Farid Lalayev - PeerSpot reviewer
Cyber Security Student at Baku Higher Oil School
Scalable, easy to use, and has a visualization feature that shows spikes in the system
  • "The best feature of IBM QRadar is visualization which shows you when there's a spike in the system, and this makes you realize that there's something wrong with the log."
  • "IBM QRadar has outdated technology, and this is its area for improvement. When you try to implement an analytic expression, it's not updated. The solution doesn't support newer technologies, and it doesn't update regularly. For example, around the world, others implement new technologies, while IBM updates later than others."

What is our primary use case?

We are using IBM QRadar for log reviews, particularly logs that come and go from the IPS, firewall, etc.

We have different dashboards for different technologies such as our firewall, IPS, and domains for our main website, so we use IBM QRadar to observe the logs from our website, and we try to make internal and external connections for better domain security.

What is most valuable?

The best feature of IBM QRadar is visualization which shows you when there's a spike in the system, and this makes you realize that there's something wrong with the log.

What needs improvement?

IBM QRadar has outdated technology, and this is its area for improvement. When you try to implement an analytic expression, it's not updated. The solution doesn't support newer technologies, and it doesn't update regularly. For example, around the world, others implement new technologies, while IBM updates later than others.

There isn't any additional feature I'd like added to IBM QRadar at this point because it's sufficient for visualizing the logs.

I've been with the company for one and a half months, and I've been using IBM QRadar almost daily, but the solution was deployed five or six months ago.

IBM QRadar
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about IBM QRadar. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

IBM QRadar is a stable solution.

IBM QRadar is a scalable solution. My company currently has seven to eight different accounts on IBM QRadar, so it's a scalable technology. It has no problems with scalability.

I didn't have any problems with IBM QRadar, so I never contacted the technical support team.

I'm assuming that the main reason my company chose IBM QRadar is that IBM is one of the biggest tech companies in the world, so IBM products would be more secure and more reliable than other solutions.

As I didn't set up or deploy IBM QRadar, I have no information on whether it was easy or complex to set up.

I have no information about the licensing costs of IBM QRadar, and whether or not it requires a license.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an intern at one of the biggest telecommunication companies, and my company uses IBM QRadar.

My advice if you want to use IBM QRadar is that you should use it because it's very scalable and it's easy to use. The solution also has many dashboards, and you don't have to write any code or write different scripts to get the information you need. You can do it from the UI of IBM QRadar. The only room for improvement in the solution is that it doesn't support newer technologies, and it's late when it comes to updates.

I'm rating IBM QRadar nine out of ten because my experience with it has been excellent. The only downside to it is that IBM is late with adding new features or supporting new technologies compared to its competitors.

My company is an IBM QRadar customer.

Abbasi Poonawala - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Enterprise Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It has good integrations, easy scalability, and strong technical support, but needs better pricing and more AI features
  • "Integrations are quite a useful and key feature of this solution. It has integration with the CVSS score, which is a central point for all the data and scores about the threats. There is an IBM Bluemix dashboard that is integrated with the CVSS score."
  • "I don't look at only the features and benefits; I also look at the price. It is a bit expensive when compared with other solutions. It is expensive for specific deployment topologies, and the decision-makers go for alternatives like ArcSight. It should also have more AI features or capabilities for better threat intelligence. The more it uses machine learning, the better would be the dashboard, analytics, and other things."

What is our primary use case?

It is used to dive deep into threat analysis. It is a SIEM solution that can be hooked up with some of the endpoint security or threat discovery solutions such as Forescout, Qualys, Sophos, and MDM. After the endpoint security or threat discovery solution discovers the threat, QRadar takes it further from that point onwards and allows you to go deep into the threat analysis. It has a lot of integrations, such as with CMDB, and it can do the asset classification. It can also tell the CVSS score. These are the capabilities or use cases.

What is most valuable?

Integrations are quite a useful and key feature of this solution. It has integration with the CVSS score, which is a central point for all the data and scores about the threats. There is an IBM Bluemix dashboard that is integrated with the CVSS score.

What needs improvement?

I don't look at only the features and benefits; I also look at the price. It is a bit expensive when compared with other solutions. It is expensive for specific deployment topologies, and the decision-makers go for alternatives like ArcSight.

It should also have more AI features or capabilities for better threat intelligence. The more it uses machine learning, the better would be the dashboard, analytics, and other things.

I have been using this solution for five years.

You can scale it easily in the cloud with a given deployment topology. We have somewhere around 50 plus users.

IBM is very strong on the technical support side. They have proper support available across different regions. After the implementation is done, the admin within the organization is in touch with IBM technical support for any day-to-day support requirements.

We have been switching for some time between Micro Focus ArcSight and IBM QRadar.

