We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Huawei OceanStor Dorado OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Huawei OceanStor Dorado is #16 ranked solution in best All-Flash Storage Arrays. PeerSpot users give Huawei OceanStor Dorado an average rating of 8 out of 10. Huawei OceanStor Dorado is most commonly compared to Dell EMC PowerStore: Huawei OceanStor Dorado vs Dell EMC PowerStore. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 44% of all views.
What is Huawei OceanStor Dorado?

Huawei's OceanStor Dorado V3 all-flash storage is the ideal choice for enterprises' mission-critical business. It is the industry's first commercial use of NVMe all-flash storage, and it delivers high-performing, reliable, and efficient storage services.

Huawei OceanStor Dorado was previously known as OceanStor Dorado V3 All-Flash Storage System.

Download the All-Flash Storage Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Huawei OceanStor Dorado Customers

Telecom Italia, Hi3G Sweden, KPN

Huawei OceanStor Dorado Video

Huawei OceanStor Dorado Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Huawei OceanStor Dorado pricing:
  • "Huawei has very good pricing. They have some promotions that can be taken advantage of at certain times of the year, such as the end of December. They are providing aggressive pricing. In the Pakistan market, they are ready to beat any vendor in Pakistan because they want to grab the market."
  • "There are lots of features included with this solution and some of them require additional licensing, such as creating high availability storage using a cluster."
  • "The price of the solution is reasonable. There is not a vendor that offers an All-Flash Storage Array at the price of Huawei OceanStor Dorado. The other solutions are approximately 50% higher."
  • "There are some costs in addition to the standard licensing fees, depending on the requirements."
  • "This product is not too expensive, and the price is competitive on the market."
  • Huawei OceanStor Dorado Reviews

Regional Sales Manager at New horizon
    Highly expandable, plenty of features, and good support
    • "The most valuable features are the five chips architecture and the purpose-built NVMe hard disk drive. Additionally, the IOPS feature is good."
    • "The data compression and deduplication ratio of Huawei OceanStor Dorado is not as good as other solutions, such as EMC and Pure Storage. It is important when looking at capacity effectiveness."

What is our primary use case?

Huawei OceanStor Dorado is used for system backups.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the five chips architecture and the purpose-built NVMe hard disk drive. Additionally, the IOPS feature is good.

What needs improvement?

The data compression and deduplication ratio of Huawei OceanStor Dorado is not as good as other solutions, such as EMC and Pure Storage. It is important when looking at capacity effectiveness.

The solution should be properly sized because if it is not there could be flexibility issues. The system should be sized properly and once it is delivered to the customer, they should ensure everything was done correctly.

When the US and China political issues come into play they have issues in qualifying the US applications with their new storage models. Many issues can arise. For example, customers might want to use Oracle hardware with their Huawei hardware to solve some of their use cases but the companies will not coordinate with each other. The political situation makes Huawei OceanStor Dorado not integrate well.

In an upcoming release, it would be a benefit to have better algorithms on data reduction, data compression, and data deduplication.

I have been using Huawei OceanStor Dorado for approximately two years.

Huawei claims if you choose their enterprise controller, such as the 8000, when you have a cluster of eight controllers, up to seven controllers can be down, and you can still be in operation. However, with their feature Metro Cluster that can be achieved by having 70 kilometers across two-site, you can have seven, nine.

The solution is stable enough as long as you do not do mistakes during implementation.

Huawei OceanStor Dorado has amazing scalability. As long as the specifications are correct in relation to the datasheets, there are no other storages that can provide a high level of scalability for scale-up and scale-out.

It has the capacity of adding up to 16 or even 32 controllers. Both the EMC and IBM cannot add expansion boxes with their controllers but Huawei OceanStor Dorado has it in their architecture. You can have hard drives without adding the controllers.

The technical support is good. They have has shifted the support to their Dubai region. They now have proper infrastructure. They're Egypt's support and all the support agents are good in communication. Previously Huawei was having communication issues. The engineers were in China and they were having issues, but they have become much more professionals and they are ready to do RCA without any additional cost.

IBM does root cause analysis and I have seen Huawei support do root cause analysis which is a plus point.

In our implementation there are complications. I am not a technician but I have heard it requires eight hard drives to set up. For example, if customers are looking for NAS and SAN and want to have a small cluster of hard disk drives to enable both of these features. You can't do it because you need eight hard disk drives for a separate pool. For NAS, you will again need eight hard disk drives. You will need a total of 16 hard drives to make it a NAS and SAN storage system functional.

