We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Logistics improvement Analyst at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Complicated to use for advanced tasks, although good for simple data mining and data extraction
  • "I like the fact that you can easily blend data from different platforms."
  • "Alteryx is just as complicated as coding, in my opinion."

What is our primary use case?

Alteryx is one of our primary tools in our company and we use it mainly for future analytics. We are primarily trying to determine what the past has looked like and then apply predictive analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

I think that our success with this product is mixed. It has probably gotten some people started easily or fairly easily on extracting data. But I also think that to some extent, it puts a limitation on us, because I don't think that we really realized the training that you need in order to be really strong in the product.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that you can easily blend data from different platforms. That is one nice feature.

Additional comment: You can connect multiple input tools to different platforms and use joins/union to either concatenate or blend data in a seamless fashion.

What needs improvement?

Alteryx brands itself as a tool that you can use to avoid having to code. In reality, however, as soon as you start with your task, it gets just a little complex. Alteryx is just as complicated as coding, in my opinion. It is great for relatively simple data mining and data extraction type tasks, and I sure that it can do very advanced things, in particular when you look at the tool installation. That said, as soon as it becomes advanced, it is not very easy to use. In fact, it's quite complicated, so when persons with a coding background attempt to use it, they fall back on trying to code something, instead.

The biggest complaint that I have is that the online help is not very comprehensive. It is very formal, but there are not a lot of examples and use cases, and there are many signs there are difficult to understand. I think that it's a challenge.

In the future, I would like to see improvements made to the machine learning capabilities such that they are comparable with Python.

I have been using Alteryx for three years.

My impression is that it's quite stable. You can easily make small mistakes that have an impact. For example, we use Alteryx gallery and sometimes it seems what when you have a relative path versus an absolute one, it is tricky to keep track of.

I have never spoken with technical support.

This is my first job in analytics where I have used a dedicated tool. Prior to that, I did some work that involved coding.

What other advice do I have?

Although I use this product regularly, I used to code for many years and I am not a big fan of tools like Alteryx. I don't think that it's a good product, and the reason is that when the use cases get more complex, the models get exponentially larger and more complex to put together.

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is not to underestimate the need for training, in particular, when your use cases get a little more complex.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Fabio Doro
Technical Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Excellent support and robust data features
  • "The feature that I have found most valuable for Alteryx is its geo-referencing feature, it is very good. I use it a lot, especially for supply chain."
  • "There could be a bit of improvement related to performance. Sometimes it demands a lot of resources for running it, like memory and search."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a reseller, so I have plenty of use cases. I don't have my own use cases. I actually solve problems for other customers. We have a few use cases with Alteryx - one for supply chain and one for finance as a whole. There is a very large amount of use cases for finance.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable for Alteryx is its geo-referencing feature, it is very good. I use it a lot, especially for supply chain. For finance, we have data landing which we look at a lot. There are models to help improve matching data and more realistic intuition on the data we have.

It is very easy. It is very straightforward. Sometimes you need a bit of help, but it's more like it fixes itself. So if you are used to handling data, it should be very, very easy.

What needs improvement?

There could be a bit of improvement related to performance. Sometimes it demands a lot of resources for running it, like memory and search. One thing that I would like to see is the ability to get all the versions. Currently we have just the current version and the previous version. Sometimes they have no old workflows. They will run and they are in previous versions but we don't have access to it. It would be helpful to have an opportunity to download, maybe not the first one, but a couple past versions that have been useful.

I have been an Alteryx reseller for four years.

Alteryx is a stable solution.

Alteryx is a scalable solution.

Support is very good. They even go beyond what is expected of the basic support for the product itself. Often we see that they going beyond that and providing solutions for the issues that go beyond the product itself. They try to help customers with the data. So I think it's a really good support and I have had amazing experience with them.

The number of people involved in the initial setup depends on the size of the deployment. It is usually very few compared to other solutions. You don't even need special resources, so anyone can do. Even if it is on a server, anyone that knows it can repair the server, keep it running, and deploy any solutions. I think it's very straightforward, even to deploy larger solutions.

