Alteryx OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Alteryx is the #1 ranked solution in top Predictive Analytics tools, #1 ranked solution in top Data Preparation Tools, and #2 ranked solution in top Data Science Platforms. PeerSpot users give Alteryx an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Alteryx is most commonly compared to KNIME: Alteryx vs KNIME. Alteryx is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 19% of all views.
Alteryx Buyer's Guide

Download the Alteryx Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is Alteryx?

Alteryx can be used to speed up or automate your business processes and enables geospatial and predictive solutions. Its platform helps organizations answer business questions quickly and efficiently, and can be used as a major building block in a digital transformation or automation initiative. With Alteryx, you can build processes in a more efficient, repeatable, and less error-prone way. Unlike other tools, Alteryx is easy to use without an IT background. The platform is very robust and can be used in virtually any industry or functional area.

With Alteryx You Can:

• Prep, blend, and analyze data
  • Deliver faster, better business outcomes
  • Automate analytics and data science
  • Embed intelligent decisioning
  • Deploy and share analytics in hours

Alteryx Features Include:

Some of the most valuable Alteryx features include:

Scalability, stability, flexibility, fast performance, no-code analytics, data processing, business logic wrapping, scheduling, ease of use, data blending from different platforms, geo-referencing, good customization capabilities, drag and drop functionality, intuitive user interface, connectors, machine learning, macros, simple GUI, integration with Python, good data transformation, good documentation, multiple database merging, and easy deployment.

Alteryx Can Be Used For:

• Combining and manipulating data within spreadsheets: Alteryx can be used in situations where complex data manipulation occurs. It can handle large data quickly, and the process is much simpler to see and understand.

• Database access and supplementing SQL development: Alteryx has several sets of database connectors and functions, including many functions that your average database does not. Alteryx can work with data from multiple databases or areas within a database. It allows users to filter, sort, calculate, etc. as they would commonly do in SQL or an ETL tool.
  • API, cloud, and hybrid access: Alteryx can read and write data in databases, files, REST APIs, and a myriad of other locations (with the correct permissions). When a workflow is published, you can also call a workflow through a REST API to start it.

• Data science: Alteryx provides pre-built models that are extremely useful for data scientists who may have limited programming skills and also gives you the ability to add R or Python code directly within a workflow.

• Geospatial analysis: Alteryx gives users drag-and-drop tools to geocode, plot, and map locations, customers, competitors, or anything that has a location (employee, truck, pipeline, etc.).

• Reports and dashboards: Alteryx provides built-in tools that enable the building of reports and dashboards.

Alteryx Benefits

Some of the benefits of using Alteryx include

• Saves time: Alteryx helps shorten the time required to start analyzing data and looking for insights, minimizing the tasks that do not add value to the business and maximizing the analysis phase.

• Clear tool configurations: Alteryx provides simple and concise tool configurations that are quick and easy to set.

• Excellent workflow compatibility.

• Reduced development time: Alteryx has an extensive gallery of user-developed analytic applications that helps to reduce development time.

• Fast data loading: Alteryx has tools that make it very effective when working with big data sets.

• No-code, low-code analytic building blocks: You can prep, blend, and analyze data to enable highly configurable and repeatable workflows.

• Machine learning: Alteryx allows you to quickly create properly trained algorithms that are ready to deploy.

Reviews from Real Users

"Automation is the most valuable aspect for us. The ability to wrap business logic around the data is very helpful." - Theresa M., Senior Capacity Planner at a financial services firm

"Alteryx has made us more agile and increased the speed and effectiveness of decision making." - Richard F., Director, Digital Experience & Media at Qdoba Restaurant Corporation

"The scheduling feature for the automation is excellent." - Data Analytics Engineer at a tech services company

"The product is very stable and super fast, five-star. It's significantly more stable than its nearest competitor." - Director at a non-tech company

“A complete solution with very good user experience and a nice user interface.” - Solutions Consultant at a tech services company

"There are a lot of good customization capabilities." - Advance Analytics PO at a pharma/biotech company

Alteryx Customers

AnalyticsIq Inc., belk, BloominBrands Inc., Cardinalhealth, Cineplex, Dairy Queen

