SentinelOne OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SentinelOne is the #3 ranked solution in endpoint security software and EDR tools. PeerSpot users give SentinelOne an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. SentinelOne is most commonly compared to CrowdStrike Falcon: SentinelOne vs CrowdStrike Falcon. SentinelOne is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 47% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
SentinelOne Buyer's Guide

Download the SentinelOne Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is SentinelOne?

SentinelOne is a leading comprehensive enterprise-level autonomous security solution that is very popular in today’s marketplace. SentinelOne will ensure that today’s aggressive dynamic enterprises are able to defend themselves more rapidly, at any scale, and with improved precision, by providing comprehensive, thorough security across the entire organizational threat surface.

SentinelOne makes keeping your infrastructure safe and secure easy and affordable. They offer several tiered levels of security and varied payment options. SentinelOne works well with Linux, Windows, and MacOS, and can successfully support legacy infrastructures as well as the newer popular environments, including the latest operating systems. The single pane of glass management will save time and money by reducing manpower and ensuring comprehensive security protection of all your endpoints locally and worldwide.

SentinelOne offers intensive training and support to meet every organization’s unique business needs.

SentinelOne's levels of services and support include, but are not limited to:

SentinelOne GO is a guided 90-day onboarding service to ensure successful deployment and success. It assists with the deployment planning and overview, initial user setup, and product overviews. It provides ongoing training and advisory meetings, ensuring that everything is set up correctly and that your team understands the appropriate protocols to ensure success.

SentinelOne offers multi-tiered support based on your organizational needs from small business to enterprise, using their Designed Technical Account Management (TAM). They have support for every business level: Standard, Enterprise, and Enterprise Pro. SentinelOne is always available to ensure that you and your organization work together to minimize the risk of downtime and any threat exposure.

Threat Hunting & Response Services

Support for threat hunting and response include Watch Tower, Watch Tower Pro, Vigilance Respond, and Vigilance Respond Pro. Each of these services builds on the other, progressively adding features based on your organizational needs.

Watch Tower: This is the entry-level plan and includes: Active campaign hunting and cyber crime alerts and course correction for potential threats, access to the Monthly Hunting & Intelligence Digest.

Watch Tower Pro: Includes everything in WatchTower and customized threat hunting for all current & historical threats, unlimited access to Signal Hunting Library of Pre-Built Queries, Incident-Based Triage and Hunting, continuous customer service, followup and reporting, a Security Assessment, and quarterly Cadence meetings.

Vigilance Respond: Includes all of the features of Watch Tower in addition to a security assessment and Cadence meetings, which are on-demand. Provides the features of Watch Tower Pro in addition to 24x7x365 monitoring, triage, and response.

Vigilance Respond Pro: Includes all of the features of the above options, including a security assessment and quarterly cadence meeting as well as a complete digital forensic investigation and malware analysis.

Reviews from Real Users

Jeff D. who is an Operations Manager at Proton Dealership IT, tells us that "The detection rate for Sentinel One has been excellent and we have been able to resolve many potential threats with zero client impact. The ability to deploy via our RMM allows us to quickly secure new clients and provides peace of mind."

"The most valuable feature varies from client to client but having absolute clarity of what happened and the autonomous actions of SentinelOne are what most people find the most assuring." relates Rae J., Director IR and MDR at a tech services company.

SentinelOne was previously known as Sentinel Labs.

SentinelOne Customers

Havas, Flex, Estee Lauder, McKesson, Norfolk Southern, JetBlue, Norwegian airlines, TGI Friday, AVX, Fim Bank

SentinelOne Video

Archived SentinelOne Reviews (more than two years old)

Enterprise Security Architect at a recruiting/HR firm with 10,001+ employees
Single pane of glass allows us to run a lean team while protecting tens of thousands of endpoints around the world
  • "SentinelOne also provides equal protection across Windows, Linux, and macOS. I have all of them and every flavor of them you could possibly imagine. They've done a great job because I still have a lot of legacy infrastructure to support. It can support legacy environments as well as newer environments, including all the latest OS's... There are cost savings not only on licensing but because I don't have to have different people managing different consoles."
  • "If it had a little bit more granularity in the roles and responsibilities matrix, that would help. There are users that have different components, but I'd be much happier if I could cherry-pick what functions I want to give to which users. That would be a huge benefit."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for endpoint protection. It's an active EDR endpoint protection tool. Think of it as an antivirus and endpoint protection solution with machine learning, like McAfee on steroids.

In our company it is deployed in 83 countries and on over 40,000 workstations and servers.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides incredible visibility in a single pane of glass. The dashboard gives me visibility over all the endpoints, which are broken down by country, and then broken down within each country by brand and machine type. It provides a very simple way for me to understand if

• we're being targeted globally
  • my endpoints are actively being attacked
  • we have outstanding issues in any one region
  • we have malicious activity.

In addition, it logs to my SIEM tool, cloud-natively, which makes it a very effective weapon to help diagnose and remediate any potential bad actors in my environment.

The Behavioral AI feature for ransomware and anti-malware protection does an outstanding job of identifying abnormal behavior patterns in my environment. Once we allowed it to sit in learning mode for about 30 days, we switched all our endpoints into what is called Protect mode, instead of Detect mode. With Protect mode, we have different functions available to us, such as kill, quarantine, identify, and rollback. Using those features, we are really able to protect our endpoints much better. We take advantage of the fact that we have a machine, or an automated process, governing our endpoint protection. That reduces the total headcount needed to babysit my environment.

Furthermore, Behavioral AI recognizes novel and fileless attacks and responds in real-time. It improves my security, reduces my total cost of ownership and management, and provides enhanced protection for what is now a highly mobile population. Due to COVID-19, we have had to take most of our workforce, and that's over 40,000 people around the world, and give them access to work remotely through a series of different mechanisms. In doing so, we felt much more comfortable because we have this endpoint protection tool deployed. It provides us not only the visibility into what the tool is doing and how it's protecting us, but it allows us to look at what applications are installed, what IP range is coming on, and what network it's sourced from.

And with Ranger we're able to help identify additional networks. Using SentinelOne with Ranger, allowed us to take a look at some of our smaller offices in Asia Pacific where we didn't have exceptional visibility.

We also use the solution’s automatic remediation and rollback in Protect mode, without human intervention. I want to protect mode for both malicious and suspicious, and that is in Protect mode. Having turned that on, we saw no negative impact, across the board, which has been an outstanding feature for us. It does save time on having to go in and identify things, because we allowed it to run in learning mode for so long. It learned our business processes. It learned what's normal. It learned file types. It learned everything that we do enough that, when I did turn that feature on, there were no helpdesk calls, no madness ensued, no people complaining that files were being removed that they needed. It worked out very well for us.

We also use the solution’s ActiveEDR technology. Its automatic monitoring of every OS process, at all times, improves our security operations greatly. There is a learning time involved. It has to learn what processes are normal. But the fact that it's actively engaged with every process—every file that moves across it, every DLL that's launched, whether or not it's automated or process-driven—everything is viewed, inspected, and categorized. And it allows us to have enhanced visibility that ties directly into the Deep Visibility. I can look at and help identify behavior patterns.

For example, yesterday I wrote a series of queries for Deep Visibility that are based on MITRE ATT&CK parameters. Those give me reports, on a daily basis, of how effective this tool really is because I can use MITRE ATT&CK engine parameters to help define what's going on. Even if something is not considered malicious behavior by the tool itself, if I take that information and couple it with information I can pull from Tanium and information I pull from other tool sets, and aggregate that into my SIEM tool, my use case is provided. I get more positive and actionable intelligence on how my endpoints are behaving. If I have somebody out there who is doing testing of software, I can pick that out of a crowd in a second.

We have application control and containers available. Since we have AWS, Azure, and a myriad of cloud platforms, it's been hugely beneficial to us. Considering that we are endeavoring, as an organization, to move into cloud-based solutions, this has been a huge benefit.

Overall, SentinelOne has absolutely reduced incident response time. It's instantaneous. It has reduced it by at least 95 percent.

I use the tool to help me determine how well my other tools are working. For example, we have a role called a RISO, a regional information security officer. Those people are responsible for regions of the globe, whether it be Latin America, Asia Pacific, or AMEA. The RISOs now use the tool because it can help them identify other tools we have rolled out, like Zscaler. They can go into the SentinelOne console and query for Zscaler and look at all the machines in their environment and determine what the delta is. It allows people with different levels of knowledge and different roles in an organization to have visibility. It's been outstanding. That, in and of itself, makes it a better tool than its counterparts and it makes it usable for non-technical and non-security people.

We get the long-term strategic benefits of having enhanced visibility and the more short-term tactical benefits of knowing that our endpoints are protected, the visibility is there, and that no matter what lands on top of it, it's going to get taken care of.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the solution is its ability to learn, the fact that once you tune it correctly, it knows how to capture and defeat malicious activity on the endpoints. It's not set-it-and-forget-it, but it does give me a much more comfortable feeling that my endpoints are secure and protected from malicious behavior.

SentinelOne also provides equal protection across Windows, Linux, and macOS. I have all of them and every flavor of them you could possibly imagine. They've done a great job because I still have a lot of legacy infrastructure to support. It can support legacy environments as well as newer environments, including all the latest OS's. The latest Mac OS X that's coming out is already supported and in test for our organization. The complete coverage of every OS that we have in our environment has been a huge benefit because I don't have to have different tools to support them. There are cost savings not only on licensing but because I don't have to have different people managing different consoles. For me, having single pane of glass visibility is incredibly important because we run a very lean team here. We are a skeleton crew governing all 83 countries. In doing so, it provides us the ability to do a lot more with a lot less.

I use the Deep Visibility feature every single day. It is outstanding because I just create hunting cases and then I can load them. I can figure out what queries I want to run and I can go digging. And with the queries that I have built for the MITRE ATT&CKs, it makes it very simple to identify something. And now that I have reporting set up based on those queries, I get emails every day.

Using Deep Visibility I have identified a threat and figured out information about it. I've also used Deep Visibility to be proactive versus reactive as far as my alerting goes. I know that SentinelOne will protect my endpoints, but there's also a case where there isn't specific malicious behavior but the patterns look malicious. And that's really what I'm writing these queries for in Deep Visibility.

Here's an example. You can do a lateral movement in an organization. You can RDP to one server and RDP to another server, depending on how your software defined perimeter is configured. Unless you do something malicious, SentinelOne will look at it, but it won't necessarily stop it, because there is no malicious activity. But I can write a query in Deep Visibility to show me things. Let's say somebody breached my secure remote access solution. With the Deep Visibility queries that are being run, I can see that that one machine may have RDPed to a server and RDPed to another server and been jumping around because they may have gotten compromised credentials. That can be reported on. It might not have been malicious behavior, but it's an activity that the reporting from Deep Visibility allows me to pursue and then do a deeper dive into it.

What needs improvement?

If they would stop changing the dashboard so much I'd be a happy man.

Also, if it had a little bit more granularity in the roles and responsibilities matrix, that would help. There are users that have different components, but I'd be much happier if I could cherry-pick what functions I want to give to which users. That would be a huge benefit.

The nice thing about SentinelOne is that I get to directly engage with their leadership at any time I want. That allows me to provide feedback such as, "I would like this function," and they've built a lot of functions for me as a result of my requests. I don't really have much in the way of complaints because if I want something, I generally tend to get it.

SentinelOne
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about SentinelOne. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using SentinelOne for about 14 months now.

It's incredibly stable. We really haven't had any significant issues. There have been a couple of things here and there where certain versions of the product weren't disabling Windows Defender effectively. I think that was predicated on a GPO that we identified that had been accidentally linked and that kept turning Defender back on again. The issues were very trivial things.

I talk to my TAM once a week, minimum. I think I have the best customer support in the business.

I had an issue that I raised a couple of weeks ago and within minutes I had an army of engineers working on it. By the end of the week, I had senior management calling me asking me what else I want, what else I need, and how else they could help me.

They go all-in. I have never had to wonder or concern myself with whether I will be getting adequate support? Will the support be on time? Will the support be effective and accurate? Not once, not ever.

I have such a close relationship with the team, not only the team that sold it to me but the team that supports me. We call each other on a first-name basis and we talk about how we're doing. It's that kind professional relationship. That's how good it is.

Before, we had a mix of dozens of different solutions across the enterprise. We didn't have any one, ubiquitous solution. We had a mix of McAfee and Panda and Kaspersky. You name it, we owned a copy of it, and that didn't provide a unified field of view. It also didn't provide the best protection that money can buy and, in my opinion as a professional in this industry for 25 years, this is the best protection money can buy.

The initial setup of SentinelOne was very simple. I packaged the executables into MSIs, including the token ID, I created a package in Tanium, and I dropped it on all the workstations. I was able to deploy it to over 40,000 endpoints in 35 days.

When you govern as much real estate as I do, meaning the number of endpoints and the number of different business units that those endpoints comprise, there had to be a deployment strategy for it. I broke it down into countries, and in each of those countries I broke into brands and I broke it into asset types, whether they be servers or workstations, whether they're mobile or localized. It's not difficult to push out there, as long as you create exclusions. I used my legacy tools in parallel with this for a month and still never faced any issues.

For any organization, if you have any kind of deployment mechanism in place, you could put your entire workforce on this and it wouldn't matter how many endpoints. If they're online and available and you have a deployment solution, you could do it in a month, easily, if not less. I could've done it much faster, but I needed to do a pilot country first. I did all the testing and validations and then, once we went into production mode, it was very fast.

I got a really good deal so I'm very happy with the pricing.

I looked at everything. I looked at CrowdStrike, Cylance, Carbon Black, and I had McAfee as the largest of the incumbents. I tested them all and I validated them all and I pushed every malware virus—everything in my collection—at them. I built a series of VMs to test and validate the platform. I tested against multiple operating systems. I tested against downloads, I tested against uploads. I tested visibility. I did this entire series of tests and listed out 34 or 35 different criteria. And at the end of the day, SentinelOne came out on top.

One of the huge benefits of SentinelOne is the Full Remote Shell. That has been an incredibly useful tool for me.

