IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IBM Public Cloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Public Cloud is #1 ranked solution in top IoT Platforms and #8 ranked solution in PaaS Services. PeerSpot users give IBM Public Cloud an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM Public Cloud is most commonly compared to Amazon AWS: IBM Public Cloud vs Amazon AWS. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is IBM Public Cloud?

IBM Cloud is a full-stack cloud platform that spans public, private and hybrid environments. Build with a robust suite of advanced data and AI tools, and draw on deep industry expertise to help you on your journey to the cloud.

IBM Public Cloud was previously known as IBM Bluemix.

Download the PaaS Clouds Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

IBM Public Cloud Customers

Uvionics Tech, Komsomolskaya Pravda, Alpha Modus, Inventive, Web Business Consulting, FindBrok, SilverHook Powerboats, United Way of Allegheny County

IBM Public Cloud Video

IBM Public Cloud Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Public Cloud pricing:
  • "IBM Public Cloud is pretty cheap. They have an ongoing free tier that basically won't expire, so as long as your solution is small enough, you can have a test set that you can use for demos, which will cost you almost nothing."
  • "The price of IBM Cloud is very cheap compared to competitors AWS and Azure."
  • "The licensing fees are straightforward and predictable."
  • "In order to be competitive, you have to commit to a contract for at least one year, but you pay a fixed monthly fee."
  • "Pricing is not as fair as Amazon or Azure."
  • IBM Public Cloud Reviews

CTO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Cheaper, more flexible, straightforward to integrate, and creates serverless functions easily
    • "What I like most in IBM Public Cloud is how easy it is to create serverless functions. They are called IBM functions, but in AWS, they are called Lambda functions. Those are pretty standard, and another thing I like the most is that you have fewer restrictions on the amount of data you can transfer across those functions. IBM Public Cloud is way more flexible than AWS. I also like that IBM Public Cloud is pretty straightforward to integrate. As long as you have all the tools IBM provides you, getting everything up and running is straightforward."
    • "An area for improvement in IBM Public Cloud is getting up-to-date information on how to set up everything. It's hard to find new documentation."

What is our primary use case?

Our team creates systems that do analytics for solar parks. We develop a system that creates preemptive alerts to forecast problems before they happen, so we can tell their operations and management teams onsite what to attend to and what to look for before a problem arises. What we do is get all the data into the cloud, and we do our analysis there, then we end up with some alerts and send those alerts back to the team to tell them what to look for. These are our use cases for IBM Public Cloud.

What is most valuable?

What I like most in IBM Public Cloud is how easy it is to create serverless functions. They are called IBM functions, but in AWS, they are called Lambda functions. Those are pretty standard, and another thing I like the most is that I have fewer restrictions on the amount of data I can transfer across those functions. IBM Public Cloud is way more flexible than AWS. I also like that IBM Public Cloud is pretty straightforward to integrate. As long as I have all the tools IBM provides you, getting everything up and running is straightforward. I also find the solution cheap in terms of costs, so that's another thing I like about it.

What needs improvement?

In general, you have fewer options to configure in IBM Public Cloud than in AWS because Azure is another thing. This is one area for improvement in the solution. Another area for improvement in IBM Public Cloud is getting up-to-date information on how to set up everything. It's hard to find new documentation, and you'll end up getting it from the web, but once you get it, everything in terms of setting up the solution is pretty straightforward. What would be nice to see in the next release of IBM Public Cloud is increasing the capability of the serverless functions, for example, having the capability to run more RAM-intensive or more memory-intensive applications from the top. There are still some restrictions, but those are the same restrictions that are almost everywhere in other solutions. Those are pretty standard, but it would be great if there could be an improvement in that area.

We are IBM partners, so we've been using IBM Public Cloud for the last two years, and we're still using it.
    PaaS Clouds
    May 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Amazon, Microsoft and others in PaaS Clouds. Updated: May 2022.
    598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

IBM Public Cloud is a stable solution. It gives you SLA notifications all the time of what could be done, what is going to happen in the next hour regarding downtime, or anything that affects you. So far, I never noticed any issue, so I'm very happy with the solution.

IBM Public Cloud is a scalable solution, and it's straightforward, especially because we mostly use only serverless solutions.

Because my company is an IBM partner, my team gets special treatment, and the technical support for IBM Public Cloud is pretty good. I wouldn't know how the support would be if you asked people from the outside. I can say it's pretty good, but maybe it's just because of special conditions IBM has with my company.

Setting up IBM Public Cloud is pretty easy, as long as you get up-to-date documentation on how to set it up.

IBM Public Cloud is pretty cheap. They have an ongoing free tier that won't expire, so as long as your solution is small enough, you can have a test set that you can use for demos, which will cost you almost nothing.

