Tenable.io Vulnerability Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management is the #6 ranked solution in top Vulnerability Management tools. PeerSpot users give Tenable.io Vulnerability Management an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Tenable.io Vulnerability Management is most commonly compared to Tenable.sc: Tenable.io Vulnerability Management vs Tenable.sc. Tenable.io Vulnerability Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
Tenable.io Vulnerability Management Buyer's Guide

Download the Tenable.io Vulnerability Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Tenable.io Vulnerability Management?

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management provides the most accurate information about all your assets and vulnerabilities in ever-changing environments. Available for cloud or on-prem deployment, Tenable.io features a streamlined interface, intuitive guidance, and seamless integrations that help security teams maximize efficiency. When visibility and insight matter most, Tenable.io helps you truly understand your Cyber Exposure.

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management Customers

Global Payments AU/NZ

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management Video

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management Reviews

JimKootnekoff - PeerSpot reviewer
President and CEO, Founder Executive at SecuSolutions Co., Ltd.
Very mature and quite stable but could use a better user interface
  • "They are on a good trajectory as a company and investing in R&D in the right ways."
  • "The solution seems to focus too much on enterprises, and they really need a product that works for SMBs."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily we're a partner of Tenable and what we've done is we've essentially created a middleware. We created a middleware on top of Tenable.io engine, the API, and the middleware was developed back in 2003. It has gone through about three different iterations since then.

Essentially, we simplify their user interface. It's been designed so that the managed service providers, the MSPs, are able to use the Tenable system with our interface on top. In a sense, what we've done is dramatically dummied down the Tenable interface through the use of our own GUI. We connect to the Tenable API in the backend, however, they're doing the heavy lifting, so to speak, and we're just presenting the information in a much more logical, easily understood manner.

What is most valuable?

The API is pretty good.

The solution works well for enterprise-level organizations.

They're a standup product. They really are. They're one of the first in the industry which means they're a quite well-established site. It's pretty hard to improve upon.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The stability is excellent.

The scalability is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

The solution seems to focus too much on enterprises, and they really need a product that works for SMBs. The enterprise product is too expensive for smaller companies, however, they really are looking for a product like this in the market.

It's too technologically advanced for SMBs - Tenable is kind of a little bit like flying a 747. There's a lot of bells and whistles and switches and things like that, that quite frankly are not used or not understood largely by the average user. If they don't begin to cater to smaller organizations, they'll likely lose market share.

They could use a better user interface that could be developed a lot better than it is. It really could be more intuitive.

I've used Tenable for 20 years or so. 18 to be exact. It's been a good amount of time. I have a lot of experience with the company.

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Tenable.io Vulnerability Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is excellent. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's one of the reasons we chose it. It's reliable and the performance is excellent.

Aside from their licensing, which needs some serious reworking, when you get the licensing in order the scaling is not that bad. It's pretty much on-par in terms of what others are doing. However, getting the provisioning of the licensing and all of that stuff through their partners, namely Ingram Micro, is nothing short of pulling teeth really.

I've never used technical support in the past. I've never had a need to. Therefore, I wouldn't be able to assess them. I can't say how knowledgeable or responsive they are.

We've only been with Nessus. Nessus Professional came out way back in the day, in 2002, 2003, there was WebInspect which was then, bought by IBM. We used WebInspect which was another iteration of vulnerability scanning. It's kind of like Burp Suite, which is commonly used now. That was our only other experience. That was very far back, it's almost another lifetime.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. We've got staff members that are certified for decades, two decades or more, and they know their way around quite easily. It's quite easy in that regard to set up.

In terms of the pricing side, I would say that they've lost a little touch on the pricing. It seems that the enterprise companies are the ones that primarily use Tenable for DIY security. However, the needs are much greater adoption in terms of the SMB space. These companies are screaming for attention. They've gotten interest from the hackers as hackers seem to be quite focused on the SMB space - which means they need protection. Most of the VA companies that are out there are servicing the enterprise and they all need the help. They've got the budget, they've got the resources, they have the CISSP certified guys on the bench taking care of their needs.

In terms of the volume of users interacting with the solution, you're looking at tens of thousands. As a service provider, we use the solution for companies of all sizes.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner for Tenable Nessus.