Cylance came in second. It has very similar functionalities, very similar builds, but not a full remote shell. It had the single pane of glass dashboard, but the visibility I get out of SentinelOne, as well as the protection and the capability to run the Full Remote Shell pushed it over the top.

Carbon Black was nice, but I had to run two different dashboards, one cloud and one local. I couldn't get single pane of glass visibility from that.

When I tested SentinelOne against all the engines, they all pretty much found everything. Mimikatz was the deciding factor. A couple of the solutions flagged it but didn't remediate it. SentinelOne just rolled everything back as it started to discover it. It actually pulled the installer out, so that was nice.

A lot of new technologies that are out there are very similar. They are pulling from public threat feeds and other learning engines. But if you compare and contrast all the features available, SentinelOne is just going to edge everybody else out. And they're constantly evolving the product to make it more efficient and to have a smaller footprint too. When they came out with Ranger, we were still doing some network discoveries around our environment to try to figure out exactly what was still out there. That came to be a very useful tool.

It really just shines. If you compare it to everybody else there are a lot that come close, but nobody else can really quite get to the top. SentinelOne really gives you the best overall picture.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework. I would encourage everybody, if you have the capabilities, to do what I did and test it against everything out there. If you don't have those capabilities and you want to save yourself a lot of time, just go straight to SentinelOne. I cannot imagine any organization regretting that decision. With the news stories you read about, such as hospitals under attack from malware and crypto viruses—with all the bad actors that exist, especially since the pandemic took over—if you want to protect your environment and sleep soundly at night, and if you're in the security industry, I highly encourage you to deploy SentinelOne and just watch what it's capable of.

I don't use the Storyline technology that much simply because I'm really turning this into a more automated process for my organization. An example of where we may use Storyline is when we download an encrypted malicious file. Let's say that email was sent to 500 people. If it gets through our email gateway, which is unlikely, I can not only identify those users quickly, but I can also use the Storyline to determine where it came from, how it got there, and what it was doing along the way. And while it killed it, it will tell me what processes were there. It helps us create and identify things like the hash, which we then summarily blacklist. Overall, Storyline is better for identifying what had happened along the way, but after the fact. For me, the fact that it has actually taken care of it without me having to go hunt it down all the time is the real benefit.

The only thing we don't take advantage of is their management service. We do have a TAM, but we don't have Vigilance.

For top-down administration, there's only about six of us who work with the solution. For country level administration, we have one or two in every country in those 83 countries.

We run a myriad of different front office and back office environments. SentinelOne had to learn different environments in different countries. It had to understand the business processes that are surrounding those. We did a substantial amount of tuning along the way, during the deployment. And then, of course, there are agent updates and there are considerations when you get a new EA version and are creating test groups. But, as an organization, we have reduced our total cost of ownership for our EPP platform, we have improved our visibility a hundred-fold, and we have maintained our data integrity. It really is the one end-all and be-all solution that we needed.

It's a home run. I've been doing this a long time and I've done this in over 48 countries around the world. Given what we do with this product and the visibility it has given us and the protection it has given us, I feel very comfortable with my security right now.

Rick Bosworth S1 - PeerSpot reviewer
Rick Bosworth S1Director, Product Marketing at SentinelOne

I'm delighted to report that we have now released Fully Customizable RBAC Roles.  Thanks again for your feedback!

Security Expert at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Very powerful solution that highlights threats immediately
  • "The solution is powerful because we just have to update the agent by using the console, which is simple to do. I just select the endpoints and click "Update" on the console. That is it, because it is very easy to use."
  • "I would like to improve the reports because they are not so customizable and we would like more info from them."

What is our primary use case?

We have the Core version for almost all our endpoints. We will be installing it completely for the US, who wants more products, and India, because we have experienced that India is more exposed to threats.

We are currently updating our agents from 4.0.5 to 4.2.

How has it helped my organization?

Every day, we check threats that come from outside.

What is most valuable?

The solution is powerful because we just have to update the agent by using the console, which is simple to do. I just select the endpoints and click "Update" on the console. That is it, because it is very easy to use.

Regarding threats, it is very powerful. It highlights them immediately on the console, then you can decide if it's a false positive or an actually real threat.

SentinelOne's distributed intelligence at the endpoint is very powerful and works well.

What needs improvement?

I cannot download all the hosts that we have on our tenant, because there is limit of 10,000. I have asked our provider to work with SentinelOne to fix this. For example, my complaint is that if I want to download an Excel file or CSV, I have a limit of 10,000 rows. However, in our tenant environment, we can download more than 16,000 rows.

We started deploying it in 2018.

It has been a stable product.

The process is completely automatic when an endpoint connects to the console. At that point, the agent will be updated. However, when we install a new machine, we have to install it manually, even the agent.

We have never had an issue with scalability.

We have 15,447 endpoints in total with the Core version. 99.99 percent of the endpoint usage is Windows. We also use it with a few Macs and Linux. It is really powerful from this point of view.

Our SOC has logged some tickets with the technical support. They have never complained about SentinelOne's support.

Previously, we had the McAfee, which was complicated to managed.

We heard about this SentinelOne and its new antivirus, so we contacted our consultant who organized a PoC. After the PoC, we decided to migrate the solution.

I have been satisfied with the new antivirus.

For deploying, it takes a long time. Our process was first to install SentinelOne with McAfee, having two antiviruses in the same host. Then, we started to uninstall McAfee. That process took about six to nine months because we had a lot of endpoints to deploy.

The antivirus migration was normal. The only thing that was tricky was the removal of the McAfee tool because sometimes it worked incorrectly and didn't uninstall the antivirus.

The installation was done by our SOC and me. Our SOC is comprised of five to six people. The SOC personnel are the same people who currently maintain the solution.

I think the solution has reduced our incident response time and mean time to repair.

SentinelOne is easier to use than McAfee was. With the SentinelOne console, you have everything you need, like the dashboard and configuration, which makes it easier to manage than McAfee. However, I have more experience with McAfee.

What other advice do I have?

We have a SOC managing our environment. They are very happy with features that SentinelOne provides.

We will be upgrading to complete version next year, including Deep Visibility. This includes 2,000 endpoints for the USA and India. However, we currently haven't enabled this feature.

We have never needed the solution’s one-click, automatic remediation and rollback for restoring an endpoint, but the feature is very powerful.

Biggest lesson learnt from using SentinelOne: Never trust anyone.

I would rate this solution as a 10 out of 10.

Rick Bosworth - PeerSpot reviewer
Rick BosworthDirector, Product Marketing at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees

Thank you, Claudio, for your kind words and for trusting SentinelOne with your endpoint security.

SentinelOne
November 2022
653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Network and Security Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to manage and install; gives time back to our team
  • "It is easy to manage and install. It has a very nice graphical interface that is very intuitive when end users are using it. You don't have to follow or read a book about 600 pages to have knowledge on how to use it. When SentinelOne is up and running, you can easily find your way."
  • "We are now using an external monitoring tool to monitor the services of SentinelOne, because apparently they don't have any solution for that. When the SentinelOne agent is down, you can go to the interface and see a mark on SentinelOne that something is not correct or the server needs to be rebooted, but you will not get an alert. You will not be warned that there is an issue with the SentinelOne agent. I have found that a little bit disturbing, because then we need to use a third-party monitoring tool to make sure that all services of SentinelOne are up and running."

What is our primary use case?

SentinelOne monitors our infrastructure 24/7.

How has it helped my organization?

We are a very small team. Recently, we had to add an extra person; we had two guys, but now there are three. We have about 2000 endpoints and servers, which is a lot if you have to do it on your own. The SOC monitoring that we now have from SentinelOne gives us more time to focus on other important stuff and go to bed without any worries, since SentinelOne is watching over us.

They also guarantee an insurance. For example, if your company has been infected by ransomware, then they provided one million dollars or something as an assurance. For us, if SentinelOne has the balls to say, "Okay, if endpoints are infected, we will give you $2,000 per endpoint that is infected." That's a way for them to convey that we can trust their company.

What is most valuable?

They do updates all the time. It's very nice to see how they constantly evolve. New features are being added each time that I take a look at the interface, which is really nice. It's not something you have to do for yourself all the time. You just go to the interface of the management portal, and you will see each time a new feature has been deployed. For example, when we started with SentinelOne, we had some applications that needed to be whitelisted, where we had to go through a whole bunch of licensing rules provided by the distributor. Now, we have the possibility to select from a catalog which rules we want to whitelist, since we are using that application. It is such an easy step for us, which is nice. It makes our life comfortable when managing all our endpoints and very complex infrastructure.

The Behavioral AI recognizes novel and fileless attacks and responds in real-time. The nice thing about SentinelOne is that it is behavior-based, so the AI is smart enough to detect when something is moving. For example, an external person was doing some administrative tasks for us, and he used a tool that is also used by attackers. He called me, and says, "I'm blocked. I think SentinelOne is seeing my tool as a virus or malware." Then, I looked at SentinelOne, and it says this guy is using hacker tools. That is what I found very nice. SentinelOne can immediately identify the tools used by hackers. In this case, it was immediately blocked, even though it was not a malicious application, Trojan, or something like that. Because the solution knows hacker tools and behaviors, it says, "Okay, this cannot work on this environment. This will be blocked." That's something that I really like.

It is a good use as an EDR solution because it immediately reacts on stuff. It also quarantines endpoints.

What needs improvement?

We installed the agent a little more than a year ago.

One of the nicest things about SentinelOne is their support. I never met a company which gives such fast, great support. It's extremely fast. When I create a case with some questions, they answer immediately. They provide us with information on how to do stuff, and if we have issues, then they give us an update immediately. Normally, when I open a case with other products it takes days, but with SentinelOne, I get a response in about half an hour. Most of the time, it's cleared in about two hours time.

If we have a remaining question that has nothing to do with the things that the case was created for, SentinelOne will still answer. Some companies need you to create a new case for this, but SentinelOne just says, "Okay, we will help you also with this and provide you with more info," which is magnificent.

The support is very handy because, when you have an issue, it's like working with an extra colleague. If you ask a question to recall it, SentinelOne support can solve it in about two hours, which is nice because then you can go to the next thing. You don't have to focus anymore on the problem. With other vendors, it takes some days to solve it, then it hangs.

Our previous antivirus server was on-premise. When we did the updates, then all the clients needed to be connected to that on-premise server. However, with COVID-19 happening, we have been very happy that SentinelOne is in the cloud because even when an endpoint leaves the company, they are still protected by SentinelOne and receiving updates. SentinelOne gives more time back to a small team as well as always being accessible, even if you're not at the company.

The initial setup was easy. We did it step-by-step, so we didn't deploy it to all our endpoints in one shot. We deployed 300 or 400 endpoints per week. This was in case there were any issues, then we could act immediately so we wouldn't have an impact on the whole business. However, we didn't experience any issues. We were up and running in about three or four days and had migrated 2000 clients to SentinelOne.

For our implementation strategy, we deployed one day, then another day we would watch. Then, we deployed another day and would watch the next. So, in about two weeks, we were up and running. We decided to do it that way because we have had issues with mass rollouts in the past. Now, we are very careful when rolling out stuff to the whole company. Perhaps, it might have not been a problem to roll it out in one day, but we did it very slowly to have a kind of a control outcome.

The solution gives us more time. We can divide our productivity and time to other products. We don't have to look at SentinelOne a lot.

The pricing level for this service and application was very interesting for us. I don't know exactly what the price was, but apparently it was a big surprise that the SOC was also included in our pricing model.

The Deep Visibility feature practically double the price. Because we have a SOC, we rely on them to have insights about all the threats, so we are not monitoring our environment ourselves. It is mostly done by the SentinelOne SOC. That is the reason why we decided not to go for this feature.

We believe the traditional antivirus protection that is using signature-based validation is outdated. We had a look at different solutions, like CrowdStrike and SentinelOne. These solutions are more AI-based that go on behavior. When we spoke to SentinelOne, they also offered a SOC as service. This means that SentinelOne is monitoring all our endpoints with us, and we don't have to do anything, because they do all the hard work. They validate the detections. So, if SentinelOne detects something on the endpoint, the SOC of SentinelOne will validate and see if it is a false positive or true positive. In case of a true positive, it will then see if there are extra steps needed. If that is the case, then SentinelOne contacts us through email asking us to do some final steps or provide them with the info.

SentinelOne was lucky because we first looked at CrowdStrike. However, they were pushing us all the time to get the deal. My manager got furious, and said, "Okay, let's stop everything. We told you we cannot decide before the end of October. That's our company rule." The pressure was too high from CrowdStrike. Therefore, we decided to have another look at SentinelOne. The first time when we saw SentinelOne, it was never mentioned in any Magic Quadrant, so it was hard for us to have a view on what the public experience was with SentinelOne. We were a little bit scared in just believing the vendor and their marketing people that it was a great, innovative product which uses smart technology and behavioral-based analysis.

SentinelOne will not scan my hard disk. SentinelOne does not care about the hard disk. It only reacts when you execute something. So, I know when I connect my hard disk to my desktop with my tools on it, I don't have to be scared. SentinelOne will not respond, as long as I don't use the tools. A lot of other antivirus vendors, they will immediately start scanning the USB drive or external drive, and they quarantine all the tools. I don't like that. I know it seems a bit strange that it doesn't scan the USB drive. However, I don't care, as long as it protects the USB drive as soon as someone is executing or installing something. This is more convenient for me than something that scans all the time.

What other advice do I have?

We have a partially view of the Storyline technology because we don't have the full license of SentinelOne. The Storyline technology's ability to auto-correlate attack events and map them to MITRE ATT&CK tactics and techniques is very clear and nicely presented. They make it very clear on what phase it is in the attack. If it's a lateral movement, they make it very easy. I'm very happy with that.

I would rate this solution as a 10 out of 10.

Rick Bosworth - PeerSpot reviewer

Thank you, Stephen, for the thoughtful and thorough review.  We are always glad to hear how customers are using SentinelOne.

