Symantec Identity Governance and Administration OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Symantec Identity Governance and Administration is the #5 ranked solution in top User Provisioning Software and #8 ranked solution in top Identity Management (IM) tools. PeerSpot users give Symantec Identity Governance and Administration an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Symantec Identity Governance and Administration is most commonly compared to SailPoint IdentityIQ: Symantec Identity Governance and Administration vs SailPoint IdentityIQ. Symantec Identity Governance and Administration is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
Symantec Identity Governance and Administration Buyer's Guide

Download the Symantec Identity Governance and Administration Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Symantec Identity Governance and Administration?

The Symantec Identity Governance and Administration (formerly CA Identity Suite) provides comprehensive identity management and governance capabilities with a simple, intuitive user experience. This user experience can dramatically simplify processes such as user access requests and access certifications, resulting in improved productivity and user satisfaction. In addition, the Symantec Identity Governance and Administration performs risk analysis and certification and enables remediation actions in real-time during the access provisioning steps, thereby improving audit performance and risk posture with preventive policy enforcement.

While providing these business and governance-centric capabilities for business users, the Symantec Identity Governance and Administration also delivers core enterprise-grade identity management and governance capabilities, including broad provisioning support for on-premise and cloud apps, extensibility and flexibility to integrate with other IT systems and consumer-grade scale. This means organizations are not forced to choose between usability and performance. With the Symantec Identity Governance and Administration, they can have both.

Symantec Identity Governance and Administration was previously known as CA Identity Suite, Symantec IGA, Layer7 Identity Suite, CA Identity Manager (CA IDM), CA Identity Minder, CA IAM, CA Identity Manager (CA IDM), CA Identity Governance.

Symantec Identity Governance and Administration Customers

Acciona, Core Blox, DBS

Symantec Identity Governance and Administration Video

Symantec Identity Governance and Administration Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Symantec Identity Governance and Administration pricing:
"I do not recall the approximate prices or licensing models, although I do so that it was priced per user number."

Symantec Identity Governance and Administration Reviews

Sudip Karmacharya - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Security Specialist at CAS Trading House
Has a simple GUI and is easy to deploy, but has no proper documentation on how to do backups, and has lengthy configurations and workflows
  • "What I found most valuable in Symantec Identity Governance and Administration is its simple GUI. It's also easy to deploy compared to other products. With other products, you have to install the Windows version inside the Windows machine on all units, but with Symantec Identity Governance and Administration, it can work offline, so the solution is a little bit easier than other systems."
  • "There are several areas for improvement in Symantec Identity Governance and Administration. They have no proper documentation on how to do backups. They also have a lengthy workflow process where we have to make some configurations to manage automation in the rules and in our tasks which takes time. We have to manually configure all the configuration files, and we cannot export users because there's no export system in Symantec Identity Governance and Administration. What we'd like to see in the next release of the solution is for them to make configuration and integration with other systems their top priorities. We have many API systems to manage, so hopefully, if they make these enhancements shortly, we can directly connect with our API systems when using Symantec Identity Governance and Administration."

What is our primary use case?

We use Symantec Identity Governance and Administration for user creation, division, modulation, workflow, and giving access to managers. We also use the solution for reconciliation and recertification purposes.

What is most valuable?

What I found most valuable in Symantec Identity Governance and Administration is its simple GUI. It's also easy to deploy compared to other products. With other products, you have to install the Windows version inside the Windows machine on all units, but with Symantec Identity Governance and Administration, it can work offline, so the solution is a little bit easier than other systems.

What needs improvement?

There are several areas for improvement in Symantec Identity Governance and Administration. They have no proper documentation on how to do backups. They also have a lengthy workflow process where we have to make some configurations to manage automation in the rules and in our tasks which takes time. We have to manually configure all the configuration files, and we cannot export users because there's no export system in Symantec Identity Governance and Administration.

What we'd like to see in the next release of the solution is for them to make configuration and integration with other systems their top priorities. We have many API systems to manage, so hopefully, if they make these enhancements shortly, we can directly connect with our API systems when using Symantec Identity Governance and Administration.

We've been using Symantec Identity Governance and Administration since 2019, so three years now.

Symantec Identity Governance and Administration
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Symantec Identity Governance and Administration. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Symantec Identity Governance and Administration is a stable solution, though sometimes you'll experience an issue or a problem with it. Stability-wise and performance-wise, I would rate it three out of five.

