IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Apigee OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Apigee is #1 ranked solution in top API Management tools and top API Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give Apigee an average rating of 8 out of 10. Apigee is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure API Management: Apigee vs Microsoft Azure API Management. Apigee is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
Apigee Buyer's Guide

Download the Apigee Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Apigee?

Apigee is a platform for developing and managing APIs. Apigee offers an interface for your core services by wrapping them with a proxy layer which is then accessed by other developers. With Apigee, you can design and build APIs and then securely share their services and data without exposing any code.

Because app developers make HTTP requests to an API proxy rather than directly to your services, your services are separated from the developers. All the developer needs to know is the URL of the API proxy endpoint, necessary query parameters, authorization credentials (if they exist), and the response data format.

The API proxy isolates the app developer from your backend service. Therefore, you are free to change the service implementation if the public API remains consistent. By maintaining a consistent frontend API, existing client apps will continue to work regardless of changes on the backend.

Key capabilities of the Apigee API management platform include:

• Security: Protect APIs, messages, and backends with configurable policies such as OAuth, API key verification, XML/JSON threat protection, and access control.

• API gateway: Secure and mediate the traffic between clients and backends, and between a company’s APIs and the developers who use the APIs.

• Developer portal: Attract and engage application developers, enabling them to discover, explore, purchase, and test APIs and register to access and use the APIs.

• API console: The console helps developers learn and work with APIs.

• API lifecycle management: Manage the process of designing, developing, publishing, deploying, and versioning APIs.

• Automated documentation: Automate the development of API documentation and software development kits.

• Machine learning: Utilize machine learning and analytics to generate actionable insights and reports.
  • API monitoring: Apigee offers monitoring tools for API troubleshooting, security, and optimization.

Reviews from Real Users:

Apigee stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Several major ones are its rich developer portal, its advanced analytics, and its central monitoring system.

Carlos R., a software architect at Caja Los Andes writes, “The central monitoring feature is the most valuable. It also provides security for the APIs and high availability for our use cases. Apigee is the best product in the industry in comparison to other API management solutions. It helps in fast development, which is a top point. It also supports a lot of industry standards and has excellent documentation.”

An associate vice president at a tech services company notes, “The analytics function and the developer portal are the two valuable features of Apigee. The analytics part is very good, and the developer portal is quite rich in features. The authentication mechanisms are quite easily built into Apigee, which is something that most of the other products have also now started supporting.”

Apigee Customers

Adobe, advance.net, Amadeus, AT&T, Bechtel, Belly, Burberry, Chegg, Citrix, Dell, eBay, Equifax, GameStop, First Data, Globe, HCSC, Intralinks, Kao, Meredith, Mitchell, Orange, Pearson

Apigee Video

Archived Apigee Reviews (more than two years old)

Tolulope Adeniji - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Lead - Integration/Middleware at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to configure the API with restricted access for different clients but their support is lacking
  • "It's a good return on my investment."
  • "The number one area this solution could be improved is by implementing support. Support is not a part of this solution."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is to integrate both external applications as well as internal applications. We use some to integrate other applications, but most of them are just proxies that are for fronting the backend APIs.

How has it helped my organization?

We want to create one API to be used by different clients. In terms of management, even though the proxying of an API is not a lot of work, it is better to create a single API that can be reused. When the API version changes, you only have versioning for a single API, rather than in several places with the same capability. Moving forward, if you change or update the version, the underlying functionality of the application needs to fashion the APIs correctly. This solution is created for the same capability. To prevent that, we just create the same API, and then we productize it and you are versioning a single API and not going back and versioning different APIs that do the same thing.

What is most valuable?

One of the concepts offered with this solution is called Productization. This concept allows you to bundle the APIs together and present them to clients as products, which allows you to configure the API with restricted access for different clients. An example of this would be Client A is granted access as read-only and able to do a few updates, whereas Client B would have full access to the APIs. You can configure different products for them in such a way that one of the products would have limited access, and the other would be granted full access. You are not creating another API, rather you are using the same proxy with limited access to the proxy. This is one of the features that has helped us a lot.  We have APIs that we use internally and externally for clients outside of our network using the cloud with a SaaS solution that needs to access our API. The same API we use internally is the same API we expose externally. The level of security is different for internal applications and for external applications. To accommodate both we use the same API but add additional security features to the APIs.

What needs improvement?

The number one area this solution could be improved is by implementing support. Support is not a part of this solution.
Apigee
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Apigee. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been using this solution for three years, it was purchased in 2017.

