Huawei OceanStor OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Huawei OceanStor is the #16 ranked solution in best All-Flash Storage Arrays. PeerSpot users give Huawei OceanStor an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Huawei OceanStor is most commonly compared to Huawei OceanStor Dorado: Huawei OceanStor vs Huawei OceanStor Dorado. Huawei OceanStor is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 25% of all views.

Download the All-Flash Storage Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Huawei OceanStor?

OceanStor Dorado V3 is the industry's first all-flash storage that puts NVMe into commercial use. It is specially designed for enterprises' mission-critical businesses, meeting the most-demanding performance and reliability requirements of databases, VDI, server virtualization, and SAP HANA.

Huawei OceanStor was previously known as OceanStor Dorado V3 All-Flash Storage System, OceanStor 18000 V3 Series Storage Systems, OceanStor 6800 V3 Storage System.

Huawei OceanStor Customers

Piraeus, Clinique Univeritaires Saint-Luc

Huawei OceanStor Video

Huawei OceanStor Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Huawei OceanStor pricing:
  • "Huawei OceanStor is priced very well but is a bit complicated."
  • "The pricing depends on the features the customer wants, such as storage, RAM, and processors, but in general, Huawei is much cheaper compared to Dell and Cisco."
  • "The price of the solution could be less expensive. However, there are not any licensing costs."
  • "We pay a monthly licensing fee for this solution. The price could be less expensive."
  • Huawei OceanStor Reviews

Consulant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Its management interface it's quite simple
    • "OceanStor is cheaper than Dell EMC, and its management interface is quite simple."
    • "CFS integration is one area where OceanStor has some room for improvement. The CFS on OceanStor is dedicated, so it's not integrated with the existing active directory domain."

What is our primary use case?

We are using OceanStor for enterprise and block storage. It is connected to our company and used as backend storage for different virtualization and database solutions.

What is most valuable?

We purchased the HyperMetro feature, but we have not really used it. It would've been very interesting, but we have mainly used the option and clean features.

What needs improvement?

CFS integration is one area where OceanStor has some room for improvement. The CFS on OceanStor is dedicated, so it's not integrated with the existing active directory domain. That's a big issue with this service. Huawei could also improve the power unit on this storage solution. When we conducted some tests, we noticed that the autonomy for the BBU is not really long. Within 15 minutes, it totally went down. OceanStor is out of support and off the market, so Huawei is moving now to Dorado.

Also, the interface is in Chinese in some places. It would be helpful if they could release some versions without Chinese.

I've used OceanStor since 2017.

November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Huawei, Dell Technologies, NetApp and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: November 2022.
    657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

OceanStor's overall stability and performance are quite good. In terms of storage in full flash, we have not been pushing it to the extreme. But we haven't had any performance issues so far.

OceanStor is supposed to be scalable, but we have not really tried it. For scalability, the company chose to move to another solution. They have a couple of systems for storage, with more than 200 hosts.

Huawei technical support was not needed to fix production issues. But I got in touch with them once, and it wasn't very good because we did not get the solution. They were pushing us to embed it, which didn't work for our use case.

Setting up OceanStor is pretty simple compared to Dell EMC, but the time needed for deployment depends on many things. It took around a month because it has to go through several processes to access the data center, get approval, plan the activity, and follow all the internal procedures. So these things make the process take longer.

In terms of maintenance, we load patches from Huawei by open request. They have patches that need to be applied from time to time. Three people are administrating OceanStor directly within the company. We have outside support who can access it on demand, but three people are storage administrators within the company.

OceanStor's pricing is based on features and volume. If you have a feature like IPCC One or HyperMetro, you will get the license for a specific volume. So when you reach that volume limit, you need to extend the license. That is a significant issue with it.

With many other vendors, the licensing model is mainly based on the feature. For instance, if a file is part of the license for Snapshot, once you have the license, it's not linked to the volume or the number of snapshots you do, even when you extend your storage capacity. It is a perpetual license not based on volume. But with Huawei, that is an issue because you need to extend it to still benefit from the feature if you exceed the volume. You have to pay a lot for data. I would estimate that it accounts for about 10% of the license, but the fact that it is based on volume is not a good point, in my opinion.

OceanStor is cheaper than Dell EMC, and its management interface is quite simple. Dell EMC's interface is also straightforward. When I compare OceanStor with the full flash of another vendor, I will say that it performed well with the full load, and we have not seen any efficiency issues.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Huawei OceanStor eight out of 10. I would recommend it to other people.