Currently, my company has a license for two thousand two hundred users, so you could scale Symantec Identity Governance and Administration, but only a few use it, probably because the solution has a lengthy process where you have to make a lot of connections in the backend, and that's taking up a little bit of time.

Currently, the technical support for Symantec Identity Governance and Administration isn't as good as it used to be. Broadcom has introduced other support and my company also provides support to customers, but in terms of getting good support from Broadcom, my team hasn't been getting it.

The support team for Symantec Identity Governance and Administration is responsive, but there's a delay in the response.

On a scale of one to five, with five being the best and one being the worst, I'm rating support two out of five.

We didn't use a different solution before using Symantec Identity Governance and Administration, but currently, we're searching for other solutions that have similar features to Symantec Identity Governance and Administration. We haven't found a solution with the WSO2 identity feature. We didn't find a better product. We're trying to look for a new solution because Symantec Identity Governance and Administration has a lengthy configuration. Deploying the solution and configuring rules on it is lengthy as well. We have to do all these manually, which customers don't want, so we're planning on replacing Symantec Identity Governance and Administration.

The initial setup for Symantec Identity Governance and Administration was very easy. It took around thirty minutes to be fully deployed. Setting up the solution was quite simple, but configuring it was a little bit lengthy.

On a scale of one to five, with one being the worst and five being the best, I would rate the setup for Symantec Identity Governance and Administration four out of five.

In my company, I did the deployment of Symantec Identity Governance and Administration myself. My company also supports customers in terms of deploying the solution, but via vendors.

I'm not aware of the licensing cost for Symantec Identity Governance and Administration because I'm part of the technical team, not the sales team.

What other advice do I have?

In my company, Symantec Identity Governance and Administration is deployed on-premises, but planning to deploy it on the cloud, though it hasn't been decided yet. I still need to learn how to use the cloud version of the solution.

Symantec Identity Governance and Administration doesn't require that much maintenance, and maintaining it is an easy process.

My company has between fifty to one hundred users of the solution.

I would recommend Symantec Identity Governance and Administration to others because it's a good product, particularly if you're okay with limited features. It also has a straightforward installation. The product is good enough to be used in a smaller environment, but if you want to automate more processes, then Symantec Identity Governance and Administration won't be as good. It utilizes the CPU and there could be some issues with a higher degree of automation.

I'm rating Symantec Identity Governance and Administration six out of ten.

My company has no partnership with Symantec Identity Governance and Administration.

Delivery consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to scale, but lacks an up-to-date interface or knowledgeable support staff
  • "The solution is easy to scale."
  • "The solution is not the best or the fastest available."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for general life cycle management, account provisioning and six petition processes, the regular IGA stuff.

What is most valuable?

I feel the provisioning to be done well. The model offered is very good and customizable.

What needs improvement?

The interfaces need to be revamped. They are too antiquated. This is the biggest issue I can think of.

I rate the support as a solid C. Of primary concern is that there are not too many people employed nowadays with the requisite support knowledge. Since we are talking about an increasingly antiquated product, it is likely neither easy, nor desirable, to train support staff with the requisite knowledge. The support at the moment is not very efficient.

It would be nice to see a size version of the solution, a cloud version.

The solution is not the best or the fastest available.

The solution is rather stable, but not remarkably so, as there are certain persistent bugs which tend to be present from one version to the next.

The initial setup is rather complex. While they've made efforts to improve this and there's a separate version that comes with a pre-package model, the process remains, nevertheless, complex.

We have been using Symantec Identity Governance and Administration for 10 years.

The solution is rather, but not remarkably, stable, as it is plagued by a number of bugs which persist from one version to the next.

The solution is easy to scale. It requires a certain amount of configuration which surpasses the norm, but it takes a rather nice load.

The support could be greatly improved. As the solution is becoming increasingly antiquated, there does not seem to be a capability or a desire to provide support staff with the adequate knowledge. It is inefficient. This is why I rate it a C.

In spite of the efforts that have been made to improve the initial setup process, and the inclusion of a separate version that comes with a pre-package model, I still find it to be rather complex.

I used to work for the vendor and this is how I acquainted myself with the deployment process.

While the deployment does not entail specific maintenance, it does a certain amount of data maintenance, as is required of any product. One must monitor his processes and ensure that everything is running smoothly. While this will, obviously, depend on the number of integrations one has, it is no different in this respect than that of a regular application, the only difference being the tendency to be more critical to the general infrastructure.

