IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Aruba ClearPass OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Aruba ClearPass is #2 ranked solution in top Network Access Control (NAC) tools. PeerSpot users give Aruba ClearPass an average rating of 8 out of 10. Aruba ClearPass is most commonly compared to Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine): Aruba ClearPass vs Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine). Aruba ClearPass is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 59% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 25% of all views.

Download the Network Access Control (NAC) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Aruba ClearPass?

ClearPass Policy Manager provides secure network access in a world made up of mobile and IoT devices. It features ultra-scalable AAA with RADIUS and uses contextual data based on every user and device to enforce adaptive policies for wireless, wired or VPN access.

Aruba ClearPass was previously known as Avenda eTIPS.

Aruba ClearPass Customers

Consulate Health Care, Los Angeles Unified School District, Science Applications International Corp (SAIC), San Diego State University, KFC, ACTS Retirement-Life Communities

Aruba ClearPass Video

Aruba ClearPass Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Aruba ClearPass pricing:
  • "The price of Aruba ClearPass is expensive. When you want to build redundant systems it can be seen as necessary, so the enterprise will manage all of those costs."
  • "It is affordable. In Lebanon, companies are small, and they do not have a big budget. They cannot invest a lot of money, and Aruba ClearPass is quite affordable for them."
  • "The licensing model is very straightforward. There are two types of licensing for Aruba ClearPass, a perpetual license, and a subscription. Both of them are straightforward. We don't need to read an ordering guide, it's very clear."
  • "The pricing is not bad and everything is included."
  • "The starting price of Aruba ClearPass is 200k Hong Kong dollars. The licensing is based on the endpoints. For example, 100 - 500 end points."
  • Aruba ClearPass Reviews

SvenVenables - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Technical Engineer at EOH
    Easy to use, multifeatured, and reliable policy management platform for identity authentication and new device onboarding
    • "The most valuable thing about Aruba ClearPass is its ease of use. It has always been a very reliable and very stable policy management platform."
    • "TLS authentication onboarding in Aruba ClearPass needs to be improved. The biggest problem we've seen in our environment is Huawei not being able to get onto Google Play. No Huawei device can be onboarded via Aruba ClearPass easily."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients use Aruba ClearPass for identity authentication on their local area network and their Wi-Fi. For one of our clients, we're using the OnGuard function for health checks, and we're also using the Guest Captive portal.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable thing about Aruba ClearPass is ease of use for security policies, as it has a much better granular configuration on policies for security. It also allows us to do certain functions which we would not be able to do without Aruba ClearPass, particularly with mobile devices and security. The platform has helped us in a lot of ways where there are aspects that we are limited to, and can't be done in our environment without the server.

What needs improvement?

The only area that really needs improvement in Aruba ClearPass is the onboarding for doing TLS authentication. The biggest problem we've seen in our environment is Huawei not being able to get onto Google Play. No Huawei device can be onboarded via Aruba ClearPass easily. An additional feature we'd like to see in the next release of Aruba ClearPass is for its OnGuard function, its health check function. We'd like it to have the functionality for installing or copying files that are required for remediation on health checks. For example: if you're using Aruba ClearPass and you do a health check, if the client is missing a file or a particular product such as an antivirus product, we would like the opportunity to have the files copied or installed in the platform, because currently there are some limitations when you want to do remediation. If the client is missing a file and you want them to install a specific application, we have to provide an HTTP download so they can download the file for the remediation to work. What I would like to see is a bigger storage area in Aruba ClearPass so we can upload those files in the platform, rather than having those files in an external server for downloading, because we've had huge problems with doing remediation to locations that require an HTTP download. What we'd like is having the ability to put the applications on Aruba ClearPass directly, to make the remediation steps for clients when they're missing software, to get those directly from the platform, because currently, you can't put a big file onto Aruba ClearPass as there are size limitations.