What other advice do I have?

My company uses IBM Public Cloud and AWS Cloud, but just for their basic functions, in particular, for some virtual machines and serverless functions. I'm guessing that what I'm using is the latest version of IBM Public Cloud, not that I have much of a choice because it's the one I get from the cloud directly. If it's not the latest version of the solution, I couldn't tell otherwise. I'm rating IBM Public Cloud an eight because it's hard to get to the right documentation, and that's the only thing that makes the solution a bit difficult. Once you know IBM Public Cloud, the rating could be a ten, but for someone new to the solution, it's an eight out of ten. My company is a partner and reseller for IBM, but my company doesn't resell. It just integrates solutions, and IBM provides all the backend tools for the products.
    Ashutosh Malik - PeerSpot reviewer
    Subject Matter Expert - Data Network at Mphasis
    Flexible, user-friendly, and competitively-priced
    • "One of the features that I really like about IBM Cloud is the flexibility where you can order your own hardware."
    • "There is not a lot of support for this solution, which is something that needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a managed service provider and IBM Cloud is one of the products that we use to provide services for our clients. We have a large number of customers who are in different industries and some of them are moving from a traditional data center to the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

There are several advantages to migrating to a cloud-based data center. Some of these are that you don't need 24/7 power or power backup units, local staff for maintenance, or to handle your own security.

There is also the important point that servers are available on-demand. For example, I may need 100 servers for a client for a short time, but after which they are no longer needed. This ability to scale up or scale down using the cloud is helpful. By contrast, in an on-premises solution, if you need more power then you have to purchase it.

What is most valuable?

One of the features that I really like about IBM Cloud is the flexibility where you can order your own hardware. Customers do not want to have a full data center but they can order virtual machines, use solutions like VMware vCenter and NSX, and they can design their own network.

This solution is user-friendly and easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

We have been using IBM Cloud for a few years.

IBM Cloud is stable and our customers haven't had any issues.

This solution is very scalable. IBM took over a company called SoftLayer, which has resources across the globe. They are available in the UK, US, Australia, India, Asia, and everywhere.

There is not a lot of support for IBM Cloud. The response from them and the ETA for resolving issues is too slow, and also, the SLA is too expensive. If you want to have premium customer support then you have to pay more.

Obviously, they will still make the best effort according to the SLA. Whatever engineer becomes available will give good support but it is a very slow process.

For example, something that is a priority-one issue for you will not necessarily be of the same urgency for their support. Rather, they will go as per the SLA, which is based on how much you pay for support. If you are a gold partner then you can just pick up the phone, tell them the problem, an engineer will be assigned and they will just start troubleshooting. For most organizations, it doesn't work this way.

I have worked with AWS and Azure clouds. IBM Cloud is the cheapest of these three, and I found it to be more flexible in terms of third-party integration.

The initial setup is straightforward and not very complex. The fact that you can make your own infrastructure is the best part.

Being a network architect, I set up all of these things on my own. There are different vendors who can support you, based on your requirements.

The price of IBM Cloud is very cheap compared to competitors AWS and Azure.

The licensing fees are billed on a monthly basis and some costs vary between cities. For example, data centers in smaller cities will cost less. The savings in operating costs of a remote data center are passed on to the customer.

Premium support is available for an additional cost.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this solution depends on your organizational requirements and how you want to function, as well as the policies. One example is that a lot of financial institutions do not want to migrate to the cloud for security reasons. Some organizations prefer one provider over another, such as AWS. There is no hard and fast rule that says you have to use only the IBM Cloud. The option is up to the customer.

Overall, I would stay that IBM Cloud is stable, straightforward, and is a good service. I recommend it. My main complaint is about support, which is tied to pricing.

IBM
    PaaS Clouds
    May 2022
    598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Syed Mohammed Hady - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director at Alveron Communications Pte LTD
    This dedicated server allowed me to reliably and securely provide data access to my clients
    • "This is a predictable and dependable service."
    • "They could improve on customizing reporting capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use for IBM Cloud is to have it act as a dedicated server for my database. Other use cases include using it for telco, telecom services. I needed a dedicated server for the database. Many apps in the market actually use my database for their services, so that is why I need a dedicated, reliable server.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most useful with this product are their reliability and their support.

What needs improvement?

An improvement that I would like to see is better configuration capability. So far, our service is only large enough to demand one server. Their service and their website is okay in servicing our needs. We find it reliable and user-friendly. However, features wise, they could enhance their support interface and the report detail. I would like to know how much bandwidth I am actually using and maybe get better, more frequent report details. Doing small things like that can make the service better.

We have been using this IBM product for four or five years.

It is very stable, of course.