The Tenable.io is what we're using currently. It suits our needs best due to the fact that it's in the cloud. The API is okay. It's not wonderful. Seems to serve a purpose.

The biggest problem with the solution is that if you're a small company, you're not going to be able to afford it, nor are you going to be able to manage it.

I would recommend other organizations use the product. People probably don't consider the amount of, let's say, understanding or comprehension that they need of their own network to truly be able to deploy and manage and get the results they're looking for, however. Many often underestimate all their skillsets. Tenable has a number of features and functionalities and it can be a little confusing for, let's say, a non-security savvy person. It could be a little bit of a challenge, to be honest. I'd suggest any company that considers it also does their homework first.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. It gets the job done. It really is smooth to operate once it's set up. It is for the most part pretty easy to set and forget.

Private Cloud

Intake Specialist at Maxtec
Reseller
A powerful product that provides visibility across the entire tech surface and helps you to focus on the vulnerabilities that pose immediate risks
  • "Tenable.io, in particular, is quite a powerful product. It looks at your traditional environment, which is pretty much anything that is on-premises, and it also goes a step ahead and covers your modern assets, which is anything that is currently sitting in the cloud. You get complete visibility of your entire environment and tech operation. The ability to give you visibility across the entire tech surface is one of the biggest advantages that Tenable.io has."
  • "They've been able to think about everything in terms of where the world is going and the type of assets that you've got. They've everything sorted out in that aspect, but you have to pay for most of the other components that they've got to give you complete visibility across your tech surface. If it already had those capabilities in-built, without having to add them on to take advantage of them, it would be a very compelling value proposition."

What is our primary use case?

I work for a company called Maxtec, and we are a distributor. One of the solutions that we used to distribute, not anymore, is Tenable. I've worked as the product manager for Tenable, and it is one of the products on which I've worked quite extensively. We stopped its distribution last year, and I stopped working with it at the beginning of 2022. We were using its latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the biggest cutting-edge technologies that they were able to introduce is predictive prioritization. It has helped a lot of IT teams enormously that were heavily under the weight of vulnerabilities that they needed to remediate. Just in 2019, over 19,000 vulnerabilities were discovered, and about 10,000 of those vulnerabilities were rated between high and critical. The way predictive prioritization works is that it adds a lot of context and granularity, and it helps you understand which vulnerabilities actually pose an immediate risk to your environment. It eliminates the pressure that the IT teams were under in terms of remediation because now, they don't have to focus on 10,000 vulnerabilities. They can only focus on 3% of vulnerabilities that pose an immediate risk to their environment. That, for me, has been a cutting-edge technology and a game-changer in helping a lot of IT teams in focusing more on the risk that they need to address, at least within the next 30 days.

What is most valuable?

Tenable.io, in particular, is quite a powerful product. It looks at your traditional environment, which is pretty much anything that is on-premises, and it also goes a step ahead and covers your modern assets, which is anything that is currently sitting in the cloud. You get complete visibility of your entire environment and tech operation. The ability to give you visibility across the entire tech surface is one of the biggest advantages that Tenable.io has.

The use of agents comes in very handy when a lot of the workforce is working from home, such as during COVID-19. Some of the traditional tools would not be able to monitor any of those devices that people would be working with, such as laptops, because they are remote. You can only audit their machines if they are on the business premises, but with Tenable.io agents, you can maintain that level of continuous monitoring, even if they are not on-premises at the time of the scan. The agents run the scans locally on the machine.

Tenable.io is a cloud-managed solution, but the scanners are sitting on-premises. They've also got some public cloud scanners that are sitting all over the world. They've got something called frictionless assessments, which is quite an interesting approach for vulnerability scanning of anything that is sitting in your AWS. You don't have to deploy the scanners. They've got sensors in there that are able to give you continuous monitoring without deploying scanners, doing any configurations, or inputting any credentials.

What needs improvement?

They've been able to think about everything in terms of where the world is going and the type of assets that you've got. They've everything sorted out in that aspect, but you have to pay for most of the other components that they've got to give you complete visibility across your tech surface. If it already had those capabilities in-built, without having to add them on to take advantage of them, it would be a very compelling value proposition.

Their support needs to be improved in terms of turnaround time.

It is stable.

