Salah Rashwan - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Innovation Officer at Imbassy
It has streamlined how we generate, use, and store business data, saving thousands of hours of manual work
  • "We like how UiPath is designed for low-code or no-code users. It's less complicated, enabling everyone to use it with only a basic knowledge of automation or data. Generally, I also like UiPath's ability to mine processes and analyze user interactions to generate analytics."
  • "A task capture feature enables you to capture the workflow from a process and record it. This feature isn't as specific as I would like. It should be able to capture every detail. The same goes for process mining when it comes to system loads. It's already the best, but I think it could be better."

What is our primary use case?

I implement UiPath for other companies. My specialization is software integration and digital transformation. I also manage UiPath for some organizations. We're a digital marketing agency that helps companies undergo a digital transformation for data and analytics. We help them automate marketing and data analysis for researchers and the organization itself.

The primary use case is to help the marketing department collect data about user experience and interaction. We also automate repetitive IT work and connect it with marketing. In other words, we extract data from the IT operations to use for marketing purposes. UiPath is also used in every department to reduce manual work.

UiPath has workflows and templates for every use case. We use nearly all of them in all departments with pre-configured templates and workflows, but we mainly use UiPath for IT operations, marketing, and finance. And the three are our primary use for it. We build the procedures and generate automation. We use public, private, and hybrid clouds, but we mainly use public and hybrid clouds for our services. It depends on the client, but sometimes it's private.

How has it helped my organization?

We previously did everything by hand because we had no automation knowledge or experience before we started using this product. Before we started implementing it for others, we began using it ourselves, and we saw a 200 percent increase in performance in the first three months after launching UiPath automation.

At that point, we realized we could do the work of twice as many employees without hiring more. With UiPath, we can build, monitor, manage, and do many things that used to take so much time and account for a lot of our operating costs. The most important benefit was a reduction in the risk of human error. In addition to saving time and money, we can grow much bigger daily. We can automate more as we gain more experience, collect more data, and amass more insight. The benefits are compounding as time goes on.

We only had two or three clients when we started working as integrators and service providers two years ago, but we've grown significantly since then. It became harder to handle as we started getting more clients and revenue. That's why having an easy-to-use solution that allows end-to-end automation without much effort is crucial.

You need end-to-end control and easy management when doing this work for multiple clients or providing support to other teams. It's vital to have end-to-end capabilities without complications, making things harder for us. UiPath is helping the company grow faster and making our operations more efficient. We can automate the specifics of finding out how much everyone is working, enabling us to recognize and reward hard-working employees. Without automating the process of understanding every employee's impact, we could never find this out. For example, some employees may work longer than others, but they might be less effective. It's challenging to discover this without tools driven by AI and machine learning.

Overall, it has streamlined how we generate, use, and store business data, saving thousands of hours of manual work. This Automation Cloud app feature doubles the benefits of UiPath by enabling us to generate apps from the data we collect and the automations we create. Ultimately, this translates into considerable savings in time and money.

Automation Cloud has helped tremendously by turning complicated, complex coding work into drag-and-drop templates, so we can build automated processes in minutes. It has enabled us to realize a lot of value from our employees who lack coding knowledge. They can now participate and create apps for us and our clients.

Most other tools lack enough documentation, or the onboarding experience has a steep learning curve. It's hard for junior employees who lack coding or data experience. The fact that UiPath is accessible is crucial for our employees and those who work for the organizations we help monitor and manage. UiPath is an industry leader in enabling everyone to learn, and they provide rich visual courses that take you from A to Z. I usually don't have to hold a junior developer's hand and answer lots of questions. I only need to send the links.

The material UiPath provides is enough for them to get started. With other tools, we always have to turn to the community and YouTube videos or Google how to do something. They also don't get the complete picture of the use cases or what to do. After using UiPath Academy courses, they have a comprehensive understanding of everything and can easily find whatever they are searching for in the documentation or the academic studies. So it's a very mastering point for them to provide these courses and enable it for everyone.

What is most valuable?

We like how UiPath is designed for low-code or no-code users. It's less complicated, enabling everyone to use it with only a basic knowledge of automation or data. Generally, I also like UiPath's ability to mine processes and analyze user interactions to generate analytics.

Through task mining, UiPath can generate AI-powered analysis, and it has a Document Understanding feature that enables it to extract information from submitted images and data. We also appreciate the added value UiPath provides for customer service and user experience. It can automate ticket handling and responses. This has saved thousands of hours. Document Understanding has made a massive difference by analyzing and extracting everything from user submissions, then putting it into tickets and generating customer satisfaction scores.

What needs improvement?

A task capture feature enables you to capture the workflow from a process and record it. This feature isn't as specific as I would like. It should be able to capture every detail. The same goes for process mining when it comes to system loads. It's already the best, but I think it could be better.

I need all details of a log file from every software and ERP to discover the pain points and bottlenecks. It usually understands where the most automation value is delivered but could generate more valuable information. Sometimes it's the same data from a different ERP, but it doesn't generate the same insight from it 100 percent. There's a slight difference, whereas they are supposed to be practically the same.

I also think the UiPath community needs more attention in terms of how they engage with the community and what they recommend. I find that they hardly engage with the community compared to others. To be clear, I think they are doing well, but they could do better at engaging with the community and encouraging community members to engage with one another. I feel like it's not the most active community with the most active management. At the same time, there's also much information in the community, and they're always sharing information with us. Still, I think UiPath could achieve a better experience by putting a little more effort into the forums.

UiPath
January 2023
Learn what your peers think about UiPath. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2023.
672,785 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using UiPath for about four years.

I rate UiPath support a seven out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

I have previously tried IBM Process Mining, Automation Anywhere, and Blue Prism. I think the ease of building automations is the main thing that differentiates UiPath from the rest. There's a single-user interface that gives you the ability to create automated processes without much advanced data or logical knowledge. We can find pre-configured commissions for specific use cases for our clients, but we also build custom services for specific users.