I think that this solution is pretty stable, but when the open-source vendors upgrade their software, Apigee doesn't conform with the upgrade of the open-source vendor. They require patch releases and an upgrade for on-premises users. The component is always late.

I think it's pretty scalable. Currently, we are doing about sixteen million calls per quarter. As we are not using it on a large scale, we don't usually have latency issues whatsoever. We have a clustered environment and there is little to no downtime, even when we are running patches on the operating system. We have between twenty-five and thirty regular developers that use this platform. We have four nodes in the cluster that are serving internal traffic, and then we have another four nodes for external traffic so that way we don't really require any upgrade. At this time there is no immediate need to scale up the environment. We have four servers with four nodes in the cluster that service the internal traffic, and we have another four gateway nodes for the external traffic.

The support is lacking. One of the main reasons it is lacking is because they have different applications bundled together. As an example, they are using Apache ZooKeeper and Drupal from different open-source vendors. We have two critical security updates that require support. A claim had been opened in May and did not receive any support. Compared to other vendors that we deal with, I would have to rate this solution a five or less in terms of support.We are currently looking for other alternatives because of some issues we are facing. We believe that they do not want to continue with their on-premises version of the product, as they are not responsive to support cases.

We have MuleSoft, but we are only using their ESB, not API management. Apigee is the first solution we are using for API management.

The initial setup is not straightforward. It is very complex. They use different open-source applications in this solution. When installing this solution you have to be knowledgeable in the different applications, what the different applications do, and how they behave with each platform. The documentation they have available is very good and available online. Using different applications bundled together in this single product makes the maintenance and installation a challenge.

The deployment took three months. We had many different environments including development, test, QA, and production environments. For the QA and production environments, we had both an external and an internal gateway. We did this ourselves in conjunction with the Apigee team. Most of the maintenance is being done by two of our offshore colleagues in Chennai, India. They maintain the platform.

It's a good return on my investment. In the past, we were struggling with the way we would interface with external clients, where we would open a firewall and do many network-level configurations before we were able to open an API. Now everything goes through Apigee and we only open the first ones for Apigee. After that, all other communication goes through Apigee.

We evaluated three different products, including API management from Apigee, API management from CA, and MuleSoft. This evaluation was three years ago, and at that time the Apigee platform was more mature than other platforms.

What other advice do I have?

For on-premises I would not suggest this solution. Generally speaking, the product is a good one, it is matured and the features are okay. If anyone wants to use this solution they should first consider the cloud-based version. Because the support is lacking, we would have considered a different product. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten. If the support was better, I would have given them a nine.
Enterprise Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Easy policy creation, and a straightforward initial setup
  • "The ease of creating policies has been the most useful of the solution's features. It's a quick ramp-up time. It's easy for our support staff to implement the policies in the API management layer."
  • "The company needs to better support webhooks. It used to support webhooks and their policies and they have since stopped. They had some issues in the product and they abandoned the support for them. It's not come back since."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as API Management, as both proxy and security.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our company's time to market. When we deploy a policy for a particular API, the creation of the policy and the gateway is significantly faster than what we were doing with our Layer 7 gateways. It's easier to develop the policy and to walk through the policy using the Apigee interface.

What is most valuable?

The ease of creating policies has been the most useful of the solution's features. It's a quick ramp-up time. It's easy for our support staff to implement the policies in the API management layer.

What needs improvement?

The company needs to better support webhooks. It used to support webhooks and their policies and they have since stopped. They had some issues in the product and they abandoned the support for them. It's not come back since. Webhooks are still used by some of our production partners. It would be nice to see the support for them come back. Right now, we have to pull the API instead of using a webhook to do the notification.

I've been using the solution for three months.

With Apigee, there are frequent updates, so they seem to have a very strong user base.

There's a lot of users in Layer 7 too, but we've had some bad experience with support from the company. Stability-wise, it's hard to say. I don't think we've had any bugs associated with the gateway itself where the gateway has failed, but we've had support issues from Layer 7.

In comparison, Google and Apigee have done a fantastic job supporting their product.

Scalability wise, I've heard from some customers that Apigee has some limitations on scalability, but we haven't experienced those as of yet.

As far as Layer 7 is concerned, it seems that the policies are very deterministic as to how the actual gateways function. Some of them have had a significant impact and we've had to scale up their clusters just to support a minimal load. Some are disappointed with the number of services that we have to engage for Layer 7, and the number of clusters we've had to create. We've had to create a pretty large cluster for supporting some applications.

