Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

CloudHealth OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

CloudHealth is #4 ranked solution in top Cloud Cost Management tools and #11 ranked solution in top Cloud Management tools. PeerSpot users give CloudHealth an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. CloudHealth is most commonly compared to Cloudability: CloudHealth vs Cloudability. CloudHealth is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
CloudHealth Buyer's Guide

Download the CloudHealth Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is CloudHealth?

CloudHealth provides hybrid cloud management software designed to help organizations increase their visibility across public and private cloud infrastructure. The CloudHealth platform helps IT teams manage resources and costs across cloud environments.

Key Features of CloudHealth

The main features of CloudHealth’s platform include:

• Collecting data: The tool automatically collects and correlates data from your organization's cloud.
  • Reporting and analysis: Your IT team can visualize and analyze collected data via custom reports and a central dashboard so you can monitor performance.
  • Cost management: The platform allows you to monitor the costs of cloud computing resources so you can identify which user category spends the most.
  • Governance and security: CloudHealth provides IT governance, automation, policy management, and authorization. A high level of governance helps keep your business compliant. There are several security tools included, like role-based access controls. The platform integrates with public cloud providers' security and monitoring tools.
  • Integrations: The system integrates well with public cloud platforms such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform.

Besides cloud management, CloudHealth delivers features to help with public cloud migration. For example, the platform enables you to calculate the total cost of ownership of a cloud deployment. You can identify which workloads you’ll move to the cloud first based on application dependencies.

Service Tiers

There are several editions of the service:

• CloudHealth advanced is geared for organizations that are still growing their cloud investment or haven’t achieved cloud management maturity yet in their journey.
  • CloudHealth enterprise is geared for organizations that are advanced in their cloud transportation. This edition includes advanced capabilities.
  • Cloud Enterprise plus is geared for organizations building a cloud center of excellence and requiring simplified financial management and streamlined operations.

Benefits of CloudHealth

• Simplifies financial management

You can report spending by cost center. This will drive financial accountability, thus lowering your cloud spending. It gives you visibility over who is using your cloud, with what device, and from where. It offers granular visibility into the public or hybrid cloud, monitoring cloud usage by line of business.

• Streamline operations

You can create custom policies to automate daily cloud operations. This reduces risk and accelerates decision-making. The granular visibility enables continuous monitoring of cloud usage and analysis of performance, resulting in more accurate capacity planning. It reduces risk and accelerates decision-making, identifying opportunities to increase cloud usage efficiency and reduce spending.

The CloudHealth platform improves resource utilization with custom rightsizing recommendations for your workloads. You can track performance and compare it with your provisioned capacity, thus optimizing your assets.

• Enhances security and compliance

CloudHealth empowers your cloud’s security posture with real-time visibility. You can detect misconfigurations based on security rules and custom policies. The platform enables you to prioritize issues based on quantitative risk scores and gives you visual context to investigate and remediate issues quickly. CloudHealth continuously tracks compliance scores with real-time detection audits. There is automated reporting for frameworks such as SOC 2, HIPAA, GDPR, and PCI. CloudHealth integrates with SIEM systems to provide visibility for security operations teams. The system can ingest data from cloud-native threat feeds, raise immediate alerts, correlate threats, and investigate issues.

Reviews from Real Users

Lorna L., Product Manager at a comms service provider, says, "We are able to create an internal price of the product that we can then sell to clients. We get the cost plan at a good discount and then resell it with a mark up to our enterprise-level clients. This flexibility in pricing is one of the solution's best features."

"The thing that CloudHealth does well is billing,” adds Mike S., DevSecOps Engineer at Cloudstronaut LLC.

A Director Cloud Program & Platform Strategy at Zones, Inc states that "The solution is good for cloud cost management."

CloudHealth Customers

Pinterest, Dow Jones, RhythmOne, Ziff Davis, Acquia, Mentor Graphics, Lookout, Veracode, SwiftKey, Amtrak, Shi, Imgur, SumoLogic, NewsUK, Cloudera, Canvas

CloudHealth Video

CloudHealth Pricing Advice

What users are saying about CloudHealth pricing:
"CloudHealth has a subscription-based model."

