IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Clarity SM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Clarity SM is #12 ranked solution in top IT Service Management (ITSM) tools and #14 ranked solution in top Help Desk Software. PeerSpot users give Clarity SM an average rating of 7.2 out of 10. Clarity SM is most commonly compared to ServiceNow: Clarity SM vs ServiceNow. Clarity SM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 34% of all views.
Clarity SM Buyer's Guide

Download the Clarity SM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Clarity SM?

Service desk capabilities, an integral part of the CA Service Management solution, can enable you to deliver efficiencies in IT service management to business consumers, power users and decision makers. Mobility and collaborative self-service capabilities provide a modern user experience for accessing services and performing tasks, which can help drive user adoption, satisfaction and productivity.

Learn More: https://www.ca.com/us/products...

Clarity SM was previously known as CA Service Desk Manager, Clarity Service Management, CA Service Management, Unicenter Service Desk, CA SDM, CA Service Catalog, CA Business Service Insight.

Clarity SM Customers

Banco G&T Continental City of Perth, FEMSA, Fujitsu, Manpower, Muslim Commercial Bank - MCB, Punjab National Bank, Santa Clara County Social Services, Stefanini

Clarity SM Video

Clarity SM Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Clarity SM pricing:
  • "Clarity offers a perpetual license. Customers purchase the license once and then pay for maintenance. CA provides a subscription model as well. Both models are available for our customers."
  • "There is a subscripted needed to use Clarity SM. The price of the solution could be less expensive. ServiceNow is less expensive and BMC Helix is priced similar to Clarity SM."
  • Clarity SM Reviews

Makhosonke-Matshoba - PeerSpot reviewer
    ESM Specialist at Gijima
    Saves us time and money with a great self-service interface
    • "Self-service interface means people can check their own tickets."
    • "It doesn't yet have the ability to integrate with other products."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution primarily for call logging and checking, but we also use it with other products that are related to CA. It's mainly for monitoring and event management from the infrastructure management perspective which integrates or interfaces into CA SDM for ticket logging. We also use it to check the SLA using what is referred to as the embedded service desk. We're about to introduce service catalog. It's one of the CA products that integrate nicely with it so we'll be using the new features of self-service and the xFlow engine. I'm an ITSM specialist and we have a partnership with Clarity SM.

How has it helped my organization?

From a cost perspective, we don't have a very big service desk. We have many service agents because there's a facility that allows people to log onto the system and raise their own tickets. It saves people from having to wait for the service desk. From the company perspective, it saves us resources in the service desk. From a cost perspective, it counts. The fact that xFlow has got the self-service that's linked to knowledge management, means people are also able to solve their own problems without necessarily requiring tickets through the entire life cycle of second line support. From a quick resolution point of view, that has helped a lot.

What is most valuable?

I like the self-service interface and the fact that people can raise and check their own tickets without necessarily having to call the service desk. They can check progress on their tickets and also have input in the life cycle of the tickets. That's one feature that I think I like most.

We are running a high availability deployment now and I like the architecture because it makes it easy from a maintenance point of view. You hardly have any downtime because of high availability. You just move your servers across to a secondary or primary environment, do your maintenance and bring it back without users even noticing. The nice thing is the feed into the inventory and discovery solutions that work so well. You keep your discovery data somewhere and you verify it before you bring it over to CA SDM.

What needs improvement?

We would love to see it integrating with other products like Splunk for log collection, integration to SMS facilities. It requires some effort for developers to get some of the things working because there aren't readily available APIs to interface with those. I'd really like to see Clarity more open to other products for purposes of integration.

Clarity SM
    August 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Clarity SM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
    620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using this solution for the past 15 years, before it was renamed Clarity.

We had some stability issues with earlier versions. Everything now runs on Windows and Microsoft products so it's much more stable.

The scalability is quite good. We are able to easily accommodate hundreds of analysts that that use the system simultaneously without any performance issues. You can increase it to thousands of users and easily incorporate other clients into the platform without really having to do a lot of work.

Our environment currently has about 450 analysts and 30,000 self-service employees. That means 30,000 people logging onto the system. In terms of USA, the number of employees that could be logged in at the same time at any given time could be around 500. But in total, we are servicing about 30,000 people who are using their self-service facility. The system has been able to handle that load without problems.

We plan to onboard all the new clients in their new CA Service Desk solution and we plan to increase usage in the future.

They have 24-hour support and we have access to support from several countries around the world including South Africa. We know some of the support people because we've had a relationship with CA support for many, many years. They're what we call sustained engineering support. That's the kind of support that requires looking into the code of the application. Most of the issues are mainly troubleshooting issues around technical aspects here and there. We'll know when we go live if there's a problem.