Compared to other automation tools, it's much easier to build and manage workflows and find an opportunity for more automation within the interactions. And I barely plan for automation by myself. UiPath's end-to-end automation also separates it from its competitors, which tend to have separate tools for each operation. Mining is separated from RPA, but UiPath provides an all-in-one end-to-end automation tool.

What other advice do I have?

I rate UiPath an eight out of ten.

Disclosure: PeerSpot contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner
Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Helps us easily implement rapidly changing new business requirements
  • "The best part is the way UiPath provides the ability to automate everything, including the architecture and Orchestrator. The interfaces are very user-friendly and intuitive. It's very easy to build automations. Someone who is not very technical can understand quite a lot and start to automate."
  • "I faced a problem when a new version of UiPath Studio didn't work with an older version of the packages that were part of our project. The problem is that when I have to change something just a bit, I actually have to rebuild the automation with new versions of these libraries. There is no backward compatibility."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the automation of internal HR processes in our company.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps with the ease of implementing new logic from business requirements, which very rapidly change.

UiPath has also helped because fewer people are engaged in the processes we automate, and they can do more important things. It saves our staff time, on the order of 80 percent. In terms of employee satisfaction, I don't really know how they feel, because they are not in my department, but I believe that when you don't have to do such routine, repetitive work, you can have a coffee and come up with ideas on how to improve the automations. That is, by far, better than clicking and typing thousands of forms.

Also, there is less chance of a person making a mistake. If a given operation would take one person, for example, two days to do, the automation can do it in one hour, or even 30 minutes. It is very useful. We saw benefits with the first automation that was implemented, because it started to work and free people from routine work, within the first second of the automation working.

We have a lot of automations that involve filling forms on the internet and creating events in a calendar. There are a lot of fields to fill out. When creating these meetings, you have to add a description and pick the actual time. All this stuff should be done precisely, because if there is a mistake, somebody will not come to this meeting, or the information will not be applicable. Now the number of errors is zero because robots don't make mistakes.

We also don't need to involve the IT department, and we now have 15 automations. The group of people who implement it do the maintenance as well. We don't need IT and, actually, everything works fine without any maintenance. The problems come when there are updates, but the time needed for maintenance is very small.

Because we don't need to create virtual machines to install the solution on-premises, the cost is as little as it can be. Of course, we have to create several virtual machines for actual clicking, because the robot works the way a human does. But it has definitely helped with our on-prem footprint because we don't have to install the core of the system on-premises. I know, from my experience, that those kinds of core components take a lot of hardware resources. They would not require just one virtual machine; it would be a bunch of virtual machines. It is definitely very efficient to use the cloud solution from UiPath.

UiPath reduces costs because it reduces the time it takes to create automations. You don't have to write the actual code. You just build automations with higher levels of abstraction and you don't have to worry about what is done behind the curtains.

What is most valuable?

All automations are built starting with process analysis, then robot building, and monitoring. One person can gather the requirements, build the automation, and monitor it. This end-to-end coverage is very important. I can't even imagine how it would work if not in this way. This is the essential part of the automation: the idea, the implementation, and the maintenance.

UiPath's approach allows adding new workers, new agents, or robots to perform quicker and in parallel. For example, if you create two extra virtual machines with two extra robots, a whole bunch of operations will be performed three times faster. This kind of implementation is very convenient. And, we can change the way automations are deployed in Orchestrator and make it more efficient as well. We can do all these kinds of things really easily and quickly, like in minutes or less than an hour. That helps to scale things. You can change something in an automation in several minutes and deploy it or publish it in Orchestrator, and it already works. The challenge of implementing innovation can be addressed very quickly and very efficiently. The challenge is that we have to change our automations because other applications change with time. They have new user interfaces. But we don't need to upgrade anything to automate.

Several of our team members are studying the UiPath Academy courses at this moment. It has definitely helped because they get to know about new features that make automations more mature. One of my colleagues said, "As I read and study more in this course, I begin thinking more creatively and in more interesting ways." That means their understanding is growing and that it is changing their perceptions of what they can do with UiPath.

The information in the Academy is structured, starting with simpler concepts and moving to more advanced levels of knowledge, gradually. Also, you really learn about things you haven't used before. Thirdly, it leads you to the certification exam and getting the certificate on passing this exam. That makes you a good candidate for better jobs.

UiPath also has a very nice community of developers. When I face problems that I can't resolve by myself after several hours, I Google it in the UiPath Community and almost every problem can be solved by searching their resources. I work with different vendors and not all of them have such a big and open community. This is a real advantage. I'm not very familiar with other communities in RPA, but I can say that this community is, by far, more useful and more open than any other vendor's community I have seen.

What needs improvement?

I faced a problem when a new version of UiPath Studio didn't work with an older version of the packages that were part of our project. The problem is that when I have to change something just a bit, I actually have to rebuild the automation with new versions of these libraries. There is no backward compatibility.

This question was addressed to an engineer from UiPath in the Community but I haven't gotten an answer. This is quite a hard question. So, I just create new automations with new approaches, which takes some time.

I have been using UiPath for about eight months.

The solution is very stable compared to other enterprise tools. Even if there is an error, if you handle it properly, everything works perfectly. From the point of view of UiPath developers, everything is done on a very high level.

It is scalable. However, to see the scalability you have to use the Enterprise Edition, because the Community Edition doesn't allow you to use more than one robot. But the mathematics are very easy: The more robots you have, the faster everything happens.

The number of automations will grow in our company.

I haven't used their technical support.

The initial setup was easy. It took a few hours.

We are using the Community Edition. The cost is only that of the virtual machines.

