Dell VxBlock System OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell VxBlock System is the #4 ranked solution in top Converged Infrastructure tools. PeerSpot users give Dell VxBlock System an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Dell VxBlock System is most commonly compared to Dell PowerEdge VRTX: Dell VxBlock System vs Dell PowerEdge VRTX. Dell VxBlock System is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 17% of all views.

Download the Converged Infrastructure Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Dell VxBlock System?

VxBlock and Vblock Systems simplify all aspects of IT and enable organizations to achieve better business outcomes faster. Seamlessly integrating enterprise-class compute, network, storage and virtualization technologies from industry leaders Cisco, Dell EMC, and VMware, VxBlock and Vblock Systems, powered by Intel Xeon processors, deliver the world's most advanced converged infrastructure: engineered, manufactured, managed, supported and sustained as one, allowing you to focus on your business.

The Dell EMC Converged Systems portfolio offers choice, flexibility, and reliability for accelerating IT transformation - VxBlock System offers additional levels of flexibility with a choice of network virtualization from VMware NSX or Cisco ACI.

Dell EMC VxBlock System Will Help You:

• Protect and consolidate your high-value workloads
  • Deliver cloud operations faster
  • Simplify life cycle management
  • Simplify operations
  • Modernize IT
  • Protect critical business data

With Dell EMC VxBlock System You Can:

• Automate key processes
  • Move to a VMware-based private or hybrid cloud model
  • Gain ongoing validation for technologies across the stack
  • Mix and match SAN/LAN switches, different storage arrays, blade and rack servers, and more
  • Reduce patching and upgrade efforts using a turnkey system

Dell EMC VxBlock System Features:

• Native data protection: Dell EMC’s data protection suite includes backup and recovery, centralized management, and replication.
  • Cisco C-Series servers: Dell EMC VxBlock System is now integrated with Cisco UCS C-Series rack servers, including the C220 and C240 in the M4 and M5 server lines.
  • Server scalability boost: You can increase server scalability by approximately 56%.
  • Storage mix: Dell EMC’s VxBlock System gives you the ability to mix four different types of storage arrays (Unity, VMAX, XtremIO, Isilon). It also includes multiple all-flash storage options (Unity 350F, 350F, 550F, 650F), and more.
  • Data center efficiency: The solution simplifies lifecycle assurance - which reduces time spent managing upgrades - and it can also reduce rack space and lower power costs.
  • Simpler RCM compliance: You will have simpler RCM compliance and your upgrades will feature an RCM dashboard showing the release level status of all components; You will also have access to RCM compliance score, RCM summary and detail reports, and RCM pre-positioning.
  • Deep CI context KPI metrics This feature includes capacity reporting and performance analytics with historical perspective.
  • Advanced, real-time CI-level alerting Dell EMC VxBlock System’s alerting feature includes operational state alerts, performance alerts, call home alerts, custom alerts and alert forwarding.

Dell EMC VxBlock System Benefits:

• Manage more efficiently
  • Reduce operational risk
  • Simplify upgrades and assure compliance
  • Focus more on added-value projects
  • Be more agile
  • Reduce OPEX
  • Proactively manage workload health
  • Improve capacity planning
  • Resolve incidents and problems faster

Reviews from Real Users:

“It's a highly optimized piece of equipment that doesn't give us any problems." - Architect at a manufacturing company

"It's at least 99 percent problem-free because it's factory-built. So from an informational point of view, everyone trusts that VxBlock has been tested well at the factory and has been configured to their requirements.” - General Manager, Enterprise Technical Solution at a tech services company

"The monitoring and management parts are the most valuable. Monitoring is specifically valuable because you have one console to monitor everything. This console is called Vision.” - Data center Manager at a financial services firm

Dell VxBlock System was previously known as VxBlock, VCE VxBlock System, Dell EMC VxBlock, VxBlock 1000.

Dell VxBlock System Customers

Atos, Canadian Pacific, IDS, City of Denton, CenturyLink, BNP Paribas, Asyaport, EDF, CSC, Fox Sports, Insight, Hunter, KPIT, Paetec, Rosetta Stone, Sonda, Switch, Xerox

Dell VxBlock System Video

Dell VxBlock System Reviews

General Manager -Enterprise Technical Solution at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
The core back-end is very racked
  • "It's at least 99 percent problem-free because it's factory-built. So from an informational point of view, everyone trusts that VxBlock has been tested well at the factory and has been configured to their requirements."
  • "The hardware lifecycle is not documented very well. For example, now you can buy a piece of equipment, but you don't know if the hardware is going to be a team production next month or next year."

What is our primary use case?

We use VxBlock mainly for the OLTP workload, so all online transaction processing and most of the daily transactional application servers system. So VxBlock can take care of all our call databases each year and covers most of the customers we have using that system. We also went ahead and connected the other systems like HPU on Twitch.

How has it helped my organization?

So we work with clients who have different environments. For example, IBM is running Oracle, and we have customers using that setup in the banking sector. And when they implemented VxBlock, they doubled the speed of their operations. A process that used to take eight hours now only requires four hours, so they're getting a return in terms of performance. Then there is the issue of business continuity. The tools embedded in VxBlock are much more racked and easier to manage than most of the other tools on the market.

What is most valuable?

Since VxBlock is built and configured at the factory, the core back-end is very racked. It's at least 99 percent problem-free because it's factory-built. So from an informational point of view, everyone trusts that VxBlock has been tested well at the factory and has been configured to their requirements. So the rest of the add-on connections are in the core, providing a good foundation in the backend for it to run on. It's very well designed.

