-friendly, easy for beginners, and reliable
    • "The solution becomes easier the set up once you get used to it."
    • "It's easy to use."

What is our primary use case?

We predominantly use the product for a lot of intake forms. There is a lot of data collection and a lot of intake forms. We use Power Application for validation rather than using spreadsheets. It's good for automation, where we need a data repository of the input, which we get from the resource.

What is most valuable?

It's extremely user-friendly. It's easy to use. Of course, it's a local tool, however, if you're aware of some of the basic Microsoft products, you can really get on with it. That's something which is really wonderful.

Even a beginner can set up a Power App and run with it. That's one of the most important features when it comes to the adoption of Power Apps.

The solution becomes easier the set up once you get used to it.

It's a stable product.

The solution has the potential to scale.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see some of the connectors which they have right now to be more basic. The ones they have right now, they claim, are premium connectors. They should make that a little more affordable and have it in the free version. Some of the basic databases like SQL should be part of their normal connectors, and it should necessarily be premium.

It can be a bit more difficult to set up the first time.

They have a feature that integrates well with Power BI, however, it is not seamless. We'd like a better, more seamless integration with Power BI in the future.

They need more of a font selection. If I'm in Excel and I'm using a particular font, I'm limited in terms of which I can use. It should allow for use of any fonts under Microsoft 365.

We've been using Power Apps for the last two years or so.

The solution is stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

It is scalable if we integrate with other applications like Power Automate and connect it with some other applications or some other databases like SQL. That said, in the current arrangement with SharePoint, we have some limitations. The moment the data increases, if we're able to integrate Power Automate, then surely it becomes a scalable application. Right now it can be scaled, however, it's not something that we are looking to do.

There are maybe 60 to 70 users at this point of time actively giving us data, however, there could be other applications that people are using.

In terms of technical support, we do have a governance team. The IT governance is a security team who helps us navigate through issues. We raise requests internally within our organization to help us see where the issue is, and they will escalate as required. They might reach out to Microsoft support to kind of get it sorted. That said, we have not found any major issues so far. If we do, our internal team is the first team to go to.

We previously used mostly manual consolidation using Excel, emails, and things like that. There was no other tool before. That said, we used normal Office productivity tools like Excel and Outlook. We went with Power App since we were already using Microsoft and Office 365, which helps us to integrate multiple other Microsoft solutions. That's the reason we thought Power Apps would be the best way for us. It also integrates with SharePoint and is easy to build in.

The initial setup was not straightforward, however, once you get a hang of it, then it's pretty simple to create things. From a documentation perspective, it's kind of a good guide that they have as far as Power Apps is concerned. It's easy to get started. Like any tool, you have to spend some time understanding and navigating around it. There is just a normal learning curve that is required as with application. You won't really find it that difficult if you are ready to invest the time to learn the tool. There's a moderate level of complexity.

It was not that effort-intensive, yet it definitely took us close to three weeks to create our first app on Power Apps, which was mostly SharePoint driven and had pretty decent complexities. It was not a very straightforward application. It took a fairly decent time. It was not a very long-term project, it was short-term, and we could manage to do it in three weeks.

We have not found it difficult to maintain Power Apps. It's pretty straightforward. We haven't had any challenges so far.

Everything was handled in-house.

Right now, we are using an enterprise license without the premium connectors at this point. For Power Automate, we are definitely going to need some licenses which we're exploring.

Depending upon the user requirements, we're still exploring the licensing requirement. Most of the applications that we leverage are without any cost other than the normal license which we are paying for as part of Office 365. We'll take additional licenses depending on the solution and the need.

What other advice do I have?

We have performed a lot of other projects on the Power platform, which is a Microsoft product. So we have used Power App and Power Automate to do many of our automation initiatives.

We are working with the latest version of the solution.

I'd advise potential new users to have the UI designed well in advance. Articulate the flow in which you want to create your Power Apps so that you can save time. Then, do a dry run using Excel as well. It's important when you're using Power Applications, to have your UI design and the BRD clearly articulated, otherwise it might take a little longer to implement Power Apps. Once you have everything in readiness, it will be easy.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Principal at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
    Great for quickly making apps, with reasonable pricing, but doesn't scale well externally
    • "The solution is excellent at figuring how to build an application in three months. It makes it very quick and easy."
    • "The documentation isn't great. It's only 75% of what you need to know. If you go beyond that and run into issues, it's really not going to help you."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for its business application. My business needed an application and so that's what we're using Power Apps for.