Yordan Velez Rodríguez - PeerSpot reviewer
    Architect of solutions at Datrix
    Easy operational management
    • "It is easy to use, deploy, communicate and manage this solution."
    • "I would like to see more iterations and direct integration with other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We have about 20 customers using Huawei OceanStor. Each has a different use case. Some use it for storage, virtualization storage and some are using the apps, the pure storage data for intelligent vision products.

How has it helped my organization?

Oceanstor brings to us the best performance as storage for our virtualization cluster, allowing a better performance in the apps that need to manipulate a huge amout of data.

What is most valuable?

The easy of operational management of OceanStor is one of the most valuable feature. It is easy to use, deploy, communicate and manage this solution.

What needs improvement?

OceanStor could use improvement with configuration and synchronizing with other vendors. There is some latency in the migration due to the amount of data.

I would like to see more iterations and direct integration with solutions like Docker and Kubernetes. Also, if the customer needs to make a special solution or have an additional process for analyzing data directly on the storage using data technology, they should be able to do that.

I have been using OceanStor for twelve years. First, 10 years as a final customer and 2 years as a sales partner

OceanStor is a stable product.

Scalability is fine you can add to cluster other superior version or older version, and the orices is the same as the identical model and version. The OceanStor support the fail until 7 of 8 controllers without lost data and wiht the minimal impact to the performance, so the performance has been very good.

We have good support from Huawei, any concerns are resolved very quickly.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Before OceanStor, I used Dell-EMC, HPE 3PAR, Inspur, Openfiler, TrueNAS, FreeNAS. The initial switch was a gift and we use for replace a SAN Software, later we decide replace all professional storage by OceanStor

OceanStor is easy to deploy. We are Co-Care certified partner, and we are CSP 3 star, so we have direct access to Huawei helping us to have a better support internally and for customers

Huawei have de better price, an intuitive and easy UI for maintance and operation, and the license mechanism is perpetual, you don´t need to paying all years

What other advice do I have?

Others who are looking to implement Huawei OceanStor should install first and after that go ahead and reset the configuration. In most common operations, this would be the first step to getting to know the product.

I rate OceanStor a 10 out of 10.

Other
    November 2022
    657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    dkusma - PeerSpot reviewer
    Computer Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
    Good usability and support but needs better documentation
    • "The support is excellent."
    • "The security could be a bit more robust."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in our infrastructure. We use it for storage as well as virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The support is excellent.

The solution is stable.

It can scale.

The useability is good. It's similar to other storage options on the market.

What needs improvement?

We would like the solution to provide better documentation. It needs to be more transparent so that we can figure out how to troubleshoot.

The security could be a bit more robust.

I've used the solution since 2014. It's been about eight years.

The solution is stable. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

While the solution can scale, you do need to pay extra. The more storage you need the more it costs.

We have ten people using the product. It's largely the IT team.

The solution's support is very helpful and responsive.

Every time we need to raise the support, they provide support. They are responsive. However, as a customer, we cannot fix anything from our side. The documentation is not available. Everything is in a black box or something.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We also use IBM and HP for storage. It's not all Huawei. The usability across all of the solutions is similar. The only difference is the documentation for OceanStor isn't readily available. That said, their support is very responsive. The others require you to go through third parties that will analyze the issues first.

The setup was done by Huawei. I don't have much information on the process of implementation.

We used Huawei, a third-party, to help with the setup.

I'm not sure of the exact pricing. Our IT team handles the licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Chief Executive Officer at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
    Reseller
    Easy to implement, runs well, and the price is good
    • "The setup and the price are the most valuable and not the features related."
    • "I would like to see the next generation all-flash, which could be combined."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the software. The hardware, we design ourselves.

We are resellers. We provide business software and the back-end system is a cross-selling theme for us.

What is most valuable?

The setup and the price are the most valuable and not the features related.

On top of the data core environment for software-defined storage, we use machine power and not software technology.

We struggle with finding anything to improve, as it's a powerful solution and is missing nothing.

What needs improvement?

The energy could be better. I would like to see the next generation all-flash, which could be combined.

The interface needs improvement. You have a standardized fiber channel from the past and you have to order a 10 gig interface separately. It would be better to have it all. Huawei has it all in its portfolio, so it can easily be built. They don't have to purchase it, it can be built by themselves.

I have been working with Huawei OceanStor for five years.

We have not contacted technical support because it runs very well. We have not had any issues.

We are also working with Lenovo. Lenovo is in the same price range, but Huawei is a step further.

