IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Informatica MDM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Informatica MDM is #1 ranked solution in top Customer Data Integration tools and top Cloud Master Data Management (MDM) Solutions tools. PeerSpot users give Informatica MDM an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Informatica MDM is most commonly compared to SAP Master Data Governance: Informatica MDM vs SAP Master Data Governance. Informatica MDM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
Informatica MDM Buyer's Guide

Download the Informatica MDM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Informatica MDM?

Informatica MDM solution delivers the market-leading foundation on which to build that trusted 360-degree view. Companies around the globe rely on Informatica MDM to give business users easy access to the data that drives their strategic decisions about cutting costs, increasing revenues, improving operations, reducing risk, and capitalizing on opportunities. As the industry’s only true end-to-end MDM solution, it incorporates data integration, data quality, data governance, business process management, and master data management on a single vendor-agnostic platform to ensure faster time-to-value.

Informatica MDM was previously known as Siperian, Customer 360.

Informatica MDM Customers

UPMC, Citrix

Informatica MDM Video

Archived Informatica MDM Reviews (more than two years old)

Hariprasad Sharma - PeerSpot reviewer
Product Owner - Data Management at Maersk

What is our primary use case?

Each use case is basically based on two pillars, one is MDM tools (for better consolidated integrated master data) and the second pillar is the e-governance (the quality dimension).

You can build something, you can expose it as a service, which can be consumed by anyone. But there is a good benefit that helps us on boarding new applications, having a seamless connectivity between these. Our center which plays a very good role in ATL, also works well. It has an ADT Meta Data Management business glossary, for filing those kind of components, and it helped us in really maturing from a governance point of view and from an infrastructure set-up point of view.

What is most valuable?

It gives you accountability to centralize your data and have it available to different applications. Its not limited up to specific platform, SAP for example is quite rigid in connecting outside SAP, and within SAP it is fantastic.

What needs improvement?

I think they should work really hard on UI.

More than five years.
Informatica MDM
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Informatica MDM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is considered "number one." The agility is much better as compared to others.

The scalability of the solution is excellent.

Tech support is good.

The initial setup was straightforward. If you want to use immediate features, it has out-of-the-box features. But, if you want to play around with it, then it can get more complex.

It's expensive, but if you're looking for a stable solution, Informatica is a good one to choose.

We looked at Informatica MDM vs SAP (solutions) and Informatica MDM vs Microsoft MDS.

Consultant at ALTEN Calsoft Labs
User
It has good processes and governance

What is our primary use case?

To create and launch new products/services on telecom security.

How has it helped my organization?

It has good processes and governance.

What is most valuable?

• NPI
  • Security
  • Governance
  • Risk management.

What needs improvement?

• By improving customer service
  • Integration solutions development
  • Implementation style.

Still implementing.
Informatica MDM
July 2022
621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user912336 - PeerSpot reviewer
Master Data Analyst at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
We can see all our information on a single screen. However, we can't sell the product without an additional layer.

What is our primary use case?

We are using the product data for building maintenance and item creation, then putting all the structures in for our new e-Catalog launch. It has been performing well.

How has it helped my organization?

• Its key capability is in data maintenance.
  • We can maintain all the organizational data in a single software.
  • It is nice to learn.
  • We can see all our information on a single screen.

What is most valuable?

It is good for centralized data.

What needs improvement?

We cannot sell the product directly with an additional layer.

It would be more stable if we could merge all the products into a single software.

I haven't used the technical support.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

We were looking to market this solution, which is how we ended up using it.

Assistant Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
​The tool manually checks on applying business rules and helps to implement them

What is our primary use case?

To cleanse and create standardization third-party data by implementing business rules and Address Doctor.

How has it helped my organization?

• Manually checks on applying business rules,
  • The tool helps to implement business rules.
  • It helps to get quick results as well.

What is most valuable?

Address Doctor. This is the best feature to gives an accurate combination of the information provided with a level of returned threshold value.

What needs improvement?

To implement the new workflow with simple steps and a quick visualization with a 360 view of the data.

Monirul Islam - PeerSpot reviewer
Monirul IslamAssociate at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees

It has the capability to integrate other data cleansing suites such as Trillium, which need to be configured in landing to staging mappings or we can use Platform staging.

