IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Business Intelligence Expert at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
We freed up a lot of our sales team's time to work on more value-added tasks
  • "UiPath has helped reduce human error. We are working with clients where it is very important to provide them their necessary services. We are a telecom company, so we are providing activation of numbers, etc. If people are doing this manually, it can cause inconveniences for our clients, but it might also put the reputation at stake. For example, because when people do it manually, they can send out the wrong invoice. This is a huge reputation risk, because sometimes we are working not only with just a person, but with a business. When we work with other companies, it is important to do things accurately. When the robots do things, there is almost a 100% probability that they won't make any mistakes, like typos."
  • "UiPath could improve integration with other platforms, like the SAP platform. I heard that SAP has their own automation processes in their platform and they are trying to avoid integrations with RPA platforms. Sometimes, that can be difficult. UiPath's room for improvement is having the ability to integrate with as many platforms as possible."

What is our primary use case?

We are a communications company who works with a lot of clients in our country. Now, we started using automation when working with business clients. Many processes were being done manually, e.g., activation of numbers. In order to alleviate the work of our sales team, this process was automated.

I haven't automated any of my work because the queue for processes that need to be automated is large.

My company uses Studio for our developers and StudioX for attended robots.

How has it helped my organization?

It is very important that we can scale automations without having to pay attention to the infrastructure. After one year, we have already automated almost 200 processes. Since the number of automated processes was large, a lot of people's time was freed. This solution is very important because we have a large subscriber base in our country, so we have become very efficient.

UiPath enables us to implement end-to-end automation, starting with process analysis, then robot building, and finally monitoring of automation. This is very important to my company because in the future we will have contracts with UiPath to sell licenses and provide the same experience to other companies, helping them automate their process. Therefore, it was very important to implement the entire end-to-end process in our company.

Attended automation has helped to scale RPA benefits in my organization by automating department or role specific processes in sales and HR that require human robot collaboration. This is important to my company. The department who works on automation of internal processes has had a lot of meetings with our employees. They realized that employees could be against their automation processes and sabotage them. This didn't happen, but they have effectively implemented the attended robots for our employees' work by explaining to them that the robots are not a threat to their job. They would only be helping them, allowing employees to do something more important than doing repetitive tasks on their computers.

UiPath has helped reduce human error. We are working with clients where it is very important to provide them their necessary services. We are a telecom company, so we are providing activation of numbers, etc. If people are doing this manually, it can cause inconveniences for our clients, but it might also put the reputation at stake. For example, because when people do it manually, they can send out the wrong invoice. This is a huge reputation risk, because sometimes we are working not only with just a person, but with a business. When we work with other companies, it is important to do things accurately. When the robots do things, there is almost a 100% probability that they won't make any mistakes, like typos.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature of automation is it can automatically detect things where people are doing things repetitively and spending a lot of time. So, people can actually do their real tasks, like making decisions and talking to clients. Therefore, people's time, which was busy with doing manual tasks, is free now. They can spend it on more interesting and valuable work where they can apply their valuable skills.

UiPath Academy starts at the very beginning with how to set up and navigate in UiPath. I noticed that the Studio and StudioX are both user-friendly. It is suitable for people of different existing levels of programming skills, even with those with zero background.

What needs improvement?

The process mining feature is not being used because my company had some difficulties with it.

UiPath could improve integration with other platforms, like the SAP platform. I heard that SAP has their own automation processes in their platform and they are trying to avoid integrations with RPA platforms. Sometimes, that can be difficult. UiPath's room for improvement is having the ability to integrate with as many platforms as possible.

UiPath
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about UiPath. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
620,600 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using it for about three weeks. I have been practicing some tasks and just started learning, but I don't have any advanced development skills.

My company has been using it for a year.

We have automated hundreds of processes.

There are about 30 people on our sales team who are using it. The HR team also uses it.

We didn't use another automation before UiPath.

The initial setup is straightforward, based on what I have seen from UiPath Academy. On the platform, there are videos which describe how to set up. You just go to the platform and download the setup package. You have to set it up on your PC, then open the application. Once the application has been opened, you need to sign in with your email. For the first step, you need to add your email to the application, so email is sent automatically to you when you sign in and the signup is complete. Then, you can start using the Studio and StudioX. It is very convenient because both of them are in the same application, like an all in one software. You don't have to set them up separately because everything is in one place. You can just switch between them in settings, which is very easy and straightforward.

We have people studying how to work on UiPath who are developers. Therefore, we have a whole department doing the setup in our company. I don't think that they are asking a third-party to come in and help.

We freed up a lot of our sales team's time. For example, they can now spend more time with clients. We have successfully implemented attended robots for our sales team. They now spend half the time doing the job which has been automated. This has made our sales team happy.

It is very costly to implement RPA. However, I think the benefits outweigh the costs over a long-term period.

What other advice do I have?

Building automations is doable. I understand that it is hard. Some processes need to be adjusted to be automated. Even though sometimes it can take time to create processes for automation, it is still possible and useful to apply automation for many processes.