We have four or five people responsible for the maintenance.

I do not recall the approximate prices or licensing models, although I do so that it was priced per user number. As there were certain drastic cutoffs depending on the volumes, the values had much variance.

What other advice do I have?

I am not certain of the number of users who are making use of the solution in our organization, although I believe there to be four or five when it comes to my European colleagues. Globally, there are probably more.

I would recommend this solution to others, since it gets the job done. While it may not be the best or the fastest solution, it is a work machine, so it is good enough.

I rate Symantec Identity Governance and Administration as a seven out of ten.

Symantec Identity Governance and Administration
November 2022
656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Alfredo Silva - PeerSpot reviewer
ALiBS Solutions at ALiBS Solutions
Combines simplicity with enhanced security, but offers weak integration capabilities
  • "It's a very useful tool that has improved our client's security, from day one."
  • "Integration capabilities with other solutions and formats, including JSON, could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We provide technical expertise for some of our clients. I've worked with thousands of clients.

I work with both small clients (1,000 users) and large clients (100,000 users). Our clients use this solution every day. With people constantly being hired and fired, user access is always being granted to new employees and taken from old employees. We use this solution to decipher and determine user access.

Our clients collect information surrounding the access that many of their users have. Different users are granted different access and rights. We have a process that monitors and plans user rights in accordance. From the information that we compile using this solution, we then release a report to the manager who then determines the type of access a user gets.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves security. It's a very useful tool that has improved our client's security, from day one.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very easy to use. Once it's been configured correctly, it's very easy to use, but it's not an easy tool to configure. Technically speaking, you need a lot of knowledge to make it run properly.

What needs improvement?

All software has room for improvement. There are some features that could be added to make it even more user-friendly.

Integration capabilities with other solutions and formats, including JSON, could be improved. Integration is not easy at all.

I have been using Symantec Identity Governance and Administration since 2004.

The stability could be improved. It really comes down to proper monitoring — there are a lot of good replication processes behind the scenes. If there are problems with the monitoring, then there will be problems, stability-wise.

On a scale from one to ten, scalability-wise, I would give this solution a rating of seven.

Personally, I don't think the technical support is very good. The technicians don't seem to have enough training and knowledge surrounding the solution — they don't have in-depth knowledge.

The installation is easy, but system integration for specific clients is very complex because each client has their own use case. You have to really understand what a client needs in their environment to master this solution. In short, installation is very easy but customization is not.

In most cases, deployment takes roughly two to five days.

As the final decision comes down to our clients, they are the ones who evaluate other possible options.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but only for small to medium-sized companies. It doesn't perform that well for large companies.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Symantec Identity Governance and Administration a rating of seven.

Umair Akhlaque - PeerSpot reviewer
Enterprise Solutions & Services Head at Duroob Technologies
An extremely customizable solution that’s very stable and easily scalable
  • "There are many valuable features within the solution. The product is easy to customize. It’s also highly secure."
  • "The directory has room for improvement. Also, the dashboards and, in particular, the KPI dashboard that shows the current user’s information needs reworking."

What is our primary use case?

We have three primary uses for the solution. We use it to centralize  accounts and directories. We also use it for  new registration of our new employees and for users to self-reset password.

How has it helped my organization?

Our customers get ROI by implementing Self User Registration & Self Reset

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if they could consolidate the workflow. Right now, because everything is on a different workflow engine, seamless integration cannot happen. If the solution offers a single workflow engine and a single reporting engine for all security targets, that would be ideal.

I’ve been using the solution for three to four years.

The solution is very stable.

This product is highly customizable and flexible in terms of handling customer requirements.

I’m not happy with technical support at all. It’s very limited.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Nop

With any identity management product, you’re going to have complexities, so the setup is not simple. It’s a complex infrastructure and implementation and it requires reasonable expertise from those handling the implementation.

Our team of technical consultants implemented to customer site

Secure Automated Mechanism to have centralize directory to manage Users.

Expensive solution & implementation takes time to implement

What other advice do I have?

For an organization looking for an identity management suite, it’s the kind of tool you can invest in the long term.

