Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is #25 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give IBM Spectrum Protect Plus an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is most commonly compared to IBM Spectrum Protect: IBM Spectrum Protect Plus vs IBM Spectrum Protect. IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is IBM Spectrum Protect Plus?

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is a data protection and availability solution for virtual environments that can be deployed in minutes and protect your environment within an hour. It simplifies data protection, whether data is hosted in physical, virtual, software-defined or cloud environments. It can be implemented as a stand-alone solution or integrate with your IBM Spectrum Protect environment to off-load copies for long term storage and data governance with scale and efficiency.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Customers

PT Wings Surya, Tectrade, State of Ohio

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Spectrum Protect Plus pricing:
  • "Clients prefer to buy a perpetual license, but the majority opt for a yearly subscription."
  • "The price is perpetual, but the maintenance cost is annual. That is, we pay once for the product and pay annually for the maintenance and support. The price was much cheaper than what we would have had to pay for EMC or Veritas. The pricing is competitive, and I would rate it at four out of five."
  • "There are a few options available for purchasing the solutions. Overall, the price of the is high."
  • "The initial cost of the product is perpetual but the support fees are billed annually."
  • IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Reviews

Can-Bolat - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solution architect at GlassHouse
    Reseller
    Quick, simple deployment, relatable and responsive technical support
      • "It still needs to grow and add new features. IBM Spectrum Protect Plus, I believe, requires time to become competitive due to a weakness in the other software products."

What is our primary use case?

IBM Spectrum Protect Protect and IBM Spectrum Protect Plus are new solutions. I did a lot of POCs with the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus and the SP, as well as TSM. These tools were previously known as storage managers, such as the TSM backup solution. In addition, all Veeam competitors and other hypervisor image backup solutions. All that remained was the product IBM Spectrum Protect Plus and the ability to sell it as a software, software-defined infrastructure.

The feature is known as failover protection or IBM Failover. The primary goal is to backup the recurring hypervisor environment and to create, deploy, and run a fast backup process. This is the primary goal.

What is most valuable?

We conducted a proof-of-concept on the customer side, and they found the product to be user-friendly and extremely useful.

Its quick deployment and backup are essential. It has nice features. It is user-friendly, it does not require a special environment to prepare the server-side, network side, and other components because everything is already included, similar to a bundle system.

It is very simple to create and deploy.

What needs improvement?

It still needs to grow and add new features. IBM Spectrum Protect Plus, I believe, requires time to become competitive due to a weakness in the other software products. It does not support replication appliances such as Data Domain, ExaGrid, or other DDOS targets.

The only issue is the price. That application should be supported.

I had been working with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for two years.

I no longer sell IBM Spectrum Protect Plus because the company is with Dell. That's why I use NetWare and Data Domain solutions.

Previously, I sold the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus product under the Spectrum brand.

Spectrum is a data protection product in the Spectrum family.

In my environment, we were using on-premises, private cloud, as well as a hybrid cloud environment.

I was a reseller as well as a partner.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus
      September 2022
      Learn what your peers think about IBM Spectrum Protect Plus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
      635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is a stable product.

The hypervisor is stable, but I don't think it's easy to recover an item level, light recovery, or granular recovery restore. I believe that a simple image backup is very stable.

Technical support is relatable, and their response times are acceptable; their case and response times, I believe, are on a normal level.

I was also selling IBM backup and storage solutions. I am familiar with the Alliance product. Now I work as a solution architect for multi-vendor solutions. My primary focus is on data protection and backup technologies. Also, private cloud and SAP solutions with regard to it.

My primary responsibility is to provide competitive analysis for Pure Storage and other products from HP, NetApp, and Huawei. I also compared other backup technologies such as Data Domain, NetWare from Commvault, and others. I've been in the technical construction of service and solution architect positions for 15 years. I'm currently working on a solution, I believe, with a Dell company's titanium partner because it sells.

I would like to inform you that I replaced Veeam with Spectrum Protect Plus because the Veeam licensing model was very expensive for our customers. They also stated that backup performance and the restore process are not any faster than they are now. The most important thing to replace them is the price because IBM's software price is very competitive and aggressive to Veeam. Price is unimportant to the SPP if they want to close the deal.

The original IBM ProtecTIER is at its end of life.

The initial setup is not complicated, but I don't think it's a developed architecture. It's very straightforward.

It can take up to 15 minutes to deploy. All infrastructure can be completed in this time frame.

When compared to other vendors, the price is very competitive.

I would rate the licensing and price a nine out of ten. The price could be a little lower than that of the other vendors, but the licensing model is fine.

What other advice do I have?