The pricing of the Enterprise Edition is a bit high. It's several thousand dollars a month. That's too much, because not every enterprise or organization can build such useful robots that will make it worthwhile for them to pay this much. Maybe the cost of the program could depend on the number of automations, or the complexity of the automations.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is cloud-based, but you have to have some components deployed on the local computers. That is the architecture of UiPath, but the base of the infrastructure is in the cloud.

My advice is to just implement and begin automating. You don't have to even learn something before it, because everything is very intuitive.

UiPath
January 2023
672,785 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ken Tyson - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. financial Systems Manager at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
An extremely stable solution that has saved us about 140,000 clicks, 250 hours, and hiring of 5 temps
  • "The GUI is valuable, and it's extremely stable. I've had six or seven Studios open at the same time working on different things and nothing has crashed on it."
  • "They say that everybody can do it, but not everybody can do it. You need to have some form of technological understanding about it, and just because we can automate something doesn't mean we should automate something. That's where I think there's a marketing thing. I understand where they're going with it, but it's not necessarily how real life is in my perspective."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for admissions policy and also for other financial items such as 1099 reporting from the IRS and things of that nature. There are some manual refreshes of systems and Excel documents that we have automated.

It is currently deployed on-prem, but we are looking at the cloud option. We are using version 2019, which is probably one of the oldest ones. It's pretty old. We're looking from a perspective of whether we upgrade it before we move to the cloud or whether we move to the cloud and upgrade.

How has it helped my organization?

We have seen quite a bit of benefit. We used to hire temp staff labor in order to do our admission policy, and now, we don't have to hire them. That would be five part-time people that would come in seasonally. For three or four months, we would have five people just cranking away the admission work. We don't need that anymore because of automation.

There have been time and financial savings. On the other side of the house, some of them are attended bots. We've saved the organization about 140,000 clicks. People don't have to click 140,000 times anymore. As a small estimate, we saved the organization about 250 hours last year. If everything goes to plan, this year, we're looking to save about 450 hours from the financial side of the house. We're only scratching the surface of it, and there is always room to grow.

We're still working through it. We recently stood up our system developer space. We have about 16 processes. We're still new at it and still in the beginning phases. We're really looking forward to pushing that envelope. Currently, we have a hybrid of attended and unattended automations. It's about an even split.

What is most valuable?

The GUI is valuable, and it's extremely stable. I've had six or seven Studios open at the same time working on different things and nothing has crashed on it. It's very stable software.

I love the community. The community is awesome. That has been very helpful. It provides value in terms of just being able to bounce ideas and understand. Sometimes, I try to do one thing, and I just want to know how to do one thing, but that's where the community can help broaden and look at it from a different perspective.

What needs improvement?

I am not looking for any additional features. I haven't even used all the features. I'm still learning the platform as it stands and figuring out what's still available.

I have been using it since 2019.

From a system perspective, it's stable on my end. It just works. That's the best part about it. It just works.

Scalability gets a little bit sticky. That could be just because of where we sit in the organization, I don't manage that relationship of licenses. I only get so many licenses and I'm like, "Well, can I get more?" It's definitely a limiting factor, but I don't know if it's us limiting it from a cost perspective.

I haven't had to use their support. I go to the UiPath community for most of my questions.

We used Microsoft Power Automate. It was okay. I totally prefer UiPath.

I was involved in its initial setup. UiPath was not complex, but we, as an organization, made it complex.

We used a partner AKOA that got bought out by Roboyo not too long ago. So, we did use a partner to implement it. In terms of whether it was smooth or not, it was okay. Our school made it hard.

Our experience with them was good and helpful. It was a good way to go through it. Now that we know more, I would've changed the engagement slightly to get a little bit more consulting in the sense of the COE, governance, and other similar things around it. That's because for the most part, getting the system up and running was relatively simple, but now, with the whole other pieces of it, we're starting to feel some of that effect. It's now about how do we look at it from a different angle.

We definitely have a return on investment in terms of hours and soft cost perspective. We are saving 250 hours and don't have to hire five temps. I can't give the metrics for ROI, but from a time savings perspective, ROI is definitely huge.

We did evaluate other options. We evaluated Automation Anywhere, Blue Prism, and UiPath. It was about a year-long evaluation period between all of them, and UiPath was clearly the winner. It was clearly out there as the leader in that space, and that's why we chose them.

From our perspective, the GUI was really helpful and very different from the others. Automation Anywhere touted more of just invoicing, but we didn't want it for invoicing. We wanted it for multiple things. UiPath really showed the breadth of what you can expand across.

What other advice do I have?

To someone evaluating UiPath, I would definitely advise finding a partner. Find a partner with whom you can partner and who understands the use cases of what you're trying to do and achieve from an organizational perspective. Without that, you're not going to get an ROI.

I would also advise managing expectations. It's fairly easy to use, but it still requires technical abilities. Don't think that it's something that you can just plug and play and do whatever you want. It's not going to work that way. It's more about the person and the change in mindset. If a person is open to an automation mindset, RPA is a really cool function, and UiPath solves that particular mindset. Without it, it's an uphill battle. Even from our perspective, from an education side of the house, getting our educators to be okay with automation is tricky.

We haven't yet used UiPath's AI functionality. We are definitely looking into it to see how we can start taking advantage of the AI pieces of it and advance that side of the house. Currently, we are trying to change the automation mindset. I'm a big RPA evangelist in our organization, and I am trying to promote things like automation. People are on board with the thought of it but not necessarily on board with the action of it. So, we really have to understand their process when we get into their process, and some people are apprehensive to share that information. It's the other parts of the piece that we have to deal with.

We have used UiPath Academy courses. It was useful to know the use of the product, the use of the GUI, understand how things move and change, where the checkmark boxes you need to check are, and all other uses. Now with the new versioning, it looks like a more curated function. It's a lot nicer. Previously, UiPath Academy was just a bunch of courses, and you didn't know where to start. The curation for developers or users is going to help people navigate through the UiPath Academy.

