Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

SolarWinds AppOptics OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SolarWinds AppOptics is #33 ranked solution in APM tools and #39 ranked solution in Infrastructure Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give SolarWinds AppOptics an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. SolarWinds AppOptics is most commonly compared to Dynatrace: SolarWinds AppOptics vs Dynatrace. SolarWinds AppOptics is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the Application Performance Management (APM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is SolarWinds AppOptics?

AppOptics is a SaaS-based simple, powerful and affordable Infrastructure & Application monitoring for custom on-premises, cloud, and hybrid systems.

Your business runs on applications, and when they go down or run slowly, it can impact the business in lost productivity, customers, or revenue. To add to the complexity, your IT environment is changing, and workloads can be spread across data centers, and cloud resources. You need to monitor the availability and performance of applications and infrastructure, regardless of where they are, so you can identify potential issues early and address them before they impact users

SolarWinds AppOptics was previously known as AppOptics, SolarWinds TraceView, Librato.

SolarWinds AppOptics Customers

Traxo

Covea Insurance

BTE Technology

Datarista

SolarWinds AppOptics Video

Archived SolarWinds AppOptics Reviews (more than two years old)

Dinesh Nekkanti - PeerSpot reviewer
Digital Innovation at Bobcat Company
Easy to set up, with helpful and responsive technical support
  • "Technical support is always live and they're supportive."
  • "AppOptics would benefit from having a much more centralized view."

What is our primary use case?

We are using AppOptics to monitor our servers and applications. It looks at the logs and the other data that is available in the environments that we want to be monitored.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very good.

What needs improvement?

AppOptics would benefit from having a much more centralized view. Rather than having to use several applications such as Papertrain, Loggly, and NPM, just have one main application wherein you can get all of the logs and other information about the server. This would allow us to more quickly dig down into the system, in more detail.

Adding more widgets to the interface would make it a richer environment.

My company has been using AppOptics for a long time.

Application Performance Management (APM)
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about SolarWinds, Dynatrace, New Relic and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: September 2022.
635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have had some minor issues where the data is not picked up, although it is pretty good.

The whole company uses AppOptics. I do not know how many people are in different teams, although I can say that we have fewer than 100 users. The teams that use it are the infrastructure team, the application development team, and the monitoring teams.

We spoke with AppOptics about wanting to scale and they were willing to give us a deal.

Technical support is always live and they're supportive. I would say that they are both responsive and helpful.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Our in-house team handled the deployment. One or two people in the DevOps team are responsible for maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing AppOptics is to contact technical support when you begin deployment. They will explain how everything works and you can install right away. It is easy to start.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Hariharan-Mahadevan - PeerSpot reviewer
Program Director at Tata Consultancy Services
Offers valuable reporting features and stability but it needs better performance monitoring
  • "The reporting of the solution is very good."
  • "The implementation needs improvement. It needs to get modernized with the newer cloud scenario in both public and private deployment models."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to bring up all the inventory information used for the whole deployment. The tool was extensively used. We used to use this solution for managing our service management portfolio.

What is most valuable?

The reporting of the solution is very good.

What needs improvement?

This is especially true on the reporting side of it. It has to get integrated with tools like Power BI. That way, we can create our own customized viewer screens that help our management. It has to really network with Magic Quadrant.

Performance monitoring ability would be a good idea to improve within the solution. It would really help.

I've been using the solution since 2015 or 2016.

The solution has been very stable. I haven't witnessed any bugs, glitches or crashes.

The solution is scalable. We have a pretty big operation to scale and we also used a cloud to have the data center moved. The scalability was useful to us at the time.

Our user base is about 100 people from the IT department largely.

We've never been in touch with technical support.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was a bit of a challenge. When we are using the tool, we have to get permissions within that IP, particularly for all the ports that need to get opened up. That is something that was very time consuming when we originally deployed.

It's best to install the solution with the assistance of consultants or integrators in order to get the clarity you need.

We didn't look at other vendors before choosing this solution. Once we started looking into and experimenting with this solution, we realized we didn't need to.

What other advice do I have?

When we're moving from on-premises to the cloud, we really would like to know what others are doing so that we're better prepared for the shift. That's something we're working on right now. With the cloud becoming popular and having higher demand, once the solution has modernized the ability to migrate and to set the cloud up, it will be great.

