IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

AutoSys Workload Automation OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AutoSys Workload Automation is #6 ranked solution in top Workload Automation tools. PeerSpot users give AutoSys Workload Automation an average rating of 8 out of 10. AutoSys Workload Automation is most commonly compared to Control-M: AutoSys Workload Automation vs Control-M. AutoSys Workload Automation is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 81% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 30% of all views.
AutoSys Workload Automation Buyer's Guide

Download the AutoSys Workload Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is AutoSys Workload Automation?

CA Workload Automation is an enterprise scheduling solution for the automation of IT processes in a heterogeneous environment. It automates and delivers millions of mission-essential services across thousands of companies worldwide. With the CA team and expert community, you get so much more than software. Work with us to get to mission-accomplished—every second of your business.

AutoSys Workload Automation was previously known as CA Workload Automation, CA Workload Automation AE .

AutoSys Workload Automation Customers

Gaumont, Mercantil do Brasil, CCEE, Hanwha Life

AutoSys Workload Automation Video

AutoSys Workload Automation Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AutoSys Workload Automation pricing:
"The pricing needs to be improved. Some of my client's complained that it was too expensive."

AutoSys Workload Automation Reviews

Executive Director at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mature, reliable, scalable, and helpful for orchestrating jobs
  • "It is very valuable for us when we are trying to arrange or orchestrate jobs into a system. It is helpful for triggering jobs for a scheduled task."
  • "We are trying to see if we can use this from a cloud perspective with AWS, Azure, and other clouds, but it seems that there is no cloud integration in this product. We would like to see cloud integration. We are very pleased with this solution, but we are moving our application to the cloud, and we found out that it doesn't support any cloud features. So, we are trying to find a replacement."

What is our primary use case?

We use AutoSys to run our scheduled jobs. In terms of the version, I am probably using version 14.

How has it helped my organization?

This type of tool is essential for a data group in terms of how we pick up data from different things and vendors, and how we set up the workflows to do all the jobs. Without it, we can't imagine how we would run all the jobs. If we need something to run on a daily basis, we can use AutoSys to fully automate it. We don't need to have a dedicated resource to look at a job and ensure that it is completed. AutoSys simplifies our life.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We are trying to see if we can use this from a cloud perspective with AWS, Azure, and other clouds, but it seems that there is no cloud integration in this product. We would like to see cloud integration. We are very pleased with this solution, but we are moving our application to the cloud, and we found out that it doesn't support any cloud features. So, we are trying to find a replacement.
AutoSys Workload Automation
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about AutoSys Workload Automation. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using this solution for more than 10 years.

It is quite mature. It is pretty good.

We are using AutoSys for very large-scale deployment, and it is very scalable. It is capable of handling 10,000 jobs on a daily basis. It is very good. We have more than a hundred users, and it is being used at the corporate level. We are trying to use something like this in the cloud. I don't think we are going to expand the usage of AutoSys because we are thinking of moving to the cloud. We are trying to see which solutions provide similar functionality but support the cloud environment.

Their support is very standardized. The application has been out there for quite a long time, and the skillset is generally available in the market. It is a very mature product, and we require very little support. I don't remember ever contacting their customer support or client support team for any major issues or downtimes.

I have been using this solution from day one in this organization.

It depends on the experience. For me, it is very straightforward. In a simple setup, you set up a server, a database, and an agent, and you are ready to go. In a complicated setup, you have to set up high availability, virtual machines clusters, etc. We have a dedicated group to handle all top-level applications. This is relatively straightforward for them. From planning to implementation and getting it into the production environment, it takes a month or two.

We did it ourselves. To get it rolling and to maintain it, we have a very small team with less than five people. They are just regular developers.

What other advice do I have?

