Symantec Proxy OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Symantec Proxy is the #3 ranked solution in top WAN Optimization tools and #16 ranked solution in top Web Security Gateways. PeerSpot users give Symantec Proxy an average rating of 6.2 out of 10. Symantec Proxy is most commonly compared to Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway: Symantec Proxy vs Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway. Symantec Proxy is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.

Download the WAN Optimization Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Symantec Proxy?

A Symantec secure web-filtering proxy empowers you to: Control web and cloud usage with fast app performance. Establish negative-day threat defenses. Implement multi-authentication realm support. Gain visibility into encrypted web traffic.

Symantec Proxy was previously known as Blue Coat Encrypted Traffic Management, ProxySG Appliance .

Symantec Proxy Customers

Jefferies

Symantec Proxy Video

Symantec Proxy Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Symantec Proxy pricing:
  • "Our cost was based on a three-year upfront CapEx contract."
  • "There is a license needed to use Symantec Proxy."
  • "There are no licensing fees required."
  • "It's expensive. Clients often go to other products."
  • "The price is too expensive compared with that of another solution."
  • "Licensing is based on a subscription."
  • Symantec Proxy Reviews

General Manager & founder at a engineering company with 11-50 employees
    A complex deployment, no proper user reporting, and a proxy component that works
    • "The Symantec antivirus suite and the proxy component are the most valuable feature."
    • "The initial setup is actually quite complex to install because our users don't have admin rights on the boxes and there's no remote install option by an administrator."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is a proxy for our users to get onto the internet, and it does actually work. It does block users if they don't have access to those URLs. It's just that it's a very cumbersome solution and there's no real authentication to the user before the user tries to get out onto the internet. So there are quite a few problems with WSS, hence our reason to switch over to something different.

What is most valuable?

The Symantec antivirus suite and the proxy component are the most valuable feature. That's probably why management decided to purchase the solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution can be improved by making the deployment much more user-friendly. The deployment methodologies really need to be looked at, and there needs to be authentication for the user so the user has to authenticate before they get onto the internet as such so we know and can track that this particular user is for example going to skynews.com or facebook.com or whatever that URL is.

I have been using the solution for two years.

WAN Optimization
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, F5, Allot and others in WAN Optimization. Updated: November 2022.
    655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable for the most part,  except sometimes the latency on some connections would go sky-high and nobody could ever figure out why. This forced people to reboot their machines in order to reset the network adapter.

The initial setup is actually quite complex to install because our users don't have admin rights on the boxes and there's no remote install option by an administrator. Users have to come into the office to actually have this installed, which is a big cost to users in the form of petrol and time and money.

The deployment took about six months.

The implementation is mainly in-house with the help of our agents. The users have to bring their computers into our office so an agent can install the solution on their machine.

I don't believe there is a return on investment given that our three-year contract came to an end and we replaced that product.

Our cost was based on a three-year upfront CapEx contract. I would rate the cost a six out of ten.

We had Symantec installed, and the vendor showed us that the WSS proxy was just a bolt-on and it would work as well. So we never really looked at any other products before we went to the proxy WSS service.

What other advice do I have?

I give the solution a four out of ten.

We currently have around 5,000 users but we are in the process of migrating to a different solution.

We require about eight people to maintain the solution including one project manager and one service delivery manager.

I would not recommend this solution as it is quite clunky. It just doesn't work well.

Muhammad Salahuddin - PeerSpot reviewer
    Unit Head - Network and Security Solutions at FPM Solutions
    Good URL filtering but is expensive and doesn't have good technical support services
    • "The product is very good, and the URL filtering database is great."
    • "The deployment is quite difficult."

What is our primary use case?

What we did is we replaced the TMG from Blue Coat, and we deployed the cloud solution to have URL filtering through cloud. When a user starts to work from home, they shift towards the cloud. Whenever they come to the office, they use the Proxy, on-prem solution. It's to secure their users and restrict them within the company policies to ensure they use specific websites or URL categories.

