Symantec Endpoint Encryption OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Symantec Endpoint Encryption is the #3 ranked solution in top Endpoint Encryption tools. PeerSpot users give Symantec Endpoint Encryption an average rating of 7.2 out of 10. Symantec Endpoint Encryption is most commonly compared to Microsoft BitLocker: Symantec Endpoint Encryption vs Microsoft BitLocker. Symantec Endpoint Encryption is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Endpoint Encryption Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Symantec Endpoint Encryption?
Symantec Drive Encryption, powered by PGP technology provides organizations with strong full-disk and removable media encryption and the ability to integrate with Symantec Data Loss Prevention. Intuitive management enables enterprise scale deployments and features compliance-based, out-of-the-box reporting plus customizable reports. Management capabilities include support for native OS encryption (FileVault2) and Opal compliant self-encrypting drives.

Symantec Endpoint Encryption was previously known as Symantec Drive Encryption.

Symantec Endpoint Encryption Customers
Citrix Systems Inc., City of Lansing, Commercial & Industrial Property, France T_l_visions, Fujian Mobile Co. Ltd., Group Lotus plc, Hall Booth Smith & Slover, P.C. (HBSS), Portugal Telecom, PostFinance, Public Pension Agency
Symantec Endpoint Encryption Video

Symantec Endpoint Encryption Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Symantec Endpoint Encryption pricing:
"Although the performance and stability of this solution are good, our challenge is the price tag. You buy the solution once, but you also have to keep on buying the licenses yearly."

Symantec Endpoint Encryption Reviews

Luka Sibanda - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Technician at ICT Dynamix (Pty) Ltd
MSP
Not user-friendly and lacks integration with ICT, but provides adequate protection
  • "The best feature of Symantec Endpoint Encryption is the encryption itself. Encryption truly is the way to go because nowadays we are living in an era of widespread server threats, and you need to encrypt your emails and documents because you never know who might get hold of them."
  • "One feature that is lacking is integration with Symantec Information Centric (ICT). As it is now, I don't see how to integrate the encryption with ICT, and in my opinion this is an area that certainly requires encryption, even though it's no longer supported by Broadcom."

What is our primary use case?

We use Symantec Endpoint Encryption to encrypt either emails or files that a user might want to upload. We typically deploy the encryption on the client's network in order to encrypt their messages or documents before they send them, or after they've been received.

We have just under 20 staff in our company and most of the people working with Symantec Endpoint Encryption are Symantec engineers.

What is most valuable?

None of our customers have complained about this solution at all, so I take it that everything is still working fine.

What needs improvement?

Another improvement that comes to mind is that it could be made much simpler. The user must be able to use it easily and without any hassle. At present, it's not user-friendly.

I have been using Symantec Endpoint Encryption for more than five years.

November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Microsoft, McAfee and others in Endpoint Encryption. Updated: November 2022.
655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.

So far, we haven't seen any performance or stability issues.

We haven't been through the process of scaling it as such, but we have plenty of experience in deploying it to the cloud. However, sometimes a customer who wanted to deploy it for the cloud won't get back to us, and I think in these cases it has to do with finances rather than more practical matters.

If we have any problems, our best option is to go online and log a ticket, but we haven't yet encountered any issues.

We started with Symantec Endpoint Encryption and haven't used any other solutions of this kind before.

It is complex to set up so you really have to know what you're doing. You must have someone with experience in it before you can deploy it on a customer's premises.

We do the deployment in-house, and it takes a team of about ten people.

We don't directly make money when using this tool; instead, we are just using it for protection and security.

In the future, if we decide to evaluate other products we will first compare the new product with Symantec and if it is more user-friendly and cheaper to use, then, naturally, we will go the route of the other product instead.

What other advice do I have?

One piece of advice I would like to share with anyone who'd like to use Symantec is that you need to dig deep into the product and learn it well.

Before you take it into production, you should study it within a simulated environment so that you can really understand how to use it and how you can convince other stakeholders of its value. This includes learning how to deploy it and integrate it with all the other servers that might be found on the customer's environment, especially when it comes to email and file storage, file servers, database servers, and application servers.

I would rate Symantec Endpoint encryption a five out of ten.

Project Engineer (Engineer II) at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, but has a complex setup and it needs to offer seamless switching
  • "The solution is pretty stable."
  • "The initial setup is a bit complex."

What is most valuable?

I don't manage the solution. I don't manage the console and everything. However, password recovery is the best, the easiest part.

The solution is pretty stable.

What needs improvement?

If it could offer seamless upgrades to seamlessly do the switching that would be great. That's the pain point here now. The setup time takes quite a while sometimes. The encryption, once you install a new computer, takes a few hours to encrypt. From our testing, it feels like nothing is being restored, however, it's actually running in the background.

We'd like to switch from Symantec due to the fact that the switching part is a pain. If we want to switch our Windows it will be a pain to do that. We have thousands of machines. It would be a hassle if you have to switch every time to do that.