For cloud deployment, you need to go for IBM Bluemix Cloud, and you can deploy easily on a private cloud. You create the stack and use the Bluemix Cloud formation template. If you have the IBM Bluemix Cloud subscription, you can deploy it easily within maybe half a day or one day. You can create all the resources by using the Bluemix Cloud formation template.

For deployment, you need a small team of two or three because it just needs the team to provision the resources on the IBM Bluemix Cloud. For support, we need a bigger team of around 10 plus people.

It is costlier as compared to the other alternatives available in the market.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. It is a good solution with good capabilities like integration with CMDB and CVSS score. The dashboard is also really nice. It can help with threat intelligence, and it also has artificial intelligence. It is a futuristic kind of technology because the more AI-driven a product is, the better are the results. We plan to keep using this solution.

I would rate IBM QRadar a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
IBM QRadar
November 2022
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Chief Technology Officer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Great dashboards and visibility; lacks decent support and some maturity
  • "Improves visibility and has a great new dashboard."
  • "The solution lacks some maturity."

What is our primary use case?

We are users and implementers of this solution.

What is most valuable?

I like the new dashboard which enables us to understand how many real threat attempts are made in a day. I also like the QRadar incident response, we installed the QIF last week. The solution has improved visibility so that we've been able to discover that some of our customers have not had any protection and were very vulnerable. It's an important area. I also find that the user behavior analysis is relatively simple. We are customers of QRadar.

What needs improvement?

I think the user management model is very detailed but you really have to know what you're doing just to be able to manage things. I think the solution lacks some maturity. When you put it in a large organization as a security system or a cybersecurity system and you want to enable automation, it's difficult to get that level of maturity.

We've been using this solution for about 18 months.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. We have a total of 19 users in the company. The solution is used extensively and we plan to increase the number of users.

The technical support could be better. I'd rather work with my implementing expert and not the OEM. Although they have the expertise, the development guys are very slow.

We tested a few other solutions including AlienVault, Splunk, Micro Focus, and Outside. QRadar was the best of the breed for our needs and for a big system like ours, it's less complex than Splunk or Outside.

The initial setup is complex. Theory is one thing and practice is another. We had to go back and forth with IBM just to find the relevant versions with the relevant operating system to sit on the relevant virtual environment. Then we found a few bugs. We are in a production system in a very big organization so deployment was carried out in stages. It took about a month in total to get things working and to start collecting logs. We had help from IBM Azure.
Maintenance is required, you have to watch it, and work on it on a daily basis.

We pay an annual license fee. On top of that, every model adds to the cost. It's not just the license; the sales people want you to think you're only paying for certain things but we know how it works.

What other advice do I have?

The pre-design and the low-level design should be very, very, specific. It's important to check that the compatibility is there. If not, neither IBM nor OEM will support you.

I would rate the solution more highly but it's very expensive and given the high cost, I would expect quicker and better service from the OEM so I rate the solution seven out of 10.

IM Operations Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Simplified event quantity, scalable, but source data reports needed
  • "IBM Qradar's ability to simplify the number of events, not only on a technical level but by making that information easy to pan through the orchestration deduplication. It is very impressive given that we have hundreds of devices that send event logs through."
  • "IBM Qradar could improve the reporting. The tool is not designed to report. It's a great operational monitoring tool. You put it on a screen and you watch it. If you want to have analytics out of it, that's a whole different story. You're going to need more people and tools. What should be added is reporting and integration into Power BI, into some capability that produces analytical reports from the source data. IBM does not seem to care to add these features."

What is most valuable?

IBM Qradar's ability to simplify the number of events, not only on a technical level but by making that information easy to pan through the orchestration deduplication. It is very impressive given that we have hundreds of devices that send event logs through.

What needs improvement?

IBM Qradar could improve the reporting. The tool is not designed to report. It's a great operational monitoring tool. You put it on a screen and you watch it. If you want to have analytics out of it, that's a whole different story. You're going to need more people and tools. What should be added is reporting and integration into Power BI, into some capability that produces analytical reports from the source data. IBM does not seem to care to add these features.

I have been using IBM QRadar for approximately 10 years.

The stability of IBM Qradar is good.

IBM Qradar is a scalable solution.

The technical support from IBM Qradar could improve.

I rate the support from IBM Qradar a two out of ten.

The initial setup of IBM Qradar is difficult, you need to know what you are doing to be able to complete the task. It is not easy.

We used three to four specialists to do the implementation depending on how many integration levels you're going to have. If you're managing the flows and going to be managing applications, logical access, patch management, vulnerability management then it can take more time and more people. It depends on the scale that you want to integrate.

IBM Qradar doesn't come ready for plug and play, for your APIs, integration, and all the other elements you will need a person that knows how to do the IBM QRadar setup. From that perspective, you need to make sure that integration points to the license keys, for validation, and that can be a different challenge if it doesn't work.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is they have to have IBM Qradar set for purpose and it depends on the role that you see your SIEM solution playing in the company. If you're offering it as a service to other companies, or you're an IT service provider or security solution provider, then yes, you probably need an enterprise base that is scalable but not with smaller enterprises.

