IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IBM Public Cloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Public Cloud is #1 ranked solution in top IoT Platforms and #7 ranked solution in PaaS Services. PeerSpot users give IBM Public Cloud an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM Public Cloud is most commonly compared to Amazon AWS: IBM Public Cloud vs Amazon AWS. IBM Public Cloud is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.

Download the PaaS Clouds Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is IBM Public Cloud?

IBM Cloud is a full-stack cloud platform that spans public, private and hybrid environments. Build with a robust suite of advanced data and AI tools, and draw on deep industry expertise to help you on your journey to the cloud.

IBM Public Cloud was previously known as IBM Bluemix.

IBM Public Cloud Customers

Uvionics Tech, Komsomolskaya Pravda, Alpha Modus, Inventive, Web Business Consulting, FindBrok, SilverHook Powerboats, United Way of Allegheny County

IBM Public Cloud Video

Archived IBM Public Cloud Reviews (more than two years old)

Ashutosh Malik - PeerSpot reviewer
Subject Matter Expert - Data Network at Mphasis
Flexible, user-friendly, and competitively-priced
  • "One of the features that I really like about IBM Cloud is the flexibility where you can order your own hardware."
  • "There is not a lot of support for this solution, which is something that needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a managed service provider and IBM Cloud is one of the products that we use to provide services for our clients. We have a large number of customers who are in different industries and some of them are moving from a traditional data center to the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

There are several advantages to migrating to a cloud-based data center. Some of these are that you don't need 24/7 power or power backup units, local staff for maintenance, or to handle your own security. There is also the important point that servers are available on-demand. For example, I may need 100 servers for a client for a short time, but after which they are no longer needed. This ability to scale up or scale down using the cloud is helpful. By contrast, in an on-premises solution, if you need more power then you have to purchase it.

What is most valuable?

One of the features that I really like about IBM Cloud is the flexibility where you can order your own hardware. Customers do not want to have a full data center but they can order virtual machines, use solutions like VMware vCenter and NSX, and they can design their own network.  This solution is user-friendly and easy to manage.

PaaS Clouds
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Amazon, Microsoft and others in PaaS Clouds. Updated: June 2022.
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been using IBM Cloud for a few years.

IBM Cloud is stable and our customers haven't had any issues.

This solution is very scalable. IBM took over a company called SoftLayer, which has resources across the globe. They are available in the UK, US, Australia, India, Asia, and everywhere.

There is not a lot of support for IBM Cloud. The response from them and the ETA for resolving issues is too slow, and also, the SLA is too expensive. If you want to have premium customer support then you have to pay more. Obviously, they will still make the best effort according to the SLA. Whatever engineer becomes available will give good support but it is a very slow process. For example, something that is a priority-one issue for you will not necessarily be of the same urgency for their support. Rather, they will go as per the SLA, which is based on how much you pay for support. If you are a gold partner then you can just pick up the phone, tell them the problem, an engineer will be assigned and they will just start troubleshooting. For most organizations, it doesn't work this way.

I have worked with AWS and Azure clouds. IBM Cloud is the cheapest of these three, and I found it to be more flexible in terms of third-party integration.

The initial setup is straightforward and not very complex. The fact that you can make your own infrastructure is the best part.

Being a network architect, I set up all of these things on my own. There are different vendors who can support you, based on your requirements.

The price of IBM Cloud is very cheap compared to competitors AWS and Azure. The licensing fees are billed on a monthly basis and some costs vary between cities. For example, data centers in smaller cities will cost less. The savings in operating costs of a remote data center are passed on to the customer. Premium support is available for an additional cost.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this solution depends on your organizational requirements and how you want to function, as well as the policies. One example is that a lot of financial institutions do not want to migrate to the cloud for security reasons. Some organizations prefer one provider over another, such as AWS. There is no hard and fast rule that says you have to use only the IBM Cloud. The option is up to the customer. Overall, I would stay that IBM Cloud is stable, straightforward, and is a good service. I recommend it. My main complaint is about support, which is tied to pricing. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

IBM
Lead Consultant at a political organization with 51-200 employees
Leaderboard
Performance, resiliency, and availability are second to none
  • "The availability is second to none. Customer support is very good."
  • "The deployment can be a bit of a pain. There are a lot of packages and a lot of options and it can require complex configuration to get it right."