What is most valuable?

The product is very good, and the URL filtering database is great.

Their implementation has many options. They allow for granular control. You can make web policies and URL filtering policies.

It is stable and reliable.

The solution can scale.

What needs improvement?

The deployment is quite difficult.

Their support is not as per the standard, and that makes it quite difficult to deploy the product. It needs very high expertise to deploy the product line.

They're not addressing issues in a timely manner. They seem to be continuously backsliding.

It is an expensive product.

I've been working with the solution for five or six years.

The solution is stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is good.

It is scalable. It's a good product line. That said, they have some issues, some limitations, and some areas of improvement.

Technical support is not helpful and not responsive. We were very unhappy with the level of attention we received.

The engineers are not well qualified or well trained. Their response time is not good. They also just aren't accurate enough in their advice.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The deployment is very difficult and it's hard to get effective help to guide you. It's not a simple process. We struggled.

The cost is too high. It was expensive. They charge a lot of money yet don't give highly productive features.

What other advice do I have?

Symantec acquired Blue Coat, and then Broadcom acquired Symantec, so it's now the product of Broadcom.

I've used both cloud and on-premises deployments.

We're using an older version, deployed three years back or five years back. People are not deploying or purchasing the product right now. There are so many reasons. One of them is it's quite difficult to deploy. The support is also not good, and the cost is too high.

I don't recommend the product to anyone. Now that we have a next-generation firewall, there are no more requirements for Proxy solutions. Since the next-generation firewall has the same URL filtering, and advanced URL filtering capacity, they have more features than this solution offers.

I'd rate the solution four out of ten.

WAN Optimization
    November 2022
    655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Vinit_Shah - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Technology Consultant at Malomatia
    Simple setup, but lacking support and stability
    • "The initial setup of Symantec Proxy is easy."
    • "Prior to the Broadcom purchase, every appliance was application based, but now they have one ISG device and on top of it multiple applications are running. It has a single point of failure. If your device goes down, all of the applications would be down."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Symantec Proxy for outbound traffic URL filtering, and antivirus scanning of whatever package is going through the proxy system. It's fulfilling all our requirements.

What needs improvement?

Prior to the Broadcom purchase, every appliance was application based, but now they have one ISG device and on top of it multiple applications are running. It has a single point of failure. If your device goes down, all of the applications would be down.

I have been using Symantec Proxy for approximately four years.

We ordered a new Symantec Proxy device and it had hardware failures. The second device we received had a similar issue. The stability could improve.

We have approximately 500 users using Symantec Proxy in our organization.

Symantec was purchased by Broadcom and since this has happened the support has not been good. They do not find the solutions to our issues quickly. We had a small problem and it took them two months to receive a response. The support used to be good.

I rate the support from Symantec Proxy a two out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The initial setup of Symantec Proxy is easy.  The time it took for the full deployment with configuration was approximately five days. Good planning is needed to keep the deployment time down.

There is a license needed to use Symantec Proxy.

I have evaluated other solutions, such as Zscaler, and I have not seen much difference in Symantec Proxy compared to other solutions' features. Zscaler is a better option.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others there are better options compared to Symantec Proxy, such as Zscaler. It has better stability and similar features. I would recommend Zscaler when considering the cost-to-benefit analysis.

I rate Symantec Proxy a six out of ten.

I made my rating based mainly on the support team not currently being good and there is a single failure point being the device.

Security Product Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Market leaders with good URL policies that provide effective protection
    • "The most valuable features of this solution are the URL database, malicious URLs, policies, and policy creation."
    • "Support response time and case resolution could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Symantec Proxy to provide users with internet access, to allow the service to receive updates from the internet, and to block malicious websites.

What is most valuable?

Symantec is a leader in the Proxy market, they are good.

What needs improvement?

Support response time and case resolution could be improved.

With one of my previous employers, I used to deploy the Symantec Proxy. I have been dealing with Symantec Proxy for one year.

Symantec Proxy is a stable solution.