How has it helped my organization?

We've been pleased with it. I would say that it has improved the way our organization functions. It makes app-building faster and easier.

What is most valuable?

The solution is excellent at figuring how to build an application in three months. It makes it very quick and easy.

The pricing is very reasonable. it's not overly expensive.

What needs improvement?

I can't recall any missing features. Currently, the solution is doing a good job of meeting my needs.

My target is to have an application that I can use for clients. I don't see Power Apps as being the long-term solution. They get expensive when you start to go to non-internal users. If there were to be external users, the solution would get expensive.

For example, the software is almost guilty of being too powerful. The particular problem I had was that they recommended that I use Azure to do the login, to do the user authentication. Therefore, I set it up. However, it didn't work. I could not find the solution via documentation or online at all. Without knowing I could access technical support, I paid someone a couple of hundred dollars to try and figure it out for me and they couldn't figure it out. Eventually, I was just looking around and I came across one setting hidden away and it was set to false. I instinctively realized that it looked like it might be related and so I set it to true and all of a sudden everything worked. However, that whole issue could have been mitigated if the documentation just took that extra step and got into the nuances of the product.

What I'd love to see them do is to sit down and clean up the interfaces. There are three different ways that you can program. I'm particular to using a Power Apps portal. There are three different ways I can edit my Power Apps portal website. Each of them kind of does a better job of doing some things than the other ones do. Therefore you're kind of in this in-between realm of having to choose between certain things if you decide to go with a specific approach. They really need to clean up the development environment so that t's straightforward and predictable across the different ways to program.

It does things, such as, if you want to delete a particular field or table, you get this message that says you can't due to the fact that it has dependencies. It's really hard to find what those dependencies are. Items like that need to be clarified.

The application is working great now, however, every once in a while it gets complicated and it's hard to navigate.

I've recently delved into using the product. I've been using the solution for at least the last seven or eight months or so. It's been less than a year. I haven't used it that long just yet.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. its performance is reliable.

The scalability is limited if you want to scale externally. A company needs to keep that in mind.

I only launched my first application sometime around Christmas, or just after. It's still quite new. I have about a dozen or so people that move in and out of it. It's just a small app.

As a company, we are quite small. All of our users would be external. And, due to the fact that the solution gets expensive for external users, it's not a solution we plan to expand upon or use for the long term.

The technical support is not easy to find. It's a bit of a well-kept secret. However, once you locate them, they are quite helpful and responsive.

Truthfully, they are hard to find due to the fact that you just don't realize they're there. I had spent a month, six weeks phoning around trying to find internet solutions to problems and resources and paying people to help me, and nobody knew the answer.

This was done without ever realizing that there was a very capable tech support resource available in Power Apps through the subscription. Once we found them, they were able to fix all of the issues we were struggling with very quickly.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the setup process. It's not overly complex.

The pricing is excellent. It's not too expensive.

However, once you get into adding non-internal users, the solution can get pricey. It's only reasonable if you are trying to create internal team-based apps.

I haven't looked at any other low-code development platform.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users.

We are using the latest version of the solution.

From a perspective of me doing a full test of the application and how I want it to run, it just met all of my needs and there are other storage locations for data. That said, the data is sitting in the CDS.

From my perspective, it was a great place to start and a great place to sit and test the waters. I'm looking to migrate it into something else in a little while. I won't stay with it forever. That's not the plan.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Ameer Ali - PeerSpot reviewer
    Executive Director at Ali 4 Solutions FZE
    Creates applications quickly, is simple to use, has competitive pricing, and is easy to scale
    • "When I am developing any user UI, it gives me complete flexibility. I can manage in any way I want."
    • "When it comes to PowerApps, debugging can be difficult at times. It would be beneficial to simplify it."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT consulting company. We provide IT solutions to other companies.

We have had a few different requirements, one requirement was to create a simple online form that can be used by the clinics. When patients arrive, they will be given a TAB, to complete the form, which will be printed directly to the receptionist, once they complete the form.

Another application was supply chain management. Using PowerApps, we replicated the entire supply chain management. The corporate users will send the requisition to the purchasing department for review and approval, after which it will be distributed to prospective vendors.