I've been using Aruba ClearPass continuously within the last 12 months.
    Network Access Control (NAC)
    July 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Aruba Networks, Cisco, ForeScout and others in Network Access Control (NAC). Updated: July 2022.
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Aruba ClearPass has always been very reliable. I've always been well-impressed with it as it's a very stable product. The only problems I've experienced with it was because of people doing something else and causing Aruba ClearPass to malfunction. For example: people deleted authentication sources out of the platform without letting us know that they've deleted those authentication sources, creating problems on Aruba ClearPass because they changed the configuration. I've been working directly with Aruba ClearPass and I've not had any problems with it, it usually works properly. If no one changes anything, it works.

Technical support from Aruba has always been fantastic, especially the support for Aruba ClearPass. I usually get responses from their technical team very quickly, especially for any T1 call. I've never experienced a problem with the technical support for Aruba ClearPass. They've always been exceptional.

Setting up Aruba ClearPass is complex. It's a complex installation.

What other advice do I have?

I work with Aruba ClearPass and Aruba Wi-Fi, and we do have clients who use Aruba ClearPass with their Cisco equipment. I'm an ACPP professional on Aruba ClearPass, so I work with a few clients who use the platform. I've been working with version 6.9.9 of the platform. I'm scoring Aruba ClearPass a ten out of ten. If I can score it higher than ten, twelve for example, I would, because it's that good. It's an unbelievable system and it unlocks a lot of limitations on Wi-Fi and LAN, in terms of security.

Network Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Beneficial extra security, useful authentication mechanisms, but under interface needs improvement
    • "The most valuable features of Aruba ClearPass are the authentication mechanisms and the integration with Active Directory(AD)."
    • "Aruba ClearPass could improve the user interface, it is a bit chunky."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Aruba ClearPass for 802.1X and backup indication.

How has it helped my organization?

Aruba ClearPass improved security across a diverse network, which is countrywide. It provides extra security so that anybody that gets on the network, belongs there, we know those that have allowed access to the network, get access to the network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Aruba ClearPass are the authentication mechanisms and the integration with Active Directory(AD).

What needs improvement?

Aruba ClearPass could improve the user interface, it is a bit chunky.

I have been using Aruba ClearPass for approximately 18 months.

Aruba ClearPass is stable in my usage.

I have found Aruba ClearPass to be scalable.

We have hundreds of users in different locations using this solution.

I have not used the support from Aruba ClearPass.

I have not used a previous solution.

Aruba ClearPass was installed into the cloud and had the resiliency working. Then we had a test lab environment where we rolled out the configurations, to test it, and then we rolled out the overall configuration for all of the switches and access points around the network. The whole process was straightforward. The whole process took approximately three months from start to finish.

The implementation was done in-house. We used three people for the process.

I felt we did not get a return on investment.

The price of Aruba ClearPass is expensive. When you want to build redundant systems it can be seen as necessary, so the enterprise will manage all of those costs.

There are additional costs because we have implemented it into a cloud environment, there are costs associated with the cloud environment. We didn't go with appliances.

I did some research before choosing Aruba ClearPass. I looked at open NAC and some of the other proprietary systems.

What other advice do I have?

There are additional features that we haven't used, such as fingerprinting and guest reception type scenarios. There are other features we haven't implemented and there's no reason to implement them at this stage.

Planning is the most important aspect of getting started before implementing Aruba ClearPass. Don't jump into it, you need to plan. You need to understand what you're trying to do and plan it and then start off in a small, safe environment for rollout. Once you've tested all the scenarios and it works completely for each one, then roll it out over a long period of time to ensure that the user experience is good.

I rate Aruba ClearPass a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
    Network Access Control (NAC)
    July 2022
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Account Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Provides good visibility and security, and is affordable and highly scalable
    • "The visibility and security features are most valuable. We get a clear view. It is a very secure product for educational institutions."
    • "The improvement can be in the cloud area. They can improve it for the cloud so that we can deploy it on the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We are a gold partner of Aruba. We have deployed it in different educational institutions. It is mainly being used by the students. They onboard their mobile devices on ClearPass so that they can use them securely, and the IT team can have more visibility on the product. This is the main use case for ClearPass.

What is most valuable?

The visibility and security features are most valuable. We get a clear view. It is a very secure product for educational institutions.

