IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IBM Public Cloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Public Cloud is #1 ranked solution in top IoT Platforms and #8 ranked solution in PaaS Services. PeerSpot users give IBM Public Cloud an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. IBM Public Cloud is most commonly compared to Amazon AWS: IBM Public Cloud vs Amazon AWS. IBM Public Cloud is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the PaaS Clouds Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is IBM Public Cloud?

IBM Cloud is a full-stack cloud platform that spans public, private and hybrid environments. Build with a robust suite of advanced data and AI tools, and draw on deep industry expertise to help you on your journey to the cloud.

IBM Public Cloud was previously known as IBM Bluemix.

IBM Public Cloud Customers

Uvionics Tech, Komsomolskaya Pravda, Alpha Modus, Inventive, Web Business Consulting, FindBrok, SilverHook Powerboats, United Way of Allegheny County

IBM Public Cloud Video

IBM Public Cloud Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Public Cloud pricing:
  • "IBM Public Cloud is pretty cheap. They have an ongoing free tier that basically won't expire, so as long as your solution is small enough, you can have a test set that you can use for demos, which will cost you almost nothing."
  • "In order to be competitive, you have to commit to a contract for at least one year, but you pay a fixed monthly fee."
  • "Pricing is not as fair as Amazon or Azure."
  • IBM Public Cloud Reviews

Carlos Bittrich - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technology Advisor at Fabrik
    Reliable, easy to set up, and has helpful support
    • "It is a scalable product. You can scale it up and down."
    • "While they have about 99% of what we need, the only exception, perhaps, was the push notification feature that was discontinued. They delayed the replacement product."

What is our primary use case?

We are using IBM Cloud as our main infrastructure for a SaaS solution my company is commercializing. We developed it for a first customer and now we are reselling it to a lot of customers as a multitenant solution.

We do all the solution lifecycle.For example, we have mobile apps for condominium owners and another for gatekeepers, a web portal for the administration staff.

The core of the solution has its backend is on IBM Cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

My organization has concentrated in the solution functionality and doesn't care much about the complexity of the infrastructure as it runs on IBM Public Cloud. The customers we are serving don't need to care about investing in infrastructure neither, so deployment of the solution is quicker.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to deploy. You trust in the platform. Its reliability is good.

Support is also good. If you have an issue with the infrasutructure, you can chat with someone, they will try to convince you that they will do something. It offers 24/7 chat support.

The platform has everything that I need - or 99% of the requirements we need. I can find everything on this platform.

It's easy to set up.

The solution is stable.

It is a scalable product. You can scale it up and down.

Both scaling and backup is automatic. You can assign your resources for doing development instead of thinking in administering the platform.

What needs improvement?

While they have about 99% of what we need, the only exception, perhaps, was the push notification feature that was discontinued. They delayed the replacement product. In the meantime, I decided to go to FCM on Google, for doing this part.

The push notification functionality has ben reintroduced now with the Event Notifications service, I took a quick look at it but it doesn't seem the same .

There are some things that I haven't investigated because of time, however, I know they have the features.

The support and most communication is only english speaking. With Google, I can receive notes in Spanish, for example. My developers are not well versed in English. Right now, I am the one that does the escalation of problems. For me, it's not a problem, however, my developers don't have direct contact with IBM since they don't speak English.

IBM is pushing a lot Kubernetes as runtime infrastructure. There is another alternative which is Cloud Foundry, which is much easier than Kubernetes. I had been using it a lot but it is now being deprecated by IBM. The alternative they are suggesting is called Code Engine, however, it's not as mature as the easy Cloud Foundry.

I was using a demo version of MySQL. They announced, very loudly, that they had already a full production MySQL version so I tried to migrate to the full-blown and it didn't have all the features. I found an issue with the new product but they took about three months to resolve it.

The mobile dashboard could be better. They don't have a responsive solution. For example, sometimes I get a note, "Okay. You are above the limit of usage of this service." I would like to go into my cell phone and not have a screen where I see just one-quarter of the screen. Their mobile front end needs improvement. This is something that they lack right now.

PaaS Clouds
    July 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Amazon, Microsoft and others in PaaS Clouds. Updated: July 2022.
    622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been working with IBM Cloud for 8 years since Bluemix was announced. At that time I was an software architect in IBM and primarily used it for experimenting. Now I have a startup and am using it fulltime since 3 years.

The solution was stable.

One time I was not able to enter the system because of a problem. I received once a week a message that there is a severity of one problem with some feature, however, I really haven't noticed. Perhaps, just one time in one year I got affected by one of the problems. Right now, I don't care about having higher availability in my solution.

It is scalable. I don't have a million users, however, I know it's scalable. I use a small percentage of the CPU. It's not that I need to pay a lot for the service. I am using just a micro percentage.

Support was very, very good. We are quite satisfied with the support. The chat support is always available.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I used standalone server. but it was much simple and safer to run in a cloud environment.

The initial setup is easy.

If you do everything on a panel, in a dashboard, they have also a command-line interface, however, you don't need it, to begin with. The documentation is in different languages, so other people should understand it. Everything is on the cloud. Basically, you install a command-line interface. It's the only thing you need to install on your machine. There's no problem with the rest.

