We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Alteryx OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Alteryx is #1 ranked solution in top Predictive Analytics tools, top Data Science Platforms, and top Data Preparation Tools. PeerSpot users give Alteryx an average rating of 8 out of 10. Alteryx is most commonly compared to KNIME: Alteryx vs KNIME. Alteryx is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 54% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is Alteryx?

Alteryx is a self-service data analytics solution, that provides a platform that can prep, blend, and analyze all of your data, then deploy and share analytics in hours. It can automate time-consuming and manual data tasks while performing predictive, statistical, and spatial analytics in the same workflow. It uses a drag and drop tool with an intuitive user interface with no coding and programming required. Alteryx licenses are subscription-based and include all product updates and support to their customers.

Alteryx Buyer's Guide

Download the Alteryx Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Alteryx Customers

AnalyticsIq Inc., belk, BloominBrands Inc., Cardinalhealth, Cineplex, Dairy Queen

Alteryx Video

Alteryx Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Alteryx pricing:
  • "Opt for the three year subscription. It is 20% less than the yearly one."
  • "ROI is huge. There are some secondary benefits, like analysts getting their post 5 PM time back or the ability to shorten all closing processes to a half or less."
  • "It is $4,000 a year, so it is cheap versus other solutions. It also accomplishes three times the volume on the job in the same time (as the other solutions).​"
  • "The price could be better."
  • "In order to have designers, and, if you want to collaborate, you have to buy a server. If the designer is $5,000, and if you want a server, you have to pay $80,000."
  • Alteryx Reviews

Theresa McLaughlin
    Senior Capacity Planner at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Efficient, with great automation capabilities but technical support is not as good as it once was
    • "Automation is the most valuable aspect for us. The ability to wrap business logic around the data is very helpful."
    • "What they're struggling with is it's not as mature as Tableau in the user management area. It was tougher to manage the server part of it right away, especially since the user base has grown."

What is our primary use case?

We were analyzing data trying to find anomalies with the servers and things that were going wrong. Normally in what we do, it can be a very manual process looking for that kind of stuff. Therefore, using this product, I created a workflow that went out and looked across all devices for problems that are happening, and managed to cut down the number of issues that were being created daily.

How has it helped my organization?

The amount of labor that it takes us to find issues is pretty high. When you put the automation in place, that frees up your time to concentrate on the advanced analytics. We recognized right away in that first year that the amount of FTEs that we would have to acquire to do that work was a significant amount of money. It just stepped us into automation of many things that we do. That frees us up to be able to do a more mature analysis, and not that day-to-day stuff that you we have to track.

Not everybody's budget allows for having a team of 20. We just don't have that. It's saving us a lot of money in FTEs.

What is most valuable?

Right away we knew this has a lot of value, even from the perspective of data manipulation and automation.

There are all sorts of use cases that we could come up with. It does take a little bit of learning and figuring out how to work the tool, however, we've been really successful with it. I even went and presented at one of their conferences our use case.

It not only helps us with efficiency. You can also flip the steps apart to make that data flow in various ways.

Most tasks run in less than two minutes and provide us with what we need very quickly. I can wrap rules around the data to look for certain things or to notify people.

The amount of manual labor that we're saving by writing those workflows is huge.

What needs improvement?

The solution does have a bit of a learning curve.

I initially managed the product completely. Then, when the user base grew, another group just took it over. What they're struggling with is it's not as mature as Tableau in the user management area. It was tougher to manage the server part of it right away, especially since the user base has grown. When you get hundreds of users in there, trying to manage access to the product is a little tougher than Tableau.

I've used the solution for maybe around five years or so.

The solution is quite stable. It's not as mature as Tableau in that stability area, however, it's pretty reliable. We don't have a lot of problems with it. Initially, we created a lot of cases as we didn't understand how to best manage the product. Now, very rarely do I open a case with support and have issues.

