IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Citrix Workspace OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Citrix Workspace is #5 ranked solution in top Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) tools. PeerSpot users give Citrix Workspace an average rating of 8 out of 10. Citrix Workspace is most commonly compared to Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops: Citrix Workspace vs Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
What is Citrix Workspace?

Only Citrix offers the most complete and integrated workspace to enable people to securely access their apps, desktops and data from anywhere. With the new Workspace app, you get complete choice of device, cloud and network, while maintaining IT security and control—even over corporate SaaS and web apps. Built on trusted Citrix solutions for Windows app and desktop delivery, device security, secure file sync and sharing, network security, and intelligent analytics, Citrix Workspace offers unmatched experience, choice, and security.

Citrix Workspace was previously known as Citrix Workspace Cloud.

Citrix Workspace Buyer's Guide

Download the Citrix Workspace Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

Citrix Workspace Customers

Lucas Metropolitan Housing Authority

Citrix Workspace Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Citrix Workspace pricing:
  • "We are just now approaching the end of our initial purchase, which was an excellent price for us as an academic institution. We got a very good deal to get us on board. That license is up for renewal in about a year, and we are nervously waiting to see what the pricing will be."
  • "We don't have a lot to compare it to, but we certainly think whatever we pay is worthwhile at this point in time. It's very reasonable."
  • "The licensing of Citrix Workspace is worth it. However, it is expensive. Citrix is probably more competitive now than VMware, but it is still a costly solution."
  • Citrix Workspace Reviews

Associate Director at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Fast set up, easy to install, with responsive support
    • "The feature that I like is that it is fast."
    • "The lag when using Skype or Screen Sharing with multiple users needs to improve, as it makes it difficult for us to continue when we have to restart the system."

What is our primary use case?

We use Citrix Workspace to login into our system.

We have several users and there are standards in the installation process because of the security. They have found that various systems with standard installations, restricting users to go ahead and install on their own.

Everything is managed through the infrastructure. ServiceNow is used for the CCM.

Everything is automated machine creations and installations. They take care of the machines with regular updates on weekends.

Everything is automated here, and there is no manual intervention for setting up any system if a new user is hired.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I like is that it is fast. For example, if I am new to the company, setting up systems can take up a lot of time, but, having standard automation in place allows this user to have the same set of software installed on his or her machine.

The only area that takes some time is that it requires us to get the approval. Once the approval is given, the system with everything is installed as a prerequisite.

Because it's a prerequisite, it's a standard installation in all the systems, there are no discrepancies because everything is standard, it's automated. If I am using a particular version, it will be the same version in my colleague's system.

It's very easy.

What needs improvement?

Performance is an area that can be improved. The meetings that use Skype in Workspace will lag when they run long or we screen share. At times, it is slow when there are multiple users on the server.

When it lags, we restart it to get it resolved. If multiple users are using a single server it will lag.

The lag when using Skype or Screen Sharing with multiple users needs to improve, as it makes it difficult for us to continue when we have to restart the system.

I have been using Citrix Workspace for almost one year.

The solution is stable, however, there are version discrepancies. For example, a new version of Citrix has become available and I am using the old version of Citrix the new version is not compatible with the Media version, which creates problems when using Skype or any video meeting.

Lag is something that we observe frequently, but it can be resolved because we have a guideline page that shows us the versions that should be compatible with our systems or Windows Operating System, and the Media Version, which is the Citrix HDX Realtime Media Version, should also be compatible with the Citrix Workstation that we are using. If both are good your system will work well.

It's a scalable solution and everyone in the organization uses it. We have more than 15,000 users.

We plan to continue to use Citrix Workspace.

I do not have experience with technical support. I have a PoC team that deals with them. They are quick to resolve issues.

We just need to create a ticket and ask for support.

Ther support is good and they are quick to respond and resolve issues.

Previously, we used A3 Machine, which was replaced by Citrix Workspace.

It is easy to install. There is a link provided on our homepage for login.

We just need to install it and restart the system.

It is very fast. It took half an hour or so.

What other advice do I have?

Azure Desktop has been released and we will be using this along with Citrix Workspace. When we want to use something, we need to first have Citrix Workspace.

I have Citrix Workspace and on top of that, I can use Microsoft Azure Desktop, which may allow me to program in that machine. Citrix Workspace is the base and it works fine with most of our products.

Definitely, I would recommend Citrix Workspace to others who are interested in using it. It's very handy, portable, fast, and easy to install. Also, it is the standard amongst all users.

I would encourage everybody to use Citrix Workspace.