Monirul Islam - PeerSpot reviewer
Associate at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Valuable features include data quality improvement, analytics, and reporting.

What is most valuable?

Valuable features include:

• 360 degree view of customer data
  • Data quality improvement through better decision making with respect to BI
  • Analytics and reporting
  • Improvement in he customer experience with better services provided to the application users
  • Consistent support to the business through process standardization supported by effective Change Management and Data Governance

How has it helped my organization?

We had implemented it across leading Life Science domain. Clients looked to implement a MDM solution for Customer data, which will create a Golden Record from multiple source systems.

Single and consistent view of Customer Data arising from a centralized data set with unique customer records.

Customer data is a critical asset that must be managed within the enterprise.

An integrated Master Data Management solution is needed to enable a 360-degree view of its Customers and provide accurate and timely Customer information.

The ability to link customer information across HCPs (Healthcare Providers), managed markets, hospitals and institutional accounts enables an enhanced view of the customer.

What needs improvement?

I am looking forward to integration with leading data providers, such as DaaS in the Life Science domain.

I'm using Informatica MDM since 2012 in various version XUSP2,9.1,9.5.1,10.1 and 10.2

There were a few stability issues, but overall it is a stable product.

When it comes to scalability, it is the best product in the market.

I would give technical support a rating of 9/10.

I looked into other products in this segment, but we never implemented them.

The setup was pretty simple.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest to just go for it. It is the best MDM solution in the market.

it_user852315 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user852315Senior Technical Recruiter at a training & coaching company with 201-500 employees

Hi Man,

10/10 !!! Thank you for making your blogs an embodiment of perfection and simplicity. You make everything so easy to follow.

Q1, Update Strategy vs. Treat Source Rows As: wrong. The UPD just tells the pmdtm process whether the current record shall be inserted into the target, updated (according to the update details!), deleted from the target, or rejected. Data Driven just means that the flag set by the UPD shall be observed, instead of handling all records the same way.
When the UPD flags a record as DD_UPDATE, then the choice between Update Else Insert , Insert Else Update, or Update As Update will be followed.
In all other cases this choice does not apply.

OK, one additional BUT: if you flag a record for DD_INSERT but you don't check the checkbox "Insert", then the record will NOT be inserted into the target table.
The same holds true for the three Update flags and the Delete flag in the appropriate manner.

Q2, SCD without an UPD: if you want to work without an UPD transformation, then you will need separate mappings and sessions for the INSERT records, the UPDATE records, and the DELETE records.

Q3: where's the difference to Q2?

Q4, default values:
Treat Source Rows As = Insert
Insert, Update As Update, and Delete are checked by default.

I am so grateful for your blog. Really looking forward to read more.

Sanjay

MDM Lead at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
MSP
The Match-and-Merge feature helps us to address customers' issues, although setup is complex as it requires understanding of PAM documents.

What is most valuable?

The Match-and-Merge feature is valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

We are now more equipped to address the customers' issues.

What needs improvement?

• Performance issues can be looked at
  • Improved release documentation is expected because I feel that the current release document doesn't give you the clear picture of what has been fixed and what has not been fixed from previous versions.

3 Years

We faced issues with User Exits post deployment, but those were addressed by Informatica.

If the guides are followed then the instructions are very well documented about issues that may crop up during up-scaling/upgrading.

Excellent. Informatica has one of the best customer services with an excellent turn around time.

Very good, a couple of technical support team members are excellent and they handle the case very professionally.

Complex, it is not just a NEXT NEXT NEXT button click setup, it requires understanding of PAM document provided by the vendor and mapping it with your hardware and then carefully setting up each of the elements - database, application server and then the software itself.

In-House along with some help from third parties. Understanding the business and collecting the initial requirement is the most important aspect and moreover verifying the collected requirement should be done so that there are no disconnects or gaps in understanding how the eventual implementation will look like.

What other advice do I have?