They recently moved to a different support model. Initially, when we came to the product, the support was pretty good. Now, when we open cases, it seems not so good. They're asking customers to pay more money to get a higher level of support. Of course, due to the fact that we don't open that many cases, it's not important to us to get to that higher level. That said, the response time given and the attention to us is not as good as it was initially.

When trying to pull large datasets into Tableau right away we realized that we had to do something different. Prior to Alteryx being available, I would use scripting to stage the data. I happened to notice an ad on LinkedIn for Alteryx, and I thought, "Wow, this is exactly what I need." I talked management into buying it. I was the first one in the company to start using the product.

We used outside vendors to come in and help in certain parts of the implementation.

It's more expensive than Tableau, for example.

There has been some scrutiny on the overall costs. We're trying to go to more open-source, with more products that don't cost so much. I have to continually work with folks on proving that the value of what we pay in licenses.

The solution has recently changed its support process and is now pressuring users to pay for a higher level of support services. That could potentially be an extra charge for some companies.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users.

I would advise other companies considering the solution that the training is important. They've been great working with us on free training for this, that, and the other. The company really does provide a lot of those resources. The community is very good. The knowledge base that's out there in the community is great. A company should just tap into that and any free training they can. It takes a little bit of time to get proficient at it, however, the payoff is there.

Overall, I would rate it at a seven out of ten.

Data Analytics Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    MSP
    Easy to set up with a good interface and straightforward scalability
    • "The scheduling feature for the automation is excellent."
    • "The technical support could have a little bit of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Most of my use cases have been around just helping customers out, specifically in the financial sector. Within our company, I've been automating the reports, project reports, and using it mostly for the automation of weekly reports in our company.

What is most valuable?

The scheduling feature for the automation is excellent. The machine learning suite has been pretty useful in terms of building models. I've been exploring it for a while. The in-database tools are extremely useful as well.

The interfaces are perfect.

The solution is easy to set up.

The stability is quite good.

We have found that the scalability is good and very easy to handle.

What needs improvement?

I still haven't had any issues with the Alteryx designer. I don't have anything to speak negatively of now, however, I'm sure there are some features that need improvement.

The technical support could have a little bit of improvement.

They should work to make the solution less expensive.

The product needs some more tools for the image processing part. That would be pretty good. There's an image processing suite, however, it could use a little bit of improvement as well as the visualization aspect.

They should maybe add some capabilities for more interactive dashboarding. That would be great.

I've been using Alteryx for a while now. I'm still learning about it. I'm still exploring it, but I've been using it for a while.

I've been using it for a little bit over six months now.

The product has been pretty stable, however, we aren't heavily utilizing the solution. It's hard to pass a fair judgment on our part, as we don't have that many users and the utilization of the server and designer haven't been very heavy so far. That said, for us, it's been extremely stable.

The scalability is extremely easy and very straightforward on Alteryx, especially the server for the controllers. You can easily start adding nodes for workers as well. The scalability is one of the things that get our customers mostly excited about how easy it is to start scaling the server.

In our organization, we have four Alteryx designer users and eight or nine server users.

Technical support is okay and could be better. Sometimes, it takes about two to five days to hear an answer from the technical support team. That said, when they do reply, they're very helpful. The community is very helpful. However, due to the fact that there's such a wide range of issues that could be going on, you could get lost in trying to find a solution on the community.

I have not personally used any different solution.

The initial setup is extremely straightforward.

It took about 30 minutes for the designer and the server overall to be deployed. It was easy and it's really fast.

There isn't much maintenance needed. I handle all of the maintenance myself.

Everything was handled by the company in-house. We didn't need any help from consultants or integrators.

While we have personally seen ROI so far, I wouldn't be the one to make that judgment as to how much. That's mostly due to the fact that I'm the data engineer. I don't have a look at the numbers. I just automate processes and help customers out. That said, customers are happy with their investment in this product overall.

Since we're partners, we get licenses. That said, from the feedback I hear, the price is a little bit more on the expensive side.

We do yearly subscriptions. There are machine learning suites that do come at an extra cost as well.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners with Alteryx.

