IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Cherwell Service Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cherwell Service Management is #23 ranked solution in top IT Service Management (ITSM) tools and #28 ranked solution in top Help Desk Software. PeerSpot users give Cherwell Service Management an average rating of 8 out of 10. Cherwell Service Management is most commonly compared to ServiceNow: Cherwell Service Management vs ServiceNow. Cherwell Service Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the IT Service Management (ITSM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Cherwell Service Management?
Cherwell Service Management is a powerful IT service management (ITSM) solution that provides IT organizations the flexibility needed for rapid configuration and customization, minimal overhead, and frictionless upgrades at a fraction of the cost and complexity associated with legacy ITSM solutions. Cherwell's codeless design architecture means you can add new functionality without modifying a single line of code, integrate easily with third party applications, and upgrade without fear of breaking what you've built.
Cherwell Service Management Customers
Ausenco, Highlights for Children, B/E Aerospace
Cherwell Service Management Video

Archived Cherwell Service Management Reviews (more than two years old)

Consultant at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Good dashboard and reporting functionality, but overall not very user-friendly
  • "The dashboard and the reporting functionality are the solution's most valuable features."
  • "The stability, specifically in the on-premises deployment model, could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for incident management, problem management, and change management.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more user-friendly. The workflows sometimes get complicated. The stability, specifically in the on-premises deployment model, could be improved.

I've been using the solution for less than a year.
IT Service Management (ITSM)
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Cherwell Software, ServiceNow, BMC and others in IT Service Management (ITSM). Updated: June 2022.
610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable. When it was on-premises, we did have issues with it. However, now that we are on the cloud, it is much more stable.

We've never attempted to scale the solution, so I can't speak to how easy it would be to expand it. Currently, we have 130 people using the solution.

We've contact technical support in the past. They're okay. We're largely satisfied with the level of support we've received.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup isn't complex. It took about two months to configure the solution. Deployment itself only takes about an hour.

We were able to implement the solution with the assistance of a consultant.

There aren't any costs that I know of that are above and beyond the standard licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

We use the solution every day and quite extensively. For those considering implementing the solution, I'd say as long as you have your processes in order, it will be an easy solution to adopt. Without them ready and lined up, it will be a difficult implementation process. I'd rate the solution overall seven out of ten. I'd rate it higher if it was more user-friendly in design.

it_user877374 - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at Surplan UG
User
The dashboard is very useful to get a quick overview of current tasks. Plug-ins to JIRA would be welcome.

What is our primary use case?

• Change and release management
  • Task management and resource management for middle size teams
  • Reports are flexible to configure.

How has it helped my organization?

Clear processes with transparent responsibilities led to more efficiencies within the teams. Reporting and exporting them was easy.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is very useful to get a quick overview of current tasks, tasks which are overdue, and mail notifications with progress information. This has been helpful.

What needs improvement?

• Agile delivery should be supported.
  • Plug-ins to JIRA would be welcome.
  • More fields for estimations and work done for summing up functionalities from subtask to main tasks would be helpful

IT Service Management (ITSM)
June 2022
610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director of Operations with 501-1,000 employees
The Business Process feature allows us to customize an escalation process for different products with their own sets of rules, but mobile access and the UI need improvement.

What is most valuable?

The best feature is the ability to create functional dashboards, where the IT manager can interact with its data trough the dashboard using the drill down feature. Another relevant aspect, is the integrations that are very simple to do due to the open architecture of the system.

How has it helped my organization?

We provide a service to a large truck manufacturer, and they wanted to implement a customer service team that had an automated escalation process. Since they had a lot of different products, and each product had its own business rules to escalate, that was possible because of the Business Process feature that Cherwell has. It allows you to define, based on several criteria, such as incident classification, specific item in the service catalog, and the end-user, which way the escalation process goes.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve their mobile interface, as well as features regarding the extension of the mobile access to the end user. They also need to improve some aspects of their User interface to have an more modern look.

We have been using Cherwell for about two years now.

No, that’s actually a very key point: it never stops.

Not yet. The only aspect is that the infrastructure must be well designed, especially the database.

8/10.

8/10.

We used another ITSM solution that was ITIL framed, and did not have the ability to adapt to business process rules. So we switched, as Cherwell has the capability to create, and operate, any process besides the basic ITSM-ITIL framework.

The technical part of the implementation is very straightforward, the process definition is where it take more time, but this part is the same for all systems.

We did it in-house.

I think that’s always something harder to measure, but I would say that we were able to gain some clients due to the change to Cherwell.

They have a concurrent-user license model which is very interesting for larger organizations. I think that their price is quite fair for what they offer.

• CA Nimsoft Service Desk
  • CA Service Desk Manager

What other advice do I have?

It is important to design your processes, and define the business rules that 80% of the work will rely on.

Download our free IT Service Management (ITSM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Cherwell Software, ServiceNow, BMC, and more!
Updated: June 2022