Barracuda Email Security Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Barracuda Email Security Gateway is the #9 ranked solution in top Email Security tools. PeerSpot users give Barracuda Email Security Gateway an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Barracuda Email Security Gateway is most commonly compared to Microsoft Defender for Office 365: Barracuda Email Security Gateway vs Microsoft Defender for Office 365. Barracuda Email Security Gateway is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 42% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.
Barracuda Email Security Gateway Buyer's Guide

Download the Barracuda Email Security Gateway Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is Barracuda Email Security Gateway?

Barracuda Email Security Gateway is a robust security solution that allows users to protect themselves from external threats as well as from potential data leaks. It can be managed and monitored from a centralized location. Users can efficiently and easily keep track of every aspect of their security suite all at one time. Customized protections can also be set up in a matter of minutes.

Benefits of Barracuda Email Security Gateway

Some of the benefits of using Barracuda Email Security Gateway include:

• Provides users with a comprehensive and robust suite of security features. Barracuda Email Security Gateway employs a suite of security features to keep users safe. It has an email filter that scans outgoing emails to keep sensitive data from being sent to the wrong parties. Additionally, its software allows users to keep an eye on potential threats in real time. Users can stay ahead of malicious actors and preserve the integrity of their systems.
  • Designed for easy deployment. Barracuda Email Security Gateway makes it easy for users to secure themselves. The solution comes pre-configured for quick rollout and use. Users can benefit from it fully without devoting a significant level of resources to deployment.

Reviews from Real Users

Barracuda Email Security Gateway is an email security tool that stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are the high level of flexibility that it gives to users and the solution’s powerful filtering feature. Barracuda Email Security Gateway offers users the ability to enact customizations that enable them to align the solution with their specific needs. It is highly flexible and allows for the completion of many different tasks. Additionally, it employs a powerful spam filter feature that gives users the ability to stop a large percentage of the threats to their devices before they get anywhere near their machines.

Mohammed N., the assistant general manager at CoLoCity Data Center, writes, “There are many customizable options:

• Attachment filtering, where we are filtering attachments according to our requirements.
  • IT-based configurations, where we allow domains. We are blacklisting domains that we do not want to pass through.
  • Rate Control feature, where we have the user license for 10,000 incoming and outgoing emails. Therefore, 10,000 users can use this device.

The client has the option to blacklist or whitelist any email address or domain based on the sender and recipient filters. If they want, they can restrict any IP addresses so email won't be received from those IP addresses. Another interesting feature of Barracuda Email Security is the content filtering. If there is any word or sentence that we or our customers want to block, then we can add that thing in Barracuda Email Security Gateway. The content contained in the email will not be delivered or received by the recipient. Maximum customization options are available.”

Igor G., the information security officer and data protection officer at a manufacturing company, writes, “The spam filtering feature, in particular, is very important for us. We have a large volume of emails each month, something like 200,000, and Barracuda filters about 85 percent of the spam, malware, and phishing that comes in. It prevents our users from receiving this content on their computers.”

Barracuda Email Security Gateway was previously known as Barracuda Spam and Virus Firewall.

Barracuda Email Security Gateway Customers

Evolution Recruitment Solutions, Evans Delivery Company, Osoyoos Credit Union, Synovis Life Technologies, Camden County Technical Schools, DEK, Evans Delivery Company, Colgate Rochester Crozer, Hemmera, South Carolina Heart Center, Ferma Corporation, Major League Baseball (MLB), Healy Brothers Automotive Group

Barracuda Email Security Gateway Video

Archived Barracuda Email Security Gateway Reviews (more than two years old)

Insolvency Practitioner and Director at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Simple to whitelist addresses, but it could always be more secure
  • "It is very simple to whitelist addresses."
  • "This product can always be made more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product to protect us against spam and viruses.

What is most valuable?

It is very simple to whitelist addresses.

What needs improvement?

This product can always be made more secure.

We have been using the Barracuda Email Security Gateway for a few years.

Barracuda Email Security Gateway
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about Barracuda Email Security Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We use this product on a daily basis.

We have 18 of us who are using this product.

Our support is outsourced.

We were using a different solution prior to Barracuda and we switched because our IT support company suggested it.

