Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Versa FlexVNF OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Versa FlexVNF is #4 ranked solution in SD-WAN tools, #4 ranked solution in top WAN Edge tools, and #8 ranked solution in top Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) tools. PeerSpot users give Versa FlexVNF an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Versa FlexVNF is most commonly compared to Cisco SD-WAN: Versa FlexVNF vs Cisco SD-WAN. Versa FlexVNF is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
Versa FlexVNF Buyer's Guide

Download the Versa FlexVNF Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Versa FlexVNF?

Versa Networks Versa Operating System (VOS) is a next-generation operating system that is highly pliable. VOS empowers service providers, organizations, and businesses to deploy an extensive variety of software-defined solutions, including Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) and Secure SD-WAN in satellite offices, cloud, campus, and data centers.

The Versa Director, a single-pane-of-glass management platform, administers and provisions all security and network functions of a VOS deployment for either cloud or on premises. Versa Analytics collaborates with Versa Director to deliver full transparency, predictive analysis, baselining, and correlation for application, network usage, and security events. Versa Analytics will thoroughly analyze and filter all logs, export reports, application usage, and network security. The information is collated to make searching events super fast and easy, and will deliver comprehensive intuitive directives.

VOS is a multi-tenant, cloud-native, and multi-service software stack with a complete set of networking functionalities, such as advanced scalable routing and full-featured SD-WAN. This makes it feasible to easily create dynamic managed services and software-defined enterprise architectures that are very flexible and scale easily.

VOS is specifically created using enterprise-class carrier-grade operational functionalities such as distributed management and data plane fabric with on-demand capacity and embedded elasticity. Enterprises and service providers are empowered to seamlessly integrate advanced networks and security functions into any desired process using robust service chaining for third-party services and appliances.

Versa Operating System Benefits

• Cost-effective: Versa VOS is deployed using a low-cost x86 architecture and appliances. VOS makes use of next-generation developments in virtualized infrastructures and processors. This minimizes the need for excessive capital purchases and costly upgrades that are customary with traditional legacy network hardware devices.
  • Flexible deployment options: Versa VOS offers the broadest offering of deployment options in the marketplace today. VOS can be deployed in SASE, new SDN environments, cloud, and legacy environments. VOS has been developed to run seamlessly on bare metal Versa Cloud Gateway (CSG) groups of appliances using cost-effective pricing and industry-leading next-generation features. VOS is able to run on preconfigured certified white box platforms, IaaS platforms (Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and Oracle), and hypervisor VMs (Microsoft Hyper-V, KVM, VMware ESXI). VOS delivers high performance and throughput by fully utilizing Data Plane Development Kit (DPDK) support and robust multi-core processors.
  • Seamless operations: VOS is out-of-box operational and fully supports industry standard protocols and log formats such as SNMP, IPFIX, Netconf, and Syslog. This makes VOS easily compatible with existing reporting, monitoring, and network management systems.
  • Scalable: The multi-tenant and cloud-native software services platform seamlessly integrates networking and security services, which enables VOS to scale easily on demand and maintain high availability, service continuity, and delivery of both third-party network security functions and Versa VOS.

Reviews from Real Users

“They are pretty transparent on every layer of the networking to build the SD-WAN. Troubleshooting is easier due to that. They, it seems like, do not try to cover or wrap the SD-WAN into my interface, which would make it difficult to troubleshoot. They really open up every part of the technology so that if there is an issue, it would be easier to troubleshoot. It's very powerful, especially for engineering teams. And yet, they manage also to keep it from being too complex.” - Networking Consultant / Networking Business Manager at a tech vendor

Versa FlexVNF was previously known as FlexVNF.