Huawei has very good pricing. They have some promotions that can be taken advantage of at certain times of the year, such as the end of December. They are providing aggressive pricing. In the Pakistan market, they are ready to beat any vendor in Pakistan because they want to grab the market.

I have evaluated products from many vendors, such as IBM, HPE, EMC, and Pure Storage.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure exactly what features, attract customers, but Huawei is very popular in Pakistan. Huawei is taking share away from EMC and IBM and their hard disk drive, the NVMe, is not just a hard drive, but they have engineered it for the solution.

Some customers who don't like Huawei, say they're not coming up with Intel processors but only coming out with Kunpeng. This is not a negative point but some competition tries to create negativity for Huawei products.

All these storage solutions are only commodity hardware. Everybody is focusing on the cost per terabyte. A CTO should look at the capacity, cost per terabyte, SLA offered, and type of IT equipment offered. The performance key milestones, such as IOPS, the bandwidth of the storage, and which product is providing minimal latency. If these are the milestones a CTO wants to achieve. I think Huawei is one of the best products that can achieve all of these aspects other than pricing. I would recommend organizations to consider Huawei OceanStor Dorado.

I rate Huawei OceanStor Dorado a nine out of ten.

Deputy director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to use with a nice interface and a straightforward setup
    • "The initial setup is very straightforward."
    • "It should have easy connectivity with the AIX, however, I've found that with AIX, it has some issues and due to this, we need to remove the exact fiber card sometimes and then plug it in again so that it can connect with the AIX systems."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for on-premises storage.

I'm using it with VMware and then with AIX systems, AIX power systems, and VMware as the VMFS.

What is most valuable?

Overall, it works fine.

It's really easy to use. Its interface is very good.

The solution can scale.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

With Huawei Durado we have some issues regarding the connectivity with the AIX system. It should have easy connectivity with the AIX, however, I've found that with AIX, it has some issues and due to this, we need to remove the exact fiber card sometimes and then plug it in again so that it can connect with the AIX systems.

IBM flash is much better than Huawei, with respect to the response time and performance.

One thing that is really a little annoying is the graphical interface regarding the performance and iOS. That is a little complicated. The GUI could be better with respect to performance.

With in-place upgrades, the data should really be right on the desktop. If you want to move to the next version of the box, for example, if I have a Durado 3000 and want to move towards a 6000 version, it should have an in-place upgrade, rather than a complete migration requirement.

I've used the solution for around two years or so.

The solution is scalable. It has two controllers and if I want to move to the next version, it's in place. However, an upgrade is not possible with Durado.

To date, we have not needed support. Fortunately, right now, there has been no hardware failure or system failure. It's been very good in terms of working without issues, therefore, I can't speak to any knowledge of how technical support works. I've never dealt with them.

We also use IBM, and I find its performance to be better. It also has better response times.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult.

The deployment process is very short. It just takes ten to 20 minutes. It's very fast. It's shouldn't take any longer than that.

I'm already a technical person, so I don't find any difficulty with the setup process. I can handle it myself. I do not need an integrator or consultant to assist me.

I had all the licenses initially bought. I couldn't speak to the licensing, as I have bought all the licenses initially.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'd recommend the solution to others. It's good storage. It is compatible with other operating systems. IBM has much better performance in the same category box, however. I rank the IBM option much higher.

In general, I would rate this product at an eight out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Huawei, Dell EMC, Pure Storage and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: January 2022.
    564,729 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Storage Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Reseller
    Easy to manage, easy to provision storage, and it is a good price to performance ratio
    • "The most valuable feature of this solution is the price to performance ratio."
    • "This solution does not support VMware VVols 2.0."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT distributor and this is one of the storage solutions that we implement for our clients. The primary use case is for VMware virtualization, although it is also used for database system storage. Oracle and other SQL databases require a lot of performance in terms of IO per second, which is met by using OceanStore Dorado.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the price to performance ratio. It is a very good price compared to other products and taking the performance into account, it is probably the best price-to-performance ratio on the market right now.

This solution is easy to manage and storage can be provisioned in a very easy way.

What needs improvement?

The logistics can be improved because sometimes we have to wait a long time for the product to be delivered, despite there being stores available in Europe. Some of our customers are discouraged due to this long wait time.