The initial setup is a bit complex.

I've worked with the solution for quite some time already. I was using it before I transferred to this current team. I'm not sure for how long it has been at this point. I've used it for some time already.

The stability seems to be okay. It works as it was designed to. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I can't speak to the scalability. We have about 2,000 people on the solution currently, however, I cannot speak to the scaling process or if we have ever attempted to scale it. We likely won't increase usage.

In terms of technical support, we don't really engage with them. There are not many issues with it. It's just the Windows update that gives us issues. That's the only issue, the main issue. Other than that, there hasn't been a reason to engage with them directly and therefore I can't speak to their level of responsiveness or knowledgeability.

The Symantec setup is a bit complex. It takes time. It is simple, but it takes time. It also takes a bit longer when creating the profiles at first.

It is my understanding that we handled everything in-house. I do not recall using an integrator or consultant.

We pay on a yearly basis. The cost isn't much, however, if we switch to BitLocker there may be some cost savings there as well.

We are currently considering a switch to Bitlocker due to the issues we are facing with updates. It could potentially save us money as well. BitLocker has different types of cost charging depending on which model you choose. We are in the process of evaluation right now.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using. It's not the latest one. I understand the latest one will be able to go page Windows - which we also partnered with. The problem is not all our machines are on the latest version. We are looking to see if we switch to the latest one. In a few years, Microsoft will likely change to a new version again. Then we will be having the same problem again.

It's best to align with Microsoft so that we do not have to do so many changes. Not catching up with Windows is also a risk currently due to the Microsoft Edge issue now. Without the latest Windows version, we cannot use the latest Edge version.

I'd rate the solution at a five out of ten overall. It works okay, however, the switching part and initial setup make it an undesirable option for us.

November 2022
655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Can be managed from a central point and is stable
  • "I like the management aspect of this solution. You don't want to have end-users tweak or set it themselves, so the fact that you could do it from a central point helped us a lot."
  • "What I didn't find helpful in the version we used is the fact that all devices had to be on the same network for us to push through the encryption."

What is most valuable?

I like the management aspect of this solution. You don't want to have end-users tweak or set it themselves, so the fact that you could do it from a central point helped us a lot.

We really liked the vanilla flavor set up. It is stable as well.

What needs improvement?

What I didn't find helpful in the version we used is the fact that all devices had to be on the same network for us to push through the encryption. With lockdowns and people working from home nowadays because of the COVID-19 pandemic, there's no way to deploy a solution in that manner.

It should be easier to classify documents that should be encrypted, that is, to create policies for documents that should be encrypted. Maybe, it should be according to departments as well.

Customization should be a bit more granular because nowadays, things are very dynamic. Environments are very fluid. So, the policies should reflect that.

In terms of the policies you can apply, there should be a bit more granularity to it, and it should be something that you can turn on and turn off as needed.

I had used Symantec Endpoint Encryption for three months. We used the version before the last version.

It is a stable solution.

For me, the initial setup was intuitive, but then again, I'd had experience with deploying software for 10 years prior to that point.

Back then, deploying software was not like what it is today; it was much harder. You had to do a lot more customization. However, I have a lot experience, so I wouldn't have been phased by any issue I may have encountered.

What other advice do I have?

I'm in Nigeria, and we also serve Ghana, Sierra Leone, Kenya, and a bit of South Africa. Whenever you're deploying security solutions such as Symantec Endpoint Encryption, there has to be a lot more focus on sensitizing the people who are going to be affected.

We train the IT staff on how to manage it, but we don't train the end-users on what it involves and the advantages of the solution. We also don't inform them of the changes they may have to make in terms of their behavior, how they access data, how they use the data, etc. We need to let them know that it doesn't mean that they are completely secure. The biggest issue about security is human error. So, I think sensitizing the users should also go hand in hand with deployment.

I would rate Symantec Endpoint Encryption at eight on a scale from one to ten.

Faisal Mian - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO at ABM Info. tech
Stable and easy to use but is too expensive
  • "The installation process is pretty straightforward."
  • "They have too high of a price tag. That's why they're losing the market share."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for endpoint protection. It can help us protect our information.

What is most valuable?

The product is stable.

It's a scalable enough product.

The solution is easy to use. We use it quite a lot - and not just Endpoint Encryption - we use a lot of their solutions.

The installation process is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The only challenge which I see is that they are no longer the major market player. They have too high of a price tag. That's why they're losing the market share.

Technical support needs to be better. They need more skilled techs and they need to be faster at responding.

We've been using the solution since 2003.

The stability of the product is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

We have three or four clients on the solution currently.

We have 40,000 Symantec endpoints in all of our banks.

Previously, once the ticket is open and assigned, it was very good. However, now, based on the transition to Symantec, there's a lapse that brings a bad name to the product. It's not as good as it used to be. They likely use some market share between the bad customer service and the high pricing.

