Microsoft Azure Application Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway is the #3 ranked solution in top Application Delivery Controllers and #5 ranked solution in top Web Application Firewalls. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Azure Application Gateway an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Microsoft Azure Application Gateway is most commonly compared to Azure Front Door: Microsoft Azure Application Gateway vs Azure Front Door. Microsoft Azure Application Gateway is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Application Delivery Controllers (ADC) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2022

What is Microsoft Azure Application Gateway?

Azure Application Gateway is a web traffic load balancer that enables you to manage traffic to your web applications. Traditional load balancers operate at the transport layer (OSI layer 4 - TCP and UDP) and route traffic based on source IP address and port, to a destination IP address and port.

To learn more about our solution, ask questions, and share feedback, join our Microsoft Security, Compliance and Identity Community.

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway was previously known as Azure Application Gateway, MS Azure Application Gateway.

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Customers

Lilly, AccuWeather, AIRFRANCE, Honeywell

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Video

Archived Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Reviews (more than two years old)

Cloud Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Useful for load balancing and web application firewall, but needs the flexibility for using public IPs

What is our primary use case?

We use it for load balancing and web application firewall. We are using the latest version. We also have version 2.

What is most valuable?

Load balancing and web application firewall features are the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

It does not have the flexibility for using public IPs in version 2.

I have been using Microsoft Azure Application Gateway for more than two years.

Application Delivery Controllers (ADC)
October 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, F5, HAProxy and others in Application Delivery Controllers (ADC). Updated: October 2022.
654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We haven't really tried to scale it much. We have several users in our organization.

We don't need any support at this moment in time. If needed, we also get Microsoft to support us.

It is not that straightforward. There are some issues with the latest application gateway. Deployment is easy and takes only 30-45 minutes, but there are some issues with its configuration.

I deployed it myself along with other colleagues.

It is not expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution depending on the customers' requirements. We have a discussion with the customer and then offer the solution.

I would rate Microsoft Azure Application Gateway a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
Network Administrator at a government with 201-500 employees
Needs better security and functionality, and requires more intelligence to make it competitive
  • "The solution was very easy to configure. It wasn't hard at all to adjust it to our needs."
  • "The security of the product could be adjusted."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution to try to protect a few internet-facing applications that we had.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The functionality needs a lot of improvement.

The security of the product could be adjusted.

The scalability needs improvement.

Overall, it just wasn't a great product. It was lacking in a lot of areas.

Just watching the industry, it could be that Microsoft, is going to have to give more resources to it in order to make it work. Microsoft knows a lot about software. They're going to have to get more resources into it and add people and time to it to make it competitive. They may even need to consider some sort of acquisition to bring in new tech. Right now, the solution just isn't there in terms of what is needed and expected.

The solution simply has to be more comparable to other leading product s at this point. It's just lacking the overall intelligence to compete.

We've been playing around with the solution for about a year at this point.

The stability is good from the standpoint of it works like it was intended to work. That said, it's not really functional enough to be able to have any type of confidence in it. If stability for a company just means that it stands there and it does what it's supposed to do, then, from that standpoint, it's stable.

In terms of scalability, we looked at a lot of different things, and put a lot of work in, including meeting with Microsoft. However, truth be told, we know and Microsoft knows that the product is just not where it needs to be. It's not a secret. Therefore, I wouldn't say it's completely scalable.

Currently, there may be a few hundred people on the solution.

Microsoft has been with us throughout the process, and they've been pretty good from a technical support standpoint. We're satisfied with the level of service we have been provided.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. It wasn't complex.

In terms of the configuration, one of the things users have to understand is that the configuration is very specific. Our knowledge may have slowed the process, however, I don't think it was a bad configuration process. We probably got it done and then tested it over the course of a month, or a few months, or so. That was just testing. Looking at everything within the configuration for what we needed only takes - it end to end - a day.

It doesn't take a genius to get everything up and running. You need a technical person that can follow the directions because you do have things outside of the software that has to be considered, however, it really doesn't take a genius to do it.

We only need three people to maintain the solution and deploy any updates.

I don't handle the billing aspect of the solution, therefore I don't know anything about the licensing costs for it.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

We tend to use the latest versions of the solution.

I wouldn't recommend the solution. I'd advise others to look for something else on the market that has access to a cloud.

I'd rate the solution one out of ten. It's a security product that needs to be functional, and at this point, it's simply not.

Application Delivery Controllers (ADC)
October 2022
654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Security Specialist at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Great customization, provides alerts to our team who can take action
  • "Good customization; able to report and take action on alerts."
  • "Needs easier integration with the existing SIAM."

What is our primary use case?

The company uses this solution and I work along with security architects providing that as part of our recommendations for Azure projects. I'm a security specialist and the company has a maintenance enterprise agreement with Azure.

What is most valuable?

The customization is probably the best feature in my opinion. I haven't yet delved deeper into the product or actually given recommendations, but what I hear from our customers is it's doing the job and our Security Operations Center is able to report and take action on any alerts.

What needs improvement?

The main drawback of the solution is that it's only for Azure. I'd like to see easier integration with the existing SIAM. Even when they do introduce new features, it's in preview for a long time, like the current geo filter option which is in review but it's been there for a long time. Microsoft could introduce preview options more quickly.