Versa FlexVNF Customers

CenturyLink, RCN Business, Colt Technology Services

Versa FlexVNF Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Versa FlexVNF pricing:
  • "While I cannot provide too much commentary on the price, I feel it to be fair for the moment."
  • "It is not very expensive because of the white box support. Its hardware is much cheaper than other products. With the support for x86 and white box, it is one of the most cost-effective platforms that are currently available."
  • "We provide subscriptions for our customers on a yearly, not monthly, basis."
  • Versa FlexVNF Reviews

Presales Solutions Consultant/Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
    Very user-friendly and nimble software platform solution
    • "Their dashboard is also a good point for us and the customer. The solution is very clean and easy."
    • "Another thing that should be improved in Versa are their firewall features."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product and also implementing it for our clients. We manage everything for the customer. We use it here on our platform and also manage the solution for our customers for whom we install it.

Let's say a customer is on premises and he wants to move to the internet but wants to keep the interconnection between their sites. He doesn't want to remain embedded. We would propose Versa in this case.

Also, if a client asks us for more reporting, more analytics and more monitoring and our embedded solution can't do this as a single solution because it would be very heavy and expensive, we would propose Versa. The client finds the analytics and monitoring in Versa very easy and very clear.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the most valuable features of Versa, I should know because I have also used Cisco, Fortinet and VeloCloud at a previous company where I worked. I explain that between Versa and VeloCloud I find that Versa has more features over VeloCloud. I do think that you have less regarding the firewall features compared to other solutions, though.

Their dashboard is also a good point for us and the customer. The solution is very clean and easy, but it depends what the customer has and how we can integrate it with their current network.

Another thing is regarding the analytics. We have about 15 sites in Europe, the US and Asia. I do some administration for the analytic portal, and this side is very interesting for the customer because today Versa has an embedded solution and we don't have the visibility for all the sites they're using.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, I would say that since we're using more and more 4G today, the product should have two slots for 4G and also have the equipment for giga ready. It should not have different equipment to have a giga bandwidth. For example, it should have 110 and 200, 810 and 800. It would be good if they had only one product that goes directly to the bandwidth for one gigabyte and not necessarily to have different products to do it. Of course if I compare it to only one gigabyte, the price also needs to be reduced.

Another thing that should be improved in Versa are their firewall features. You have their firewall license secure solution but if they could include more features regarding their firewall protection and data protection it would be good. This is because when we go to a customer who also wants a firewall they compare it to other products on the market that are doing more with the firewall. As you know, Fortinet is very strong in this point. If they could put more features on this side, they can be, maybe not equal, but improved.

Our company has been using Versa FlexVNF for around five years with our customers. Our network is on the ISP here in France and our AVN solution is only based on this product.

Versa FlexVNF
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Versa FlexVNF. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is stable. We haven't had any issues, and neither have the customers that already have it running for two or three years. They have stability on their end. The only stability issues are on the circuit and not on Versa's end. Sometimes the line is cut, so the customer will have an issue. But we don't have any issues with Versa.

In terms of scalability, it doesn't matter if the company is large, medium, or small. We can use it for small and big companies - there is no limitation there. It is not always the company size that matters. When we go to a market segment and a big company, they may not know Versa at all. They may know VeloCloud better.

I can say that I am satisfied with customer support but I'm not quite sure because it is my colleagues who manage this part of support. We have our technical support that manages Versa, the circuit, and all the vendors who are also on our platform.

In terms of the initial setup, I can't answer that because I am just from the sales side, I don't do the installations, my colleagues do it. What I see from the customers that have installed Versa is that the initial step on the starting configuration is very easy. A half hour or hour. My colleagues who use it here in the company manage it and they have a full version for the configuration.

The issue that is difficult for us is when a customer needs firewall features included and he already has a firewall in place that he asks us to replace and to install the features from Versa. It is very complicated for us because it means more time to install since we need to export all the other features that already have rules in the firewall and to put them in Versa. That takes time.

Regarding the price, we can make do with its price today, but I am seeing from our competitors that this market is becoming very aggressive. We lost some projects because we didn't have any strategy to deal with the price. We think that when we discuss the quality of the product the price won't be an issue, so we do not propose it as "low-cost" for this reason.