I didn't have any background in programming previously. I chose the learning plan for beginners in UiPath Academy. It was very convenient that they divided their learning plans for people with different backgrounds, e.g., beginners or developers. The course is very well-structured and concise. It works perfectly for me and I have the ability to study in the solution without any background experience.

Because we managed to successfully implement it in our company, we now want to help other companies to implement their automation processes.

For my country, UiPath is progressive. It is important for people's mindset that they are able to work with robots and understand they are helpful.

A lot of companies in our country refuse to implement it, or they think it is very expensive, and they don't need this thing, but they should definitely go for it.

My biggest lesson was not to be afraid that robots will do my job. I learned that they are very helpful and can save me time that I can spend on something more useful, like obtaining new skills.

I would rate it as eight out of 10 because of its integration limitations with other platforms. It is also expensive.

Supply Chain Business Analyst at Young Living Essential Oils LC
Frees employee time, has good task capture, and offers a quick ROI
  • "UiPath has freed time for our employees. With the shipping label robot, for example, we basically replaced two jobs and now they're able to do other things. They can take on other more vital responsibilities."
  • "The setting up of the cloud was a little bit confusing for us. We expected someone to walk us through that process and we just did it ourselves and weren't sure if we were doing it right."

What is our primary use case?

We have four robots. One we're sending out shipping labels as our members do returns. Once they create a return, we used to have someone that was manually entering in and creating the shipping labels. That was like the first robot that we built. The cost savings on that alone covered the costs of UiPath in total. We have a few other ones that we've been playing with, however, that first one was a big one that covered the cost of UiPath.

What is most valuable?

I'm really excited about task capture. We haven't started it yet, however, that's going to really help capture the processes that we want to automate. We're excited about that.

The solution is just opening our eyes to what is possible. There are a lot of people in our company who hate doing mundane repetitive things. It's giving enough hope that we can replace those jobs that people hate with automation. We're excited about that.

I'm not a developer, however, the two developers that are under me, like the shipping label bot and found it easy to build. A developer was able to create that in one day and it replaced two positions. I'm sure we can build it better and faster with what we're still learning. With a partner coming on to guide us I foresee that we will definitely get better at it.

We’ve used UiPath's Academy courses. I don't think we would be where we are today without it. My two developers had zero experience with UiPath. They went to the Academy and learned as much as they could and started building right away.

Its biggest value is the continual learning on offer. We're pretty overwhelmed right now with what it can do, however, the Academy just teaches us how or where we can go with it. It’s great.

What needs improvement?

The setting up of the cloud was a little bit confusing for us. We expected someone to walk us through that process and we just did it ourselves and weren't sure if we were doing it right. We thought that getting assistance with the setup would just be kind of a given or they would at least lay out the steps. We didn't have that. We were asking a lot of questions and trying to figure it out with our salesperson. She was likely not the right person to help us with that. If there were directions on how to set it up, that would have been helpful.

We've had the solution for three months.

In terms of stability, the robots have been running well. That said, we've had a few failures that we had to go in and fix, however, it was a pretty minimal effort to fix them. I'm not sure of the exact reasons. I remember my developers were telling us one failed and we needed to go figure it out.

It wasn't like an all-day fix. It was just a pretty quick fix which required simply stopping it and restarting it and then it worked.

In general, for stability, it's been so far so good.

We have the goal of scaling, however, we are still just barely with our heads above water. We're just trying to figure it out as we go. Our biggest asset is bringing a partner on to help us and allow us to build up that scalability. Without their help, we would be lost. We would build without having a good foundation. The partner is coming on for a three months contract to train us and get us up to speed to make sure that we're building a good foundation so that we can scale.

We first created a technical support ticket when we had the issue with the trial license versus our actual license. It was hard for my developer as he didn't have the URL for the cloud. He really couldn't diagnose the issue as we thought it was all on the one referred to us, yet there was that disconnect. We went back and forth over several days trying to figure that out and the tech person couldn't help us. We were lost there. That was a little confusing.

This feedback isn't against the technical team. Maybe it was just the way we didn't get the correct training we needed to set up correctly. UiPath should've killed those trial licenses or transferred them and they never did and that first robot we built was on a trial license.

It would have been helpful if they told us to import the robot or something over to the real licensing.

We did not use a different RPA solution previously.

I'm not a tech person, therefore, the setup was a little outside of my wheelhouse. It was a little bit harder for us. We've been trying to figure it out.

The issue that we've found is we had a trial license and my two developers were on the trial. Then, when we got the actual licenses, a developer was still building under the trial. The trial was allowing them to do things and build over there, however, it wasn't under our automation path. It took us a while to figure out what the disconnect was as I just didn't know how to set everything up. That was a little bit confusing.

We realized ROI on our first robot.

The automation cloud offering did not decrease the total cost of ownership of UiPath. It was a little bit more, however, we didn't have to set up our own server and maintain that.

We bought the starter package and we were able to cover the full cost of it with one robot within two days. It definitely paid for itself.

We were also looking at Automation Anywhere and it was a pretty close tie between the two.

We chose UiPath as a colleague who had worked with UiPath at his last job and he was a little bit more familiar with it. We thought the security was a little bit better in UiPath as well. Those were the two main reasons that kind of pushed us towards UiPath.