It takes between one and three people to deploy, but they don't need to be technicians,  that's the cool thing.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone considering Alteryx, I would say go for it. Trust that there is a really good set of not just in-company support, but also a lot nice and very decent resellers and partners that can help you do anything you want. Overall, if you are looking for data management, if you need to improve your ability to blend data and to get insights out of data, Alteryx is the way to go.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Alteryx a nine.

Learn what your peers think about Alteryx. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Advance Analytics PO at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Nice dashboard and good customizations but can be complex
  • "There are a lot of good customization capabilities."
  • "The solution can be quite complex in some aspects."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for all machine learning projects, including perspective molding. We're using it for our marketing efforts.

What is most valuable?

It keeps on upgrading, which is nice. It's always updating with new releases.

A majority of people at our organization like the drag and drop features.

The database is very good.

Overall, the solution as a whole is extremely useful.

The initial setup is easy.

The security on the solution is pretty good.

It has a very nice dashboard.

There are a lot of good customization capabilities.

What needs improvement?

With some of the features in the database, they don't offer certain things, like Keynote or transposing. I'm not sure, if, with the latest update, they've added these capabilities in or not.

The solution can be quite complex in some aspects.

For some specific coders, it's still is a kind of concern that they don't have coding options available. We're moving to Dataiku due to the fact that it caters to both coders and clickers (those who prefer drag and drop).

I'd say I've been working with the solution for two to three years now. I've been using Alteryx for all my data scientist projects.

The solution, for the most part, is pretty stable. We don't seem to have too many issues with it.

The solution can scale to some extent.

We have about 200 to 300 users on the solution currently.

While the community support offered by the solution is great, if you need to directly contact technical support, it's not so good. Often there are long queues and it takes a while to get help.

I've been using Alteryx for all my data scientist projects up until recently. However, now I'm shifting to Dataiku, which my organization is offering instead.

The initial setup is not too complex. It's pretty straightforward. We found it to be rather easy. However, there are certain implementations that can be a little more complex.

We handled the implementation ourselves in-house.

I'm not sure of the exact cost of the solution. It's not an aspect of the product I deal with directly.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Alteryx.

I haven't updated to the latest version yet. I'm unsure which version of the solution I'm currently using.

We are, as an organization, shifting and moving away from the solution. We are now going to utilize a new tool that is being selected. Due to some complexities in Alteryx, we are moving away from it.

Overall, I'd rate it seven out of ten. It has a lot going for it, however, we need a solution that's less complex and offers more coding capabilities.

Senior Data Architect, Total Rewards Analytics and Insights at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Offers very good data transformation with good scheduling and a straightforward setup
  • "The scheduling within the solution is excellent."
  • "It's a technical product and those that don't have proper training will have to deal with a steep learning curve."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data processing and ETL.

What is most valuable?

Overall, I'd have to say the tool is pretty awesome.

The solution offers very good data transformation.

Users are able to read in from any source, combine heterogeneous sources, and providing output or input to the next downstream step. You can put these things together or you can create very complex or simple flows and then tie them together.

The scheduling within the solution is excellent.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I can't recall a feature that may be lacking. Overall, we've been happy with the solution.

I've been using the solution for over five years now. It's been a while.

The solution is reliable and quite durable. We haven't dealt with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very stable. We're happy with it.

The solution scales quite well. If a company needs to expand it, it should be able to do so easily.

We don't deal with technical support often. We typically have had other people to do that for us within our organization. That said, the support has been there to accommodate us in terms of the different and pretty stiff information security policies and standards. We're mostly satisfied with the level of service.

The initial setup is not complex at all. We found it easy. It was straightforward.

I don't handle the licensing aspect of the product. I can say that we have to have an enterprise license. Currently and periodically that gets challenged and they try to take it away and we honestly have a hard time finding a tool that could replace it. Therefore, we wind up keeping it. It's happened several times.

What other advice do I have?

We're a corporate user and end-user of the product.

While I don't know the version number off the top of my head, I can say with certainty that we are using the latest one.