I do think the IoT component of IBM Qradar is lacking. IBM tried and IoT is not specifically aimed at only cameras or what I call physical access points, integration into what I call scale technology. They are areas that would depend on each business to map out what the requirements are. This is not a McAfee endpoint or a Symantec endpoint device that gives you an alert.

There is more competition and innovative application development in this area we've seen in the last few years.

I rate IBM Qradar a seven out of ten.

Managed Security Product at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Excellent artificial intelligence component with tricky licensing fees
  • "The feature that I have found most valuable is its artificial intelligence component, Watson. Its contribution is pretty good from a machine-learning artificial intelligence perspective. This compliments the orchestration automation component, as well."
  • "The features that could be improved include the licensing model and the dashboards and all those presentations. Overall, the user experience part can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

IBM QRadar is a FIM component within the security operation center we were deploying in the customer environment. We are managing their cyber defense capability.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is its artificial intelligence component, Watson. Its contribution is pretty good from a machine-learning artificial intelligence perspective. This compliments the orchestration automation component, as well.

What needs improvement?

The features that could be improved include the licensing model and the dashboards and all those presentations. Overall, the user experience part can be improved.

Additionally, the coverage, the connectors, and the flex connectors for legacy systems and other aspects could be improved. This is something they can work on and improve.

I have been using IBM QRadar for more than two years.

It is a stable product.

It takes two to three people for its management, but it purely depends on the scope of the security operations center, the SOC.

It is scalable.

It's kind of non-direct user component. It sits under the security operations center, so it won't be visible to the user, but it will be covering devices and users. It can support 100 to 10,000 devices. So it's kind of a back instance.

In terms of plans to increase usage, I'm currently in a management level, so I'm no longer into the directly technical part. But if there is a requirement, IBM QRadar is definitely one of my preferences.

IBM technical support is good.

We were using ArcSight from Micro Focus, but we were having some challenges integrating with the systems, with the APIs, and with the connectors. That's why we moved to IBM.

The initial setup is at an intermediate, medium level. It's not that straightforward, but not that complex either. The only thing is that their licensing model is a bit complex because they charge for a couple of components like EPS and NetFlow, so that kind of licensing charging is a bit tricky. But all in all, it's a medium, not that complex.

I think it was set up within a month. But use-case finalization and other configurations took another month. It's kind of a two to three month project to move to production completely.

Our licensing is yearly. But it's based on Event Per Second, which is one of the models. Storage capacity for log management is also considered with the fees. Licensing is a bit complex in IBM, as well. Different aspects needs to be considered.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend IBM to others who want to start using it.

On a scale from one to 10, I would rate IBM QRadar a seven.

Attila Mate Kovacs - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Cyber Security Expert at a security firm with 11-50 employees
Robust and suitable for large companies with critical infrastructure
  • "It is suitable for large companies with critical infrastructure. For our clients, robustness, availability at a high level, and the level of references and experiences connected to the solution are important."
  • "There should be easier and wider integration opportunities. There should be more opportunities for integration with CTI info sharing areas. On platforms where you exchange CTI, there should be more visibility connected to what we share, what we can reach, or what options are connected to CTI info sharing. This is one area where they could add value because we cannot integrate it easily with QRadar. If a client has a legacy or already existing solutions for CTI, we cannot ask them to forget it because we cannot guarantee that QRadar is able to deliver everything connected to this area."

What is most valuable?

It is suitable for large companies with critical infrastructure. For our clients, robustness, availability at a high level, and the level of references and experiences connected to the solution are important. They need to know that other energy players are also using it.

What needs improvement?

There should be easier and wider integration opportunities. There should be more
opportunities for integration with CTI info sharing areas. On platforms where you exchange CTI, there should be more visibility connected to what we share, what we can reach, or what options are connected to CTI info sharing. This is one area where they could add value because we cannot integrate it easily with QRadar. If a client has a legacy or already existing solutions for CTI, we cannot ask them to forget it because we cannot guarantee that QRadar is able to deliver everything connected to this area.

I have been using this solution for three years.

We have five to ten customers of this solution. My impression is that it can cost a lot to scale upwards. It didn't bother us in most cases, but that could be a problem for SMEs at times.

Their support during the operation seems fine. I'm a consultant, and very often, I am offsite. I am not there when clients get into operating QRadar in the long run. So, I know more about implementation than the operation itself.

It requires expertise. If you have the right personnel, you can manage. It wouldn't be easy for a client and admins to set it up without proper support or support from QRadar itself.

Setting it up requires an assistant like us. QRadar plays a role there, but that's not enough. There is also the language barrier. Not every Hungarian company is good in English, and IBM naturally doesn't have full Hungarian support.