Our department was not responsible for the deployment.

The licensing fees are part of a bundled support package that we pay for.

This security product is part of an IT support package that we bought, and we didn't select it or purchase it for a specific reason. I don't know who the competitors are.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I am satisfied with this product, although I don't have the expertise to meaningfully recommend it, or not.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

CIO at a government with 51-200 employees
Rock solid and great at blocking spam
  • "Great at blocking spam."
  • "Solution requires regular checking to ensure it's 'keeping up' with spam."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is my spam filter and it's tied to my exchange server. All SMTP traffic goes through Barracuda. I've just started using their cloud service and I'm looking possibly at their firewall solutions also because I can tie all these things together in the cloud. We are customers of Barracuda and I work as CIO at a municipality in the States.

How has it helped my organization?

If you have raw spam, this solution is going to catch it. They are consistent and they're good. Spam itself is not getting through, although email with links that deliver spam can bring it in if users are not being diligent. My biggest concern is educating my end users that just because an email looks like it is from someone you know, doesn't mean you should open it. My mantra is: If you weren't expecting it, delete it.

What is most valuable?

I like the frontend blocking of spam which is what it is designed to do. I like the Dashboard view, it gives me a great overview of everything. Also, it is rich in configuration options which allow for some very fine tuning. Overall, It's been very beneficial.

What needs improvement?

In the past, I would have said that the reporting could be improved, but they've gotten better at that in recent versions. Although I don't use reporting routinely, it's something I do when I need to check something or pull some kind of statistical report. Also, I had some difficulty in the past with the system getting swamped and overwhelmed trying to process all incoming traffic. The appliance didn't have the resources to keep up. Obviously the network is getting more and more spam and virus traffic which adds to the problem. Since I had a service contract with Barracuda, they were able to resolve the issue by shipping me newer replacement hardware with significantly more computing resources. This was all at no cost.

I've been using this solution for six years.

This solution is rock solid.

It scales quite well as far as I can tell. I've got a box that is more than adequate for my environment. I've have about 250 end users so I'm not huge environment. We're a municipality, and all end user email routes through Barracuda regardless of which department they are in.

The technical support is excellent. Response time is great.

I think the initial setup was pretty straightforward. As I mentioned previously, we recently upgraded to the current version, and in the process our hardware was upgraded because we were running on older Pentium processors. It all went quite smoothly with support from Barracuda.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's a good product, it's rated fairly highly when I look at reviews.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10, no reason for not giving a 10 than, nothing is perfect.

Barracuda Email Security Gateway
December 2022
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Fredric Robinson - PeerSpot reviewer
Founder CEO at Waterdog Computer Works
Get rid of your spam concerns and be more productive with the help of this product
  • "Eliminating inbox clutter creates an opportunity to be more productive instead of wasting time manually sorting through spam."
  • "The spam filtering is a little too aggressive. You can not get granular enough to back off on what is considered spam and what is not."

What is our primary use case?

We are an MSP (Managed Service Provider) so, basically, all of our business clients who want email security are using this product.

How has it helped my organization?

Barracuda has made things easier simply by making it so all of us do not have to go through the mounds of spam that would be coming in otherwise. It has made our lives a lot simpler in letting us see what is valuable in our inboxes rather than a blob of emails users have to hunt through.

What is most valuable?

It is really hard to pinpoint any one feature that is more valuable than the others. I mean, the features are all valuable. If I had to choose, I guess the spam filtering part of the product stands out as phenomenal. The time it saves in eliminating inbox clutter and the focus that creates allows staff to be more productive instead of absolutely wasting time manually filtering spam.

What needs improvement?

An improvement I would encourage is that sometimes the spam filtering is a little too aggressive. You can not get granular enough to back off what is considered spam and what is not. So it is fine that they have predefined settings for spam, but not so good that it can not be modified. If we could go in and modify the settings or affect the way it is treating spam, I think that would allow for more versatility and better results.

I have been using Barracuda Email Security Gateway for probably a little over two years.

The stability of Email Security is fine. We have had no real issues with it.

Scalability is very, very easy. We have over 40 clients with multiple end-users currently using it, so it has already proven to be very scalable.