Alteryx Video

Alteryx Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Alteryx pricing:
  • "The desktop platform costs $5,000 per year. It's very costly."
  • "It's probably on the pricey side, but they provide some really useful ways to grow and test."
  • "Opt for the three year subscription. It is 20% less than the yearly one."
  • "ROI is huge. There are some secondary benefits, like analysts getting their post 5 PM time back or the ability to shorten all closing processes to a half or less."
  • "It is $4,000 a year, so it is cheap versus other solutions. It also accomplishes three times the volume on the job in the same time (as the other solutions).​"
  • "In order to have designers, and, if you want to collaborate, you have to buy a server. If the designer is $5,000, and if you want a server, you have to pay $80,000."
  • Alteryx Reviews

President with 51-200 employees
    Plenty of capability and works well for those who don't want to program and don't use algorithms heavily
    • "You get more support with Alteryx, and it's good for non-sophisticated users who can benefit from the support included in the price."
    • "I think they should really work on integrating or have a capacity to integrate some algorithmic code. I think that's one of the most important things they need to be doing."

What is our primary use case?

At the time, I used the solution for data preparation and data handling, which is cleaning the data and then working with the data, and linking different data effects.

The solution is on-premise. I use it on my desktop.

What is most valuable?

Alteryx is great for someone who doesn't want to program and doesn't fiddle too much with the machine learning algorithms. If you need to do sophisticated things (if you're a real data scientist), then Alteryx is not the right way to go. For most users, there is plenty of capability and that's enough for more mundane use. The solution is rich and very flexible.

They have the capability to integrate some oiutside coding, but I didn't invest enough time to understand how that can be done and what the limitations are. If someone needs to do it, I'm not sure if they will be able to save time in the process or if that is cumbersome or not. I haven't tested whether or not integrating R code is flexible enough to accomodate specific developments with both platforms. Integrating optimized algorithms for the sake of automation would be great.

What needs improvement?

The biggest limitation is that the solution doesn't allow you to do sophisticated things in terms of fiddling with their implementations of machine learning and deep learning components.

I think they should really work on integrating or have a capacity to integrate tailor-made algorithmic code. I think that's one of the most important things they need to be doing.

Alteryx is very stable.

Alteryx
    December 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Alteryx. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
    655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I haven't needed technical support, but they seem to be very available to talk. The people that I spoke to in Alteryx were very reactive and present. The moment you download the software, someone will call you, try to get in contact with you, and try to understand what your needs are.

I only installed the desktop and it's like any PC-type software. It's done in a few minutes, so it's easy. The server part is something else, and I haven't tested it so I can't elaborate on it.

I tested the solution for a long time so I never actually bought the software, although Alteryx is very costly. In comparison, KNIME is free.

To start with Alteryx, you need to pay for the desktop. The desktop platform costs $5,000 per year. You probably get more support with Alteryx, and it's good for non-sophisticated users who can benefit from the support included in the price.

KNIME is probably the alternative to Alteryx for someone who needs a package. The package can do a lot of things without needing too much programming and with zero code. It's very good for someone who needs access to algorithmic content without needing to develop it. However, I don't have concrete experience using it.

They are both very good packages for someone who wants to develop dashboards or use algorithms without knowing the nuts and bolts or with limited coding. They are very practical. The difference between the two platforms is very limited. They are equivalent.

I used Alteryx for data preparation, and KNIME can do it just the same. The two are very close in terms of concept and the way the two softwares work, but there are lots of tools for data preparation. Right now, I use a lot of loose programming. I develop scripts with R, and that is the most effective way I've seen because I can do whatever I like. I have 100% flexibility.

I think that a real data scientist would go with R or Python and use Spark. It's a totally different world, and these softwares need much more investment in time and effort to understand how to use them. It's a lot of work, whereas Alteryx and KNIME are for the casual user. They are more for the people who are in companies and need to work on data without clearly understanding the mathematics behind it.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 9 out of 10.

Alteryx is the kind of software that a corporation would want to go with and to deploy on for people who are not really data scientists and that have to use data, design dashboards, have to clean and prepare data and so on. That's an effective way to use Alteryx. To go for a sophisticated data science type of added value, a data scientist would want to work with programming languages and use a lot of the libraries that are available. At some point, they would want to put all this code and integrate this code into the platform so that less sophisticated users can use the analysis done outside operational lines.

This is definitely the kind of software that is a time-saver if you want to start working on different data sources or a lot of data sources, and you want to work with the data, angle the data, cross-link and so on. It's very good and very easy to use. It's visual, so it's easier to understand what you are doing. When it comes to putting some intelligence into it, it's enough for most people. There is enough that is loaded into software that can help you. The Alteryx interface may be easier to understand than KNIME. You are able to do some nice things with it in just a week.