What other advice do I have?

We haven't used the UiPath apps feature yet. We've signed up with someone that is going to be our partner to help us learn all the new aspects. Hopefully, in the next couple of months, we'll be setting everything up, including the automation hub, and trying out apps and task mining.

We do not yet use UiPath's AI functionality.

Based on my lack of knowledge, I would probably rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been super happy with it this far and from all the things I've seen, we're excited about where we can go with it.

UiPath
July 2022
620,600 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Johannes Becker - PeerSpot reviewer
Partner at TPA
Excellent customer service, works very well, and so far, there is nothing that we couldn't solve with it
  • "It has been helpful in centralizing. We are a tax, audit, and accounting company. We are centralizing for one of our partner companies with multinational clients. We have to centralize the results of a client in 40 countries every month by reading some information out of their balance sheets. Previously, we had to do this manually, and now, we have automated it. Internally, we also have a client with more than 200 companies. We have to centralize about 200 balance sheets every month for them. That's something that we have automated internally."
  • "Some of the licenses, such as for Document Understanding, are a little bit expensive, and we hope that they will reduce the prices over time. Apart from this, I don't have anything to improve."

What is our primary use case?

We are partners of UiPath, and we are also programming for them. We are using it internally in our group, but we're also using it to develop automations for our clients.

In terms of its use cases, we have implemented several automations in financial departments, mostly related to preparing reports, but UiPath is not limited to that. We also had use cases in HR departments for calculating bonuses, for instance, for large companies with more than 1,000 employees or for centralizing the hours worked at certain building sites for a construction company, etc.

We automate whatever a client needs to be automated. We will discuss possible use cases with a client and prepare a short evaluation regarding the costs and benefits, then it´s up to the client to decide.

UiPath develops increasingly towards cloud solutions. We still have clients who prefer to have it on-prem, but new clients will mostly opt for cloud solutions. The clients decide on the cloud provider, and we basically use whatever the client wants.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the most interesting use cases we had was for a carrier that has about 300 trucks all over Europe. They check the bills that the truck drivers bring back from the gas stations and compare the amount of fuel in the bills with the consumption the GPS system of the truck has actually recorded. In the past they prepared these reports manually, which was quite complicated. It took them almost half an hour for one report, and that 300 times per month. They had to compare the figures from the GPS systems with the ones that were stored in the cloud and with the figures that they had in their accounting based on the bills from the truck drivers. We automated the whole process. With the automation we could reduce the time for preparing a report from half an hour to about 35 seconds, and the process is completely running in the background. Apart from the data regarding fuel consumption, we also included some additional information in the reports that they always wanted to see, but never could implement, due to time constraints - such as when a truck is due for the next service, how much time the drivers use cruise control, and so on. This was quite an interesting and a little bit unusual use case.

Very often, UiPath has been helpful in centralizing data. TPA is a tax, audit, and accounting company, and internationally we are part of the Baker Tilly network. One of our international Baker tilly partners has to centralize the financial results of a multinational client from 40 countries every month by retrieving and processing information out of the balance sheets. Previously, they had to prepare this manually - automating it saved dozens of hours every month. At TPA, for instance we have a client with more than 200 companies. We have to integrate data of more than 200 general ledgers every month for them. That's something that we have automated internally.

What is most valuable?

In two and a half years of using UiPath, we haven't had any issues regarding its stability. It is working very well.

Their customer service is excellent. Whenever we have a question, we immediately get a response. We have calls with their teams, and being in Bucharest, where UiPath also has one of their offices, we are often able to meet them in person. That's working pretty well.

They are permanently improving their products, that´s a huge advantege compared to other RPA providers. In comparison, I have heard that Automation Anywhere sometimes has issues that remain unresolved for quite a long time, but UiPath is permanently bringing up new versions, new products, and new solutions. Until now, we did not run into any issues, we could automate anything we had agreed upon with our clients. We have not had one case where we would have reached the limitations of UiPath.

What needs improvement?

Some of the licenses, such as for Document Understanding, are a little bit expensive, and sometimes potential clients hesitate when they learn about the license fees. We hope that they will reduce the prices over time. Apart from this, I don't have anything to improve.

In terms of new features, it is already difficult for us to keep up with what they're offering because there is so much happening, and we always have to take care that we're not missing out on something.

We have been using it for two and a half years.

Stability-wise, we have had zero issues. It is working very well.

Their support is really very good. When it is about new products, such as Document Understanding, we have to understand:

• How does it actually work?
  • What can it do?
  • What it cannot do?
  • How to sell to the client?

We often have very detailed calls with the staff of UiPath, and if the client is in Romania, we often go with somebody from UiPath's sales team to the client. When the client is abroad, we frequently include somebody from UiPath in the calls to have an introduction for the client.

Positive

When we started with RPA three years ago, we did not use UiPath. We used Foxtrot/Nintex at the beginning, which was quite unreliable, they had severe stability issues, especially with more complex automations. We stopped working with Foxtrot/Nintex after about three or four months because there was something going on all the time, and we couldn't offer it to clients.