Primarily the people using the product are actually the end-users. They could be CFOs, CEOs, company presidents, office managers — the whole gamut of employees use the product if they use the network. We are an MSP, so we are literally servicing the whole range of different companies and different end-user needs with pretty high volume capability.

I would say their technical support is a ten. They are really good. They support you right from the beginning with training and make you comfortable adopting the product.

Barracuda was actually the first product like this that we utilized. We were looking for a product to take care of spam and email security. In our comparison, we found this product to be the solution for us at the time.

The initial setup is pretty straight forward as long as you pay attention when you get the training. Record that training session.

The pricing for the product is fine. It matches what we can budget to the functionality we expect.

What other advice do I have?

Security Gateway is simple to implement. Make sure that multiple people on staff are trained in setting it up. In other words, you do not want to just be relying on one individual in the organization to be the only one who is able to set it up. Always have a backup, or even two. That is especially important to us as an MSP.

One more thing would be to pay attention when you first onboard with the solution. Barracuda puts you through some training with one of their technicians. I think it is important that you record those training sessions to keep for your reference. What will happen if you do not take advantage of recording it is that after the first two or three installs, you will be on your own. If you make sure you make a copy of your training session with them, then you can always refer back to it.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product overall as a nine-of-ten. The reason I would give it a nine is just that one area where we do not have the ability to manually go in and modify some of the settings. Until we can do that, it is still a great product but it is not quite a ten.

Other
RainerAlbrecht - PeerSpot reviewer
General Manager at Gemakom
Leaderboard
Link protection checks links and alerts us to phishing attacks
  • "The link protection and anti-phishing features are great."
  • "False positives have given us issues."

What is our primary use case?

We use it ourselves as well as our customers. Our deployment is on-premise and also combined with cloud control. Cloud control is second-tier. The first tier is cloud control, the Barracuda and Barracuda cloud and then the email is passed to our Barracuda box which is on-premise. It's a gateway appliance, not a hardware box. It is normally used with Microsoft Exchange server but is also supported with Microsoft Office 365. We have 20 users but our customers have from 200 to 500 users.

What is most valuable?

They combined the cloud control and they have anti-phishing. There is link protection, which means when a link is in the email and it is similar to PayPal, for example, it gets flagged. The link protection checks the link and checks that it has been faked because it's not the original PayPal link. So when a link is not original then it's passed to Barracuda and checked in the sent box and when it's okay then it's opened. Otherwise, if it's malware then there's an alert which says, "That's a phishing attack and this is what you need to do."

What needs improvement?

We had a case where right before a link was redirected and there was no chance to ignore it. A few days ago there was a feature request to clean and redirect a link because it was a false positive. Let us say false positive in the link protection and there's no easy way to correct it.

We have been using Barracuda Email Security Gateway for five years.

It's stable. The only issue is when you do an email campaign with large file attachments, PDF and then email, the system slows down. That is a problem because the queue gets full and you have to correct it and delete those emails manually.

The scalability is pretty granular. For example, 80p protection and cloud protection, link protection, anti-phishing, you can buy it all separately. You buy the original box and then you can buy afterward the additional security features.

Their support is very good. You get German and from Austria, but they also have English support world-wide. It is very good. With less response time. Short response time.

We previously used another solution. The complexity of the user interface was very complex and if you tried to make a configuration change, you end up searching for the feature and where you can edit. Also, security is a very good feature of the Barracuda Email Security Gateway. It has a per-user quarantine. It's very comfortable for the user to make his own white list or blacklist.

The setup is straightforward, it's very easy. For example, I want to change a feature but I didn't find it easily. There's a search option and you find the manual entry and you can make a conflict change.

It is yearly licensing. They recently increased the price but the price-performance relation is still very good. Compared to Cisco IronPort, Barracuda is less expensive and the configuration is much simpler.

What other advice do I have?

Try the Barracuda Email Essential Security Cloud Service. It's not expensive and implemented in half an hour.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Manjil Bhetwal - PeerSpot reviewer
Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A user-friendly solution that is easy to deploy and configure

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the products that we provide to our clients.

This solution is used for email security. It provides security when using Office 365, for Google Suite, in-house email servers, and other devices.