Network Support at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Made a tremendous difference in our ability to protect our endpoints and servers
  • "The best thing SentinelOne has done for us is that it gives us insight into the endpoints. We never had insight into lateral movement threats before. Once a threat known as Qbot gets on the network, it actually spreads throughout sub-networks quickly. SentinelOne has detected that and saved our bacon. We were able to get in there and stop the threat, lock it down, and prevent it from actually spreading through. It would have been 50 or 60 computers. It had spread through in a few minutes. We have a lot of HIPAA data and FERPA data that we need to keep protected."
  • "They have tiers of support like most companies do. For the first three years, we had the top tier of their support and we would get a response from a technician quickly. We didn't have many things we had to ask of them. They would be very quick. We are now one tier down from that. The SLA for us is no longer within an hour or two. It's within half a day or something like that. As far as if I do ask a question of them, it is a little slower than what it used to be. I understand that we're at a lesser tier, but sometimes it feels like that could be a little better. I have to preface that by specifying that we're no longer paying for their top tier support."

What is our primary use case?

SentinelOne performs primary functions for our endpoint antivirus and anti-malware solutions. It's a centralized managed version of an antivirus product that gives real-time information on any kind of threat we might receive. It's very broad. It not only protects through signature defense, which is like what most common antivirus products do, but it also does behavioral which has been absolutely lifesaving here a couple of times.

It has saved our bacon more than once by detecting threats. It even detects zero-day threats because it detects them through their behavior. It doesn't need a signature. It actually keeps me busy with this and the insight into the agents that are installed. Our level of protection around here has never been this high.

By comparison, we're also running Windows Defender, which comes with Windows 10 operating systems. We collect that data through our SCCM and SentinelOne finds threats that are at a rate of 25:1 to 30:1. It's not even close. SentinelOne has made a tremendous difference in our ability to protect our endpoints and servers.

How has it helped my organization?

SentinelOne gives us a lot more insight into the endpoint for the agents that are installed there. I can actually see applications. We can see precisely anything that needs to be patched, something that is dangerously out of date, or a security vulnerability. I can get insight into all of that.

It gathers the data for anything that is related to the security of an endpoint. It has very configurable policies. We can make the agent as locked down as possible. It can be very intolerant or you can actually make it to where it's relatively loose, in which it warns you about everything but doesn't lock everything down on everything, which is the way we run our environment.

At our university, there is a lot of end-user freedom that you cannot curtail like you could in a corporate environment because people doing research tend to go to a variety of websites that they really shouldn't go to. It keeps me very busy but SentinelOne has proven so far to allow us to stay ahead of the game as opposed to playing catch up.

The agent communicates through to the console incessantly. It has some intelligence on the agent, but most of the time it's literally getting its instructions from the console. That has been extremely effective and very useful. The effect on the end-user experience is practically non-existent which makes it head and shoulders above other antivirus and anti-malware platforms.

SentinelOne does not impede our ability to do our work. It doesn't start to show latency. It doesn't take up a lot of extra memory or a lot of extra cycles. How it's able to do what it does on the endpoint, as powerfully as it does, without affecting the end-user experience is beyond me. It's a stroke of brilliance in their programming. Very seldom in security products do you get the best of both worlds. Usually, you have to give up convenience for security. But in this case, they go hand-in-hand. It's very impressive.

We have used the one-click automatic remediation and rollback for restoring an endpoint quite a few times. Its ability to mitigate a threat, whether you're deciding just to kill it, quarantine it, rollback, or just remediate, which changes files back, is absolutely very easy, very intuitive, and very fast to get the job done. It's top-notch.

SentinelOne has dramatically reduced our mean time to repair. In many cases, if I have to remediate a threat, I can see the threat, confirm it is a true positive, and then I can send it to remediation. It takes roughly two minutes. Whereas, in prior times, we'd have to dispatch a technician to go out there. A lot of times, they could not remediate the threat because we didn't have the capabilities that this thing has. They'd have to fully re-image the machine, which is a two-hour deal to re-image the machine, copy the data back, and configure for the end-user. We took that job and took it from a two-hour job down to about two to three minutes. It's been a dramatic effect.

The automation SentinelOne offers has increased analyst's productivity. We have fewer people due to budget cuts which means we are wearing more hats. The efficiency of this particular product has enabled me to do that relatively seamlessly. It is a phenomenally efficient and useful product.

What is most valuable?

There is a feature that allows for deep visibility, which is interesting. You can actually research files. It also does threat hunting. It goes out and finds vulnerabilities before you actually have to deal with the vulnerability. But that is at an additional cost. It's something you get if you buy additional structure.

The best thing SentinelOne has done for us is that it gives us insight into the endpoints. We never had insight into lateral movement threats before. Once a threat known as Qbot gets on the network, it actually spreads throughout sub-networks quickly. SentinelOne has detected that and saved our bacon. We were able to get in there and stop the threat, lock it down, and prevent it from actually spreading through. It would have been 50 or 60 computers. It had spread through in a few minutes. We have a lot of HIPAA data and FERPA data that we need to keep protected.

In a situation where we had a Qbot that was caught by SentinelOne, it literally saved the university millions of dollars worth of privacy protection we would have to pay for. SentinelOne has made a big difference.

We use the storyline technology's ability to auto-correlate attack events and map them to MITRE ATT&CK tactics and techniques. When we get a warning, it comes up as a very nice dashboard-type screen we can go to. It gives a lot of information on the threat right away, including going to the storyline. You can actually trace it back to the actual file. You can see where the compromise happened, the exact steps that happened, and what happened from thereon.

It's almost like a giant flow chart. It shows you where everything's going, what affected what, what was changed, what was modified, and it also gives you the opportunity at that time to actually do a rollback which allows you to roll back all of those things that were affected and changed at that particular point in time by the threat.

The storyline automatically assembles a PID tree. I use it more for my own purposes just to see where things came from and the damage they'd done. But we don't actually make a lot of use of a lot of higher functions like that. When there's a problem, we're able to rectify the issue and get the end-user up and running again. We don't have the personnel we had before, which gives us the additional cycles to actually research a lot of these things and go through them and focus on that. We don't make a lot of use of this particular functionality.

The way SentinelOne displays the threat has been the greatest effect on our incident response. It tells you exactly what the threat is, where the threat originated, allows you to look it up quickly in places like VirusTotal and Recorded Future which are malware information sites. You can link the hash of the file directly to the sync without having to do a lot of copy and pasting. It actually knocks some time off of the research of a problem when you do that. It allows me to quickly determine whether the threat is true, or if it's a false positive. It's a pretty strict engine.

If something is relatively programmed sloppy, a lot of times it assumes that that is a threat and it will flag it as suspicious. It can be a little overzealous when it comes to that. In this industry, you'd rather have that than something being too lax. You can configure it so that even if it does see something that it doesn't like, it doesn't stop it automatically. It just alerts you. It doesn't hamper the end-user if you don't want it to do that. But it puts the onus on the administrator, in this case, me, to verify the threat and deal with the threat quickly, or mark it as a false positive. Then, when you do mark something as a false positive or as a threat, it has a backend database.

The machine learning is very impressive. Once I actually start to configure the machine learning, my day-to-day administration of it, roughly four hours, shrinks down to three hours, then two hours and an hour and a half, because the amount of machine learning involved saves us all that time. That's been its biggest improvement for me. It allows me to be very efficient with my time. It learns our environment, actually stops threats before they get there, and ignores the false positives without having to come up and bother you every time, then ask for input for it.

SentinelOne has dramatically decreased my incident response time.

We've used the deep visibility feature a few times. We don't make a lot of use out of it. We were using the deep visibility feature to search through our entire environment. There was a particular piece of software that was being flagged as not being used in its appropriate manner. It was being used as an enterprise service and it really wasn't. We were able to use the agents on SentinelOne and use its deep visibility to find the particular program and obtain its hash from there. Then, we were able to use the SentinelOne agent to extract this particular program on there, so we were no longer operating something out of license. That's what we've used deep visibility for.

Deep visibility is very useful. If I had to simplify it, I would say if you know the threat you're looking for, it's fantastic.

Using the deep visibility, we did not find threats that were lingering on our endpoints, because the SentinelOne agent had dealt with them. We used it for a purpose that it probably was not intended for, which was actually finding specific software that was not supposed to be installed in our environment.

SentinelOne provides equal protection across Windows, Linux, and Mac OS. This particular product has worked so well that we mandated it across all workstations and all servers in our environment. It is our primary endpoint defense across all three of those operating system platforms. It has proven to be equally effective amongst all three. It did such a good job that it is our frontline.

I find their version naming conventions interesting in the fact that it's not just a number so it does help to recall some things when it comes to what version you are on. Anytime I open a support ticket, they always ask me what version of the console I'm on. I always have to look that up. I never remember that because this particular Liberty version has changed four or five times over the last month and a half.

What needs improvement?

They have tiers of support like most companies do. For the first three years, we had the top tier of their support and we would get a response from a technician quickly. We didn't have many things we had to ask of them. They would be very quick. We are now one tier down from that. The SLA for us is no longer within an hour or two. It's within half a day or something like that. As far as if I do ask a question of them, it is a little slower than what it used to be. I understand that we're at a lesser tier, but sometimes it feels like that could be a little better. I have to preface that by specifying that we're no longer paying for their top tier support.

They changed the UI a little bit which is to be expected but there are times where I actually preferred the older UI. The newer UI, once I got used to it, was fine. But before, when we would launch into the UI, it went straight to the bread and butter. In this case, it goes to a dashboard, which gives some statistics on the attack surface, endpoint connection status, and stuff, which looks nice. It's a lot of nice bar graphs. It's a lot of nice pie charts. But that's not what I really need. I had to configure it to get it somewhat back to what it was. I wanted to know immediately if there any threats that are incoming. I actually had to add that. I think the new dashboard has a lot of bells and whistles but I don't need it. We used to have to dig in to get this kind of stuff and that's exactly what I prefer it to be. The dashboard, in my particular case, has to tell me where the threat is, how severe the threat is, and let me remediate it as quickly as possible. I don't want to fish through pie charts to find that.

I think they put this new dashboard in two versions ago. In their defense, it's a fully customizable dashboard. I was able to put back what I wanted. It seemed like that should be a default, not something I have to add later.

I have been working with SentinelOne since 2017.

My primary function is endpoint security and administration of SentinelOne and the other applications that go with that particular function.

The baseline, the agents, the console, and its primary functions are always steady. Those have never been compromised by any of their patching or updating. That has been really good. In our case, we still have some Windows 7 devices in our environment because they're older. They run a very specific piece of software that's not been upgraded, and by watching money, they don't want to upgrade certain pieces of software, specific labs, or things like that. They don't support their older clients past a certain date, which makes perfect sense. However, the agent doesn't just stop working. It still does its job. It loses some of its functionality, but it still does the primary job of protecting the endpoint. That's one thing I do like. Even if you do go out of date on something on an agent version because you're limited by the operating system, it doesn't just die. It still does its job.

We have a 100% adoption rate. We've used all of our licenses. But we are trying to get more licenses so that we can cover our labs and other places like that. We did not have the budget at the time to cover everything we wanted to cover.

We do have plans to increase usage. It's done a fantastic job. And so every time we can, we do add more licenses to it with the end goal of actually covering not only our faculty, staff, and workstations, but also all of our labs.

There are 1,823 users online right now out of 2,750. In addition to myself, there are three other individuals who have administrative privileges and there are other members of the security department in the event I'm not here or I'm on vacation, they can fill in that role. Our IT assistant manager has read access to it so he can see in there, access the API, and can actually incorporate SentinelOne data into ServiceNow. SentinelOne has a very robust API, so if you're into programming or integrating it into other systems, you can do that.

It has phenomenal scalability. It can be used as just a small business or it can operate on hundreds of thousands of devices in a single enterprise.

We don't lose any functionality by its scaling at all.

Support has been knowledgeable and well thought out. I don't feel like I'm getting a copy and paste. The technician interacts with me. The more data I can give them, the more they get back. I feel like someone's really putting time in to fix it, and they want to get the job done right the first time. I've never had to go back to them for the same problem.

Their sales rep and sales engineer usually assign two people to your case. One's your actual salesman and the other salesman is your technical salesman, the guy who answers the tech questions. They have been very involved. When it comes to deploying this, they help get the packages created and figure things out. They point you in the right direction. I can reach out to them directly. They have gotten back to me quickly and are very thorough. Their customer support from a salesperson to help desk individuals or whoever you're reaching out to remotely has been top-notch. They've always been professional. They have always been quick and they've always done the best job they possibly could for you. I can't say enough about them, they have been very impressive.

The previous tier is slower than what they are at now. With the service level agreement that we have, they need to get us an answer within around six hours but before they would answer within one hour. They've always been ahead of that curve, but it is a little noticeably slower than it was. That's because we're not paying them for that level of service. We can't really expect them to do anything more than that.

The previous solution we used was the Windows System Center Endpoint Protection, which is a part of the Microsoft Active Directory. It's a solution that's packaged with all the Windows products. It has a centralized means of communicating back when it detects an error. However, it was woefully inadequate. We had no idea how bad that was until we tried SentinelOne. We had no idea how teetering our environment was on the threats of viruses until we actually had the insight that we did through SentinelOne.

We switched because we knew the product. We knew what we were using. We were getting to the point where we knew that our current solution was inadequate. We started looking around. We looked at Red Hat, Cylance, and a couple of other ones. We looked at these vendors of these products to gain greater insight. We knew we had to spend the money to get what we needed to get. SentinelOne was brand new at the time and we decided to give them a shot. The Chief Information Security Officer had gone to a conference and was interested. SentinelOne came in, made their pitch, we went through some examples and some tests, and they let us do a proof of concept.

I was around a day and a half into the proof of concept and I was sold. It was an unbelievably effective product so we decided to go with it. Within a month of that, we had another level of agents out there. We were covering the bulk of the machines we needed to cover and we have not looked back since. It's been one of the few things that we have done here that we have never second-guessed.

When we looked at the solutions, Cylance had similar capabilities as far as having a behavioral engine and a static engine, but the difference was the usability of the interface. SentinelOne's interface is phenomenally well laid out, easy to do, and very efficient. The other products we looked at were nowhere near as efficient on the user interface side.

We didn't test them thoroughly enough to find out if there was something that got through on SentinelOne that didn't get through on the other solutions. I don't know how it does it this quickly, but in addition to its own engine and its own ability to check through behavior, it actually references VirusTotal. VirusTotal is a website of centralized virus information. Even if their engine were somehow not detected, it checks the threat against VirusTotal and if any other engine out there has detected that threat, it flags it. It actually uses the intelligence of the other anti-malware products. It does it quickly. I have no idea how it does it that quickly, but it's impressive.