This product has been bought by Broadcom, and Broadcom does not have enough dedicated resources to further develop this product. I don't see any major features, versions, or functions being added to this product in the future. I don't think the vendors would be willing to spend resources on top of it. I would rate it a nine out of 10. We really like the product and its functions. It works, and we like its stability, scalability, and robustness. It is a very reliable product, but it lacks future enhancements. We haven't heard of any cloud initiative for this product.

Problem and Technical Application Management for KNAB at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Scalable, fast, easy to use and always available
  • "The features that I have found most valuable with AutoSys are that it is scalable, easy to use, fast, and always available. That's very important because if it's not steady then it's a real problem. So, at this point, we are satisfied with it."
  • "In terms of what should be in the next release, I want integration and AI and so on. I'd like easy reporting where you can compare information, for example, "that job normally takes three minutes and last time it took six minutes or 10 minutes." Then you can get the information to the engineer of which job is taking more time than normal - understanding strange behavior compared to the baseline."

What is our primary use case?

In our case, it's just managing the day and night jobs of banks because we are supporting several banks in Europe.

The company I'm working for is an outsourcing company who provides solutions for customers. We host their complete environment.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

If you do not need the latest features like cloud and compare, I would really advise using AutoSys. For future technologies, I cannot answer the question yet.

In terms of what should be in the next release, I want integration and AI and so on. I'd like easy reporting where you can compare information, for example, "that job normally takes three minutes and last time it took six minutes or 10 minutes." Then you can get the information to the engineer of which job is taking more time than normal - understanding strange behavior compared to the baseline.

I have been using AutoSys Workload Automation for nine years.

We are not using the latest version. We are planning a migration towards the latest version or a migration to another tool. Most likely, because of the lifetime of the environment that has to be supported, we will probably migrate to the latest version because it's often easier if you stay with the same product.

We have several customers at this moment and AutoSys is used by one bank. In fact, it's not like real end-users are touching the tool. It is doing its job during the night and it is only for one application including the bank application, so it's not connected to its final end users, so you scale all the toolings which are available in the bank environment. We only focus on the core banking.

The technical support is very good. If you open a case, the support is really sufficient.

AutoSys Workload Automation is really easy to install. You can install the server and an agent in about 10 minutes. It takes the agent on five clicks. Even if you have many agents to install during installation, you can pick that very easily and you also can deploy it fairly easily. In terms of the deployment, it's a nice solution.

Normally you can do it by yourself unless you're running into situations where the newest version is working slightly differently than the previous version. Sometimes you need to adopt some parameters, but they provide you sufficient support for that. The deployment can be done by one guy. One system engineer can handle the job.

AutoSys Workload Automation has a yearly subscription.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, for the part that we are currently using, I can give AutoSys Workload Automation an eight.

I would recommend this product for other users who want to start using it depending on their needs. I'm still investigating what the new version provides in the future, based on technology, so it is difficult to answer that question.

AutoSys Workload Automation
July 2022
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Fernando Romero - PeerSpot reviewer
Assistant Manager at Accenture
Easy to set up, reliable, and expandable
  • "The initial setup is easy."
  • "We had a few issues, however, the issues were more on the infrastructure rather than with the application itself."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to run different jobs across different servers.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is easy.

It's a stable product.

The solution can scale.

What needs improvement?

There should be easier migrations from a different bus scheduler. Prior to this workload, we were using BMC control M and the migration was really hard. We had to manually create the jobs and there was no sort of automation for the migration. Workload Automation could improve the handling of file transfer jobs. Compared to control M, control M allows multiple file transfers. It can have five types of files that can be transferred. They have different file formats or different sizes. You can configure it in control M. Here, you only have one and three for file transfer. A lot of times you also encounter issues with SSL crypto in conflict on certain jobs. Basically, the newer servers have newer security measures and currently, the product is not compatible with them.

I've used the solution for seven years.

The solution is stable. there are no bugs or glitches. It does not crash or freeze. It's reliable.

We have 60 people using the solution.

It's scalable. It can expand as needed.