Currently I propose Versa. That's the platform for my strategy. However, the market is not ready to propose a solution to a customer that's managed by an ISP. So, in the beginning they investigate VeloCloud, Cisco and Fortinet. But in the end they select Versa because it is small and easy for customers, and it has many features that are very interesting to the customers.

Today, when we look back, it was the right decision to choose Versa and our customers are very happy that we only propose this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We always propose only Versa solutions in our quotes for our customers when we have a new project. I only recommend Versa. VeloCloud was the first one to market and for customers that is very important. Customers ask me for a comparison between VeloCloud and Versa since VeloCloud was the first one on the market and he wants to be sure that if he goes with Versa it will not be a mistake.

For me it's not enough just to be first on the market. I know Versa, but I know it's not enough. VeloCloud solutions are more public for companies and buyers than Versa is.

These are the only two products that we validate that are in the regular network - Advantec and them.

On a scale of 1-10, where one is the worst and 10 is the best, I would rate Versa Flex an 8.

It is not a ten because it has a lot of features on the equipment and it is really heavy on the portal. It's not really friendly. Maybe they could do something different for users or administrators to have a friendlier portal.

Hybrid Cloud
    Networking Consultant / Networking Business Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Transparent with fair pricing and good reliability
    • "It's very powerful, especially for engineering teams."
    • "The interface could be simpler."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for SD-WAN with the built-in firewall, the NG firewall.

What is most valuable?

It's very powerful, especially for engineering teams. And yet, they manage also to keep it from being too complex.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It has very good reliability.

The product is scalable.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be simpler. There have been improvements over time, however, it could be improved further. While nothing is lacking in terms of information, if they could make it simpler for non-technical users, it would be easier to understand and could be used by more people.

We started using the solution about a year ago.

It's stable. The cloud basically is only for orchestration. Once the equipment has been set up it's going to be running well, and quite independently. Even if there is an update in the cloud,  for example, the path to the cloud is gone, it will still suffice. It would still run. It's very reliable.

The scalability is pretty good, actually. The internal processing is light. It could scale much bigger than compared to the other SD-WAN solutions that I'm aware of. Even the small unit actually could scale for 1,000 branches already.

They're helpful, however, we actually rarely use them. It's almost never happened, in terms of having any issues.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Mostly, customers rely on the engineering team. They just start to run it once it is deployed. Normally, the setup is headed by the engineering team.

The deployment really depends on how fast the rollout would be needed. The deployment is easy, however, it depends on the location. We could deploy a few units a day, for example, as it all can be handled and secured on the cloud from the orchestrator. We could easily deploy 20 a week unless we are talking about moving to different locations.

The value of SD-WAN is that it can cover a wide area. Therefore, in most cases, the delay is actually about the delivery of the unit to the location.

Once the hardware arrives at the location and the network connectivity from the provider is ready, it would take just minutes to turn it up. The readiness of the place, the readiness of the connection, and any delays in the delivery due to the courier or the shipper all play a role in how long the deployment will be.

Normally we have two or three people handle deployment.

Usually, we deploy to small branches of ten to 30, depending on the office size.

The ROI is not really calculated. I would say the experience of the user improves a lot. This means that always come combining the MPLS plus the internet, for example, users would enjoy bigger bandwidth. Their application or file transfer is faster. It's not only about something that could be quantified. The better experience on the user side is definitely something we can see, however.

Price-wise, it's quite fair with the list of capabilities on offer. If we use the features a lot that enables the NG firewall for SMO. It's much cheaper than having a separate SD-WAN unit and an external firewall. All the package features if all put in together and enabled, make it more competitive compared to the other brands.

The price can be negotiable. The cost depends on the size. It includes firewall features. It includes tech support from the vendor's side. The licensing system with the subscription, it's all included.

I really like the option to include the NG firewall due to the fact that, in total, that would be cheaper compared to having an external firewall and the SD-WAN unit.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Versa partner.