It is a cloud solution. Therefore, it is highly scalable. There is no limit to how many assets and devices you can handle.

In terms of verticals, in the public sector, we've seen a huge uptake. That could be because of compliance reasons. We've also seen it being used quite extensively within the banking and financial verticals. Those are the biggest users of the product. There has also been an uptake in other verticals but just not as big or as vast as the public sector and the finance and banking sector.

One area that they could improve is technical support. Oftentimes, it's not as good as it should be. The turnaround time could be improved quite significantly.

It is pretty easy and straightforward. For the cloud, you don't have to do anything on the management console. That is already set up for you. The only thing that you need to configure is your scanners that are sitting on-premise. For that, you just need a linking key that you obtain from Tenable.io so that there is directional communication between the cloud, your cloud instance, and various scanners that are sitting on-premises. It would be the same process if you want to install an agent, for example, on a machine. It would apply the same way. The only difference is that instead of choosing a scanner, you'd choose an agent.

What other advice do I have?

For future users of Tenable.io, I would recommend using a layered approach. Tenable.io has an open API. So, it can be integrated with SIEM solutions. You can look at integrating it with privileged access management or any SIEM solution so that you've got all the data being pumped into a centralized location, and you are able to read the data alongside other security events coming from the SIEM and privileged access management solutions.

Companies that are currently using Tenable.io can definitely start looking at integrating some of their security solutions for a much more robust security approach.

I would rate it a solid eight out of ten.

Tenable.io Vulnerability Management
November 2022
654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ingeniero de proyectos de TI at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable with a straightforward setup and good scalability
  • "The initial setup is very straightforward."
  • "There needs to be better dashboard navigation."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for on-premises monitoring. We use it to monitor the servers in our organization.

How has it helped my organization?

For most of the updates, Windows updates, et cetera, the service will let us know when we shouldn't apply an update due to the fact that there's some missing code, for example. It gives us great insights into security risks.

What is most valuable?

The vulnerability scanning has been great as it's helped us to define some issues around the updates of some things, and some items surrounding services we need to take care of.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

The solution has been very stable and quite scalable.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard and the main panel could be better. It's lacking right now. Sometimes it's hard to find what you need in the menus. There needs to be better dashboard navigation.

There needs to be more curation of core knowledge.

The documentation was hard to find. It's not all in one place. It's kind-of all over. You have to work to seek it out.

I can't recall any features that are lacking. I can't think of any additions we'd like to see in the next release.

I've been using the solution for six months at this point. This has occurred within the last year. It hasn't been that long.

The stability is very good. I haven't had any issues with it. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability of the solution is very good. If a company needs to expand it out, it can do so with relative ease.

We have a few network engineers that work with the solution directly.

I can't speak to any plans in terms of increasing usage. it's not something that we've discussed.

I've never directly dealt with technical support. I can't speak to how knowledgeable or responsive they are.

I've read a lot of documentation and whitepapers on the product. However, they were not concentrated in one place. I had issues teaching down details about the product.

We did previously use a different solution, however, we've found Tenable to be much better.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. It's not complex. It was very easy to create an account

The deployment itself only took one day. It was quite fast.

We have four people on staff that are knowledgeable enough to handle deployment and maintenance.

We handled everything ourselves. it was all online and very simple. We didn't need the assistance of a consultant or reseller.

I don't handle the licensing aspects of the solution. I'm not aware of the costs involved.

We potentially looked at Qualys and Rapid7 before ultimately choosing Tenable.

I cannot control the main difference.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

I'd recommend the solution to other companies.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall. We're mostly very happy with its capabilities.

Security Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up with lots of great features and continuous investment in developing the product
  • "The initial setup is mostly straightforward."
  • "I'd like to see them improve their support."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily implement the solution for clients. It's mostly used for security purposes.

What is most valuable?

The product has many features and continues to develop its capabilities at a rapid pace.

It's done a lot of acquisitions and has really built out its cloud functionality. They're doing a good job of building out their cloud security.

The initial setup is mostly straightforward.

The solution is stable.

It can scale as necessary.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see them improve their support.

It would be great if there was more integration with other third-party products. They have a robust API, so it's possible to write a script in Python and extend or integrate with another solution, however, will be great if they had this integration automatically.