Vendors will then submit their quotes for review. Multiple quotes can also be reviewed concurrently. This is all done with PowerApps. After they have reviewed them, they can select a vendor and process the PO.

In the third scenario, we developed a public relations system that you would find here in the UAE.

PROs must manage and obtain visa permissions in the United Arab Emirates. We have documentation with a two-year expiration date. As a result, we've developed a document management system that uses a Power Automated workflow system to view the alert and process the documents for all employees.

These are the workflows that we have worked on recently and have been created using Microsoft PowerApps and Power Automate.

What is most valuable?

Because there is no need for lengthy code, applications can be created quickly. That's the beauty of PowerApps in general, whether I'm using Power Automate or PowerApps for UI development. And the UI is very user-friendly.

When I am developing any user UI, it gives me complete flexibility. I can manage in any way I want.

It is constantly being improved. I've been using it for three years and have noticed that upgrades are happening on a regular basis, and it's becoming more and more user-friendly, both for developers and for users.

We can now also share it on Microsoft Teams. As a result, it is becoming increasingly powerful.

It is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

A web interface is one thing that I don't see. I can create an interface for mobiles and tabs but only for PowerApps.

If you can have something like Power Web with it, that will be a classic because we are developing user interfaces, but we cannot access those user interfaces using a browser.

If we can get into that mode of publishing for the public users, which is something different, and I am not sure how that can be done, but I'm sure we can come up with something.

We occasionally have some issues where we can't grant access until and unless a user is created in Active Directory. This is something that should be worked on, and when it is, it will be powerful.

I have been working with Microsoft PowerApps for three years.

We are working with the latest version.

We have not had any performance issues, or any other issues, because it is on the cloud.

We are completely satisfied with Microsoft PowerApp's stability.

Because almost everyone uses Office 365, it is very simple to scale Microsoft PowerApps.

Our company has five developers among its users. Our clients, on the other hand, vary; we have one client who has over 500 users.

I've spoken with technical support, and they're fantastic. They provide you with a very good response from the moment you launch your ticket.

On a few occasions, when I launched a ticket, I receive full support and they were able to help me with everything.

We use Office 365 online which includes Microsoft PowerApps, Power Automate, and Power BI.

The initial setup is extremely simple for me. I am an IT professional, but it is easy, even for others.

I have worked with many who have been using other tools and when they were introduced to PowerApps, they expressed that it is amazing.

It didn't take long for me to install, only a couple of minutes, because I've been using Office 365 since 2013, but I've never used PowerApps before. I started only recently, in 2018.

One of my clients asked me to create a small app in PowerApps for him. That's where we began. I had a PowerApps application ready in a week.

We don't require any maintenance as it is on the cloud.

Microsoft's pricing is comparable with other similar solutions.

I had evaluated Mendix. We prefer Microsoft, we have used Microsoft from the beginning.

What other advice do I have?

I am a VB developer. I began my career in 1995 or 1996. I'm a die-hard VB developer, and I love PowerApps because, I used to write a lot of code, but now with PowerApps, things are so simple and easy, we can have customized applications for end users in no time at all.

Aside from standard ERP and solutions, businesses still have a high demand for customized or tailor-made user interfaces. That is where I believe PowerApps is extremely useful.

As an IT company, I would strongly recommend this solution to anyone who is interested. It is one of the best tools available. If you are a Microsoft fan, you will definitely enjoy this product.

As IT consultants we have provided support and trained a couple of customers who are using it and also enjoying it.

I would rate Microsoft PowerApps a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
    Director, Product Management at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Great for making apps quickly, and quick to get started, but an immature product
    • "As a business person, I design a lot of screens. The solution really resonates with me. Their design is amazing."
    • "The solution needs a bit more refinement in general."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to create apps for business users which navigates them from within our platforms.

What is most valuable?

There are lots of good videos on Youtube that are available to help users train themselves on the product and understand its intricacies. They have a workshop that allows you to learn the product in a day.

You are able to create a screen app within a day once you get the hang of everything.

There are great templates on offer that make creating apps easy. They have galleries that help you pick predefined templates. You can also standardize these. It's low effort and low code. However, if you want to code more and have code validation or mobile, you can do that as well.

They have a web version of the solution, as well as a version for tablets.

What needs improvement?

The solution is pretty difficult to understand. You need to educate yourself on the product in order to be able to effectively use it.