We went with cloud-based instead of on-prem. Going cloud-based was pretty easy. The most difficult thing we had to do was deploy the agent. They don't have any means of deploying the agent. You have to use either your Shoe Leather Express, you have to go walk around and deploy it. And in our case, we use our active directory network, we used SCCM to push it out to departments in that manner.

One thing that would be nice is if they had a means of deploying their agent. For example, a long time ago, on a different network of a different company, they wanted some help, and I helped them install a Sophos antivirus solution. Sophos had a means of emailing. You can email people and they could click on a link, which would download and install the agent for them, which was nice. Now, we depend on the end-user to do their part of the job which is risky. But one thing about SentinelOne is that I can upgrade agents all day long, but I can't deploy an agent to a machine that doesn't have one on there. There's no means of doing that. I wouldn't expect them to have that in there necessarily, but I think it would be a fantastic ability if they could do that.

I actually like their agent. As a matter of fact, it's required. I don't see how they'd be able to pull it off otherwise to do what it does. My point is, if a computer did not have SentinelOne on it and they were to run into a problem, for example, if we had a device that's not on our active directory network and we wanted them to deploy SentinelOne on it, the only way for me to do that is literally to run the user down, find them, or find their device and install it manually. It would be really nice if there would be a means to deploy it to an endpoint.

We have 2,750 licenses, and I was able to deploy it to 2,750 devices quickly. If you have a deployment mechanism like using your domain or your network, you can actually just say, "Please put it on these devices." You can create an installer package and it talks back to the console and that's it. It's super easy.

Our deployment took close to six months, not because of SentinelOne but because of internal politics.

Because SentinelOne was a new product and anytime you install anything new here, it has to go through committees to install things, we targeted our most high valuable departments first, the ones with the protected data and also administrative offices, like the president of offices and HR. We tested it in our department first and once the rest of the university saw that our computers didn't go up in flames, they began to relax about it. Then, we went to our high priority departments, our Chief Information Security Officer got behind it 100% and pushed the issue, which allowed us to go full force on it after we got through the initial departments. We got it in there, we tested it in our environment, created the packages for it, and tested it in our department for a month. Over the next four months, I rolled it out to individual departments in groups.

We did the deployment ourselves. We only needed one guy to do all those things centrally, which was nice. I was the primary person responsible for the deployment. I would occasionally enlist some help with my coworkers, specifically when we were initially deploying it to go over and test it on some machines. Once we got past the initial deployment, it was just me.

In terms of maintenance, it is no more than a mouse click away. I can upgrade agents in batches, which I normally do, and they are very aggressive about creating new agent versions. The agent versions actually contained more capability. Right now the agents are extremely powerful. I can update every agent here at once, all I have to do is select them and deploy the agent to them. It's very easy.

SentinelOne has paid for itself more than once because of the threats it stops. It allows central management, the end-user does not have to interact with the antivirus at all. They will get a warning that says, "Hey, you went somewhere risky," but it's all centrally managed. We don't have to dispatch a technician to go out and try to clean something. I can literally clean it right here from the console. It actually has full rollback capability. If you have ransomware that goes and encrypts an entire hard drive, the way the SentinelOne works on a Windows machine is so that I can hit a rollback command and I can roll the thing back before the thing got there and actually defeat ransomware for that.

It's been night and day for what my job was previous to having this solution.

They were very good about finding a price that could work for us. I'm not the bean counter, so I don't know exactly what the end cost was, but I do know that we got them at a time of the most financial stress we had been under and they found a way to make it work for us. It was a three-year contract and everyone fully expected the price to take a significant jump because the capabilities of the solution had been significantly increased with no additional costs. We expected it to maybe even be priced out and they did not. It went up a slight bit, which you can expect, but they worked with us. We were one of the first companies to go with them here, in Ohio. They have a lot of respect for their loyal customers. They worked with us and allowed us to keep this high-level product and actually add more licenses to it without breaking our bank.

In terms of additional costs, they've added something called Ranger and another layer of deep visibility. The base console doesn't come with that. Ranger is threat hunting and we were able to use the Ranger and the visibility, which is the threat hunting and of course the deep visibility and more in-depth storyline. We were able to use that, but we hardly ever needed that for our environment and the way we use the product. Because of that, we did not opt to have those in our current console.

We do more threat response than hunting. We put the latest and greatest agent out there and it's backed by this particular product but we just simply don't have the personnel to do it like we used to. That's the one thing we're missing. If you were to add the deep visibility and the threat hunting capability onto it, it would be a little bit more. I don't think it's that much of a significant cost, but I don't know the end results of the prices. Because we didn't make use of those two functionalities, they just cut it out.

What other advice do I have?

I could not recommend SentinelOne highly enough. The one thing about this product is something I very seldom say when it comes to almost anything in life, sadly, is that I trust it. I trust this program to be well taken care of on the backend. I trust this program to do its job on the frontend. I trust the endpoint and network security of our university to this product. I have no doubt that we're in good hands. It has proven itself with ransomware, proven itself with Qbot infections, proven itself with a multitude of end-users.

We had a pen tester on campus that was actively trying to hack things, doing penetration testing, and SentinelOne stops him every time. Every time he got to the machine with SentinelOne on, it stopped him dead in his tracks. The pen tester said, "Your endpoint solution here is fantastic". This is a trained white-hat hacker trying to break through and he couldn't do it. We gave him a foothold, an account, and all kinds of stuff. We opened the door for him to see how far he could get. He was able to get in on machines that did not have this level of protection. He was able to get to devices, create administrative users, elevate privileges. You name it, he can do it. Once he got to a machine with SentinelOne on it, it stopped him.

They didn't tell me we were pen-testing. Suddenly I was seeing lateral movement and all kinds of things on the network and I ran this guy down just to find out we hired him to go do this. I thought we had a hacker on-premises.

I would recommend that anybody who uses this product also interacts with other people who have it. Another university was the first university that had it near us and then we got it. They were a big help to us, as far as answering questions about the deployment. They told us about a couple of little headaches to watch out for. It had nothing to do with SentinelOne, but how Microsoft servers operate. So we were able to save ourselves a lot of time by interfacing with the network of users of this particular program.

What I've learned with a product of this caliber is how efficient one person can be. I don't think you're going to find many places where you have primarily one person safeguarding the endpoint solution of an entire university. The good news is that because everything is the way it's set up, the way it's configured, and the machine intelligence that I've added over the last three years, if I'm not here and someone else steps in front of it, it can run itself in many ways. I've learned that if you find the right product, you can become incredibly efficient.

I'd give SentinelOne a ten out of ten. I'd give it higher than that if I could. I've actually done calls where they've called me and had me speak to the salesman, we had a really good working relationship. He had me call and speak to people who he's actually trying to sell the product to. I think I've sold half a dozen of these things for him, but I can't recommend it enough. I believe in SentinelOne wholeheartedly.

Software Engineer at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Lets us centrally manage our active endpoints
  • "It delivers the type of security which we were hoping for, since we have a lot of different endpoint users utilizing different types of software. We have people who only use Office software, like email, Word, and PDFs. Then, we have people who use some applications that other people wrote. We also write applications in-house using people who develop software. Therefore, we have some machines using very high-end developer software for mechanical development, electronic development, and software development. Those users are used to managing their PC on their own. The centralize platform allows us to differentiate between those three groups of people. We have overall control and can oversee the security levels at all the endpoints. They have not yet been blocked in any way when performing the functions"
  • "We have had one or two occasions when we had to roll back off our Windows machine. Then, we had an issue with SentinelOne where we couldn't let the client make contact with the cloud service anymore. Therefore, the integration with the Windows Service Recovery could be improved in the future."

What is our primary use case?

We are a company with several types of PC users. Our office ranges from marketing to sales, and we also have people who are remote on laptops all over the world, as well as an R&D department. Those people use PCs in different ways.

We wanted a platform that has ways of dealing with various kinds of users, but we also wanted a central management so we could overview the state of all our endpoints with one view.

We use the central cloud interface to manage all our endpoints.

We only use it on Windows machines.

How has it helped my organization?

It delivers the type of security which we were hoping for, since we have a lot of different endpoint users utilizing different types of software. We have people who only use Office software, like email, Word, and PDFs. Then, we have people who use some applications that other people wrote. We also write applications in-house using people who develop software. Therefore, we have some machines using very high-end developer software for mechanical development, electronic development, and software development. Those users are used to managing their PC on their own. The centralize platform allows us to differentiate between those three groups of people. We have overall control and can oversee the security levels at all the endpoints. They have not yet been blocked in any way when performing the functions.

I have one instance where we had a trigger of an attack. Luckily, it appeared to be in an unregistered program created a lot of threats by renaming files. This was something that the employer developed by his own. This was an unknown program that generated a lot of threats to very quickly rename a thousand files. However, it was not an actual attack, but the behavior of that program was such that the AI protection of SentinelOne kicked in and alarmed us of a possible attack. One of our employees created a program just for his benefit. It had exactly the same behavior as a ransomware attack would have had, then it kicked in. This is why I'm confident that SentinelOne will also detect real ransomware actions. That is the only one instance where I encountered the Behavior AI software kicking in.

We haven't had any real attacks over the last year. We did have some intrusions mainly from suspicious files that people were getting via their browser and some attachments that I tried to open with double extensions. Luckily, in the last year, we haven't had any actual attacks.

The effectiveness of the solution’s distributed intelligence at the endpoint is 100 percent. We haven't had any incidents break through. We only see a very small reduction in PC performance.

What is most valuable?

The main reasons that we use SentinelOne are the antivirus and Behavioral AI protections. We have this solution centrally managed to see what endpoints are active, along with the latest software protection running. It also provides us external control, so we can block machines remotely, even if they are in another country, because we have account managers all over the world. All these features together protect us against strange behavioral programs.

SentinelOne's one-click, automatic remediation and rollback for restoring an endpoint is very handy. We had some issues with programs that were unknown by SentinelOne, then marked as suspicious and quarantined, because we also develop software ourselves and have software packages that were compiled in 1995 and don't conform to the normal rules. SentinelOne always marks those packages as suspicious because they do something different than they should when you compile them with current libraries of Windows, etc. Therefore, we had some interventions of SentinelOne where you can easily whitelist them and rollback the quarantine action so people who use those old-fashioned programs could easily continue with their work.

This was only an issue during the first month when we rolled out the software, then it starts doing scans mainly on the R&D PCs, which was our great concern. Normal office use is fairly straightforward, but when you develop software (and we also develop software to communicate with our embedded systems), then the demands are a bit different. However, until now, we have been very happy with it.

What needs improvement?

We have had one or two occasions when we had to roll back off our Windows machine. Then, we had an issue with SentinelOne where we couldn't let the client make contact with the cloud service anymore. Therefore, the integration with the Windows Service Recovery could be improved in the future.

We have been using it for about a year now. We rolled it out in December 2019.

All the endpoints are running without problems. It is very stable. We have deployed several versions of agents. I haven't encountered any issues, apart from when that rollback occurred, and the SentinelOne agents were locked out of the cloud platform, and the only way to retrieve that was by installing it again by hand.

Up until now, SentinelOne's effectiveness has been 100 percent.

We are a relatively small company with about 80 employees. Most things are offsite. We do not use automated things very much.

There are four users from the admin side.

Together with another colleague, we chose SentinelOne, then tested and deployed it. A few other colleagues have monitoring views in SentinelOne, e.g., if a site has to be whitelisted.

I had one issue that I brought up with customer support. They delivered a solution in about two hours. It was related to the issue with the agent. I just issued an email, and in about an hour, the problem was solved. I was delivered a good solution: an uninstalling procedure and how to go about it. That's the only thing that we needed it, and the only time we needed the technical support.

Before this solution, we used McAfee, which was not enough for our use. Then, SentinelOne came into the picture. It not only had static virus checking (antivirus), but it also had the Behavioral AI features, like triggers, that we could investigate.

The McAfee solution that we had was more demanding, more expensive, and had less functionality. Three to four years ago, we had an incident with ransomware, and it wasn't detected at the time by the McAfee on all the points. There were two points that were affected. Since it wasn't noticed by the McAfee. we were considering other software solutions from that point on.

SentinelOne offered a good solution, which is the main reason that we went with them. It was easy to manage, although we didn't use McAfee the way we use SentinelOne right now. McAfee was incorporated in our company about 20 years ago, so we probably didn't use all the facilities that McAfee can offer now.

SentinelOne made us a good offer, especially regarding the Behavioral AI aspect of the protection. Therefore, we just wanted to see what they could offer us. After a year, we are still very satisfied.

SentinelOne had a smaller footprint, both in resources and time-wise, as in load, than the McAfee solution that we had previously.

The initial setup was fairly straightforward. It was very easy to start up. You didn't have to go into a lot of documentation to roll it out. We used the management from the central platform, not our own central platform on-premise, and did it on the cloud version. This way, it could be delivered and updated remotely.

The deployment took a week. We deployed it to about 90 endpoints.

We just had a discussion with the SentinelOne service provider onsite. He gave a revision of how SentinelOne should be deployed along with some examples. Before we deployed it to the entire company, we had a testing time of about two months.

SentinelOne has reduced incident response time. The two main pillars that SentinelOne helps us with:

1. Central management: I can ensure management that if there is a breach all the machines and endpoints are up-to-date and protected.
  2. SentinelOne allows us to switch off an endpoint remotely, which we could do previously. Most people are on-premises, but there are 15 to 20 people all over the world with laptops connected everywhere.

It saves a few hours a week for one person, because you can see the statuses of all the machines in one place.

It was cheaper than McAfee, which was a way to convince management to go with the solution.

What other advice do I have?

At the moment, we are very pleased with the solution.

We saw the Storyline technology briefly. However, the Storyline is only when you have actual attacks, and they are not caught in the beginning. Most of our attacks were caught just by static recognition of the files, so there was no story because the file was not allowed to activate. In the beginning, we did some fake file checks in an enclosed surrounding and in a CM setup, which is how I saw the Storyline facilities, but we don't use it.