The product is the best in the industry (as it is multidomain) and the vendor support is excellent.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're a partner.
it_user528747 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Consulting Partner at GINNOVATES
I recommend reviewing and assessing the volume of data you will incorporate into the MDM, because the pricing seems to be based on row count used at the MDM Entities you built.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility to interact with many different sources and targets like Oracle, MySQL , Flat Files, Informix, SAP thru PowerExchange, applying different transformations that you can configure in an intuitive way, gives both business and IT teams the opportunity to track the data lineage and also to provide value to the data workflows you create, integrated to feed the MDM solution together with Data Quality processes.

How has it helped my organization?

The portability to use your integration flows into MDM and Data Quality helps to improve the data stewardship and also provides value for the metadata management you can take advantage of to document your business rules while interacting with different business data.

What needs improvement?

The product ranking we provide is 8 out of 10 -- because there are parts of connectivity with SAP Non-Unicode that are not supported by Informatica, since they only provide connectors to write on SAP Unicode. Then, we had to develop and enable the connectivity to write into SAP Non-Unicode.

Mainly, MDM requires improvement when you need to migrate your version to a later one -- because it is very difficult and takes a lot of time to convert the processes you have already developed and implemented on a previous version, and can cause a need to rework the processes.

We've been using the Informatica Solution for Data Integration and Data Quality for 12 years. We've been using MDM for seven years.

Sometimes the IDD console connectivity.

The difference between components and functionality from one version to the immediate latest one.

It is good, however response time is always depending on the support contract you acquire.

SAP MDG. At that point in time, it was not prepared to provide flexible integration and data quality process to generate a 360 view.

The initial setup was kind of complex while polishing the business requirements to be translated into technical flows.

Yes -- SAP MDG and IBM MDM .

What other advice do I have?

First, you need to assess the status quo of data integration and data quality at your organization, then, after you settle these strategies and implement the solutions, it is advisable to go for MDM.

If you do it the other way around, it will cause a lot of headaches and will cost you many more resources, time, and overall creditability to generate value beyond just results.

it_user328848 - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It reduces duplicate, inaccurate, and poor-quality data, but I would like to see more ETL capabilities.

Valuable Features

• Integration - it provides a single code-base with all data management technologies, and handles all entity data types in all modes (for operational and analytical use)
  • Model-Driven - it models an organization’s business definitions according to its own requirements and style. All metadata and business services are generated on the organization’s definitions. Informatica MDM Hub can be configured with history and lineage.
  • Flexible - it implements all types of MDM styles registry. Reconciled trusted source of truth and styles can be combined within a single hub. Informatica MDM Hub also coexists with legacy hubs.
  • Reporting – it has an integrated Data Stewardship User Interface Application which has been recently integrated with Jasper reports. One of the most powerful open source reporting engines which can provide on demand MIS (Management Information System) reporting

Improvements to My Organization

I've never been a client, but can suggest the usage across industry verticals.

• Regulatory compliance, such as financial reporting and data privacy requirements
  • Avoid corporate embarrassments. For example, you can improve recall effectiveness and avoid mailing to deceased individuals.
  • Cost savings by streamlining business processes, consolidating software licenses, and reducing the costs associated with data administration, application development, data cleansing, third-party data providers, and capital costs.
  • Productivity improvements across the organization by reducing duplicate, inaccurate, and poor-quality data, helping to refocus resources on more strategic or higher-value activities.
  • Increased revenue by improving visibility and access to accurate customer data, resulting in increased yields for marketing campaigns and better opportunities for cross-selling and up-selling to customers and prospects.
  • Strategic goals, such as customer loyalty and retention, supply chain excellence, strategic sourcing and contracting, geographic expansion, and marketing effectiveness.

Room for Improvement

UI application performance was quite disappointing until v9.0.x, but with 9.5 and later versions, they have facelifted the UI. Still there are some performance improvement scopes.

I would like to see a custom service based integration of MDM Hub with the Informatica Data Director (presently JMS and SIF) and a seamless usage of Informatica 9.5+ versions with other databases such as SQL server which still has quite a few bugs.

I would like to see more ETL capabilities inside the MDM tool to be a self-sufficient in handling data extractions

Use of Solution

I've used it for about five years, including 9.0.x (7/10), and 9.1.x (7.5/10).

No issues encountered.