We've used technical support. We find them very helpful and responsive and are satisfied with the level of service we get.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I find it simple to set up. However, the fear really is understanding how Workload Automation handles jobs as compared to control M. They have similarities, however, they handle schedules and jobs differently.

At the moment, we have a team of two or three handling the support for the product.

We handled the implementation ourselves, although we did request an overview of the installation and setup process.

If you looked at the client price, I'd rate the cost five out of five.I heard from recent talks with support that they removed the licensing scheme that we had before. Maybe the rating would be lower now. Before they had this unlimited installation of agents across and service. They've since removed that scheme.

We did not evaluate other solutions. It was the client's position to use this product as they were offered a good deal. At that time, we were using control M and I was initially hesitant due to the challenges I saw in terms of how the product handles the jobs. The client already decided on the solution and we just had to learn to love it.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the solution at the request of a client.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Enterprise IT Management Consultant with 51-200 employees
Granular Security enables self-service role-based access. There are still too many screens and the use cases need to be handled in a more "compact" way.

What is our primary use case?

A strong aspect of our current use case is to provide integration with the Zeke mainframe scheduler and enable cross platform job dependencies between the two worlds.

How has it helped my organization?

Self-Service can enable the support team to move from being a bottleneck to being the go-to team for expertise and advice and to focus on maintaining the infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

Granular Security enables self-service role-based access. JIL language is always a big accelerator for creating/editing job flows efficiently.

Great at handling timezones and daylight savings adjustments.

What needs improvement?

Despite the commitment of the development team to improve the UI since version 11.3, the WCC module still lacks true quality. There are still too many screens and the use cases need to be handled in a more "compact" way. I have not seen the v12 product yet.

Note that this product is now a legacy product with a dwindling user base and support.

Do not consider for a green site implementation

We've been using v11.3.6 for years, and the tool in general since 2006.

We've had no issues with the stability.

We've had no trouble scaling it for our needs.

The user conference used to be a great way to catch the attention of the development and product management team. Sadly, these are a thing of the past.

Technical support has noticeably gone down since the Broadcom takeover of CA. A lot of the knowledge base is now on line and the expectation is that users self-support with that. The level of depth that the support organisation provides is not as deep as previously. We have not experienced any emergency situations though, so can't comment on that.

The initial setup was not hugely complicated, but do set aside four to six man-months if you are not using specialist services. The product does require some careful thinking around the High Availability and security sides. Thorough qualifications testing is recommended for a scheduler, too.

If you don't buy competence, you will need to build it internally which takes time. The recent versions of the product are a lot more complex than the relatively simple 4.0.

Legacy product with dwindling user base and support.

What other advice do I have?

Get some specialist help if you don't have internal knowledge.

This product is now legacy.

Head - Consumer Insurance at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Provides a real-time view of batch processing and the ability to connect different software processes
  • "It gives a real-time view of all the batch processing that we have. Monitoring-wise, it is really good."
  • "I am not sure whether it is our limitation or a tool limitation because we haven't yet explored it, but whenever we look for different types of reporting, we have some limitations in getting those. It could be because of the way we have set it up internally in our enterprise, but it would be helpful if we can customize the reporting features and some of the alerts that can go out. When we connect enterprise systems, each one looks for a different use case, and if we can get different types of reporting, it will be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

It is being used for all the ETL processing and batch processing that we have in the enterprise. It is being used for automated file processing. We get the file from the mainframe.

What is most valuable?

It gives a real-time view of all the batch processing that we have. Monitoring-wise, it is really good.

It also gives us the ability to connect different software processes.

What needs improvement?

I am not sure whether it is our limitation or a tool limitation because we haven't yet explored it, but whenever we look for different types of reporting, we have some limitations in getting those. It could be because of the way we have set it up internally in our enterprise, but it would be helpful if we can customize the reporting features and some of the alerts that can go out. When we connect enterprise systems, each one looks for a different use case, and if we can get different types of reporting, it will be helpful.

