We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

IBM Case Foundation OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Case Foundation is #27 ranked solution in BPM Software. PeerSpot users give IBM Case Foundation an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM Case Foundation is most commonly compared to IBM BPM: IBM Case Foundation vs IBM BPM. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 33% of all views.
What is IBM Case Foundation?
IBM Case Foundation is for organizations that need to harness unstructured information and integrate it with business processes to drive critical business decisions. It enables organizations to create, manage and optimize case-based processes and is designed to decrease development costs while significantly improving process performance. Case Foundation links specific pieces of content with a structured workflow. It's an on ramp for organizations that choose to move from document-centric workflow solutions to the advanced capabilities of IBM Case Manager.

IBM Case Foundation was previously known as Case Foundation, FileNet Business Process Manager.

Download the Business Process Management (BPM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

IBM Case Foundation Customers
Suncorp Group Limited
IBM Case Foundation Video

IBM Case Foundation Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Case Foundation pricing:
  • "IBM Case Foundation is a little expensive."
  • "Pricing is in the mid-range, it is not cheap, but it's not expensive."
  • "This is not an expensive solution and we are using the standard license."
  • IBM Case Foundation Reviews

Ahmed Alaswadi
    Account Technology Specialist & Presales Consultant (Microsoft & IBM) at EBLA
    Harness and integrate unstructured information with business processes
    • "The content management is great."
    • "90% of the feedback we receive states that the UI is not very user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We have an in-house management solution that is built on top of IBM Case Foundation. For this reason, we have to be up-to-date with the current versions.

Within my organization, including engineers and the testing team, there are about 70 employees. If we include our clients that we assist with deployment and training, then we are talking about tens of thousands of people.

For each project, our development team consists of a few project managers, one systems engineer, and a few developers.

What is most valuable?

The content management is great. It features row-based access. It allows for broad-based access not only to the documents themselves but within the content. You can use the templates from existing documents for employee onboarding.

There is also a predefined search option that uses icons to retrieve any information you have from different sites and folders.

What needs improvement?

90% of the feedback we receive states that the UI is not very user-friendly.

The icons and images should be bigger. Initially, I felt a bit lost but after a while, I got used to it — with a bit of practice, you can get used to anything.

From my first impression, it just looked like a white page with some small icons. Another thing that is really high in demand here, especially in Qatar, is proper Arabic translation capabilities. Arabic is very high in demand, not just in Qatar but in the Middle East as a whole and Africa. When you translate it into Arabic, the labels and the interface translate pretty poorly — interface only, capability wise, it's fine.

I have been using this solution since 2016.

IBM Case Foundation is both scalable and flexible. Our clients also agree that it's extendible, flexible and stable.

We deliver support to our clients. We have a full team that consists of around nine engineers. We have channels through email, phone, and a portal where our customers can ask questions and receive support. The portal is monitored by a hub controlled by the ministry of transportation and communication.

This hub is the center of the whole government that provides the licenses. They check the quality of the vendors: how they interact with them, the support level; all of this is monitored by them.

I used to use SharePoint, but I can't compare the two. I used SharePoint simply for static content and website building.

I was not involved in the installation process. We have a team of engineers who handled the initial setup.

When we installed it over top of our existing solution, overall, deployment took us eight days — four days for staging and four days until we were ready for production.

For Case Foundation alone, implementation takes no more than six days.

IBM Case Foundation is a little expensive.

It can be purchased separately, but it's also sold and included in the Automation Pack from IBM.

A cloud pack for automation consists of Case Foundation, VPM, Case Manager, Decision Management, Data Cap — all of them together under one license. In this way, the price is reasonable because they are all together.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give IBM Case Foundation a rating of eight.

PauloSousa
    ECM BPM Senior Team Leader at a marketing services firm with 11-50 employees
    A versatile product that can work with many different technologies
    • "It is easy to set up workflows that notify the user depending on certain events."
    • "Once a workflow is launched then it stays static forever, which is a problem because if there is a change in the business then you cannot change the workflow."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and this is one of the solutions that I work with. This product is used by very large production companies for creating workflows.

What is most valuable?

It is well integrated with documents and document management from IBM. It's a data-driven solution that is very good.

What needs improvement?

This product is still attached to some things from the past, on the way that it was built, and there are some things that should be improved, but those who work with it know how to work around these difficulties.

Once a workflow is launched then it stays static forever, which is a problem because if there is a change in the business then you cannot change the workflow. You either stop the process and relaunch it at the place that it was, or you're going to leave with a process that is running. There are other products like IBM Lombardi or IBM BPM where it's easy, under certain conditions, to change the running workflows to the new business logic.

I have been working with IBM Case Foundation since 1998, just over 20 years ago.

Case Foundation is a stable product.

This is a scalable solution. My clients for this product are very large companies such as banks, IT, phone companies, and government.

In 2006, they were bought by IBM and the IBM technical support handles requests. The quality of support depends a lot on the people that you talk to. IBM has many people and many products, and sometimes you find people with different levels of experience. Because of this, it can take them longer to get answers to your question. That said, when you find the right person, it's okay.

I think that the initial setup is usually okay if you just run the installation and use the default settings. You won't have any problems and it's easy, but there are a lot of technologies behind it. There is the verification server, IBM WebSphere or Oracle WebLogic. The database can be Microsoft SQL, IBM DB2, or Oracle, and they can be running either on Linux or Windows.

With so much technology that can be used in different configurations, if you aren't familiar with all of them then it could be hard. At the same time, the solution is versatile and can work well with many different technologies.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Case Foundation is to keep the design as simple as possible because the workflows are very static. If you try to change it a lot, you will make it very complex and you will have problems. You should use and maintain business rules outside of the main workflow because if you have some rule that changes then the workflow stays the same, most of the time.

Overall, this is a good product.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Camunda, Pega and others in Business Process Management (BPM). Updated: January 2022.
    564,729 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Software Solutions Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MSP
    Helpful in decision making and analysis, good technical support, but the user-interface needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are providing services for our customers whose primary use case is mainly for those processes that are not covered through any ERP or MIS system or that need to be automated.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are those involving decision making, analysis, and anything related to event documents because those processes are related to content as well.

What needs improvement?

The interface needs to be more user-friendly. In the next release, I would like to see better integration with ERP tools and an improved interface.

I have been familiar with the IBM Case Foundation solution for three to four years.

This solution is stable and we…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The interface needs to be more user-friendly.

This solution is stable and we have not had any issues to this point.

We have not explored the scalability at this time.

We have contacted technical support and it's fine. We are satisfied with the support overall.

The initial setup is straightforward, but because the interface needs to be improved, it gets complex. You have to develop more and more, which involves some coding and development to ease it out.

The length of deployment depends on the requirements. If it is a small process, five to six nodes, it's a matter of one to two days. If it is a complex process and the rules are complex then it can take weeks.

The method of deployment depends on the customer's use case requirements.

Pricing is in the mid-range, it is not cheap, but it's not expensive. Two models are available and it depends on which one you are using.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

IT Department Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    A stable repository for our documents and processes

What is our primary use case?

We use this product mostly as a document database.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has helped us because we are a financial institution and it works as a repository for unstructured documents.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its stability, which is why we are using it.

What needs improvement?

This is a very stable solution and I use it on a daily basis. It has not been a problem.

Scalability has not been a problem. We have more than 400 users.

The setup and deployment were completed before I joined the company. …

What is our primary use case?

We use this product mostly as a document database.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its stability, which is why we are using it.

What needs improvement?

Scalability has not been a problem. We have more than 400 users.

The setup and deployment were completed before I joined the company.

This is not an expensive solution and we are using the standard license.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.