We generally deploy it as a hardware solution for our clients, but it depends on their environment and what their requirements are.

How has it helped my organization?

Better Protection and Overall Visibility

What is most valuable?

The security protection is the best and it's GUI is user-friendly.

It has a simple configuration where you can set up the protection.

The solution provides good information on various threats that can affect our customers.

What needs improvement?

I have three and a half years of experience with the Barracuda Email Security Gateway.

This solution has been stable and we have not faced any issues.

Our clients are enterprise-level businesses, government bodies, and other institutions. We have not received feedback on any major issues as they have tried to scale up or add on to their environment.

Barracuda's support is very good and I would rate them four and a half out of five. Nobody is perfect.

The initial setup is easy and user-friendly, and you can deploy it quickly.

We deploy in-house

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Deputy Manager IT Operations (Senior System Administrator) at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good performance and the interface is easy to use
  • "The performance is good."
  • "The reporting can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for email protection and security.

What is most valuable?

This solution is easy to use.

The performance is good.

What needs improvement?

The technical support service is outsourced and the accents are difficult to understand, even for people like us from the same region.

The reporting can be improved.

The user interface needs to be more responsive. The performance of the actual device is pretty good but the interface lags sometimes.

We have been using the Barracuda Email Security Gateway for six or seven years.

Barracuda is robust and I would say it is pretty stable. We have run it continuously, every day, for the past six or seven years.

You cannot add to this device, so if you want to upgrade then you have to replace it. Each model has a bit of a margin and if you choose it properly then you will not have any problem.

Contacting technical support is pretty easy. Technically, support is decent. However, they are outsourced to India and their accent is not that great. Although we are from the same region, I still have problems understanding them.

We did not use another solution prior to this one, although we are in the process of acquiring a new solution from the same company.

The initial setup is pretty easy and not complex. It took a day or two to deploy.

We had a consultant for the implementation but there was nothing difficult about it.

Ajai Jayakumar - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Has intelligent sensing of attacks and offers assistance for load balancing but support is lacking
  • "It is an excellent, intelligent solution that provides maximum security from email attacks."
  • "The technical support is not available globally 24/7 and this is the biggest problem with the product."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of this solution is for the main features: intelligent sensing of attacks and the assistance for load balancing. The features are very good. The system is intelligent enough to determine which emails are genuine and deliverable and which are spam or phishing or other types of potential attacks. It processes emails in real-time and it can protect your email server and provide good security for an organization's network.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides a solution for protecting our infrastructure from malicious email attacks without having to use a lot of internal resources to support the product.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are really the same as our primary use for the product: intelligent handling of potential email attacks and offloading or load-balancing. This effectively protects the organization from malicious attacks.

What needs improvement?

One aspect of the product that can be improved is the availability of support. We don't have the availability of support 24/7, and it takes some time to get answers. These technical support people are in some other country, and our time zone is not supported.

We have to often give them remote access to resolve issues, so potentially it is a security risk also. Sometimes clients who we resell to will not accept that risk because you are opening a secured doorway to the internet. That can be a bit of headache in those cases, which we end up having to work-around.

Actually the rest of the product is very good and it is otherwise meeting our requirements. I would only hope they would provide better support in our country.

We have been using this product for more than five years.

This is a very stable product. But the stability depends on supporting the product to let it meet the requirements of your organization. We always have to scale according to the demands of our call center. We needed to know how many emails flow in and out of our organization and based on that we choose the correct model of the product. Any organization will have to do this. Once you ensure which product model you need to meet your level of service, then it will be stable.

If you don't size it properly and you under-size it, then you will have a network or email flow issue. For example, if you know you have 2,000 emails flowing in and out per hour and you buy a product which supposed to handle only 200 or 300 emails per hour, then it will slow your email server. At times miscalculating your volume or not buying the right product — maybe to save money — may cause a situation where it will jam and not even work. So stability depends upon how intelligently you approach the analysis of what you really need as a solution.

The product is scalable by choosing the right plan. If you need to scale up or down, that is possible. Pricing will change accordingly.

We occasionally use support, but find it frustrating because it is not global 24/7 and we are affected by the time zone. We don't have local support and because of that we sometimes have to sit late night to troubleshoot with live support or wait for answers. This is the one place where the company could greatly improve the utility of the product for us.