CloudHealth Reviews

Director Cloud Program & Platform Strategy at Zones, Inc. at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Very good technical support with good IaaS capabilities but needs more visibility on SaaS
  • "The solution is good for cloud cost management."
  • "CloudHealth needs to start building out Turbonomics-types of features that help the customers who are using CloudHealth really understand everything down to the server level, the virtual machine level."

What is most valuable?

Technical support is very good.

The solution is very good as an infrastructure as a service.

The product offers very good visibility.

The solution is good for cloud cost management.

What needs improvement?

CloudHealth needs to start building out Turbonomic-types of features that help the customers who are using CloudHealth really understand everything down to the server level, the virtual machine level. They need to be able to illustrate the performance of the machine. As a customer, I want to be able to log into one tool and be able to look all the way down to a virtual machine that's running in Azure or AWS and see, is it running at 80% utilization or 20%? If it's only running 20% utilization, well, maybe I should move that workload off of that machine and combine it with another machine and remove that machine, therefore lowering my overall Azure spend as I've just eliminated a server. However, I need that insight in order to make that call.

Oftentimes, when you look at multiple application layers, if you can identify six or eight or ten different servers that are just underutilized and can eliminate them from your fleet, well, you just dropped your Azure bill by a thousand dollars a week. The savings they could offer clients could be quite substantial. However, CloudHealth doesn't have that capability. They can't reach down to that level right now. That's why you've got to bring in Turbonomic. They can reach in at that virtual machine level to tell me if the machine is being truly utilized. I'd be able to understand if I should go ahead and eliminate it from my fleet.

If I took the remediation recommendations from Turbonomic, and I implemented that into my Azure environment, and then came back and analyzed it from CloudHealth, well, now I could see that that overall Azure spend has dropped by 10%. However, ideally, CloudHealth should have those tools built-in just to help me optimize my fleet on the fly. And then I should see that cost justification.

CloudHealth could expand into is the SaaS side of it. Right now, CloudHealth is primarily focused on the infrastructure as a service players and is helping to analyze, how the infrastructure as a service virtual environment maps to the customers, to the needs. The opportunity that CloudHealth has is if you're talking to somebody about their public cloud spend, oftentimes the customer thinks of that as not just the infrastructure as a service, but they also look at that from a software as a service. One of the biggest challenges that we also see in the enterprise accounts that we work with is the SaaS sprawl is almost out of control. It's as bad as the infrastructure as a service sprawl, where people are given the credentials to their Azure tenant, and now they're spitting out virtual machines for all kinds of stuff.

Unless you really have better visibility and control in that, you just don't know what's going on until you get the bill. The same problem is happening in the SaaS side where, if you have 500 employees, traditionally that company goes out and buys Office 365 times 500, and they just give everybody the same thing. At the end of the day, maybe everybody doesn't need an Office 365 E5 plan. Maybe a third of the company needs E5, a third could get by with E3 and a third could get by with E1. If you optimize that Office 365 footprint, along with all of the other SaaS applications that you may be attaching to that Office 365, like Trend Micro for security, or Metallic for backup, there is more money to be saved.

Right now, CloudHealth doesn't give me any visibility into that SaaS side of the model. They give me a view into the infrastructure as a service side and the cost analytics and reporting. If I could use that one toolset that not only helps me optimize my infrastructure as a service and also have visibility across my SaaS environment, to me that would be the ideal situation. That way, I've got one platform, one toolset that helps me manage my cloud spend across SaaS and IaaS. Right now, for the tools that are out there, it's either IaaS or SaaS. And there's not a lot of players in the SaaS management space at this point, there are only four or five companies that I'm aware of.

We became a reseller about a year or so ago. We've been dealing with it for a while.

We've actually had to engage with technical support a few different times. Whether it's just configuring customer accounts correctly or troubleshooting, it's always been very good. There was a little bit of a hiccup during the transition when VMware was acquiring CloudHealth where I think there were just some of the procedural and operational processes where we had some account managers change.

When we reached out to the technical account manager that we were assigned at the time, he had been shuffled around a bit. We were routed from one person to another and had to keep getting people up to speed. However, that got ironed out.

