Azure Network Watcher OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Azure Network Watcher is the #26 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools. PeerSpot users give Azure Network Watcher an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Azure Network Watcher is most commonly compared to PRTG Network Monitor: Azure Network Watcher vs PRTG Network Monitor. Azure Network Watcher is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.

Download the Network Monitoring Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2023

What is Azure Network Watcher?

Azure Network Watcher provides tools to monitor, diagnose, view metrics, and enable or disable logs for resources in an Azure virtual network. Network Watcher is designed to monitor and repair the network health of IaaS (Infrastructure-as-a-Service) products which includes Virtual Machines, Virtual Networks, Application Gateways, Load balancers, etc. Note: It is not intended for and will not work for PaaS monitoring or Web analytics.

Azure Network Watcher Video

Azure Network Watcher Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Azure Network Watcher pricing:
  • "Price-wise, I have no information on how much Azure Network Watcher costs."
  • "The price of the solution is reasonable."
  • Azure Network Watcher Reviews

Sr Devops Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Beneficial monitoring, useful application insight, and reliable
    • "The most valuable feature of Azure Network Watcher is using the gateways with the connections. The monitoring is useful for the logs and application insights into the data. The traffic filtering issues when it comes to deploying those applications are helpful."
    • "The solution could improve by limiting the need to clarify the logs. When the clarification is minimized, it is better for everyone involved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Azure Network Watcher to monitor logs or conditions in the cloud services.

The main purpose is to monitor the logs. Once the services are deployed to the cloud, we will primarily check for any log failures or diagnose any issues with the services we have implemented. Additionally, we will enable logs for virtual networks, specifically for virtual machines where we create the services. By enabling these logs, we will be able to closely monitor for any log failures.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Azure Network Watcher is using the gateways with the connections. The monitoring is useful for the logs and application insights into the data. The traffic filtering issues when it comes to deploying those applications are helpful.

Azure Network Watcher allows for the isolation of network segments, where you can apply filters to the logs. This allows for more organized monitoring of the networks and the ability to deploy firewalls. It also includes features such as connection and time limits for monitoring, as well as the ability to create a dedicated virtual machine network for logs. This allows for more efficient monitoring and the ability to avoid connection limits and set specific times for monitoring client requests.

What needs improvement?

In a future release, it would be helpful to have a monitoring tool that can have
    a pictorial representation of all the logs. This way people can understand exactly what the issues are visually.

I have been using Azure Network Watcher for approximately four years.

January 2023
    Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Paessler AG, Nmap and others in Network Monitoring Software. Updated: January 2023.
    670,400 professionals have used our research since 2012.

When it comes to the stability of Azure Network Watcher, other monitoring tools have high availability, and Azure Network Watcher allows for maintaining stability as well. I use Splunk and other tools for monitoring. This is because, while Azure Network Watcher is mainly for monitoring Azure services, Splunk is more comprehensive and can be used for monitoring things outside of Azure as well. In terms of stability, the initial setup may take some time, but overall Azure Network Watcher is a good option when compared to other monitoring tools in terms of stability, scalability, and reliability.

I rate the stability of Azure Network Watcher eight out of ten.

As a DevOps Azure cloud service provider, our team consists of seven to eight people. Currently, I am working with Capgemini America on a project for State Farm. Our team is divided into smaller teams, each working on a specific product such as home insurance, auto insurance, and fire insurance. While each team works independently on their respective products, we do not combine efforts for a single team project.

In order to ensure high scalability, we use Kubernetes for scaling. Kubernetes has been effective in maintaining high scalability and preventing any issues with client technology. There may be times when services become low, and in those cases, we need to work harder to increase the Kubernetes ports to achieve high scalability.

During times of high usages, such as during the COVID pandemic, it becomes important to closely monitor logs to address any issues that may arise. In these situations, client-side issues such as crashes may occur and it becomes necessary to quickly increase the number of ports and maintain scalability. This can be a time-consuming process and may cause disruptions if not addressed promptly.

I rate the scalability of Azure Network Watcher an eight out of ten.

I do receive support from them Azure Network Watcher. At times, I have difficulty and I am not proficient in all areas. During those times, if there is an urgent requirement from a client or a need to submit a set of logs, I seek technical support. Even now, I may encounter trouble and seek assistance from others.

There are complexities involved in using the solution, I find it challenging to complete the task within the given timeframe. During those times, I seek assistance from my team and technical support to help me overcome these difficulties. I often turn to team members who have more experience and a strong understanding of Azure Network Watcher for guidance and support. This has been helpful in addressing the challenges I face.

I rate the support from Azure Network Watcher an eight out of ten.

Positive

The initial setup involves navigating and signing into the portal and creating the necessary resources for the Azure Network Watcher. This process of creating the resource may take more time initially, but once it is set up, it will be easy to manage incoming services. This will involve creating a virtual network and a separate resource group.