We are quite satisfied. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Information Systems Analyst II at State of Illinois
    A scalable, stable product that is easy to install and use
    • "Its user-friendliness is most valuable. It was easy to log in and navigate. Some of such solutions are not very user-friendly, but this one was."
    • "It is slow. When everybody is logged in, it does have a tendency to slow down. You can tell the connectivity slows down a little bit, but it's still a good product."

What is our primary use case?

I used it because we had to work from home during COVID, and that's about it. I'm not using it any longer because we're now back to work.

How has it helped my organization?

I work for the State of Illinois, and we were able to stay open and provide the services for the needs of the people of the State of Illinois during COVID, which included unemployment services and everything else like that.

What is most valuable?

Its user-friendliness is most valuable. It was easy to log in and navigate. Some of such solutions are not very user-friendly, but this one was.

What needs improvement?

In the beginning, it did not go so well because, depending on the type of internet service at home, some people didn't play very nice with it, but once we got over that initial internet incompatibility, it worked fine.

It is slow. When everybody is logged in, it does have a tendency to slow down. You can tell the connectivity slows down a little bit, but it's still a good product.

When you're doing Webex, there are a few features that are disabled when you're working from home. Sharing screens is a bit hard. The screen is grainy. It doesn't look as clear if you were just sitting at your desktop.

I last worked with it in March.

It is a good, stable product, but if there is bad weather or if you live out in the country, it has a tendency to drop. Connectivity can be a little flaky.

It is very scalable because we started with 15,000, and by the time we finished using it, we had almost 30,000 people on it. We doubled.

We had directors using it. We had techs. All kinds of people who worked for the State of Illinois were using it to do their jobs. It was used all the way down from maintenance people to all the way up to even the governor. The governor was using it.

We still have some people who are working from home. So, some people are still using it.

I didn't take care of any of the tickets. If I had a problem, I called our help desk, and within two to three hours, the issue was fixed.

It was very user-friendly. It was one of the easiest software I've installed. To deploy it, it took us less than a week, and that was for over 15,000 users.

It was deployed in-house. We have an in-house Citrix group that basically takes care of all the updating, the patching of the server, and everything. When we purchased the product, they did come in and train some of our people. We were very pleased with that.

What other advice do I have?

If you're a medium-scale or a small-scale business, it works great. As far as I know, our agency didn't have a whole lot of issues other than the people who live out in the country. We did have a few issues with those people, but once we got them set up through their own Wi-Fi and everything, it was great. It was just a simple tweaking, but it's a good, stable product. It really is.

I would rate it a nine out of ten. The reason I'm going to give it a nine and not a ten is that overall, it is a good, stable product, but people who live out and not in city limits could have issues setting it up at first. If there's bad weather with rain or wind, they may have some connectivity issues.

Citrix Workspace
    May 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Citrix Workspace. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
    596,970 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Research Programmer/Analyst at a renewables & environment company with 201-500 employees
    A stable, reliable, and scalable solution with good support and very useful VDI feature
    • "The basic virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) feature is most valuable. We were lucky to have it in place when the pandemic hit. It is used very heavily now."
    • "They can simplify the process of printers. Printers were quite a difficult issue. It took us a long time to iron this issue out. We have the most simple use case where people connect from home to either a virtual machine or their physical desktop. We tried more complex solutions like Machine Creation Services, and they were more overhead than they were worth for us. I found them difficult to work with and confusing, and they were not worth the work for us."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for enabling remote workers.

How has it helped my organization?

The primary example right now is the pandemic. People can work remotely without having to use VPNs. We prefer people connecting from home to an institutional system, rather than bringing every random person's home system into our internal network via VPN.

What is most valuable?

The basic virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) feature is most valuable. We were lucky to have it in place when the pandemic hit. It is used very heavily now.

What needs improvement?

They can simplify the process of printers. Printers were quite a difficult issue. It took us a long time to iron this issue out.

We have the most simple use case where people connect from home to either a virtual machine or their physical desktop. We tried more complex solutions like Machine Creation Services, and they were more overhead than they were worth for us. I found them difficult to work with and confusing, and they were not worth the work for us.

The basic VDI is quite good. It is pretty stable and reliable.

It is very scalable. We have 400 end users.

I have used them, and in general, I have been very happy.

Citrix is the only VDI I have used.

It was in place when I was hired. I have been involved with upgrades. Mostly, I have just been filling out the infrastructure and adding more machines. My supervisor was the one who handled the setup.

For its administration, we have two FTEs: myself and a senior systems engineer. There are a couple of other systems administrators who spend a little bit of time working on it. It requires nonstop maintenance every day. It requires four to five hours a day.