Usually, we start with relatively simple automation. Most of the clients start with a small studio and one robot license, which is anyways included with the studio for an extended proof of concept. They have done automation where they see that it is working, and then they start discussing other more complex automations with us.

We also have clients who start right away with quite complex processes, sometimes almost too complex. If a process would need six months or more to automate, clients tend to lose patience. We always prefer to start with a process that can go live after two, three, or four weeks so that they see that it is working, and then extend it step by step.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to start automating something that really hurts but is not an extremely complicated use case. It should be a process that takes only a few minutes being performed manually, but is being performed frequently. These are  use cases that usually can be automated within a few days because they are not very complex processes, and automating them delivers quick results. Based on this first experience, you can have a discussion with us or the other partners of UiPath to see what else would be automatable in your organization. Many times, clients have some suggestions of what could be automated, in most cases classical RPA solutions, but there is so much more all around RPA to better understand your own organisation, such as process mining, task mining, and other solutions that UiPath has recently finalized and brought into the market.

I would rate it a strong nine out of 10. It is not yet perfect, but then, nothing is perfect.

EbinAbraham - PeerSpot reviewer
Automation Engineer at Danfoss
Great automation and AI functionality but is a bit pricey
  • "They are providing an architecture that is really amazing."
  • "UiPath updates its software every year. The problem is the support for the old code. For example, right now I'm using the 2021 10.3 version. If I have developed a code three years back and I want to update the packages, it won't work as expected."

What is our primary use case?

At my company, we automate everything, including the ERP. It's for logistics as well as the production. 90% of our use case is automating SAP and the bonus software.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is amazing. If we want to look at the conditions, we can do so easily. We can just search and we can find it. It's very simple.

They provide architecture that is really amazing.

It is quite stable. It is really good and very reliable, which is what I really want.

You can scale the solution very well.

I have used automation. The report was helpful. It trains employees - even those that didn’t have any experience. In UiPath, it’s not as clear how you go about things or where to click. It's very difficult to change items. The best part of UiPath is the automation.

I have a downloaded code. When you ship the plan from one country to another country, there will be a lot of historical data in the item. Typically, we have to delete this manually. It is a lot of data. We have exclusively recruited people for this job in the past. Then, we came up with some designs for the automation and it has saved them plenty of time. We are able to finish all the deletion of unnecessary data in record time. That was a really easy way to help save time and human resources. Automation Anywhere is really helpful financially.

Manually, a task like this would have taken around 30 days to deal with 10,000 lines of deletion. Now, with automation, the same task can be done in two days.

In the past, our recruits have come from Ireland. I’m not sure how much labor time we’ve saved with UiPath, however, it’s significant.

I have tried UiPath’s Academy. I got certified from UiPath. The best part is that the lectures are really good. They also provide the trial motions, which is really helpful when learning.

I have watched UiPath Academy’s orchestrated videos and done the pre-development. I completed the entire video and then did the test. They have certified me for Orchestrator and the developer parts.

One really good thing about UiPath is the user community. We can just search for a term and get help with questions. Most questions will be answered by the community. That is really amazing and helpful. Participating in the community makes UiPath really easy. It's very easy to find solutions to questions you have.

The UiPath community compares well against other RPA communities out there. On a scale of one to ten, I would say that the automation ranks at a nine. It’s a helpful tool.

We use attended bots as well as unattended bots.

Attended automation has helped to scale RPA benefits in our company by automating departments or all specific processes that require human-robot collaboration. We know how to use automation with merchants so that they help you with authorization for the end-users. The robots have really helped us in specific use cases, especially around logistics, for example.

We have just started using UiPath’s AI functionality. We are exploring it now after we got some orientation from UiPath. Within one year, we'll start using it for the plans that we have created for this year.

UiPath automation has reduced human mistakes. That is the best part. If somebody, a human, does the same continuous actions, mistakes will happen. With automation, we’ve had zero errors at this point.

What needs improvement?

UiPath updates its software every year. The problem is the support for the old code. For example, right now I'm using the 2021 10.3 version. If I have developed a code three years back and I want to update the packages, it won't work as expected. They do not follow up with support for the old version. Therefore, a person has to exclusively work again with the old robot to make it compatible with the new version.

I've been using the solution for four years now.

Stability-wise, I would say, for an ERP, UiPath is good. If you are going to automate some websites, the stability is very bad, however, for ERP it is really good.

The scalability is good. Based on the demand, we can actually scale up things. Again, it depends on how we implement UiPath in the organization.

We pay extra for UiPath support. For us, it's really good.

Since we are paying extra money for support, whenever we have a problem they exclusively send two people to our organization. They elaborate and explain the solution to the problem. That's only due to the fact that we pay extra money. We have experienced only positive scenarios with support.

While I'd rate paid support eight out of ten, when you don't pay for support the service may be only a five out of ten.

Positive

I also have Automation Anywhere and Microsoft.

Microsoft's solution is better than UiPath. However, UiPath compared to Automation Anywhere is better.

With UiPath, they should have at least some basic knowledge of .NET. It's very different from Microsoft. Somebody without any background can develop robots.

Compared to Automation Anywhere, UiPath is really good. Especially the user interface. Some of the Orchestrator functionality is also really good compared to Automation Anywhere.