I rate the initial setup of Azure Network Watcher an eight out of ten.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others Azure Network Watcher is a useful tool for monitoring virtual machines, application gateways, load balancers, and networks. It provides advanced and precise monitoring of clients or jobs. It's a good tool for monitoring, but there are other ways to monitor. Specifically, when compared to other monitoring tools, Azure Network Watcher is better in terms of stability and availability for our use case. It is a reliable monitoring tool.

I rate Azure Network Watcher a nine out of ten.

Senior Cloud Network Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    MSP
    It has good scalability, and it has a packet capture feature that tells you how the packet travels and whether it's exiting the environment
    • "What I like most about Azure Network Watcher is that it's focused more on the architecture. I also like that it has a packet capture feature that tells you how the packet travels and whether it's exiting Azure, etc."
    • "I still use Wireshark and Azure Network Watcher to get the required data. My team captures the traffic from Azure Network Watcher, downloads it, then imports that traffic into Wireshark to get more details on the number of hits and replies, for example. If you can do that on Azure Network Watcher and have Wireshark built-in, that would make Azure Network Watcher better. If Azure Network Watcher has that functionality where you won't need a third-party tool to get what you need, that would be helpful. I'm also expecting more from Azure Network Watcher. It's more complex than knowing how the IP flows from its source to the destination. The tool also needs more open-source features, such as having some built-in Wireshark that improves monitoring for customers. Sometimes, you encounter a VPN tunnel, network, or routing issue, but finding out more about the blockage is challenging. Is it one hundred percent an Azure issue? Is it a peer issue? You don't get complete information from Azure Network Watcher, so you must use other tools and depend on your strategies to resolve a specific issue. If more features could be added in the next release of Azure Network Watcher, specifically ones you can find on open-source tools, then that would be a plus point for the tool."

What is our primary use case?

We use Azure Network Watcher when troubleshooting VPN connections to know whether the ports are enabled. By default, architecture will be available at the backend, so Azure Network Watcher will show you how these units and all other components connect.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about Azure Network Watcher is that it's focused more on the architecture.

What needs improvement?

I have one year of experience with Azure Network Watcher.

For now, I can't comment on how stable Azure Network Watcher is because I still need more exposure to it, stability-wise.

Azure Network Watcher has good scalability.

My rating for the technical support for Azure Network Watcher is seven out of ten because it needs improvement.

Neutral

Setting up Azure Network Watcher is straightforward because whenever you deploy Azure VNet, you also get the Azure Network Watcher by default.

Price-wise, I have no information on how much Azure Network Watcher costs.

What other advice do I have?

I have a little experience with Azure Network Watcher but more experience with infrastructure-related solutions such as Azure Network Watcher. I also have experience with application gateways, load balancers, firewalls, open gateways, etc.

Right now, a limited amount of people use Azure Network Watcher within the company. The tool comes with VNet by default, but most people here don't know that the Azure Network Watcher is available, so it's a tool that needs to be leveraged more. It has a few limitations when compared to other tools. Users who are very new to Azure wouldn't be aware of the existence of Azure Network Watcher compared to people used to Azure.

My advice to others looking into using Azure Network Watcher is to go for it, as you'll have the tool by default when you're subscribed to Azure VNet.

I'm rating Azure Network Watcher as nine out of ten overall.

My company implements Azure Network Watcher and other Azure infrastructure for customers.

January 2023
    670,400 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Cloud Solution Architect at KlayyTech
    Stable and provides good visibility, but the setup is complex, and graphs should be more granular
    • "It provides good visibility."
    • "The initial setup and deployment could be improved to be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for traffic monitoring. For example, when you want to see requests or inspect packets within your cloud network, to see how the traffic is flowing, or how the traffic and the packets are being transmitted from one host to another, and from one source or resource to another.

How has it helped my organization?

To connect a virtual machine or if you want to monitor the communication between a VM and certain endpoints, we have to specify the endpoints to fully qualify the domain name. It determines how the traffic is flowing.

At the end of the day, it should show you this map or graph resource about your current setup, on how traffic is flowing within your network or your environment.

This will help the company or the administrator, by helping them see how the traffic moves, to make sure that no entities are having any communication issues or different endpoints with task issues. It can help them also spot which endpoints should not be communicating to others. This is the value of the Network Watcher.

What is most valuable?

I like that it delivers. It does the job.

It provides good visibility.

What needs improvement?

I don't find it that appealing.

It's not the most friendly or straightforward to set up. For me, it's not that appealing that I want to go ahead and set it up each time.

I don't see the value versus the way you have to set it up at first.

The initial setup and deployment could be improved to be simplified.

From my perspective, this is something that should be out of the box, available, and given. I don't see why there is a need to set it up.

The experience should be there, the servers or the insights, they should be readily available out of the box, once you start setting up your environment on Azure.

The setup is a huge part of what needs to be better, as well as the view, or the graph could be improved. Microsoft has the capability to enrich it and to make it look more granular.

I would like to see a graph with simple diagrams and richer information.

I have used it or known about it for between four and five years. I rarely use it, but I know it pretty well.