I would rate this solution as a nine (out of 10).

Other
Roel Schreurs - PeerSpot reviewer
System Engineer at Lyanthe
The rollback worked flawlessly, saving me a couple of days of work
  • "The best part of the agent is that users can't remove or disable it, so endpoints will be safe. I can control it from the portal. I can see when it's updated and I can push updates from the portal. The greatness of SentinelOne is that our end-users don't see anything to do with the agents. Some of them don't even know it's on their laptops. And that's a good thing."
  • "It's good on Linux, and Windows is pretty good except that the Windows agents sometimes ask for a lot of resources on the endpoints. That could be in the fine-tuning for scanning. In Mac, they are complaining about the same problems, that it's using a lot of resources, but that could also be that we have to configure what it is scanning and what it should not scan. Currently it scans everything."

What is our primary use case?

It's for our regular laptop users, desktops, and our production servers. For the production servers we use it to make sure there is nothing coming from the outside. And for our regular users it works everywhere, so they can do everything with a laptop.

It's a cloud solution. We don't have a large business. We have a lot of services but we don't have many users. Everything is in the cloud and we have about 20 clients or 20 agents for normal users in the Netherlands and we have between 100 and 200 users in the Philippines. The rest is for server safety.

How has it helped my organization?

There is a lot of remote work at the moment and SentinelOne provides the safety I want. Everything goes outside now and the only control I have is Sentinel One, but it gives me enough control.

We have developers who do a lot on their laptops and sometimes they create problems. When that happens, SentinelOne is pretty fast with them. We have configured it to disconnect them from the network so we don't end up with more problems. Now, those developers know they have to contact our IT department if they want to fix it. The great thing there is that we know that when something happens on a laptop it is isolated.

We see what is mitigated and what is not. And when SentinelOne is in doubt, it asks the managers what to do with what it has found. When you have arranged that once, it will take care of it the next time. That's great.

Overall, it's effectiveness is 100 percent because we don't see many outbreaks anymore. Nobody's complaining about using their endpoints.

I've only done a rollback once and it worked flawlessly at that moment, but that was nine months or a year ago. It saved us a lot of time because the problem didn't spread over the network. It affected one machine because it was disconnected from the network. We then rolled it back and it was up and running again. If the rollback hadn't worked well, it would have meant a couple of days of additional work. If the outbreak had reached my network I would have had to clean everything. I was able to do everything from the portal. The connection with the manager was still there. We just had to click on two buttons and everything went.

Overall, it has helped to reduce our response time by about 20 percent.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the information it finds and what it is doing with that information. I can check if the info it sends is true. It's very clear.

And if you configure it in the right way, it does a lot automatically. And that's what you want. You don't have to use it every day. I only log in to the SentinelOne portal once a day, just to check if there are alarms or the like and that's it. The rest is flawless.

Now that we've been using it for six months, SentinelOne knows what we want to have, what it has to do and it works that way. So it's very simple to use and that's pretty nice for the team.

The best part of the agent is that users can't remove or disable it, so endpoints will be safe. I can control it from the portal. I can see when it's updated and I can push updates from the portal. The greatness of SentinelOne is that our end-users don't see anything to do with the agents. Some of them don't even know it's on their laptops. And that's a good thing.

What needs improvement?

It's good on Linux, and Windows is pretty good except that the Windows agents sometimes ask for a lot of resources on the endpoints. That could be in the fine-tuning of the scanning. In Mac, they are complaining about the same problems, that it's using a lot of resources, but that could also be that we have to configure what it is scanning and what it should not scan. Currently it scans everything.

I have been working in my current company since April 1, so I have been using it here for six months. But I used it in another company in Eindhoven for a couple of years. That company was also a provider of SentinelOne and that's why I know how it works and what it does.

It has great stability. We haven't experienced any downtime or any kinds of bugs. If the users use the endpoints normally, nothing happens. We have some users who think they have to bypass SentinelOne, and then we sometimes have problems with those endpoints. But that's because of user action. It has nothing to do with SentinelOne.

We started with about 50 endpoints and now we have over 300. We haven't had a problem with it.

There will be more servers to watch over so our usage will be increasing. When the business grows, our IT will grow with it, and SentinelOne has to grow along with us.

I have used their technical support and my experience with them has been very good. They are fast. They know what they're talking about. Those are two great things for support to have.

Before SentinelOne the company was using F-Secure. It started as an antivirus and then F-Secure also made a cloud-based endpoint protection solution from it, with a managed base and automation and checking for updates. It works with a database, which is not the way SentinelOne works. F-Secure is much cheaper.

They switched to SentinelOne because it is more for malware. F-Secure doesn't do anything in malware, just virus scanning.

The initial setup of SentinelOne is straightforward. It's fairly logical. Everything works in the way you think it has to work. It's pretty simple to work with. It's just a matter of installing the agent and go. It takes about two minutes. There is an agent client with token codes. You just install the token code in it and reboot your endpoint and it's working.

We have it installed on 305 endpoints. This is a work in progress. We didn't have all of those endpoints when SentinelOne came in. We've rolled out new endpoints. But, it doesn't take long for a machine to get an agent and to make a connection and to get updates. Once you are in the portal, you can update from there. And then, you only have to check if it's already there and if the agent is working.

If we push an update, within an hour everything is there. If they are all online it will go pretty fast.

It's working simply. You don't have to learn a lot to know what it does and how to work with it, and that saves time. And it gives you a solid solution for security.

You have to look at the kinds of problems you can end up with and the fact that you want security against them, and then SentinelOne is not expensive. That's the way I would sell it.

If you avoid having one outbreak a year, just one, then SentinelOne is worth the money. When you have that one outbreak and it spreads across your complete network, it means days of work are gone. For a complete environment like ours, with 300-plus users, it would be very expensive.

I've also used Sophos with customers. If you want to have a safe environment, then you have to work with tools like SentinelOne. F-Secure and Sophos work with databases for virus knowledge and that creates a delay.

Also, SentinelOne has the rollback which works flawlessly, whereas F-Secure and Sophos don't have that.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is start working with it. You're going to love it.

The biggest lesson I've learned from using SentinelOne is that security tools can be different. SentinelOne has taught me that you can do security in different ways. If it sounds expensive, I would not always say that it is expensive.

We are a very small business. We don't have somebody who specializes in security. Our IT is just three people who do everything. That makes it difficult to say we are going to focus on SentinelOne and try to use it completely. We put it into use for malware security and that's it. We only have a WatchGuard firewall on the front-end and that's it in terms of security on SentinelOne.

They are improving the management tools. They are getting better. The portal is functioning with more logic. Those are good improvements. It's user-friendly enough. People with low IT knowledge can work with it.

It's a very good program. It does what it says it does, and I'm very glad that I have it.

CIO at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
For the first time we have global knowledge of what's happening in all of our subsidiaries
  • "One of the features that convinced us to adopt SentinelOne was that the solution can recognize and respond to attacks with or without a network connection. That is very important."
  • "Generally, the stability is good, but I would like to see better stability from the solution. The stability issue is partially a con of a behavioral-based product, but being behavioral-based, it also has a lot of pros."

What is our primary use case?

We were looking for an EDR solution to get the best protection available, especially against ransomware. For us, any EDR solution needed to be supported by a 24/7 SOC.

We deploy it on-premise, in all of our factories and branch offices, worldwide.

How has it helped my organization?

Security operations have been improved as SentinelOne is easier to manage and update compared to most traditional anti-malware products. It enables us, for the first time, to have global knowledge of what's happening in all of our subsidiaries. Previously, each of them had a local antivirus solution.

What is most valuable?

• Easy to install and update
  • Management Console in the cloud
  • Ability to partition it in "sites" (our subsidiaries) with local site admin
  • Overall good quality protection

Also, in terms of impact on the endpoint, we carefully manage endpoints for specific purposes (such as for connection to industrial machines) to avoid the false positives that are quite typical in a behavioral engine like SentinelOne. But generally, the impact is quite low, and the Management Console and SOC support allow us to check if everything is working properly or not.

In addition, one of the features that convinced us to adopt SentinelOne was that the solution can recognize and respond to attacks with or without a network connection. That is very important.

We started to install SentinelOne on the first endpoints in August of 2019.

Generally, the stability is good, but I would like to see better stability from the solution. The stability issue is partially a con of a behavioral-based product, but being behavioral-based, it also has a lot of pros.

The scalability is good. At present, I can't see scalability limits.

We have SentinelOne installed on almost 1,700 endpoints and have one main admin for deployment and maintenance and about 20 local site admins.

We have some factories and branch offices where the solution is not yet installed. We hope to complete most of them by the end of this year and, by then, have it installed on about 2,300 endpoints.

Support is quite fast to solve problems. The SOC is very good and really operates 24/7. When necessary, they contact SentinelOne support directly and their replies, generally, are quite fast.

We used traditional antivirus solutions. None of them could stop ransomware attacks and that's the main reason we choose SentinelOne.

In terms of the time it takes for SentinelOne to catch malware compared to our previous platform, the results are similar, with an advantage of SentinelOne being its discovering of Zero-day threats and ransomware.

A SOC provider showed us the product, and we worked out a global agreement for EDR and SOC with them.

The initial complexity was mainly related to finding the right exclusions to avoid false positives, especially with endpoints running technical and industrial software.

The rollout in our main company, with about 600 endpoints, was completed in about three months, including the initial fine-tuning for the AI engine.

In terms of our deployment strategy, in the first company where we installed SentinelOne, we chose to maintain our traditional antivirus product, and run SentinelOne together with it. The decision came about because we were not initially confident with SentinelOne. When we deployed it later to all of our subsidiaries, SentinelOne replaced the local antivirus solution.

Main support was provided by the SOC company, working together with our IT Staff.

We have seen a good ROI about the SOC service and the product.

The solution's price/performance ratio is reasonable.

In addition to the standard licensing fees there is, of course, the SOC service fee.

We evaluated main SOC companies and the solutions they provide. Most of them required a SIEM platform but not specifically an EDR solution. In the end, we chose the best and most affordable combination of SOC and EDR.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to start with a few endpoints and become comfortable with SentinelOne, and test the exclusion rules for endpoints running specific software.

At present, it looks like the most advanced EDR solution on the market, but I think we have to stay tuned to the market and to what's happening in cybercrime, as 100 percent security doesn't exist.

Mohammad Ali Khan - PeerSpot reviewer
Director at Pacific Infotech UK ltd
Automatic remediation and rollback help us minimize the number of technicians needed to support customers
  • "It has a one-click button that we can use to reverse all those dodgy changes made by the virus program and bring the system quickly back to what it was. That's one of the most important features."
  • "Another valuable feature is that if a machine is infected, one that may infect other computers within the network, we have the capability of segregating that machine in the network so that it remains connected to the internet but is cut off from the other machines in the network. That helps prevent spreading of the infection. That's a very unique feature, one I have not seen in the last 10 to 15 years from any other antivirus program. That's amazing."
  • "One of the areas which would benefit from being improved is the policies. There are still software programs where we need to manually program in the policies to tell the system, "This program is legitimate." Some level of AI-based automation in creating those policies would go a long way in improving the amount of time it takes to deploy the system."

What is our primary use case?

We are a managed services provider. We are not just using it for ourselves, but we are also supporting it and deploying it for a number of our customers.

The primary use case is that it's endpoint protection software and we use it to protect our end customers' endpoints, whether they are Apple or computers, laptops or servers.

SentinelOne is software as a service, but it has an agent that has to be installed on a computer or a server onsite.

How has it helped my organization?

Its Behavioral AI recognizes novel and fileless attacks and responds in real-time. What that means is that we have better confidence. For example, a number of users use USB drives which they bring from home. While we have a lot of customers where we have actually restricted the use of external USB drives, there are certain customers where we cannot restrict that use because of the way they run their businesses. The result, for them, is that there is a constant fear that at any given point in time, an infected USB from someone's home computer can actually infect the whole lot of computers within the corporate environment. But having SentinelOne means we have a certain level of peace of mind, so that even if something completely new tries to enter the network or the system via a USB drive, for example, it doesn't matter. The system will detect it and kill it. There is a level of protection which we never felt before using SentinelOne.

As a managed service provider, the most important thing is that the more secure a customer's network is, the less time our team will spend trying to fix issues. One of our customers is a prestigious hotel in London, and they were struggling, literally battling, with a virus that had infected their network of about 90 computers. Whatever we could have done, and all their previous IT company could have done, could not have eliminated that virus. Even if you completely formatted a computer, it kept coming back. The only way we were able to clean that whole network up and stabilize the environment was when we brought in SentinelOne. Before that it was Symantec, and Symantec couldn't do anything to control that infection. But SentinelOne brought in such stability, that since we introduced it into that network about one-and-a-half years back, not a single report has come in of any infection there.

Also, when we have to report on attacks to a customer, the customer always asks us for the root cause analysis. It is very important for us to understand the behavior and to find out where that infection came from and what it initially did so that we can look at that behavior and try to prevent it from happening again elsewhere. SentinelOne helps us in doing the root cause analysis and reporting back to our customers. It gives us insight into where a problem started and how it propagated into the system. Tracking the history of the virus' actions gives that insight, which is very important. Otherwise, there is no way to create a root cause analysis report for a security breach.

The automatic remediation and rollback in Protect mode, without human intervention, is already enabled on almost all of our computers. That helps us minimize the number of technicians we need to work on things. Automatic remediation is a policy which we enable when we deploy the system, which means that a lot of things happen automatically. And from our side, we only keep an eye on the dashboard. That means that we need fewer technicians to support the system. It provides support itself through that functionality.

Overall, SentinelOne has reduced our incident response time, absolutely. In our case, it's particularly true because we have remote teams working from remote offices. With SentinelOne, we don't need to send someone onsite because we can see a lot of things from a single pane of glass on the dashboard. And if there is a problem, we can do all the troubleshooting, and working on that incident, remotely. So it has definitely improved the way we have provided cybersecurity to our customers.

And it has reduced our mean time to repair by more than 60 percent. Previously, when we were using other solutions, we had to do a lot more work.

