Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Cloudflare Web Application Firewall OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cloudflare Web Application Firewall is #13 ranked solution in top Web Application Firewalls. PeerSpot users give Cloudflare Web Application Firewall an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Cloudflare Web Application Firewall is most commonly compared to AWS WAF: Cloudflare Web Application Firewall vs AWS WAF. Cloudflare Web Application Firewall is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 50% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Web Application Firewall (WAF) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Cloudflare Web Application Firewall?

Cloudflare Web Application Firewall's intuitive dashboard enables users to build powerful rules through easy clicks and also provides Terraform integration. Every request to the WAF is inspected against the rule engine and the threat intelligence curated from protecting over 27 Million websites. Suspicious requests can be blocked, challenged or logged as per the needs of the user while legitimate requests are routed to the destination, agnostic of whether it lives on-premise or in the cloud. Analytics and Cloudflare Logs enable visibility into actionable metrics for the user.

Cloudflare Web Application Firewall was previously known as Cloudflare WAF.

Cloudflare Web Application Firewall Customers
crunchbase, udacity, marketo, okcupid, zendesk
Cloudflare Web Application Firewall Video

Cloudflare Web Application Firewall Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cloudflare Web Application Firewall pricing:
  • "We pay $210 per month for CloudFlare WAF."
  • "The annual licensing fee is $10,000 USD."
  • Cloudflare Web Application Firewall Reviews

Director of Platform and Information Security at a computer software company with 1-10 employees
    A scalable multi-cloud holistic security solution with a valuable OWASP security feature
    • "The security features are valuable. The particular feature we use is called OWASP."
    • "Their documentation could be better. They don't have documentation that explains everything well. They have documentation for everything you're looking for, but they lack a single piece of documentation to tie everything together. As a new user or beginner, it took us a little bit of time to figure out how to put all these things in place."

What is our primary use case?

As the name suggests, it's a web application firewall. You use it almost like a firewall in front of a web application. It helps filter out the bad traffic or the Layer 7 malicious traffic.

What is most valuable?

Cloudflare provides packaged OWASP rulesets and Cloudflared managed rulesets. Cloudflare provides weekly scheduled rule updates or emergency rule updates. Both rulesets seem very accurate, does not generate much false positives. Before the deployment, I was concerned about how many false positives I have to deal with daily. Very glad the WAF rulesets works out of box, and requires very little tuning or maintenance.

What needs improvement?

Their documentation could be better. They don't have documentation that explains everything well. They have documentation for everything you're looking for, but they lack a single piece of documentation to tie everything together. As a new user or beginner, it took us a little bit of time to figure out how to put all these things in place. I wish they had easier introduction documents written to help us transition into it. It takes a little bit of effort for a new user to figure out how to do this.

I have asked them for some additional features. I want to be able to quickly find out the rules that I have modified because there are thousands of rules. It took a little bit of effort to figure out which rules I have modified. A feature like that will make it easier for me to track down the changes.

I have been using CloudFlare WAF for a few months.

Web Application Firewall (WAF)
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Cloudflare, Amazon, Microsoft and others in Web Application Firewall (WAF). Updated: September 2022.
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

CloudFlare WAF is a stable solution. Once you figure out how to set it up and get it running, it's beautiful.

Scalability is wonderful. It's very easy to scale, and this is the primary reason for selecting it. After all, the software is a service. There's no problem when it comes to scaling.

Tech support is solid. No issues there.

The initial setup is a little bit tricky because of poor documentation. Their modeling steers you more towards the enterprise tier. When you pay for the enterprise tier, you can have engineers work directly with you to guide you and help you set it up. But if you just try to do it by yourself, that's when you'll face some difficulty.

We implemented this solution by ourselves.

We pay $210 per month for CloudFlare WAF.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that once you figured out that initial part, it's straightforward. I would suggest that they look at what they need and compare the costs and management costs. There are various WAFs out there, but it really comes down to comparing the cost and how much effort it takes to deploy it and manage them.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give CloudFlare WAF a solid eight.

Olawale Komolafe - PeerSpot reviewer
    SOC Analyst at Paystack Inc
    Successfully prevents web application attacks, SQL injections, and cross-site scripting attacks
    • "Does a good job preventing web application attacks."
    • "The reporting could be more granular."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case of this solution is to secure our web applications hosted on Cloudflare. I'm a security operations analyst and we are customers of Cloudflare.

What is most valuable?

