IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is #34 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give IBM Spectrum Protect Plus an average rating of 7.2 out of 10. IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is most commonly compared to IBM Spectrum Protect: IBM Spectrum Protect Plus vs IBM Spectrum Protect. IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.

Download the Backup and Recovery Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is IBM Spectrum Protect Plus?

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is a data protection and availability solution for virtual environments that can be deployed in minutes and protect your environment within an hour. It simplifies data protection, whether data is hosted in physical, virtual, software-defined or cloud environments. It can be implemented as a stand-alone solution or integrate with your IBM Spectrum Protect environment to off-load copies for long term storage and data governance with scale and efficiency.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Customers

PT Wings Surya, Tectrade, State of Ohio

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Spectrum Protect Plus pricing:
  • "Clients prefer to buy a perpetual license, but the majority opt for a yearly subscription."
  • "The initial cost of the product is perpetual but the support fees are billed annually."
  • "There is an annual license required to use IBM Spectrum Protect Plus. The cost of the license could improve, it is expensive."
  • IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Reviews

Can-Bolat - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solution architect at GlassHouse
    Reseller
    Quick, simple deployment, relatable and responsive technical support
      • "It still needs to grow and add new features. IBM Spectrum Protect Plus, I believe, requires time to become competitive due to a weakness in the other software products."

What is our primary use case?

IBM Spectrum Protect Protect and IBM Spectrum Protect Plus are new solutions. I did a lot of POCs with the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus and the SP, as well as TSM. These tools were previously known as storage managers, such as the TSM backup solution. In addition, all Veeam competitors and other hypervisor image backup solutions. All that remained was the product IBM Spectrum Protect Plus and the ability to sell it as a software, software-defined infrastructure.

The feature is known as failover protection or IBM Failover. The primary goal is to backup the recurring hypervisor environment and to create, deploy, and run a fast backup process. This is the primary goal.

What is most valuable?

We conducted a proof-of-concept on the customer side, and they found the product to be user-friendly and extremely useful.

Its quick deployment and backup are essential. It has nice features. It is user-friendly, it does not require a special environment to prepare the server-side, network side, and other components because everything is already included, similar to a bundle system.

It is very simple to create and deploy.

What needs improvement?

It still needs to grow and add new features. IBM Spectrum Protect Plus, I believe, requires time to become competitive due to a weakness in the other software products. It does not support replication appliances such as Data Domain, ExaGrid, or other DDOS targets.

The only issue is the price. That application should be supported.

I had been working with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for two years.

I no longer sell IBM Spectrum Protect Plus because the company is with Dell. That's why I use NetWare and Data Domain solutions.

Previously, I sold the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus product under the Spectrum brand.

Spectrum is a data protection product in the Spectrum family.

In my environment, we were using on-premises, private cloud, as well as a hybrid cloud environment.

I was a reseller as well as a partner.

Backup and Recovery Software
      July 2022
      Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Veeam Software, Commvault and others in Backup and Recovery Software. Updated: July 2022.
      620,600 professionals have used our research since 2012.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is a stable product.

The hypervisor is stable, but I don't think it's easy to recover an item level, light recovery, or granular recovery restore. I believe that a simple image backup is very stable.

Technical support is relatable, and their response times are acceptable; their case and response times, I believe, are on a normal level.

I was also selling IBM backup and storage solutions. I am familiar with the Alliance product. Now I work as a solution architect for multi-vendor solutions. My primary focus is on data protection and backup technologies. Also, private cloud and SAP solutions with regard to it.

My primary responsibility is to provide competitive analysis for Pure Storage and other products from HP, NetApp, and Huawei. I also compared other backup technologies such as Data Domain, NetWare from Commvault, and others. I've been in the technical construction of service and solution architect positions for 15 years. I'm currently working on a solution, I believe, with a Dell company's titanium partner because it sells.

I would like to inform you that I replaced Veeam with Spectrum Protect Plus because the Veeam licensing model was very expensive for our customers. They also stated that backup performance and the restore process are not any faster than they are now. The most important thing to replace them is the price because IBM's software price is very competitive and aggressive to Veeam. Price is unimportant to the SPP if they want to close the deal.

The original IBM ProtecTIER is at its end of life.

The initial setup is not complicated, but I don't think it's a developed architecture. It's very straightforward.

It can take up to 15 minutes to deploy. All infrastructure can be completed in this time frame.

When compared to other vendors, the price is very competitive.

I would rate the licensing and price a nine out of ten. The price could be a little lower than that of the other vendors, but the licensing model is fine.

What other advice do I have?

Yes, I recommend it, but this solution is not appropriate for every environment because some features must be developed, but in my environment, simple backup environments, such as only image backup, yes. It's perfectly functional.

I would rate IBM Spectrum Protect Plus an eight out of ten.

ZuzarMujawar - PeerSpot reviewer
      Consultant at Mobily
      Easy to setup, scalable, but has migration challenges
      • "The initial setup of IBM Protect Plus is simple and not complex."
      • "The one issue we are facing is related to file restores."