The Layer 7 gateway's front end is for a high-end brand product. We have the largest loyalty program in Canada. Our PC Optimum program, for instance, uses our Layer 7 gateways. There are 14 million users that use the PC Optimum card that goes through those gateways.

The initial setup of Apigee is straightforward. Google/Apigee gives us all the information to support their private owned clouds. The interface is very straightforward to use as well. It's a lot easier than the Layer 7 product.

CA was overly complex in its configuration. CA also does significantly more as far as security and policies are concerned. It has developed a huge number of policies into their product. It's way more than what I would expect an API management product to be. It took us two months to set up the solution.

We basically took the policies from Layer 7 that we had previously created and we transformed them to policies for Apigee. That was fairly easy.

In terms of deployment, we haven't transformed totally from Layer 7 yet to Apigee. Our support is very low on Apigee right now. There's only one person that's working on Apigee currently. It's minimal. Accenture is handling the support, as they did for CA. We had about five people supporting the gateways on Layer 7.

For Apigee, we had the assistance of an integrator. The company was Accenture, and we have a good working relationship with them. They're currently supporting the platforms in many facets. The deployment was straightforward, so they didn't need to do too much.

There was no specialization or skill required for them for Apigee, but there was with Layer 7.

We looked at a couple of other vendors. We looked at offerings by Red Hat and some others. We basically looked at the market leaders.

From an enterprise point of view, our digital division had already migrated to GCP. GCP uses Apigee by default. They had selected Apigee initially. That was one factor in choosing Apigee over CA. Another factor is that it would support on-premises and it would support our Azure environment as well. The ease of use, creation of the policy, and the developer portal experience were all factors. The fact that developers could easily create the policies themselves without having to get our administration staff or engineers to actually create the policies was a big factor as well.

What other advice do I have?

Right now, we are still in the process of testing the solution. We're using both on-premises and cloud versions.

CA has developed a sort-of enterprise service spot inside of their API management platform. It does interesting things with files, and it has a lot of security features that are not normally used in a majority of API calls. It's overkill. Its portal is very clunky and very difficult to set up. Its gateways and its policies are not straight forward either. It basically requires a three-day class to understand how to get in and add policies and it's not very simple to add policies into the CA Layer 7 gateway. Apigee does a way better job.

CA is also owned by Broadcom now and when that transition happened, Broadcom did a lousy job of handing off support of that product. They basically fired everybody from CA. They left us without production support for a good part of a year. We've had CA for about 2 years and mostly we used the on-premises version, but we had a small amount on the cloud as well.

Because of these reasons, we're moving away from Layer 7 to Apigee.

In terms of advice to those considering using Apigee versus CA, I'd say they need to understand their use cases for APIs.

I would rate Apigee eight out of ten.

In comparison, I would rate CA five out of ten.

Apigee
July 2022
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Suresh Natarajan - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal Architect & Lead, Software Engineering at AT&T
Gives us easy to map back-end version services and additional security and policies can be adopted

What is our primary use case?

This solution provides us with a good gateway for API Management and versioning. It gives us easy to map backend version services, and additional security and policies can be adopted.

How has it helped my organization?

We are achieving five thousand TPS (Throughput per second) on peak load, and managing thousands of proxies against K8s cluster services.

What is most valuable?

I have found the most valuable features to be tracing a proxy, and managing proxy versions and revisions via the Edge UI component.

What needs improvement?

Drag and drop of features would be more beneficial, rather than manually working on the configuration and updates.

it_user682638 - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Architect with 11-50 employees
It is a stable product, but I suggest using the SaaS version

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for exposing API's to the digital platform and for B2B.

What is most valuable?

I think it is the most functional tool on the market. The security is a valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

Apigee on premise is quite complex and it is always moving faster. I would advise anyone who is interested, to use the SaaS implementation.

Less than one year.

I have not encountered instability with the product.

I do not have experience with tech support.

Executive Advisor, SOA Enterprise Services at Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
User
Allowed us to convert from SOAP to RESTful patterns

What is our primary use case?

API gateway tool and management of API solutions. This tool is extremely helpful for discovery, self-service of API solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

• Allowed us to convert from SOAP to RESTful patterns
  • Improved security/throughput/management
  • Throttling is also useful as well as management console tools to track performance.

What is most valuable?

