Huawei OceanStor Dorado OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Huawei OceanStor Dorado is the #13 ranked solution in best All-Flash Storage Arrays. PeerSpot users give Huawei OceanStor Dorado an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Huawei OceanStor Dorado is most commonly compared to Dell PowerStore: Huawei OceanStor Dorado vs Dell PowerStore. Huawei OceanStor Dorado is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 60% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 29% of all views.

Download the All-Flash Storage Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2022

What is Huawei OceanStor Dorado?

Huawei's OceanStor Dorado V3 all-flash storage is the ideal choice for enterprises' mission-critical business. It is the industry's first commercial use of NVMe all-flash storage, and it delivers high-performing, reliable, and efficient storage services.

Huawei OceanStor Dorado was previously known as OceanStor Dorado V3 All-Flash Storage System.

Huawei OceanStor Dorado Customers

Telecom Italia, Hi3G Sweden, KPN

Huawei OceanStor Dorado Video

Archived Huawei OceanStor Dorado Reviews (more than two years old)

Solution Delivery Expert at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Simple to use with powerful applications
  • "The majority of our customers find this solution simple to use."
  • "There are some limitations to this product because they do not have unified storage."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and the Huawei OceanStor Dorado is one of the products that we are working on for a customer. There are a lot of use cases for it, primarily in the financial and banking sectors.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are CDP and Metro in the Hyper applications.

The majority of our customers find this solution simple to use.

We have been dealing with Huawei for the past 10 years.

This is a stable solution.

October 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Huawei, Dell Technologies, Pure Storage and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: October 2022.
654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is very easy to scale products by Huawei.

Most of our clients who purchase this product are small and medium-sized businesses, although we do have some enterprise-level customers.

Huawei provides different types of services in our region. There are Hi-Care and Co-Care. The Hi-Care services are provided directly by Huawei, whereas Co-Care services are handled by partners. Overall, the support is fine.

I have experience with solutions from other vendors such as Dell EMC and NetApp. The initial setup is easiest with Huawei.

The initial setup is very simple. It will take only five or ten minutes for deployment and the initial tests.

My company has an in-house team that handles the implementation and services for our clients. If the client purchases a maintenance contract then we take care of that, as well.

There are some costs in addition to the standard licensing fees, depending on the requirements. Examples of these are the HyperMetro, HyperReplication, and HyperSnapshot (HyperSnap) features.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering OceanStor Dorado is that it is a very reliable solution with good features. It is a well-established product.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Senior Storage Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Easy to manage, easy to provision storage, and it is a good price to performance ratio
  • "The most valuable feature of this solution is the price to performance ratio."
  • "This solution does not support VMware VVols 2.0."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT distributor and this is one of the storage solutions that we implement for our clients. The primary use case is for VMware virtualization, although it is also used for database system storage. Oracle and other SQL databases require a lot of performance in terms of IO per second, which is met by using OceanStore Dorado.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the price to performance ratio. It is a very good price compared to other products and taking the performance into account, it is probably the best price-to-performance ratio on the market right now.

This solution is easy to manage and storage can be provisioned in a very easy way.

What needs improvement?

The logistics can be improved because sometimes we have to wait a long time for the product to be delivered, despite there being stores available in Europe. Some of our customers are discouraged due to this long wait time.

The marketing for this product needs to be improved because it does not have enough exposure.

This solution does not support VMware VVols 2.0. However, I do not feel that this is necessary.

I have about a year and a half of experience with OceanStor Dorado.

The product is stable. We have not had any complaints about the features or stability of this solution from our customers.

I have not been in contact with technical support, and I have not heard that any of our customers have needed to contact them either.

I am also familiar with Pure Storage. They have a nice product and they concentrate only on storage solutions. It is very easy to manage, as well.

I have also worked with storage solutions by Fujitsu and HPE.

The initial setup is short and rather straightforward. One person can do it on their own.

The length of time required for deployment varies depending on how complex the environment is. For example, the simple provision of storage is very easy, but it is always connected through some kind of SAN so it can take time. However, the product itself takes an hour, at most, to deploy.

We are the distributors for this product and our resellers are the ones who do the implementation and deployment.

There are lots of features included with this solution and some of them require additional licensing, such as creating high availability storage using a cluster.

What other advice do I have?

In Poland, cloud-based workloads are just starting to be adopted. For the time being, the majority of solutions are still deployed on-premises.