The marketing for this product needs to be improved because it does not have enough exposure.

This solution does not support VMware VVols 2.0. However, I do not feel that this is necessary.

I have about a year and a half of experience with OceanStor Dorado.

The product is stable. We have not had any complaints about the features or stability of this solution from our customers.

I have not been in contact with technical support, and I have not heard that any of our customers have needed to contact them either.

I am also familiar with Pure Storage. They have a nice product and they concentrate only on storage solutions. It is very easy to manage, as well.

I have also worked with storage solutions by Fujitsu and HPE.

The initial setup is short and rather straightforward. One person can do it on their own.

The length of time required for deployment varies depending on how complex the environment is. For example, the simple provision of storage is very easy, but it is always connected through some kind of SAN so it can take time. However, the product itself takes an hour, at most, to deploy.

We are the distributors for this product and our resellers are the ones who do the implementation and deployment.

What other advice do I have?

In Poland, cloud-based workloads are just starting to be adopted. For the time being, the majority of solutions are still deployed on-premises.

Overall, this is a good product that performs well and is easy to manage. Everything that is required by the market, this product already has.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

IT Service Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good stability and performance with helpful technical support
    • "The installation and management are very easy."
    • "The product could always be faster."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for our VMware and some of our systems.

What is most valuable?

We like that the solution is all-flash.

The solution has a sufficient amount of storage on offer.

The solution is very stable.

So far, we have found it to be quite scalable.

The initial setup is fairly straightforward and not overly complex. The installation and management are very easy.

The performance is very good.

Technical support is quite good.

What needs improvement?

The solution can always be more stable.

The product could always be faster.

I've been using this solution for about four months or so. It's still relatively new.

The solution's stability is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. Its performance is reliable.

We have found the scalability to be pretty good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so with relative ease.

We have about 5,000 users on the solution currently.

We do have plans to increase usage in the future.

The technical support is quite good. They are helpful and responsive. We've been happy with their level of support.

We did previously have another solution, however, I can't recall what the actual name of the product was.

The installation is not overly complex. it's not difficult. It's straightforward. We didn't have any issues with the setup process.

It's a hardware installation. Afterward, the software installation is done for management purposes.

We have four people on staff that can handle any maintenance required. They are all engineers.

We used a Huawei consultant. The process went smoothly and we were happy to have their assistance.

It's my understanding that we paid a one-time licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and an end-user.

We use the Dorado 6000 model and it is the latest version.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten overall. We have been quite satisfied with the solution.

I'd definitely recommend the solution to others.

Ehsan-Zaidi
    CTO at ACOM
    Helpful support, plenty of features, and highly scalable
    • "Most of the features which all enterprises storages solutions have are available in Huawei OceanStor Dorado."
    • "The user interface of Huawei OceanStor Dorado could be more user-friendly. Other solutions, such as EMC, have a better user interface."

What is our primary use case?

Huawei OceanStor Dorado is used for backing up data.

What is most valuable?

Most of the features which all enterprises storages solutions have are available in Huawei OceanStor Dorado.

What needs improvement?

The user interface of Huawei OceanStor Dorado could be more user-friendly. Other solutions, such as EMC, have a better user interface.

We have experienced some minor issues with the integration of the solution.

I have been using Huawei OceanStor Dorado for approximately two years.

Stability and reliability are the most important feature of Huawei OceanStor Dorado. It does not crash, or give any errors.

The scalability of this solution is very good.

I would rate the technical support for Huawei OceanStor Dorado a ten out of ten.

The local engineers are helpful. They go to the customers' site location to assist. Remote support is also available, but our customers prefer on-premises support.

I have used many other solutions from different vendors, such as Cisco, EMC, HP, and Dell.

The deployment of EMC is on one click. Huawei deployment is a little complex and could be simplified.

We are mostly trained in Cisco, EMC, HP, and Dell. This is why we had some problems.

Huawei has integration tools and their support team did everything for us, it went very smoothly.

The price of the solution is reasonable. There is not a vendor that offers an All-Flash Storage Array at the price of Huawei OceanStor Dorado. The other solutions are approximately 50% higher.

What other advice do I have?

Huawei OceanStor Dorado does a great job in providing all the major features other enterprise-level solutions offer but at a reduced price. It is a reliable product and you can have peace of mind.

If you have proper planning then the solution will work well. However, if the company does not want a Chinese product they do not have to purchase it.

