We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Kemp LoadMaster OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Kemp LoadMaster is #2 ranked solution in top Application Delivery Controllers. PeerSpot users give Kemp LoadMaster an average rating of 10 out of 10. Kemp LoadMaster is most commonly compared to HAProxy: Kemp LoadMaster vs HAProxy. Kemp LoadMaster is popular among the small business segment, accounting for 38% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is Kemp LoadMaster?

Kemp LoadMaster provides High Availability, Scalability and Security for Application Delivery. Optimized load balancers for Hybrid Cloud and Public Cloud deployments. Available for Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS.

Kemp LoadMaster was previously known as LoadMaster Load Balancer.

Kemp LoadMaster Buyer's Guide

Download the Kemp LoadMaster Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Kemp LoadMaster Customers

Kent County Council, KEMP, SMA Solar Technology AG, RT€ Player , Victrix (Quebec, Canada), Texas A&M, Macmillan Cancer Support, Cisco, Austin Bank

Kemp LoadMaster Video

Archived Kemp LoadMaster Reviews (more than two years old)

MohamadBadran
Senior Systems Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
Robust, scalable, cost-effective, and has many templates for load balancing traffic of different types
  • "We really like the performance of this solution."
  • "The GUI is rather technical and complex, so it could be improved by making it simpler and more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for load balancing traffic for solutions such as Exchange and Skype, as well as for web servers using HTTP and SMTP.

Another team is in charge of operating this solution.

What is most valuable?

Most valuable features of the KEMP Loadmaster:
ready-made templates for various well-known applications
stability of the product

What needs improvement?

We would like to see them improve the security by putting a well trusted and very efficient WAF inside the appliance. They currently use an open-source solution for this, but it would be great to include a more secure one because it would be a complete solution in terms of load balancing and security. We are currently researching WAF solutions to implement for our perimeter, so it is on the radar for our model.

The GUI is rather technical and complex, so it could be improved by making it simpler and more user-friendly. This is a very powerful solution that gives you an edge, but some of the features are hard to understand. For example, the configuration values are difficult. The templates help in this regard. Each value is explained in the documentation, but it still needs to be simpler.

I would like to see Active Directory integration for authentication of the admin role, so the usernames are not on the local appliance.

I have been using this solution for four years.

This solution is very stable. If I had to rate it out of ten then I would give it nine-point-eight.

We have the virtual appliance rather than the hardware, so in our case, scalability is easy. It is just a matter of licensing. If you want to add more CPU and RAM then you just upgrade your license and give the virtual machine more resources.

For the hardware appliance, my understanding is that it can scale depending on the environment.

They even have software that can turn any bare metal server into a hardware appliance.

We have six deployments across six offices, and in total there are approximately four thousand users. We do have plans to increase usage as we consolidate some of the servers in our private cloud. This will mean that more users are hitting the same office.

The technical support is great. They are knowledgeable on the technical level, responsive, and give you the solution very quickly. The troubleshoot the issue until the problem is solved.

They communicate by email and by phone and can log in remotely. They send us updates about new versions.

The initial setup of this solution is simple.

They have very good documentation available on their website. The have templated well-known applications to help with load-balancing, and these help you a lot. One example is that they have templates for Exchange.

The return that we get for the money that we pay is very high.

This cost of this solution is not high, and cheaper than their competitors.

The license varies according to the number of megabits. For example, a 200Meg license can handle two hundred megabits per second, concurrently. If you need more then you just upgrade the license.

What other advice do I have?

This product does what is advertised.

In terms of the value you get for the amount of money you pay, this is the number one solution.

For anybody who is implementing this solution, there is nothing to worry about. This product is mature, the documentation is there, and the support is very good. My recommendation is to get the virtual appliance instead of the hardware because it is easy, and that's what we have experience with. You get the same features and it is easy to scale and add more resources.

I would also suggest taking a backup of the configuration just in case they misconfigure something later. It is a complex configuration and if something goes wrong when somebody is changing it, it will break the traffic. You should be very careful when making changes to the configuration.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

it_user1069098
Senior Consultant at Base It
Works well and offers good security features and support
  • "The security features are the most valuable features of this solution."
  • "To make it a perfect ten out of ten it would need better connection logging. If there is an active connection, that there is better logging. It should also have better management monitoring tools."

What is our primary use case?

We implement it for our customers and we have every different version available from Kemp. The primary use case is for load balancing for different applications, mostly Microsoft Exchange. We use the on-prem deployment model.

What is most valuable?

The security features are the most valuable features of this solution.

It works very well. It's a good product that has good support.

We have been using this solution for five years.

It is very stable.

It's very scalable. There are solutions for small customers and very large customers available from Kemp. In terms of users, we have different customers. The largest customer has about 5,000 co-workers.

We are satisfied with technical support.

The implementation is not complex. The deployment took one day.

The price is fine for their solution and what they give back from the product.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten. To make it a perfect ten out of ten it would need better connection logging. If there is an active connection, then there is better logging. It should also have better management monitoring tools.

They have great technical documentation on their website. That would be my recommendation if someone needs to implement Kemp Technology products.

