We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

StarWind Virtual Tape Library OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

StarWind Virtual Tape Library is #11 ranked solution in top Software Defined Storage (SDS) tools and #13 ranked solution in HCI Software. PeerSpot users give StarWind Virtual Tape Library an average rating of 10 out of 10. StarWind Virtual Tape Library is most commonly compared to Red Hat Ceph Storage: StarWind Virtual Tape Library vs Red Hat Ceph Storage. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 35% of all views.
What is StarWind Virtual Tape Library?

For SMB and Enterprises, who either look to get rid of backup tapes completely, or are willing to accelerate backup process and add an extra level of protection, our solution is StarWind Virtual Tape Library (VTL). It is an appliance that eliminates the need in physical tape and “pretends” to be a supported tape drive or autoloader, keeping all data on inexpensive, fast and high-capacity spinning disks.

Even with explosive data growth, StarWind VTL fits the backup into backup window by accelerating it, so the process does not overlap with production time. Optionally, it creates additional copy of backup data for better safety. It is also available in a software-only form, as part of StarWind VSAN functionality.

StarWind VTL targets those, who need to replace existing tape backup infrastructure or accelerate it if regulatory requirements prohibit replacement. In case the goal is just virtualizing tape backup or creating a stretched backup infrastructure, StarWind Tape Redirector will come in handy.

Download the Software Defined Storage (SDS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

StarWind Virtual Tape Library Customers

Volvo, Sony, Samsung, Hitachi

StarWind Virtual Tape Library Video

StarWind Virtual Tape Library Pricing Advice

What users are saying about StarWind Virtual Tape Library pricing:
  • "The initial setup and deployment are also covered in the purchase at no additional cost."
  • "The pricing of the solution could be more flexible to meet the needs of smaller to mid-market size companies."
  • StarWind Virtual Tape Library Reviews

reviewer1455984
    Senior Systems Administrator at Maple Reinders Constructors Ltd.
    Cost-effective, reliable, and the initial setup and deployment are included in the price
    • "I like the fact that we can simultaneously upload the virtual tapes to different cloud providers, and the settings can be adjusted to speed up the upload times even further."
    • "The main thing that I felt could be improved was having an estimated time of completion for the virtual tape uploads to the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We were looking for physical tape backups to protect against DR situations but were concerned about the fact that it would require manual intervention, with respect to the changing of tapes and sending them offsite. This is something that we could easily forget.

Luckily, I came across Starwind VTL. This product is the same as having a physical tape library without the hassle of changing tapes. The whole process is automated and we have the option of choosing between multiple cloud storage providers such as Amazon, Wasabi, Azure, etc.

It's been six months and it has been working well without any issue. The jobs are completed within 24 hours, which meets our RTO.

In regards to the cost, we ended up saving a few thousand dollars as well, due to the high cost of the physical tape library.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using StarWind's VTL to upload virtual tapes to Amazon and Wasabi simultaneously, in addition to having local virtual tape backups via Veeam. We did not have to purchase a new backup solution, as Starwind integrates seamlessly with Veeam.

Also, by integrating with Veeam, we are able to leverage deduplication and compression features with the virtual tapes. This allows for the uploads to finish quicker, as well. Because of this, we are able to meet our disaster recovery objectives within a 24 hour period.

We also avoided the costs of a physical tape library, as well as having to need users to change tapes and schedule offsite pickups.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that we can simultaneously upload the virtual tapes to different cloud providers, and the settings can be adjusted to speed up the upload times even further. This helps with our RPO objective, which is within 24 hours.

The cost is also much lower, as uploading to cloud storage providers such as Wasabi is very cheap. This is unlike physical tape libraries that can cost thousands of dollars in addition to tape costs.

The virtual tapes themselves are also in linear tape-open (LTO) format, which means they are air-gapped.

What needs improvement?

The main thing that I felt could be improved was having an estimated time of completion for the virtual tape uploads to the cloud.

There is no easy way to determine how long an upload took to complete without looking into the logs, which is very cumbersome. I spoke with their support and was able to add it as a feature request. Starwind VTL is in constant development and after my discussion with them, I found out that they are planning to include this feature in the next release.

I've been using this solution for almost six months.

We did not have any previous solution for offsite backup other than file-level cloud backup such as iDrive, which didn't meet our needs.

The initial purchase already includes one year of maintenance support. The initial setup and deployment are also covered in the purchase at no additional cost.

We looked at physical tape libraries but we soon found out the cost was much higher, and moreover, users did not want to manually change tapes.

Other
    Kelly Von Der Heyden
    Sales Director at Cloud Ready
    Reseller
    Knowledgeable technical support, flexible, and simple lab configuration

What is our primary use case?

We use StarWind Virtual Tape Library as a high-capacity storage system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the StarWind Virtual Tape Library is the archiving to the AWS cloud.

I have been using StarWind Virtual Tape Library for approximately four years.

StarWind Virtual Tape Library has been stable.

The support that they provide is excellent. They have 24 hours a day seven days a week support, and all the engineers and the support staff know the solution very well.

What is our primary use case?

We use StarWind Virtual Tape Library as a high-capacity storage system.

What is most valuable?

I have been using StarWind Virtual Tape Library for approximately four years.

StarWind Virtual Tape Library has been stable.

The initial setup is straightforward. Additionally, it is easy to configure in a lab and to run tests, which is very important.

The pricing of the solution could be more flexible to meet the needs of smaller to mid-market size companies.

What other advice do I have?

I rate StarWind Virtual Tape Library an eight out of ten.