Theresa McLaughlin - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Capacity Planner at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Efficient, with great automation capabilities but technical support is not as good as it once was
    • "Automation is the most valuable aspect for us. The ability to wrap business logic around the data is very helpful."
    • "What they're struggling with is it's not as mature as Tableau in the user management area. It was tougher to manage the server part of it right away, especially since the user base has grown."

What is our primary use case?

We were analyzing data trying to find anomalies with the servers and things that were going wrong. Normally in what we do, it can be a very manual process looking for that kind of stuff. Therefore, using this product, I created a workflow that went out and looked across all devices for problems that are happening, and managed to cut down the number of issues that were being created daily.

How has it helped my organization?

The amount of labor that it takes us to find issues is pretty high. When you put the automation in place, that frees up your time to concentrate on the advanced analytics. We recognized right away in that first year that the amount of FTEs that we would have to acquire to do that work was a significant amount of money. It just stepped us into automation of many things that we do. That frees us up to be able to do a more mature analysis, and not that day-to-day stuff that you we have to track.

Not everybody's budget allows for having a team of 20. We just don't have that. It's saving us a lot of money in FTEs.

What is most valuable?

Right away we knew this has a lot of value, even from the perspective of data manipulation and automation.

There are all sorts of use cases that we could come up with. It does take a little bit of learning and figuring out how to work the tool, however, we've been really successful with it. I even went and presented at one of their conferences our use case.

It not only helps us with efficiency. You can also flip the steps apart to make that data flow in various ways.

Most tasks run in less than two minutes and provide us with what we need very quickly. I can wrap rules around the data to look for certain things or to notify people.

The amount of manual labor that we're saving by writing those workflows is huge.

What needs improvement?

The solution does have a bit of a learning curve.

I initially managed the product completely. Then, when the user base grew, another group just took it over. What they're struggling with is it's not as mature as Tableau in the user management area. It was tougher to manage the server part of it right away, especially since the user base has grown. When you get hundreds of users in there, trying to manage access to the product is a little tougher than Tableau.

I've used the solution for maybe around five years or so.

The solution is quite stable. It's not as mature as Tableau in that stability area, however, it's pretty reliable. We don't have a lot of problems with it. Initially, we created a lot of cases as we didn't understand how to best manage the product. Now, very rarely do I open a case with support and have issues.

They recently moved to a different support model. Initially, when we came to the product, the support was pretty good. Now, when we open cases, it seems not so good. They're asking customers to pay more money to get a higher level of support. Of course, due to the fact that we don't open that many cases, it's not important to us to get to that higher level. That said, the response time given and the attention to us is not as good as it was initially.

When trying to pull large datasets into Tableau right away we realized that we had to do something different. Prior to Alteryx being available, I would use scripting to stage the data. I happened to notice an ad on LinkedIn for Alteryx, and I thought, "Wow, this is exactly what I need." I talked management into buying it. I was the first one in the company to start using the product.

We used outside vendors to come in and help in certain parts of the implementation.

It's more expensive than Tableau, for example.

There has been some scrutiny on the overall costs. We're trying to go to more open-source, with more products that don't cost so much. I have to continually work with folks on proving that the value of what we pay in licenses.

The solution has recently changed its support process and is now pressuring users to pay for a higher level of support services. That could potentially be an extra charge for some companies.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users.

I would advise other companies considering the solution that the training is important. They've been great working with us on free training for this, that, and the other. The company really does provide a lot of those resources. The community is very good. The knowledge base that's out there in the community is great. A company should just tap into that and any free training they can. It takes a little bit of time to get proficient at it, however, the payoff is there.

Overall, I would rate it at a seven out of ten.

Alteryx
    December 2022
    655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Manager, Transformation & Hyperautomation at a real estate/law firm with 10,001+ employees
    Powerful technical support, simple installation, with useful data prep and blending tools
    • "I believe that the ability to leverage the gallery for scalability, as well as the general data blending functionality, is most beneficial to our core-based users."
    • "The data integration component could most likely be improved to increase enterprise scalability."

What is our primary use case?

The use cases range from basic EPL to predictive analytics and spatial analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

For example, within our functions group and our larger finance organization, we have a number of use cases where people are doing a lot of manual work, mostly in Excel. This has enabled us to move away from that, resulting in not only streamlined processes and efficiencies but also a significant increase in our ability to have confidence in that data. If the need arises, we may need to refresh data or revisit something.