I have used three advanced email security systems, including Trend Micro (InterScan), Cisco IronPort, and Barracuda Email Security Gateway. All three are good solutions but each has its advantages. Cisco, I think, is very expensive compared to Barracuda or Trend Micro. Trend Micro is less expensive but more difficult to deploy and use.

It wasn't so much a case of switching products for my current organization as it was choosing the product that fits with our needs. It was better for us to save a little using Barracuda in cost compared to Cisco and in time and effort compared to Trend Micro.

The deployment took about one week. It was easy to deploy. All the information you need is supplied by the company. You just have to make the proper considerations and do some fine-tuning. Then it can be put into production.

Because we are an enterprise company, we deal with integrators, but we also work with Barracuda directly. So we use both integrators as well as Barracuda support.

Barracuda Email Security Gateway is sort of a mid-range price high-end solution. The pricing is scalable depending on the volume of use.

In our choice of a product to use as an email security system, I mostly went by previous experience in using Trend Micro and Cisco IronPort. These are two other very good options.

What other advice do I have?

As far as advice to other organizations considering this solution, I would generally recommend the product. But it depends. I can recommend Barracuda as a user because I have not had any problem with it. But if your organization has a limited budget, you might want to consider going with Trend Micro. Trend Micro is also a very good product, and it is a little cheaper than Barracuda when it comes to pricing structure. But Trend Micro is also not as easy to implement and use as Barracuda. So you would have to determine whether Barracuda is worth investing in so that you save time and effort. Barracuda costs a little more, but it is easier to use, more user-friendly and has a little better reputation.

On a scale from one to ten, with one being the worst and ten being the best, I would rate Barracuda Email Security Gateway as a seven out of ten. This rating is lower even though I am completely satisfied with this product as a solution. The big problem is not the product, but the support — which I consider a very important factor. If I can't get support on time or I have to work inconvenient hours to get live support, this ends up affecting our services.

One other thing I think I should mention is that the reporting system for Barracuda is very good. Good reporting is important to the utilization of the product in an efficient manner.

Network Specialist at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
Straightforward to deploy and the logging feature has been helpful
  • "This solution has helped to significantly reduce the amount of junk email that we receive."
  • "The reports are standard, and it would be nice to be able to customize them."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for filtering and enhancing our email.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

We really like the logging system in this solution. It is easy to track down email messages that a user has misplaced, or didn't realize that they got. Perhaps it came in but was wrong because the sender had the wrong email alias, for example. You can track down and find things like this.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of this solution could be improved.

The reports are standard, and it would be nice to be able to customize them.

It would be nice if the appliance itself was scalable, rather than having to replace it.

Approximately nine years.

This solution is fairly stable. We have had the appliance replaced a couple of times due to some kind of failure, but over nine years, you're bound to replace it once or twice. When this happened, they were pretty good with the turnaround and getting it back to us.

I would say that this specific appliance is not scalable. While the product, overall, is scalable, we would have to accomplish this by moving up to a different model.

We have approximately two thousand email users who are using the filtering, blocking, and quarantine features. We receive about ten thousand pieces of email per day.

We have been in contact with technical support over the span of its lifetime. They are really good at helping us and working through problems, or trying to fix the appliance when needed.

When a replacement is needed they send us a new box and we ship back the old one. This is part of the additional coverage that we purchased.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup was straightforward and fairly simple. We were able to do it without support from the vendor. It took us approximately two days to get it up and going.

Our ISP had to set up a DNS NET at the time it was deployed.

We handled the implementation in-house after purchasing it from a reseller. It was myself, and I had some assistance from our ISP at the time of the deployment.

There are three or four of us who handle the management and administration.

The cost of this solution is based on the size of the product that you buy and the number of users. In our case, it is just based on staff.

Our licensing fees are approximately $4,000 per year, and this includes updates for the antivirus and spam signatures. They are always trying to keep up with the spammers.

We were looking for something that was easy for us to deploy and would work. We did evaluate at least one other solution before selecting this one.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product. It works, it's reliable, and it's helpful. We feel that it is worth the money that has been spent on it.