We had used an earlier version (8). We had to use that and log into the Orchestrator, et cetera. At that time, all versions were difficult. Now, they have the availability to make the setup easier and we have the entities to deploy the package. It's now very easy and very convenient.

The deployment takes about two minutes maximum.

For the deployment strategy for UiPath, we did a QA first. We had a tech that would create the instance, we'd deploy the Orchestrator and then just do the QA. We'd create another code request for the master branch.

I have seen some ROI, however, I have only high-level ideas about what it is. Our team is in Denmark and in India. From what I heard, we are getting considerable value for money at this time.

The solution is a bit pricey.

More and more companies are coming out with similar solutions, and therefore the space is likely to become very competitive.

What other advice do I have?

I have used the cloud deployment at well. Now I use the on-premises version.

If anybody is going to evaluate UiPath, first, I would say, you need to look into what kind of automation you are going to do. If it's ERP, I would definitely recommend UiPath. If it's something, like a PDF or insurance kind of use case, then I wouldn't recommend UiPath. From my experience, what I understand is that UiPath is good for SAP. However, you can use it for any other kind of ERP as well.

I'd rate the solution a seven out of ten.

Ibrahim Abougendy - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Design Officer at Gahawena
Enables us to do task and process mining and to create automations from employee workflows
  • "And the UiPath user community is the best. The people there are very friendly and helpful, and engage with each other. UiPath has done a good job building a good forum and a good blog, and making the community members interact with each other. The community is one of the reasons UiPath is my choice. It is a strong community."
  • "The user interface needs to be more customizable, and the debugging tool doesn't work well enough. It needs some improvements."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for automating activities and processes in my company, and for discovering new automation opportunities. UiPath is my main tool for automating every process in business operations.

One of my main use cases for UiPath is around service desk and support center operations. I use it to take tickets from customers and users and automate answers using UiPath's machine learning. It links the questions to documentation where we already have answers.

I also use it for automating invoices with the pricing and other information and sending them to customers when they buy an item.

In addition, when somebody subscribes to a newsletter I have set up a process to send an email in reply.

How has it helped my organization?

Using the solution we can do task mining and process mining. The automations make everything easier for my business and for the other businesses where I implement them.

For example, one of my use cases is for a doctor's office to help manage the patients by handling their inquiries and automating the invoices. I have also set up processes to help with research and prescriptions. All these processes are automated and run without any human involvement.

And it has helped my business operations a lot. It's helping us detect all the performance issues and data threats. UiPath Insights helps us to prevent these issues from happening again. It's powering up our operation. We can analyze all our departments in one place and get the best usage from them using Insights.

We fully depend on UiPath for the three departments: sales, marketing, and service. Many of our sales operations are done by UiPath, such as generating invoices, research, and engaging with clients through the help tickets they submit, as well as through the email communication we do.

And one of the most important benefits is the ability to identify new opportunities in my employees' workflows. It is able to record and discover what my employees do and we are able to create automations as a result.

Digital transformation is another main focus. Through the UiPath Marketplace, I can get expert virtual employees who do very expert jobs and tasks without having to hire somebody or bring them into the office as an employee. It's all automated by the software. I can discover, build, manage, and engage with the robots. My employees can easily manage all the robots and the processes, increasing the collaboration among us.

All of this makes it easier to store and move data from Google Sheets to my own sheets or my CMS on WordPress.

It saves a lot of time. It has really transformed my operation from a situation where we were always pressed for time and had slow response times to customers. With UiPath, we have increased our customer satisfaction scores and get tasks done faster than ever. My employees are now using the time they used to spend on certain tasks for things that require more thought. It has transformed business operations 180 degrees, making everything easier, helping the business to grow faster, and improving performance. We have control of the front-end work as well as the back-end processes.

What is most valuable?

For me, the most valuable feature is the solution's ability to discover automation opportunities.

The Document Understanding feature for extracting information from documents or images helps reduce manual work, saving people from having to scrub data from PDF files or images. UiPath extracts all the information and stores it.

In addition, its AI and machine learning make everything easy, as do the Data Service tools, because they don't require coding to create automations. I can do everything without coding knowledge.

And the UiPath user community is the best. The people there are very friendly and helpful, and engage with each other. UiPath has done a good job building a good forum and a good blog, and making the community members interact with each other. The community is one of the reasons UiPath is my choice. It is a strong community.

What needs improvement?

I like most of the UiPath tools, but the UiPath Academy, in particular, wasn't my favorite part. It didn't have enough onboarding guidance when I started. The learning curve for the courses in the Academy was very difficult in the beginning. I had to turn to Google and YouTube to learn from other people, experts, and the community. The community was friendly, but the academy wasn't that helpful for me. I think it needs to improve on the information it provides to make it easier for beginners to learn, to help decrease the learning curve.

Also, the user interface needs to be more customizable, and the debugging tool doesn't work well enough. It needs some improvements.

I have been using UiPath for one year and eight months. I have several websites and three startups, and I also implement UiPath and automations for other companies.

It's stable. It has 99 percent uptime.

