Hillstone E-Series OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Hillstone E-Series is the #5 ranked solution in top SSL VPN tools, #12 ranked solution in top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools, and #26 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give Hillstone E-Series an average rating of 9.6 out of 10. Hillstone E-Series is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Hillstone E-Series vs Fortinet FortiGate. Hillstone E-Series is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 59% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Firewalls Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2023

What is Hillstone E-Series?

Hillstone E-Series next generation firewalls provide visibility and control of web applications regardless of port, protocol, or evasive action. It can identify and prevent potential threats associated with high-risk applications while providing policy-based control over applications, users, and user-groups. Policies can be defined that guarantee bandwidth to mission-critical applications while restricting or blocking inappropriate or malicious applications. Hillstone E-Series firewalls incorporate comprehensive network security and advanced firewall features. They provide superior price performance, excellent energy efficiency, and a smaller size when compared to competing products.

Hillstone E-Series Customers

Bank of China Macao, Instituto Tecnológico Bolivariano, Ministry of Labor in San Salvador, FEDCO

Hillstone E-Series Video

Hillstone E-Series Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Hillstone E-Series pricing:
  • "The cost per year for licensing, and hardware, is approximately $850 for the basic plan."
  • "The licensing model is very complex with many subcategories of licenses you can purchase. They could make it more simplified for customers to understand."
  • Hillstone E-Series Reviews

Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Efficient call processor and overall amazing ROI
    • "Very reliable solution with good scalability and straightforward implementation."
    • "Five out of five ROI."
    • "SSL VPN license cost is not cheap."

What is our primary use case?

We deploy the firewalls here in schools, in universities, in energy companies, so they like it very much.

What is most valuable?

They have their own call processor 64-bit. With the call processor, they're able to perform according to the load of the data volume that goes through these firewalls.

What needs improvement?

The room for improvement would be the SSL VPN license cost. They're not cheap, that's the only problem. Those are a little more on expensive side, but again, not many would deploy Hillstone for SSL VPN, they use purely for file protection.

I've been using it for two to three years.

Firewalls
    January 2023
    Find out what your peers are saying about Hillstone Networks, Fortinet, Sophos and others in Firewalls. Updated: January 2023.
    670,331 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's a very reliable solution.

The scalability is very good.

We have a lot support from Hillstone. We contact them when we have some unknown variable cases. They're very good. There are a few levels of tech support, so it depends on the nature of the problem, but most of the time, we can resolve issues on our own.

Comparing Barracuda with Hillstone, Barracuda is not a firewall. They're more like an accelerator or a web access firewall (WAF). Hillstone is not built to be a WAF, so we are comparing an apple an orange. It's very difficult for me compare because they're both very different products.

It's very easy to setup and easy to maintain. It's a quite straightforward implementation. Internally, we're trained by Hillstone to do the deployment on our own.

I would rate the ROI a five out of five because TCO is amazing. It does the job and the cost of maintenance is very affordable. To give you an idea, if we compare Fortinet with Hillstone and their different customers, normally after one year, or just before the year is up, we have to remind the Fortinet customer to renew their subscription. When we call them, they have to handle the price. It's very expensive.

With Hillstone customers, they're quite different. Every year, instead of us going to them, they come to us and say, "Hey, we need to renew." After going through a round of renewals, they keep coming back to us for renewal. I ask them to renew for three years because it's cheaper, but they say no because they want to do it every year.

These are two different kinds of customers who choose two different brands. That's the catch. With Hillstone, TCO and ROI are very good. It's an easy sale.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the E-Series a nine out of ten.

If you want to go for value for money and don't go for the E-Series, the only advice I would give is upon purchase, get whatever base you need, or the bundle you need at three-year pricing. That way, the annual cost is very cheap. It's much cheaper than any of the competitors out there. Whether buying the first unit with a 12-month period, you buy one at first purchase with a 36-month period and your cost savings are expanded from there. That's the thing about the Hillstone, it is value for money in terms of a firewall. It is really, it does the job very well.

In fact, I think the founder of Hillstone was recently invited to be part of the Forbes Technology Council. You don't apply, you get to be invited to be part of the council and that was quite impressive.

With the Apple iPhone, you see the iOS Apple IOS updates every now and then. There are a lot of security updates. The Hillstone team has contributed quite a number of reports to Apple in terms of vulnerabilities to their current iOS and Apple actually accepted those recommendations. They put those recommendations in the next iOS expression update.

The Hillstone team has actually contributed a fair bit to Apple in terms of all this. They're also a strategic partner with Microsoft, whereby Microsoft endorses Hillstone for the security of the Azure Cloud. It's one of a few partners. For five years in a row, Hillstone has also been on the Gartner chart as the best enterprise for firewall feature innovation.

CHATHURANGAJAYAWEEEA - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of Cybersecurity at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    An excellent cyber-security tool that is quick and easy to setup
    • "This solution has two main features that we find very valuable; a threat-intelligence option, and a web/application filtering option. The technical support team are very good and very quick."
    • "The current usage reporting is very basic."

What is our primary use case?

We use the product to provide prevention against gateway-level attacks for our customers.

What is most valuable?

This solution has two main features that we find very valuable; a threat-intelligence option, and a web/application filtering option.

What needs improvement?

The current usage reporting is very basic. I would like to be able to access more granular data.

We have been using the solution for a year.

We have found the solution to be very stable.

The solution is scalable.

The technical support team are very good and very quick.

The initial setup was very easy. Deployment of the solution, using advanced configuration, took an hour using only one person.

The implementation was carried out in-house.

What other advice do I have?

We use the basic E1600P model of the solution, and I would recommend this version to businesses with up to 50 concurrent users. I would rate this solution as 10 out of 10.

We utilize the on-premises version of the solution, but there is also a cloud-based version available.

Firewalls
    January 2023
    670,331 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Product Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Simple installation, good technical support, but simplified pricing model needed
    • "The installation is easy, we have not had any complaints from our customers."

I have been using Hillstone E-Series within the past 12 months.

We have been satisfied with the technical support for small and medium scale clients but we have not seen the support quality for the needs of enterprise organizations.

The installation is easy, we have not had any complaints from our customers.

I have evaluated other solutions, such as Palo Alto and Check Point.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Hillstone E-Series a seven out of ten.

Download our free Firewalls Report and find out what your peers are saying about Hillstone Networks, Fortinet, Sophos, and more!
      Updated: January 2023