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for normal backup and restore purposes. We currently have VM which are getting backed up and we are in the process of deploying OCP. We use container support to back up the OCP environment and direct Open Shift environment.

What needs improvement?

We have to do a tech refresh, during the migration process and it doesn't allow a straightforward pathway. If I have to do a tech refresh of the server or the storage, the only option for me is to build a new server.

I attach the new storage, create new policy, and then start migrating, slowly removing the old one. That is one area of improvement.

When IBM will have NFSv4 available that is something we could use that solution.

I have been working with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for two years now.

IBM  Spectrum Protect Plus is stable. We have been using this solution for quite some time. Initially there were a few problems, but they were related to resource constraints. From an IBM Spectrum Protect Plus perspective, we never encountered any problem.

We have a big environment that we are working in. We are backing up close to two thousand machines.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is scalable. You continue adding the backup repository and vSnap component. The more you add, the more it scales. You can distribute the load. We have VMware and multiple clusters. Our configuration takes place in such a way that this particular cluster goes to one particular vSnap. We have done this kind of configuration. vSnap is the physical server that can act as the backup repository. A disk is attached and you can continue adding.

I would rate IBM Spectrum Protect Plus as a three. Technically they are good, but sometimes the response is delayed. If you raise a case with IBM they take two to three days to respond.  There are two products supported. One is related to Spectrum Protect and one is related to Spectrum Protect Plus. There are different teams who support IBM Protect Plus and IBM Spectrum Protect.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Negative

The initial setup of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is simple and not complex.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is simple to deploy. It comes as a virtual machine, or it comes as an Enter Container application. You deploy the ISO image and then you can have the backup repository in a physical and virtual location. There is no complex planning involved. You just deploy it and you are ready to use IBM Protect Plus.
      We did it ourselves. There are sizing tools, user guide, and blueprint available.  IBM Spectrum Protect Plus takes very little time to deploy.

When it comes to licenses, we have capacity-based license for IBM Spectrum Protect Plus and we are covered as a part of capacity license. They have a different license based on the number of VM you have protected. The license covers everything.

What other advice do I have?

The one issue we are facing is related to file restores. We have Unix and Spectrum Protect. We installed the agent because we have a very complex environment with multi-department firewalls. Whenever we require support from the Unix team to do file-level restore because it has AIX we had to look those complexities and decided to have an agent on all the Unix machines. That allows us to restore any files or directory with an agent-based restore. If it requires the entire complete machine to be restored, we use VM restore.

I would rate IBM Spectrum Protect Plus a seven on a scale of one to ten.

Backup and Recovery Software
      July 2022
      620,600 professionals have used our research since 2012.
      Uddave Jajoo - PeerSpot reviewer
      Assistant Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
      Speedy restoration of system backups, and the technical support is excellent
      • "The support from IBM is very good."
      • "In the future, I would like to see support for global deduplication."

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM Spectrum Protect Plus as our primary backup solution. Our supply chain department, including procurement, uses it. Also, our finance and managerial divisions are using it. Our top management uses it, along with the auditing department.

What is most valuable?

The speed of restoring from a system backup is very quick. Their ability to restore a system very quickly, within a backup window, is one of the reasons that we chose this product.

What needs improvement?

In the future, I would like to see support for global deduplication. The limitation with IBM Spectrum Protect is that if you take backups, the deduplication works only for data in a certain machine, or a certain backup set. However, data is often repeated across the data backup set. So, if they provide a global deduplication option, it will provide better storage savings ultimately.

We use this product on a daily basis.

We have approximately 350 users in head office and we have around 50 servers that are being backed up.

There are two types of support that we get from IBM. There is local support, which I would rate a seven or eight out of ten, and there is support from IBM itself, which I would rate a ten out of ten.

The support from IBM is very good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial cost of the product is perpetual but the support fees are billed annually. This pricing is something that can be negotiated.

The price of this product is cheaper than some of the others that we evaluated. Price-wise, I would rate IBM competitively, at an eight out of ten.

We have evaluated other backup solutions from three or four vendors. Two that I can recall are Veeam and Veritas. Veritas Backup and Replication is a very popular one.

We also evaluated the Data Domain Appliance and NetWorker from Dell EMC.

The whole idea of buying from IBM was integration with the landscape. Also, the time used to restore a system from backup is very quick. During our POC, IBM won in this aspect.

The price that we paid for IBM was much cheaper than it would have been for the EMC or Veritas products.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Integrator / User
      Owner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
      Good for users with little backend experience but requires a lot of troubleshooting and sometimes recoveries need to be redone
      • "We used to use the solution with tapes a few years ago. We've switched to discs, and it has gotten much faster."
      • "You end up needing to do a lot of troubleshooting to get things to work effectively."

What is most valuable?

You can put single items back with a certain driver. It's useful for operators maybe who don't have much of a clue about the back end.

What needs improvement?

We've had some problems getting a full backup done. It's very slow and can take a number of hours, specifically when we use the exchange database. Most time it's a problem with the agent for exchange. Sometimes you have to try to restore things multiple times. It can sometimes take a whole day just to get a recovery up and running.