• API gateway tool
  • API developer tool
  • Visualization tools to measure and manage the performance of APIs.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a long-term direction for the overall architecture (similar to what WSO2 has done), in that all three areas — pub/sub, events, and APIs — are treated as part of a continuum, instead of treating each as separate topics.

Three to five years.
Shawky Foda - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Technical Consultant at Masterworks
Builds API proxies for securing targeted back-ends with an emphasis on CI/CD

What is our primary use case?

We use it to build API proxies for securing targeted back-ends with an emphasis on Continuous Integration/Continuous Development (CI/CD).

How has it helped my organization?

It has been a potential source of mission-critical customers.

We expect to gain new business opportunities upon providing Apigee services to customers.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like them to add features, such as caching and mediation policies.

Less than one year.
    it_user803505 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Product Manager at Near BPO
    User
    Accelerates development and deployment processes

What is our primary use case?

It is a platform for the publication of API services, access control, limiting the use of resources, and monitoring consumption.

How has it helped my organization?

• Identifies services which are most consumed.
    • Identifies possible risks.
    • Improves productivity.
    • Accelerates development and deployment processes.

What is most valuable?

• Developer portal
    • Apigee Sense
    • Analytics
    • Microgateway

What needs improvement?

• Predictive analysis of consumption
    • Identification of attacks
    • Identification of operational errors

Architect at a tech vendor
    Highly scalable from any initial topology to horizontal extension
    • "Highly scalable from any initial topology to horizontal extension"
    • "Easy interface to monetize and deliver APIs with very easy integration for third-party development environments/delivery."
    • "Technical support model for OPDK should be more exposed and mature in terms of providing support during installation, run, and debug of Apigee in production on OPDK mode."

What is our primary use case?

Ease of use during development, deployment, discovery, and usage of Developer portal.

A mature end-to-end model for API distribution and revenue earned through monetization.

How has it helped my organization?

One unified solution for different LOBs. Easy interface to monetize and deliver APIs with very easy integration for third-party development environments/delivery.

What is most valuable?

• Flexible setup
    • Pricing and license cost for end-user delivery/ distribution model
    • Both on-premise and cloud deployment models are available.
    • Highly scalable from any initial topology to horizontal extension.

What needs improvement?

Technical support model for OPDK should be more exposed and mature in terms of providing support during installation, run, and debug of Apigee in production on OPDK mode.

Trishit Nag - PeerSpot reviewer
    APIGEE API Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It has a very efficient logging system, but deploying revisions need to be more defined
    • "It has a very efficient logging system which is easy to maintain."
    • "Apigee Analytics dashboard is useful to monitor transactions, error percentage, transaction latency, etc."
    • "Maintaining and deploying revisions need to be more defined."

What is our primary use case?

I use Apigee Edge to develop and maintain proxy services on REST/SOAP web services. I also monitor transactions over Apigee Analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

I develop proxy services for other vendors.

Apigee is very fast in transferring requests and responses between Northbound systems to Southbound systems. It has a very efficient logging system which is easy to maintain.

What is most valuable?

There are many features, which I have felt are very useful and easy to implement at flows.

Below are some of the points that I would like to highlight:

• I like Service Callout, JSON/XML Threat Protection, and JavaScript callout policy. I find them very useful.
    • I found Apigee Analytics dashboard very useful for monitoring.
    • Private cloud architecture
    • Management APIs are very useful, because we can execute them from our server only.

What needs improvement?

Maintaining and deploying revisions need to be more defined.

It would be better to have access to the PostgreSQL Database Tables on monetization.

it_user684582 - PeerSpot reviewer
    API Management lead architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    The Edge engine provides powerful, integrated analytics, which are noteworthy
    • "API/proxy lifecycle workflow for API providers is quite good and one of Apigee's strongest features."
    • "Proxy versioning seems a bit confusing/buried in the publishing experience, especially for the URI-based versioning approach."

What is most valuable?

API/proxy lifecycle workflow for API providers is quite good and one of Apigee's strongest features. Also, like the completeness of the CLI and admin REST services, the Edge engine provides powerful, integrated analytics, which are noteworthy.

What needs improvement?

Initial setup was not trivial for customer-managed topology.  Proxy versioning seems a bit confusing/buried in the publishing experience, especially for the URI-based versioning approach.

Not in production, we are still evaluating.

Nothing serious; just a bit complex.

We currently use WSO2 API Manager version 1.9x in production, but the solution is no longer meeting our needs.