Overall, the product is effective, but the scalability is limited.

SYED AMIN - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Systems Administrator - Microsoft & LINUX at TCS Private Limited
Handles filtering well and helps with the recovery of unintentionally deleted email
  • "This appliance has helped in that we now eliminate the thousands of scams, spam, and malware emails that are destined for our users."
  • "Two improvements that are needed include an enhancement in the proxy feature, as well as the ability to more fully automate patches and updates."

What is our primary use case?

As a large organization, we require a powerful email spam filter and an email security gateway. This is our primary use case for Barracuda Email Security.

How has it helped my organization?

This appliance has helped in that we now eliminate the thousands of scams, spam, and malware emails that are destined for our users. It also helps if a user has deleted an external email by mistake because we can retrieve it from the appliance and re-send it to them.

What is most valuable?

The features that we find most valuable are spam and virus protection. Another is the protection against e-mail spooling. Also, if the email server experiences an outage then we can see the status of all spooled emails, and whether an email has been re-delivered.

Three to five years.

In my experience, this is a stable product.

Customer support is good. They act promptly in response to any issues or error.

We did not use another solution in the past.

The initial setup for this appliance is not complex. It is very easy to configure and deploy.

We used a vendor team to implement this solution the first time, and we found them to be very capable with a very high level of expertise.

The price of this solution is very high, but it's working fine.

We did not evaluate options other than this one.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to secure your network then you must acquire a spam filter and virus firewall. In my opinion, Barracuda is the best choice.

Network Manager with 1-10 employees
Filters through our emails and blocks threats that would've previously come through to our network
  • "Before this solution, we didn't have any separate feature for protecting our emails. We used to only have a firewall but now we have email security. It has a graphical interface and we can see the log every time. We can see that the performance is fine."
  • "We had an incident where we didn't want to receive any emails or spam from a certain site and email address. We selected the mail ID, and we send it to Barracuda for analysis to see if it's spam or something like that. As of now, we haven't gotten any update or notification as to what happened with it."

What is our primary use case?

We use this as our email security gateway for the protection of the emails.

How has it helped my organization?

Before this solution, we didn't have any separate feature for protecting our emails. We used to only have a firewall but now we have email security. It has a graphical interface and we can see the log every time. We can see that the performance is fine.

What is most valuable?

The complete filtering feature for all of the emails is valuable for us. It filters all of the emails. There are lots of attacks that come to our network through emails and it does a good job of blocking that.

What needs improvement?

We had an incident where we didn't want to receive any emails or spam from a certain site and email address. We selected the mail ID, and we send it to Barracuda for analysis to see if it's spam or something like that. As of now, we haven't gotten any update or notification as to what happened with it.

I would like to see there be better implementation.

Compared to web stability, email stability is better.

The initial setup was quite straightforward. The set up is not too complicated. The deployment only took a few hours.

We used a consultant who is partners with Barracuda for the deployment.

License prices are okay.

What other advice do I have?

We have 250 - 300 users.

This product is good more any medium-sized company that uses email.

I would rate it an 8.5 out of ten. Not a ten because there is room to improve. They can do more with their R&D.

Technology and Information Systems Manager at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
Blocks emails and they will resolve which ones need to be released so long as there's no malware in them
  • "With the cloud service, one of the nice things about Barracuda is the quarantine service. It gives the ability for our users to go in and check what has been quarantined, and then connect with our IT staff to release anything that should be fine so that we can test it before we release."
  • "There's a bit of configuration work that's needed with the DNS service provider, but other than that, everything else should be very smooth."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is really for spam and malware, in and out of the organization.

How has it helped my organization?

Barracuda will block emails, then they talk to my support people and they resolve which ones they need to release, as long as there's no malware or anything in them. On the cloud service, each user can go in and release their own emails, but it still gets tested before. The only ones that are released are the ones that have nothing that's considered to be dangerous, containing spam information or malware. They can release a mass email that is clean.

What is most valuable?

With the cloud service, one of the nice things about Barracuda is the quarantine service. It gives the ability for our users to go in and check what has been quarantined, and then connect with our IT staff to release anything that should be fine so that we can test it before we release.

More than five years.