Yes, I recommend it, but this solution is not appropriate for every environment because some features must be developed, but in my environment, simple backup environments, such as only image backup, yes. It's perfectly functional.

I would rate IBM Spectrum Protect Plus an eight out of ten.

Atif Najam - PeerSpot reviewer
      Chief Information Officer and Program Lead at Gatron Industries Ltd
      Has very good integration features and can quickly backup data and optimize storage
      • "If the system were to go down, we needed to make sure that the system could be recovered and available as soon as possible. Spectrum Protect provides you access to directly bind the backup volume to the server and make the system available instead of restoring it and copying the system."
      • "I would like to see continuous data protection (CDP). If there is machine failure, you don't have to go to the backup copy that you took 12 hours ago. You can actually go back to the backup copy made half an hour ago. That is, it would be good to have certain-point-in-time recovery."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to do backups quickly because we have a smaller window for backups. For instance, if there's a database of 10 terabytes and it usually takes three hours to backup we wanted to reduce it down to an hour or 33% of the actual time. So, the solution is deduplication enabled, with regard to storage as well. We also needed to make sure our backup infrastructure is being used properly.

What is most valuable?

When we do backups daily, we usually end up having a lot of storage being stuck with the backups and not being used. This solution optimizes storage and has very good integration features. We were using IBM Power Systems, so IBM Spectrum Protect Plus integrates well with it.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see continuous data protection (CDP). If there is
      machine failure, you don't have to go to the backup copy that you took 12 hours ago. You can actually go back to the backup copy made half an hour ago. That is, it would be good to have certain-point-in-time recovery.

I would like them to add global deduplication. With deduplicate backups, deduplication will work only with the data of a certain machine or a certain backup set. Usually, the data is repeated across the data of the backup sets. However, if IBM Spectrum Protect Plus provides a global deduplication option it will ultimately result in better storage savings.

I've been using it for two years.

It is a very stable product.

It can scale up and down according to our needs. We have 350 endpoints that are being backed up, and on top of that, we have around 50 servers that are being backed up through this solution.

The users include our supply chain department, the procurement and warehouse team, our finance division, the managerial accounting system, our director and other top management staff, and the auditor.

We have two types of support that we get from IBM: local support and IT support. If I were to rate the local support from one to ten, one being the worst and ten being very good, I would rate it at seven.

IT support is very good, and I would give them a ten out of ten.

Positive

The initial setup was not easy, but it was not very difficult either. It took about 15 to 20 minutes to have it all up.

The initial setup is not as straightforward as that for other backup solutions, so I would rate it at five out of ten.

IBM services helped with the deployment.

The price is perpetual, but the maintenance cost is annual. That is, we pay once for the product and pay annually for the maintenance and support. The price was much cheaper than what we would have had to pay for EMC or Veritas. The pricing is competitive, and I would rate it at four out of five.

We evaluated Veritas and Dell's EMC with the main appliance and network. One reason for going with IBM was the integration with IBM systems which make up our major landscape. Another reason has to do with the time it takes to restore the system. IBM won the POC for restoring and backing up as quickly as possible.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate IBM Spectrum Protect Plus at nine.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus
      September 2022
      635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
      ZuzarMujawar - PeerSpot reviewer
      Consultant at Mobily
      Easy to setup, scalable, but has migration challenges
      • "The initial setup of IBM Protect Plus is simple and not complex."
      • "The one issue we are facing is related to file restores."

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for normal backup and restore purposes. We currently have VM which are getting backed up and we are in the process of deploying OCP. We use container support to back up the OCP environment and direct Open Shift environment.

What needs improvement?

We have to do a tech refresh, during the migration process and it doesn't allow a straightforward pathway. If I have to do a tech refresh of the server or the storage, the only option for me is to build a new server.

I attach the new storage, create new policy, and then start migrating, slowly removing the old one. That is one area of improvement.

When IBM will have NFSv4 available that is something we could use that solution.

I have been working with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for two years now.

IBM  Spectrum Protect Plus is stable. We have been using this solution for quite some time. Initially there were a few problems, but they were related to resource constraints. From an IBM Spectrum Protect Plus perspective, we never encountered any problem.

We have a big environment that we are working in. We are backing up close to two thousand machines.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is scalable. You continue adding the backup repository and vSnap component. The more you add, the more it scales. You can distribute the load. We have VMware and multiple clusters. Our configuration takes place in such a way that this particular cluster goes to one particular vSnap. We have done this kind of configuration. vSnap is the physical server that can act as the backup repository. A disk is attached and you can continue adding.