The solution is going to be best for technical users or people that have hands-on experience with data such as data scientists or people that can be creative and deal with multiple different databases and different permutations in the structured query language right across those different databases.

It's fairly standard, however, not completely, and so, people in that realm tend to be able to function well, people that are analysts may struggle and have a bit of a learning curve that they have to deal with. I've been doing this throughout the information life cycle - about 35 years plus. Therefore, for me, it's my second nature. Others that haven't been exposed to technology over that timeframe may struggle.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Sastry Tumuluri
Executive at Suyati Technologies
Stable with no-code analytics capability, but needs Linux support, better pricing, and better response from their US partner management program team
  • "The philosophy of the citizen data scientist is the key piece, which means the no-code analytics capability. This is the feature that attracted us the most."
  • "It should have Linux support. It currently supports only Windows. It does not support any other platform. Its price should also be lower. Their US partner management program is actually unresponsive. One of the reasons why we don't have a formalized partnership plan with them is because their partner management team is atrociously unresponsive. This is something that they need to change."

What is our primary use case?

We have several Alteryx certified analysts on our team, and we serve customers who want Alteryx. We don't use it in our company.

What is most valuable?

The philosophy of the citizen data scientist is the key piece, which means the no-code analytics capability. This is the feature that attracted us the most.

What needs improvement?

It should have Linux support. It currently supports only Windows. It does not support any other platform. Its price should also be lower.

Their US partner management program is actually unresponsive. One of the reasons why we don't have a formalized partnership plan with them is because their partner management team is atrociously unresponsive. This is something that they need to change.

I have been using this solution for a little over a year.

It is stable.

We are currently using it in environments with fairly low operational needs. For our clients, it is more of an analytics workflow rather than a production workflow. The scalability requirement has not really come up for us in practice.

We have worked with RapidMiner in the past. I am also familiar with a few other solutions that came to me. We are also exploring a partnership with DataRobot. There are a lot of overlaps between products. We have also used a few analytics products.

Its price should be lower. The key thing that we see is that talking about ROI is an important element at the time of purchase. Cost becomes a factor in every discussion. Justifying the ROI for these kinds of workflows is always a challenge, and the only way to counter the challenge is by addressing the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

If a customer already has a data engineering and analytics team, I would lean towards RapidMiner and DataRobot, depending on the specific need of the customer. If they want more AI, I would recommend DataRobot. If they want more analytics and data, I would go with RapidMiner. If they don't have a data engineering and analytics team and they're starting something afresh, or if they have a capacity issue with the analytics team, then I would recommend Alteryx. Alteryx works out pretty okay if they don't have a sufficient number of qualified data and analytics people because it goes with the philosophy of citizen data scientists.

I would rate Alteryx a seven out of ten.

Rushabh-Shah
Manager - Analytics at Bigtree Entertainment Pvt Ltd (Bookmyshow)
Stable, scalable, and offers excellent drag and drop features
  • "The solution has excellent drag and drop functionality. There's no need for coding."
  • "The solution just lacks in terms of data visualization. That is why we use Tableau and Qlik in our organization. They help to pick up the slack. If data visualization was added, Alteryx would be a very good tool, and much more complete."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for ETL purposes and also for a lot of our modeling and scheduling.

What is most valuable?

The solution has excellent drag and drop functionality. There's no need for coding. There are nodes ready for us to use as well. It makes everything extremely easy. The user-friendliness is a big draw for us.

What needs improvement?

The solution just lacks in terms of data visualization. That is why we use Tableau and Qlik in our organization. They help to pick up the slack. If data visualization was added, Alteryx would be a very good tool, and much more complete.

The solution could maybe use a connector as a direct input for MySQL or something like that. Right now, we use ODBC connectors for MySQL. If a direct connector was available on this product that would be very helpful, especially for our organization.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The stability of the solution is good. We don't have issues with the product crashing and we don't find there are bugs and glitches that affect its quality. It's reliable.

The scalability is very smooth. If a company needs to expand the service, they should be able to do so easily.

The technical support is great.