Stability is very good. We haven't had any issues in terms of downtime or anything as yet since we got the service.

For our needs, it's definitely very scalable. They have much larger organizations on that service as well. Everyone in my organization uses it. All my email goes through a filtering process.

Their technical support is very good.

We did the research and looked at what we wanted to do. At that point in time, Barracuda was the most effective solution.

The initial setup was straightforward and very easy. It was easy in terms of the cloud service. As part of the process, they walked us through the implementation and the migration from our on-prem appliance to the cloud service. A lot of our rules and all that we had tied up, made on our on-prem appliance, they migrated it over to the cloud service, so we didn't really have to do too much in terms of setup. The entire deployment took around a week by the time we tested everything out.

We first set up a small group to test it out first to make sure everything seemed to be working the way it should be. Once we were convinced that everything was fine, we ran the two services in parallel, one behind the other. When we were happy with the way things were running, we turned off the appliance and went full tilt with the cloud service.

It requires one person who does part-time maintenance because there's really not much to do once you apply this.

We worked with the onboarding team at Barracuda.

For overall value and cost, Barracuda came in as most appropriate, price as well as services provided. In terms of price, it's average . It's not the most expensive, it's not the least expensive but it works well.

What other advice do I have?

We never had an issue with Barracuda. It worked flawlessly. Updates were regularly downloaded on the appliance itself, and we would get an email saying that the latest version is there and they would ask if we wanted to install it. Then my administrator would go in and check it out and install the application service. It did it automatically and there was always a backup process. The support was very good with them as well if we ran into any difficulties, so that wasn't an issue.

I would advise someone considering this or a similar solution to make sure that you know all of the email domains that you have within the organization. Make sure that they are set up. There's a bit of configuration work that's needed with the DNS service provider, but other than that, everything else should be very smooth. The team at Barracuda helps walk you through the process and the pitfalls as well.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. There are two more portions that we haven't implemented yet. It's really just apply and forget. It does the work itself. We've had some times when certain things come through, but once we apply the proper whitelisting or blacklisting, we get it all sorted out again. Spam and all that are moving targets as well.

Syed Ubaid Ali Jafri - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of Cyber Defense & Offensive Security at Habib Bank Limited
We have evaluated more than eight products of known vendors, and out of eight, we decided on this one.

What is most valuable?

The Anomaly-based spam detection is a very good feature of Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall, since it not only keeps track of the Anomalies, but also protects and notifies any illegitimate attachments, content, as well as the suspicious source from which an email is arriving/contained in the email.

Another important feature that organizations are looking for is the Integration with LDAP and Active Directory. This Device has a capability to easily integrate with the AD connected with the Exchange environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Based on a true case, we had been receiving emails from different countries on a bulk scale containing malware.

Before the installation of Barracuda, we were only able to identify the threat on the Endpoint level, but after installing the Spam Filter, it keeps track of each and every activity done in an email.

What needs improvement?

Two things:

1) The backup and recovery of the rule set stored in the device.

2) In denial of service condition, the events-per-second flow creates little jerk in term of delay.

When we are considering the enterprise security, we are interested in adding the additional controls in the environment. Barracuda device has a weak distinction‎ in its backup and recovery

Let me share a practical example: We have a Barracuda installed in a primary and backup location, it's difficult to include the exact configuration of a primary device to backup device, it has a time constraint ‎and effort based work. This area should be considered, as Barracuda has established their good appearance in the market.

Another area that should be considered for improvement ‎is the constant DoS attacks and bulk messages in the form of spam appearance on the device.

In a case of denial, condition on a ratio of 1200 to 1800 events per second would downgrade the performance of the device.

This was my practical role in testing the capability of this device, apart from the above two areas of improvement, this device has marvelous results in term of capacity, content, sources, and attachments.

I've used this solution for two years.

Not yet.

Not yet.

Best.

Lack of technical support and very delayed responses in the case of an incident.

Straightforward, even easy to install.

Pricing options should be considered by the Barracuda management, as per country market research. They should consider the economy and the country-technology ratio.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest implementing Barracuda Spam, because this solution has a multi-factor threat analysis engine, which other products don't have.

Download our free Barracuda Email Security Gateway Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: December 2022