Working on the solution, even when it works, is quite difficult.

It would be ideal if the solution allowed users to also pick up SharePoint, Teams, and Office 365 items. It should be able to do not just databases. That way, you can have everything, including software, both on-premises and in the cloud. At the moment, for Team, in particular, it's not possible to pick that up, potentially because it includes a lot of chats.

We've been using the solution for ten or more years at this point. It's been a long time.

The solution isn't exactly stable. Sometimes you need to attempt to restore the backup multiple times as it doesn't work. It's not a seamless, trouble-free experience.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I would rate the solution at a six out of ten. We haven't been completely satisfied with it at this time. The time it takes to get a backup restored is too, too long. On top of that, if you are really unlucky, you'll have to try to restore the backup many times.

Fabricio Prudente Da Silva - PeerSpot reviewer
      Chief Solutions Architect at Kyndryl
      Reseller
      Simple to implement, able to use multiple cloud providers, and excellent support

What is our primary use case?

We deployed IBM Spectrum Protect Plus using a hybrid model. We did all the installation on an on-premise environment and then set up an offsite copy on an IBM Cloud.

I use IBM Spectrum Protect Plus to modernize the customer environment, excluded some libraries. We are using IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for large containers, large capped images from image servers, and databases, such as Oracle and SQL servers. Additionally, we use object storage to store offsite backups on the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus are you have many possibilities on how to use it. We use it for backups and to create secondary and third copies. It is possible to pick up Kubernetes containers and use a different cloud provider if you need to start backups on the cloud.

What needs improvement?

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus could improve by adding SAP Rena.

I have been using IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for approximately five months.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is a stable solution.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus's software is easy to scale. However, if it is on-premise, you might need to purchase more storage to store more backups. Sometimes it's difficult because if you are on the cloud, it's easier, but not related to the software it's related to the infrastructure.

The support IBM has is very good. A good center of excellence.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is a great solution because it's easy to install and implement.

We have a team that implements this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM Spectrum Protect Plus a ten out of ten.

Kevin Honde - PeerSpot reviewer
      Data Solution Architect at Econet Wireless Zimbabwe
      Easy to use, multiple file type backups, but security could improve
      • "The most valuable feature of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is its ease of use. Additionally, it does backups of all of the things we need, such as OS, files, and databases."
      • "IBM Spectrum Protect Plus could improve security."

What is our primary use case?

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is used for backing up our data on our servers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is its ease of use. Additionally, it does backups of all of the things we need, such as OS, files, and databases.

What needs improvement?

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus could improve security.

I have been using IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for approximately four years.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is stable.

The stability of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is good.

We have approximately 2,000 virtual machines using the solution.

We previously used IBM TSM, which was replaced by IBM Spectrum Protect Plus.

The initial setup of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is straightforward. It took approximately three weeks to set up all of our servers and everything else.

We used the vendor to do the implementation of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus.

We have two engineers and administrators that do the maintenance and support of the solution.

There is an annual license required to use IBM Spectrum Protect Plus. The cost of the license could improve, it is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to others.

I rate IBM Spectrum Protect Plus seven out of ten.

JoseRamirez1 - PeerSpot reviewer
      Solution Architect at LODES Consultores
      Good integration and technical support, but installation and configuration were difficult and should be improved
      • "What I like about IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is its integration, plus it has very good technical support."
      • "Rooms for improvement in IBM Spectrum Protect Plus are installation and configuration because those were difficult. They should try their best to improve those areas. In the next release of the product, better implementation and administration are what we're expecting."

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for our customers, specifically for backups.

What is most valuable?

What I like about IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is its integration, plus it has very good technical support.

What needs improvement?

Rooms for improvement in IBM Spectrum Protect Plus are installation and configuration because those were difficult. They should try their best to improve those areas.

I've been working with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for two to three years now.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is a stable product.

The technical support for IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is very good.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is a product that's difficult to install.

What other advice do I have?

Four to six customers use IBM Spectrum Protect Plus.

My company doesn't have plans of increasing the usage of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus.

My advice to people looking into implementing the product is to check the prerequisites and manuals and ask for assistance from technical support before implementing IBM Spectrum Protect Plus.

My rating for IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is seven out of ten.

My company is a partner of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus.

Albert Hernaus - PeerSpot reviewer
      Storage Consultant at E-Storage
      Easy to use, stable, but better integration needed

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of this solution is for VMware integration.

How has it helped my organization?

Because of the licensing structure it was possible to use Spectrum Protect Plus without to much financial impact.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use.

What needs improvement?

There could be better integration with Spectrum Protect and Spectrum Protect Plus, it should be one solution.

I have been using this solution for a few years.

I have found the solution stable.

We have approximately 100 users using this solution in my organization.

The solution is scalable.

The installation is straightforward.

We used a consultant for the implementation of the solution.

We have four administrators for the maintenance of the solution.

I have evaluated Rubrik and Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution to others because there are far better solutions on the market.

I rate IBM Spectrum Protect Plus a seven out of ten.

Download our free Backup and Recovery Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Veeam Software, Commvault, and more!
      Updated: July 2022