I would rate IBM Spectrum Protect Plus as a three. Technically they are good, but sometimes the response is delayed. If you raise a case with IBM they take two to three days to respond.  There are two products supported. One is related to Spectrum Protect and one is related to Spectrum Protect Plus. There are different teams who support IBM Protect Plus and IBM Spectrum Protect.

Negative

The initial setup of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is simple and not complex.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is simple to deploy. It comes as a virtual machine, or it comes as an Enter Container application. You deploy the ISO image and then you can have the backup repository in a physical and virtual location. There is no complex planning involved. You just deploy it and you are ready to use IBM Protect Plus.
      We did it ourselves. There are sizing tools, user guide, and blueprint available.  IBM Spectrum Protect Plus takes very little time to deploy.

When it comes to licenses, we have capacity-based license for IBM Spectrum Protect Plus and we are covered as a part of capacity license. They have a different license based on the number of VM you have protected. The license covers everything.

What other advice do I have?

The one issue we are facing is related to file restores. We have Unix and Spectrum Protect. We installed the agent because we have a very complex environment with multi-department firewalls. Whenever we require support from the Unix team to do file-level restore because it has AIX we had to look those complexities and decided to have an agent on all the Unix machines. That allows us to restore any files or directory with an agent-based restore. If it requires the entire complete machine to be restored, we use VM restore.

I would rate IBM Spectrum Protect Plus a seven on a scale of one to ten.

Kudzanayi Manjera - PeerSpot reviewer
      Senior Services Engineer at KENAC COMPUTER SYSTEMS
      Responsive support, highly stable, but the environment could improve
      • "The most valuable feature of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is the deduplication functionality. The clients moved to this solution originally because of this feature."
      • "IBM Spectrum Protect Plus could improve the IBM Spectrum Protect environment. It can be difficult to administer. The initial configuration can be difficult for entry-level teams or deployment teams, and it might be difficult to integrate. There's just too much content involved in the solution. The documentation is way too large."

What is our primary use case?

My clients are using IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for their virtual environments when using VMware.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is the deduplication functionality. The clients moved to this solution originally because of this feature.

What needs improvement?

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus could improve the IBM Spectrum Protect environment. It can be difficult to administer. The initial configuration can be difficult for entry-level teams or deployment teams, and it might be difficult to integrate. There's just too much content involved in the solution. The documentation is way too large.

In a feature release, they should have some bare metal recovery features.

I have been a partner with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for 19 years.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is very good.

I rate the stability of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus a nine out of ten.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus can scale well because it is on the cloud.

When I compare the support from IBM Spectrum Protect Plus with most of the other vendors we work with, IBM is at the top of the chart. They are prompt, they give proper feedback, and they're willing to help as much as they can.

I rate the support from IBM Spectrum Protect Plus an eight out of ten.

Positive

The initial setup of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is easy.

I rate the setup of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus a seven out of ten.

We use two specialists and administrators for the support of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus. Additionally, we sometimes need more help with the store side of the operation of the solution.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is a good investment. I've seen over the years the integration and upgrades, work well with the current solutions on the market. You don't necessarily have to buy a totally new solution if you wanted to migrate to the next level. Everything has been integrated into the current environment.

I rate the licensing price of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus a six out of ten.

What other advice do I have?

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is a good solution. It works well, but it requires a good budget for it and the training part. There most likely will be a huge CapEx involved.

I rate IBM Spectrum Protect Plus a seven out of ten.

Uddave Jajoo - PeerSpot reviewer
      Assistant Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
      Speedy restoration of system backups, and the technical support is excellent
      • "The support from IBM is very good."
      • "In the future, I would like to see support for global deduplication."

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM Spectrum Protect Plus as our primary backup solution. Our supply chain department, including procurement, uses it. Also, our finance and managerial divisions are using it. Our top management uses it, along with the auditing department.

What is most valuable?

The speed of restoring from a system backup is very quick. Their ability to restore a system very quickly, within a backup window, is one of the reasons that we chose this product.

What needs improvement?

In the future, I would like to see support for global deduplication. The limitation with IBM Spectrum Protect is that if you take backups, the deduplication works only for data in a certain machine, or a certain backup set. However, data is often repeated across the data backup set. So, if they provide a global deduplication option, it will provide better storage savings ultimately.

We use this product on a daily basis.

We have approximately 350 users in head office and we have around 50 servers that are being backed up.

There are two types of support that we get from IBM. There is local support, which I would rate a seven or eight out of ten, and there is support from IBM itself, which I would rate a ten out of ten.

The support from IBM is very good.

Positive

The initial cost of the product is perpetual but the support fees are billed annually. This pricing is something that can be negotiated.