It is very user-friendly. It is easy to configure and use. The dashboard is very intuitive, and it can give you a very clear view. You can see all the students and all the onboarded devices on the dashboard.

What needs improvement?

The improvement can be in the cloud area. They can improve it for the cloud so that we can deploy it on the cloud.

In terms of new features, I don't have anything in mind, but Aruba is always working on new features. They are doing releases every quarter or six months.

We have been working with Aruba products since 2004. We are one of the oldest partners of Aruba in the Middle East. We've been working with ClearPass for 10 years.

It is very stable.

It is highly scalable. You can start with a couple of users, and you can scale up to 10,000. We have a deployment of 25,000 users in one of the biggest universities in Lebanon.

They are really fast and highly knowledgeable.

It is really easy to set up. It is very user-friendly and easy to configure.

It doesn't take a lot of time to deploy and configure ClearPass. It takes about a week or a maximum of 10 days for the whole deployment.

It is affordable. In Lebanon, companies are small, and they do not have a big budget. They cannot invest a lot of money, and Aruba ClearPass is quite affordable for them.

What other advice do I have?

ClearPass is one of the best solutions we have ever worked with. It is very stable and secure, and it has a lot of features that an institution can benefit from.

I would easily rate it a nine out of 10.

Rana Shahid - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business Development Manager at gwc networks
    Good support, highly scalable, and helpful for tracking the complete user activity in the network
    • "We are mainly using Aruba ClearPass for our clients for securing access to their on-premise assets. As per customer expectations, we are trying our best to track the complete user activity in the network. This is the main and the core feature we require."
    • "In the next version, I would like to see some enhancement or extension on the tracking side. For example, when any user enters the network, it should be more visible in the graphical form."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator, and we are a prized reseller and a partner of Aruba and Fortinet. Usually, our clients send a request for network access control type of issues. So, we are fulfilling these types of requirements with the help of Aruba ClearPass and Fortinet FortiNAC.

What is most valuable?

We are mainly using Aruba ClearPass for our clients for securing access to their on-premise assets. As per customer expectations, we are trying our best to track the complete user activity in the network. This is the main and the core feature we require.

What needs improvement?

The user interface of Aruba ClearPass should be user-friendly like Fortinet FortiNAC.

I have been using this solution for almost two years.

It is a very stable solution.

It is a completely scalable solution.

Aruba's technical support is much better than other vendors.

It is not easy, but it is also not complex. Anyone with some amount of implementation expertise can easily implement it.

The number of people required depends on the requirement. If the requirement is not big and the customer is an SMB, then one or two implementation engineers are enough for implementation. If the customer is an enterprise customer with a big network, you might need more than two or three implementation engineers.

The deployment duration depends on a client's assets. For a client with 400 or 500 assets, two to three weeks would be required. If the network is very big, it can take one month.

What other advice do I have?

To all those who plan on using Aruba ClearPass, I would advise having clear expectations in terms of solution capability and functionality. They should include all the features that are available by default in Aruba ClearPass. These are very interesting features.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Senior Manager Network Design at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Beneficial protocol support, helpful technical assistance, and reliable
    • "A lot of the issues in Forescout are mitigated in Aruba ClearPass, it supports all the expected protocols."
    • "Aruba ClearPass has fewer deployment scenarios and flexibility than Forescout."

What is our primary use case?

Aruba ClearPass is used for enforcing certain security policies all around the organization, it covers certain security policies, which is in turn, is deducted from the business requirements. You start with a security policy, then you need technology to enforce it, this is where Aruba ClearPass is used.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Aruba ClearPass has fewer deployment scenarios and flexibility than Forescout.

I have been using Aruba ClearPass for five years.

Aruba ClearPass is reliable.

I have found Aruba ClearPass to be scalable.

I have approximately two clients with 400 users each, giving a total of 800 users using the solution.

Aruba ClearPass has a very good technical support team. Whenever we need the vendor to be involved, we find a good deal of technical support.

I have used Forescout and I would rate Aruba ClearPass second best.