I'm using version 21, the latest version, which may be either 21.1.4 or 0.3.2.

I would advise potential new users to go through the community to learn. They should go through the learning path for the Alteryx solution for both the designer and the server. It's good to take it slowly. New users should be able to do this within a month or two. The solution is pretty straightforward to learn.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Alteryx. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    563,208 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Alberto Guisande
    Director at Decision Science
    Speeds up the time to obtain business answers/insights on data
    • "Shortens the time required to start analyzing data and looking for insights, minimizing the tasks that do not add value to the business and maximizing the analysis phase."
    • "Alteryx speeds up the time to obtain business answers/insights on data."
    • "It is one of the most complete and great customer service that I experienced with a software company/ecosystem."
    • "Even when it already includes some AI models, this area could be improved."
    • "It would be great to create the final users' visualization within Alteryx."

What is our primary use case?

• Data acquisition, accessing all types of data services no matter the format, vendor or platform, I can connect, read and process the data.
    • Data blending and descriptive, creating consolidated data sets, such as joins, unions, summarize, and all basic and advanced data manipulation tasks.
    • Advanced analytics, like predictive and prescriptive analysis, which are very good tools.
    • Preparation

It involves reading multiple data sources, in different formats, reshaping and blending them together to answer business questions. We generate models for predictions and optimization.

How has it helped my organization?

Alteryx speeds up the time to obtain business answers/insights on data. It can quickly process huge amounts of data. It allows you to have your business prepare their own data sets, and it can even be used by IT people. The speed of processing is impressive to get something in minutes that would normally take you a couple of days or weeks.

What is most valuable?

• The codeless concept and speed of processing are unique. Super intuitive to use and easy to master. No coder needed.
    • I did not find a data source that I could not connect to yet.
    • In/out, preparation, blending, parsing, and transformation tools are the fundamental ones to start analysis.
    • Spatial operations and analytics are super powerful for analysis which requires these types of models/operations.

What needs improvement?

Even when it already includes some AI models, this area could be improved.

Another area which could be improved is the visualizations. It would be great to create the final users' visualization within Alteryx.

Finally, the UI does not reflects the amazing tool Alteryx is.

Three to five years.

It is absolutely stable. It has not crashed. It takes seconds to process huge amounts of data without too many resources on the machine.

There are no scalability issues. It is enterprise ready, and can multiple your processing power.

The customer support is fast, complete and proficient. The partner ecosystem is extensive, and all have a couple of very advanced resources to provide support.

Finally, Alteryx has an online community (Check it out at http://community.alteryx.com ), with a lot of people willing to help users.

I used several ETL tools, but none had the scope of Alteryx nor the ability to perform the analysis itself.

The initial setup was very straightforward using a wizard.

Next, Next, Next, OK process. Super easy, intuitive, and problem-free.

Both vendor team and in-house. In all cases, it was a straightforward experience. The vendor was very proficient and Alteryx always had our backs.

Opt for the three year subscription. It is 20% less than the yearly one.

I evaluated Datawatch and QlikView

Datawatch: Performance was not great and it was not so straightforward to implement.

What other advice do I have?

Download the trial and test it. You will be amazed. It is the complete package for people who work with data.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Provide a good product.
    • Have good support.
    • Needs a clear vision of the future with a very solid roadmap.
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is an Alteryx Partner.
    JaimeDiaz
    Master Data Senior Business Process Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Scales well with connection feature and good stability
    • "Technical support is very helpful."
    • "The screen when you are looking into your workflows and your ETL processes needs to be improved. You cannot manage it very well."

What is our primary use case?

The solution allows us to create some reports that my organization uses, that my team uses. We also move some data from one particular legacy ERP into a shared SQL server to mix information from defense applications into one repository for analytic purposes.

What is most valuable?

The connection feature is quite useful to our organization. We connect with other databases. We connect with Microsoft SQL databases or with Oracle databases, and we connect with SharePoint lists, and we can connect with Outlook email servers as well.