Symantec Proxy is a scalable solution.

We have 10,000 users.

Support could be more responsive and efficient in resolving cases.

Technical support could be faster, and they should be able to solve their problems.

We used Endpoint security, email security, and network security in the previous year. I also use Forcepoint Email Gateway.

Installation is not an easy task, based on my previous experience, but we worked with experts to resolve the issues.

With regard to the time it took to resolve issues, for example, we had issues that were not resolved that took about two months to resolve.

We have a team of two or three engineers to maintain this solution.

There are no licensing fees required.

What other advice do I have?

It's one of the leaders in the market, I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Symantec Proxy a seven out of ten.

Samer Hamadeh - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Information Security Engineer at SOCIALEYEZ
    Stable, with good caching for better performance and web isolation
    • "The most valuable feature is the caching."
    • "There are performance issues with all of the proxies."

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers and we implement this solution for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the caching. It's very important for the performance and the web isolation.

What needs improvement?

There are performance issues with all of the proxies. In the middle of the project, it will cause some delay. It will disconnect the internet connection. Many clients have complained about it.

We are usually using the latest version. When on-site, we always update to the latest version.

It's a stable solution. It's better than the others.

It's not easy to scale this solution. You need to change the model if you want to scale unless you are using the cloud. Everything in the cloud is easy.

It is difficult to scale an on-premises deployment because you need to change the device.

The initial setup is not easy, you need experience. It's not like other products that are straightforward, this one has an advanced population.

It can take three to four days to deploy, but it depends on the site and the customer's requirements.

It's expensive. Clients often go to other products.

What other advice do I have?

For the future, when sizing, do it for the next five years if it is on-premises so that you won't have to change the device.

You will also need the redundancy backup device, this is very important.

It's a good product.

I would rate Symantec Proxy an eight out of ten.

Pedro Chidumo - PeerSpot reviewer
    Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Is easy to use, stable, and scalable, and does not require a huge team for deployment

What is our primary use case?

We use it for browsing and for updates to our system. We use it for remote access and for meetings as well now.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use, and it is stable and scalable. You don't need a large team for deployment and maintenance.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved, and the price could be lower as well.

I've been using it for a month.

It is a stable solution.

I think Symantec Proxy is scalable. We currently have 600 users.

The installation was straightforward; it was easy, and we had no problems. We had to configure some rules, so it took about a week. We needed two administrative staff for the deployment.

The price is too expensive compared with that of another solution. We have a three-year licence.

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to use, and I would rate Symantec Proxy at nine on a scale from one to ten.

Senior System Administrator at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reseller
    Stable, and scales to our requirements

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers and we provide solutions to our customers.

We use Symantec Proxy for a forward proxy.

What needs improvement?

The technical support should be improved.

We have been using Symantec Proxy for one year.

The version we are using is SG200.

It's a stable solution.

We are a small enterprise and haven't had to option to scale. We didn't have any requirements to scale. We have 1,000 users in our organization.

We operate around the clock, in shifts.

Technical support is an area that requires some improvement. I would rate them a four out of ten.

Licensing is based on a subscription.

Currently, we have a subscription for three years.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I am still new to this solution, and learning, for now, I would rate Symantec Proxy an eight out of ten.

Cyber Security Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
    Documentation and stability needs improvement, but scales well

What is our primary use case?

We are an integrator and we have configured Symantec Proxy to be used in a bank as a proxy.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having better documentation.

I have been using this solution for approximately four months.

The stability of the solution could improve.

The solution is scalable.

We contacted customer support when we had issues and their resolution was for us to check the settings over and over. This was not helpful and did not resolve the issues we were facing. The technical support could improve, we did not receive the help we needed.

The initial installation was not difficult. However, there are many issues with the solution.

What other advice do I have?

My experience was horrible using this solution. I would not advise anyone to use it, there are a lot of improvements needed.

I rate Symantec Proxy a five out of ten.

Download our free WAN Optimization Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, F5, Allot, and more!
    Updated: November 2022