We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Informatica PIM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Informatica PIM is #5 ranked solution in top Master Data Management (MDM) Software tools. PeerSpot users give Informatica PIM an average rating of 8 out of 10. Informatica PIM is most commonly compared to Informatica MDM: Informatica PIM vs Informatica MDM. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 35% of all views.
What is Informatica PIM?

MDM – Product 360 is Informatica’s master data-fueled product information management (PIM) system. It allows business users to more effectively manage and collaborate on product content to fuel all sales channels with consistent, rich, and accurate product data for an informed and engaging customer experience. By delivering clean, consistent, and trusted product data, Product 360 empowers customer engagement and a company’s digital transformation by increasing speed, agility, and time to market.

Informatica PIM was previously known as PIM, Product 360, Heiler.

Download the Master Data Management (MDM) Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Informatica PIM Customers

Puma, Saint Gobain, Unilever

Informatica PIM Video

Informatica PIM Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Informatica PIM pricing:
"We switched to Informatica PIM because it was cheaper than the Oracle solution. It is cheaper initially, but they will bundle it later. This is what happens in the industry."

Informatica PIM Reviews

Senior Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Great product enrichment tool that provides flexibility and can be plugged with any e-commerce site
  • "A great product enrichment tool."
  • "Database access is highly restricted particularly if you're using the cloud version."

What is our primary use case?

We are customers of Informatica PIM and I'm a senior architect.

What is most valuable?

Informatica comes with a predefined data model which is the way in which you enrich your products. It acts not only as master data but also as a product enrichment tool. The product provides flexibility; you can go for an undefined number of attributes that define a product. You can plug it in with any e-commerce website. That's its value to us and why we need it.

What needs improvement?

Database access is highly restricted with PIM. If you're using the cloud version, you probably won't have database access or a view of it. If you're wanting a customized application, you can develop the out-of-the-box PIM solution with a little bit of customization here and there without even needing a database. That's a very big drawback. As a developer or as an architect, you need to have a data model. I know some people use it without database access and the issue is that they don't know what that data model is built on other than just seeing it through UI tabs. The one thing I'd really like to see is for the solution to be made scalable.

The solution is stable, in terms of bugs they're very good. They keep evolving their toolset. I have encountered many bugs in Multidomain MDM, but to date not in P360.

Scalability depends on your use case. If you're using it as an integrator, then it is definitely scalable. That said, it would require an altogether separate MDM solution. If you don't have MDM, then there are likely to be some limitations. We're in the process of installing now but in my previous company, we created the core set of attributes through MDM. From there it went worldwide through an e-commerce website. We have 50 to 60 people internally using it as a tool. If you're exposing your data through an e-commerce website, then it's accessible to all, although just for reading and not for updates.

If you're working with Informatica, you need to interact with them on the out-of-the-box features. They are very efficient and quick in their response times.

I've trained in Stibo which is a little bit better than PIM and I've used Oracle PDH and CDH. Those were basically a package MDM solution. If you're using SAP, I would suggest Oracle products. But there's been a very big evolution over the past decade when it comes to enterprise MDM tools. Most people working in companies are disbursed in different locations and using multiple toolsets, they can't be restricted to one technology. That's the reason that Informatica, Stibo, Riversand, and other technologies are very useful and very powerful. When comparing PDH to PIM or CDS to Multidomain, managing the Informatica toolset is easier in terms of effort required in comparison to managing Oracle MDM or Oracle CDH or PDH because they have their own set of limitations. The good thing is that they can be very easily coupled with an ERP solution. Here, you have to build real-time or multiple interfaces.

The setup is relatively easy I would say. But if you need additional attributes, it gives you a repository manager feature where you can use XML, add your own attributes and then configure it. To my mind, the setup is simple to moderately complex.

Licensing costs are a little pricey. For my previous client, as a support contract partner, we were making less money than Informatica was charging them.

What other advice do I have?

Informatica 360 PIM was bought from Heiler and is a very good tool if you already have MDM in place and you simply want to use it as an enrichment tool. With Informatica, you perhaps need to go somewhere into the roots of Multidomain. P360, Multidomain, and C360 are all different things. Managing a thousand plus attributes into that data model is going to be very complex. If they could come up with a standard data model that Oracle offered customers like PCH or PDH, similar to what P360 has, that would be my preference. Also, my recommendation is to always utilize your team as an integrator rather than being a master data manager.

I rate the solution eight out of 10.

Sr. MDM Architect/Principal MDM Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
It is scalable and comes with good staging and hierarchical features, but its look and feel needs improvement
  • "The staging and hierarchical features are the most valuable."
  • "Its look and feel needs improvement. It has a lousy look and feel. Informatica PIM is designed specifically for the retail industry. They need to make sure that it is also applicable to all the other industries and verticals."

What is our primary use case?

We would like to centralize all our product information systems. Currently, the product information is stored in various disparate systems, and we would like to bring it to a single place.

What is most valuable?

The staging and hierarchical features are the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

Its look and feel needs improvement. It has a lousy look and feel.

Informatica PIM is designed specifically for the retail industry. They need to make sure that it is also applicable to all the other industries and verticals.

I have been using Informatica PIM for almost two years.

It has 75% stability.

It has good scalability. Because of the cloud, we are able to expand it. Sometimes, we do run into issues, but it is mostly good.

We have around 250 to 300 users with IT, business, data governance, and DQ roles.

We haven't yet contacted them.

We used an Oracle solution. We switched to Informatica PIM because of the licensing cost.

The initial setup was done by Informatica. We didn't face any issues.

We switched to Informatica PIM because it was cheaper than the Oracle solution. It is cheaper initially, but they will bundle it later. This is what happens in the industry.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest to watch out. Informatica PIM is designed specifically for the retail industry. To use it for manufacturing, you need to think twice and make sure that it satisfies your business requirements. When you are asking for a free demo from Informatica, make sure that you tell your use case and ask them to configure it in a way that suits your business use case. Otherwise, it is not going to solve your problem.

I would rate Informatica PIM a six out of ten.

Private Cloud
Find out what your peers are saying about Informatica, SAP, Stibo Systems and others in Master Data Management (MDM) Software. Updated: January 2022.
564,997 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
A robust solution with an intuitive UI, but it needs more flexibility

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is centralizing and mastering the data. It is also used for centralizing the data between your administrator and customer.

What is most valuable?

The most important features are the mastering of the data and the UI intuitiveness. I find this solution to be the most efficient, immersive, and robust. Also, they have a feature map that is flexible and robust.

What needs improvement?

They need more feature flexibility, as it is not fully developed.

I have been using this solution for approximately 11 to 13 months.

I have not contacted technical support. We have a team in our company for support and maintenance.

What

What is most valuable?

I find this solution to be the most efficient, immersive, and robust.

Also, they have a feature map that is flexible and robust.

What needs improvement?

They need more feature flexibility, as it is not fully developed.

I have been using this solution for approximately 11 to 13 months.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to see the business needs and the requirements.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.