The stability is very good. It hasn't given us any issues.

The scalability has been great.

Technical support is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

Our IT team has a lot of restrictions. Therefore, we cannot extend all the functions and all the features that Alteryx has, unfortunately. That's due to the fact that the internal restrictions we have are from a security standpoint.

The desktop license is expensive.

The screen when you are looking into your workflows and your ETL processes needs to be improved. You cannot manage it very well. For example, the column size, and items like that should be adjustable.

I've been using the solution for a couple of years. It's been a while.

The solution has been stable so far. It doesn't crash and freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's good. The stability of the tool is perfect for us.

We've found the scalability to be quite good. We are connected to big databases, small databases, medium databases, any kind of database. For us, it's great.

In Latin America, there are about 30 to 40 people on the solution. In North America, probably a couple of hundred people are on the solution, and in Europe probably over 100. In Asia, there are probably around 50 more, and the India teams probably have a little more.

I've not personally used technical support, however, we have a person on our team who is more of an expert on all of the features. Sometimes, if he has questions, he will contact them. We have a very quick response, from what I understand. So far, it's been a good experience and we are satisfied with their level of support.

We have a few hundred office licenses so far.

I haven't compared the solution to other licenses and therefore cannot really specify if it's the most expensive option or not, or if the current pricing is unreasonable. This is the tool our company's IT team selected for us and we can use it if we need it. It's not something I chose. It's something my company provides as a tool from an ETL standpoint.

What other advice do I have?

We don't use all the functionalities due to the restrictions we have inside our network. So far, what we use is enough. We can't extend to use all the functions and all the capabilities the tools have. However, that is because of the unique internal restrictions we have.

We use the solution just as a reporting tool and consolidate information from different systems to create analytics, however, I know that Alteryx has far more extended capabilities than we have explored. We use it as a personal user tool. We don't use it as a company strategy to move databases from one side to another side and make consolidations. We use it on a very small scale.

I'd recommend the solution to others.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. We've been largely satisfied with the solution.

Director at a non-tech company with 11-50 employees
    Stable and very fast with good scalability options
    • "The product is very stable and super fast, five-star. It's significantly more stable than it's nearest competitor."
    • "The only area where the product lags is documentation and videos on the analytical app and the batch macro."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients buy the product license and then ask us to configure and set it up for them. We also provide training on product use and act as troubleshooters if customers have problems. The company has a 15-member team that provides training and consulting on multiple technologies.

We have clients who are from tax, audit, and automation. They also use Automation Anywhere and Robotic Process Automation Application.

There are three primary use cases for this product.

Firstly, we have a case study that involved lot of buy and sell transactions in Dubai (real estate). We wanted to create a model that takes up all the data sets that are frequently upgraded, and then be able to extract a ballpark transaction value based on multiple parameters. A big task was to sanitize the data including how to handle incomplete data sets.

Secondly, it is used to automate reconciliation of tax related system entries. For example, or for tax reconciliation such as a client in India where there is something similar to VAT called GST, a requirement to reconcile different transactions and make sure both party's accounting books match.

Finally, there is a case where you have your own accounting software such as SAP and it has to talk to another software application, which is not SAP compatible so we use Alteryx.

What is most valuable?

There's no single feature I can think of that stands out as being the most valuable, but we've worked on multiple areas such as analytical apps, especially to connect with Facebook, LinkedIn, and multiple other online data APIs. We also use batch macros to automate and repeat steps many times over. These two features help us a lot. They are slightly more advanced, so it's not for a regular user, but these are the areas where people ask for assistance.

What needs improvement?

I think the only area where the product lags is documentation and videos on the analytical app and the batch macro. We have learned the hard way, but I see people struggling there. Secondly, the tools for data science are not as user-friendly as KNIME.

Additional features that could be included would be improved documentation, more user-friendly data science, and the pricing should be more competitive.

I've been working with the product for 1.5 years. My team has been working with it for 3+ years.