I've been dealing with the solution for three or four years.

The solution is stable. I haven't had any issues. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. We use AWS infrastructure and find it to be very reliable.

The general scalability is pretty good. It's easy to add on. We haven't had an issue with expansion.

At this point in time, I'm not sure if our clients intend to increase usage.

They need a better approach to support. When I have hard questions that need answers to, I prefer to jump to L3 support instead of getting pushed to L1. It's not solving my problems fast enough.

I've deployed Tenable.sc and other Tenable products. I've also dealt with FireEye.

I've been implementing the solution for four years. Therefore, I do not find it to be a difficult process. In general, it is easy to deploy, however, it depends on the client. If they are cooperative, it is easier.

We need at least one person for deployment and maintenance.

I can't speak to the exact cost of the solution.

There may be some features that we have to pay for that are extra. However, when someone wants to use Tenable.io only for vulnerability scanning and vulnerability management, there is no hidden cost.

We are partners with Tenable and therefore tend to lean towards their products more than others.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners. I mainly implement the solution.

I work with a variety of different versions. I use the whole Tenable portfolio.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Senior Information Security Engineer at a consultancy with 5,001-10,000 employees
An easy-to-use solution with smooth configuration and broad scalability
  • "The solution is easy to use and configuration is smooth with no complexities."
  • "The solution creates vulnerability tickets within the VM profile but should also include them under the Remediation tab so the fixes can be viewed in the ticketing queue."

What is our primary use case?

Our company has 25 technicians who use the solution to scan firewalls and produce scheduled compliance reports for various environments.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use and configuration is smooth with no complexities.

The solution is one of the best tools in the market for vulnerability management and remediation. It functions exactly as we desire.

What needs improvement?

The solution creates vulnerability tickets within the VM profile but should also include them under the Remediation tab so the fixes can be viewed in the ticketing queue.

Qualys is a competitor product and handles vulnerability tickets in this comprehensive manner.

I have been using the solution for two years.

The solution is stable and I have only experienced hangs a few times.

The solution is accessible from the private cloud so it is scalable to any needs.

Technical support requires constant follow up and that is an issue. Once they are made aware of an issue, it takes time for them to find a resolution. I currently have three cases and have been waiting so long for updates that I have asked for escalation.

Support provided by Qualys is better because they work with you right away to resolve issues.

I rate support a two out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Negative

The initial setup is straightforward and not hard to understand if you have worked with other solutions.

We experienced an authentication issue when the NetApp scanner was trying to log in to the system and firewall, but we modified the setting and the issue was resolved.

We deployed the solution ourselves and the complexity depends on each environment.

For example, our company has AWS, Azure, and on-premise data center environments. Our infrastructure team builds a list of assets and then our technicians deploy the solution to conduct scans.

The annual license is a bit costly but the solution is worth it.

We also use Qualys and like how it handles vulnerability tickets.

We moved to the solution because Qualys does not support Cisco Secure Firewalls and that is a requirement in our environment.

What other advice do I have?

While Qualys offers dual locations for vulnerability tickets, it is not difficult to use API calls to integrate the solution with ServiceNow for assigning mitigation.

Many companies use third-party tools like Jira to integrate things so it is not unusual. I do believe Tenable is working on an internal solution that will be available in the future.

I rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
    Antonio Scola - PeerSpot reviewer
    Owner at SUNLIT TECHNOLOGIES
    Reseller
    An easy initial setup with responsive technical support and good stability
    • "The vulnerability scanning is the most important aspect of the solution for us."
    • "The pricing of the solution could be more reasonable."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for vulnerability scanning.

What is most valuable?

The vulnerability scanning is the most important aspect of the solution for us.

The initial setup is easy. It's pretty straightforward.

The stability is very good. We have appreciated the performance it offers.

Technical support is responsive. They help if you have issues.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the solution could be more reasonable.

We've been working with the solution for many years. We have clients that have been using this solution for the last year.

The stability has been very good overall. It's reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's good.

The solution is very highly scalable, and I don't have any complaints about that. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so fairly easily.

We typically deal with medium to large-sized organizations. Typically, there are thousands of users.