Overall, I would rate UiPath a nine out of ten.

Senior Director, Enterprise Technology at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Was easy to spin up a concept, prototype a demo with stakeholders, and demonstrate value add right away
  • "It should be less focused on the howtos and more on demonstrating business value add. A business outcome should be that I was able to approve something in however many days or hours compared to my peers when I benchmark across my peers. That would be a business outcome as opposed to a technical outcome,"
  • "It should be less focused on the howtos and more on demonstrating business value add. A business outcome should be that I was able to approve something in however many days or hours compared to my peers when I benchmark across my peers. That would be a business outcome as opposed to a technical outcome."

What is our primary use case?

We used it to orchestrate the transfer of data across authorized systems of record, such as Salesforce and we use it to authorize systems or artifacts like Google Sheets and Spreadsheets. We also use it to have a dashboard view and to automate manual user behavior to cut down the time it takes to process specific transactions.

How has it helped my organization?

UiPath has reduced human error. With the very manual nature of formulas in Google Sheets and Excel that now can be performed using UiPath and so Spreadsheet controls have been tightened.

The automation cloud offering helps to decrease the solution's total cost of ownership by taking care of things such as infrastructure maintenance and updates.

We were able to significantly cut down time and hours on some of the key processes which then frees up people to focus on their day jobs as opposed to manual routines with predictable processes. We see 75% time savings.

The use cases revolve around polling data from multiple systems, but when that has been automated using a bot then that takes that time away. You spend less time gathering the data points and more time doing exception management and reviewing the data.

Those manual hours translate to cost savings and that definitely can help us scale and grow. We were able to see at least one full-time employee equivalent savings.

Saving employees' time has allowed for employees to focus on higher-value work. Rather than spend 80% of their time looking for data, they are now spending 80% of their time really addressing the nature of the data, like what went wrong and trying to gain actionable insights as opposed to trying to figure out whether the data was complete, to begin with.

This has impacted employee satisfaction. One of the key challenges with remote, work from home has been the higher probability of employee turnover and burnout. Also, as part of job satisfaction, working on the right things at the right time and marrying professional and personal endeavors and aspirations, from that respect, UiPath has freed up a lot of employee hours spent on manual routine tasks. That really gave them a human element in everyday work, which revolves around getting value as opposed to merely collecting data.

AI helps to automate processes that are more complex. Part of it is that it is very precise with attended versus unattended elements and it also really understands that the key is not to give everything away to the bots, but it's almost always trading off and achieving a balancing act. Where human intervention is still needed by only at the right time and looking at a small sample as opposed to the entire population.

The AI functionality enabled us to automate more processes overall. We've been able to venture from beyond regular G&A processes to more HR processes. From applicant to hire, it elevates the employee experience and does not just look at scaling.

I'm a big fan of the Academy because it has let me self-serve in a way that I was quite accustomed to.

What is most valuable?

The point-and-click approach is a great sell. I'm not proficient with Studio but I found it easy to spin up a concept, prototype a demo with stakeholders, and be able to demonstrate value add right away.

What needs improvement?

Venturing more outside of our Windows environment and more towards OS will help.

It should be less focused on the howtos and more on demonstrating business value add. A business outcome should be that I was able to approve something in however many days or hours compared to my peers when I benchmark across my peers. That would be a business outcome as opposed to a technical outcome, which is all about how many hours did you save? What were the exceptions you saw? Were you able to shut the bot down? They're very different paradigms. UiPath needs to flush out that business element because a lot of us make decisions on ROI. It's hard to convince executives and management if we only focus on the technical.

It's a hard place to balance because there are people who are business savvy, who are looking for ROI, and then there are other people who are just getting into these programs and these solutions. I need to understand the technical aspect of it.

The other part of it is understanding how UiPath plays out in the ecosystem of available cloud applications and other enterprise software used. A lot of the software out there in the market, such as Workday, has native automation, point and click customization, and automation, potential, and capability. UiPath may want to think about how it plays with these other products as opposed to in place of. We have built teams that have developers who are really proficient, including me in NetSuite and other products. Every day we want to make sure we're using UiPath the right way so that we're not squandering or wasting resources because the same time spent on UiPath could be spent redirecting UiPath elsewhere. That application is inherently not sophisticated enough to handle customization.

We've been using UiPath for one and a half years.

The initial setup was fairly straightforward for us. We actually worked with a partner. We ultimately put it on AWS just for continuity and it was pretty straightforward for us. We don't really have too many bots going anyway.

The actual deployment didn't take a lot of time. A lot of work was spent only because a lot of work was already invested in building out the prototype which mirrored all of the manual processes. We recorded the manual processes and attempted to replicate as much as we could. We did the proof of concept demo without key stakeholders. So by the time we came to building out the actual work in production, it was just replicating what we already had in the prototype.

We are fine with licensing and pricing. We just need to see where we are in our adoption. I don't have enough of a sense of what the different levels of usage could be.

We evaluated other solutions. Back then the community platform was easy to download and it had a couple of ways of gaining access to software from having access credentials to tokens which is a lot more secure for us. There were also managed packages in UiPath that were readily available that spoke to NetSuite, Salesforce, and Excel. It was a no-brainer.

What other advice do I have?

We only have two developers on it, they support it. We don't have citizen developers. The plan is to continue to see if we can get value add and go beyond the processes that we've addressed and maybe put out a team.

My advice would be to be open; it doesn't have to be all or nothing. I've seen users get tripped up over the fact that every time they think that providing value add through manual intervention, through exceptions, they almost always think it's 100% unattended.

