Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Cisco Prime OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco Prime is #4 ranked solution in top Network Management Applications. PeerSpot users give Cisco Prime an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Cisco Prime is most commonly compared to Cisco DNA Center: Cisco Prime vs Cisco DNA Center. Cisco Prime is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 68% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 19% of all views.

Download the Network Management Applications Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Cisco Prime?

Cisco Prime products deliver next-generation management by supporting an intuitive workflow-oriented user experience and integrated lifecycle operations across Cisco architectures, technologies, and networks.

Cisco Prime was previously known as Cisco Prime Infrastructure.

Cisco Prime Customers

Mohawk Industries, Universidad EAFIT, Halton Healthcare

Cisco Prime Video

Cisco Prime Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco Prime pricing:
  • "The price of Cisco Prime was reasonable because we purchased it as part of a Cisco One package. The package was a bundle of Cisco solutions together, such as Cisco ISE and CMX. The price is reasonable com compared to other solutions."
  • "You need to get special quotes from the company for each order."
  • "Cisco Prime is an expensive solution."
  • Cisco Prime Reviews

Mohammed Junaid Khatib - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Network Engineer at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
    If an AP or any wireless device goes into critical mode, the solution sends an alert
    • "If an AP or any wireless device goes into critical mode, Cisco Prime sends an alert. That is the most helpful feature."
    • "Cisco needs to improve Prime's monitoring tab. If any device goes down, there is a 15-second lapse before we know. It would be much better if we were alerted two or three minutes before a device is about to fail, so we can dispatch a field engineer and avoid network downtime. I would like to see a feature that allows you to access the devices directly from Prime's monitoring tab. That would make work easier for us."

What is our primary use case?

Cisco Prime is used to monitor and manage network devices like switches, WLPs, and wireless access points. For example, if I have a building with four floors, I can all the access points and sitemap to Cisco Prime, so the next engineer who is working when I'm not available has a clear picture of how the site is configured. There's no need to physically go to the site. He can test everything remotely.

I work for a telecom company on the network service delivery team, and 1,000 engineers on my team use Cisco Prime. There are different teams like monitoring, LAN, wireless, etc. About 10 percent of engineers in my organization use Cisco Prime.

How has it helped my organization?

As engineers, we cannot physically monitor all the devices. We cannot go and roam all the floors of every building. For example, say there is a city with four or five companiesthere. An engineer cannot run around to check that all the devices are up and stable.

With Cisco Prime, we can go to the monitor tab and check the physical devices. It shows you a list. For example, it will say that there are 10 APs in critical mode at the Las Vegas building. At the New York City site, there are five devices. You can dispatch the engineers to troubleshoot the problem. There's no need to send someone to check every floor.

If there is a new deployment, you don't need to physically check the old setup. We only need to add the sitemap to Cisco Prime, input the model numbers of the devices, and verify where each device is located, so we can upgrade.

What is most valuable?

If an AP or any wireless device goes into critical mode, Cisco Prime sends an alert. That is the most helpful feature.

What needs improvement?

Cisco needs to improve Prime's monitoring tab. If any device goes down, there is a 15-second lapse before we know. It would be much better if we were alerted two or three minutes before a device is about to fail, so we can dispatch a field engineer and avoid network downtime. I would like to see a feature that allows you to access the devices directly from Prime's monitoring tab. That would make work easier for us.

Network Management Applications
    August 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, Huawei, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in Network Management Applications. Updated: August 2022.
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using Cisco Prime for about a year and a half.

Cisco Prime is a stable and durable product that offers good value for the money.

I rate Cisco technical support eight out of 10. I worked with Cisco Wireless at my previous company. I have also worked at Cisco as a technical support guy. It is excellent support. Now I'm working at a consultancy for a big telecom provider.

Whenever I get in trouble, I open a Cisco ticket. If you have a priority one case, they will help you within 30 minutes. For a priority two or three cases, they will resolve the issue in four to five hours, according to the SLA.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Setting up Cisco Prime is straightforward. It's a user-friendly solution and any engineer or technician can easily go navigate all the tabs and monitoring areas. The deployment time depends on the size of your site. It will take almost three to four hours, to deploy Cisco Prime for a large enterprise.

It might not make economic sense for a small company. For example, if a client only has three or four devices, I wouldn't recommend using Cisco Prime. A small environment like that is manageable. However, I would recommend it for a large enterprise with many devices that can't be easily monitored and managed by an on-site engineer.

