Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

IBM Spectrum Computing OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Spectrum Computing is #3 ranked solution in top Hadoop tools and #17 ranked solution in top Cloud Management tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Spectrum Computing an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. IBM Spectrum Computing is most commonly compared to Red Hat CloudForms: IBM Spectrum Computing vs Red Hat CloudForms. IBM Spectrum Computing is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 28% of all views.

Download the Hadoop Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is IBM Spectrum Computing?

IBM Spectrum Computing uses intelligent workload and policy-driven resource management to optimize resources across the data center, on premises and in the cloud. Now up to 150X faster and scalable to over 160,000 cores, IBM provides you with the latest advances in software-defined infrastructure to help you unleash the power of your distributed mission-critical high performance computing (HPC), analytics and big data applications as well as a new generation open source frameworks such as Hadoop and Spark.

IBM Spectrum Computing was previously known as IBM Platform Computing.

IBM Spectrum Computing Customers

London South Bank University, Transvalor, Infiniti Red Bull Racing, Genomic

IBM Spectrum Computing Video

IBM Spectrum Computing Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Spectrum Computing pricing:
"Spectrum Computing is one of the most expensive products on the market."

IBM Spectrum Computing Reviews

Commercial Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Responsive technical support with good reliability, and optimization of computing
  • "The most valuable aspect of the product is the policy driving resource management, to optimize the computing across data centers."
  • "We'd like to see some AI model training for machine learning."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the product is the policy driving resource management, to optimize the computing across data centers.

The product can expand and scale.

The solution is reliable and stable.

Technical support is responsive.

What needs improvement?

We'd like to see some AI model training for machine learning.

We have been working with IBM for 25 years. We've worked with Spectrum Computing for three to four years.

Hadoop
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Cloudera, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in Hadoop. Updated: September 2022.
634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is pretty good. We don't have many problems here.

While the solution is scalable, here, in our market, it's not big as the USA. The clusters are, for example, two or three servers tops. However, it is constantly growing.

We do not really deal with technical support. Sometimes we do, however, mostly we like to train our people. Here in Paraguay, we don't have IBM. We depend on experts from, for example, Uruguay or Argentina. That's why we try to train our people - so that we can self-support our problem. That said, if we have bigger problems or something, we'll escalate to IBM for technical support.

When it's about hardware, usually they have a good response time. Software sometimes is a little slower. It takes two or three days sometimes.

What other advice do I have?

We are IBM partners. We are a platinum partner.

I'd advise potential users to go for it. We are constantly growing in the AI model training and inference market. It will be great if some customers go down that road and start to implement that solution in their infrastructure.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

IT Manager, Deputy Chairman of the Board at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Can be used to backup our data, but the deduplication does not work and it should support different algorithms
  • "The most valuable feature is the backup capability."
  • "We have not been able to use deduplication."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to back up our data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the backup capability.

What needs improvement?

We are not fully satisfied with this product at the moment because we are having issues with reliability.

We have not been able to use deduplication.

I cannot use any protocol other than VTL. We have VTL hardware that has some additional functions there are not supported by the VTL protocol. Also, VTL is a little bit slow. For example, we use a VTL from EMC and they use another protocol for the copying. At this moment, TSM will not use a protocol that is different from IBM.

We have been using IBM Spectrum Computing for approximately 15 years.

We did not work with a similar solution before this one. However, we are switching away from this product and going to use EMC Data Protect because, from our point of view, it is more functional than TSM. We also use EMC products in our infrastructure.

EMC Data Protect uses a faster protocol and it is simpler to use.

VTL is an emulation of tape but for us, at this moment, it is not so useful because we have hardware that supports another, faster protocol.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Hadoop
September 2022
634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Avra Jyoti Ghosh - PeerSpot reviewer
Data QualityTechnical Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
One of the best tools in the data management and services area
  • "Spectrum Computing's best features are its speed, robustness, and data processing and analysis."
  • "Spectrum Computing is lagging behind other products, most likely because it hasn't been shifted to the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

I mainly used Spectrum Computing for data management, governance, quality, and ETL activity.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Spectrum Computing is lagging behind other products, most likely because it hasn't been shifted to the cloud. If IBM shifts it, it will be one of the best tools available.

I've been using Spectrum Computing for twelve to thirteen years.

Spectrum Computing is stable.

Spectrum Computing is easy to scale.

The initial setup is a bit of a learning experience, especially for novices. Deployment takes around half an hour.

Spectrum Computing is one of the most expensive products on the market.

What other advice do I have?

Spectrum Computing is one of the best tools in the data management and services area. It can process huge amounts of data with standardized data management and provides a great data governance capability. I would give Spectrum Computing a rating of nine out of ten.

Download our free Hadoop Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Cloudera, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, and more!
Updated: September 2022