Overall, this is a good product that performs well and is easy to manage. Everything that is required by the market, this product already has.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

October 2022
654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Head of Research & Development at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It works perfectly and enables us to use less space for storage
  • "It is very easy to use."
  • "The initial setup was very complex."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution to store our virtualized environment where we supply all the applications in RT and the process of many other types of services to our subsidiaries.

What is most valuable?

The OceanStor V3 5000 was, when we started, the first real NVMe all-flash storage solution. In NVMe, the performance was much more impressive to seek latency and that was unmatched. When we later sold our machine, the supplier did not have any in stock. Only later Dell was able to introduce PowerMax or IBM, and they introduced their new solution integrating the NVMe.

The other advantage is that HyperMetro functionality is app-specific to VMware or to the virtualized environment to have more reliability and higher capability. It is, therefore, possible to have all the data synchronized, using less storage. All the other features inside the system are very reliable and the installation time was shorter. We use less space for storage now - it decreased from two racks to only four units. That is really impressive.

What needs improvement?

We cannot complain because everything is perfect. The service is perfect. Reliability is perfect. We are very impressed with the solution we implemented.

I've been using the solution for more than a year now on premises.

The stability of the solution is perfect.

When we first purchased the program, the system only supported the controller but after a few months they moved from the 4 tera to the 35 tera disk. So it scaled more than eight times. Not only that, but they also released the possibility to have an external disk in NVMe. Now there's really no problem with scaling.

The initial setup was very complex because we did not only implement virtualized environment based on an Intel operative system and Intel servers, but we also implemented the storage for IBM AS/400, which is a specific system for ERT that was not supported 100% by OceanStor. The technical team helped us to implement it and they provided support for two months afterward too.

The pricing is very competitive. At first we were cautious about the NVMe storage but the price was more competitive than other solutions. Even more, if we consider the total cost of ownership of the storage because the cost of maintenance of the all-flash storage is very little. All-flash Huawei is much cheaper than the cost of maintenance of more traditional storage solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I really do recommend this solution to others. There are very few features that are not available in this program: it has compression, it has duplication, it has a clone, it has the alternator, it has replication, it has the CAP. It has everything and very low latency, all integrated into one system. And you need only one software to manage it. It is very easy to use. My rating is ten out of ten.

Senior Systems Engineer at dts
A solution with a simple GUI that's fast and offers very good technical support
  • "The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment takes about a day."
  • "The speeds of the disks themselves need to be faster. The disks are not flash. When we opened our hard drive from the inclusion, I saw a converter, and it's not entirely flash."

What is most valuable?

The solution is very fast, but IBM is winning at the right speed. The GUI is very simple, however, in comparison to IBM. The interface is nice and simple, as are the guides.

What needs improvement?

The speeds of the disks themselves need to be faster. The disks are not flash. When we opened our hard drive from the inclusion, I saw a converter, and it's not entirely flash.

It would be helpful in the future if they could create another solution that can manage both Huawei and non-Huawei boxes.

We're currently testing the solution. It's rather new for us.

I can't speak to its stability. We haven't run any stability tests yet.

Technical support is very responsive. We have many products from Huawei. If something happens, we open a ticket and they assist.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment takes about a day.

We had a consultant assist in the implementation. We just provided the help connecting the cable and installing the rack.

I don't handle pricing, but I do believe it is less expensive than IBM.

What other advice do I have?

We use a hybrid deployment model, and we're currently testing the solution.

I'd rate the solution 8.5 out of ten.

it_user924843 - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Design Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The technical support is great and I like the deduplication features and the graphical user interface
  • "The deduplication features and the graphical user interface (GUI) of the solution are the most valuable to me."
  • "An area of this product that has room for improvement is the NAS capability."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for production.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

An area of this product that has room for improvement is the NAS capability.

I have been using this solution for around six months now.

The solution is very stable.

I am impressed by the scalability of the solution.

I've only had to use technical support a few times because the solution is very stable. They always have very good support.

We did previously use a different solution, but we switched due to Huawei's better price-performance ratio.

We used an integrator for the installation and the initial setup was really straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be that it's a very good product and I'm very happy with it. In the next version, it would be nice to have a converged solution for NAS and SAN. On a scale from one to 10, where one is the worst and 10 is the best, I will rate a nine, because it's a very good product and it's stable. It just lacks automation support for automation products.

Download our free All-Flash Storage Arrays Report and find out what your peers are saying about Huawei, Dell Technologies, Pure Storage, and more!
Updated: October 2022