CloudHealth
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about CloudHealth. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The ones that I have been personally using are CloudHealth and CloudCheckr, however, those are more around the cloud cost analytics, the cloud cost management. Those companies are starting to, change a bit. You've got Turbonomic and companies like that, that are coming from the on-prem asset level up, where you would use Turbonomics to crawl internal VMware infrastructure types of environments and tag specific applications. Let's say that I'm trying to think of how I'm going to migrate my marketing application from my on-prem environment to the cloud. That marketing application is built at three tiers. You've got a web tier, an application tier, and a database tier. That's multiple servers, multiple layers of applications. How do you analyze what that footprint looks like so I can make a fair approach to what I'm going to need in an Azure or an AWS cloud environment to move that application?

Turbonomic has approached it from that perspective where they come in and they ask questions such as how many IOPS is that application consuming? What's the performance of the servers at a CPU and storage and a memory level, so that they can actually map that into equivalent Amazon EC2 servers or Azure servers of sizes of X, Y, or Z.

That's where Turbonomic has really approached it from that kind of foundational infrastructure up whereas a CloudHealth or a CloudCheckr have approached it more from an application already being in the cloud and drilling down to costs.

Now we're trying to figure out how to optimize that footprint. What I'm seeing is both those types of companies are starting to meet in the middle where Turbonomic is now starting to add features around cloud cost management and CloudHealth is starting to get down into the Turbonomic side of assessment of what you're trying to move to the cloud.

I can start to see the melding of that space over time, where there are more and more of these on-prem application performance management APS-type of applications. They are starting to bleed up into the cloud and the cloud and cloud applications are starting to bleed down that on-prem world.

What other advice do I have?

We're a reseller. There are two different models. We're a reseller of CloudHealth. We're a reseller of Dell. We're a reseller of VMware. We also use those products internally.

We use it daily. It's one of our core tools within our Zones Cloud Platforms tool bag, when we're looking at how we help customers optimize their cloud spend across their Azure and AWS environments today.

It's a cloud-native application.

In terms of CloudHealth, I have not dug underneath the covers as to where do they actually host it. CloudHealth just got bought by VMware about six or eight months ago, or maybe almost a year ago now. I'm pretty sure that they built on a public cloud. I'm just not sure which public cloud they actually built it on.

I would advise new users to get a demo, take a look at it, dig into some of the analytics and the reporting. It's really one of those tools that you'd need to have hands-on time with. You can go through the presentations, you can look at the high level, but you really need to have a public account, an AWS account, a Google account, an Amazon account, and then tie that to your CloudHealth environment during the demo, or during your proof of concept. When you test, you can make changes in your environment and see how it replicates and how CloudHealth presents that data back to you. That real-time reviewing and seeing the cause and the effect is what really helps you understand what the platform can do. And it helps you have a better understanding of its features and capabilities and how in-depth the reporting and the analytics are compared to a CloudCheckr or other third-party applications that are out there.

The last piece I'd also throw out there is that one of the biggest challenges I think that people are having right now, when it comes to a CloudHealth or a cloud cost analytics product, is that most of the independents have been acquired. There was a product called Cloudyn. That got bought by Microsoft. Now Cloudyn's baked into Azure in what they call Azure Cost Management. Google's acquired a couple of companies over the years, and they have their Google Cloud Cost Management and multi-cloud orchestration and all this fun stuff. CloudHealth got bought by VMware. CloudCheckr is one of the only ones that's still independent in that cloud cost management space. Outside of that, there's some smaller niche players, however, it's getting hard to find an independent. You pretty much have to go and buy one of these products from VMware.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

If they can start to improve how they work across other SaaS applications - not just infrastructure as a service - they would get higher marks. If I rated them just from an infrastructure as a service play, I'd probably put them at a nine or a 9.5 simply due to the fact that they do a really, really good job in that space. However, it's a bit of a niche. It's an important niche and it really is helpful in that specific spot, however, it leaves me having to want to find another tool to do the other half of the job and where ideally if it was one tool, I'd take that eight up to a nine and a half. As it is, right now, I rate it as an eight as it doesn't give me all of that features. I have to use multiple tools to get the end result I'm looking for.