In terms of initial setup, if it's a totally new deployment and starting from scratch, it would have been much easier. We are basically migrating from an old platform to a new platform. For that reason, it takes a bit longer. It's straightforward if it's a new deployment, but not that straightforward if you want to take into consideration building it from other sources.

In terms of timeline for a new deployment, three months is enough. But, it has taken us more than that to get to where we are now. I think we've been six months on the project and we haven't gone live yet. We're about 80% there. We used CA services for the deployment.

I'm not so involved on the commercial side of things but I believe the cost could be improved. I'm not sure if it's a currency exchange rate issue but we are in Africa so it's quite expensive.

Although we are also running BMC Remedy and still have some clients hosted on it, I don't have much insight into it. I'm told that the latest version is run on a cloud platform, just like the CA SDM. I believe the BMC deployment is very quick, much quicker than the CA SDM deployment. That's a plus from a deployment point of view. In terms of functionality, it looks like the functionality is pretty much the same across the two products.

What other advice do I have?

Out of all the service desk solutions I know, the one I know the best is CA SDM so I may be biased. I know there are many other options like ServiceNow and ManageEngine. I use Clarity and I would recommend it because it does add value to the business.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Consult298936 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Flexible and easy to customize but needs to update its user interface
    • "The initial setup is pretty straightforward."
    • "Nowadays every person is used to an interface that is more user-friendly and this one is not so user-friendly maybe due to the fact that, if you need to let people customize everything, sometimes you lose out on a clean user experience."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our incident request processes and also our change-over processes as well as our problem processes. It's our main CMDB.

What is most valuable?

It's a very flexible platform.

You can customize your own things and your own processes. You can easily extend the natural processes and you can customize what you need to.

It's easy and it's not affected by upgrades.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The user interface is a little bit old and not so mainstream. Nowadays every person is used to an interface that is more user-friendly and this one is not so user-friendly maybe due to the fact that, if you need to let people customize everything, sometimes you lose out on a clean user experience. When you can configure the interface, including all the buttons, all the things, it's hard to keep things streamlined. From my point of view, if you gain a lot of flexibility, you lose a little bit of the overall user experience.

We'd like to have a better overall user experience.

The workflow design could be better. They have another product with better workflow designs and I would like to see them merge these products together.

The costs associated with the product are a bit high.

The first level of customer service isn't very knowledgeable.

They could use a better service portal.

I've used the solution for more than ten years at this point.

The stability is quite good. That said, when you start doing so much customization and so much code on your own, you could degrade a little bit of the performance. However, we don't have any performance issues. We have maybe 100 persons using it daily and we don't have any issues.

There might be 20 people who use the solution directly. We have 100 people who use it daily.

The solution is scalable as you can add more front-end servers or more back-end servers. It's an easy process and it's not a complex thing to do it.

Sometimes when we have some problems we have to open a ticket and escalate to the vendor, and also sometimes we use the partner and describe the issue to the partner.

The first lines of support are sometimes not so good. We need to take time to escalate the problem to the second-line or third-line of support. In the 10 years we've used the product, we haven't really had a big problem. That said, sometimes when I open a ticket for small things, sometimes the first line of support is just not great and handling the issue. They could be a bit better and more knowledgeable.

The initial setup is simple and not so complex. Of course, you have a lot of configurations as all the processes themselves are complex, however, if you use the out-of-the-box features like the SLA and workflows it's more or less easy to implement.

Sometimes the partner provides maintenance services and sometimes we handle the maintenance ourselves. Usually, we do the maintenance by ourselves. For example, if we need to do an upgrade to a new version, if we have the knowledge, we do it by ourselves, however, most of the time, we prefer to use a partner when it's something big or at least when it's something that we don't know for sure how best to handle things.

Usually, we use some people who help us. Most of the time it's not the vendor itself. Usually, it is the partner as we are a public company and we have some restrictions when we are buying things. Therefore, we sometimes cannot buy directly from the vendor and we buy the product or service through a partner. The partner is one that is in our country and close to us. They would have the same resources the vendor has in order to do the best implementation.

Nowadays, the solution is not so cheap, If can be a bit expensive. When we did some research last year, we noted the pricing was near the top and on the more expensive side.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. Usually, every year we upgrade. However, not the latest one. Still, it's not so far from the latest version.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Clarity SM
    August 2022
    620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Umair (Abu Mohaymin) Akhlaque - PeerSpot reviewer
    Enterprise Solutions & Services Head at Duroob Technologies
    While it's one of the strongest on-prem solutions, support and development have fallen off since it changed owners
    • "Clarity is flexible to implement and integrate. It gives the developer or consultant a broad space to work and customize based on what the customers want."
    • "Clarity tech support has gotten worse since Broadcom acquired CA Technologies. We're not getting the support we've come to expect as a large enterprise. Clarity's support needs to improve, or it's going to lose market share."

What is our primary use case?