What is our primary use case?

My clients' use cases are for their private data where there's concern about the data being exposed. If it is on the public cloud whether it's performance issues or issues around disaster recovery or resilience, we tend to have the data help on-prem or on the cloud and then processing done on the public cloud.

What is most valuable?

The availability is second to none. Customer support is very good.

In terms of performance, resiliency, and availability, it is second to none.

What needs improvement?

I have been using IBM Cloud for six years.

It does what it says it will do. It's price competitive. The deployment is a little complex but any client that I have used it with has never had a complaint about resiliency, stability or scalability.

We haven't had any bugs or gliches. But if you make a mistake in the setup, you will end up paying for it.

It's easy to scale.

The time it takes to deploy will depend on how complex the situation is. The smaller configurations can take around a day or two.

The integration is always the complex piece.

The deployment packages should be made easier. The configuration should be easier. When you start looking at patterns in architecture, the patterns are very similar. Every client likes to feel that they're unique. If there was an easier way of deploying according to a particular architecture pattern that would be great so that you didn't have to go and configure everything from scratch every time.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate IBM Cloud a nine out of ten. The only deficiency is the deployment.

IBM is very focused on hybrid cloud as its main strength. It is useful with other IBM products. If you want something that's out of the box and simple that you don't need to do anything complex with, IBM Cloud is too big for you. If you're looking to do any mix with anything on-prem and if all you want to do is a simple cloud deployment, it's probably too big for you. It'll be easier to do in Azure. If you want better scalability and 100% availability then go with IBM Cloud.

In the next release, I would like to have better deployment packages. Rather than having to do the stuff from scratch, IBM has products where you fill in an online spreadsheet, you hit a button and it configures it for you. A deployment like that would put IBM Cloud ahead.

Hybrid Cloud
PaaS Clouds
June 2022
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mahmoud Al-Hattab - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Supports both Dynamic and Static Content for our Cloud Applications
  • "The price of IBM Cloud is most valuable for us. The service is personable and gives us a good rapport. I can't say it's the best, but it was enough for our needs."
  • "Maybe performance enhancers and reports could be better improved. If they do so, it would be better. Of all the drawbacks I saw, this would be the biggest enhancement."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for IBM Cloud is checking our products, our deployment environment, and testing their dynamic/static states.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM Cloud supports both dynamic and static content for our applications.

What is most valuable?

The price of IBM Cloud is most valuable for us. The service is personable and gives us a good rapport. I can't say it's the best, but it was enough for our needs.

We went with this solution because we were concerned about our code and application security. We would not jeopardize platform security, so we went with the IBM Cloud product line.

What needs improvement?

I need a watch to describe the number of required improvements for the IBM Cloud service. We use the tools. It takes almost a day to configure each one of the work products.

We have been using IBM Cloud a bit less than a year, maybe eight to ten months so far.

The IBM Cloud service is good and stable.

For the maintenance of IBM Cloud, we currently employ no one because we are still at the deployment stage. We have some servers for our products. When we deploy our products, we haven't started to integrate between the cloud and our servers. We just deployed the code on our servers.

Currently, while deploying or running the tool in the cloud, the scan takes almost no time to complete. Other things we use are just reading the reports that are being generated from the tool.

I don't think we are planning to increase our usage of IBM Cloud currently.

So far, according to my knowledge, we didn't contact technical support. We didn't order any testing from them, so I can't say much about IBM Cloud tech support.

The initial setup was somewhat complicated. We did the setup considering that we needed to have a tool to migrate to the cloud.

We used IBM tools for some of the communications. It was not straightforward. The deployment took a couple of days.