Cisco Prime is more valuable in that situation because it reduces employee time spent and prevents downtime. If an outage impacts a large number of users, that's potentially a huge loss for the company. Cisco Prime is absolutely necessary for a large enterprise, but a small organization with a few devices and employees has no need for Cisco Prime.

The license is on a yearly basis, but you can negotiate an agreement with the Cisco team for a five-year license as well.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cisco Prime nine out of 10. If you are a large enterprise with a massive number of network devices, I recommend using Cisco Prime.

Wireless IT Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Enables oversight so we can tweak and tune in order to successfully manage the company
    • "Enables oversight in order to tweak and tune."
    • "The solution can be slow at times."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Prime to manage all of the wireless infrastructure in our stores and campus distribution centers. In our distribution centers we also monitor switches so we can do rogue AP detection. I'm the IT wireless manager and we are customers of Cisco Prime.

What is most valuable?

I'm required to produce a rogue report once a quarter and also to provide a summary. The map overview of our campus environment shows the distribution of RF frequency channels and the distribution of a client. It provides us with a great idea of where the busier areas are within our environment to allow us to tweak and tune. The reporting is also a great feature because everyone sees which APs and which clients are the busiest, as well as the busiest applications. This solution enables us to do that.

What needs improvement?

Cisco is currently moving to DNA Center which has a lot of extra features we're looking forward to using. I think many of the gaps currently in Cisco Prime will be implemented in DNA Center. For now, because there are more and more devices in enterprise organizations that are wireless, it's the platform that's depended on. Cisco Prime is slow at times, we often have to restart the database to run reports or to gain access. We have it deployed on a VM, and that was a mistake, because when you put it on VM, the resources and management don't function well. The good still outweighs the bad, but when we have these ongoing problems, performance is not ideal.

For additional features, I'd like to see support for Ekahau Site Survey maps. Some competing companies allow you to import that together with its AP attributes, so you can perform your predictive, or post site surveys and incorporate them into their management system. It ensures you don't have to start from scratch and then import a new map and new APs with all of the attributes. Having some level of ability to work with either AirMagnet or Ekahau, the two top wireless analysis tools on the market, is where you can gain great benefit for supporting large deployments.

I've been using this solution for 12 years.

If you're using a VM, stability is iffy, probably around 80% stable.

We currently have 10 Prime servers and when I compare it to the competition, it can handle more devices than competing companies. From a scalability standpoint, it seems to be able to support more devices. We have our operations department which troubleshoots on a daily basis. Our wireless engineering team set up new facilities, put in new maps and AP placements. There are two groups - operations and engineering. We have a few people involved in that area.

The technical support is very helpful and very knowledgeable.

Working for a larger company, we were using Wavelink to manage our first and second generation access points. Wavelink is a vendor-agnostic management tool to manage APs. When you choose a more sophisticated solution, such as Cisco, as our vendor for deploying nationwide, it made sense to select a management tool that's going to allow us to manage, deploy, report, and provide PCI requirements. Those are the main reasons we switched.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We're not like a normal company, we get steep discounts from Cisco, although they do compete well on a pricing level with other similar solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Anyone wanting to implement this now should deploy DNA Center and I would recommend against using VMs if possible.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Network Management Applications
    August 2022
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    ZeeshanAli1 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Network Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    A user-friendly solution good for network monitoring and upgrades
    • "Cisco Prime is user-friendly, so we are comfortable using it."
    • "We would like to see the inclusion of detailed alerts."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is for network monitoring and conducting upgrades and we can manage devices in the network. Additionally, we deploy this solution on-premises.

We are planning to move to DNA Center, but we have legacy devices and near versions of devices that support Cisco DNA Center. We run both, but for DNA Center, we don't rely on it. In the future, when Cisco moves all of its device's DNA platforms, we will move from Cisco Prime to Cisco DNA Center.

What is most valuable?

Cisco Prime is user-friendly, so we are comfortable using it. In addition, we find the ability to monitor inventory and export reports from running networks valuable.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see the inclusion of detailed alerts. This feature is available in Cisco DNA Centre.

We have been using this solution for one year and are currently using version 3.8.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable, but if you want to expand the number of devices that can be used on the server, you will have to upgrade your license.

We have had a good experience with customer service and support which is why we have continued to use this product. However, the technical support depends on the licensing contract.