It essentially automates what would otherwise be some extremely tedious activities to rerun and re-perform.

What is most valuable?

I believe that the ability to leverage the gallery for scalability, as well as the general data blending functionality, is most beneficial to our core-based users. Obviously, there's a lot more to it, but these basic data prep and blending tools help us a lot.

What needs improvement?

In some ways, I believe it is not yet as integrated as it could be. I believe that the data integration inquiring component could be improved slightly.

I have been working with Alteryx for two years.

It varies, but it will be the 2021 version.

The stability of Alteryx has been great.

It is highly scalable for the vast majority of things you want to do. When it comes to extremely large data sets or very specific analytics that would be delivered at an extremely high scale, either really, really tremendous scale or tremendous volume may be problematic. However, those are only a small number of possible scenarios. As a result, it hasn't been a problem for us, but we've switched to another technology for those types of use cases.

The roles are extremely varied. We have over 100, and less than 200, but that will increase in the coming months.

We are currently at capacity in terms of licenses. So we're looking to go from the low triple digits to over 1000 in the next year, maybe a year and a half. I believe we will quadruple in the coming year.

Technical support is quite powerful. I believe you must know how to take advantage of it, but I believe they have the necessary infrastructure in place to get you where you need to go. I believe it is somewhat incumbent on the organization to have someone serve as that contact, that partner. They're fine as long as you keep your end of the bargain.

We switched because we wanted to. We didn't have anything that could do everything Alteryx did, in my opinion. We had some minor transformation tools and such, but nothing that could truly compete with Alteryx.

The initial setup is straightforward.

That's something we're still working on. We started with about 100 licenses and identified areas where we thought it could add value. That has been demonstrated, and we are working to scale significantly over the next year. It's been a two to four-year journey from discovery to widespread adoption.

The majority of the work is done in-house. We initially worked with Alteryx, but it was primarily done in-house.

It has certainly paid for itself on a per-user basis. We haven't done a group ROI yet. But it more than pays for itself. Our "highlights" are quite powerful. The more prominent business cases are extremely compelling.

It's not cheap, but they offer a variety of packages to help you grow in practices and programs that allow you to scale effectively while also testing how deep the use can penetrate while allowing you to really reduce the risk. They offer various bundles in which they offer free licenses as well, so you can essentially see if you're able to use them consistently. Then, the next time, you can add that number or various other programs. It's probably on the pricey side, but they provide some really useful ways to grow and test.

If you're serious about scaling, you'll need a product manager, which is a major cost aside from the license.

We evaluated other products.

What other advice do I have?

Simply strike a balance between democratizing the use of data transformation and analytics and having a vision for how you might want to roll things out. I think it's not the easiest thing to strike that balance, but that's my recommendation. To try to have a plan, but also to make sure you're not putting up too many barriers.

I would rate Alteryx an eight out of ten.

Anamita Anuva - PeerSpot reviewer
    Graduate Assistant at a university with 501-1,000 employees
    Easy to set up and good filtering but has bit of a learning curve
    • "The initial setup is easy."
    • "If there is any way to make the learning curve less steep, that would be ideal."

What is our primary use case?

We used the solution to design our models and databases, and then we used it to automate it through Excel.

What is most valuable?

The fact that it can turn up all the functions that Excel takes hours to do in a faster way is a very valuable feature. Inputting from various sources is easy. The fact that it can filter or do other kinds of inputs is very useful for Alteryx. Also, the thing with Excel, as opposed to Alteryx, is that Excel can only take up to a number of rows, and after that, it freezes. In my previous work experience, I had to deal with 10,000 or even more rows. Excel was not feasible at all as opposed to Alteryx, which just automated tasks and gave us the results in a few minutes. The reliability was much better.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

I have not yet been exposed to Alteryx as much to comment on negative experiences. I'm taking a class this semester that has to do with Alteryx. I'm pretty sure that once I'm learning the projects and utilizing Alteryx more, then I can give back more feedback.

The usability could use some improvements. There are icons that you choose in terms of inputting the tool or even for filtering and then running different functions, there are different ways of designing your input tools and output tools, and that could get confusing.

I would suggest that if there's any way of simplifying it so that instead of tools or instead of understanding how it works, we could focus more on its usability and the output of it. For me, it was a bit challenging to figure out how to work with Alteryx. If there is any way to make the learning curve less steep, that would be ideal.