I've been using this solution for four months.

This is a stable solution.

It's a scalable solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. I think from accepting the proposal, the entire implementation took us about three weeks. We're using it for around 12 projects within the company. We don't require extra resources for maintenance, if needed we use the existing cloud info team.

The price is competitive and there are no annual licensing fees which helps.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product and easy to deploy, I would just suggest using the application waiver.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
Sukun Jain - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Software Engineer at Varian Medical Systems, Inc.
Secures our internal applications and hides them from outside connections
  • "This is a SaaS product, so it is always up to date."
  • "For the first-time user, it is difficult to understand so the user-interface needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution to hide all of our applications behind the firewall. The application logic and dependencies are not known to the outside world because you don't have to open your external public IP to them.

It does not particularly improve functionality but you get the benefit of the security that is offered by Azure.

How has it helped my organization?

The Azure Application Gateway allows us to hide all of our backend components from our clients.

What is most valuable?

This is a SaaS product, so it is always up to date.

Once the gateway is configured, you can route all of your client requests based on the relevant part. For example, if somebody is asking to upload an image then a separate part will be called, whereas if they are asking to upload a video then it will be a different repository.

What needs improvement?

The documentation is not user-friendly and it is not very easy to use. For the first-time user, it is difficult to understand so the user-interface needs to be improved.

The tutorials are something that can be improved upon.

I would like to see this more of a multitenant solution.

I have been working with the Azure Application Gateway for almost 11 months.

It is a good service that is provided by the vendor and it is stable.

It is getting more scalable as more features are being added.

We have not been in contact with technical support for this solution.

We use Microsoft products for the majority of our applications and we are completely dependent on them. We did use another service prior to this one, which was an internal tool, but we switched to Azure because everything is being controlled by the vendor.

The configuration involves defining all of the routes. This is somewhat complex and is not easily understandable by just anyone. Our deployment took about 15 minutes.

We have an internal team for deployment and maintenance.

We did not evaluate other options before selecting the Azure Application Gateway.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is that it is not a must-have feature, but rather, a security service. If you're ready to bear the cost for security then you should implement the application gateway.

This is a product that is in good shape.

Microsoft Azure
Asst. Vice President at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable and simple to use with good technical support
  • "The simplicity of the solution and its ability to integrate easily with others are its most valuable aspects."
  • "The pricing of the solution could be improved. Right now, it's a bit expensive."

What is most valuable?

The solution has a variety of different features that are all excellent.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the solution could be improved. Right now, it's a bit expensive.

Although the integration is quite good, it could still be improved upon.

The implementation should be further simplified to make it easier to use right from the onset.

I believe I have been using the solution for about a year and a half now.

The solution is quite stable. We didn't run into any bugs. There haven't been glitches or crashes. We find it to be quite reliable.

The solution is scalable. If a company needs to expand it out, they can do so quite easily.

Currently, our company has about 100 employees on it regularly. They are both users and developers. It's a mix of people.

We've been in touch with technical support and have been satisfied with the level of assistance they have been able to provide to our team so far.

We didn't previously use a different platform. This is the first solution we have implemented.

The solution has a quite simple initial setup. We didn't find it to be overly complex.

The solution is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We don't have a business relationship with the solution. We are only customers.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're currently using.

I would recommend to other companies considering the solution to run through a proof of concept first. Everyone's needs are different, so it's important to make sure the solutions you choose are able to meet them effectively. That way, you'll be able to know if the solution will work for your company and if it makes sense to implement it or not.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
it_user704916 - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Team Leader at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
An excellent gateway solution with good control capabilities and great stability
  • "We chose this solution in the first place because it has access to Layer 7. I can control the requests and the content, which I can access on my network if I want to even if it's forbidden access to other external resources. If I want to monitor, for example, traffic, and apply this rule on Layer 7, I can do so. This was our main goal when implementing this application. We wanted to take advantage of the Gateway capabilities."
  • "The pricing of the solution is a bit high. The solution should offer different pricing systems."

What is our primary use case?

The gateway is used to make the application connect to the internet and apply some firewall rules on Layer 7. We primarily use Azure Gateway for printers, some requests, and to apply some security rules to all the traffic that is coming from inside the Azure network.

What is most valuable?

We chose this solution in the first place because it has access to Layer 7. I can control the requests and the content, which I can access on my network if I want to even if it's forbidden access to other external resources. If I want to monitor, for example, traffic, and apply this rule on Layer 7, I can do so. This was our main goal when implementing this application. We wanted to take advantage of the Gateway capabilities.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is stable. We've never faced any stability problems while using it.

While I believe the option to scale exists on Azure, we have never needed to scale. I can't speak to how scalable it actually is. We've had two projects on Azure and we have had as many as 5,000 users on the solution with no problem.

We've never had to deal with technical support, as I don't really use any deep technical items on the solution.

Compared to other public clouds, the price is fairly high. I'm not sure if the pricing model has changed, but I recall it being slightly more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the public cloud deployment model. We are both a customer and a reseller, but I myself have worked with Azure mainly as a customer.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Download our free Application Delivery Controllers (ADC) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, F5, HAProxy, and more!
Updated: October 2022