The initial installation is simple. The deployment could be better since it has fewer capabilities than other solutions, it could be more flexible.

We have a dedicated engineer for Aruba ClearPass when it comes to deploying and support of the solution. One engineer is enough for my client's environment.

The licensing model is very straightforward. There are two types of licensing for Aruba ClearPass, a perpetual license, and a subscription. Both of them are straightforward. We don't need to read an ordering guide, it's very clear.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others if they have a certain use case. If there is a lot of Cisco environments that need to be implied under the security policy, then ClearPass is the right solution for them. It supports a wide range of Cisco technologies and Cisco protocols.

I rate Aruba ClearPass an eight out of ten.

Assistant Lead Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Straightforward to deploy, easy to use, and the support is quick
    • "The interface is very easy to use and the workflow is quite straightforward."
    • "The licensing model could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is network access control at the endpoints.

What is most valuable?

The interface is very easy to use and the workflow is quite straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The licensing model could be improved.

We have been working with ClearPass for about two years.

This is a very reliable and robust product and we plan to continue using it

We have not yet had to scale or add features, but I think that it's going to be easy. We currently have about 10,000 endpoints.

The support is good and they are quite fast. We have not had many issues.

I have experience with Cisco ISE and ClearPass is much easier to use. Because it is so complicated, we were having a lot of issues with it.

The initial setup is straightforward and easy to do. It took less than a week to deploy.

We purchased this solution together with the Professional Services, so the vendor set it up for us.

The pricing is not bad and everything is included.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and I can recommend it. There is really nothing bad that I can say about it, although I do think that they should work on changing the licensing model.

Technical Department at Telenor Comunicaciones
    Versatile and stable solution
    • "The aspect of Aruba ClearPass that I like most is that it has a lot of options, it is very versatile."
    • "The initial setup was quite complex, it is not that easy."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for security.

What is most valuable?

The aspect of Aruba ClearPass that I like most is that it has a lot of options, it is very versatile.

What needs improvement?

One thing that could be improved in Aruba ClearPass is that we would like to have an option to recognize all the assets on the customer's site in one click. That is an easy way of recognizing all the assets on a customer site. We would like an easier way of recognizing the assets of the network so we could know in which VLAN we want to configure the port or the suite and which policies apply to that port. We'd like ClearPass do that automatically.

We first installed ClearPass about two years ago.

In terms of stability, it is quite stable.

One a scale of one to five, I would give the scalability a three. It is not scalable enough.

The technical support is good.

The initial setup was quite complex, it is not that easy.

It took maybe two weeks. It takes a long time because it depends on the customer's industry or location or on the user's computers. It's not that fast normally.

Aruba ClearPass is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten I would give Aruba ClearPass an eight.

It is a good solution for applying security to the network. I would recommend it.

Head Of Consulting Services at Eastech Systems Limited
    Scalable, helpful support, but user training needed

What is our primary use case?

Aruba ClearPass could be deployed on-premise in the cloud.

What is most valuable?

Aruba ClearPass is a simple solution for customers to see what is happening on their network.

I have been using Aruba ClearPass for approximately five years.

Aruba ClearPass is used for our clients to control and access their network.

Aruba ClearPass is stable.

I have found Aruba ClearPass to be scalable.

We have approximately three to four clients that are using this solution.

The support has been good for our customers.

Aruba ClearPass is complicated to install. Before our clients can use the solution they typically do a POC and we loan them some equipment for them to test with.

The projects from negotiation to acceptance take approximately three to six months.

The implementation can improve because it is challenging to explain some of the concepts to the client.

We do the implementation of the solution, and the time it takes for us to do the deployment depends on the customer's size.

The starting price of Aruba ClearPass is 200k Hong Kong dollars. The licensing is based on the endpoints. For example, 100 - 500 endpoints.

There is a subscription for the support from the vendor that can be bundled together.

The solution can be expensive because you might have to train the customer.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Aruba ClearPass a seven out of ten.

Download our free Network Access Control (NAC) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Aruba Networks, Cisco, ForeScout, and more!
    Updated: July 2022