My project is small. I can say it's one or two administrators that I need for deployment and maintenance. The people that deploy the solution are checking that it's running. A lot of the administration can be automated.

I constantly are increasing and decreasing the resources. It's auto-scalable. If one day, I have more resources and more people entering, it automatically increases the number of resources available. I pay for what I use.

DigitalOcean is very cheap. Google is in fashion. Everybody wants Azure. I sometimes think, "Should I migrate or not?" Of course, I am not doing it as it takes time. It's time and resources. I don't need to migrate. I don't know if they are cheaper or not, however, i don't care much. I don't think that they will be cheaper. Perhaps one feature is cheaper than the other, however, in the end, you pay for what you use. If you migrate to another one, you pay almost the same.

What other advice do I have?

The solution updates automatically. On the cloud, you have different products. You have the database, the run-time for the business logic, and so on. Each feature upgrades independently. For example, right now, I need to migrate my database version. For the run-times, the Cloud Foundry run-time that I was using will be deprecated in one year. Therefore, I need also to start migrating to the latest version.

I am a first-level partner. I am treated as any customer. I was planning to become an ESA (Embedded Software Agreement) Partner. However, I needed to commit some amount of money with this agreement. Right now, my solution is not big enough to commit something. We have a solution that is software a service solution, that uses IBM on the core. Still, we are just start-up so we haven't committed to anything yet.

You have a large number of functions that you need to try and that are available there. I'd advise new users to just look in another platform if you don't find in this catalog. Try everything from the catalog. There are a lot of features, and so on.

When assigning security to each service, for example, it has its own security administration. You need to take care of the priviledges that you give to your people. Some people can define resources, others can't. That happened to me. I had a developer that configured an artificial intelligence service and at the end of the month, I got a big bill as he was using a service that was not free.

One developer developed a program that was using a service in a loop. And for this service came another big bill again. For that reason, I always advise companies to check how people are using the platform.

You can define alarms. If you're consuming $100, $200, you can get the notice that someone is consuming something. In the cloud, this is the problem. You don't have your machine in your house and if it's full, nothing can get done. The cloud can expand and expand. So take care of what you are spending on the platform.

I'd rate a solution eight out of ten.

IBM
    CTO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Cheaper, more flexible, straightforward to integrate, and creates serverless functions easily
    • "What I like most in IBM Public Cloud is how easy it is to create serverless functions. They are called IBM functions, but in AWS, they are called Lambda functions. Those are pretty standard, and another thing I like the most is that you have fewer restrictions on the amount of data you can transfer across those functions. IBM Public Cloud is way more flexible than AWS. I also like that IBM Public Cloud is pretty straightforward to integrate. As long as you have all the tools IBM provides you, getting everything up and running is straightforward."
    • "An area for improvement in IBM Public Cloud is getting up-to-date information on how to set up everything. It's hard to find new documentation."

What is our primary use case?

Our team creates systems that do analytics for solar parks. We develop a system that creates preemptive alerts to forecast problems before they happen, so we can tell their operations and management teams onsite what to attend to and what to look for before a problem arises. What we do is get all the data into the cloud, and we do our analysis there, then we end up with some alerts and send those alerts back to the team to tell them what to look for. These are our use cases for IBM Public Cloud.

What is most valuable?

What I like most in IBM Public Cloud is how easy it is to create serverless functions. They are called IBM functions, but in AWS, they are called Lambda functions. Those are pretty standard, and another thing I like the most is that I have fewer restrictions on the amount of data I can transfer across those functions. IBM Public Cloud is way more flexible than AWS.

I also like that IBM Public Cloud is pretty straightforward to integrate. As long as I have all the tools IBM provides you, getting everything up and running is straightforward.

I also find the solution cheap in terms of costs, so that's another thing I like about it.

What needs improvement?

In general, you have fewer options to configure in IBM Public Cloud than in AWS because Azure is another thing. This is one area for improvement in the solution.

Another area for improvement in IBM Public Cloud is getting up-to-date information on how to set up everything. It's hard to find new documentation, and you'll end up getting it from the web, but once you get it, everything in terms of setting up the solution is pretty straightforward.

What would be nice to see in the next release of IBM Public Cloud is increasing the capability of the serverless functions, for example, having the capability to run more RAM-intensive or more memory-intensive applications from the top. There are still some restrictions, but those are the same restrictions that are almost everywhere in other solutions. Those are pretty standard, but it would be great if there could be an improvement in that area.

We are IBM partners, so we've been using IBM Public Cloud for the last two years, and we're still using it.

IBM Public Cloud is a stable solution. It gives you SLA notifications all the time of what could be done, what is going to happen in the next hour regarding downtime, or anything that affects you. So far, I never noticed any issue, so I'm very happy with the solution.

IBM Public Cloud is a scalable solution, and it's straightforward, especially because we mostly use only serverless solutions.

Because my company is an IBM partner, my team gets special treatment, and the technical support for IBM Public Cloud is pretty good. I wouldn't know how the support would be if you asked people from the outside. I can say it's pretty good, but maybe it's just because of special conditions IBM has with my company.

