Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Huawei Wireless OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Huawei Wireless is #6 ranked solution in top Wireless LAN tools. PeerSpot users give Huawei Wireless an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Huawei Wireless is most commonly compared to D-Link Wireless: Huawei Wireless vs D-Link Wireless. Huawei Wireless is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 36% of all views.
Huawei Wireless Buyer's Guide

Download the Huawei Wireless Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Huawei Wireless?
Huawei WLAN products are compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n/ac standards to establish high-speed, secure, and reliable wireless network connections for indoor and outdoor applications.WLAN products can be used in enterprise offices, schools, hospitals, large shopping malls, exhibition centers, airports, and more.

Huawei Wireless was previously known as Huawei WLAN.

Huawei Wireless Customers
Anhui Agricultural University (AAU), China Everbright Bank
Huawei Wireless Video

Archived Huawei Wireless Reviews (more than two years old)

Solutions Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Cost-effective and simple to use, but the stability needs to be improved
  • "This solution is very simple and the interface is user-friendly."
  • "This solution has issues with bugs and instability."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider and Huawei wireless is one of the solutions that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very simple and the interface is user-friendly.

The coverage is good.

What needs improvement?

This solution has issues with bugs and instability.

In the future, I would like to see network access control features.

We have been working with Huawei for two or three years.

Huawei Wireless
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Huawei Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This is not a very stable product.

We haven't had any problems with scalability. One of our clients has approximately 100 users.

I also have a little bit of experience with Cisco and Aruba Wireless products. I find that the Aruba administration interface is more difficult to use than the other two. Huawei is cheaper than both Cisco and Aruba.

We have run into bugs while deploying this product.

One or two administrators are required for maintenance.

Huawei comes at a cheaper price than competitors like Cisco and Aruba.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Anjan Basu Chowdhury - PeerSpot reviewer
Pre-sales Engineer at Savex Technologies Pvt Ltd
Reseller
Performance, throughput, and speed are good
  • "You can add a lot of features, such as cloud, integration with IoT, etc. They have a lot of options available but the top feature is the performance."
  • "There was one time I had a problem with their centralized licensing. I called the Indian call center, but the response was not that good. One guy attended this call and he told me, "Definitely, I am forwarding your call to the next level. I'll let you know." After that, it took between 10 to 15 hours before I got a call back. By then, we had already resolved the issue. Therefore, they could improve the local support; there should be at very good Tier 1 and 2 support in India. They should be both proactive and reactive."

What is our primary use case?

I have successfully designed and installed the Huawei Wireless product portfolio on a big university campus wireless network project.

How has it helped my organization?

The entire campus (students, administration, the project team, and purchase team) was very happy with this particular product.

Whatever our goal is, they are performing.

What is most valuable?

You can add a lot of features, such as cloud, integration with IoT, etc. They have a lot of options available but the top feature is the performance.

The throughput and speed of the wireless is good.

Huawai has been successfully introduced to the IPv6 access point.

What needs improvement?

Huawei has a bit of a gap in the SMB segment. Apart from the enterprise and big customers, you have also very big market in India for the small- and medium-class businesses (SMBs) and Huawei Wireless could adapt to these smaller businesses. SMB IT procurement is almost 40 to 45 percent of the business happening. I would recommend for Huawei to introduce some SMB product line because Cisco and Aruba, which are very big organizations, already have very good SMB product portfolios. Very recently, Aruba introduced one product portfolio called Aruba Instant On. That is completely designed for the SMB product portfolio and requirements. While there is not much in the feature set, it can meet the daily needs of a small home office, enterprise, or hospitality industry, then be position with very aggressive pricing. These Cisco and Aruba products also work with clustering and can be managed by apps. In addition, Aruba has a future roadmap they manage with some cloud-based authentication and best positioning. They will be introducing this features very soon.

I would like to see Network Access Control (NAC) features going forward.

I have been working on this product for around two years.

There was one time I had a problem with their centralized licensing. I called the Indian call center, but the response was not that good. One guy attended this call and he told me, "Definitely, I am forwarding your call to the next level. I'll let you know." After that, it took between 10 to 15 hours before I got a call back. By then, we had already resolved the issue. Therefore, they could improve the local support; there should be at very good Tier 1 and 2 support in India. They should be both proactive and reactive.

The initial setup was easy. They have a discovery protocol if your license is properly installed.

Initially, I did have one problem. The shipped access point was not updated. That is why we had to update every access point.

It was a big campus (seven acres), so a lot of manpower was required. It took almost one week to deploy. We had a team who did things like cable deploying. Two or three engineers were involved for the wireless configuration and product installation.

You can purchase an additional switch with an additional switch. That is a good milestone.