The solution's automation has also increased analyst productivity. The effect is significant in the sense that the amount of time our analysts used to spend on security has been reduced. These days, they only have a look at the dashboard which is open on one of the screens in our office. They just keep an eye on that and as long as it shows everything is green, they don't even bother drilling down and looking at other stuff. It's only when they see an alarm coming up that they jump in and look at it. That was never the case before. Before, they were remotely accessing computers and working on them and trying to fix issues. That has become a thing of the past since we started using SentinelOne.

What is most valuable?

It's artificial intelligence-based software. The best part is the fact that it doesn't necessarily rely on definitions, like other software. For example, Symantec, AVG, Avast, and Kaspersky, traditional antivirus software, rely on virus definitions. So every now and then, if there is a virus infection, they will compile a new set of virus definitions and push it to the local agent so it will know that this virus exists and that it should keep an eye out for it.

These traditional software solutions have small levels of functionality that may help them to identify if there are any dodgy activities within the computer. They would then try to mitigate those, but only to a very limited extent. With SentinelOne, that's not the case because it basically has its own intelligence to identify any dodgy behavior within the system. As soon as SentinelOne detects anything which is not right, it will start tracing the changes being made. And because it's centrally controlled, it will give the controller team an early indication that there is something wrong and that we need to fix it. Not only that, but it will block it and keep track of it for mitigation.

We also use the solution’s ActiveEDR technology. Because it's an agent-based system, it is monitoring internally. It's not that the central system is doing it. It's keeping an eye on the functioning of the endpoint itself. If the endpoint is functioning properly, it will sit behind the scenes and not do anything at all. As soon as it sees any malicious activity within the system, that's where it's triggered. The artificial intelligence part of the agent is able to differentiate what activity can be considered malicious and what activity can be considered normal. And that's big. It's something that cannot happen without that kind of intelligence in place.

It has a one-click button that we can use to reverse all those dodgy changes made by a virus program and bring the system quickly back to what it was. That's one of the most important features.

Another valuable feature is that if a machine is infected, one that may infect other computers within the network, we have the capability of segregating that machine so that it remains connected to the internet but is cut off from the other machines in the network. That helps prevent spreading of the infection. That's a very unique feature, one I have not seen in the last 10 to 15 years from any other antivirus program. That's amazing.

We have used it on Mac and we have used it on Windows. We have seen a good level of protection, because since installing it for those of our customers who have taken it, not a single report of a breach has come out. I feel very strongly that the system is quite capable.

What needs improvement?

One of the areas which would benefit from being improved is the policies. There are still software programs where we need to manually program in the policies to tell the system, "This program is legitimate." Some level of AI-based automation in creating those policies would go a long way in improving the amount of time it takes to deploy the system.

There is also a bit of room for improvement in the way SentinelOne is deployed. Right now we push it, but a lot of the time the pushing doesn't work. So we have to log in to each computer and do a manual install. That area would help in making the product stronger.

We have been using SentinelOne for about two-and-a-half years.

It's very stable. I have not seen it crash, nor have I seen any other problems.

I have not used their technical support. My engineers have used it, and their feedback about the support has been good so far. I don't think they have had complaints.

The initial setup is straightforward. But when deploying it to 100 or 200 or 300 machines, pushing it is easier than logging on to each machine and doing it manually. But sometimes, pushing doesn't work and doing it manually takes a little bit more time. But that's a one-off exercise.

We don't have much of an implementation strategy for the solution. As an MSP, there are a lot more things going on, day-to-day, than just dealing with SentinelOne. But for deployment, I get my boys to log on to a customer's systems, do the push, and then whatever does not work through push deployment, they install manually.

For maintenance of SentinelOne, we only have two engineers who look at it on a day-to-day basis. We don't need any more than that. In terms of deployment, it depends on the size of the deployment. If it's a 100-user deployment, we would have a team of three or four who would do it over a few days' time.

The return for us is that it has reduced the manpower we require.

Pricing is a bit of a pain point. That's where we have not been able to convince all of our customers to use SentinelOne. The pricing is still on the higher side. It's almost double the price, if not more, of a normal antivirus, such as NOD32, Kaspersky, or Symantec.

I understand that these are not similar products, but for a customer who has a certain amount of money to pay for an antivirus, they can only spend so much. That's where it becomes hard to convince them to pay double the price for endpoint security.

That is the only feature of this product which causes us to step back and not be able to deploy it for absolutely every customer we have. We would love to, but obviously if the customer doesn't have the budget to pay for it, there is not much we can do.

If they can somehow bring the prices down, that would massively help in bringing this to a lot more customers.

We looked into other solutions, but not as deeply as we went into SentinelOne. Because we liked SentinelOne so much, we just stopped there. And we already had experience with the likes of Malwarebytes, Symantec, and AVG. This was a far superior product.

I haven't had a chance to take a deeper dive into Carbon Black, but that is something I have been told is comparable to SentinelOne.

One of the things which attracted me to SentinelOne was the fact that it is the only product which is tied to the SonicWall platform, and we use the SonicWall platform a lot. A lot of our customers have SonicWall firewalls. Having a combination of SonicWall and SentinelOne provides an end-to-end security arrangement with products that are integrated with each other.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. It's an absolutely brilliant product. But understand what it is before starting to deploy. Unless you understand the product, you will not know how to use it to the best of its best capabilities.

The solution's Behavioral AI works with and without a network connection, providing the internal protection. But having that network connection is important because it will then be able to report it to the central dashboard. While it will do what it has to do locally, it's helpful when the agent reports back to the central dashboard so that the IT Admin can take action. It is important that the systems remain connected to the internet.

But overall, the Behavioral AI is amazing. It's something very new in the market. The way SentinelOne works and the way it is set up, I haven't been more impressed by any other product. It is a step forward in security.

We have 400 to 500 endpoints using SentinelOne at the moment, and all those customers are happy. We are happy that they're using it, because it helps us secure their network better than what they had before. We have it on laptops which have been given to home users, on computers in offices, on servers in computer rooms. They all have SentinelOne and we are happy with the level of protection that it offers.

Moving forward, with every customer whose antivirus is coming up for renewal in our portfolio, we are recommending getting rid of Symantec and other products and taking on SentinelOne.

It's very effective and it's improving by the day. In the last two-and-a half years I have seen that the way it detects and the way it mitigates threats are constantly improving. It's a very effective solution.

Disclosure: PeerSpot contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner
Sr. Information Security Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Shortened our incident response process because all of the information we need is already there
  • "Previously, we had some processes related to incident response which required more steps. We needed to upload to VirusTotal, Sandbox, et cetera. Now, this process is shortened because all of the information we need is already in SentinelOne. We can briefly analyze and even respond from one management console. If someone has SOC, using the API, they can control everything. It's very cool. I think this is the future."
  • "In terms of improvement, they should work on agents' updates because that is not a strong part. It's not their strong point. It's not straightforward to upgrade agents. I send them questions about it. They already worked on this and they promised that in the next release that they will show me their solution for it. But this year I have had complaints about agents' updates, that they aren't clear."

What is our primary use case?

SentinelOne has completely replaced the antivirus solution that we used before. It's also an EDR solution. In the case of any suspicious malware, we can control the system with this agent.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, we had some processes related to incident response which required more steps.  We needed to upload to VirusTotal, Sandbox, et cetera. Now, this process is shortened because all of the information we need is already in SentinelOne. We can briefly analyze and even respond from one management console. If someone has SOC, using the API, they can control everything. It's very cool. I think this is the future.

Behavioral AI does recognize novel and fileless attacks but we hope not to experience an attack like this. These days, there is no life without the internet. I don't think it is really a plausible scenario because we all use Microsoft services, 365, etc. If you don't have an internet connection, then you don't have anything. The guys from SentinelOne showed me an example where they can actually work without an internet connection and it worked just fine, like a common antivirus solution. But it wasn't important to us that it can do this because we know that in the real world, there are not many scenarios that wouldn't involve the internet.

We do use the storyline feature because it's SentinelOne's main feature that they are proud of. We don't see a lot of viruses in our environment and from what we have seen, it doesn't really help because a user will download a virus, the antivirus blocks it, and that's the end of the story. So there isn't much of a storyline behind it. But the SentinelOne guys showed us how it works and in the case of a difficult attack, it should work fine.

We work with the storyline feature when we are suspicious of something and we need to check. But we didn't have an exact case where something highly critical was in our systems.

What is most valuable?

I find all of the features to be valuable. It's a cool and very informative tool. The management console analyzes, stops, and prevents the spread of malware. You only need to work with the console. There is nothing to do on the agent side. The user does not need to be involved in this process.

The level of information it provides is enormous. You have all you need in case something happens. If we need to have an incident response with third-party external companies, we can give them the data that they can analyze further. The information about what's happened on the computer is absolutely amazing.

It's very comprehensive. It offers a lot of data but you can see only what you need or you can go further. If you need to investigate a little further, you can do that in any process. It's a SOC-analyst style.

If you are not an analyst, you can still do a lot with it. It's very convenient. We have workers who are not in the office, who are working from home. This is a good solution for them because it's Cloud-based. I can control everything from one console and even for users who are not in the office. We work with lots of vendors and not many of them have this solution. Traditional antivirus software doesn't have these features.

In terms of its impact on the endpoint, when you have a house computer working on antivirus, it doesn't make a huge impact on the system resources and even more, it can be installed parallel to antivirus. We have had scenarios where we have traditional antivirus and SentinelOne installed in parallel. It's two antiviruses on the computer and users won't know about it. They know about it when they start to download bad stuff and the antivirus starts yelling.

According to what I see in the console, I do think that SentinelOne covers a wide variety of operating systems. It's even more than it needs to. In the traditional way, it's like antivirus but it does even more because it's also like an EDR solution. It covers all processes, what it does, where it goes, et cetera. There's a lot of stuff under the hood. I'm surprised it doesn't use a lot of resources because I thought it would be more aggressive for CPU memory.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, they should work on agents' updates because that is not a strong part. It's not their strong point. It's not straightforward to upgrade agents. I send them questions about it. They already worked on this and they promised that in the next release that they will show me their solution for it. But this year I have had complaints about agents' updates, that they aren't clear.

They have a lot of updates on their management console. They have a lot of features. There is not enough time to read about it all. It's really a lot. The features that they apply are great and I would love to use them, but it's lots of things to know. And if you're not only working with antivirus on SentinelOne like me, there isn't much time to learn about it.

I have been using SentinelOne for almost a year.

I'm very excited to work with SentinelOne but they have a problem with agent updates. We lose connectivity when we update agents. When users are working from home it's not good to lose connection because you don't have options to connect or have meetings.

I think they started working very closely on this problem. This solution will be better but so far, that's been my experience.

We use the Cloud. It's completely scalable. They use a management console for lots of companies. It's tremendously scalable, it can be used with hundreds of thousands of computers.

Right now, we protect only 100 endpoints, it's for highly critical systems. Before the COVID crisis, we had plans to increase usage. We need to renew at the end of the year. We will for sure renew for 100 endpoints. I'm not sure about expanding though.

We don't need to do anything related to updating service backend sites. For agents, we only need to click "select all" and "run update," that's it. It only requires one person for maintenance, to see events and analyst information, technology, etc. It has access for three people who are security engineers and our CSO.

They have excellent support. There are security vendors who take up to 48 hours to just answer back a "Hello," without an explanation to my problem. The SentinelOne guys answer within the hour with a solution to any concerns expressed in an email. Support is very awesome. They also connect me with engineers who can help me. I can share a screen with them to show them the exact problem. This is important because a lot of vendors don't do this.

The initial setup is very easy and straightforward. We don't use the on-premise solution, we are Cloud-based. It's important because we have a lot of resources on our side who work fast. We can deploy in minutes. The initial deployment took one hour.

We did the deployment ourselves. It's really easy. We have a Wiki page where end-users can see what they can install themselves. They just need to click on it, type, tell us where they want us to put a computer, and that's it. The users can do it themselves.

We installed it for a pilot group of 10 users and then deployed for others.

Our analysts spend less time doing his job because he has everything he needs in one management console. He can programmatically do everything and only react to real incidents. It reduced the costs of analysts' work. Their work costs a lot of time and money and having SentinelOne enables us to save on these costs.

There are actually three versions of this product: the user version, professional, and professional plus. If analysts need to see something, like what the users are doing, what processes are running, we can go to the console and see. The traditional version only shows when incidents happen. I think the next time we renew, we'd go with the lesser version because it shows enough information.

There aren't additional costs to the standard licensing.

We have the option to choose different vendors. We briefly looked at other vendors. We looked at Carbon Black, Kaspersky, and ESET EDR.

We evaluated them one year ago. These vendors are comparable to traditional antivirus while SentinelOne is and all in one solution. It has everything you need. SOC analysts is straightforward and they gave us a straightforward proposal.

It takes the same amount of time for SentinelOne to catch malware as it does other solutions. There's not much of a difference. In our case, we don't see a lot of viruses because we have a lot of levels of security that prevent them.

What other advice do I have?

We can see the difference between traditional antivirus and what we can do with SentinelOne. Even if the price is a little bit more, we can see what we can do with it. We can use EDR, stop network activity, do whatever we need on the endpoint, from the security engineer side. We can see that it's at a completely different level. We have a traditional antivirus but we're going to rid of them at the end of the licensing period.

My advice would be to go with the Cloud version, not on-prem.

I would rate SentinelOne a ten out of ten. It's a ten out of ten in terms of the EDR. It's also a 10 of 10 for the product and company. The solution does a lot.

Private Cloud
IT Manager at Telecorp Inc.
Protects our network end users from malware and eliminates ransom ware with timely alerts and automatic resolution
  • "Prevents ransomware getting through."
  • "Communication and documentation could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution to protect my clients and sites that I support from malware and ransom ware. It is installed on the end point clients and servers as a client and then it clean and protects after a reboot. As a managed service provider we found it instrumental at preventing viruses and especially preventing ransom ware. We went from 30% ransom ware infections to zero. The software stops the infection before it executes.

How has it helped my organization?

It has saved hundreds of hours fixing destroy and encrypted computers. In the old days even if you restored the files Windows was still damaged. This stops the software from executing.

What is most valuable?