I rate Huawei OceanStor Dorado a nine out of ten.

Sushin Kurunnantavida
    Head of Enterprise Horizondal Division at Computech Limited
    Reseller
    Easy to set up with good functionality and good stability
    • "I've been satisfied with the level of attention I'm given when I reach out to technical support."
    • "I would really like to see Heterogeneous Storage Virtualization in a future release."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a customer's company. We're resellers.

What is most valuable?

The compression on offer is the most valuable aspect of the solution at this time.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with its functionality.

The initial setup is very easy.

I've found the solution to be stable.

The product can scale.

The solution is affordable and reasonably priced. It offers good value for money.

What needs improvement?

I would really like to see Heterogeneous Storage Virtualization in a future release.

I've been using the solution for almost one and a half years. It hasn't been that long just yet.

The solution has been stable. I have not experienced bugs or glitches and I wouldn't say that I've ever seen it crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is scalable so far. If a company needs to expand it, it can.

We typically work with medium-sized organizations and enterprises.

So far, technical support has been great I have no complaints. they are helpful and responsive.

I've worked with HP, Dell, Lenovo, Hitachi, and NetApp. Out of all of these, I still prefer to use Dorado.

The solution is not overly complex or difficult in terms of the initial implementation. It's pretty simple and straightforward.

Deployment takes about two and a half hours or so. It's not a long period of time.

The pricing has been very reasonable. I wouldn't describe it as expensive. Likely, any company would find the solution to be affordable.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a reseller and consultant.

I'd a good solution that offers very good value for money.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Solution Delivery Expert at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Simple to use with powerful applications
    • "The majority of our customers find this solution simple to use."
    • "There are some limitations to this product because they do not have unified storage."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and the Huawei OceanStor Dorado is one of the products that we are working on for a customer. There are a lot of use cases for it, primarily in the financial and banking sectors.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are CDP and Metro in the Hyper applications.

The majority of our customers find this solution simple to use.

We have been dealing with Huawei for the past 10 years.

This is a stable solution.

It is very easy to scale products by Huawei.

Most of our clients who purchase this product are small and medium-sized businesses, although we do have some enterprise-level customers.

Huawei provides different types of services in our region. There are Hi-Care and Co-Care. The Hi-Care services are provided directly by Huawei, whereas Co-Care services are handled by partners. Overall, the support is fine.

I have experience with solutions from other vendors such as Dell EMC and NetApp. The initial setup is easiest with Huawei.

The initial setup is very simple. It will take only five or ten minutes for deployment and the initial tests.

My company has an in-house team that handles the implementation and services for our clients. If the client purchases a maintenance contract then we take care of that, as well.

There are some costs in addition to the standard licensing fees, depending on the requirements. Examples of these are the HyperMetro, HyperReplication, and HyperSnapshot (HyperSnap) features.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering OceanStor Dorado is that it is a very reliable solution with good features. It is a well-established product.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Solution Delivery Expert at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Fast support, easy to deploy, priced competitively, and well-serves our DR purposes
    • "This is a stable product that we can use for DR in production."
    • "If they implement a backup solution directly into the OceanStor then it will be a valuable feature."

What is our primary use case?

We have this product deployed in our data center and are using it for DR purposes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is Snap Mirroring.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Huawei OceanStor Dorado for between four and five years.

This is a stable product that we can use for DR in production. We plan to continue using it.

This solution is scalable and you can expand it to petabytes. We have more than 500 users.

Huawei's technical support is very advanced. Customers can directly approach a Huawei technical person by logging a ticket and providing an email address. They will definitely respond in one or two hours.

The support is fast but the customer needs to understand what data they need for support.

We call use another storage product, the Dell EMC Unity 300.

The installation and configuration are quite simple.

The length of time required for deployment depends on your scenario. If you deploy it as a DR site, it will take between three and four hours to complete. This includes all of the features.

We implemented and deployed in-house.

Not many people are needed for deployment maintenance. A minimum of two people can deploy and manage it.

All of the brands have different architectures for licensing. Some licenses come standard with the product, whereas some you need to buy.

This product is not too expensive, and the price is competitive on the market.

What other advice do I have?

For me, this is a good solution and there is no need to improve it. I recommend it to others.

Product Categories
    All-Flash Storage Arrays
    Download our free All-Flash Storage Arrays Report and find out what your peers are saying about Huawei, Dell EMC, Pure Storage, and more!