We don't have any control on the pricing. This comes from Huawei in India. Pricing-wise, Huawei is very aggressive and competitive if you compare them to competitors, like Cisco, Aruba, and Ruckus. The Indian Huawei team tells us, "Just pick up the order and design the infrastructure. If there are any pricing challenge, we'll work on that and we will try to match things 100 percent."

I have a lot of experience with Cisco and Aruba too. If you compare this product with Cisco and Aruba, the three products are almost the same performise-wise. However, the accessories for this product are better than Cisco or Aruba.

Cisco support is fabulous, even though you have to pay for it. However, our customers are willing to pay for it. Huawei needs to improve its local support in comparison, especially there is a need for expert initial support.

What other advice do I have?

The on-premise solution is a very good product. They are working on the latest technology.

I don't have much experience with their cloud based solution.

I would rate the solution as an eight (out of 10).

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Distributor.
Huawei Wireless
September 2022
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SyedAbdul Quadeer - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Engineering at Hawsabah
Easy to manage and stable, but needs better integration capabilities
  • "The solution is easily managed compared to other wireless solutions."
  • "The solution should offer more integration with third-party servers and devices."

What is most valuable?

The handover is seamless whenever the users connect to the access point.

The solution is easily managed compared to other wireless solutions.

What needs improvement?

Technical support needs to be improved.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. We have more than 3,000 users on the solution currently, and we do plan to increase usage.

Technical support is not great. Whenever I open a case, I don't get any immediate support. You have to wait for at least 24 hours. Once you do get a hold of them, the quality of their suggestions are good. It's the wait time that needs to be fixed. It should be much more immediate for clients.

We previously used Cisco wireless. We switched due to a decision made by our management team.

The initial setup is a little bit complex. Sometimes the Huawei access point doesn't support POE. You also need a big team for maintenance. We have 30-40 people, for example.

In comparison to Cisco, the pricing isn't bad.

What other advice do I have?

We're a consultant and support many companies and end-users.

We use the 5060 and 6020 access points, among others. We use the private cloud deployment model for medium-sized companies.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

MuhittinAkar - PeerSpot reviewer
Hardware and Networks Support Executive at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Excellent roaming features, good scalability and an easy set up
  • "The solution's roaming feature is very nice. When you move to another place it automatically changes the access point. It's one of the most valuable features."
  • "The technical support needs to be improved. They also need to produce some more technical guides."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a wireless LAN.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The technical support needs to be improved. They also need to produce some more technical guides.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is stable. Once you set up, you don't need to touch it again.

If you have an access controller, the solution is scalable. Our clients are typically medium-sized enterprises. We have about 200 users.

Technical support is not ideal. They sometimes cannot connect to the wireless access point or their connection drops.

The initial setup is simple. It usually takes one day to deploy the solution. You only need one person to maintain it once it is set up.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice I'd give to others considering implementing the solution is that it's easy to use if they use an access controller.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I'd rate it higher but they don't offer a good technical guide which means you ultimately need to search and try out solutions for yourself.

Manager, ICT and Partnerships at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Stellar solution with good stability but the visibility needs improvement
  • "That would be more of engineering at this point. I'm from more of the business side. It's pretty much doing the standard installations with portal integrations and integrations with the Mac."
  • "Improving the visibility, control offered, and cloud management would all be very helpful. Also how you can monetize the information you get from Wi-Fi controllers should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use the on-premises version. I believe they don't have a private cloud offering yet on the controller. Either way, it's on-premises that we are using now.

What is most valuable?

That would be more of engineering at this point. I'm from more of the business side. It's pretty much doing the standard installations with portal integrations and integrations with the Mac.

What needs improvement?

We have been using and reselling this solution for almost three years now.

It's pretty stable.

The scalability depends on which model you are using. It is pretty scalable for an enterprise. We haven't tried it on a cloud model, so I wouldn't know.

We don't have that many users internally. We're mostly using it for some fragments in the innovation center. We mainly use a different solution. We are using it in different fragments of the management department. We don't have a bulk of users there, but as an estimate, you could say 50 to 60 users.

The customer support is pretty good.

We have different vendors we work with. We work with Cisco and Aruba as well.

We do a standard installation unless there's a requirement from the customer to customize it. If there is customization, that can get as complex as it can be in an enterprise environment.

Deployment time varies. There's no standard. A very standard configuration is about a day or two, but that still depends.

We have all sizes of customers.

What other advice do I have?

It's a pretty good solution. The design has to be right. If the design is done properly and the conditions are right, it's a stellar product.

It would probably be a seven or eight out of ten.

Download our free Huawei Wireless Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022