For those considering implementing the solution, I would recommend finding the right partners who have the right implementation experience to assist. There is no doubt this product has capabilities. The important thing is to find someone who understands the business requirements. It’s really important because statistically, 70% of identity management projects fail. Most of the time the product has the capabilities but the consultant doesn’t have the ability to customize the solution.

I’d rate the solution nine out of ten.

Alfredo Silva - PeerSpot reviewer
ALiBS Solutions at ALiBS Solutions
User-friendly, easy to manage, and straightforward to set up
  • "The scalability potential is there if a company needs to expand."
  • "There are times that it takes too long to generate reports and to run the assessment tools to collect the information."

What is our primary use case?

The governance use case is to collect all the knowledge about the user profiles and rights and permissions they have and consolidate them with a unique view so we can manage them to grant more permissions or to remove some permissions.

What is most valuable?

I don't think there is a feature that I like most. It does what it has to do. It shows me the information I need, and I can manage it with ease.

The solution is user-friendly and easy to use.

The initial setup is pretty simple.

The stability is good.

The scalability potential is there if a company needs to expand.

What needs improvement?

There is no preferable feature. It works well in general.

The performance could be better. Sometimes there is a problem with performance. There are times that it takes too long to generate reports and to run the assessment tools to collect the information. It could be faster.

The solution has been used for more than ten years in our company.

The stability of the product is great. There is a little bit of a performance in that sometimes it can take a while to pull reports, however, it doesn't crash or freeze and there are no bugs or glitches.

The solution scales well. If a company needs to expand, it can do so.

Technical support is good. I find them to be helpful and responsive. In general, we are satisfied with the level of support on offer.

Overall, the initial setup was pretty simple. I have not done it personally, however, from what I have seen, I believe it's easy.

We only need two people for deployment and maintenance.

I have not personally seen an ROI.

What other advice do I have?

We are a Symantec partner.

Our clients are using the most up-to-date version of the solution. I'm not sure of the exact version number.

I would advise new users that there are a lot of good providers for all of these tools. I advise people to test them to make sure they have the best one for the organization's needs.

In general, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

DarwinSolano - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A stable and scalable solution with useful features such as self-registration, self-service password management, and role modeling
  • "Self-registration and self-service password management are valuable features. The role modeling feature is also very useful. It allows you to model your enterprise role."
  • "They provide a framework to develop your own connectors. A connector is a piece of software that integrates with the solutions that are not a part of the support matrix. Currently, it is difficult to create these connectors in this solution. Other solutions, such as NetIQ Identity, provide a better way to create your own connector. Currently, there is no cloud version. It should have a cloud version."

What is our primary use case?

We offer solutions to financial and government institutions. Symantec Identity Governance and Administration is a part of our security solutions. We use it to create users and assign them privileges.

What is most valuable?

Self-registration and self-service password management are valuable features. The role modeling feature is also very useful. It allows you to model your enterprise role.

What needs improvement?

They provide a framework to develop your own connectors. A connector is a piece of software that integrates with the solutions that are not a part of the support matrix. Currently, it is difficult to create these connectors in this solution. Other solutions, such as NetIQ Identity, provide a better way to create your own connector.

Currently, there is no cloud version. It should have a full cloud version.

I have been using this solution for about seven years.

It is very stable. There are no issues.

It is easy to code into this solution. You just have to run a setup configuration and, in a few minutes, you have two services. In terms of the number of users, we have around 10,000 users.

When I started working with this solution, I had some issues, and they helped me a lot. I don't have any issues with their technical support.

Its latest version is very easy to set up. The deployment takes around one hour, and after that, you have to do some configurations. The duration for that depends on how many systems you have. It can take one or two months.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is a great solution. I like this solution, and that's why I have been using it for seven years. I would advise others to do proper role modeling before implementing this solution. Role modeling is really important for any identity management solution.

I would rate Symantec Identity Governance and Administration a nine out of ten.

General Manager at Global SEIS
Plenty of features and scalable

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspects of Symantec Identity Governance and Administration are all the features, it is the most complete solution on the market. It has features, such as scanners and portals, it has everything.

I have been using Symantec Identity Governance and Administration for approximately 10 years.

We have approximately 2,000 users using Symantec Identity Governance and Administration in my organization. It is scalable.

The support from Symantec Identity Governance and Administration could improve.

The price of Symantec Identity Governance and Administration could improve.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Symantec Identity Governance and Administration an eight out of ten.

Download our free Symantec Identity Governance and Administration Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022