The product is very stable and super fast, also five-star. In fact, the reason people use Alteryx is that it's fast. It's significantly more stable than the nearest competitor.

Scalability is excellent, five-star.

Technical support is very forthcoming in helping people out.

We use several solutions for our clients. The two main ones are Alteryx and KNIME. Probably 90% use Alteryx and 10% KNIME.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that the decision to purchase the product should be based on a company's level of deployment. If it's for a process for a pharma company, which is a smaller enterprise. then I recommend starting with KNIME. As the data gets bigger, switch to Alteryx.

I think they should have a student version just like Tableau does. Not all the tools, but the basic top 10 or 15 tools. The reason I suggest this is because there's a huge need for Alteryx users, but because of its 14-day trial period, a lot of students cannot get a handle on it so a scaled-down light version would be good.

I would rate this product an 9 out of 10.

Solutions Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    A complete solution with very good user experience and a nice user interface
    • "The solution has a very strong community that is involved in the product. It helps make the usage easier and helps us find answers to our questions."
    • "There's a big jump in terms of pricing between license tiers. I'm not sure I understand why the price jumps are so high."

What is our primary use case?

We're using the solution primarily to clean up some of our customer CRM data and to integrate it with some of our Salesforce requirements.

What is most valuable?

The UX (user experience) is quite good on this solution. The UI (user interface) is also excellent.

What needs improvement?

For the most part, the solution is very complete, and there isn't much missing.

The designer license lacks a few features that the server has.

I've been using the solution for just over a year at this point. It hasn't been too long.

The stability of the solution is very good. It's reliable. We have not experienced issues like bugs and glitches. It doesn't crash.

Only a small number of people use the solution in our organization. There are about four people on it. They are a mix of engineers, architects, and some data integration specialists.

There is a possibility to scale the solution. For the designer license, it's quite possible. Another server may be required, however.

The technical support has been very good. I'd rate it ten out of ten. We're quite satisfied with the level of service we've been provided. They are helpful.

We did previously use R and Python solutions before we switched to Alteryx. They were okay, but a bit difficult to work with.

Alteryx is easier to set up and implement. It allowed us to also focus on different aspects of the business.

The initial setup is simple. It's very straightforward. I wouldn't describe the implementation as complex.

Deployment takes about an hour if a user is installing the regular application.

The solution does not require maintenance.

In terms of the installation, I had to request the process from IT. However, it was fairly simple. I did the initial implementation of the platform. That said, I did require the help of some of our data scientists. It was all in-house. We didn't require the help of an integrator or consultant.

I don't have any idea how much the solution costs. I don't deal with that aspect of the solution. I do believe the pricing is publicly listed on their website.

What other advice do I have?

We're simply users of the solution. We don't have a professional relationship with Alteryx.

We're currently using the designer license, however, I'm not sure of the exact version I'm currently on right now. I believe it is the latest version.

There's a 14-day free trial for those organizations that would like to try the solution before they commit to anything.

I would recommend the solution, 100%. It basically has everything we need. While we don't have all the features on offer in our particular license, it does have everything we need, and if our needs change, we can always move up to the next tier.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Allan Kirszberg
    Coordenador Financeiro at Icatu
    Process data quickly, is easy to use and set up and comes with good technical support
    • "I like the solution's velocity, the speed with which it processes data, and its ease of use."
    • "A colleague of mind mentioned that the solution should have more options for the visualization of data."

What is our primary use case?

I believe we are using the new version.

I use the solution for development and certain financial projections, such as making a business plan. I employ the solution for the amalgamation of big data.
    I also use the solution for certain analytics deployment, such as that found in the commercial arena, for ascertaining the projections of sales.

What is most valuable?

I like the solution's velocity, the speed with which it processes data, and its ease of use. It has good usability.

What needs improvement?

A colleague of mind mentioned that the solution should have more options for the visualization of data. The visualization filtering could stand improvement.

The documentation could be improved upon.