DevSecOps Engineer at Cloudstronaut LLC
Allows us to create customized rules but isn't suitable for threat and vulnerability management
  • "The thing that CloudHealth does well is billing. It does really well on the billing part."
  • "I think the dashboards could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

CloudHealth is more of a cloud configuration management tool. It ingests and has a read-only account to our AWS or Azure GCP — it's similar to AWS configuration. It configures rules based on AWS best practices or CIS or PCI. It meets all of our APIs in regard to configuration data. It gives them a pass or fail rating and details their severity level. We don't necessarily need to watch it because it takes all of the rules that we're piping to the security hub in AWS. It has a custom rule component where we can create custom rules in AWS config. We can also create custom rules in Cloud Custodian, which is what we prefer for creating custom rules. CloudHealth has some built-in rules, which I think are just based on AWS and CIS, and then it checks for open ports, which is also a good feature.

What is most valuable?

The thing that CloudHealth does well is billing. It does really well on the billing part. It looks like it does a better job than some other tools that we have used for billing in the past. It has a nice dashboard, but the dashboard that we have now doesn't include the compliance checkpoint. I think that's another separate product that they offer that allows you to take the compliance metrics and act around them.

We have billing dashboards, but I know that they also have a compliance dashboard, but we are back to pulling all of the notification data from our policies, manually. It just seems like a redundant product for us because we can do cloud configuration in cloud security management with Flatstack or with Security Hub. It doesn't do threat and vulnerability management well. I guess you could build the rules off of that and consider that threat and vulnerability management, but it feels like our configurations are not configured correctly. They have a vulnerability issue.

What needs improvement?

They should improve some of their custom rule creation capabilities and make it easier to create custom rules. I think the dashboards could be improved. They could have better compliance and security dashboards. That would probably make it look better because currently, it's kind of a fast dashboard. It's a nice, slick-looking dashboard, but it's kind of confusing because of the tabs — security and policy are in different tabs. There is a recommendations tab with security and policy, and also a security tab with other policies in it. There is also a separate tab for governance. We have security in each of those tabs but that doesn't really make sense. It's not really intuitive to have those tabs like that.

In short, it could have easier tabs, better dashboards, and better custom rule creation capabilities.

Other tools out there that I've used, including Divvycloud, Lacework, and Prisma, have features for remediating issues that come up. Still, some tools like Prisma, don't have all of the APIs that are needed. I don't understand why they can't just have all the APIs when the native product can.

Stability-wise, it's good.

I have communicated with technical support through emails. The tech support is good, but it's not the best. It's definitely not like Flatstack where I have direct communication with a direct faculty person or a direct customer support person.

It comes with clear directions on how to set it up. The integration is pretty smooth. It could just be more intuitive in terms of the UI setup.

There are similar products out there that have a high ramp-up time. They can take weeks or months to ramp-up. CloudHealth allows users to easily understand how to create custom rules.

I don't deal with the licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. It works, it's a good tool. If you don't have other CCM tools for classification or classificatory practice, then I think it's a good product. I definitely recommend working with the support team to understand the templates. It seems like they have good templates for ADS best practices and CIS.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of six.

CloudHealth
September 2022
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Delivery Manager at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to set up with good cost and performance optimization
  • "The pricing is rather competitive right now."
  • "The performance and accuracy of Cloud Health need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily, the end-user gets a perspective of their cloud usage and up-to-date billing. That's one use case.

On top of that, there are multiple reports which I use daily, to track usage or to lay out performance optimization and cost optimization.

What is most valuable?

The cost and performance optimization reports are the most valuable aspect of the solution.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The solution can scale.

We find the product to be stable.

The pricing is rather competitive right now.

What needs improvement?

The performance and accuracy of Cloud Health need to be improved. Right now, the data is not very accurate. We have to always validate it with some other data. Accuracy is something that is very important to us, especially in terms of cost management.

Sometimes the tools aren't as responsive as I would like. they are occasionally slow. Sometimes it takes ten seconds to load the tools.

Technical support could be better.