I don't recall which version we are using.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

I would recommend a field test to new users. Don't just look at the paper. Try to experience it in the live network. Most of the time, that could really make a difference. If customers would like to know about it, the better way is to have a proof of concept or live demo in their network running for a certain period, with their network running on top of this SD-WAN as that's what really actually makes the difference. They could see the improvement firsthand. They could see that the bandwidth is increased. Or find out if it really could replace the MPLS with the internet. Those are the things that on paper, sometimes we could not really feel or know.

Other
    Versa FlexVNF
    September 2022
    634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Priyank Dubey - PeerSpot reviewer
    Product Management - Enterprises Managed Services at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
    A flexible, stable and scalable solution
    • "The flexibility is a great feature."
    • "Future releases should contain AI for the voice feature."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for SD-WAN as well as SD-WAN plus security NGFW, UTM. We use the combination of these three as they relate to multi-sites.

What is most valuable?

I especially like the flexibility of being able to choose the license based on customer application requirements. Also, when it comes to the hardware, certain support or different switches will apply. However, the software's flexibility does come with a price for the customer. There is flexibility when it comes to upgrading to a higher bandwidth or license, as well as when combining with the security solution, NGFW and UTM.

To sum up, the flexibility is a great feature.

What needs improvement?

I don't have issues with the hardware, as the requisite capacity is visible in the data sheets. All the details in the data sheets are accounted for. But, I find myself confused when it comes to combining this with the software. I have not come across documentation on the Versa website which would provide information about the parameters for selecting the appropriate license. For this we are assisted by the solution's design engineer and the Versa team. I do what I can as a project manager and make the best suggestions I am capable of concerning the competition.

Future releases should contain AI for the voice feature. SSL VPN is lacking in the solution. I wish to see this in the near future.

I have been with Tata Communications for approximately two years respect this product. I have made a good contribution to the onboarding of Versa FlexVNF and the development of SD-WAN products in Tata Communications. As I have been working with Spectra on the same product, I can say that I have been doing so with the solution for this length of time.

I have not encountered bugs in the solution.

I have not come across limitations in the solution. I have worked on the 300 series, the 700 series and the 1000 series, but there are no limitation within the box. The important thing is that the combination of the box and the license provide the correct solution. That's what comes with this. Otherwise, we must consider the hardware and configuration details in respect of the throughput authorization when it comes to 100 Mbps for NGFW or 400 for UTM. These are especially present in terms of the configuration of the box against the bandwidth.

As I am in product management, I have not had occasion to contact technical support. This would be in the purview of team delivery, support, provisioning or engineering teams. Occasionally, technical account managers also provide assistance.

The installation process was complex. Templates are there and we can pretty much put those straight into the Versa director and push them for other sites. A single template spokes other templates. This would involve a change in bandwidth or configuration. We make the changes on the template and push for those particular sites. So, when it comes to Versa director and analytics, it's pretty simple.

I should note that Citrix or Cisco Meraki are coming out with more competitive prices. The comparative pricing can pose an issue for us, as we are the ones who supply the solution. While we make adjustments to the solution, the majority of our customers have right templates and feel that they are able to get the same SD-WAN solution that fulfills our requirements for, perhaps, a price of 20 to 30 percent less than what we provide on Versa.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that a person come with data that meets his needs, which would provide hima good basis for selecting the correct sizing.

I rate Versa FlexVNF as an eight-and-a-half out of ten, owing to the issues concerning the size of the box configurations and licensing. But, this rating also reflects the flexibility of choice afforded by the solution, as well as its futuristic approach that allows one to upgrade it to the next level of technology. It is very close to the next level of technology and one can actually upgrade his solution anytime over the cloud and to the central processor without the need to visit the field. That's simplicity.

Good security and VPN features with the ability to expand
    • "The initial setup is simple."
    • "The VPN feature is relatively new. It came out two releases ago, and they're still fixing that up."

What is our primary use case?

It's an SD-WAN solution. It's a feature-rich network router, which gives you, at the site, WAN optimization.