There's a very good community that surrounds the solution. However, you can also reach out to Alteryx directly as well. They're just a call away if you need them. I would say our organization is satisfied with the level of service they provide.

The pricing of the solution is a bit on the expensive side. We use an Alteryx Server and Designer as well. The server itself is a bit pricey.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

Our organization is dealing with large amounts of data, yet we do not have the money to buy a Microsoft product like SQL. Alteryx is a pretty good alternative to handle the ETL part of the workload.

We've been largely satisfied with the solution.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten overall. We've been happy with the results that have been provided to us so far. If the solution offered a connector as a direct input for MySQL, or better data visualization, I'd rate it higher.

Private Cloud
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good connector feature and we can include custom scripts; deep learning models not supported
  • "The connectors are a very good feature."
  • "Deep learning models are not currently supported."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is mainly for advanced analytics, including some bison-scripts for the machine learning on data, as well as data cleaning and data processing activities.

What is most valuable?

The connectors are a very good feature and Alteryx can connect to a lot of data sources and there are a lot of options. We can use the ready-made models in the solution for advanced analytics, and we can also include our custom scripts. It gives a lot of flexibility and there are a lot of characters that are available. It's a very user friendly product.

What needs improvement?

The deep learning models are not currently supported by Alteryx. The world is moving towards more advanced machine learning with deep learning models and integration, and Alteryx should do the same. The advanced features are not there, given that most companies are constantly increasing the size of data. Alteryx is not very robust when it comes to working on large sets of data. The new platforms that are coming onto the market, even the open source technologies, are moving really fast. Alteryx needs to find an edge.

I've been using this solution for at least a year.

This product is quite stable.

There's room for improvement with the scalability aspect, because the size of data always increases and it is not an optimal solution for processing large sets of data. For a smaller data size it works really well. Our developers work with Alteryx and we have close to 10 users. We don't have plans to extend usage.

I've only had one contact with technical support and they were very responsive.

The initial setup was easy. Alteryx is a drag and drop tool so the deployment was quick. It doesn't require a lot of scripting.

Licensing is on an annual basis but I don't work in procurement so I have no idea of the cost.

What other advice do I have?

Any company considering a data processing platform which is light, offers good flexibility, and deals with moderate or low sized data, will find this is a really good spend. If, on the other hand, you're working on big data and a higher volume of data, this may not be the right choice for you.

I rate this solution a seven out of 10.

QA Validation at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to summarize data, easy to scale, good reporting features, and excellent technical support
  • "All of the data science features in terms of unioning and joining data together are valuable."
  • "The only weakness I would say is on the visualization side of having that dynamic incapability."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for KPIs and trending.

What is most valuable?

All of the data science features in terms of unioning and joining data together are valuable. The formula tools are good, and it provides an easy way to summarize data.

It has some really good, solid, basic reporting functions.

It's not as robust as a lot of the dynamic interactive tools, but it certainly gets into the more static reporting very effectively.

What needs improvement?

I know that it is dependent upon having the on-premise and cloud server environments, but even there, the product functionality is somewhat limited.

This would reduce the need to integrate it with other products.

I have been using Alteryx for a couple of years.

I am not using the latest version. I am one version out, and I am in the process of having it updated to the latest.

I generally stay up to date with each release.

I am using the desktop version.

I don't think that there any more issues with stability than would be expected for a product of this type. Those occasional things happen, but it's nothing that is significant.

Alteryx is easy to scale.

We have three people who are using this solution in our organization.

Technical support is very good. They get high marks.

I would rate them a ten out of ten.

We had used JMP, which is a product by SAS, and it really didn't have any capability of doing the automation that Aletryx has, other than some really bespoke programming language. It is a type of script language.

It is very awkward to learn and use it.

The initial setup is definitely straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely advise others to give it a fair look. It's a great product.

It is not marketed as a solution to all different types of aspects of analytics. I'm not going to downgrade it just because that's not within the scope of what they're marketing the product for.

Based on what it has been marketed for, I would rate Alteryx a ten out of ten.