The price could be better. Though we are satisfied with the solution, we feel the price to be a bit on the expensive side. We make use of another ETL solution, the PowerCenter. We would like to improve on and escalate Alteryx, but find it too expensive at the moment to do so.

I have been using Alteryx within the past 12 months.

I believe the solution to be stable.

I believe the solution to be scalable, although I cannot say for certain, owing to the price. It We are not talking about a corporate solution at the moment. While we wish to improve upon and escalate the solution, I believe it is too expensive for us to do so at the present time.

While I cannot speak about the future with certainty, we do have plans to increase the usage. We are satisfied with what we have at present. My area currently consists of four licenses and we would like to improve on this, to have more users. For the moment, we don't have definite plans to buy another license, certainly not in 2022, although, perhaps, in 2023. I sure hope so.

Technical support is good.

We make use of another ETL solution, the PowerCenter.

We also make use of Databricks, which we use as a data science platform, although I cannot say how this compares with Alteryx. We use Databricks as a corporate ETL solution from the Data Lake.

We use Microsoft Azure, as well.

The initial setup was easy.

The deployment was fast, I believe lasting one day.

We handled the setup on our own.

I don't know how many people are needed for deployment and maintenance.

The price could be better. Though we are satisfied with the solution, we feel the price to be a bit on the expensive side. We make use of another ETL solution, the PowerCenter. We would like to improve on and escalate Alteryx, but find it too expensive at the moment to do so.

The licensing costs are around 26,000 reals, perhaps $6,500 a year.

The licensing is all inclusive. There are no further costs.

What other advice do I have?

I don't make use of Alteryx myself, although my area, of which I am a manager, does.

I am a customer of Alteryx.

There are six people making use of the solution in our organization, two from compliance and one a data scientist.

My colleage rates Alteryx as a nine out of ten. She says she loves it.

Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Review about Alteryx
    • "The support is very good."
    • "The principal problem is the pricing. They're expensive products."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for data preparation, data cleansing, and, in some cases, predictive analytics. That said, the major use is in the preparation of data.

What is most valuable?

I am the sales guy. I don't work with the product every day. However, I hear from my customers that they like the easy-to-use interface. Another feature they like is the In-database feature, and, right now, the new intelligence suite add-on they delivered a couple of years ago.

The support is very good.

What needs improvement?

The principal problem is the pricing. They're expensive products. They don't have an option to scale the product while the customer is starting to use the product. There are no options for customers that want to move from smaller scale and expand the solution to the rest oth the organización. The Designer (pleople who develope models and flows) cost 5,195 USD each one, but if you want to collaborate, you have to buy a server which cost 80,000 USD not matter how many users you have, so you cannot scale from a small group of users to a large one.

It's only available as an on-premises solution.

It would be ideal if the product offered some sot of option for smaller companies.

The solution is hard to scale in that it is pricey. You need to buy a server. You would need to have the correct sizing, and, if you don't, you would need to buy a bigger server, which is expensive. They don't have a way to grow the product progressively, in a progressive way.

The support is very good overall. We are satisfied with their level of service. They are knowledgeable and responsive.

We also use Dataiku. We are partners for both products.

In the case of Dataiku, they have a stacking in Amazon. We are offering this option right now. I know that they are going to deliver an option in Google Cloud also. Alteryx, on the other hand, is only on-premises.

The licensing model that they use makes it a very expensive proposition for many companies. It requires buying a server, as it is only on-premises.

I've been searching about the difference between both Dataiku and Alteryx products. I'm working to evaluate the two and compare them to each other. Technically, we have a customer who is comparing both products, so we have to prepare a document comparing them for that purpose.

What other advice do I have?

We are Alteryx partners.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's a very good product, however, the pricing makes it quite expensive.

In comparison, I love Dataiku. I've seen it's a very, very good product and we are working hard to start offering this product to all our customers. They have an option for companies to from medium-size to large-size. However, they don't have options for small customers. That said, you can start from, for example, an investment in $30,000 and up. You can go progressively investing in the product. That's not the case for Alteryx.