What is most valuable?

It gives you firewall features, so security features, and it also gives you the capability of VPN as a feature, so all your services are hosted at the site, and you can access it remotely. These are some top features. There is QS, which it also offers. Basically, it is an all-in-one, feature-rich SD-WAN router.

It's multi-tenancy, which is an excellent feature. On the same CPE, we can have multiple organizations running simultaneously, which is nice. Everything is controlled centrally from the data center, from the head end, which can be remotely, and you can remotely push configs on it.

The Versa Director, which is the GUI, is what we mostly use to provision to do any type of configuration.

The initial setup is simple.

The solution is scalable.

It's stable.

What needs improvement?

It's relatively new.  I'm primarily in the testing part. I find bugs day in and day out. There are a few particular bugs that could be improved and dealt with.

We don't get the performance value Versa has promised for one of the devices that Versa recommended, the CSG device. In the next release, they are saying they will fix that. However, most of my bugs already have a fixed version release, so they are going forward with it.

The VPN feature is relatively new. It came out two releases ago, and they're still fixing that up. There are still some gaps there, so the RAS feature is definitely getting better, yet there are still some gaps.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is actually quite buggy as it is relatively new.

However, it is stable. The older features, like the next-gen firewall, stateful firewall, application-aware routing, AAR, and SLA monitoring, these type of features were the first-gen features and are very stable. They work as expected.

It is very scalable. That is the main feature of SD-WAN. It's extremely scalable and it is very easy to reuse templates and bring up multiple sites at once.

Technical support is beneficial and very knowledgeable. They understand issues very well. They come back with the fixes. We are very satisfied with them.

I have done the implementation multiple times. For me, it is quite easy. It is not so complex if you have the right people to do that initial training.

The deployment of the entire environment might take about two weeks or so if you have the right people, environment, and devices. Within a month, you'd be able to have everything set up if everything is in place.

How many people you need to deploy the solution depends on the scale of how big you want it and how many customers you're going to have. With a server, I can just build the entire thing on my own. That said, it depends on the scale and the environment that you're going to build it on.

We did the entire deployment internally. There is documentation that can support you that and there is also the Versa support team that helps a lot.

I'm not aware of the licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user.

I was in a different company before working with SD-WAN before. This is a new company for me. We don't have live customers yet.

If you're going to start using it, it's best to pick up a feature at a time and follow the documentation carefully. Try to configure it yourself and understand what's happening exactly. It's just a lot of hands-on work that really helps to understand what is going on with Versa with the CPE. That's how I learned that solution.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Vishal Kale - PeerSpot reviewer
    Deputy General Manager- Solutions Engineering at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Good security features, good GUI interface, and easy to deploy
    • "It is very easy to deploy. The GUI interface is really good, and the security features are also very good. It is also stable and scalable, and their support is also good."
    • "SASE is the next big thing that is coming up, and it needs to be developed in Versa. This is the only thing that needs to be adapted very quickly by Versa. With the pandemic going on, I would like to see more features for working from home. They have launched Versa Secure Access (VSA), but it is currently immature. They need to tighten it up for work from home and SD-WAN concept."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider, and we provide WAN services to various enterprise clients. We were among the  first three CSP's to launch SDWAN services in India with the help of Versa. Later on, we adopted Cisco and Fortinet platforms.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to deploy. The GUI interface is really good, and the security features are also very good. It is also stable and scalable, and their support is also good.

What needs improvement?

SASE is the next big thing that is coming up, and it needs to be developed in Versa. This is the only thing that needs to be adapted very quickly by Versa.

With the pandemic going on, I would like to see more features for working from home. They have launched Versa Secure Access (VSA), but it is currently immature. They need to tighten it up for work from home and SD-WAN concept.

I have been using this solution for three-plus years.

I don't see any issues on the stability front. We have been using this product for three-plus years, and I did not see any issues related to stability.