The price of this product is cheaper than some of the others that we evaluated. Price-wise, I would rate IBM competitively, at an eight out of ten.

We have evaluated other backup solutions from three or four vendors. Two that I can recall are Veeam and Veritas. Veritas Backup and Replication is a very popular one.

We also evaluated the Data Domain Appliance and NetWorker from Dell EMC.

The whole idea of buying from IBM was integration with the landscape. Also, the time used to restore a system from backup is very quick. During our POC, IBM won in this aspect.

The price that we paid for IBM was much cheaper than it would have been for the EMC or Veritas products.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Integrator / User
      Owner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
      Good for users with little backend experience but requires a lot of troubleshooting and sometimes recoveries need to be redone
      • "We used to use the solution with tapes a few years ago. We've switched to discs, and it has gotten much faster."
      • "You end up needing to do a lot of troubleshooting to get things to work effectively."

What is most valuable?

You can put single items back with a certain driver. It's useful for operators maybe who don't have much of a clue about the back end.

What needs improvement?

We've had some problems getting a full backup done. It's very slow and can take a number of hours, specifically when we use the exchange database. Most time it's a problem with the agent for exchange. Sometimes you have to try to restore things multiple times. It can sometimes take a whole day just to get a recovery up and running.

Working on the solution, even when it works, is quite difficult.

It would be ideal if the solution allowed users to also pick up SharePoint, Teams, and Office 365 items. It should be able to do not just databases. That way, you can have everything, including software, both on-premises and in the cloud. At the moment, for Team, in particular, it's not possible to pick that up, potentially because it includes a lot of chats.

We've been using the solution for ten or more years at this point. It's been a long time.

The solution isn't exactly stable. Sometimes you need to attempt to restore the backup multiple times as it doesn't work. It's not a seamless, trouble-free experience.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I would rate the solution at a six out of ten. We haven't been completely satisfied with it at this time. The time it takes to get a backup restored is too, too long. On top of that, if you are really unlucky, you'll have to try to restore the backup many times.

Fabricio Prudente Da Silva - PeerSpot reviewer
      Chief Solutions Architect at Kyndryl
      Reseller
      Simple to implement, able to use multiple cloud providers, and excellent support

What is our primary use case?

We deployed IBM Spectrum Protect Plus using a hybrid model. We did all the installation on an on-premise environment and then set up an offsite copy on an IBM Cloud.

I use IBM Spectrum Protect Plus to modernize the customer environment, excluded some libraries. We are using IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for large containers, large capped images from image servers, and databases, such as Oracle and SQL servers. Additionally, we use object storage to store offsite backups on the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus are you have many possibilities on how to use it. We use it for backups and to create secondary and third copies. It is possible to pick up Kubernetes containers and use a different cloud provider if you need to start backups on the cloud.

What needs improvement?

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus could improve by adding SAP Rena.

I have been using IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for approximately five months.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is a stable solution.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus's software is easy to scale. However, if it is on-premise, you might need to purchase more storage to store more backups. Sometimes it's difficult because if you are on the cloud, it's easier, but not related to the software it's related to the infrastructure.

The support IBM has is very good. A good center of excellence.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is a great solution because it's easy to install and implement.

We have a team that implements this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM Spectrum Protect Plus a ten out of ten.

System, Storage and Data Administrator at ORNESS
      A stable backup solution that is trusted in banking and financial industries
      • "The solution integrates well with other tools."
      • "The solution should allow for backup of iOS snapshots."

What is our primary use case?

Our company has 40 technicians who use the solution to backup our AIX for Unix servers.

What is most valuable?

The solution integrates well with other tools.

What needs improvement?

The solution should allow for backup of iOS snapshots.

We are now testing Veeam for virtual servers and snapshot backup but would prefer to use one solution.

I have been using the solution for 15 years.

The solution is stable and we are able to restore files at any time.

The solution is scalable to the hardware utilized.

Currently, we have old hardware and are planning to scale with a new P10 server and fast network adaptor that will allow us to backup more nodes and servers.

I have utilized technical support when upgrading and they have sufficiently solve any issues.

I rate technical support an eight out of ten.

Our company used NetBackup ten years ago but switched to the solution because it is the most trusted in banking and financial industries.

The initial setup was completed 15 years ago when I first started using the product and I found it to be complex. Now that I am skilled, I find setup much less complex.

We utilized SCMI technicians for deployment of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

The solution might be hard to use in the beginning. After some time using it, you will understand it and see how it is scalable.

The solution works as expected with no problems and I rate it an eight out of ten.

Download our free IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
      Updated: September 2022