Heroku OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Heroku is the #8 ranked solution in PaaS Services. PeerSpot users give Heroku an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Heroku is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure: Heroku vs Microsoft Azure. Heroku is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the PaaS Clouds Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Heroku?

Established in 2007, Heroku is a cloud application platform providing a streamlined, efficient place for web app developers to create and deploy their applications. Heroku is designed to maximize developer productivity. With the entire web application development process available on the Herokucloud, creating and rolling out web apps has been made more efficient, convenient, and cost-effective than ever before.

Heroku Customers

Facebook, UrbanDictionary, Code for America, Mailchimp, Rapportive, GitHub, TED, and Lyft.

Heroku Video

Heroku Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Heroku pricing:
  • "Its price is very good."
  • "There is a standard fee for a processing unit, they call them "dynos," and then you pay for add-ons."
  • "The price of Heroku could be less expensive."
  • Heroku Reviews

Robert Urech - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director for Business Development at LIVING CONSULTORIA
    Easy to configure and use, easily expandable with a variety of plugins, and helpful technical support
    • "The platform is very Node.js-friendly, which is something that is important to us."
    • "We would like to be notified when something goes wrong in the process. When something is not working, we should get an alert."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Heroku for Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) and to build bots.

It is also used for mobile web applications such as Telegram and WhatsApp.

The websites are used for a variety of use cases, and one of the ones that we develop is for e-commerce. It can fill in forms and we have robot advisors to assist people with decision making.

How has it helped my organization?

Because of how well it performs, we have decided to put all of our mobile and robot applications directly on the platform.

What is most valuable?

This product is really stable, powerful, and easy to configure.

There are a variety of plugins available, which makes it easy to expand.

Colleagues of mine from another company have been using Heroku for Ruby on Rails, and they are happy with how it performs.

What needs improvement?

I have an issue with the session server in terms of how it can scale, and where I can put my sessions. I know that there are some possibilities but I haven't found a solution for this problem yet.

The vendor should provide us with information concerning the best practices with respect to scalability. It may be that I'm too much of a novice, or that there are gaps in my knowledge because the product does not explain these features well, or perhaps what I'm looking for is not actually available.

At this time, we are very interested in the automation of the deployment process, and keeping track of deployment metrics. Adding these types of features would be helpful.

I would also like to have better control over how the application reacts to issues such as malfunctions. If something is not working properly then I would like to be able to failover or change how my application behaves.

November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Heroku, Microsoft, Google and others in PaaS Clouds. Updated: November 2022.
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been working with Heroku for more than a year.

Heroku is a really stable and powerful platform.

Over the course of a full year, we had only one day where it was a little bit unstable.

When we first started using this product, we could see its potential in terms of scalability. In part, this is because of the number of plugins that are available.

In some departments, we have implemented add-ons. For example, there are APM plugins to make entries directly into the log files.

I can remember only one issue where we had contacted technical support. We found out that there was a security setting that prevented access. However, I'm not absolutely sure if it was on the side of Heroku or on the destination.

It has to do with a firewall that prevented us from accessing a server from the United States. Ultimately, we configured it properly and everything was okay. What slowed us down was a lack of knowledge on our side. Once we were able to check with support, things were okay and we had no issues.

Heroku is very easy to set up. Also, it is very easy to configure.

A lot of people in our company know how to set it up.

The pricing model is very good.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Heroku is that it's really simple to use, it's stable, and it is very powerful for continuous deployment. It is application service-oriented and an overall great product.

In summary, we are very happy with it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Marcelo Murad - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director at Imaginedone
    Good pricing, highly scalable, very easy to set up, and allows us to focus on the functionality that we need and takes care of everything else
    • "It is easy to deploy applications, and we don't need to bother about software updates on the server. We don't need to bother about machines, servers, and hardware. We only need to care about the system and functionality that we need or want to develop. They take care of everything else. It provides high availability. It is a pretty good solution that provides everything that we need. It has everything that we need to run our applications. We have many different applications, and we generate three million bills for a company in Brazil. We see more than a billion requests per day in another application. Everything works just fine, and it is very good."
    • "Their support is good, but they can improve their response time."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients use it to deploy the production, development, and staging environments. Its version depends on our clients' needs. Usually, it is a customized system that needs to be scaled.

How has it helped my organization?

For a client, we pay for one computer for running the application. When we have to generate their bills, we scale up to 100 computers, and we are able to generate three million bills in five minutes. Before using Heroku, it took them 10 hours to generate these three million bills.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to deploy applications, and we don't need to bother about software updates on the server. We don't need to bother about machines, servers, and hardware. We only need to care about the system and functionality that we need or want to develop. They take care of everything else. It provides high availability.

It is a pretty good solution that provides everything that we need. It has everything that we need to run our applications. We have many different applications, and we generate three million bills for a company in Brazil. We see more than a billion requests per day in another application. Everything works just fine, and it is very good.