It is pretty much scalable. Currently, it is on around 5,000 of branch location, and I don't see any problem on this front. We are providing services to enterprise customers, and we will be increasing the capacity of Versa.

Currently, approximately 1,000 plus employees regularly use Versa for various teams , and perform actvities such as  as deployment, assurance life cycle management, engineering, and PoC.

There are no issues with their support. Their  TAC support is very good at identifying and resolving problems.

When you try to build a headend, it is a little bit complex, but after you are able to do that, it is a bit better and straightforward. In terms of duration, Versa headends in HA mode generally require four weeks. For Versa branches, you can do zero-touch provisioning.

While Head End deployment is at par with other SDWAN providers the branch deployment is is not very expensive because of the white box support. White box hardware  is much cheaper than other products. Apart from White boxes you also flexibility to use Versa Boxes , In My opinion  it is one of the  cost-effective platforms that are currently available

When we were trying to implement SDWAN four years ago, the engineering team had evaluated many products. One of them was Cisco iWAN, which was later changed to CISCO Viptela. We evaluated Versa because of the white box and x86 support, which is a special feature. We went ahead with Versa because Cisco iWAN was not a stable platform at that time. Later on, we have added Cisco, Fortinet, and other SDN platforms. There are loyal customers of each and every solution or platform.

Versa is good for medium and large enterprises. If you want SD-WAN for small enterprises, Fortinet is good. Fortinet is ahead of Versa in terms of ease of deployment. It has controller-less architecture.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to just go through all the documentation for its implementation. Versa has a huge repository for documentation. It is not that tough. Just go step by step, and you will be able to do it. If you miss one or two steps, it can get quite difficult to troubleshoot and implement it. That's why I advise following Versa documentation step by step.

I would rate Versa FlexVNF a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Network Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Straightforward setup, good scalability features, and can be configured and managed from anywhere
    • "The division of Control Plane and Data Plane is most valuable. It can be deployed anywhere, and you can control it and configure it from anywhere. This is one of the good features of this solution."
    • "I heard about them for the first time just before I started working on Versa. They do have blogs for information, but they could publicize more about the documentation and architecture. It doesn't seem to have that much exposure, and they should work on their customer base more."

What is our primary use case?

I am working as a network engineer, and I test the performance of virtual routers and other products. I work in a lab environment where we test the performance of these products. I have worked on Data Plane for Versa. We have a controller deployed, and we have different templates on it.

What is most valuable?

The division of Control Plane and Data Plane is most valuable. It can be deployed anywhere, and you can control it and configure it from anywhere. This is one of the good features of this solution.

What needs improvement?

I heard about them for the first time just before I started working on Versa. They do have blogs for information, but they could publicize more about the documentation and architecture. It doesn't seem to have that much exposure, and they should work on their customer base more.

I have been using this solution for only six months.

It is easy to scale if you know about the SD-WAN technology, and you have worked on a similar solution. It is similar to other SD-WAN technologies and components. If you are experienced in working with other SD-WAN products, it will be easier. If you don't have a clue about it, it will be a problem.

In terms of the number of users, in my team, there are 15 to 20 people. We get a requirement, and then we work on it. For example, a customer has a requirement for Versa Flex to be deployed in their environment. Sometimes, there may be ten people working on it, and sometimes, there may be just two people working on it. It depends on a customer's requirements.

Their technical support is good. We directly communicate with Versa if we have any issues or questions. Their response time is really good.

Our issues were related to some glitches. Some of our test cases were also not working fine. They helped with what we were doing wrong. In our test environment, we had different configurations, and they were pretty helpful about that.

I've worked on Viptela's SD-WAN technologies.

It has a straightforward setup.

What other advice do I have?

If you are trying to implement Versa Flex, I would recommend understanding how all the components work and stick together. You should know this because this is a next-generation technology using which you could deploy an orchestrator in other environments. You can then deploy your nodes on various sites, such as a physical site or a cloud environment, and control them from there. You should have good knowledge of how this technology works, and then you should appropriately use its new features, which segregate it from legacy routers.