I've used the solution for a year and a half.

The stability is good, and, unlike Excel, it can handle large amounts of data and not freeze.

There have been actually hiccups and issues with Alteryx, however, to deal with that, what we did was we went back and saw what the issue was, and mainly the issue was due to Excel. Maybe the value, function time, or strength value was not supporting it. We had to edit many functions and strengths to rerun it through Alteryx. That's one thing that's good in Alteryx: if we run and it's not working, it gives us an output and tells us where we are going wrong so that we can go back and troubleshoot on the problematic areas.

I haven't had a chance to deal with the tech support due to the fact that mostly whenever things went wrong with Alteryx, we were able to fix it by ourselves or with the engineering team. Engineering was able to troubleshoot it and fix it by looking at the output given by Alteryx in the email. It tells you where things are going wrong. For that reason, we did not have the opportunity to go and ask for advice from support.

I have had experience in automating projects in Excel and Alteryx, among others.

I have more experience in Alteryx itself than in Designer. A lot of databases were modeled, and we went and changed or updated the models, attributes, and entities. Then, what we did is we created them in Excel and we just auto-run it whenever we needed to.

It's not complex, and it's also not straightforward. It depends on which database and how many functions you are using or how much you are designing through Alteryx. If there are a lot of structures and if there are a lot of values that you're doing through Alteryx, then it would be hard. That said, from my experience, it's actually not that tough.

I don't deal with licensing. I can't speak to the exact cost of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

At first, you need to know the capabilities of Alteryx. It's a good idea to attend a lot of webinars or do a project. That would be really helpful to understand how powerful Alteryx is. Alteryx is used a lot in financial industries, according to what I have seen. It becomes really taxing to do everything in Excel or spreadsheets. Something that would take an hour or two hours to do it manually can take five to 10 minutes for Alteryx. Therefore, try a small project or understand the intricacies of Alteryx and that will get you started.

I'd rate it seven out of ten.

Data Analytics Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    MSP
    Easy to set up with a good interface and straightforward scalability
    • "The scheduling feature for the automation is excellent."
    • "The technical support could have a little bit of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Most of my use cases have been around just helping customers out, specifically in the financial sector. Within our company, I've been automating the reports, project reports, and using it mostly for the automation of weekly reports in our company.

What is most valuable?

The scheduling feature for the automation is excellent. The machine learning suite has been pretty useful in terms of building models. I've been exploring it for a while. The in-database tools are extremely useful as well.

The interfaces are perfect.

The solution is easy to set up.

The stability is quite good.

We have found that the scalability is good and very easy to handle.

What needs improvement?

I still haven't had any issues with the Alteryx designer. I don't have anything to speak negatively of now, however, I'm sure there are some features that need improvement.

The technical support could have a little bit of improvement.

They should work to make the solution less expensive.

The product needs some more tools for the image processing part. That would be pretty good. There's an image processing suite, however, it could use a little bit of improvement as well as the visualization aspect.

They should maybe add some capabilities for more interactive dashboarding. That would be great.

I've been using Alteryx for a while now. I'm still learning about it. I'm still exploring it, but I've been using it for a while.

I've been using it for a little bit over six months now.

The product has been pretty stable, however, we aren't heavily utilizing the solution. It's hard to pass a fair judgment on our part, as we don't have that many users and the utilization of the server and designer haven't been very heavy so far. That said, for us, it's been extremely stable.

The scalability is extremely easy and very straightforward on Alteryx, especially the server for the controllers. You can easily start adding nodes for workers as well. The scalability is one of the things that get our customers mostly excited about how easy it is to start scaling the server.

In our organization, we have four Alteryx designer users and eight or nine server users.

Technical support is okay and could be better. Sometimes, it takes about two to five days to hear an answer from the technical support team. That said, when they do reply, they're very helpful. The community is very helpful. However, due to the fact that there's such a wide range of issues that could be going on, you could get lost in trying to find a solution on the community.

I have not personally used any different solution.

The initial setup is extremely straightforward.

It took about 30 minutes for the designer and the server overall to be deployed. It was easy and it's really fast.

There isn't much maintenance needed. I handle all of the maintenance myself.

Everything was handled by the company in-house. We didn't need any help from consultants or integrators.

While we have personally seen ROI so far, I wouldn't be the one to make that judgment as to how much. That's mostly due to the fact that I'm the data engineer. I don't have a look at the numbers. I just automate processes and help customers out. That said, customers are happy with their investment in this product overall.