Learn what your peers think about Kemp LoadMaster. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
566,121 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jakob Kvistgaard
Infrastructure Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Provides load-balancing and adds reverse proxy for further security
  • "With Kemp 360 Central, our customers get a nice overview of their Kemp products and an easy way to upgrade firmware on all devices from a single interface."
  • "The auth website of ESP is really lacking. It’s not responsive (mobile friendly) and the procedure of changing the website is difficult. We tend to avoid using pre-auth for that reason."
  • "Several elements of the GUI need work. For example, if you have many content switches, it’s difficult to find the ones you need. And where is the search feature?"
  • "If you want logging for SMTP traffic, you have to enable ESP, which requires you to define allowed IP addresses. That’s irritating, to say the least."
  • "It lacks an officially supported, well-written SCOM Management Pack."

What is our primary use case?

I have worked with Kemp products for at least 10 years, as a consultant. In most cases, they are used for load balancing Exchange environments, but also as reverse proxies for other workloads such as Skype for Business, ADFS, etc.

The customer environments vary greatly. In most scenarios, it’s up to 2,000 users but in some cases more than 30,000. My last case involving Kemp was an Exchange 2016 site-resilient solution with 12 servers for 35,000 mailboxes.

How has it helped my organization?

Kemp Loadmaster gives our customers an easy and cheap way of load-balancing their workloads and adding reverse proxy for added security. With Kemp 360 Central, they get a nice overview of their Kemp products and an easy way to upgrade firmware on all devices from a single interface.

What is most valuable?

Kemp products are extremely stable and meet most of my customers' needs for an ADC solution. My customers appreciate the attractive pricing, stability. and user-friendly interface. The more advanced features such as WAF are rarely required by our customers.

Their virtual products are easy to install and easy to configure.

What needs improvement?

There are plenty of features that are lacking in my opinion:

• The auth website of ESP is really lacking. It’s not responsive (mobile friendly) and the procedure of changing the website is difficult. We tend to avoid using pre-auth for that reason, and it's really a shame.
  • Several elements of the GUI need work. For example, if you have many content switches, it’s difficult to find the ones you need. And where is the search feature?
  • If you want logging for SMTP traffic, you have to enable ESP, which requires you to define allowed IP addresses. That’s irritating, to say the least.
  • Using the GUI to view log files is tedious. A nice log parser would help.
  • It lacks an officially supported, well-written SCOM Management Pack.

More than five years.

Kemp support is great. You always get qualified assistance and the support engineers are friendly and helpful. You can find loads of information on the support website, including deployment guides for almost any workload.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it at eight out of 10. There are many features that are missing or poorly implemented and things that you simply cannot do. The product is very much “as is”, and people need to be aware of that. If you don’t want these limitations, there are other products on the market, but they are typically a bit more expensive. Kemp products are very good load-balancers but are lacking in features compared to its competitors.

it_user771618
System and Server Administrator at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
  • "Exchange load balancing and reverse proxy for Skype for Business are key features."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Kemp Virtual LoadMaster for Microsoft Exchange load balancing, Skype for Business reverse proxy, and Oracle Forms load balancing.

How has it helped my organization?

For Skype for Business, we were using Microsoft TMG which is now end-of-support. Then we tried to use IIS as a reverse proxy but that feature was not suitable, especially on video calls where there were many issues. When we started using KEMP, we didn't face a single connectivity or delay issue on Skype for Business.

Previously, when we had maintenance on Exchange Servers, we had to take downtime. Also, whenever there was a glitch in the network our cluster got shifted to the secondary node. With KEMP, we don’t have to take any downtime for maintenance nor do we face any Outlook disconnect issue when there is a network interruption.

What is most valuable?

The load balancing for Exchange and reverse proxy for Skype are the features I like about it so far.

What needs improvement?

Reporting and monitoring need serious improvement.

Hewlett Packard Enterprise Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Edge Security Pack differentiates between critical infrastructure and public internet

How has it helped my organization?

Having LDAP authentication from the LoadMaster to the AD.

What is most valuable?

Edge Security Pack, because of the way it differentiates between critical infrastructure and the public internet. That, I think, is essential.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve the UI environment. Currently, it's hard to navigate and use product.

Three to five years.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

I would rate tech support at nine out of 10.

This is the first such…

How has it helped my organization?

Having LDAP authentication from the LoadMaster to the AD.

Three to five years.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

I would rate tech support at nine out of 10.

This is the first such solution we have used.

It has a great price for the solution they offer.

We evaluated Azure but we preferred Kemp.

What other advice do I have?

We do not use this solution on AWS.

Chief Consuntant/KEMP VIP at a tech consulting company with 11-50 employees
    Technical support is very good. They are quick to answer questions and provide online help.
    • "​Simple to install with good documentation."
    • "Some documentation is out of date versus the new version, and things have been moved​."

How has it helped my organization?

When patching Skype for Business Enterprise, we experienced no downtime at all for internal users.

What is most valuable?