Sometimes, when we are dealing with a large set of data, it becomes slower. I don't know if it is something to do with UiPath or something else, like the operating system or the connections. It is almost always stable, but when dealing with large data, it becomes a little buggy and slower. Sometimes it freezes and I have to turn everything off and restart it.

Their support staff has good knowledge about whatever I raise, but they are late in responding, at times. I have had to turn to the community more. When I can't find an answer, I turn to them and only after them to support. It should be the other way around. I should be turning to the support group and then, if needed, to the community.

One good thing that I have found is that UiPath responds to the community and the recommendations of users. When we recommend something, they put it on their roadmap and they make plans for it in their app. They are engaging and friendly with users and the community, but they are late in responding.

Positive

I started by using Blue Prism but only for three or four months and then I left it and turned to UiPath. I couldn't find answers to my questions when I was using Blue Prism. I couldn't find a professional community to engage with or to get help from. This was the reason I started turning to UiPath, after reading a few reviews from several websites and some of the community posts. The UiPath community was providing good information about every capability of the solution. In my experience with Blue Prism, I couldn't find any valuable communities out there. With UiPath I found the opposite.

Even now, I find it good to engage with the UiPath community. Whenever I need an answer to something or an explanation about a use case, I always turn to them.

They have to reduce the price a little bit for basic users, startups, and small companies.

Application Developer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Greatly reduces human error and time expenditure in a user-friendly solution, providing a robust ROI
  • "Human error was greatly reduced and the solution saves a significant amount of time, these are the two main reasons we started using UiPath."
  • "Technical support could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a financial services company, and our primary use is to increase daily efficiency and create automated solutions for our operations team. Our primary concern is time. By implementing a robotic solution for mundane tasks, it frees up our teams to focus elsewhere. For example, going to a website, extracting data, putting the data somewhere, and manipulating it can all be automated, freeing up the team to focus on data analysis. This makes us more time and cost-efficient.

As a smaller company, it was very important to us that scale automation would be taken care of by the vendor. It was one of our key points in choosing a solution.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution saved us a great deal of time and money, while teams have been freed up to focus on more important work.

What is most valuable?

Human error has been greatly reduced and the solution saves a significant amount of time, these are the two main reasons we started to use UiPath.

The solution helps us to keep track of tickets and send notifications used within our department. It helped a lot with our back and front-end offices. Our main operations team normally had a lot of data manipulation, which is now taken care of. They can now focus on market analysis.

This product is very user-friendly, it only requires knowledge of the most basic coding and how to work with logic. They are quick to respond to software issues. They either fix them quickly or provide a workaround if there is one. Overall, UiPath makes building automation very easy.

We do use the solution's Automation Cloud offering. Sometimes we aren't informed of software updates, meaning we have to figure that out for ourselves, especially when there are issues. We mentioned this to support, as figuring out solutions to issues brought in by updates sometimes increases our workload. Overall though, I would say the solution does save a lot of time for our IT department.

The solution has increased our TTV significantly.

The Automation Cloud offering decreased the solution's TCO by taking care of infrastructure, maintenance, and updates.

We used the Automation Cloud to build out our own pipeline and connected it to Azure. This has really solidified our SDLC, which in turn allows us to quickly put out automations whenever we need to.

My team and I used the vendor's UiPath Academy course. The course was very effective, as none of the team had prior UiPath experience. We trained using UiPath Academy for around a month, which got us to a point where we could start to use the solution for projects, which helped us learn even more.

The community is much larger than I expected. I'm regularly on the forum or the community blog, which says a lot about how good it is, because almost any information you need can be found there. Everything is well documented, there's always UI path support, and people answer questions on there, so it's very useful.

Since UiPath is one of the bigger vendors in the RPA industry, there's a larger global community. Everyone is really helpful and I think that's great.

What needs improvement?

Technical support could be improved.

The setup documentation could be improved to make that process easier.

We have been using the solution for two years now.

I'd say the solutions are around 80 to 85% stable. There are some areas that we have to reach out to support for, and they work to improve these areas for the newer versions. For that reason, I can't say the solution is 100% stable all the time.

The features provided by UiPath make it very easy to reuse, so it's very scalable.

We haven't deployed the solution to its full potential at our company yet. It's used by nine to ten teams out of a total of around 200 teams. We have a lot more to do, as we only started two years ago. We are working towards implementing for more of our teams, but we need a bigger team to push out solutions faster.

The technical support is inconsistent, it can be good or bad, this depends on who you get connected to.

Neutral

It was before my time at the company, but I believe they previously used Nintex RPA.

I wasn't there for the initial setup, but I do know quite a bit because we did have to set up more bots later. I'd say it's a little complex if you don't already know what to do, but once you do know, it's very easy to set up. I would say the documentation wasn't that clear.

We're a small team that consists of two developers, one tester, and a manager. This is sufficient for the deployment and maintenance of the solution.

We implemented the solution ourselves.

I would say the cost of the software is around 10K and we've had around 50 projects, with probably $500,000 saved per project. That's a lot of money saved that can be diverted to other areas.

The solution has sped up and reduced the cost of digital transformation without requiring expensive upgrades or support. The product has greatly reduced the incidence of human error.