My team has been working with AutoSys for the last 10 to 15 years.

It is stable.

It is used pretty much across all enterprise areas. We have six or seven business units with more than 10,000 people who are using this solution. Application-wise, close to 500 applications are using this solution.

We don't directly interact with their tech support. We have our own team for tech support. We are at the end-user level, and we request our team to set up our processes.

It is straightforward once we know the process. For its maintenance, we have our own team that manages the solution. We are the end-users, so we don't get involved in its maintenance. They just tell us about the downtime on some weekends, and they take care of upgrading the solution.

We have been using it for a long time, but now we are looking at some of the cloud solutions. We are moving a lot of processes to the cloud, and the features for the cloud are being investigated.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of 10.

IT consultant at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
User-friendly, beneficial task monitoring, and helpful support
  • "The most valuable features of AutoSys Workload Automation are the file transfer protocol and file watcher. The solution has a user-friendly user interface. It is very simple to use. You have a scope of all your jobs, jobs are what you call tasks that you will automate in the solution. It lets you monitor everything in these jobs."
  • "AutoSys Workload Automation could improve in the Linux environment. The previous versions of the AutoSys Workload Automation let you take the profile of the user that you were using to run the tasks that you're going to automate, but in the latest versions, you can't do that, you need to make more definitions and it's a little bit difficult. It was easier in the previous versions."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of AutoSys Workload Automation are the file transfer protocol and file watcher. The solution has a user-friendly user interface. It is very simple to use. You have a scope of all your jobs, jobs are what you call tasks that you will automate in the solution. It lets you monitor everything in these jobs.

What needs improvement?

AutoSys Workload Automation could improve in the Linux environment. The previous versions of the AutoSys Workload Automation let you take the profile of the user that you were using to run the tasks that you're going to automate, but in the latest versions, you can't do that, you need to make more definitions and it's a little bit difficult. It was easier in the previous versions.

In an upcoming release, AutoSys Workload Automation could include more integrations capabilities. I have seen other tools that have native integrations with other tools, such as Docker and other services in the cloud. They are not taking this into account in AutoSys Workload Automation.

I have been using AutoSys Workload Automation for approximately two years.

We have approximately 15 administrations who use this solution, but the tool is made to work for all the infrastructure of the organization, we could have more users.

The technical support is great, they have helped us a lot.

The initial configuration of AutoSys Workload Automation was simple. When you need to make a migration from previous versions or from other tools, it's easy. There are some complexities, but it is not something that is impossible, it can be very simple.

What other advice do I have?

I rate AutoSys Workload Automation an eight out of ten.

Technology Consultant (AWS Certified) at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A scalable solution for scheduling, initiating and executing business processes

What is our primary use case?

My clients mainly use this solution for server workloads — work process flows around the deployment of servers, etc

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has made my clients' workplaces a lot less labor-intensive.

I have been using this solution for the past few months.

It is pretty stable from my understanding. I haven't heard any complaints about a run maintain.

AutoSys Workload Automation is very scalable. My clients were mainly large organizations and they never had any complaints about the scalability.

I never had to contact technical support so I cannot comment on that.

The initial setup is quite straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to negotiate thoroughly on the price.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

Batch Scheduling DTS, Service Delivery Lead at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable and scales well, but the graphical interface needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the products that we implement for our customers. AutoSys is primarily used for scheduling CP jobs, file transfer, and other miscellaneous jobs.

What needs improvement?

The graphical interface can be improved.

I have been working with AutoSys Workload Automation for the past five years, but not on a regular basis.

AutoSys Workload Automation is a stable solution.

This is a scalable product and we have about 50 users. We are planning to increase our usage in the future.

Since Broadcom acquired this product, the technical support has not been as good. They should really be faster and more knowledgeable.

The agent package and the other package should be more user-friendly to install.

I provide support on this product for our customers.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Download our free AutoSys Workload Automation Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022