Setting up IBM Public Cloud is pretty easy, as long as you get up-to-date documentation on how to set it up.

IBM Public Cloud is pretty cheap. They have an ongoing free tier that won't expire, so as long as your solution is small enough, you can have a test set that you can use for demos, which will cost you almost nothing.

What other advice do I have?

My company uses IBM Public Cloud and AWS Cloud, but just for their basic functions, in particular, for some virtual machines and serverless functions.

I'm guessing that what I'm using is the latest version of IBM Public Cloud, not that I have much of a choice because it's the one I get from the cloud directly. If it's not the latest version of the solution, I couldn't tell otherwise.

I'm rating IBM Public Cloud an eight because it's hard to get to the right documentation, and that's the only thing that makes the solution a bit difficult. Once you know IBM Public Cloud, the rating could be a ten, but for someone new to the solution, it's an eight out of ten.

My company is a partner and reseller for IBM, but my company doesn't resell. It just integrates solutions, and IBM provides all the backend tools for the products.

PaaS Clouds
    July 2022
    622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Consultant at a educational organization with 11-50 employees
    Stable, scales quite well, and offers great technical support
    • "I've found the stability to be excellent. The performance is good."
    • "The product should offer more computing, similar to Amazon."

What is our primary use case?

On the IBM Cloud, I mainly use their servers and their load balancer.

What is most valuable?

The availability is very good.

I've found the stability to be excellent. The performance is good.

The product can scale quite well.

Technical support is very, very good. They are helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

If they continue to add more additions, I'll be very happy with it.

The product should offer more computing, similar to Amazon.

I've been using the solution for about a year now. It hasn't been that long.

The stability is excellent. It's 200% stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's extremely reliable and the performance is great.

This solution scales very well. If you need to expand it, it's not a problem at all.

Currently, I'm the only one who's personally using it, to provide solutions to my clients.

Technical support has always been excellent. They are helpful and responsive. 've been very satisfied with their level of service.

I previously used AWS. However, I have little experience with the product. However, I still occasionally use it.

The solution is purely cloud-based, and, therefore, you don't need to worry about doing any manual or on-site installation process.

If you are an enterprise, or even just one person handling the solution for multiple clients, you will need to get a license.

That said, you don't have to pay for licenses if you're an individual developer, but if you're handling a little more load, then you need to pay for licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an IBM customer and end-user. I use this product for my clients.

I'd rate this product at a ten out of ten. I've been extremely satisfied with its capabilities so far.

I would recommend it to all developers.

Arquiteto de Soluções at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Good support and cost-effective, but the virtual network is very poor in Brazil and they need more options for databases
    • "For non-complex applications, the IBM Cloud works fine and the price is much lower than the competitors."
    • "They do not have a very good virtual network implemented, and the VPC is the most important feature that needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we have moved a few of our customers with simple infrastructures to the IBM Cloud.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

In Brazil, they only have one site, which is a big problem.

They need to have more options for databases.

The load-balancer and out-scaling need to be improved.

The IBM Cloud is less stable than AWS, Google, and Oracle.

The local support in Brazil is good. We have a partnership with IBM and the support that we get from them is very good.

I have experience with AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google, and Oracle, and I think that IBM is the provider with the fewest number of services available. They have a long path ahead of them, in terms of services that need to be implemented on their cloud.

We had a consulting service from IBM and from the distributors, Ingram Micro, to assist with deployment.

The IBM Cloud is priced well, and much lower than offerings by the competitors.

The commercial model is different from the other providers. In order to be competitive, you have to commit to a contract for at least one year, but you pay a fixed monthly fee. This is one of the advantages because, with the competitors, the amount you pay varies every month.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

IBM
    President at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    Easy setup but could be more secure

What is our primary use case?

We used it for an insurance company and a banking client.

What is most valuable?

There is no installation for this product because it is a cloud product.

What needs improvement?

It could be more secure.

I have been using this solution for two months.

I don't have a tangible experience of this solution, so I can't say anything about its stability.

We have about 100 users of this solution.

I have contacted them mainly about deployment.

What other advice do I have?

I have stopped using it currently, but in the future, we will need to use it again. I don't have much experience with this solution, but I would recommend it to others.

I would rate IBM Public Cloud a five out of ten.

Corporate IT Applications Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to deploy, but the support and pricing need improvement

What is our primary use case?

We deploy all of our developments and production environments for deploying microservices and APIs on the IBM Public Cloud.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup and the pricing are areas that need improvement.

I would like to see more support from the IBM specialists.

Support needs some improvement. Basically, you are doing it all on your own, and it's not easy.

If you want access specialists, it's always about money. You are already paying, so it shouldn't be about money. They need to speed up and start working.

The initial setup needs improvement.

It is easy to deploy what you need for the initial setup. The initial setup takes time.

Pricing is not as fair as Amazon or Azure. It needs improvement.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate IBM Public Cloud a seven out of ten.

Download our free PaaS Clouds Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Amazon, Microsoft, and more!
    Updated: July 2022