At the end of the day, we are not taking away anyone's jobs. Almost always, there will be an attended piece. It's like driving the car on a freeway. You have the ability to put it on cruise control and the ability to put your foot on the brakes. That's what most users forget. They ask about audit internal controls and on our end, UiPath recently attained SOC 2 type two certification in June of this year, which is great. The reality is there's always a manual human compensating review element, so there shouldn't be a risk if it's built right.

I would rate UiPath a seven out of ten.

RPA Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
The end-to-end coverage is important, as our clients prefer one tool to meet their needs and plans
  • "The fact that you can scale automations without having to pay attention to the infrastructure for doing so is quite critical. The infrastructure could require a lot of maintenance resources and affect costs, so that feature is quite important."
  • "The only thing missing is something to track the development cycle. We use third-party tools to do that."

What is our primary use case?

I am a service provider and developer who implements UiPath for our clients. But in the company that I work for, we also use UiPath to make invoices for ourselves and, mainly, for payroll activities.

We need to get reports from our HR tool and combine them with another source of information where employees are recording the hours they spent with various clients. We then create the documents needed for the IRS. In our case, all the users of UiPath are data entry specialists in different departments, such as HR, finances, and marketing.

How has it helped my organization?

UiPath definitely helps reduce the cost of digital transformation.

It also reduces human error. We can be sure, given that our test case is successful, that there are no errors when none are reported. This definitely helps businesses. Errors generally lead to work being postponed. When errors come back to someone at a given point in time, they can rapidly overwhelm that person. With automation working, this is no longer the case because everything is smooth. And if there are errors, they will resolve them one by one.

In addition, it definitely frees up employee time. That is the purpose of automation. Unfortunately, I can't share metrics about this. But the additional time enables employees to focus on more important work and that affects employee satisfaction. Repetitive tasks make people irritated about the nature of their work. When they can work on new tasks that are more complex and creative, it makes an impact on their job satisfaction.

UiPath saves costs in our organization because we don't have errors where it is deployed and because it has reduced the number of FTEs who do repetitive tasks. On average, within a small company, it can save up to 10 FTEs.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is that UiPath is easy to deploy, especially for medium-sized companies. It is also easy to scale.

Also, the fact that you can scale automations without having to pay attention to the infrastructure for doing so is quite critical. The infrastructure could require a lot of maintenance resources and affect costs, so that feature is quite important.

UiPath enables you to implement end-to-end automation, with its full range of tools, starting from Automation Hub, which is the initial point for gathering your processes from business lines. It's driven from employees or a center of excellence, and goes on to include implementation, and the reporting in Orchestrator is quite powerful as well. The end-to-end coverage is important, as clients always like one tool that covers their needs and plans.

What needs improvement?

The only thing missing is something to track the development cycle. We use third-party tools to do that. That is the only gap in UiPath.

Also, scheduling of UiPath robots could be improved. Scheduling is a feature for defining in what sequence, and on what machines, you want your automations to be launched. That area could be improved.

I have been using UiPath for more than three years.

Overall, the stability of UiPath is about average. We do have some instability, because of workloads that are too massive for Orchestrator, but it could be that it was not installed in the right way.

Scalability is connected to the stability. The situation I noted when talking about the stability of UiPath happened for our largest client, where they already have 160 processes running. There are problems with the maintenance of such a large number of bots.

But in terms of increasing our usage, we are in a phase with our clients in which we are constantly enlarging the automation within their companies.

UiPath support is definitely willing to help. They will usually propose a call, if they think that will be easier for solving an issue. Their services are quite good.

We did not have a previous solution, except for Excel macros.

It is relatively easy to deploy. Of course, it's not as straightforward as a simple application installation, but with the help of UiPath, in particular, or with the help of the UiPath Community Forum, which is quite enhanced with answers about installation, it's not a big deal to install it.

Taking into consideration internal IT restriction and internal IT resources, deployment can take up to two weeks.

Our deployment strategy usually involves convincing clients that they need to start setting up a center of excellence for automation and then there are lots of initiatives that need to be undertaken within the center of excellence. Among the most critical are awareness, dealing with IT stakeholders, and of course, the capabilities of developers. Taking care of those things will lead you to a smooth path for digitizing the first processes, which are low-hanging fruit. The further you go, the more you can then enhance your automation with the more advanced capabilities, like AI, Document Understanding, or chat bots, et cetera.

Deployment of one robot takes about three months and up to five people. We need an SME who knows the process that is being automated. In addition, there is usually a business analyst who tries to help optimize the process so that it will work better with robots. We need a developer, of course, and we usually have a data solution architect who helps to ensure that overall infrastructure is functioning. It also helps to have an automation evangelist on the business side.

We have two roles for UiPath maintenance. One is the IT maintenance guy who makes sure the VM is working correctly, and that we can easily scale from the infrastructure perspective. The second role is the operator, whose day-to-day tasks include scheduling the bots correctly, implementing quick deployments by creating assets in Orchestrator, and maintaining things from an RPA perspective.

ROI usually takes six to 12 months.

Licensing is quite complex, and sometimes that's true even when we have to explain it to our customers. There may not be a way to do it more simply.

The only potential additional cost when implementing UiPath involves the third-party tools. It can be a quite big portion, of course, so you should consider that aspect. Examples would be integrating different systems within a company, systems such as Salesforce, SAP, or ServiceNow; all of the main CRMs that businesses use.

We looked at the main competitors, Blue Prism and Automation Anywhere. The decision to go with UiPath was based on contacts we have, clients who had already implemented RPA. We got better feedback about UiPath from them.

What other advice do I have?

The first thing to consider within your organization is whether it's easier to deploy it on-prem or via the cloud version. Then focus on how to structure your development team. It can be either entirely a third-party service provider, or in-house developers, or it could be a hybrid. The third thing to consider is what the cost center will be for RPA implementation in your company.

The marketing side of how easily you can build automations with UiPath is a bit exaggerated. You definitely need some programming skills to do very powerful automations with it. But it still provides various levels of development tools, meaning that you could have zero programming experience and still automate some processes in your company.