In Pakistan, they do not handle the troubleshooting directly. It's contracted out. If you do finally reach a proper engineer from Broadcom, they tend to know what they are doing and can help. However, it takes a long time to get a proper engineer.

The installation is pretty straightforward, especially for an engineer. It's a process that just flows. It's pretty easy whether it's deployed on-premises or in the cloud.

The licensing is pretty high. They need to fix it so that they are more competitive.

The customer needs to pay the cost of the license on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of encryption, we do deployments in the region on behalf of Symantec. We have Symantec DLP for almost 20,000 plus users. We have the messaging gateway from Symantec and we have SSL certification and issue verification from Symantec. We also have Blue Coat from Symantec, which we keep selling to our clients.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Assistant Manager at AmBank Group
Reliable, easy to expand, and offers good encryption
  • "It is fairly stable."
  • "The product can be expensive. Price was a factor in moving away from the product."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution as part of our company's regulations. It was for our governance.

What is most valuable?

It was fairly easy to encrypt and decrypt files.

It is fairly stable.

We could scale the solution.

What needs improvement?

We'd like the solution to be lighter. Symantec used quite a lot of memory.

We'd like it to offer a better decryption tool. If we lost the recovery key, we had a lot of issues.

We've been using the solution for six or seven years.

The solution was stable and did not crash. It didn't have bugs or glitches.

The scalability has been quite good in general. We could expand if we needed to.

At the time we were using the solution, we have upwards of 10,000 people on it.

We never actually contacted technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they would be. The only time we might have reached out was when we wanted to do an upgrade.

We've actually already moved over to Bitlocker. We switched in order to take advantage of cost savings.

The solution had a moderate amount of difficulty at the time of implementation. It was neither easy nor hard.

We found the solution to be more expensive than Bitlocker, which is what we moved to.

We looked into Bitlocker and began using it last year. We've since moved on from Symantec.

What other advice do I have?

We were a customer and end-user. We replaced the Symantec Encryption.

I'd advise users, whether they use Symantec or not, to study their environment first and really understand what they need.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Forensic Technology Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Seamless encryption with good stability and offers the ability to scale
  • "We have been very satisfied with the solution's security capabilities."
  • "From an administration point of view, maybe it would be ideal to have it centrally managed."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for encryption. It encrypts drives. It protects drives. The information pertaining to the drive is secured.

What is most valuable?

We have been very satisfied with the solution's security capabilities.

The stability is good.

The product scales very well.

The encryption is pretty seamless.

What needs improvement?

The primary objective is to encrypt drives. It's doing a good job. I cannot recall coming across any missing features.

From an administration point of view, maybe it would be ideal to have it centrally managed.

I used the solution more in my previous role, and probably have about four or five years of experience with the product.

The solution has been stable. It does not crash or freeze. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches.

The product can scale if a company needs to expand it. It's not a problem.

We have around 3,500 users on the solution currently.

I've never directly dealt with technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

There wasn't really an implementation process. It's pre-loaded on our Golden Image. It was in with the Windows 10 addition. We didn't have to do anything really.

The product was part of an enterprise solution. Therefore, the pricing was tucked in as part of other Symantec products. It was part of a bundle procurement. There was an antivirus, endpoint encryption, and a whole lot of other Symantec products bundled together.

My understanding is that everything was under a yearly subscription, however, I can't speak to the exact price of the bundle.

What other advice do I have?

Up until last year, I was using the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

Infrastructure Manager at Quaracrm
Initial setup was easy but the UI is lacking

What is our primary use case?

My use case is to protect my assets and information, and to have visibility over user activity.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup was easy.

What needs improvement?

The UI could be improved.

I've been using this solution for six months.

It's a stable product but I have to search for anything I need.

The technical support could be improved, it took a long time to get tickets resolved.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Negative

The initial setup was easy but we had an issue with the product. We used a consultant for implementation and deployment took around two months. The senior system engineer and the managing director used this solution.

We paid an annual license fee.

What other advice do I have?

We had approximately 600 users but we migrated to a different solution because of some issues. I can't recommend this product.

I rate this solution six out of 10.

Senior Executive Officer (IT) at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
A well-integrated encryption solution, but it was difficult to install

What is our primary use case?

It is good for encryption and USB devices.

What is most valuable?

The systems are quite integrated.

What needs improvement?

The problem with Symantec is that we have solutions that overlap. So sometimes we don't know which solution to use.

We have been using this solution for about five years.

it is quite stable.

Scalability isn't applicable here because it is an endpoint encryption tool. We have about 200 people using the solution. Our usage will increase if we get new employees.

We used McAfee Disk Encryption in the past.

It was hard to install and took us about three months. The installation was outsourced.

It has annual licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a seven out of ten, and I recommend doing a POC before implementing it.

Download our free Endpoint Encryption Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Microsoft, McAfee, and more!
Updated: November 2022