The solution needs a bit more refinement in general.

It's still a new product. There's a lot of improvements that can be made from a useability perspective.

There needs to be better guides and documentation available for new users in order to help them properly understand the product and how to use it.

I started using the solution after Power Automate, and therefore I started learning more about Power Apps probably last year in August. I would estimate I started on it in or around July and August of last year.

The solution is definitely stable. I haven't had any issues with it in that regard. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's good.

Scalability-wise, I haven't put any complexity behind my apps yet. I haven't really experimented with scaling them up. From what I can see on the tutorial videos I've found, it seems to be possible. However, I have not directly attempted to scale anything so far. I couldn't speak from personal experience on the matter. I'd love for it to be possible.

I do plan to increase usage in the future. There are a few people who have seen my apps who have definitely reached out to me and said, "Oh, this is great." I help them understand how you can use Power Apps themselves as not many people knew about the product before they saw my work.

More and more people are using it within the organization. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, however. I still have not set up any session for Power Apps for training. I've done sessions for Power Automate, Excel, Word, and SharePoint. There just needs to be more training for awareness. This is a relatively new product. Maybe that's why it doesn't yet have the visibility.

I don't really use technical support at all. All my questions when I reached out to technical support, were directing me to Power Apps In a Day - the training session. I did that and they'd answer all my questions. I did have a few questions based on a few functionalities, which I went on the Microsoft site to find answers to. I basically found two blogs. I understood that those functionalities are not yet there. I put down my feedback in terms of it should be there or not. Then that was it.

I don't really directly communicate with Microsoft technical support. You need to go out and find your own answers online.

We did not previously use a different solution.

There isn't an implementation process for the product. It is on the cloud. Everything is pretty automatic. In that sense, it's rather straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult. It's on the user accounts. I just go ahead and start creating my app from there.

I'm not sure of the cost of the solution. That's not an aspect of the solution I handle.

What other advice do I have?

I am using the latest version of the solution. I'm unsure of the exact version number.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

In general, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. We've mostly been satisfied with the product, however, it is still immature and needs time for tweaks and advancements.

WilliamBowers - PeerSpot reviewer
    CEO at Vertical Symmetry
    Mature, fast development, allows you to build sophisticated business logic
    • "When compared with Microsoft Power Automate, it is a bit more mature, and we're able to build things pretty rapidly."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Power Automate is primarily used to update some legacy systems for our client, as well as government compliance systems and web-based reporting systems that don't have APIs. Microsoft PowerApps has the same use case. It's the front end and is the part that is interacting with the client and interacting with the collected data.

What is most valuable?

We really like Microsoft PowerApps. When compared with Microsoft Power Automate, it is a bit more mature, and we're able to build things pretty rapidly.

It's a different paradigm to build around, and it's a different programming paradigm. It's more like Excel in that you build formulas and pieces, but we've been able to build some fairly sophisticated business logic inside of it. As a result, we believe that is much more mature. I'd say that's around an eight, eight and a half, out of ten.

What needs improvement?

I believe, Microsoft PowerApps is still in its early stages. I believe it is far more mature and integrated. I would say the programming language, because the drag and drop, low code, no code, its nice to get started, but you really want to be able to work as a programmer with an IDE and real code, and we've been able to start to do that a little bit and integrate a lot of JavaScript with RPA, with Power Apps I haven't been able to do that. I believe there is a way to do it by putting the data into Git. I just haven't used it yet, and haven't needed to.

As it's a cloud-based app, the development environment has some really nice parts and some that are a little clunky, but overall, I'd say it's a good product.

We have been using Microsoft PowerApps a bit longer than we have been using Microsoft Power Automate.

We haven't fully launched a product yet, but I will say that development is quick and we can make changes quickly. I can't speak to the app's scalability just yet.

I've only used it through an RPA. We either did it for many years, or we did it by hand with JavaScript. We would use some tools to actually grab for web-based things, not desktop-based. We wrote tools that would allow us to take control of the website and then modify it on the fly while automating these processes.

We did it all with secure JavaScript, which is a lot of work and custom code, and it's difficult to maintain, so having a tool like an RPA tool, where we can take that business logic, put it in there, and then somebody who knows the stuff can come around after us and go, okay, I see what they did there, would be great.