I am not using the scalable option and I have not tried it. My AWS service is scalable because I use it for specific things and sometimes the traffic is high. If the traffic is high, they automatically scale the database size and then I pay some extra money for that. But I am not using AWS all the time because everything does not need to be scalable.

From an internal standpoint the IBM solution is scalable. We have 15 users internally and we can scale that usage at any time.

I think that the technical support is good. Excellent really. Anytime I need something they are dependable and willing to help me out.

The licensing fees are straightforward and predictable.

What other advice do I have?

The advice that I would have for people considering this service would be that they should try it. If they are something like a small enterprise, they can use this IBM solution. It is very clear and easy to understand the interfaces, services, and easy to understand the pricing. They can be sure how it will work and how it will fit into their budget before they use it.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate it as a 10. It does exactly what I expect it to, it is a good service, and there are no surprises.

Consultant at a educational organization with 11-50 employees
    Stable, scales quite well, and offers great technical support
    • "I've found the stability to be excellent. The performance is good."
    • "The product should offer more computing, similar to Amazon."

What is our primary use case?

On the IBM Cloud, I mainly use their servers and their load balancer.

What is most valuable?

The availability is very good.

I've found the stability to be excellent. The performance is good.

The product can scale quite well.

Technical support is very, very good. They are helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

If they continue to add more additions, I'll be very happy with it.

The product should offer more computing, similar to Amazon.

I've been using the solution for about a year now. It hasn't been that long.

The stability is excellent. It's 200% stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's extremely reliable and the performance is great.

This solution scales very well. If you need to expand it, it's not a problem at all.

Currently, I'm the only one who's personally using it, to provide solutions to my clients.

Technical support has always been excellent. They are helpful and responsive. 've been very satisfied with their level of service.

I previously used AWS. However, I have little experience with the product. However, I still occasionally use it.

The solution is purely cloud-based, and, therefore, you don't need to worry about doing any manual or on-site installation process.

If you are an enterprise, or even just one person handling the solution for multiple clients, you will need to get a license.

That said, you don't have to pay for licenses if you're an individual developer, but if you're handling a little more load, then you need to pay for licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an IBM customer and end-user. I use this product for my clients.

I'd rate this product at a ten out of ten. I've been extremely satisfied with its capabilities so far.

I would recommend it to all developers.

Arquiteto de Soluções at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Good support and cost-effective, but the virtual network is very poor in Brazil and they need more options for databases
    • "For non-complex applications, the IBM Cloud works fine and the price is much lower than the competitors."
    • "They do not have a very good virtual network implemented, and the VPC is the most important feature that needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we have moved a few of our customers with simple infrastructures to the IBM Cloud.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

In Brazil, they only have one site, which is a big problem.

They need to have more options for databases.

The load-balancer and out-scaling need to be improved.

The IBM Cloud is less stable than AWS, Google, and Oracle.

The local support in Brazil is good. We have a partnership with IBM and the support that we get from them is very good.

I have experience with AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google, and Oracle, and I think that IBM is the provider with the fewest number of services available. They have a long path ahead of them, in terms of services that need to be implemented on their cloud.

We had a consulting service from IBM and from the distributors, Ingram Micro, to assist with deployment.

The IBM Cloud is priced well, and much lower than offerings by the competitors.

The commercial model is different from the other providers. In order to be competitive, you have to commit to a contract for at least one year, but you pay a fixed monthly fee. This is one of the advantages because, with the competitors, the amount you pay varies every month.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

IBM
    President at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    Easy setup but could be more secure

What is our primary use case?

We used it for an insurance company and a banking client.

What is most valuable?

There is no installation for this product because it is a cloud product.

What needs improvement?

It could be more secure.

I have been using this solution for two months.

I don't have a tangible experience of this solution, so I can't say anything about its stability.

We have about 100 users of this solution.

I have contacted them mainly about deployment.

What other advice do I have?

I have stopped using it currently, but in the future, we will need to use it again. I don't have much experience with this solution, but I would recommend it to others.

I would rate IBM Public Cloud a five out of ten.

Corporate IT Applications Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to deploy, but the support and pricing need improvement

What is our primary use case?

We deploy all of our developments and production environments for deploying microservices and APIs on the IBM Public Cloud.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup and the pricing are areas that need improvement.

I would like to see more support from the IBM specialists.

Support needs some improvement. Basically, you are doing it all on your own, and it's not easy.

If you want access specialists, it's always about money. You are already paying, so it shouldn't be about money. They need to speed up and start working.

The initial setup needs improvement.

It is easy to deploy what you need for the initial setup. The initial setup takes time.

Pricing is not as fair as Amazon or Azure. It needs improvement.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate IBM Public Cloud a seven out of ten.

Download our free PaaS Clouds Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Amazon, Microsoft, and more!
    Updated: May 2022