If you deploy a 6-node+ topology, there are many steps required for initial setup. I feel most of this setup complexity is limited to the initial install, and the future auto-scaling of the gateway workload will be an easier/smoother experience

Setup was done by an internal team with some coaching by the vendor.

it_user689625 - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Services at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It has helped our organization through data monetization

What is most valuable?

• API security
    • Lifecycle management
    • Analytics

How has it helped my organization?

Data monetization.

What needs improvement?

Development IDE, especially for Architect Review.

15 months.

Not on Apigee Edge, but few on BaaS.

No issue with SaaS version.

A five out of 10.

Yes, scalability was an issue with the earlier tool.

The SaaS version setup is easy. On-premise version seems to be bit complex.

Pricing options need to be chosen on a case-by-case basis.

Yes. AWS API, 3Scale, and CA Layer 7.

What other advice do I have?

Implementation success would depend on having a good API architecture and design, using analytics, and following best practices of the lifecycle management provided by tool. Technical implementation should support DevOps, too.

Tibco Administrator at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Helps link products, developer, developer apps, and API proxies creating efficiency and reliability
    • "A special feature is configuring target servers, proxy config, and Cert related security, which regularizes incoming traffic from cloud users or external applications to internal applications in a secured manner."
    • "Areas like traffic handling of incoming requests, security features between third-parties and Apigee, and between Apigee and internal network servers, resources, or JSON areas, etc."

What is most valuable?

I have worked on Apigee Edge and Apigee Dev Portal. Specifically, in Apigee Edge, the elements like products, developer, developer apps, and API proxies are interlinked with each other. Another special feature is configuring target servers, proxy config, and Cert related security, which regularizes incoming traffic from cloud users or external applications to internal applications in a secured manner.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides secured incoming connections with data and cloud-based API functionality, which results in efficiency and reliability.

A full year.

It's user friendly and no issues encountered with stability. Sometimes it may go down due to notified maintenance activity.

No, we can add any quantity of all utilities such as users, API proxies, developers, their apps, etc.

Four out of five.

Previously worked with physical box type solutions. Now using Apigee for API based connectivity along with cloud level access.

It's straightforward, and looks at security configuration, environment setup, etc.

Since it was acquired by Google, we can get a license based on our requirements and the cost level will depend on cloud access and support.

Yes. Analysed features like pricing, support, functionality, background analysis in market, cloud connectivity, etc.

What other advice do I have?

It's a high-end API product acquired by Google. It has lots of functionality and can easily handle technical resources.

it_user693855 - PeerSpot reviewer
    SAP/APIGEE Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    The portal gives you good control on the documentation, content delivery, and developer onboarding.
    • "They capture the details of all the incoming and outgoing traffic of your APIs. Based on 300+ default dimensions you can generate beautiful and insightful reports on usage and consumption of APIs."
    • "Since it is based on various open sourced projects, we might have to depend on the fixes provided by those components rather than Apigee directly fixing the issues."

What is most valuable?

Apigee has many features in their feature bucket. When you get in touch with their sales team for sure you’ll get to know these :). Some which I liked most and which makes this product stand out are:

Developer portal

It is a Drupal-based portal for onboarding of developers and catering your API documentation. They have this feature called Smart Docs, which allows developers to not only get to know the API documentation but directly make the request and see the response. They have the ability to consume OpenAPI specs formerly know as Swagger Spec. Considering the fact that it is based on Drupal, the portal gives you damn good control on the documentation, content delivery, and developer onboarding. With a little customization, you can integrate any kind of workflow into this portal.

Monetization

Monetization is another good feature which provides a revenue model around your APIs. Many of the enterprises are looking for these kinds of options, get their offerings as API and generate revenue out of it. Apigee provides a complete end-to-end solution for monetization of your APIs. They have different revenue models and packaging models such as freemium, hit rate, revenue sharing and your custom models based on your transactions criteria. Get to know this in more details at http://docs.apigee.com/monetiz...

Analytics

This another great feature of the platform. They capture the details of all the incoming and outgoing traffic of your APIs. Based on 300+ default dimensions you can generate beautiful and insightful reports on usage and consumption of APIs. This can also be used to find out performance and errors troubleshooting. They have default reports for proxy performance, target performance, error analysis, cache performance, latency analysis, developer engagement and traffic composition. On top of these, you can generate custom reports based on the dimensions captured by Apigee.

Another feature of analytics is that you can add your own dimensions and do business analytics on top of API analytics. Being acquired by Google, we can expect that Google will add some good features around it or maybe they will push this component to Google’s analytics engine. All of the analytics data is exposed as APIs so you can consume this in your programs and develop any kind of workflows or applications around it. Dig into it at http://docs.apigee.com/analytics-services/content/analytics-services-overview.