We believe we have exploited the tool and pushed it to its limits, and we are still learning about its strengths and weaknesses. It definitely has room for improvement, but when I give it a seven, I mean it's functional. I can get the job done, but it's far from ideal.

When I say Java, what I mean is that when we were doing automation, we were primarily working on web automation. My phone is dying, so that's why I cut off.

We would write a lot of JavaScript code to automate, automate, and update these external websites that didn't have APIs, that we would read from. We are now reading from spreadsheets and updating data for them, then retrieving data from the results, and this simplified things significantly.

We wanted to see what people were doing with UiPath. I'm not really using it yet. I've looked into it a little bit, but it just hasn't been a driver for this project yet.

What other advice do I have?

I am just using the product. I evaluated a problem and a solution set for a client, and I just evaluated these tools and said, despite their youth, these tools look like they are good. We looked at UiPath, but the price tag was expensive for a nonprofit, so money was an issue. We had a very limited budget from a grant, so we had to work with a toolset that wasn't on par with the Fortune 500. So far, we're pleased with the solution, and it's working. There are days when it is frustrating, but I've been doing this for 40 years and there are always challenges with tools. We do not have a relationship with Microsoft.

I would rate Microsoft PowerApps an eight out of ten.

EVP, Solutions at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
      Easy to set up, integrates well with native systems, and offers good stability
      • "I have found the technical support to be helpful."
      • "When we talk of integrating with external applications, that's one area where, even today, I had to loop in my code developers. If this area can be streamlined so that my techno-functional consultants, who are on-site, can immediately start working on something without the assistance of developers, that would be ideal."

What is our primary use case?

We are into software consulting. We have been developing various solutions and leveraging PowerApps to do it.

What is most valuable?

What I like about it is that it is coming from Microsoft. It is very easy for us, our techno-functional consultants to spin an application in days, not in months.

This is easily integrated with native systems including the Microsoft stack. If we have to integrate with other products such as SharePoint, we can leverage any services using Azure or the same platform.

In terms of scalability, it can scale quite well. It's so scalable with forthcoming technologies. We can develop something in PowerApps, and that can easily be scaled to a bot. We can quickly make a bot there and make it work in conjunction with applications.

We had it integrated earlier with voice channels. You can manage an omnichannel kind of scenario between Voice, Teams, WhatsApp, social integration platforms like Twitter, Facebook, et cetera.

The RPA is very closely integrated onto the same platform and BI as well. It's great.

The initial setup is very easy.

The product is very stable.

I have found the technical support to be helpful.

What needs improvement?

I've used the solution for four and a half or five years.

The stability has been great. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

It's so scalable. We can scale to all the latest technologies and we can integrate with the social platforms. We can integrate with the document management system (SharePoint). We can integrate with the Active Directory exchange server. It's limitless.

It is so much more scalable once you have everything available over in the Dataverse so that you can write triggers and automate a lot of the BPM. Once you have everything with you, you can spin any dashboards, reports, schedules, and then those can go through mail alerts. You can schedule alerts through WhatsApp messages. You can schedule it through voice IVRs. You name a thing, or you can schedule it. You build it over here and then schedule it over there.

My experience with technical support has been very, very hood. They've been very supportive. The only thing is that you have to have the right support plan. If you have one, they adhere to the SLA quite well.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's pretty simple and straightforward.

I have done the initial setup multiple times for the various installations. I can handle it on my own and do not need outside assistance.

The pricing is a subjective thing. Whenever we are positioning PowerApps to an enterprise that is already into Dynamics 365 ER PCRMs, it is very easy to position it as they have already made initial investments there. It is just simply that the number of users that are based on the number of applications and it can be scaled. For them, I've never faced any issues. For example, for a hospital with it, we were already reaching out to, say, 40 units. When they wanted to scale to their smaller units, the 70 of them, it was a cakewalk. Then we had a plan to extend it to their pharmacies, say, 50 of them. That, again, was a cakewalk as they were already on that platform.

However, when I go and reach out to a smaller business SMB segment, the challenge over there is that we are faced with competition - with other software which has been built on PHP. If we host it on-prem, of course, then that discussion of cloud versus on-prem and those fundamental discussions creep in and then there is the minimum unit price per license, meaning per user or per app. When you look at it that way, an SMB will see it as expensive compared with open-source options.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. If the external integration process was easier, I would give it a perfect ten.

Download our free Microsoft Power Apps Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
      Updated: November 2022