It requires cooperation between clients and us. Typically, we send a team of five people that includes tech guys, a project manager, and maybe one process guy, if needed. Generally, you don't have 360-degree professionals, so you have someone good in networking, someone good in log management or log analysis, and so on. Because of that, we need this kind of team.

The client also has a few people. Typically, we send in more people than the client. These are not full-time people on our side and client-side.

It could be cheaper, but the value itself is far more important for us than the price. Typically, our clients have yearly subscriptions.

What other advice do I have?

I don't know what I would recommend for SMEs because we never worked with SMEs, but I would be very careful in recommending QRadar for SMEs.

I would rate IBM QRadar a nine out of 10.

VijayKumar4 - PeerSpot reviewer
AVP - Cyber Secuirty at Cloud4C Services
MSP
A stable solution which allows a single system to be onboarded for all 200 existing customers for monitoring purposes.
  • "No doubt about it, the solution is extremely stable."
  • "The implementation of the solution's technology needs to be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the current version.

What is most valuable?

The solution supports MSSP models, which most service providers have. This means that a single system can be onboarded for all 200 existing customers for monitoring purposes.

What needs improvement?

The implementation of the solution's technology needs to be simplified. It is overly complex.

The integration also must be simplified.

The licensing is also overly complex, as there is a need to buy the work load performance monitoring separately. These are the different modules we need to buy.

IBM does not provide a combined, combo suitor solution which the customer can easily look at. The multiple functionalities are segmented and do not allow for an idea which is complete. It makes it difficult for us to do a realistic comparison with other products. I hope that others follow suit.

We have been using IBM QRadar for almost eight-and-a-half years.

No doubt about it, the solution is extremely stable.

The solution needs to be redesigned to allow for scalability or for extending it to the existing one. There is a need to do long-term planning and migration from an existing to a new one and this cannot be easily accomplished. Storage cannot be added to the installation. One must completely migrate to the new storage to add additional terabytes.

As such, the solution is not quite scalable. The scalability exists, but it requires migration.

We are very happy with the technical support.

The initial setup was extremely complex.

We made use of an integrator.

What other advice do I have?

We have nearly two hundred customers making use of the solution.

We have direct contact with Ingram Micro or have a service partner relationship with it, but work directly with IBM as our ISP.

We are a managed security service provider and wholesale customer of IBM QRadar

We buy a bulk license from IBM QRadar and host around 200 plus customers in a single integration so that all the customer events will be integrated in one solution. We are not integrators and do not resell their services.

As such, we don't buy the license or sell the tools to others. We will buy a license, inclusive of the services, host it with our private cloud and provide services to the end clients.

Our customer base of IBM users is limited. When it comes to a security operations center team, IBM will be looked to for providing security monitoring on an ongoing basis. We must see that it is working as it should be.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate IBM QRadar as an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
Solution Architect Cybersecurity at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Protects our network from various threats
  • "The threat hunting capabilities in general are great."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for advanced threat detection, insider threat monitoring, risk and vulnerability management, and unauthorized traffic detection regarding our network. We can monitor and detect web attacks with it as well.

Within our organization, there are roughly 2,000 to 3,000 employees using this solution. As of now, we don't have any plans to increase our usage of IBM QRadar.

How has it helped my organization?

The basic use case of this solution is to identify insider threats. Insider threats are the most dangerous kind of threat for any type of organization to secure. This solution identifies who the insider threats are, and also determines if there are any malicious activities taking place inside of an organization itself. In short, it provides us with real-time visibility so we can identify who the insider threats and what malicious activities are occurring inside of our own network. It also protects our web applications from DNS attacks.

What is most valuable?

The threat hunting capabilities in general are great.

What needs improvement?

I was going to say that the reporting could be improved, but IBM recently introduced a new cloud-based security service that integrates with QRadar. Now, reporting is much easier than before. I personally can't think of an area for improvement.

I have been using this solution for two and a half years.

This solution is quite stable.

We receive 24/7 support via email; however, we don't have to contact support often because we have our own trained team. They handle most issues.

We used to use Splunk.

How complex the initial setup is completely depends on the customer's infrastructure. If there are lots of tools that need to be integrated, then the setup is going to be really complex. I wouldn't say that the initial setup is complex, it's more moderate than anything.

Deployment took two to three weeks from beginning to end.

The price of this solution is a little high.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing a new solution, you need to understand your network infrastructure completely. You need to determine if third-party integration is supported or not. IBM Qradar supports a lot of third-party integration because third-party tool integration is often required.

Storage also needs to be defined properly as logs need to be kept for a certain amount of time. If you have to store logs for three to six months, then you'll need to ensure that you've evaluated the storage capacity properly.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. We're very satisfied with it.

Download our free IBM QRadar Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022