Since we're partners, we get licenses. That said, from the feedback I hear, the price is a little bit more on the expensive side.

We do yearly subscriptions. There are machine learning suites that do come at an extra cost as well.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners with Alteryx.

I'm using version 21, the latest version, which may be either 21.1.4 or 0.3.2.

I would advise potential new users to go through the community to learn. They should go through the learning path for the Alteryx solution for both the designer and the server. It's good to take it slowly. New users should be able to do this within a month or two. The solution is pretty straightforward to learn.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Alberto Guisande - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director at Decision Science
    Speeds up the time to obtain business answers/insights on data
    • "Shortens the time required to start analyzing data and looking for insights, minimizing the tasks that do not add value to the business and maximizing the analysis phase."
    • "Alteryx speeds up the time to obtain business answers/insights on data."
    • "It is one of the most complete and great customer service that I experienced with a software company/ecosystem."
    • "Even when it already includes some AI models, this area could be improved."
    • "It would be great to create the final users' visualization within Alteryx."

What is our primary use case?

• Data acquisition, accessing all types of data services no matter the format, vendor or platform, I can connect, read and process the data.
    • Data blending and descriptive, creating consolidated data sets, such as joins, unions, summarize, and all basic and advanced data manipulation tasks.
    • Advanced analytics, like predictive and prescriptive analysis, which are very good tools.
    • Preparation

It involves reading multiple data sources, in different formats, reshaping and blending them together to answer business questions. We generate models for predictions and optimization.

How has it helped my organization?

Alteryx speeds up the time to obtain business answers/insights on data. It can quickly process huge amounts of data. It allows you to have your business prepare their own data sets, and it can even be used by IT people. The speed of processing is impressive to get something in minutes that would normally take you a couple of days or weeks.

What is most valuable?

• The codeless concept and speed of processing are unique. Super intuitive to use and easy to master. No coder needed.
    • I did not find a data source that I could not connect to yet.
    • In/out, preparation, blending, parsing, and transformation tools are the fundamental ones to start analysis.
    • Spatial operations and analytics are super powerful for analysis which requires these types of models/operations.

What needs improvement?

Even when it already includes some AI models, this area could be improved.

Another area which could be improved is the visualizations. It would be great to create the final users' visualization within Alteryx.

Finally, the UI does not reflects the amazing tool Alteryx is.

Three to five years.

It is absolutely stable. It has not crashed. It takes seconds to process huge amounts of data without too many resources on the machine.

There are no scalability issues. It is enterprise ready, and can multiple your processing power.

The customer support is fast, complete and proficient. The partner ecosystem is extensive, and all have a couple of very advanced resources to provide support.

Finally, Alteryx has an online community (Check it out at http://community.alteryx.com ), with a lot of people willing to help users.

I used several ETL tools, but none had the scope of Alteryx nor the ability to perform the analysis itself.

The initial setup was very straightforward using a wizard.

Next, Next, Next, OK process. Super easy, intuitive, and problem-free.

Both vendor team and in-house. In all cases, it was a straightforward experience. The vendor was very proficient and Alteryx always had our backs.

Opt for the three year subscription. It is 20% less than the yearly one.

I evaluated Datawatch and QlikView

Datawatch: Performance was not great and it was not so straightforward to implement.

What other advice do I have?

Download the trial and test it. You will be amazed. It is the complete package for people who work with data.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Provide a good product.
    • Have good support.
    • Needs a clear vision of the future with a very solid roadmap.
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is an Alteryx Partner.
    Alberto Guisande - PeerSpot reviewer
    Alberto GuisandeDirector at Decision Science
    Top 5LeaderboardReal User

New addition: Starting in version 2018.1 as beta and G.A. in version 2018.2, Alteryx now offers a Python SDK, so in addition to the R native integration, Alteryx now offers everything that a Business User, IT user or Data Scientist needs.

JaimeDiaz - PeerSpot reviewer
    Master Data Senior Business Process Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Scales well with connection feature and good stability
    • "Technical support is very helpful."
    • "The screen when you are looking into your workflows and your ETL processes needs to be improved. You cannot manage it very well."

What is our primary use case?

The solution allows us to create some reports that my organization uses, that my team uses. We also move some data from one particular legacy ERP into a shared SQL server to mix information from defense applications into one repository for analytic purposes.

What is most valuable?