We are a partner with CA Technologies, and we've done major implementations of Clarity for around 40 to 50 different customers of various sizes. Some are small, while others have a massive infrastructure running multiple instances of the CA Service Desk. It's deployed exclusively on-premises, and that's one of the reasons CA is losing market share: It doesn't offer a cloud solution.

Our customers implement Clarity for incident, change, process, configuration, and problem management. The service catalog is another popular feature they use. Clarity offers process automation as well. You can make multiple dynamic workflows to compile or integrate those processes.

What is most valuable?

Clarity is flexible to implement and integrate. It gives the developer or consultant a broad space to work and customize based on what the customers want. It adopts native languages as well.

What needs improvement?

So far, the only complaint from customers has been Clarity's user experience. Unfortunately, clarity's UX cannot compare with most modern enterprise service desk solutions. In the last couple of years since Broadcom acquired CA, they've put less effort into developing CA's product line. They aren't coming up with new features or refining the user experience.

Clarity's performance is solid. It's a highly stable solution.

Clarity tech support has gotten worse since Broadcom acquired CA Technologies. We're not getting the support we've come to expect as a large enterprise. Clarity's support needs to improve, or it's going to lose market share.

Generally speaking, Clarity's installation is relatively straightforward. Then again, it depends on how big the architecture is. If it's simple, implementation will take you a couple of hours. But if you have a vast infrastructure with multiple databases and application servers and want to enable the mobile app, it can get a bit complicated.

The amount of technical staff required also depends on the size of the implementation. If it's a small job, one consultant can handle it. But if it's a more extensive implementation with different process owners and stakeholders of the company taking part, then you need multiple consultants.

Clarity offers a perpetual license. Customers purchase the license once and then pay for maintenance. CA provides a subscription model as well. Both models are available for our customers.

What other advice do I have?

Compared to other modern IDSM tools, I rate Clarity six out of 10. My advice to people thinking about implementing Clarity is to first take stock of their budget. Second, they should consider what processes they're looking for. Third, they need to think about whether they want a cloud platform or on-prem.

If they plan to go on-prem, Clarity is one of the best solutions. If they want a cloud solution, Clarity isn't right for them. They can try out some other tools. If they have a big budget, Service Now is a good option. If they are in the mid-range, they should go for something like JIRA or 4Me. While 4Me is a newer solution, it has some appealing features.

MakhosonkeMatshoba - PeerSpot reviewer
    ESM Specialist at LetsCloudIT
    Simple deployment, high security, and integrates well
    • "The most valuable fractures of Clarity SM are its ease of use and security. I have been highly satisfied. We've been able to integrate it with email and an SMS gateway for the purposes of notifications. That works very well."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Clarity SM mainly for managing IT tickets, such as incident requests, problems, and changes. There is a cloud version available, but we are not ready for this yet.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable fractures of Clarity SM are its ease of use and security. I have been highly satisfied. We've been able to integrate it with email and an SMS gateway for the purposes of notifications. That works very well.

I have been using Clarity SM for approximately 20 years.

The stability of Clarity SM is very stable.

Clarity SM is highly scalable.

We have approximately 400 analysts that log on to the system and make use of it. This includes both sides, from the customer and the service provider. We now have what we call self-service, it is for people who interact with the system for purposes of logging tickets using self-service. We have approximately 1,700 people using the self-service interface.

We are looking forward to onboarding more clients. We only have two clients but we would like one more.

I have used ServiceNow and BMC Helix previously.

The initial setup of Clarity SM is an area where Broadcom has improved. The previous versions had big problems but with the recent versions, it's very easy to start off the setup. Most of the tasks during the setup are automated, there's not much that you have to do to go through the initial setup. There are a lot of other utilities that you can use to draw data from other sources and import it into the system. Automation of tasks has made it much easier to do the initial deployment of the system.

The deployment of Clarity SM meets all of our expectations.

We have a team of three that does the implementation and maintenance. There are two of us internally in the company and one additional person from outside that is from CA Technologies who has been assisting us to configure and other aspects.

There is a subscripted needed to use Clarity SM. The price of the solution could be less expensive. ServiceNow is less expensive and BMC Helix is priced similar to Clarity SM.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. They have improved the solution over the years and there are lots of new features coming out.

I rate Clarity SM an eight out of ten.

Senior Engineer at Banco Portugal
      UI is very user-friendly but there are issues regarding the knowledge base and configuration manager

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for ticketing. I'm a senior engineer.

What is most valuable?

The UI is very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

There are some issues regarding the knowledge base and the configuration manager.

I've been using this solution for eight years.

The solution is stable and used on a daily basis. We have around 400 users.

The technical support responds quickly and provides a good service.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The licensing cost is comparable to other solutions on the market.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution seven out of 10.

Download our free Clarity SM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
      Updated: August 2022