• Skype for Business
    • Reverse proxy
    • Web application firewall
    • Multi-factor authentication

There is a Forefront TMG replacement together with Skype for Business which even Microsoft recommends for DNS LB. However, customers require uptime, and my tests show that DNS for external users will have quite long time downtimes versus HLB.

What needs improvement?

• Templates
    • More detailed documentation

No issues. It is stable.

No issues. On the VLM, just update the license.

Simple to install with good documentation. Some documentation is out-of-date versus the new version, and things have been moved.

I have control on the licensing and all the prices since I work for a partner.

KEMP gives away free trials for 30 days. This can be stretched if you want. During the test, you will have access to KEMP support.

We looked into F5 BIG-IP. However, for small customers, they can't pay for four to five days do to basic config.

What other advice do I have?

Look into what you need. Do you want to use virtual (VLM running on Hyper-V or VMware) or physical (LM)?

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: The company that I work for is the only KEMP Center Partner in the Nordic region.
    it_user806598
    User
    Simplicity to the setup and configuration

What is our primary use case?

Load balancing to server farms upon response time performances. Usage of Web Application Firewall module.

How has it helped my organization?

There is a simplicity to the setup and configuration. It helps with efficiency and reactivity, in case of assistance needs.

What is most valuable?

The trio: Simplicity (no needs for many days of training) and a very attractive ratio of price/performance.

What needs improvement?

SNMP and/or RESTCONF management, in order to collect many counters, for plotting in a central application need to be improved.

Alex Coffey
    CEO | Owner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Saved a third of the costs without sacrificing needed features
    • "We needed a Microsoft Threat Management Gateway server replacement solution for a customer and were impressed with the simplified deployment of the Kemp LoadMasters."
    • "Some of the support documentation seems to make assumptions that the person installing or configuring is experienced with the product or concepts."

What is our primary use case?

High-availability, reverse proxy and web application firewall (WAF) for IoT devices and back-end web services. We have not fully enabled the web application firewall functionality as of yet, but plan to do so in the coming weeks.

What is most valuable?

Easy of Deployment. Application Delivery Controllers are not my company's strong suite. We needed a Microsoft Threat Management Gateway server replacement solution for a customer and were impressed with the simplified deployment of the Kemp LoadMasters.

How has it helped my organization?

I am small business and cannot afford dedicated consultants for one specific technology. I am able to leverage existing skillsets to deploy and configure the Kemp LoadMasters.

What needs improvement?

I do not feel we have enough experience with the product to talk to areas improvement or recommended features release.

Some of the support documentation seems to make assumptions that the person installing or configuring is experienced with the product or concepts. Further research got us through the installation and configuration without any issues.

Still implementing.

No issues.

No issues.

High. They have a very responsive support.

Microsoft Threat Management Gateway. Product is at its end of life.

The initial deployment was straightforward.

For a cloud proof of concept, I reached out to Kemp support to help us with a multi-NIC VM deployment. Their support was fantastic and we were able to get up and running in short order. The downloadable templates were a huge time saver.

In-house.

Saved a third of the costs without sacrificing needed features by going with Kemp.

Download Kemp's VLM trial and take it for a test drive; you will be impressed.

Yes, Microsoft Web Application Proxy and F5.

What other advice do I have?

My company is an IT Services Consulting company, and when requirements warrant, I plan on recommending Kemp to our other customers. Note: We currently have no financial interest in recommending Kemp.

Product Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Ease of usage and configuration templates make deployment easy.

What is most valuable?

Ease of usage and configuration templates to make deployment easy.

What needs improvement?

I would say overall improvement of the solution features

We have been proposing it to end customers from last July and have been using the Virtual edition.

Customer Service: nil Technical Support: good

Previously we were proposing Citrix NetScaler or F5. We switched due to cost.

Very straightforward. …

What is most valuable?

Ease of usage and configuration templates to make deployment easy.

What needs improvement?

I would say overall improvement of the solution features

nil

good

Previously we were proposing Citrix NetScaler or F5. We switched due to cost.

Very straightforward.

Yes, Citrix NetScaler and F5.

What other advice do I have?

Try the VLM edition to get a feeling for the product.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Used to be a partner
    Messaging Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    We implemented the virtual load balancer and it was a very simple and straightforward installation​

Valuable Features

Most interesting features are like geo-redundancy, support of important Microsoft application like Exchange, Lync, Sharepoint, Skype for business etc. It also integration with Azure make unique about this tool.

Improvements to My Organization

It help to provide efficiently and robust load balance of Exchange servers when one or more server/service failure occurs.

Room for Improvement

It needs to offer support for more business applications.

We had no issues with the deployment.

There were no issues with the stability.

We have had no issues with scaling it for our needs.

Customer Service: They are are very knowledgeable and friendly. Technical Support:…

Valuable Features

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

It needs to offer support for more business applications.

We had no issues with the deployment.

There were no issues with the stability.

We have had no issues with scaling it for our needs.

They are are very knowledgeable and friendly.

They are are very knowledgeable and friendly.

Implementation was easy. We implemented the virtual load balancer and it was a very simple and straightforward installation

Other Advice

I would recommend trying the trial version, and if it meets all your needs then go ahead and implement it.