I'm not involved with the money aspect at all, but from my perspective, we've got a very good ROI. Particularly during the pandemic, it has enabled the institution to keep working. We seamlessly transitioned to an entirely remote workspace.

We are just now approaching the end of our initial purchase, which was an excellent price for us as an academic institution. We got a very good deal to get us on board. That license is up for renewal in about a year, and we are nervously waiting to see what the pricing will be.

I know that other vendors were evaluated. I was not part of that. It was before I was hired.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution, but it is not always a straightforward solution. Don't underestimate the complexity of a large-scale deployment of infrastructure like this.

I would rate Citrix Workspace an eight out of ten.

Information Systems Analyst II at State of Illinois
    Easy to setup and deploy, scalable, with good connectivity for remote connection
    • "The most valuable feature is connectivity. The remote connection is the reason we are using this solution."
    • "This solution is resource-intensive, it takes a lot of Bandwidth and a lot of the resources of the server."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Citrix Workspace when I work from home. I use Citrix to remote in.

How has it helped my organization?

Since COVID, we are able to work. That is how half the state is functioning right now, is through remoting in through Citrix Workspace.

What is most valuable?

We have other in-house software that we use to fix our issues.

What needs improvement?

This solution is resource-intensive, it takes a lot of Bandwidth and a lot of the resources of the server.

In the next release, I would like to see it support dual monitors.

I have been using Citrix Workspace for the last seven months, since March.

We are using the latest version and we just completed an upgrade.

I support the helpdesk and use this solution to remote into other users' PCs to help them with their issues, such as word processing, email issues, and things of that nature.

It's stable, providing you have the bandwidth to run it. Also, it depends on your internet provider.

It's not really glitchy. It's just that if you have the bandwidth to run it.

We have at least 25,000 to 30,000 users using it in this state.

We have directors, we have nurses, and we have doctors. We even have our state schools on it. It's like everybody that works for the state is using it.

It's a scalable solution, I have no issues with it.

I have never had to use technical support.

I have never used another solution. This is the first time we've ever had this situation come up, and the first time that I've ever had to work from home and remote in.

The initial setup was pretty easy.

All that you have to do is download the Workspace app to your home computer, and you have to load the receiver onto your work computer and connect.

What other advice do I have?

For others who are interested in using this solution, I would say try it, go with it. It's not a bad product. Just make sure that you have the bandwidth to run it, and a decent PC, because it is resource-intensive.

I would rate Citrix Workspace a nine out of ten.

Francesca Varutti - PeerSpot reviewer
    Practice Manager/Director at NewStart Networks
    All-in-one interface for managing applications, desktops, and data
    • "The ease of access and the confidentiality and security that it provides is what we like best."
    • "When there are technical issues, sometimes we can't get on the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We're a community interest company. We store all of our data about our clients and the work that we do on Citrix Workspace.

Within our company, there are five people using Citrix Workspace.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There is no recycle bin, which is a problem. When there are technical issues, sometimes we can't get on the cloud. Obviously, when that happens we are completely lost because we can't access any of our data, but I guess that's a problem that all clouds have.

I have been using Citrix Workspace since April 2012.

We've been using Citrix Workspace for eight years and we've never experienced any serious issues regarding the stability. We're very happy with it.

We've been on the same package since we first started, so I can't really comment on that, but as of yet, we haven't had any issues regarding the scalability.

We've just changed our technical support and they seem to be really good. Our technical support has been good so far.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

We don't have a lot to compare it to, but we certainly think whatever we pay is worthwhile at this point in time. It's very reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Citrix Workspace a rating of nine.

I would recommend Citrix Workspace. I would particularly recommend it for a small company like ours. It is exactly what it said it was. From the word go, we've got out of it what we expected. In this day and age, to have that security of knowing that your data is protected is worth its weight in gold. I would happily recommend this solution to somebody, and indeed, I have recommended it in the past to other businesses that I've come in contact with.

Infrastructure architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Allowing secure, stable access to applications in your environment through virtual desktops
    • "It is stable, easy to scale, and provides secure remote access."
    • "The product is currently not working well in hosting conferencing software like Zoom, Team, and Salon."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the process of upgrading the product currently. Our primary use case is having it as our main access for all our employees to be able to connect to our work environment. All applications are available through that access point.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature in Citrix is really just the desktop. The desktop part is what we are using right now for our client access. So just the use we have for the remote access, in general, is the most useful for us at this time.

What needs improvement?

