IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Cherwell Service Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cherwell Service Management is #23 ranked solution in top IT Service Management (ITSM) tools and #28 ranked solution in top Help Desk Software. PeerSpot users give Cherwell Service Management an average rating of 8 out of 10. Cherwell Service Management is most commonly compared to ServiceNow: Cherwell Service Management vs ServiceNow. Cherwell Service Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the IT Service Management (ITSM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Cherwell Service Management?
Cherwell Service Management is a powerful IT service management (ITSM) solution that provides IT organizations the flexibility needed for rapid configuration and customization, minimal overhead, and frictionless upgrades at a fraction of the cost and complexity associated with legacy ITSM solutions. Cherwell's codeless design architecture means you can add new functionality without modifying a single line of code, integrate easily with third party applications, and upgrade without fear of breaking what you've built.
Cherwell Service Management Customers
Ausenco, Highlights for Children, B/E Aerospace
Cherwell Service Management Video

Cherwell Service Management Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cherwell Service Management pricing:
"For an ITIL user, the cost is probably about 50 bucks a month."

Cherwell Service Management Reviews

Brian McMinn - PeerSpot reviewer
ServiceNow Architect / Lead Developer & Owner at Hana Technical Solutions
A scalable solution with good discovery, integration, and orchestration features, but application service mapping, GRC, and SecOps need improvement
  • "Its integration features, orchestration features, and discovery tools are the most valuable. It is also pretty stable, and it can be as scalable as you want."
  • "Application service mapping, GRC, SecOps, and things like that need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our company does BMC, Cherwell, and ServiceNow implementation. We used Cherwell primarily for ITSM, and we did some discovery for CMDB and some orchestration. We used it with Azure.

What is most valuable?

Its integration features, orchestration features, and discovery tools are the most valuable. It is also pretty stable, and it can be as scalable as you want.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for five years.
IT Service Management (ITSM)
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Cherwell Software, ServiceNow, BMC and others in IT Service Management (ITSM). Updated: June 2022.
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is a pretty stable platform. It is on-premise, so it is pretty stable because you're controlling your environment. Avante just bought them, so I don't know what Avante is going to do with it in terms of whether they are going to make it totally cloud-based.

It can be as scalable as you want because it is on-premise. You can buy as many servers as you want for it.

It is not as good as the ServiceNow ticketing tool, but it is good. The support from the actual manufacturer is poor. They don't really have any in-company tech support. You have to work with a Cherwell partner or something like that.

We also do ServiceNow implementations. ServiceNow is kind of the gold standard.

It is pretty complex on some premises.

For an ITIL user, the cost is probably about 50 bucks a month.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to just be ready to have an on-premise solution. As far as configuration and everything goes, you will probably need a team of developers or implementers. It is highly configurable, so you would probably need some support in that area. I would rate Cherwell Service Management a seven out of ten.

ITSM analyst at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Not bad out of the box but customization can be time-intensive
  • "The most valuable features are problem management and change management."
  • "Areas for improvement would be the service catalog and customer catalog, which is not very user-friendly. The shopping cart experience is also terrible - you submit and go straight to the cart, you can't continue shopping or see your overall cost."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use of this is in a hospital environment to manage both clinical and non-clinical incidents. We also have a few integrations with third parties, for example, to track the levels in ink cartridges and alert when stock needs to be replaced.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are problem management and change management.

What needs improvement?

Areas for improvement would be the service catalog and customer catalog, which is not very user-friendly. The shopping cart experience is also terrible - you submit and go straight to the cart, you can't continue shopping or see your overall cost. In the future, I would like to see the addition of chatbots to the self-service portal.

I've been using this solution for about eight months.

I haven't experienced any problems with this solution from a performance point of view.

I use a support company called Service Quality, which is helpful, but whose quality of support varies depending on the expertise of the person you're dealing with.

Setup isn't straightforward because you can't always build relationships between forms, making it more difficult than just going from A to B and can be quite frustrating. This process should be wizard-driven rather than relying on the user to understand how to use code.

What other advice do I have?

Cherwell isn't a bad tool out of the box, but it requires customization to enhance some features like change management. Some of the smaller customizations that longer than might be expected. This solution is fine for small to medium organizations, but I think it would be a struggle to implement in a bigger organization that wants lots of customization. I'd give Cherwell a rating of seven out of ten.

Other
Download our free IT Service Management (ITSM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Cherwell Software, ServiceNow, BMC, and more!
Updated: June 2022