The initial setup depends on your experience with the specific product. It will not be difficult if you have had previous experience, but if you haven't, it may be difficult. In our case, we had moderate experience with our initial setup.

A solution integrator conducted the initial stages of deployment, but the other stages were completed in-house. Therefore, the time for deployment varies depending on the number of devices managed through Cisco Prime infrastructure for the site. Still, it doesn't take much time because multiple features like network discovery can be run with all the saved parameters.

We have seen a return on investment. When you have a central management plan, it saves a lot of costs. For example, the solution has reduced the resources and time needed to be spent on day-to-day tasks by managing our activities from a central management plane.

The licensing costs are much cheaper compared to Cisco DNA Centre. I rate the licensing costs a five out of ten because it is moderate. It is not too cheap or costly. The solution has a standard licensing fee and no additional charges, but the DNA licensing must be renewed every three, five or seven years.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. The solution is good and has all the features we require for our environment. My advice to users implementing this solution for the first time would be to opt for Cisco DNA Center because, with time, I believe Cisco will force customers to use Cisco DNA Center because they may retire all other legacy platforms.

Network-Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Lots of features and excellent stability but a bit too complex
    • "The hardware Cisco provides is excellent. It's a well-made product."
    • "The solution is not easy to configure."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for wireless and to do backups on switches and routers. In addition, we're using it for the deployment of our new software versions.

What is most valuable?

The product has a lot of features and capabilities. It's very flexible. It's a big tool with lots of useful pro features.

The initial setup isn't too complex. We have a good in-house team that can manage it.

The stability has been quite good overall.

The solution has scaled as much as we have needed it to.

The hardware Cisco provides is excellent. It's a well-made product.

What needs improvement?

We tried here to use it as a bigger monitoring tool. However, the problem is that a lot of new products from Cisco are not supported by Prime anymore.

The solution is not easy to configure. It's not user-friendly for admins. It's quite a complex solution.

The strategy from Cisco doesn't seem to be well defined. We need to figure out how to properly integrate everything together, and right now, that's not exactly clear.

I've been using the solution for about two years at this point. It's been a while.

The stability has been good so far. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. For how we are using it, we haven't had issues.

The scalability fits our needs. For how we are using it, the scalability has been fine.

We have direct technical support from our supplier here in Germany if we need it.

The initial setup is not so complex. It's pretty straightforward. We had a lot of people in-house that were proficient in Cisco. It was not very complicated.

The initial implementation was done here within the company. We did not need to hire any consultants or integration partners. We handled it ourselves.

We're looking at Cisco DNA. Prime, for the things we're using it for, is too big for us. This is why we want to compare it with Cisco's DNA Center. Cisco creates very good hardware solutions. However, we need some time here to integrate products into software solutions from Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user. We do not have a professional relationship with Cisco.

We will not keep using this solution. I'm only keeping Prime Infrastructure at the moment for coexistence purposes as we have not yet created some functionalities elsewhere.

I'd rate the solution at a six out of ten, mostly due to some issues we have surrounding its overall complexity that hinders us a bit.

Cisco DNA-C isn't FIPS certified.

Juan Pr - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Professional at NTT Security
    Easy to install and good monitoring but could be less expensive
    • "The installation is easy."
    • "It should be able to monitor Palo Alto, Juniper, and Check Point products - not just Cisco solutions."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily offer this solution to my clients. It is really helpful, for example, for monitoring the access point condition of my clients' devices.

What is most valuable?

I like the monitoring of access points. We can see the heat map in locations within the building. In case of trouble, if my client has trouble in some specific area, we can look to specific areas on the map, which areas are impacted.

The installation is easy.

What needs improvement?

The solution is a bit pricey.

I've been dealing with the solution for five or six years.

It's stable. There are no bugs or glitches. I have never heard my customers complaining about the stability of Cisco Prime.

I'm not sure about the scalability. Most of my clients deploy the network differently. Not that many worry about scaling. If you want it to be scalable, it's still possible to scale by upgrading the hardware or software, maybe. It's VM-based; it's still scalable if you upgrade it.

We have five clients using the solution, however, I'm unsure how many users are under each client.

Technical support is great. We find them to be helpful and responsive.

The solution is very straightforward and simple. It's not overly complex.

The deployment is quick as well. For installation, a half-day is enough. That covers not just installation. That also covers the testing and connection to the network.

The licensing is pretty simple, however, we would like it to be less expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We resell both the cloud and on-premises versions.