The valuable feature of this solution is the ability for it to stop a virus or ransom ware. It uses a SOC for active monitoring and AI software that watches where you go and what gets executed. If it sees danger I get alerted and the machine is frozen. If the SOC believes it to be a virus the machines network card is frozen or the machine is automatically returned to the state before the file was executed and the file is erased. If it's safe the machine is auto unfrozen. I can go in look at the logs, verify if it's a false positive and unfreeze the machine. If I believe it is a virus I can return the machine to before the file got executed. Erasing any damage. If I believe it's a false positive I can mark it benign and re execute the file. So far it's stopped four ransomware cases from getting through, so it's doing a good job.

What needs improvement?

I think communication and documentation could be improved in the solution. When you get a virus alert, there's not a lot of upfront training to let you know how to resolve a situation when it occurs. The first couple of times you're flailing a little bit until you get it sorted. I would probably also suggest that the interface could use a little bit of help. It's a little hunt and peck.

For additional features, I'd like to see the ability to control it on a cell phone. It would be great if I could have it in the palm of my hand so that if I get a false positive, I can just look at the dashboard on my phone.

I've been using this solution for seven months.

The solution seems super stable, although you do get some false positives, especially when it encounters a new piece of software. But the SOC is able to quickly whitelist and adopt to the new software fairly quickly.

The solution is scalable. I'm able to put it both in a script and I can see it being able to be deployed in a large environment as well as a small one. I have 285 end points and the roles are anywhere from financial traders to insurance agents. All employees have access to the solution, it's actually turned into my main route for antivirus end protection and the product doesn't require any maintenance except for when it finds a virus.

I've used technical support a few times and it's very good. They're very responsive and they alert you very quickly when there's an issue. They lean heavier on protection, which can sometimes be a problem. A lot of times, by the time I'm logged in to look at it, they've already figured out that it's a false positive and they mark it and whitelist it and put the machine back online. All that can take less than a couple of seconds.

I've previously used several antivirus programs and then I got to the point where I wanted to use an artificial intelligence program. Originally I used CrowdStrike, which I also liked, but the main reason I switched to SentinelOne is because it's incorporated as part of my MSP solution suite.

The initial setup is very straightforward. When you implement, it goes through and does the initial scan and it makes the configuration changes that it needs. I haven't had a problem with any deployment at all and it's a very quick process.

It's deployed in house

The cost of the solution varies and depends on your relationship with the supplier. My cost is USD $6 per end point. I don't have additional costs on top of that.

I evaluated, Norton 360, Windows antivirus, Webroot, Crowdstrike, and ESET

What other advice do I have?

With solutions like these it's important to keep in mind that any automated system can give false positives, especially when they first encounter your software. Be patient, work with the SOC and the technical support team. If your work is implementation, then do whole sites at one time. It's best to do it in sections, let it sit for a couple of weeks and then do the rest.

I would rate this solution a ten out of 10.

VP at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Easy to set up and transparently offers effective protection
  • "The most valuable feature is that it just unintrusively works in the background to carry out the protection."
  • "Periodically we have an application that does not work correctly when SentinelOne is installed, yet performs as expected when SentinelOne is removed."

What is our primary use case?

We have SentinelOne installed on all of our workstations and servers. It is set up with the maximum protection except that Active is in Alert Mode, and everything else is blocked.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it just unintrusively works in the background to carry out the protection. You don't have to babysit it. Instead, it will alert if it sees something, you deal with it and carry on from there.

What needs improvement?

Periodically we have an application that does not work correctly when SentinelOne is installed, yet performs as expected when SentinelOne is removed. SentinelOne gives no clue as to the problem, so to diagnose what is happening can be difficult. To make it worse, the behavior is inconsistent. Two people in the office might have the application working correctly, but a third person using the same program will have a problem.

Nothing is displayed by the agent that is running on the workstations, but it would be helpful to have a mode available where we can see feedback as to what it is doing. We wouldn't want it running all the time because there would be more overhead, but it could be helpful for debugging or diagnosing problems.

I have been using SentinelOne for between six months and a year.

In terms of stability, it has been good so far.

It appears to be scalable.

The initial setup is very easy.

Our licensing fees are about $5 USD per endpoint, per month.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and I recommend it. That said, there are always ways to make things better.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Director - Global Information Security at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Does what a first-level SOC analyst would do, notifying us of, and remediating, issues at that level
  • "The strength of SentinelOne is that it has an automated, active EDR. It does that first level of what a SOC analyst would do, automatically, using artificial intelligence, so we can focus on other things. Active EDR not only notifies you, but it actually fixes that first level. That is unheard of. Very few, if any, companies do that."
  • "The area where it could be improved is reporting. They have some online reporting, but it would be nice to be able to pick and choose. When I'm looking at the console, I would love to be able to pull certain things into a report, the things that are specific to me."

What is our primary use case?

In general, we replaced our entire antivirus and anti-spyware with SentinelOne. We use it across all platforms, from servers to workstations, to Macs, to Windows, to Linux, Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, and embedded systems - on-premise and in the cloud. We also use their console and their threat-hunting. We needed a solution that was simple and intuitive, without having multiple agents.

We have also started evaluating their IoT, for the discovery of all IoT devices. This is

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our operational efficiencies. It saves us time because it does that first level of EDR automatically and that allows us to focus on certain things that it tells us about.

And we have better confidence because of all the threats that have been remediated. In fact, the moment we started deploying, we started picking up stuff that was in a dormant state on machines.

SentinelOne has absolutely reduced the number of threats. We get thousands of hits around the world. I'm looking in the console right now and there are 14,639 suspicious detections in the last few days. Of those, it has blocked 87. Another 30 were mitigated right away, and 24 active threats are being investigated now. Remediation of those threats could not be automated because it needs a response to do certain things right.

What is most valuable?

The strength of SentinelOne is that it has an automated, active EDR. It does that first level of what a SOC analyst would do, automatically, using artificial intelligence, so we can focus on other things. Active EDR not only notifies you, but it actually fixes that first level. That is unheard of. Very few, if any, companies do that.

The reason we went into this whole selection process and selected SentinelOne is that their strategy is "defense-in-depth." They do not only do what the traditional AV endpoint security solutions used to do, but they go further by looking at behaviors and patterns. Additionally, their big differentiators are in the dept of behavior analysis. There are other companies that claim this - albeit in a lighter flavor.

The whole behavioral analysis helps us get to the root causes. We can understand and pictorially see the "patient zero" of any threat. It shows the first one who got whatever that threat is. When you look at their console and you see a threat, you can not only pick up the raw data to do forensics on it, but it can actually tell you a storyline: who patient zero was and how this whole threat has spread through your environment or on that machine itself; how it happened. Then, you can check on these things yourself. That's crazy good.

In addition, there is no dependency on the cloud to fully protect. Many products you see today, especially those called next-generation, depend on getting some information from the cloud. With this solution, you don't need to connect. It has the intelligence on the endpoint itself. That's useful because you're not always connected to the cloud. You could be in a lab. We've got laboratories where they aren't necessarily connected to the internet, but you want to have the latest intelligence of machine learning to see that you're doing the right thing. SentinelOne doesn't have to be connected. It's already got that behavioral stuff built-in.

They have a rollback and remediation facility as well. If you've got a virus or some malware on a machine, it's going to detect it and it can actually just clean up that part of that malware. You don't have to do anything else. And if you have ransomware, for example, it will pick it up before it causes a problem. And if it didn't, you can actually roll back and get it to the previous good version.

It integrates well with other products. We've got other cloud services that we use for security, and the intelligence is shared between SentinelOne and the CASB that we have.

And with the threat-hunting, you can validate what it's telling you: Is it a real threat or is it just something that is suspicious?

It can tell you everything that's running on an endpoint: What applications are running there and which of those applications are weak and that you have to watch out for. That's one of their free add-ons. You can do queries, you analyze, you can see who touched what and when. You can check the activities, settings, and policies.

Another advantage is that you can break up consoles. You can have them all in the cloud, or you can have some available physically. You may want to keep certain logs local and not share them because of GDPR. You can do those kinds of things. It's very adaptable and malleable.

If you have an agent on your machine, it will find out what things are neighbors to your machine. You can control machines at different levels. You can even control a device on your machine. If there is, for example, a USB device on your machine, I can control it and not let you use that USB device. I can actually get into your console and do stuff.

The other strength of SentinelOne is that you get almost all these features out-of-the-box. They add many features as a default, you don't pay extra, unlike many other companies. There are services you do pay extra for. I mentioned that SentinelOne handles that first level SOC security analyst-type work. But if you need a deeper understanding, with research, they've got a service for that and it's one that we're using. I was convinced that our current team wasn't good enough, so we had to get that service. It's actually very cost-effective, even cheaper than other ways of getting that level of understanding.

They are already reporting on application vulnerabilities in the landscape and working on providing remediation - another big win.

Regarding the IoT feature, it's on the fence whether they're going to charge for it but that's an add-on module. However, it's not like you have to do anything to install it. You just have to click something in the solution.

What needs improvement?

The area where it could be improved is reporting. They have some online reporting, but it would be nice to be able to pick and choose. When I'm looking at the console, I would love to be able to pull certain things into a report, the things that are specific to me. They're very responsive. They regularly ask customers to provide feedback. They've been working on their reporting since the last feedback meetings. It's not only me but other customers as well who would like to see improvements in the reporting.

File Integrity Monitoring is not a gap, but to do it you have to type several times. It's not the few-click intuitive situation.

It would be nice to have some data leakage included. Also, when it comes to data leakage, while you can get out everything that a person does on a machine, there needs to be a proper way of doing so, like other products that are just focused on data leakage.

I can't wait to see their advances in the cloud infrastructure (containers and serverless).

It would be nice (and is critical) to allow administrators to notate when they make changes to the console configurations - perhaps a tag for reporting. I might, for example, whitelist an application. If I did that today and I leave the company at some point, someone might wonder why I did this. There should be a place to easily notate everything.

I started validating and testing the product back in the fall timeframe of 2017. By the time the proof of concept was done, we were signing the product by the end of 2017 or January of 2018.

In our company, if something happens with a solution, everybody will know, and it will be out of the environment in a jiffy.

So far, the scalability is going really well. It's really lightweight. Using the console, you can break it up into regions. It's integrated with Active Directory and we have it set up as the "research lab" in Melville, New York and something else in China.

Right now, it's our product of choice for endpoint protection. I suspect our usage will grow a lot once they enable the IoT; what they call Ranger.

Technical support started off mainly by email, but support is probably the single biggest improvement since we started with SentinelOne two years ago. They always had the intelligence, like any techie person, but techies are not necessarily good communicators. They always had answers, right up to the top. Their CEO is also a very technical person. But they have improved how tech support is delivered by 100-fold.

We had McAfee, and we were using it for other things too.

I'd never heard of SentinelOne in 2017. I knew of the other big guns but I came across it just by chance by looking at studies that spoke about SentinelOne. I had their sales guys and engineers demonstrate but it didn't mean anything. I still thought it might be fluff. So we had to test it and go through that whole rigmarole.

For all intents and purposes, they delivered. You have to remember that they were fighting a battle against all the big guns in the industry, solutions that were already entrenched. When we did our test, we actually broke a couple of their competitors, not because we wanted to. We were just comparing and doing it as a proof of concept. SentinelOne kept catching everything that I thought the other guys should have caught.

Also, they were never defensive; they were straight-easy to work with. Their responsiveness was also very good. If we needed to get something — and this might be because of the size of their company — we could go right up the chain and something would happen right away. If changes were required they happened really fast.

The initial setup was straightforward. I co-authored a book on evaluating products and one of the things that you have to take into account is ease of use and how intuitive things are. Some people may not consider that important, but I consider it important.

In general, it was easy to set up. That was one of the reasons I was pleasantly surprised.

What can make it difficult is the environment you are in. For example, we have "freeze periods" during about half the year, where we cannot make any changes. So, during retail, during Christmas, Chinese New Year, Black Friday, etc., nothing can change in the environment and we cannot deploy anything.

Other things, outside of the environment, were that there are financial/fiscal periods, every quarter, where we cannot change certain things. And we have different silos: a server group, a Windows group, a Mac group, and a Linux group that didn't want to touch anything. Everyone had some bad taste left in their mouths at some point in time, not necessarily with SentinelOne, but in general. If everything is working, why change it? So there were some political things, internally. We have about 35 different companies around the world. Each has a variation of things and there is every version of every thing out there. And some have badly written code too that shows up as malware; it manifests just like malware.

For deployment and maintenance it was me. I did almost everything. There were only one or two people. Obviously, we have to follow the sun because we're global, so at times there might have been three or four people involved, but generally it was one or two who were coordinating it. They know the product and how to deploy it and what needed to be done, but I needed those guys around the globe. They had to coordinate with each of those groups I mentioned. But we owned it and we were accountable for it. We have segregated duties. Even though I'm in security, I don't have the rights to get onto our Windows Servers and make changes. I have to ask the server guys to do something and that's why things take time. That's why you need people to coordinate it.

But, once it was detecting those threats, I felt that even though we had an outsourced team, they were lacking in knowledge. If I told them, "Hey, this is malware," without the right experience, they wouldn't know what the heck to do with it. That was the challenge. That's why we went with SentinelOne's managed service. They have people who can deal with it and sort out the things that are real.

The way you do it is that you don't just McAfee take off a machine and put this one in. You run them simultaneously for some time, and then take one out. I wanted to see if something would happen, or it started messing things up, or if people would start calling saying, "Hey, there's something going on in my machine."

We didn't work with any third-party. Over the years, I've seen that a lot of these guys tend to have biases.

We have absolutely seen a return on our investment because it has created that first-level SOC. Plus, it has all these other functions. It has replaced McAfee. We don't need a file integrity monitoring product. And we can see application vulnerabilities without using another product. And they keep adding features. Once they add this IoT feature, the ROI will be much more.

Initially, I was just researching solutions using independent reports and industry reviews. I don't necessarily agree with everything in industry reviews, but I used them to narrow down the field and to figure out which solutions I needed to look at. I also looked into whether there were any legal issues the companies were fighting. In that first phase, I got it down to about four or five that I would take to the next level and actually touch them with live malware. The reason the other ones fell off is either they were too focused on one thing or there were some legal things. The industry is small. You hear things, not necessarily officially, but unofficially you hear things.