Sometimes, but it depends largely on the design decisions.

Absolutely brilliant. Their on-demand support is really good speaking from a development team perspective.

Very straightforward. You just need to finalize the version based on business requirements, and I always suggest you get the latest version. And there is a Product Availability Matrix available which will guide you through the rest of the process.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We have a vendor partnership with Informatica.
it_user845028 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user845028Staff Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees

Hi Mate,

THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this! I would love to buy you a coffee since I now won’t be up all night that has been driving me crazy (until now!!). I just wish I knew what was going wrong but so glad it’s in the right place now! Thanks again:)

The foreign key value stored on the cross-reference (X-ref) is the same as the value stored on the base object. This facilitates certain MRM internal processes on parent merge.
However, it makes it difficult to tie child X-ref’s back to their original parent X-ref.
Delta Detection is done at the Staging level by comparing the Delta column(s) of Current Landing records to those of Previous Landing Table(staging_PRL).
Thanks a lot. This was a perfect step-by-step guide. Don’t think it could have been done better.

Thanks,
Rahul

it_user272106 - PeerSpot reviewer
Graduate Assistant with 1,001-5,000 employees
It helped us realize our goal of maintaining a distinct (golden) record for better decision making and reporting, but we used to face some Java application problems using it.

Valuable Features

It allows you to build your own rules to identify the golden records as part of master data management.

Improvements to My Organization

It helped my client, a technology company, to identify a unique customer and remove the redundant customer information. For example, a customer might be linked with a product to the organization directly, indirectly or as a retailer. Informatica MDM helped us realize our goal of maintaining a distinct (golden) record in our database for better decision making and reporting purposes.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for 15 months.

In general, it is good. We used to face some Java application problems, approximately two issues a month.

As the data keeps growing, we have to clear temporary storage space. Otherwise, we encountered issues in starting the batch jobs.

3.5/5.

3.5/5.

Implementation Team

I worked as a vendor for one of my clients. As I heard recently, the contract is still on, so I think we are doing pretty well.

Other Advice

I used this product almost 18 months ago. Informatica is one of the renowned names in Enterprise Information Management and there has been some changes for their MDM product. I would suggest you check their recent upgrades and take an informed decision.

it_user270351 - PeerSpot reviewer
MDM Customer Portfolio Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
It eliminates the need to run a full tokenization process during the match and merge process, but Informatica's internal testing should have caught many of the bugs we found.

What is most valuable?

The improved interface (IDD), eliminating the need to run a full tokenization process during match & merge process allowing 24x7 access to on-line users, and its better interface in console.

How has it helped my organization?

In the previous version, over 5,000 users of our on-line customer maintenance application were unable to use the application for approximately 12 hours every weekend while the match & merge function was run. Since upgrading, the overall time to execute M&M has decreased and the on-line users are able to add, update & search for customer records 24x7.

What needs improvement?

We experienced several basic issues with the product that required daily meetings with Informatica product specialists. Several Emergency Bug Fixes (EBFs) were required to fix the issues. It was felt that the vendors internal testing should have caught many of these issues and not been found by a customer.

I've used it for six years.

Deployment was very smooth due to extensive planning between the development and application support teams. A two week outage was planned and communicated. However the overall outage lasted only eight days. Running the Readiness scripts in production for several weeks before deployment, eliminated this step from the deployment process, and corrected data issues. Also, deployment activities ran faster in production environment than they did when performing upgrade steps in other environments (Dev, Val & POC).

Several issues were encountered in production that required immediate remediation that were not found during the 10 week QA cycle. After four weeks that system is stable and the operations team is able to complete daily & weekly cycles without issue.

There were very few changes to the database, and the same number of customers were being processed. A HealthCheck by Informatica was performed before starting the process to assure that the existing infrastructure was adequate for the new version.

Overall it's very good. Once a point person was assigned by Informatica, all the issues were consolidated into a single tracking spreadsheet that was reviewed daily. Tracking tickets were still submitted, but we did receive expert attention to resolve issues quickly.

Very good. Although, most technical support is off-shore, and there were issues with working time that prevented internal staff from interacting with off-shore experts.