This solution does a good job of preventing web application attacks, SQL injections, and cross-site scripting attacks. We know it's doing a good job because we've tested it.

What needs improvement?

The reporting could be improved if it were more granular. Fortigate Firewall, for example, shows all the events at a glance with different fields on a table; you can scroll through for patterns and look at all events. That's not possible with CloudFlare where I need to analyze a report that summarizes all the data. It requires exporting the report as a CSV file, analyzing it in Excel, and then going into CloudFlare to carry out a deeper analysis. If I could do that high-level analysis from the web console and then drill down specific events, it would be a great feature that would improve this product.

I've been using this solution for seven months.

The solution is stable, we haven't had any downtime.

The solution is easily scalable.

I previously used Imperva Web Application Firewall. For tracking metrics, I think CloudFlare does a better job with its graphs and the user interface. Its web console presents those metrics in an easily readable manner and it does that better than Incapsula or Imperva. I think Imperva speaks more to security, and preventing attacks and is more focused on details about the attacks. CloudFlare does more because it shows your availability metrics, traffic metrics, and security metrics. In terms of the user interface, I'd say that CloudFlare does a better job in reporting.

There is some maintenance required when it comes to updates and we periodically have to review the rules sets which require going into the list of rules and finding those connected to that particular view and then enabling them in your environment. We have three admins working on this product. We use the solution on a daily basis.

What other advice do I have?

If you're going to be reporting heavily and want to leverage the reporting features to measure the performance of your websites, then CloudFlare does that very well.

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Web Application Firewall (WAF)
    September 2022
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Chief Information Officer at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
    Reasonably priced with a straightforward setup and the ability to scale
    • "Technical support has a very fast response time and they are helpful."
    • "It would be ideal if the solution offered better log integration and more integration with different platforms."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an application firewall.

What is most valuable?

In general, it's a very good product.

The solution is very stable. The performance is great.

The product offers very good scalability.

The pricing is very reasonable.

The installation is very straightforward. It's quite simple.

Technical support has a very fast response time and they are helpful.

We never had any issues with the analytics, dashboards, or monitoring.

What needs improvement?

I can't recall dealing with features that were not sufficient. It's very good.

I've been using the solution for about a year and a half at this point. It's been a while.

The performance of the solution is very good. It's very stable. The product doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's reliable.

The solution can scale quite well. If a company needs to expand the product, it can do so with relative ease.

I am unsure as to if the company plans to increase usage, as I used it primarily at my previous organization. I've since moved on.

Technical support is very good. They are very helpful and responsive. We've been quite satisfied with the level of support they provide to our organization.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not complex or overly difficult. We found it quite simple to execute. A company should be able to handle the process easily.

We only required two individuals for deployment and maintenance. They were a manager and an admin.

I'm pretty satisfied with the solution in terms of the pricing. It's reasonable. I have no complaints.

Before the organizations chose this solution, it's my understanding that it did not evaluate any other options.

What other advice do I have?

We always have the latest version of the solution. As a cloud deployment, it's always updating to the latest version.

We're a Cloudflare partner.

I'd rate the product at a nine out of ten overall. We've been quite pleased with the overall capabilities of the solution.

I would recommend the solution to other users and companies.

Senior Security Consultant at Reliance Industries Ltd
    Secure, reliable, reasonably priced, and has helpful technical support
    • "The Cloudflare Web Application Firewall's most valuable feature is its ease of configuration."
    • "The accuracy of the Cloudflare Web Application Firewall could be improved by reducing the number of false-negative alerts."

What is our primary use case?

Cloudflare Web Application Firewall is used to protect the web servers.

What needs improvement?

Signature-based detection and data loss prevention could also be improved.

I have been working with Cloudflare Web Application Firewall for one year.

Cloudflare Web Application Firewall is a stable solution.

I am not familiar with the scalability of this solution,

We have 20 people in our organization who are using this solution.

I have not had any issues with the technical support of the Cloudflare Web Application Firewall.

Local support is available.

The initial setup is straightforward, it is easy.

It took four hours to deploy this solution.

It is less expensive than its competitors.

The annual licensing fee is $10,000 USD.

What other advice do I have?

I have not had any issues with this solution, and I would recommend it to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Cloudflare Web Application Firewall a nine out of ten.

We are partners with Cisco.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Download our free Web Application Firewall (WAF) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Cloudflare, Amazon, Microsoft, and more!
    Updated: September 2022