I'd prefer it if the solution was a bit cheaper.

I've used the solution for the last two years or so. It's been a while now.

The product is a stable product. While the data itself is not yet accurate, and we have to always look at and validate the data, the solution does give good information sometimes.

The solution is very easy to scale.

We have about 20 people that work with the solution in our organization.

Technical support isn't as good as I would like it to be. They need faster response times and they need to provide more qualified personnel.

I also have experience with Central ITCS, which I've used for a few months.

Both the products have a good amount of features and functionality. Which is better depends upon what kind of usage your end customer needs. For example, if I'm a startup and I'm not interested in a lot of features, CloudHealth is a good option. If I'm only interested in a couple of features, then I may go with Central ITCS.

The initial setup is a simple process. For any technical person, if the steps are provided, it's very easy. There isn't too much complexity involved.

Maintenance is not a big concern for the end-users as it is a cloud-based service. Updates, for example, happen automatically and any new features, et cetera, are announced ahead of time.

There is a technical team member associated with this product, and they really have helped us with the onboarding process.

There are no additional costs beyond the standard licensing fee. The pricing, overall, is pretty reasonable.

I have compared the solution to other products. I would say that Cloud Health has tremendous scope, and is on many clouds, including Google Cloud, Amazon, AWS, and Azure. It may even be on Oracle soon. Its scope is great and it's a very adaptable solution. It employs its features more effectively than other options in the market.

What other advice do I have?

We're an end-user of the product.

We are using the latest version of this solution.

I would recommend this product for people who are more established in this cloud business and would like to help their end customers in optimizing for faster performance.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

SaniyaJeswani - PeerSpot reviewer
Finance consultant at Accenture
Useful for Cloud transparency and visability
  • "The solution is useful for cloud transparency and visibility in reports and dashboards that I have generated, especially the pre-populated dashboards."
  • "I would like to see better integration from CloudHealth to create easier setup and implementation."

What is our primary use case?

I am using CloudHealth for my data and different operational activities. The solution creates reports for different projects. It provides understanding and transparency into the cloud costs. I get the costs at 4,000 aggregate and at the resource ID level. CloudHealth also provides analysis of the transfer service per account.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better integration from CloudHealth to create an easier setup and implementation.

I have been using CloudHealth since 2022.

The solution is stable.

I have not faced any challenges with scalability of CloudHealth.

The initial setup of CloudHealth is a medium level of difficulty. It is API integrated. It is still easier when compared to other solutions, but still challenging to get access to because you need to collaborate with multiple teams within the organization.

Deployment is one click because CloudHealth is on the cloud. Once you have collected all the information required for integration, it is a one-click solution.

CloudHealth has a subscription-based model.

What other advice do I have?

CloudHealth is VMware and has a good product team. The features keep growing. They have even included GCP. As far as a feature and product solution, it is one of the most widely used CNPs, I believe, after Apptio Cloudability.

Also, because the solution is with VMware, most GSIs are already partnered with VMware, so you get support.

I rate the solution an eight and a half out of ten overall.

Software Architect at Experian
Produces cost reports that help us to optimize our costs
  • "It's stable. For report presentation, it's been fast."
  • "The Perspectives feature could be better."

What is our primary use case?

The use case is to produce a cost report for us so that we can optimize costs.

This solution is deployed on a public cloud.

What needs improvement?

The Perspectives feature could be better. I would like to have more automation and flexibility to put in data and react to a certain event. Right now, it's very rigid if you design a report in a certain way, and there are cross-restrictions.

I'd like some API, but we have found that there are still limitations.

We've been using this solution for two years.

It's stable. For report presentation, it's been fast. Sometimes there are unexpected errors.

It's scalable. So far, we have used it on multiple accounts. It's quite easy.

Technical support is good and has been responsive.

I would rate then 4 out of 5.

Compared to AWS, the historic data on CloudHealth is a lot more helpful. From the AWS perspective, I think the historic data is not able to give us the full set of data. It would make a difference if we could automate the reports when we wanted to.

Setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 9 out of 10.

I would recommend CloudHealth, but I think AWS and other solutions are catching up.

Download our free CloudHealth Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022