Our program management team and steering committee are really interested in knowing how real day-to-day operations are affected by this solution and what the cost factor is. We'd like to understand a bit better in financial terms how the solution is impacting our business. Right now, we don't have that available to us.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Application Performance Management (APM)
September 2022
635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Web Administrator at a sports company with 51-200 employees
Valuable features include Heat Maps, Stack traces, and Pathview Monitoring

What is most valuable?

Heat Maps, Stack traces, and Pathview Monitoring (load speeds from various locations)

How has it helped my organization?

We utilize various parts of the tools (from Stack traces detailing service call counts and timelines; to error tracking) to help improve overall site functionality as well as site reliability.

What needs improvement?

Added functionality for filtering and display results would be a nice addition.

AppNeta has been in use for around a year and a half.

We have had a few minor issues with deployments communication with the reporting server. But product support has been extremely fantastic in helping resolve issues as soon as they arrise.

We had a stability issue with a portion of the installation (Sequencer) when it was first introduced and have chosen not to install that specific function.

No, scalability is very easy.

Customer service is exceptional. They are very much in tune with our service needs and are always in contact for both enhancement requests and overall satisfaction.

Technical support is excellent. On the few instances of having to use support, they have been helpful and have communicated very well until the issue was resolved.

We used to use New Relic but switched for pricing and functionality issues.

Initial setup is very straightforward and very well documented. We were up and running on a dozen servers within the first few hours.

All in house.

it_user382536 - PeerSpot reviewer
Staff Site Reliability Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
We like how it provides visibility into the requests that flow through our SOA applications.

What is most valuable?

With minimal effort on our part, TraceView provides extraordinary visibility into the requests that flow through our SOA applications. The causes of performance issues and bottlenecks have become trivial to find.

How has it helped my organization?

Product reliability has been improved, allowing more time to be spent on features as opposed to maintenance/fires.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see the ability to use other internal instrumented applications as filters in the overview/aggregation screen.

I've used it for two years.

We did not encounter any issues with deployment. With minimal effort we were able to automate all deployment via Puppet and use APIs for all administrative interactions for tasks, such as registering new apps and hosts.

The product has been very stable for us.

We haven't had any issues scaling up as the product supports our hundreds of applications.

Customer service has been excellent and answers are concise and prompt.

Technical support has been amazing, bugs are quickly fixed in weeks or less depending on the severity, many feature requests have been accepted and implemented in the short term.

Our in-house similar solution was dropped in favor of an external vendor. The product is not driving our revenue, so it was considered a better choice to pay a recurring fee and have all developers creating features for our customers.

The product is not overly complicated and consists of a few packages (eg, .rpms) to install along with a Java command line option for each application. The on-host configuration is flexible enough for automated environments to take control as necessary.

We implemented it with our in-house team.

We did not calculate an ROI.

Pricing and licensing seem on par for the product space.

New Relic was also examined.

What other advice do I have?

The products in this space are targeted at slightly different niches. TraceView, for example, is aimed for shops with a large SOA-style footprint with many small interconnected apps. Be sure to know what you need when shopping around.

it_user2979 - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Engineer at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
AppNeta's PathView Cloud provides agent-less end-to-end network monitoring.

Valuable Features:

Agentless, real-time monitoring of networks and applications. Identify hop-by-hop network performance. Monitor end-to-end performance through service-provider MPLS clouds or on private networks. Hosted service with minimal configuration required.

Room for Improvement:

Uses "micro-appliances" which must be installed onto the network. Does not perform traditional SNMP/CLI/NetFlow/WMI etc monitoring.

Other Advice:

AppNeta provides a range of products, all based around intelligent network testing algorithms. PathView cloud is their hosted service, relying on miniature plug and play network devices which phone home to the cloud service. The "micro-appliances" are actually network sequencers which generate network traffic, then record and process the results. The general idea is to target an end-device (server, router, etc), with the intent of measuring the path between the micro-appliance and the end-device. The application is designed to monitor network paths, not necessarily devices so won't replace your NMS. But, it does a surprisingly good job of detecting network capacity, as well as potential problems with a path.
it_user5514 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user5514Architect with 51-200 employees

You need to look again at your assessment of 'cons' as it is not accurate. From cliff.chapman@linkstatus.co.uk

Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about SolarWinds, Dynatrace, New Relic, and more!
Updated: September 2022