What needs improvement?

Their support is good, but they can improve their response time.

We are a partner of Heroku since 2009.

Its stability is very good. In the last few years, we had only one problem with stability where we couldn't log in to their administrative control panel, but it did not impact the running of the application.

Its scalability is very good.

We don't need to talk to them a lot. Five years ago, we needed their help because we had a memory issue with an application, and they helped by email. The response was very good, but it was not as much on-time as phone support. Their support has improved since they have been acquired by Salesforce.

It is very easy to set up. You have the application up and running with just two commands. It takes 20 seconds. That's why Heroku is very good.

Its price is very good.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to use Heroku and all of its functionalities, you need to understand how to develop an application to run it in the cloud.

I would rate Heroku a ten out of ten. It is a good tool.

Other
    November 2022
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Cristian Molina - PeerSpot reviewer
    Ruby programmer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
    Very good for implementing new apps and pushing changes
    • "It's easy to push a change and to deploy new things."
    • "Heroku doesn't support Docker images on the CI infrastructure."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this product is for hosting Ruby applications. Probably more than half of the people at our company use Heroku for applications. I am a customer of Heroku and a Ruby programmer.

What is most valuable?

I like the operations of the product because it makes it easy to push a change and to deploy new things. We trust the store for add-ons, they are pretty good with some solutions like storage or login add-ons.

What needs improvement?

They used to have MongoDB add-ons, but currently I think they've stopped and I'm not sure why. There is an issue because Heroku supports Docker container images, but not if you're using the continuous integration infrastructure. I really think Heroku should support Docker images on the CI infrastructure. For now, you cannot use those images and have to use the certified ones they provide for continuous integration and continuous delivery.

They have a free plan but it only provides three hours of service, after which you have to switch to a pay plan. It's when you start to scale the application it becomes costly. There should be more scalability options for storage. It would be nice to have more official stacks, to try and support more languages to stack officially.

I've been using this solution for eight years.

There are some stability issues from time to time.

The technical support isn't bad. The response time could be improved but I last contacted them some time ago when they were still using email and didn't have a direct chat option. It was either email or on a forum. It's probably improved since then.

Deployment time depends on the type of applications you plan to use. Deployment usually takes less than three minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It's very good for small organizations with low traffic that don't need a lot of storage. If you need more storage, you should use an extra add-on or connection like Amazon.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Marcelo Murad - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director at Imaginedone
    A scalable solution that is easy to deploy and maintain and makes application deployment easy and straightforward
    • "One of the best things about Heroku is that it is very easy and straightforward to deploy an application."
    • "Heroku had an authentication problem a few months ago, but they solved it."

What is most valuable?

It's easy to deploy and maintain, and it's easy to get alerts. It's also scalable. Developers usually don't want to deal with servers, web servers, and proxies. Heroku addresses all of these things for you, so the developers can focus on development.

What needs improvement?

Heroku had an authentication problem a few months ago, but they solved it. That's the only problem that I can recall having with the solution.

I have been using Heroku for about ten to twelve years.

The stability of the product is very good.

Heroku is all about scalability, that's their main business. It's a cloud platform that you use to develop and deploy your application, so you get scalability.

We have 50 clients that use Heroku and access Heroku applications. We have clients that have three million or five million users and Heroku works very good. When we get new clients, we recommend Heroku.

The technical support is very good. Usually we don't need to talk with them, but every time that we need it, they are very fast in their answers.

It's straightforward and very easy to set up. One of the best things about Heroku is that it is very easy and straightforward to deploy an application. You develop it and type a few words and your application is up and running in the production server.

If you hire Heroku directly from Heroku, you pay monthly, but if you hire Heroku from Salesforce, you pay yearly. There is a standard fee for a processing unit, they call them "dynos," and then you pay for add-ons. If you need a database, min cache, or proxy, you pay for each add-on.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others looking to implement Heroku would be try it and you'll like it. It's very easy.

I would rate this solution as a nine out of ten.

CristianMolina - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior programmer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Continuous integration, simple deployment, and beneficial application

What is our primary use case?

We are using Heroku to create applications for the education sector.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Heroku is the continuous integration and applications it provides.

What needs improvement?

We have to do daily restarts of some processes, which is annoying, and the support for custom CI could be better.

I have been using Heroku for approximately 10 years.

The solution is stable.

Heroku has been scalable. We have not had any problem.

We have approximately 200 people in my organization.

I have used the support a few times and my experience has been good.

The deployment of Heroku is easy, it did not take a lot of time.

I sometimes do the implementation of the solution for my customers and there are times they have done the process themself.

We have two engineers for the support of this solution.

The price of Heroku could be less expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is for them to always look for alternatives because there could be something better on the market, such as better performance.

I rate Heroku an eight out of ten.

Download our free PaaS Clouds Report and find out what your peers are saying about Heroku, Microsoft, Google, and more!
    Updated: November 2022