The solution has saved us a lot of time. I would say it saves us an average of 900 to 1000 hours per month. The additional time has enabled employees to focus on more high-value work.

Overall, the solution has reduced the costs of our automation operations.

The cost of the software was around $10,000.

What other advice do I have?

The solution builds robots and monitors automation. There is a product called UiPath Task Capture which can do process analysis or business analysis, but I would say it's always better for a human to take care of this. For that reason, I wouldn't say the solution is end-to-end, though we could configure it to be. I would say it works very well from building to the end, and in the testing and monitoring that comes after that.

We used unattended automation and quickly realized we need attended, because with unattended automation projects take up a lot of time. With unattended automation, we can't run two project processes simultaneously, but with attended automation, we can take out another server and give access to the UiPath cloud to our business partners to run whatever projects they need. We can do this at any time, which is very helpful.

RPA generally isn't widely used, and some people overlook it, but it can transform a business. I would say it's an essential part of any digital transformation, and UiPath is a vast vendor with a user-friendly product.

George-Bennett - PeerSpot reviewer
VP Business Development at Ampliforce
Pre-built integration with our scanning solution gave us the ability to automate processes, and we went from two hours to 15 minutes and from 600 people to 150 people
  • "It had pre-built integration with the scanning solution that we use called Kodak Alaris. They use our current scanners to scan in the documents, and then they have the software that allows you to load those documents right into UiPath Orchestrator. That gave us the ability to automate those processes."
  • "It took quite a bit of time to understand some of the document types. Some of the documents were already pre-built, but some of the documents were new, and it took us quite a bit of time to get it to train on those documents. If there was any variation, we had to re-train it. It took longer than expected."

What is our primary use case?

We're doing mortgage loan processing. When people are applying for a new loan, we're using it to gather all loan documents and validate the property ownership and do a title search. We then put the loan documents in a package.

We are using its latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

It used to take two hours to take all these documents and load them in, and now, it takes 15 minutes. So, we went from two hours to 15 minutes. We're able to process a significantly larger number of documents in a much shorter time.

What is most valuable?

It had pre-built integration with the scanning solution that we use called Kodak Alaris. They use our current scanners to scan in the documents, and then they have the software that allows you to load those documents right into UiPath Orchestrator. That gave us the ability to automate those processes.

What needs improvement?

It took quite a bit of time to understand some of the document types. Some of the documents were already pre-built, but some of the documents were new, and it took us quite a bit of time to get it to train on those documents. If there was any variation, we had to re-train it. It took longer than expected.

I have been using this solution for about four years.

Its stability is very good.

It is enterprise-ready. So far, we are very happy with everything that we have been working with. It is designed for enterprises.

We're going to continue to use it for the next five years. It is automating the roles. It has to do more with validation than anything else. The users like it a lot, and we're very happy with it so far.

We have a third party for support, and they are very good. They are very quick to support.

All in all, it was pretty straightforward. We had to bring in third-party consultants to get it going. We were expecting that, but the costs were a little bit more than what we were thinking at the time.

From beginning to end, it probably took about four months. It included everything that we were trying to do. We got started right away, but the actual deployment took a little bit longer than what we thought it was going to take.

We've moved from different versions over time, and we were able to do it pretty seamlessly. We had another product called Automation Anywhere, and that took a lot more effort to do the migration. So, we were happy with the implementation time that UiPath took.

We took the help of a third party. Our experience with them was good. It was more expensive than we thought it was going to be, but overall, it was good.

For its deployment and maintenance, we have a team of four people in the house, and then we have five people outside who are actually continuing to do maintenance in terms of upgrades and new forms as they come up.

We have probably saved about $6 million using the product. We were going to have to hire about 600 people to be able to process the loans, but we only had to hire 150 people. We didn't have to hire 450 people, which was pretty significant.

We did pay more than what we thought we were going to have to pay upfront. We had a third party for implementation, and the cost turned out to be about twice of what we thought it was going to be upfront. So, instead of one month, it took us three months for an ROI, but we got significant returns.

The hardware requirements to manage this was also a little bit more than we thought it was going to be, but our ROI was so high that in a way we earned it back. So, even though the costs were more than what we were expecting, the return was much better than we were expecting. We were supposed to go from two hours to one hour. That was the goal, and we went from two hours to 15 minutes. The benefit was more than what we were expecting.

Its actual cost turned out to be about two times more than what we thought it was going to be upfront. There were hardware costs that we were not expecting. Some of the server costs and things of that nature were higher than what we were expecting but based upon the return, it was a net.

We looked at Blue Prism, Datamatics, and Signavio. We just looked at the market and how many references they had that were in our market space. We were able to talk to a significant number of companies that were already using these products for the same thing, and that's what we based our decision on.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise doing the homework upfront and seeing what the full impact is going to be. You should not just look at task automation; you should also look at the full process. That's because when you make a change in one area, you need to consider how that's going to affect another area in your organization. You may get a big benefit in one area, and then all of a sudden, you have to change the way you're doing business to take advantage of that. If you correct a bottleneck in one area, you might still have another area that's a bottleneck, so you need to look at the full process. This is something that we learned in general from our experience. As we were fixing different things and automating different things, there was another bottleneck down the road. We went from doing 10 a minute to 100 a minute, but when we went to the next process, we could only do 10 a minute. It didn't really make a difference unless we fixed that one too. That's why you have to look at the full end-to-end process.