The connection feature is quite useful to our organization. We connect with other databases. We connect with Microsoft SQL databases or with Oracle databases, and we connect with SharePoint lists, and we can connect with Outlook email servers as well.

The stability is very good. It hasn't given us any issues.

The scalability has been great.

Technical support is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

Our IT team has a lot of restrictions. Therefore, we cannot extend all the functions and all the features that Alteryx has, unfortunately. That's due to the fact that the internal restrictions we have are from a security standpoint.

The desktop license is expensive.

The screen when you are looking into your workflows and your ETL processes needs to be improved. You cannot manage it very well. For example, the column size, and items like that should be adjustable.

I've been using the solution for a couple of years. It's been a while.

The solution has been stable so far. It doesn't crash and freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's good. The stability of the tool is perfect for us.

We've found the scalability to be quite good. We are connected to big databases, small databases, medium databases, any kind of database. For us, it's great.

In Latin America, there are about 30 to 40 people on the solution. In North America, probably a couple of hundred people are on the solution, and in Europe probably over 100. In Asia, there are probably around 50 more, and the India teams probably have a little more.

I've not personally used technical support, however, we have a person on our team who is more of an expert on all of the features. Sometimes, if he has questions, he will contact them. We have a very quick response, from what I understand. So far, it's been a good experience and we are satisfied with their level of support.

We have a few hundred office licenses so far.

I haven't compared the solution to other licenses and therefore cannot really specify if it's the most expensive option or not, or if the current pricing is unreasonable. This is the tool our company's IT team selected for us and we can use it if we need it. It's not something I chose. It's something my company provides as a tool from an ETL standpoint.

What other advice do I have?

We don't use all the functionalities due to the restrictions we have inside our network. So far, what we use is enough. We can't extend to use all the functions and all the capabilities the tools have. However, that is because of the unique internal restrictions we have.

We use the solution just as a reporting tool and consolidate information from different systems to create analytics, however, I know that Alteryx has far more extended capabilities than we have explored. We use it as a personal user tool. We don't use it as a company strategy to move databases from one side to another side and make consolidations. We use it on a very small scale.

I'd recommend the solution to others.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. We've been largely satisfied with the solution.

Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Easy to use interface with a great in-database feature
    • "The support is very good."
    • "The principal problem is the pricing. They're expensive products."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for data preparation, data cleansing, and, in some cases, predictive analytics. That said, the major use is in the preparation of data.

What is most valuable?

I am the sales guy. I don't work with the product every day. However, I hear from my customers that they like the easy-to-use interface. Another feature they like is the in-database feature, and, right now, the new intelligence suite add-on they delivered a couple of years ago.

The support is very good.

What needs improvement?

The principal problem is the pricing. They're expensive products. They don't have an option to scale the product while the customer is starting to use the product. There are no options for customers that want to move from smaller scale and expand the solution to the rest oth the organización. The Designer (pleople who develope models and flows) cost 5,195 USD each one, but if you want to collaborate, you have to buy a server which cost 80,000 USD not matter how many users you have, so you cannot scale from a small group of users to a large one.

It's only available as an on-premises solution.

It would be ideal if the product offered some sot of option for smaller companies.

The solution is hard to scale in that it is pricey. You need to buy a server. You would need to have the correct sizing, and, if you don't, you would need to buy a bigger server, which is expensive. They don't have a way to grow the product progressively, in a progressive way.

The support is very good overall. We are satisfied with their level of service. They are knowledgeable and responsive.

We also use Dataiku. We are partners for both products.

In the case of Dataiku, they have a stacking in Amazon. We are offering this option right now. I know that they are going to deliver an option in Google Cloud also. Alteryx, on the other hand, is only on-premises.

The licensing model that they use makes it a very expensive proposition for many companies. It requires buying a server, as it is only on-premises.

I've been searching about the difference between both Dataiku and Alteryx products. I'm working to evaluate the two and compare them to each other. Technically, we have a customer who is comparing both products, so we have to prepare a document comparing them for that purpose.

What other advice do I have?

We are Alteryx partners.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's a very good product, however, the pricing makes it quite expensive.

In comparison, I love Dataiku. I've seen it's a very, very good product and we are working hard to start offering this product to all our customers. They have an option for companies to from medium-size to large-size. However, they don't have options for small customers. That said, you can start from, for example, an investment in $30,000 and up. You can go progressively investing in the product. That's not the case for Alteryx.

Download our free Alteryx Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: December 2022