UiPath is definitely the market leader in RPA. The biggest lesson I have learned from using it is to start with the low-hanging fruit, and then go on to more complex stuff.

Lead Engineer RPA at HCL Technologies
If you have repetitive tasks, you can apply this solution and have your people trained to do other work
  • "if you are a business user, even if you don't have a technical team, you can install the second version of the Community edition, which is StudioX. This is specifically made for business people who don't have a lot of ideas about technicalities. This is a great feature."
  • "The Document Understanding feature should be more developed and advanced. For example, you have to make a template with their ML model. Currently, we can't use our own ML model, and we have to use the UiPath ML model. UiPath has only a few ML models right now. They should come up with more ML models or make it easier for us to use our own ML model."

What is our primary use case?

Most of our use cases are related to business, like reconciliation and reporting. Therein, they have some internal applications to automate SAP automation and Salesforce Automation. Our most recent use case is related to documents, like the invoices coming from customers. We have to extract that data from invoices via different formats, e.g., some are digital formats and some are scanned formats. So, we have to extract the data, which we are doing with the help of UiPath.

We are using both attended and unattended automation. For 90 percent of our use cases, we are using UiPath for unattended automation.

I use UiPath almost every day. When I finish developing one process, there is a new process to develop. If a process is complex, it almost takes six to eight weeks to develop it, then you have to deploy it for monitoring. After that, the next process comes up.

How has it helped my organization?

UiPath helps based on how it is configured. In our case, there are so many transactions coming in, it is not possible for a human to complete them in nine hours (working hours). So, we went with unattended bots, which we mostly run at night. We start the bots after the working hours of humans, so when the operations team returns in the morning, their work is complete.

From a developer perspective, the process is smooth and easy. You can find a solution on Google easily. You can develop your own code. From a technical perspective, it is 100 percent.

What is most valuable?

UiPath Studio is great. It has all the activities. You don't have to write anything. Even after that, if you feel that you have to do something for yourself, then you can write your on-premises code in it and develop your own framework. Everything is there. You just have to use UiPath Studio.

What needs improvement?

If websites are made in a recent programming format, it is very easy to automate them with the help of UiPath. However, if that technology is based on legacy applications, then it is very fragile and hard to do that. So, we have to choose the technology first, and if the technology is new, then you can easily automate it with other applications or the help of an RPA tool.

The process can be complex if an application is a legacy application or the data is unstructured. The analysis of some bots is lacking. If a customer asks for analysis of a particular bot, you cannot just get the data from the UiPath and give it to the customer. It is not that easy. I would rate this process as a seven or eight (out of 10).

The Document Understanding feature should be more developed and advanced. For example, you have to make a template with their ML model. Currently, we can't use our own ML model, and we have to use the UiPath ML model. UiPath has only a few ML models right now. They should come up with more ML models or make it easier for us to use our own ML model. While they are working on this, I have felt much difficulty in extracting data during our last process for Document Understanding. We had to go with the Python language. So, I think they are lacking in this feature.

After deploying the bots in production, processes are very stable, unless something happens with the machine. You don't have to monitor a process every time. So, I am very impressed and satisfied with things.

We are looking to update to version 20.

This solution is very much scalable. If you are working in a small or large organization, it doesn't matter. It is very much scalable, up to anything.

We have a team of around 100 to 120 people in RPA automation, in which 60 or 70 users have the developer license.

I am very much impressed and satisfied with the UiPath solution. Earlier, I used the Automation Anywhere solution, and it is sort of messy and complex. You have to pull everything from a single workflow. Then, I moved to UiPath, and everything was very sorted. If you really like coding, you can do that. It gives you a real developer type feel.

Developing and deploying robots with UiPath is very straightforward. It hardly takes five minutes to deploy a process on Orchestrator.

The last process that UiPath covered saved the work of two people.

If you have repetitive tasks, you can apply UiPath and have your people trained to do other work.

If you want to start doing RPA, I think you should definitely go with UiPath because it has the Community edition. You can just install it and check whether or not your process works fine with UiPath. It will be an attended bot, but you can form an idea whether your bot can easily be automated.

We have one use case related to Microsoft Word Automation. Word Automation is not compatible with other tools. However, in UiPath, we were able to write our own code to automate and format the Word document, which is why UiPath Studio is the most valuable feature. We are also using the Automation Anywhere. But, in Automation Anywhere, we cannot write our own code. So, we can't automate Word Automation from Automation Anywhere as well.

Automation Anywhere has come out with its own new version of 2019, which is as effective as UiPath. However, when I have tried to run or deploy the bots, it still lacks in features. For example, in UiPath, AML activities are coming up very frequently. Whereas, in Automation Anywhere, these features are lacking, which is why I go with UiPath. Also, Citrix automation is very good with UiPath. You feel like you are able to detect the elements and images.

UiPath gives you REFramework, which is absolutely amazing for business use cases. Automation Anywhere also lacks this feature. With Automation Anywhere, you need to make your own framework, and if you are making your own framework, then the look becomes messy. If someone is trying to understand it, then they have to spend more time on the framework to understand it.

I use the IQ Bot of Automation Anywhere, and even after training a hundred documents, it's not picking up or extracting the data from documents. I feel like I have to train the model again, which is not the case with Document Understanding. If you properly make the templates in Document Understanding of UiPath, it gives you full text values. So, it is more advanced and suitable for me.

What other advice do I have?

We use UiPath Assistant to run processes about 10 percent of the time. Most of the time, we are using Orchestrator.

UiPath releases new features every 15 days to a month. They have already come up with AI and machine learning.

If scanned documents are coming in for some of the work, we are also using Python language for this.

If you already have a technical team, then you can ask them to look into UiPath Academy. If they have basic knowledge of programming or coding, then even in seven days, they can easily learn UiPath and start applying it in their organization. You don't need to hire outside developers.