BaaS

BaaS is based on Apache’s Usergrid, which provides a back end as a service. This is a No-SQL database and gives you ample flexibility with a RESTful interface for data storage. Apart from being a data store BaaS also has features, such as push notification, geolocation, docial graphs and RBAC user management. This is a wholistic back end for any mobile app. Get to know more on this at http://docs.apigee.com/app-ser...

How has it helped my organization?

This platform has opened the doors for a different line of business altogether. We are now able to monetize our features and deliver them easily through APIs. Since the advent of mobile and IoT, we are focusing on providing an easy interface for third parties and developers, and Apigee has given us a head start in that direction.

What needs improvement?

The installation and management of this product are still a clumsy task. They are developing the monitoring feature based on influx DB and Grafana, but it still has a way to go before it can be used in a production environment. The documentation for OPDK on different component integration is not available or not sufficient. Since it is based on various open sourced projects, we might have to depend on the fixes provided by those components rather than Apigee directly fixing the issues.

I have used this product for more than 2 years.

I have worked with versions 14.16.05 to 14.17.01. The latest version as of this writing is 14.17.05 which brings in many good features and some fixes and security patches. The details of this version can be found out at their release notes page. http://docs.apigee.com/release-notes/content/apigee-release-notes

This a stable solution as long as you don’t meddle with the topology of your installation. You have to follow the strict start and stop sequences in case you need to add or remove some nodes.

This is an easily scalable product based on your needs and loads on the system. Almost all components can be scaled horizontally which gives it an edge over other options available in this domain. However, you will have to make sure that you follow the guidelines and strict steps, as documented by Apigee, for adding or removing the nodes for a specific component.

Technical support is really good, as long as you provide them complete details and causes of system failure. If you are a cloud customer then you might not have to deal with support as frequently, but for OPDK customers you either need to have your own technical team to manage your infrastructure or get one of the service providers to do it for you. Apigee provides complete operational and developer training programs, though they will charge you good money for these.

I haven’t quite used any other product in API domain other than Apigee. Although I have worked once with Akana, it was for a different use case altogether.

The setup is completely dependent on what you choose. If you go for the on-cloud version there is no setup needed. Within a week your API development will kick in and you can see the system live.

But for OPDK customers this will be a tedious task. They have some pre-requisites such as firewalls that need to be opened and, based on what topology you want, what is your expected use of the platform and how you want to mold it as per your enterprise security guidelines. These will govern the installation and initial setup of the platform.

Based on your usage of the APIs you can take a decision to go with either an on-cloud or OPDK version. Get in touch with the sales representatives of Apigee.

For on-premise, they usually offer Enterprise plans with different licensing options. Apigee also has a tie-up with SAP where SAP sells Apigee on-premise and On-cloud versions. Apart from rebranding SAP, it also adds some security from the SAP software delivery front. If you are looking to get an API platform and have Apigee as an option, then do evaluate your usage and requirements, as Apigee provides great features based on your requirements.
    Check out the pricing and features details at https://apigee.com/api-management/#/pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Set goals for future enhancement and extensions as this platform provides a lot of features that you can leverage to build different lines of business. Start with a small or medium scale topology and, based on the analysis of platform usage, you can always scale it to your need.

Apigee is among the leaders in API platforms. They have been in the API field since the time it was introduced. Constant innovation and introduction of new features into the product faster than the competition makes them one of the leaders. Also, now that Apigee is part of Google, we can foresee a good road map ahead for this platform. For sure, Google will have their input regarding the features and will try to make it more compatible with Google’s existing infrastructure such as Google Engine and Google Cloud Platform.

API Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    The APIGEE SaaS offering is quite stable.​
    • "The following features are most valuable: API Management, Analytics, Quota, and the Developer Portal."
    • "Role-based access management needs to be improved. It would also be nice if the solution could be integrated with code versioning systems like Git/Bitbucket."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

Being an employee of a service-based company, we have implemented the product for different customers.

What needs improvement?

I have used this solution for more than 2 years.

The APIGEE SaaS offering is quite stable.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

On scale of 1-10, I would rate technical support 8.

No, I have not used any other tools.

The on-premises setup is really complex.

As most of the customers say, the tool is a bit expensive.

I did evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

The tool is good, easy to use, and has good customer support.

Download our free Apigee Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022