I would recommend the solution. We tend to recommend it to clients.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

There are fewer monitoring solutions around, however, for now, my clients are using Cisco Prime just to monitor Cisco products only - not other brands like HP or Palo Alto, or Check Point. I cannot recommend it beyond using it if you are heavily involved in Cisco.

Nayef Hamzeh - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Manager at cmc
    Useful heat maps, responsive support, but system notifications could improve
    • "The most valuable feature of Cisco Prime is the heat map."
    • "Cisco Prime could improve the notifications in the system. Having more details about what is happening would be useful, such as traffic numbers or who is connected. We can see them through the firewall controller, but it would be better if you can see them from one place."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Prime mainly to monitor and double-check if all access points are working correctly and in the correct places that they are intended to be. Additionally, we check the heat maps of the coverage of the wifi signal to see if it is the appropriate coverage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Cisco Prime is the heat map.

What needs improvement?

Cisco Prime could improve the notifications in the system. Having more details about what is happening would be useful, such as traffic numbers or who is connected. We can see them through the firewall controller, but it would be better if you can see them from one place.

In the next release, they could add some more features and improve the look of the user interface to something more modern.

I have been using Cisco Prime for approximately five years.

Cisco Prime is stable.

The scalability of Cisco Prime has been good for the 200 access points we have.

We communicate with our Cisco partner here and I'm very happy with them. They're very cooperative and responsive.

I have not used another similar solution prior to Cisco Prime.

The price of Cisco Prime was reasonable because we purchased it as part of a Cisco One package. The package was a bundle of Cisco solutions together, such as Cisco ISE and CMX. The price is reasonable com compared to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is they need to make sure during their planning that they have distributed the exact number of access points in the right location. There should be someone dedicated to it because it needs a follow-up and daily monitoring.

I rate Cisco Prime a seven out of ten.

MuhittinAkar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Hardware and Networks Support Executive at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
    The solution is very easy to use, and has a good dashboard
    • "The dashboard is a valuable feature. It's very clear, and the metrics make it easy to see the current network situation."
    • "Maybe it could be a little cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for monitoring and backing up our network devices.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is a valuable feature. It's very clear, and the metrics make it easy to see the current network situation.

What needs improvement?

In general, it's fine for me. It's a nice product. Right now, I can't think of any features that could be added. Maybe it could be a little cheaper.

We've been using the solution for less than a year.

The solution is stable. It works very well.

The solution is scalable. You can expand it if you buy an additional license.

We've never had to create a case for Cisco Prime support.

At my previous company, I used Huawei Insight software for our Cisco devices. Cisco Prime is slightly easier than Huawei Insight but a bit expensive, which is why my previous company preferred it.

The setup wasn't complex at all.

We did the deployment in-house.

I don't think these products have a standard cost because they are very specific. You need to get special quotes from the company for each order.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to 10, I would rate the product as nine.

We have two users using the solution.

The product is simple to maintain. By following the Cisco alarms, you can fix problems easily.

The solution is very easy to use, and I absolutely advise using it, as long as your budget has no limits.

Network Specialist at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Provides us with real-time monitoring but could benefit from more visibility
    • "Cisco Prime is helpful as it provides us with real-time monitoring. This allows us to be proactive in our environment."
    • "The overall management capabilities of Prime need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Prime to manage and monitor our banking app devices and other wireless devices.

Within our company, there are seven employees that use this solution. We have plans to increase our usage of this product.

How has it helped my organization?

Availability and uptime. Cisco Prime helps us a great deal with reports.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

When compared to DNA, I think DNA has a lot of improvements over Cisco Prime. I think going forward, it's best to move towards Cisco DNA instead of trying to improve Prime.

The overall management capabilities of Prime need to be improved. With Cisco DNA, you get total visibility of your environment. Not only can you manage the uptime, but you can also apply recommendations. Cisco Prime doesn't allow you to do this.

We've been using Cisco Prime for seven years.

Stability-wise, it's great. We don't have any complaints. Once it's installed, it functions well.

Cisco Prime is scalable.

The installation of Cisco Prime is very easy.

Cisco Prime is an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Cisco Prime — it's a good product; however, I would suggest you go with Cisco DNA instead.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven. If it provided us with true visibility, I would give it a higher rating.

Download our free Network Management Applications Report and find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, Huawei, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, and more!
    Updated: August 2022