Overall, the solution is a nine (out of 10).

Sachin Vinay - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Administrator at Amrita
Helped us reduce the number of people handling sensitive data, and saves us considerable time
  • "The option to record processes is the most important feature of UiPath. We can use it to record every action automatically and it is then converted to a workflow. This workflow defines the complete set of processes so that we can automate every requirement."
  • "We have used it with Windows and it has been perfect. But recently, we tried it with Linux and we faced some issues regarding this automation. The auto-recording didn't happen as much as in other operating systems. They need to add more user-friendly automation and templates for that. They don't have many templates for other operating systems."

What is our primary use case?

We were looking for robotic process automation and we have been trying the UiPath Community Edition. We mainly need to automate day-to-day activities related to wireless connections, such as our WiFi device registration process. We currently have three to four employees currently doing this process and it is really time-consuming. We want a bot to do these repetitive procedures.

We will be doing the same procedure for server-side configurations as well for repetitive Windows-based processes. We are looking to save most of the system admin headaches.

How has it helped my organization?

We have three system admins and had three to four data entry people. These people uploaded our WiFi registration information daily for the university. After this implementation, we saw a drastic change in the time this process takes. People were taking five to eight hours to do everything, but now, the task hardly takes one hour or less for a bot to do. We don't need dynamic data entry operators anymore because the robots are easily handling all the dynamic data, updating it to the server in minutes.

End-to-end automation also means a lot to us as an educational organization that is concerned about security. We prefer to have fewer people involved on the operations side. By using bots we can reduce the number of people handling sensitive data. With the implementation of the bot, it now takes only one person, the UiPath administrator, for these tasks to get done. He is the only one required. He just needs to review the activities. We have been able to considerably reduce our staff costs.

Also, RPA software does not need a break. It can operate 24 hours a day and 365 days a year. In most cases, a single RPA robot can replace two to five full-time workers. Robots can do the same amount of work in less time.

It's really a cost-effective solution. There are minimal operating costs and we can make more efficient use of IT resources. In that way, we are saving a considerable amount of our yearly budget. We can spend much more money on other productivity items, rather than giving tedious tasks to employees. Overall, UiPath has reduced our costs by about 40 percent.

Another important aspect is that it is highly secure. There is absolutely no risk of information leakage from one component to another, because each only performs a single task. Access is strictly monitored, making it highly secure.

We have been on the path of digital transformation for the last three or four years. We have purchased many new technologies to move forward. UiPath has significantly reduced the cost of this process. We don't require further hardware to automate something. It is completely a software-based solution. Even with Community Edition, we are able to use all the features of the product. The limitation is the bot count. We can only use three or four robots. Still, it is the best solution.

In addition, we were prone to many human errors and this resulted in complex issues with our clients. Regarding our WiFi infrastructure, we faced hundreds of issues daily with misconfigurations. With the UiPath implementation, these errors have been reduced considerably because everything is automated. We need much less human intervention. Errors are now negligible.

What is most valuable?

The option to record processes is the most important feature of UiPath. We can use it to record every action automatically and it is then converted to a workflow. This workflow defines the complete set of processes so that we can automate every requirement.

A related feature that is one of the highlights is the AI. We have used many other scraping solutions, but none of them was effective. UiPath, however, can easily scrape data from webpages and applications and it works flawlessly with any program including .NET, PDF, legacy, and SAP.

UiPath has three components, UiPath Studio, the robots, and UiPath Orchestrator. UiPath Orchestrator is a web-based application for deploying, monitoring, and scheduling bots. With Orchestrator we can manage everything regarding the bots. We can customize the actions, but there are also templates. For example, one of the templates enables you to upload to OneDrive from Excel sheets. We just add the parameters and the automations are done.

We have used a few of the UiPath Academy courses, basic classes, because we use the Community Edition. When we move to the more advanced version of UiPath we'll be doing more of the classes. The Academy is very user-friendly. We don't require any further lectures or other sources for learning. A user can watch these videos and start operating the next day. All the actions and features, everything, is clearly demonstrated in the videos. It has proved to be very informative for us.

What needs improvement?

We have used it with Windows and it has been perfect. But recently, we tried it with Linux and we faced some issues regarding this automation. The auto-recording didn't happen as much as in other operating systems. They need to add more user-friendly automation and templates for that. They don't have many templates for other operating systems.

I have been using UiPath for six months.

It is extremely stable. We can actually trust the bots more than humans because it is completely error-free.

We currently have the Community Edition but we are moving to the other version so that we can deploy more bots. As a testing phase, we have limited it to only the IT department of the university. We have about 25 users of UiPath in that department.

The Community Edition is not that scalable, but the Enterprise Edition is completely scalable.

We haven't had to contact them for technical help.

This is the first automation tool we are using.

The initial setup was very simple. It only required a few clicks. After the implementation, to configure it, we required more advanced help and guidance.

It doesn't require attention for maintenance or updates. The updates work flawlessly.

We have no other product with this much return on investment. We are able to save money and time. No other product guarantees saving both at the same time. Sometimes you need to compromise on money to save more time. But in the case of UiPath, we definitely save on both.

And UiPath has features that can enhance our server team. They can actually move into becoming UiPath administrators after getting used to this product. So the return on investment is huge in terms of time, cost, and exposure.

The Community Edition is free for everyone and you get all the features, but there is a limitation on the number of bots. The Enterprise Edition is a bit costly for the advanced features.

We did not look at any other tools. We were not even planning on going for UiPath, but a friend, a peer from a different organization, suggested that I check into it. We became very interested in it after testing it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend UiPath for IT-related implementations because it can save a huge amount of time. Whether you are a small business or a large enterprise, all kinds of companies can use it for automation. It reduces costs and helps with efficiency. If you are considering any other AI-based solutions, I would still prefer the UiPath Community Edition. It has a large set of features and is free. If you like it and it suits your organization, you can then go for the paid version.