I would like them to work on the process mining solution that they have to give us a better picture of the full end-to-end process. That was what was really missing. They do have a process mining solution that you can run up front, but it wasn't very good. We ended up running into things thinking why didn't we know that. If we had a better tool upfront to give us the bigger picture, it would've saved us a lot of time and effort down the road.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Jonathan Neblett - PeerSpot reviewer
Intelligent Automation Manager at a tech consulting company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to build automations, saves time, and offers a good ROI
  • "The most valuable part is how it interacts with the websites. A lot of the other automation solutions aren't doing that. A lot of what we do is involved in web-based automation and that's pretty key."
  • "The stability needs to be improved, as does the scalability."

What is our primary use case?

With federal governments, a lot of the use cases vary around what they're doing, however, it's just a lot of PDF, Excel, and Microsoft Suite automation and then interacting with their custom and web-based tools for subject information.

How has it helped my organization?

We don't use it a ton internally. We do more consulting services where we help other organizations get it set up. We're trying to look at maybe more internal ways to use it, however, most of what we do is external. That's just our entire model.

The typical spiel with UiPath is you're getting rid of the tedious and redundant work and you're saving time for people and bringing them up to do more human-oriented tasks.

What is most valuable?

Anything and everything under the solution has been very helpful for us. UiPath Studio is the most valuable for what we're doing simply due to the fact that it’s development software.

As a developer, the ease of building automation is great. I don't know if it's easy for the typical business user that I interact with. That's why there are professional services to develop and things like that.

We do use the UiPath Academy courses. UiPath Academy is great. It's one of the best online training platforms I've seen. That said, it’s an average user base that we're working with. I've had to teach people how to copy and paste. That level of user is not going to learn how to do variables and selectors and things like that.

The science of the software's easy enough to pick up if you know how to develop and I thought the Academy was fantastic at helping the learning process along.

The biggest value that the UiPath Academy offers is just the ability to train somebody up and know how to use UiPath in roughly a week.

The solution has saved costs for organizations. The exact amount is very tricky to quantify as I have multiple clients. It depends on which client we’re talking about. A lot of them are coming up in the beginning stages. My first client saved around 200,000 hours, which was significant. More recent ones may be in the tens of hours at this point. Those numbers relate to nobody specific, just a fledgling RPA program.

UiPath has reduced human error. That said there's plenty of bot error that occurs. You have to be aware of that if you are going to replace humans. I haven't honestly tracked it to see what the percentage is on errors on any of my projects, however, I would assume it is a reduction, and yet not quite 100%.

Right now, reducing errors is not yet important for our business and the businesses that we consult for. We don't really come across processes where there are so many errors. That's what we need to fix. It's not why people are using it. They're using it for the ROI value.

The solution has freed up employee time. It generally allowed the employees to focus on higher-value work and their level of satisfaction with the job.

What needs improvement?

I’m not sure if the Academy fulfills all of our needs in terms of staying up to speed with the solution. I haven't really gone back to the Academy after I first got through the development training to look at other solutions and stuff. I usually just rely on meetings with UiPath.

The stability needs to be improved, as does the scalability.

We've used the solution for four or five years.

In terms of stability, that's where there's room for improvement.

It just comes down to a lot of selectors and items of that nature. Selectors can fail randomly and then start working again and can cause issues. That's been our issue with stability.

The scalability is directly tied to the stability. It's a lot harder to scale the solution to run on a lot of computers. Each of these has some unique issues when it comes to deployment.

With my current client, we have probably around ten users at this time.

Technical support is great. Also, the UiPath forum is super helpful, however, when I've used the license key, you got actual support and that's been really good.

I'm not aware of the company using a different RPA solution previous to UiPath. I personally only use UiPath.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployments have taken six months to a year.

We have seen a return on investment from the companies that are utilizing this solution.

The individual robot and studio licenses are good. Usually what I see clients shake their heads at is the add-ons, the AI capability. Insights, for example, was very expensive. My client didn't want to get it due to the price.

Orchestra is usually acceptable as it's part of the package, however, the other stuff that's not studio or robot, usually, clients aren't, in my experience, interested in paying more.

We are primarily focused on UiPath due to the fact that that's what our clients are using, however, we're vendor agnostic. We support UiPath, Blue Prism, and Automation Anywhere as well. We have developers that are all trained in each of their usages. Whether we use them all at once or suggest them depends on the client. We have one client where they're using a bunch of them, however, most of our clients use UiPath I'm with the federal government, and UiPath is the only one that's really approved to do that.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

We do not yet use the solution's AI functionality in our automation program.

I would advise new users to be patient due to the fact that it's going to take a while for it to get stood up. Also, when you are working with the federal government, there are lots of approvals. Other than that, new users should make sure they get use cases and have everything very well documented. Users need to understand all the decisions and the logic behind it. That's the main advice I'd give.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Download our free UiPath Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022