No – just a long over due upgrade from 9.0.1 to 9.7.1.

The upgrade process is straightforward, and well documented. This process was executed multiple times as different environments were being built. By the time the production environment needed to be upgraded, it was almost standard. A separate Proof-of-Concept (POC) environment was developed to allow the developers to “play” with the new version and test functionality.

A combination of in-house and a vendor team. It was difficult to find anyone who had expertise with 9.7.1, so both teams learned during the project. The vendor team (Wipro) did have Informatica MDM experience in various version that allowed them to contribute to the design of the upgraded system.

We have a global license which was outside of the cost of the upgrade project.

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

The upgrade is straightforward if you currently have Informatica implemented. Don’t wait too long to upgrade, we waited five years between upgrades, and will not do so again. If this is you first MDM implementation, spend as much time forming data governance program as you do on the technical piece. The major vendors in the MDM space (Informatica, IBM, SAP & Oracle) have similar functionality. Informatica has been slowly integrating their legacy ETL product into the former Siperian product to make a very robust product.

it_user152814 - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant at a wellness & fitness company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The initial set up and configuration is fairly straight forward, which is one of the strengths of this product.

What is most valuable?

• Matching, merging and survivorship
  • Maintaining cross reference and merge history information

How has it helped my organization?

A lot of my pharmaceutical clients had to implement an Aggregate Spend application to track how much money they are spending on their prescribing physicians. This was need to comply with the Sunshine Act and their was a need to uniquely and unambiguously identify these physicians. The Informatica MDM tool provided a very robust and cost effective solution to implement a single view of physicians.

What needs improvement?

The major area of improvement is its GUI front end. The out of the box solution call Informatica Data Director is not at all user friendly, it is a data stewardship tool. A user friendly and feature rich front end will be a great improvement.

I've been using it for over eight years.

Only minor issues which can usually be resolved by the Informatica Support team.

Never when the implementation and sizing guidelines were followed.

Never when the implementation and sizing guidelines were followed.

Customer Service: Customer service is very timely and consists of very capable and competent staff.Technical Support: Technical Support is very timely and consists of very capable and competent staff.

I was implementing the Siebel UCM product before while working for Oracle. I had to switch because my client opted for the Informatica/Siperian MDM solution. I have been implementing this product ever since.

I have implemented this solution with vendor teams as well as in-house ones. A rigorous Vendor Selection process including reference checks are a must if using a vendor to ensure successful implementation. I prefer to work with in-house teams so that it becomes a great learning process for everyone who will have to enhance, maintain and support the MDM application.

In most of the implementations we used relative implementation costs rather than ROI and the Informatica MDM solution is very cost effective.

It varies by the size of the projects based upon number of sources, data volumes and quality, complexities, etc.

Most of my clients go through a Product Evaluation and Recommendation phase during their MDM implementation and the other options usually evaluated are solution offerings from IBM, Oracle, SAP, SAS, Trillium, etc.

What other advice do I have?

Always start by forming a robust Data Governance organization to ensure implementation of good data quality standards, policies and processes.
it_user5943 - PeerSpot reviewer
Architect at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Excellent MDM in my opinion. Needs better workflows for our business users.

Valuable Features:

- Seamless integration of MDM, data quality and data integration modules - Repository of data models from other customers - very useful! - Support for multiple domains including product and location data - Flexible architecture supports registry, consolidation, coexistence, and transaction styles. We use the coexistence style. - Management of party data - Performance is good, even as our database has grown in size over the past year

Room for Improvement:

- When we compared Informatica to SAP, we realized that we lose the ability to integrate easily with our SAP business applications - Needs more preconfigured business rules and services - Weak in data stewardship. The UI in particular needs improvement. - Reporting can be improved.

Other Advice:

Facebook integration looks interesting, but we haven't taken advantage of it. Informatica is a very innovative company in my opinion.
it_user68496 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user68496Architect at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees

Regarding SAP integration- Depends on your scale, existing infrastructure, SLAs, etc. - it's always a minefield. In abstract terms, the products themselves will integrate without major issues. My personal biggest gripe with Informatica is their pricing model, it is outrageous for large data volumes, everything is good until one looks at the price tag.