Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

ESET Protect OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ESET Protect is #10 ranked solution in top Anti-Malware Tools. PeerSpot users give ESET Protect an average rating of 9.6 out of 10. ESET Protect is most commonly compared to ESET Endpoint Antivirus: ESET Protect vs ESET Endpoint Antivirus. ESET Protect is popular among the small business segment, accounting for 39% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 26% of all views.

Download the Anti-Malware Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is ESET Protect?

ESET PROTECT Console ensures real-time visibility for all endpoints as well as full reporting and security management for all OSes

• Cloud-based console with the possibility of an on-premises deployment
  • Provides real-time visibility of all endpoints: desktops, servers, virtual machines and even managed mobile devices
  • Enables full reporting for ESET security solutions
  • Controls endpoint prevention, detection & response layers across all platforms
  • Connect anytime, anywhere from your favorite web browser

ESET Protect was previously known as ESET File Security.

ESET Protect Video

ESET Protect Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ESET Protect pricing:
"There is a license needed to use ESET Protect. The licensing cost is very low, it is approximately $10 per license."

ESET Protect Reviews

Assistant Manager at HUDSON
Good reporting tools, lots of configuration options, and easy to scale
  • "The solution offers a lot of configuration capabilities."
  • "The solution can be quite technical and therefore is challenging for new users."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security purposes.

What is most valuable?

The reporting tools are the solution's most valuable aspect. We're able to see what is going on within the network to see if there is any illicit activity happening.

Overall, the solution works pretty well as far as I know. Internal security is like modern warfare. You rely on it to tell you you are alright and your system is clean. In that sense, it's been effective, and I have no complaints in terms of its capabilities.

The solution offers a lot of configuration capabilities.

The solution offers good documentation and step by step guides.

The logging is very good.

What needs improvement?

The way that the remote deployment works needs to be improved. I'm not sure if Trend Micro is still around, however, we found that solution much easier to deploy. They need to update their deployment methodology.

The solution can be quite technical and therefore is challenging for new users.

I've been using the solution for seven years.

September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about ESET, Microsoft, Check Point and others in Anti-Malware Tools. Updated: September 2022.
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability of the solution is great. It doesn't crash. It doesn't freeze. It doesn't seem to have bugs or glitches. We've found it to be quite reliable in the five years we've worked with it.

It's fairly easy to scale the solution if you need to. I believe it's just a matter of getting more licenses. That's all. I don't see that as a limitation.

We've dealt with technical support previously. It's been a pleasant experience whenever I've dealt with them. I haven't had to deal with them too much, however, they are always helpful. They're knowledgeable and responsive.

We used to use Trend Micro. We've used other products as well.

The other products that we did use, why we chose them would boil down to the fact that a lot of them offered this educational discount. It was quite a big selling point. The other products that I was aware of the company using previously were on par with this solution. However, this solution ended up being more expensive, purely because they don't offer educational discounts. With a school obviously having multiple devices you are kind of seen as being an enterprise by many companies.

The initial setup was not complex. The implementation was pretty straightforward. However, the deployment could be easier.

That said, a basic setup only takes an hour or two to implement completely.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

We tend to use the solution's most recent version. We try to keep it updates. We remotely deploy the solution.

If a company has technical individuals and they understand networking and antivirus criminologies, the solution would be good for them. For a novice user it might be quite complicated. In my opinion, it doesn't really have straight forward Wizards or base templates. It's got a lot of room for configuration, which is in some ways is fantastic - if you are technical. If you're not technical, it's probably a bit complicated.

That said, there is documentation, and there are step by step guides, so a new user isn't completely blind going it. It's just more challenging.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. Aside from the fact that it could be easier to use, I have nothing bad to say about it.

Technical Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to manage, straightforward to implement, and offers good pricing
  • "The solution doesn't have high memory usage."
  • "In terms of management accounts, there's a lot of manuals that seem to be mixed up. Sometimes, it's a little bit confusing."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for the server.

How has it helped my organization?

This is an antivirus and network protection software. It mostly can protect our VMs and keeps our organizations safer.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to deploy.

You can manage the solution easily. I can get a lot of people on the central management console.

The pricing is okay.

It's very straightforward to use the product.

The solution doesn't have high memory usage.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any features that are missing. It's quite a complete solution.

We haven't looked too hard at the solution itself. I'm not sure of any aspects that are lacking. It provides all the functionality we need.

In terms of management accounts, there's a lot of manuals that seem to be mixed up. Sometimes, it's a little bit confusing.

At this point, I have been using the solution for a number of years.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't really dealt with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite reliable.

The solution can scale quite well. If a company needs to expand the solution, it can do so easily.

Currently, we have 100 servers that are benefiting from this product.

We're partners and therefore have a good relationship with technical support. They are responsive and knowledgeable. We're satisfied with the level of service the solution provides. I'd rate them ten out of ten.

We previously used Symantec. We switched due to the fact that it was too expensive. This product has similar features to Symantec, however, it costs much less.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. I would not describe it as complex.

What other advice do I have?

We're both a customer and a partner.

I am not sure of which version of the solution our organization is using at this time.

We use just the antivirus software. We don't need to pay a lot of attention to it.

Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten. It does everything we need it to do and it's easy to use.

September 2022
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Manager at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Useful secure browser, scalable, and price well
  • "The most valuable feature of ESET Protect is the security while accessing any transaction, such as online banking systems. When I access a banking website a new browser opens which is more secure, which I find very useful."
  • "ESET Protect could improve the performance. The performance of the home computers and laptops becomes slow due to their heavy software load. It would be a benefit to make a lighter version of the software which does not have any impact on the performance of the computer's hardware."

What is our primary use case?

We are mainly using ESET Protect for web filtering.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of ESET Protect is the security while accessing any transaction, such as online banking systems. When I access a banking website a new browser opens which is more secure, which I find very useful.

What needs improvement?

ESET Protect could improve the performance. The performance of the home computers and laptops becomes slow due to their heavy software load.  It would be a benefit to make a lighter version of the software which does not have any impact on the performance of the computer's hardware.

I have been using ESET Protect for approximately five years.

ESET Protect is a reliable solution in the time I have used it.

If you want to scale ESET Protect all you need to do is purchase more licenses.

I have not used the support from ESET Protect.

The initial setup of ESET Protect was straightforward. All you need to do is click next multiple times and then it is complete.

I rate the setup of ESET Protect a five out of five.

There is a license needed to use ESET Protect. The licensing cost is very low, it is approximately $10 per license.

I rate the price of ESET Protect a five out of five.

What other advice do I have?

I rate ESET Protect a ten out of ten.

Peter Geier - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of Business Development at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
High performance, light on resources, and highly effective scanning

What is our primary use case?

ESET File Security is used to provide access to files remotely and securely.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of ESET File Security are the performance and it doesn't take too many resources.

What needs improvement?

In the current version of ESET File Security, you cannot download a file, it always wants the real-time upload which you have to wait until the file is ready. This is annoying. In previous versions, you were able to use the downloaded engine.

I have been using ESET File Security for approximately ten years.

ESET File Security is reliable and stable. We had only one infection from a website, in the years of us using the solution. This was with approximately 20 people using the solution, it extremely effective.

We have approximately 20 people using ESET File Security in my organization.

I have not used technical support.

I have evaluated many other solutions similar to ESET File Security.

What other advice do I have?

I rate ESET File Security a ten out of ten.

Download our free Anti-Malware Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about ESET, Microsoft, Check Point, and more!
Updated: September 2022