What needs improvement?

I want to get more information from the vendors. The hardware lifecycle is not documented very well. For example, now you can buy a piece of equipment, but you don't know if the hardware will still be in production next month or next year. Most customers expect to run this hardware and still be supported for the next five years or so. I think the projections about the lifetime of the hardware and the systems need to be better documented.

November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, FlexPod and others in Converged Infrastructure. Updated: November 2022.
655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been working with VxBlock for maybe eight years now.

VxBlock is very stable.

VxBlock is highly scalable. We have many clients using it, and most of them are government agencies at the ministerial level, and they have thousands of users. For example, one customer has around 3,000 users. Another has 7,000 users now, and they're in the process of scaling up. So by next year, it'll be approximately 10,000 users. And that's just the primary users who are getting services directly. There are many more indirectly using VxBlock.

Support is straightforward because they have one single support entity. Different vendors supply the internal components, but the support is from one source. So that makes things simple.

As I mentioned, VxBlock is part of a more extensive system, and it is one of the fastest solutions. However, we still deploy some of their competitors depending on the customer requirements. Some other solutions are designed to work specifically for Oracle databases, whereas VxBlock is heterogeneous. It can take any workload.

The initial setup is done at the factory. It comes pre-built, and onsite integration is plug-and-play. Irrespective of the hardware environment, it takes no more than two days per site. It takes about one or two people to deploy VxBlock. Since we are integrators, we do most of the pre-planning for the implementation. This entails making sure the environment is ready to receive and start using the equipment. So we ensure everything meets the criteria and is prepared for deployment. We spend more time on planning than implementation. If you take the time to develop a perfect plan, your deployment will be smooth.

The cost of the license varies based on the kind of software and the components you are using. It's a subscription mainly for the software that runs on the VxBlock hardware. If the software says that the subscription has expired, then you have to renew it. So basically, if the customer is running Oracle, they have to renew Oracle, but they have to renew VMware subscription licenses if they're running VMware. So the cost is dependent on that. We have customers running VMware, Microsoft, etc. So it varies from customer to customer.

What other advice do I have?

I rate VxBlock nine out of 10. If you're thinking about implementing VxBlock, you need to have the right team. You need someone who understands the differences in hardware rather than someone who specializes in a particular product. So you should have a person on your team with a comprehensive understanding of the hardware. Also, some countries might be out of the service area for most vendors. In that case, you should have a contingency plan if you need a hardware replacement. It can take a long time to deliver your parts if the vendor has no presence in that region.

Senior System Administrator at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Very stable, good performance, but needs a single management console, clear process for upgrades and scaling, and better support
  • "Its performance is very good."
  • "It is a good product, but for us, it is like a black box. We are not really sure about its internal components, and how to do the terminal upgrade, and how to make sure about the security of the device. We understand how it works, but in order to do the upgrades, we have to get help from the company. We cannot do it ourselves. In another model that we had, the internal team could do the upgrade but not in this one. There is no clear process for a new upgrade or update. They should provide a software intelligence tool that has a dashboard where you can see the current firmware, the latest firmware, and the documentation and the process for the upgrade. For VxBlock, we have different management consoles. There is no single management console that you can use to manage all components inside VxBlock. Their scale up and scale out process is also not clear. Their support is also a little bit slow in responding to the cases."

What is most valuable?

Its performance is very good.

What needs improvement?

It is a good product, but for us, it is like a black box. We are not really sure about its internal components, and how to do the terminal upgrade, and how to make sure about the security of the device. We understand how it works, but in order to do the upgrades, we have to get help from the company. We cannot do it ourselves. In another model that we had, the internal team could do the upgrade but not in this one. There is no clear process for a new upgrade or update. They should provide a software intelligence tool that has a dashboard where you can see the current firmware, the latest firmware, and the documentation and the process for the upgrade.

For VxBlock, we have different management consoles. There is no single management console that you can use to manage all components inside VxBlock. Their scale up and scale out process is also not clear. Their support is also a little bit slow in responding to the cases.

We have been using this solution for six to eight months.

It is very stable.

It is easy to scale, but we didn't try scaling it.

I don't have much experience with them, but they are a little bit slow in responding to the cases. In Saudi Arabia, the support for Dell EMC is not that good. Their support should be faster.

We have tried hyper-converged infrastructure from Nutanix. I prefer Nutanix because you can scale it very easily. The upgrades and updates are very simple. Their support is also great. We have very good experience with their support.

It is a little bit complex because we are using Epic EMR in our main core application.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Dell EMC VxBlock System a seven out of ten. It is a good product, but their support is not that good. Support is one of the main factors based on which we evaluate a product.

November 2022
655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Data Warehouse Manager at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
Offers great flexibility, security and speed

What is our primary use case?

I work at a university and this solution is a series of database servers that we build and maintain for the university's reporting needs. I'm a data warehouse manager and we are customers of Dell.

What is most valuable?

There are several valuable features in this product. It offers flexibility, security and speed.

What needs improvement?

The solution lacks some flexibility with third-party applications.

I've been using this solution for 18 years.

The solution is relatively stable.

The solution is scalable, we have around 10 people dealing with the system, four of whom are admins.

We've only had to raise a couple of cases with technical support and the response time was adequate.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution seven out of 10.

Download our free Converged Infrastructure Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, FlexPod, and more!
Updated: November 2022