Azure itself is pretty stable, but It depends on the different resources on Azure. For example, if the resources on Azure are not stable, then it would become unstable as well.

It's not a server that scales in a way that, when the traffic comes or there is heavy traffic or loads, it scales. You just monitor the traffic within your environment. I don't see how scalability applies.

I have not had to contact technical support regarding Network Watcher.

It's not that is complex, however, for the sake of what it does, yes, I would say it's complex.

It could be a lot easier. It could be a much simpler experience, especially when you can set up a whole infrastructure with a couple of clicks. I don't see why you have to perform so many steps or very specific steps with Network Watcher.

I don't remember the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Azure Network Watcher a six out of ten.

Sami Esber - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cyber Security Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Great for monitoring device behavior and everything from a network perspective
    • "The solution is good for monitoring device behavior."
    • "Lacks sufficient security features."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a cybersecurity consultant working for government agencies and we are Microsoft golden partners.

What is most valuable?

The solution is good for monitoring device behavior or the network cards and everything from a network perspective.

What needs improvement?

The solution could use some additional components of the network culture, not only VMs. I'd like to see some additional security features because what they currently have concentrates only on the network. As we have SOC, we should also have NOC.

I've been using this solution for two years.

This is a stable system providing stable performance.

This solution is scalable as are all Azure products. Azure Firewall, for example, will automatically extend if there is any issue.

As a Microsoft golden partner, we have very good technical support. If I open a ticket, I might get a response in five or 10 minutes depending on the urgency of the problem.

The initial setup is straightforward.

This is an expensive solution suited to enterprise organizations. A small company won't be able to afford Network Watcher.

What other advice do I have?

For a multinational company or a high enterprise organization, I believe Azure is the best way to go. If you don't need everything this product provides or it's not suitable for the size of your company, you can use a free solution and save money on licensing fees.

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Madhukar N - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. Azure DevOps Cloud Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
    Helpful database security, good support, and beneficial cloud-native application firewall
    • "The most valuable feature of Azure Network Watcher is the cloud-native application firewall. It is helpful for securing databases."
    • "Azure Network Watcher could improve by having other built-in applications. For example, an application to log activities for in and outbound traffic."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Azure Network Watcher for remote access security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Azure Network Watcher is the cloud-native application firewall. It is helpful for securing databases.

What needs improvement?

In a future release, the solution should have better firewall settings.

I have been using Azure Network Watcher for approximately two years.

Azure Network Watcher is a stable solution.

This is a stable solution.

We have four to five people in our organization that use the solution.

We are using the solution when workloads increase or if activities require it.

The support from Azure Network Watcher is good.

I rate the support from Azure Network Watcher a four out of five.

Positive

I have used many different services and I have not found many differences between them besides the price.

The initial setup of Azure Network Watcher is not easy and it is not difficult, it is in the middle range of difficulty. The full deployment can take a couple of hours to complete.

I rate the initial setup of Azure Network Watcher a four out of five.

The price of the solution is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Azure Network Watcher an eight out of ten.

Sr IT Engineer / Manager at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    A good solution that is stable and makes it easy to view logs
    • "The solution is stable."
    • "Azure is good, however, the Fortinet GUI is more intuitive and I like it more than anything else."

What is our primary use case?

Network Watcher allows you to see the logs to see what's going in and what's going out. You have got to set it up to see that, however, I haven't played much with it. That's why I was looking for something more granular, something that I'm more used to, like the FortiGate Firewall.

What is most valuable?

I've used it to get some logs and see what's going on to the network, however, that's about it.

The solution is stable.

Overall, the solution seems to be pretty good.

What needs improvement?

I've used the solution for maybe a year or so. I haven't used it for that long just yet.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I also use Fortinet products.

I cannot recall what the initial setup was like. I cannot speak to how easy or difficult it was.

I'm currently looking at FortiGate Firewall, which I have a better understanding of and is much more granular.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Microsoft partner.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Ben AmaraSeif Alah - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cloud Architect Azure at Thales
    Straightforward and basic deployment, with excellent features, and high reliability
    • "The most valuable features I have found are typology, visualization, and capture."
    • "I would like to see in the future if we can troubleshoot as a firewall because it is equipment as a network player and some diagnostics."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for troubleshooting some traffic between BMs for example, or from on-prem to the cloud. Because typically in my organization we have many layers of traffic and many energies.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features I have found are typology, visualization, and capture.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see in the future if we can troubleshoot as a firewall because it is equipment as a network player and some diagnostics. It would be even helpful if we can improve Azure Network Watcher to have some scope to identify missing rules.

I have been working with Azure Network Watcher for more than five years now.

We have high reliability.

There is scalability and we currently have two hundred subscriptions.

The initial setup was straightforward and not complex. We have created an automation feature that allows for minimizing any delayed deployments.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Azure Network Watcher an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
    Download our free Network Monitoring Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Paessler AG, Nmap, and more!
    Updated: January 2023