It is a great product with good scalability features. It is good compared to other leading products in the market. I would rate Versa FlexVNF an eight out of ten.

Mehmet PALA - PeerSpot reviewer
    Expert IP Access Engineer at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Has a dynamic VPN feature and network traffic is clearly visible
    • "The product has a dynamic VPN feature for SD-WAN."
    • "The solution lacks a mobile version where small, manageable platforms can be developed."

What is our primary use case?

I'm an IP access engineer and we are customers of Versa.

What is most valuable?

The product has a dynamic VPN feature for SD-WAN which our customers use for their network. Another valued feature is the application awareness with its VGA engine which enables visibility. Customers can see their network traffic with whatever application is being used.

What needs improvement?

The solution lacks a mobile version where small, manageable platforms can be developed. Our customers sometimes want to collect analytical data on-premises, and we're unable to provide those features. Perhaps Versa can develop virtual appliances for site-available solutions, like analytics or management. Our customers would like to see a server VPN and mobile applications.

I've been using this solution for four years.

We deployed the latest version last year but there were so many bugs that we quickly reverted to the previous version which is stable. When the vendor releases new features, we now test them and do a POC before implementing them.

The solution is scalable. We have 200 workers using Versa WAN solutions. They run the gamut from network admins to security admins, installation guys, field engineers, technical account managers, and more. They use the product to check endpoints or data analytics.

Customer service is good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The solution is easily deployed on virtual machines, but the integration process takes time due to the service provider's requirements. The deployment is doable because the solution is developed for the service provider. It's a difficult question because the difficulty is service providers. We have to implement many systems to different platforms and if there are no integration systems, the development is simple.

This solution is relatively new in Turkey and despite them not increasing the license price, it's a relatively expensive solution. The solution has new features and if a company doesn't need those, they will find a cheaper option. We sell SD-WAN solutions as a premium VPN service, and the license is a little expensive for Turkish customers, but there is no real alternative.

We looked at some other solutions but couldn't find an alternative. We're now deploying Huawei SD-WAN solutions and will possibly deploy Cisco antenna because we are buying Cisco browsers but they lack sufficient security.

PranavGupta - PeerSpot reviewer
    Assistant Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
    A stable and scalable solution, but should have better security and more knowledgeable tech support
    • "The solution is stable and suitable."
    • "The security should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use 21.2.1, which is the latest version of the solution.

The solution is already deployed and we use it for our customers.

The solution has different uses, depending on the customer, some using it for firewall protection and others only in its SD-WAN role. Different customers have different subscriptions.

We are talking about a managed solution. Say, for example, one has broadband linkage and 12X link. A separate structure would be required for these links. With our solution, we can create the traffic on both the links and it is auto-managed. We can select the best route. This way, if it seems that broadband link has dropped, the link will automatically be shifted to our next best route. There would be no need to deploy a firewall in it, as it is already embedded in our solution. This saves our customers from having to deploy the firewall.

What needs improvement?

The security should be improved.

The support could be more knowledgeable.

While I joined this organization just two months ago, my company has been using Versa FlexVNF for around a year.

The solution is stable and suitable. We have been using it for a number of years.

The solution is scalable.

The tech support does not have familiarity with its product. They could be more knowledgeable.

Installation took about an hour.

Only a single available person is needed, someone who will provide us with the internet over the site, the branch being used for the deployment. Otherwise, we need nothing at all, the internet at the branch sufficing for us to handle everything else on our own.

We provide subscriptions for our customers on a yearly, not monthly, basis.

What other advice do I have?

In our organization, we lend support to almost 300 different customers. This is in contrast to Fortigate, in which the number we are talking about involves 100 customers.

We do not use the product. We are its providers.

I would definitely recommend this product to others. An SD-WAN solution is appropriate for everybody.

I rate Versa FlexVNF as a six out of ten.

Download our free Versa FlexVNF Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022