Hamdhan Khan - PeerSpot reviewer
Robotics Engineer Lead at Phoney-Tech
User-friendly and feature-rich with excellent third-party integrations, the solution saves us thousands of hours
  • "UiPath's OCR enables data processing of handwriting, which in turn allows us to automate elements of the billing process from incoming customer checks, which is a fantastic feature for us."
  • "The UiPath Academy courses could be improved, there are many courses, and some are more useful than others. I would also like to see improvements in course categorization to make it easier for newcomers to learn the solution."

What is our primary use case?

I'm the lead robotics engineer in my organization, and we are involved in marketing and research for new technologies such as mobile phones and laptops. We are an organization with 219 employees and started using UiPath for laptop marketing and advertisement for our customers.

Our clients have different requirements and strategies, and we build software robots tailored to their needs. A customer can send an email with attached PPTs, Excel sheets, PDFs, and images, and the bot can extract all the data and express it in the required format. This is uploaded as an article onto our website, and on our platform, so the marketing, advertising, and technology solutions specs are taken care of without any human intervention or involvement. We designed 39 robots for the same number of clients.

Our second use case is for invoicing; customers share checks for payments with us via email, and we have bots to extract that data and input it into our SAP ERP system, which is fantastic. The RPA automates billing on the financial side of our organization.

We use the solution across 17 locations with servers managed centrally from our main office, connected using the UiPath Orchestrator. We have 19 licenses but only use 17 currently. We don't have more than seven end users as this is purely a tool for internal use; our customers don't have access.

What is most valuable?

Document Understanding is an excellent feature; it's very easy to use and provides the required data in a structured format.

The solution has excellent integration with third-party tools.

We use ServiceNow, which is connected to UiPath, and they have fantastic integration. Therefore, we have calculated our time savings to be approximately 91,000 hours in the current year. Automation is a critical time-saving solution for us.

What needs improvement?

Customer support could also be improved; they are very knowledgeable and helpful but hard to reach, and there are delays in getting to them.

We encountered some difficulties on the OCR side, and I requested new features and capabilities to address these. This may be an oversight on my part, but I would say some aspects of the OCR data extraction process can be improved. OCR and screen scraping are the only data extraction methods which isn't good for redundancy. I want more options in this regard, so this is another area with room for improvement.

We have been using the solution for nearly three years.

The solution is stable; we didn't have any downtime outside of updating our environment.

The solution is very scalable, and many managed packages are available to make that easier, as well as the drag-and-drop functionality.

We plan to increase our usage and are in touch with the UiPath sales team to discuss purchasing new licenses. We have around 60 new customers and need to upscale the solution to accommodate them.

The customer support team's expertise is impressive; they're very expert. However, raising a ticket is complex, and there can be significant delays, which isn't ideal when waiting for a fix. There is no clear route to contact UiPath, and this information isn't shared with new customers. If you know how to get in contact with them, then they are very knowledgeable and quick to help, but establishing that contact is difficult.

There was one occasion when I submitted a ticket and discovered it had been sent to their sales department after a couple of days, but I required technical support. There have been a few issues like this, but once you contact them, the support is fantastic.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I previously used Automation Anywhere for over three years at a position in a manufacturing organization. When I came to my current job, it was my choice to go with UiPath, and I chose it because it's more affordable and has better integration with third-party solutions such as Service Now, Office 365, and Check. Another consideration is OCR, as Automation Anywhere can't extract data from handwriting to my knowledge. UiPath has excellent capabilities, is efficient, and is more user-friendly than Automation Anywhere.

The setup was somewhat complex, as it was a new product for us, and we didn't have a clear deployment plan. The challenges weren't on UiPath's side; they were on our side. We had to build some infrastructure to support our on-premises deployment, and UiPath provided helpful instruction to assist.

Overall, the deployment took approximately three weeks and involved nine staff in total; my director, myself as robotics lead, two consultants, a developer, two members of the infrastructure team, and two staff from UiPath's side.

They could be better at sharing the appropriate setup information with the customer, as it was difficult for us to follow the steps outlined in the provided documentation. We had to get help from the technical support team, who are experts; they did what took us over a week in two days. If a good course were available in the UiPath Academy, that could have saved us that time. I must say that the UiPath technical support team was a great help during the setup. They provided substantial practical information and were central to our planning and implementation strategy.

Every solution requires some maintenance. As our deployment is on-premises, upgrades to our environment necessitate some downtime, usually one and a half to two days. One day to integrate the UiPath guidelines on updating the solution, and another day to upgrade the environment.

Our OpEx and CapEx costs have been reduced by around $38,000. Before using an RPA solution, we had 17 employees responsible for data entry and uploading. Now, we have robots doing these tasks, resulting in considerable savings. I would say our ROI is significant.

We find the yearly licensing cost affordable, and the UiPath pricing team is very accommodating to us. They allowed us to pay in installments during the integration phase. The friendly pricing is one of the main reasons we chose the solution.

We purchase 17 to 19 licenses and typically use 14 of them. They offer free extras like attendant reports, the Action Center, and Document Understanding APIs. The pricing and licensing are exceptional.

What other advice do I have?

When using Document Understanding with PDFs, if the document is over 16 pages, then the UiPath API must be used, which is available from the orchestrator. The API is both important and easy to use.

Our HR department is looking to hire an additional 17 employees to assist in managing our customers. We receive substantial data every hour from our 30 customers, which require reports.

I highly recommend researching the solution and contacting UiPath for support with a proof of concept before any implementation. Having a plan and an idea of how to build the infrastructure is essential. UiPath is one of the best solutions available, but I would advise customers to follow the steps very closely during implementation.

Download our free UiPath Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: January 2023