The implementation is easy because we are educated and experienced in Huawei OceanStor.

Huawei OceanStor is priced very well but is a bit complicated.

You have a price list but have to wait for a discount, which depends on the distribution, where you get it from. This is intransparent, I prefer a clear price policy.

I would prefer having a price quote based on whether you are a reseller if you have silver or gold status, or a customer.

The price list is high and you get a large discount from the price list. I prefer a comparable price list and a smaller discount.

We are always looking for the best solution for the next five years.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Huawei OceanStor an eight out of ten.

Technical Support Executive at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Reseller
    Easy to set up with reasonable pricing and great documentation
    • "The pricing is very reasonable."
    • "Technical support could be more helpful."

What is most valuable?

The solution makes migration very simple.

The initial setup is very easy.

The management of the solution is easy and documentation is very much simple.

With the help of its documentation, if someone is new to the solution, all they need to do is follow the documentation and they can handle the product with ease.

The solution is scalable.

The pricing is very reasonable.

What needs improvement?

I cannot recall coming across areas that need specific improvements.

Technical support could be more helpful.

I'd like to see some cloning or snapshot functionality in the near future.

I've been working with the solution for the last five years or so. It's been a while.

The solution can scale well. A company that needs to expand it can do so with ease.

Technical support is okay. However, sometimes within the support system, they provide some sort of canned automatic reply to the customer instead of setting up communication with the customers.

The initial setup is very simple. Even if a user is new to the product, they can just look at the documentation, and it will guide them through the process.

We do not find the pricing to be very high. It's quite affordable.

What other advice do I have?

We are a distributing partner of Huawei. I have experience in terms of installation, configuration, and professional services.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

I'd recommend the solution to others. I'd also advise on Dorado Storage, however, they would need to use a professional service.

Data Center Engineer at Emerging Communications Limited
    High availability, beneficial hybrid applications, and flawless support
    • "The most valuable feature of Huawei OceanStor is the hybrid applications."
    • "In the future release, Huawei OceanStor should improve on what they already have. It is a good solution."

What is our primary use case?

Most of my clients are service providers and they use it for database storage and the other internal applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Huawei OceanStor is the hybrid applications.

What needs improvement?

In the future release, Huawei OceanStor should improve on what they already have. It is a good solution.

I have been using Huawei OceanStor for approximately six years.

Huawei OceanStor is stable, it has high availability.

We have local support in Tanzania, they give us great support.

I rate the technical support from Huawei OceanStor a five out of five.

I have used other solutions, such as Dell and Cisco. The main difference is a matter of compatibility. Most Dell storage, have compatible with the new processors. Huawei uses its own company processor, which is not as compatible with our customers' needs.

Huawei OceanStor could improve the deployment stage, configuration, and documentation. It is difficult. Huawei OceanStor is not similar to Cisco or Dell. The documentation or procedures is not readily available to the customers.

I would rate the difficulty level of Huawei OceanStor a three out of five.

The pricing depends on the features the customer wants, such as storage, RAM, and processors, but in general, Huawei is much cheaper compared to Dell and Cisco.

I rate the price of Huawei OceanStor a four out of five.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Huawei OceanStor a ten out of ten.

Engineer Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Straightforward installation, stable, and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use Huawei OceanStor as a storage solution for our organization.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having better integration.

I have been using Huawei OceanStor for a few years.

Huawei OceanStor is stable.

Huawei OceanStor is scalable.

We have many users using this solution in my organization.

The technical support from Huawei OceanStor is good.

We previously used another similar solution to Huawei OceanStor and we switched because the price was better.

The installation of Huawei OceanStor is easy and took approximately three hours.

I am able to do the implementation myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Huawei OceanStor an eight out of ten.

Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

Our company has 1000 staff. We have 7 users using OceanStor.

What is most valuable?

This is a stable storage system.

What needs improvement?

We experienced a little latency with this solution.

I have been using OceanStor for three years.

OceanStor is a stable solution.

During installation, we did need to ask for help from Huawei's managers and technical partners. They responded very quickly.

Being a Huawei product, initial setup was easy and not difficult at all. The setup only required one engineer from our team.

What other advice do I have?

If you are starting from scratch with no experience with Huawei, I recommend you talk to the people that have the experience.

I would rate Huawei OceanStor an 8 out of 10.

Download our free All-Flash Storage Arrays Report and find out what your peers are saying about Huawei, Dell Technologies, NetApp, and more!
    Updated: November 2022