I think Citrix Workspace is doing a good job for us. No complaints. If there was an improvement to make on the Workspace product, it would have to do with the communication components. Zoom, Teams, and Salon are not working well within the virtual desktop. So doing something to get the product to allow the video conferencing applications to function better would be the most important.

We have been using a Citrix setup for a long time. I would say 15 years.

Workspace is quite stable. There has been no notable downtime.

It easy to add applications to Workspace and to expand usage.

We are using private companies to help us with the support of the product. We are not using Citrix for support. The support we have is good.

I did look into information about the workspace from VMware. With the VMware workspaces, there were not any specific pain points. We were just researching the products and features for comparison.

What other advice do I have?

What I would say to people looking at Citrix Workspace as a solution is to do thorough testing for all applications. In our case, this should have included video conferencing applications. It was something we did not look at specifically probably because it was working well with everything else.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Citrix Workspace as an eight of ten.

IT Infrastructure Manager at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
    A seamless application edition with the low-level network bandwidth
    • "The most valuable feature is the seamless application edition with the low-level network bandwidth because we have between 10 and 15 sites in France with a low level of communication needs. We need to deploy our main application, the ERP system, and we needed an efficient solution to provide a solution to the remote sites, with very small links between the data center and the remote site."
    • "The application is now very complex. We started with Citrix on PCs. Now, to access the same application, we need to have a StoreFront Server, the Delivery Controller, and Citrix License Server. It's now very complex."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the seamless application edition with the low-level network bandwidth because we have between 10 and 15 sites in France with a low level of communication needs. We need to deploy our main application, the ERP system, and we needed an efficient solution to provide a solution to the remote sites, with very small links between the data center and the remote site.

What needs improvement?

The application is now very complex. We started with Citrix on PCs. Now, to access the same application, we need to have a StoreFront Server. It's now very complex.

If we want to make a clean application, we need to have StoreFront for the web access between the receiver or the Workspace client. And then have StoreFront connected to the Delivery Controller. The Delivery Controller is connected to the database, NetScaler, which we use to secure remote access.

In the beginning, we used three servers in a load-balancing environment but now to run the same application, it's on many servers.

The price is a little higher compared to other solutions. Big farms need big infrastructure, but for mid-business like us, it's complex.

I have been using Citrix since 2002.

Citrix is stable. We had an issue two weeks ago because of full infrastructure maintenance and some strange issue but it was the only incident we had.

We can say it's stable, but we are dealing very carefully with updates and upgrades too. It's getting a little bit more competitive now to upgrade because we have many components to upgrade.

When this is deployed it's stable, but when we think about upgrading some components, it can be more difficult. We need to do the updates carefully. Normally, we used to have a test farm, but it's expensive to have test farms.

It is easy to deploy a new server on the application.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Citrix if the IT team is at a good technical level with people who can deal with many technologies.

I would rate Citrix Workspace an eight out of ten.

Customer experience engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
    Secure, simple implementation, and efficient
    • "Citrix Workspace can present desktop applications with ease, in an efficient and secure manner. The performance is good, it is a great piece of software."
    • "Citrix Workspace can improve by being more secure, but this would apply to any solution not only Citrix Workspace."

What is our primary use case?

Citrix Workspace can be deployed in the cloud and on-premise.

What is most valuable?

Citrix Workspace can present desktop applications with ease, in an efficient and secure manner. The performance is good, it is a great piece of software.

What needs improvement?

Citrix Workspace can improve by being more secure, but this would apply to any solution not only Citrix Workspace.

There are times when the Citrix client is updated with a poor release. The update can effectively knock out aspects that were working previously. You can go one step forward, but two steps back. They will go through a period of having some very good software releases and then they will stop completely. It will take a couple more releases to get back everything that was negatively impacted.

I have used Citrix Workspace within the last 12 months.

The solution is stable.

Citrix Workspace is scalable.

I have not had to contact the support from Citrix Workspace.

The initial setup is straightforward and simple.

The licensing of Citrix Workspace is worth it. However, it is expensive. Citrix is probably more competitive now than VMware, but it is still a costly solution.

I have evaluated VMware.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is the initial installation is always straightforward, it's the second phase that you need a lot of good assistance or a lot of assistance to get it working right or working well. If you go into it thinking you can learn as you go, it's not that kind of solution. It is similar to VMware. The whole element about it is that installing the solution is easy and getting things up and running is not a problem, but getting it to work well in the environment requires a lot of expertise and you need to pay the money to get that to work well.

I rate Citrix Workspace a ten out of ten.

Download our free Citrix Workspace Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: May 2022