Technical support is okay. We don't have any complaints about their level of service. They are knowledgeable and responsive and we are able to get the information that we need when we need it.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward. A company that wants to implement it themselves shouldn't have any issues.

We sold Tenable.io Vulnerability Management, and the implementation has always gone smoothly. It's pretty seamless overall.

The entire deployment process takes anywhere from a week to ten days. It's not too long.

You only need two to three people to handle the implementation process.

The pricing is a bit high. It could be better.

It is my understanding that our clients did not evaluate other options before this product was suggested to them last year.

The two main competitors on the market are likely Qualys and Rapid7. I'm not familiar with the key differences of each solution, however.

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller. We work with a lot of different Tenable.io products.

My only recommendation to other companies would be to put up a plan and follow the plan, point by point. Keep tracking of the result and make adjustments, if necessary. It's important to go in with a bit of a roadmap to follow. It will help ensure results.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been pretty happy with the solution overall.

OniRahman - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    Helps us manage organizations with assets with no burden to update the solution
    • "There is no burden of updating or upgrading this solution."
    • "The price could be lower."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the solution is managing organizations with assets. Our on-premises assets are in the private or public cloud so the customer doesn't need to have the server installed and deployed but can touch and go once the license has a provision. The user can use it right away.

How has it helped my organization?

By making different resources available for sharing among users and groups, Tenable.io provides endless possibilities for creating customized workflows for vulnerability management programs, regardless of any of the numerous regulatory or compliance drivers that demand keeping your business secure.

With Tenable.io, we can schedule scans, push policies, view scan findings, and control multiple Nessus scanners from the cloud. This enables the deployment of Nessus scanners throughout networks to both public and private clouds as well as multiple physical locations

What is most valuable?

There is no burden to update or upgrade the solution manually, so it's always up to date.

What needs improvement?

The price could be lower, and the grouping of platforms on the dashboard can be included in the next release of the product.

We have been using the solution for approximately four years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable because if you want to extend the license, you can do it over a call every quarter. Additionally, the scaling does not require infrastructure requirements or additional infrastructure because all are hosted in the Tenable.io Vulnerability Management cloud.

The initial setup is straightforward. However, once the account is provisioned for a user, Its just the data collector to set up Scanner/Agents, and it takes approximately two hours to set everything up.

It costs approximately $2,300 yearly.

We chose this solution because it has a great reporting feature and provides the most CVE coverage and VPR. Additionally, the solution has been in the industry for a long time and performs well.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution an eight out of ten. The solution is good, but the price could be lower, and the grouping of platforms on the dashboard can be included in the product's next release. I advise new users to know the infrastructure system and networking. Additionally, there are videos and documentation that will assist them in getting set up to use the product right away.

IT Manager at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reliable with good vulnerability management but needs better reporting
    • "The initial setup is not complex."
    • "The one drawback that we have found is the reports."

What is our primary use case?

We can scan manual stuff through Tenable.io.

We have a great view to create desktops also in Tenable.io.

What is most valuable?

Regarding vulnerability management, the web application scanning is okay. The assist agents are bringing more value to the product by getting the vulnerabilities addressed early with real-time response. This is better, rather than waiting for the scans to run or something like that.

The initial setup is not complex.

It's a stable product.

We can scale the solution.

What needs improvement?

The one drawback that we have found is the reports. We are still getting reports from Tenable.sc since the maturity levels on the reports are lacking. They need to improve the reporting in this solution. We just aren't seeing that many features or options.

I've used the solution for the past three years.

The stability is good. I don't really have any complaints. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches.

The scalability is good. I can't complain about its capabilities.

We have four people who use it in our team. There may be others using it. However, they wouldn't use it in the same way.

We may increase usage in the future.

Technical support is good. We have 24/7 support from them. There are some of sales managers who are the bridge between us and support sometimes.

It's pretty simple to set up the solution. It's not overly complex.

I don't have the exact cost numbers on tip of my tongue. However, I have some reports that are generated for us every fiscal year. I'm seeing probably around $120,000 spent. That said, I'm not sure of the exact cost for four or five people in our organization.

I'd rate the affordability of the product at a 3.5 out of five.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great product, and it brings more value with every improvement in the quarter. It's a mature product. Of course, the reporting could be better.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Download our free Tenable.io Vulnerability Management Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022