We did our setup and installation right here. The workmen, students, and IT teams worked together to deploy them. We at least trained them first on how to make a run cycle and how to run the scans for the product.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate IBM Cloud with an eight.

Engineer at Emerson Network Power
Leaderboard
Good technical support, and you can deploy applications from remote locations
  • "This product is very good because it is accessible in remote locations, and anyone can deploy from any place."
  • "I would like to see a more user-friendly deployment process in the next release of this solution."

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution to assist with my study. We have an agreement between our university and IBM to use the IBM Cloud.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very accessible and you can deploy applications from remote locations.

What needs improvement?

This solution can be very slow, which was a big problem for us. Deploying applications took a long time.

I would like to see a more user-friendly deployment process in the next release of this solution. It was very complex.

I have been using this solution for four months.

We had some trouble with stability, but it may be better in the paid version of this solution.

Technical support for this solution is good. I did not email them when we had a problem because we were able to solve it with a phone call.

We also use Amazon Cloud.

In the past, I was using Google Cloud, Amazon, and IBM Bluemix (now IBM Cloud). I compared all of them and found that IBM Cloud was the best product.

Amazon is a little more stable than the others.

We deployed this solution ourselves.

We are using the trial version of this solution, so we have not paid anything.

What other advice do I have?

There was a mix of versions in our project, with some people using the trial version and others using the paid version of this solution. I think that the full, paid version was better.

This product is very good because it is accessible in remote locations, and anyone can deploy from any place. It is very nice, and I don't think that many people know about this cloud computing system.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

CEO & Co-founder at NEXTBKL SP z o o DBA Gloscad
Leaderboard
A scalable and stable solution with an easy and straightforward setup
  • "The initial setup was very easy. It's quite straightforward. Deployment took about fifteen minutes. Everything is well organized."
  • "The solution needs to be more autonomous. It should let the DL go to allow for more jobs on the cloud. It could have a better interface as well."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for the ecosystem on the platform where we collect data.

What is most valuable?

The artificial intelligence helps with the analytic data and can parse information faster than you can set it up. The analysis portion of the solution is very important to our business.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to be more autonomous. It should let the DL go to allow for more jobs on the cloud. It could have a better interface as well.

I've been using the solution for four months.

The solution is very stable. For me, right now, it's the best on the market.

The solution is very scalable. It's one of the best on the market. We have ten to 100 people using the solution, and about 25 of them are certified, which is quite a lot. We plan on increasing usage in the future.

We've never spoken with technical support on the phone. When we reach out it's online. If I've needed to contact them, it's been about the build and the cloud service feedback. The service is always very good and very professional.

We looked at Oracle as well. We switched to IBM because IBM had a professional approach. They cared about our business and what we could do. The way they were preoccupied with our concerns as a customer, as well as a service provider, impressed us. Their response was very fast and they came up with the best solution that they could provide for the users, so that's why we switched. They also had other technology, including the IBM Watson Cloud, which was preferable to Oracle.

The initial setup was very easy. It's quite straightforward. Deployment took about 15 minutes. Everything is well organized. It does depend on the experience level of the person using it, but even if you're not professionally trained to deal with cloud you'll find it's not too complex.

We set it up ourselves. We just used the code and we did have the assistance of someone who helped a bit with the setup at the beginning. After that, it was very easy and simple. We got a lot of tutorials from the internet and a lot of material on the website that was quite extensive. These helped with the implementation.

On the production side, we are seeing a 200% ROI. It's actually stable enough now to probably bring a return on other systems as well.

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud version of the solution. We have Amazon as a provider.

The solution is very stable and technical assistance is very fast in their response. The service offered by IBM is highly respected, as well as the policy of the service provided. It's the best on the market for me and my organization. There are other good open-source solutions that work, but from a service and policy perspective, I would recommend IBM.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten. I'd rate it higher if instead of making separate integrations, IBM just brought all of their solutions together.

Download our free PaaS Clouds Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Amazon, Microsoft, and more!
Updated: June 2022