I looked at McAfee, CrowdStrike, Carbon Black, Palo Alto Traps, Cylance, Endgame, Tanium.

In my evaluation, back in 2017, I wanted to see the features of each and match them up with our requirements. What were our influences? What was important to us? I tried to map that into what features were available at the time, or look at whether a product could consolidate another product that we had so that we would no longer need that other product. I also looked at operational efficiencies, security efficiency, and whether it meets all our compliance goals.

Then I went to the lab where I had real malware. There was a whole method to that madness of testing.

McAfee failed miserably, even with their later product. It would have been easier for us to stick with the incumbent, but it couldn't pick up on malware. There was something it never detected. With that type of next-generation, machine-learning algorithm, it's not so much the algorithm as it is the intelligence, the data that they collect over time.

At the time, Palo Alto Traps was not ready for prime time - immature console, limited support across all our platforms and focus on exploits.

I broke Cylance, surprisingly. I didn't expect that. I'm not even a researcher, per se. I have other jobs in our company. When I managed to break them I was looking at how they responded. I'm not expecting everyone to be perfect, but I found them very defensive. They would say, "Oh, it's only one in 100 or 200 or 300 pieces of malware". But it was the way they responded to things. It took a while for them to get back to me, and they were more concerned about whether I was doing the same thing with the others.

The other weakness of Cylance was that, for anything else, like remediation and response to something, you had to buy another piece. It wasn't part of the product, whereas, with SentinelOne, it was part of the product, without paying anything more.

Some of our folks were convinced that CrowdStrike was the way to go but our tests proved otherwise. CrowdStrike has some good features, but it requires going to the cloud. And secondly, whenever you get events, you almost have to use their service, so you're paying them to help resolve something. It gets expensive.

Separately, I did a compatibility test where I checked our environment: I deployed it in a sampling of some of our machines to see if it run without creating another mess.

When you do a thorough proof of concept, you already have all the details, so nobody's going to mess with you. I compared everything. At the end of the day, I gave my boss a report and said, "This is it. You decide."

What other advice do I have?

Have a look at it. Compare it. It's a very good product to have.

It gives you a lot more insight. It has combined many products into one agent and it's expanding. There are a lot of things it can do now on the cloud, like containers. It gives you insight into a lot of the threats with the hunting ability. I have learned from the tool to see how our environment is. I've learned about certain behaviors of our applications, just by observing what pops up.

There is a console that is in the cloud and there are agents that are all over. You put these agents on Macs or Windows or Linux, or on whatever the cloud versions are of all these virtual devices. We are spread out across the globe. We've got nearly 50,000 endpoints in different parts of the world. We generally stay as close to the latest version of the agent as possible, but we go through change-control and it is very strict. We don't just put things on endpoints. We validate and test in our environment because we have nearly every type of operating system and variations of them in our environment. Therefore, sometimes we are something like .1 or .2 of a version behind. In terms of the console, we are at the latest version.

As a company, we use all variations of clouds, from Ali Cloud, which is China to Azure; we're predominantly Azure. We have AWS and GCP. SentinelOne manages that console and we have access to it. We own that part, our console. It's on AWS, I believe.

Overall, is there room for improvement? Absolutely. There are gaps in the reporting because we need to give reports to different levels. Ideally, we want to just drag and drop things to create reports. They have very nice reports but they're canned. We want to be able to choose what goes into a report. Otherwise, it's right up there and I would give it a nine out of 10.

reviewer1261773 - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineer II, Enterprise Client Support at a media company with 10,001+ employees
Visually appealing and customizable console, as well as a powerful API
  • "We love the API. We use it to generate robust reporting, and we also developed tools to perform agent actions remotely without needing to provide all IT staff with console access."
  • "It would be nice if the console stored data daily, so that you could look at a timeline of events on a machine over a period of time, and currently this is not possible."

What is our primary use case?

We use SentinelOne to secure our entire environment, including all user endpoints and servers. We are also currently testing the Deep Visibility addon. We were using a definition-based AV prior to SentinelOne, and we were getting daily/weekly infections of a variety of malware. We are a mix of PC, Mac, and Linux. We have on-premises machines and servers, as well as cloud VMs that we were wanting to protect. We wanted to purchase a Next Generation AV client that would be algorithm-based instead of definition file-based.

How has it helped my organization?

SentinelOne has provided amazing security. We were getting new cryptolocker variant infections several times per month and the month following our SentinelOne rollout, the numbers dropped to zero. We have not had a single infection since.

The new console is not only visually appealing and simple to use, but it allows you to customize and apply labels to different areas. I don't have a good gauge on how much money SentinelOne has saved us, but we only get a handful of security alerts in our console each day. It has freed up our security staff to perform other tasks.

What is most valuable?

The agent will now also report the location in AD. This allows you to create dynamic collections of machines in the cloud console based on their location in local AD. You can replicate your AD OU structure into the console and run deployments and reporting based on OU. It's a very powerful feature and something that was missing in our last product.

What needs improvement?

The agent update schedule is a little sporadic, and the updates are frequent. You are definitely going to want to have a good management solution in place, such as SCCM, Intune, or Jamf in order to maintain the environment properly.

There is agent data, such as last known IP address, that is not stored historically. It would be nice if the console stored data daily, so that you could look at a timeline of events on a machine over a period of time, and currently this is not possible. You can see a snapshot of the data at the moment, but once it changes whatever was there previously is not stored.

I have been using SentinelOne for four years.

The agent is very stable, especially the later versions of the product. Agent never crashes and consumes minimal system resources. New agent versions are constantly released (which can be slightly difficult to manage if you don't have a good endpoint third party management solution like SCCM\JAMF). Release over release both stability and features have improved and been more fleshed out.

It is very scalable and easy to deploy over any of the standard management solutions.

Customer service and our TAM are both very good. They are responsive and have never been unable to answer a question we asked.

We switched because or old solution flat out was not picking up infections. It was really almost rather useless.

The initial setup is straightforward. We do not have any on-premises infrastructure. Rather, we are using sentinel one in full-cloud mode. It was really just a matter of deploying the agent to the endpoints.

Our in-house team handled the deployment.

ROI is kind of hard to quantify but we definitely do feel like we get our money worth.

The costs are really rather minimal for what you receive with the product. No real advisement here. The larger count you have, the deeper discount you will receive in your contract.

We looked at Carbon Black. SentinelOne was more economical, and the feature set was comparable so we ultimately went with it.

What other advice do I have?

Be ready to dedicate a good amount of time to learn the API. To really get the most from the product you need to tap the REST API.

Private Cloud

Other
Tony Tuite - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant at NFC/IT
Leaderboard
AI-powered protection, data-rollback ability, and seamless integration with SolarWinds
  • "It has the ability to rollback a ransomware infection instantly and with minimal disruption to the user & provides robust reporting."
  • "Set up is very labor-intensive."

What is our primary use case?

We are an MSP supporting various business verticals (including medical and pharmaceutical). Our core monitoring/deployment solution is SolarWinds RMM, through which we were recently introduced to SentinalOne. We use the bundled automation to install, patch, and monitor antimalware protection to endpoints. We are in the process of replacing Bitdefender with SentinalOne for several clients.

How has it helped my organization?

Deployment is automatable through the RMM, though a little clunky to do. The provided automation was a little challenging, but once you get it configured it's quite effective. Once we got it deployed to our users, it operates seamlessly and with minimal impact on system resources. Even our clients with lower-end workstations report improved performance since switching from Bitdefender.

After migrating, this also picked up some latent malware that was not previously detected & cleaned it immediately with almost no interaction required. I was impressed with how little this bogged down the affected system. This was in our pilot run, so I was on-site.

What is most valuable?

The fact that this runs using AI instead of heuristics provides the best protection I've seen. It has the ability to rollback a ransomware infection instantly and with minimal disruption to the user & provides robust reporting.

I tested this by deliberately infecting an unpatched test machine with WanaCry. First of all, SentinalOne blocked the initial infection attempt. I had to put S1 into "notify only" mode on that system to actually infect the machine. Once infected, WanaCry did what it does... encrypted all the documents I had copied to the test machine and put up the background.

We immediately got a notification on our dashboard that a system was infected. At the same time, we got a popup on the client machine notifying us of the infection, with the option to auto-repair the damage. It took less than a minute (granted, we only had about 200 MB of files on the test system) for S1 to repair the damage and put the machine back to normal with no evidence of the infection.

You also can't remove the client from the local machine without approving it within the dashboard. This is a nice feature to prevent tampering by either hapless users or even skilled threat actors.

What needs improvement?

Set up is very labor-intensive. You have to provide multiple codes from multiple places within the S1 dashboard in order to use the provided automation, and it's different for each client (or "sites" as they call it). It very much feels like an enterprise application that has been adapted for SMBs, but not very thoroughly. It would be better if they had a "site package" similar to the one offered by SolarWinds for the RMM. You just run the package on the client machine and done.

We have been using this solution for approximately three months.

The stability is excellent so far. Once installed, it's "set it and forget it."

Scalability is great if you're scaling up, but scaling down may prove to be challenging.

Technical support is provided for us through SolarWinds, and they're very knowledgable.

We used Bitdefender (also through SolarWinds) previously. SentinalOne was pitched by SolarWinds a few months ago as an alternative with robust ransomware protection. Being a small MSP, a single ransomware infection at a client could spell disaster for our business. We are always looking for the latest technology, but not marginal improvements.

The setup script provided by SolarWinds (proprietary to their RMM) was a little challenging to get going, but once it worked, it worked perfectly. Except it didn't run on Win7 systems because it uses Powershell commands from a later version than what's available on Win7.

The vendor team provided support, but we did the deployment.

We're making about seventy-five percent over the per-seat cost, and it's easy to sell at that price point.

The per-seat cost is low, but you have to commit to a certain number of licenses for a year.

We really hadn't seen EDR solutions in action before. Our decision was based primarily on the fact that it has SolarWinds integration.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely worth the money compared to heuristic solutions, especially for clients who tend to "stretch" their hardware as long as possible. The low impact and robust reporting go a long way to make this an easy sell, and the cost is excellent for the price point.

Massimiliano De Cò - PeerSpot reviewer
Socio Fondatore e Proprietario at 2DC srl
A stable solution that offers very good information surrounding attacks and threats

What is most valuable?

The solution offers very rich details surrounding threats or attacks.

What needs improvement?

The price is a bit high. They should make their pricing model more affordable.

The solution needs better reporting on new threats and malware. The reporting is present, but I can't find the information easily.

We are in the process of testing the solution. We've been using it for three months.

The solution is stable.

It's hard to give an impression on the stability at this time. We haven't used it on a large scale yet. We're still testing.

We haven't needed to contact technical support yet.

We are currently using Webhook as we test this new solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the public cloud deployment model.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

IT Manager at apex
Receptor is good at finding many EFC files
  • "We have a preference for their receptor. It's good at finding many EFC files. EFC files could have a virus."
  • "It's fine. It's correcting all the EFC files with a virus. All the achievements, maximum EFC files. Many EFC files will be flagged as a virus. Some virus databases need to be updated. The model is good at finding many EFC files. The trouble is it needs to be updated."

What is our primary use case?

We use the public cloud version.

What is most valuable?

We have a preference for their receptor. It's good at finding many EFC files. Normally, EFC files could have a virus, but we need to exclude some of them.

What needs improvement?

It corrects all of the EFC files with a virus. All the achievements, maximum EFC files. Many EFC files will be flagged as a virus. Some virus databases need to be updated. The model is good at finding many EFC files. The trouble is it needs to be updated.

From the client-side, some scanning and other features can be enabled for scanning viruses better. If they want to scan for an individual reason other than viruses, such as scanning for legal files, they haven't been able to gather that from the client-side.

Some features could be more user-friendly. For instance, setting restrictions in the explorer for what level one must be to use it is not user-friendly. It is difficult to find what we're searching for.

The solution is stable.

Out of ten, I would give this solution 8.5 for scalability.

When we need partners, they support us well. There have been no issues with that.

What other advice do I have?

It's okay. It's a better solution than other competitors.

I would rate this solution as nine out of ten.

Managing Partner at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Protects endpoints against malware and other threats
  • "The most valuable feature of this solution is the user-friendly interface."
  • "This solution would be more attractive to customers if the price were lower."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT company that sells solutions, and this is one of the products that we provide to our customers. We work on certain opportunities that require the capabilities of SentinelOne, but we do not use it for our own purposes.

This solution is used to protect endpoints against malware and other threats.

A lot of the deployments are hybrid. In Lebanon, the cloud is not used to a large extent. Most of the customers use on-premises solutions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the user-friendly interface. Our customers ask for something that is easy to use, easy to manipulate and doesn't require too much intervention. This is where SentinelOne scored big against CrowdStrike and Carbon Black.

This solution is easy to install.

What needs improvement?

This solution would be more attractive to customers if the price were lower.

We have been working with this solution for about one year.

The stability seems ok at this point because there is no negative feedback from the customers.

This solution is scalable and expandable with no issues.

We have support from both vendor and distributor, and up to now, it has been satisfactory. The response has been very good, which is something the customers really appreciate and is always considered a plus.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward. The deployment is very easy and very fast, taking perhaps two or three hours, depending on the size of the project.

It is a centralized deployment.

A maximum of two people are required for the setup and maintenance.

The implementation of this project is a joint effort between our team and the vendor's technical team.

What other advice do I have?

I have done POCs with this solution for two customers and there has been no negative feedback.

My advice for anybody considering this product is to do a POC and check to ensure it fits their environment. In some areas, this may be the best product to use, but in another environment, another product or another solution would be a better fit. It's always a matter of doing the POC and trying to get the most out of the product, depending on the environment.

it_user1124088 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Operations Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Offers better protection for corporate environments particularly with a lot of cloud integration and platforms like Office 365
  • "All of the features are valuable. The way that it integrates into management with fault correction capabilities over is especially valuable. Any of the full gamut of the features that it provides are useful to us."
  • "In terms of improvement, I would like to see better alerting to let us know if there is anything wrong with SentinelOne working on the endpoint of the computer."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to have as a next-generation security product for our endpoint devices.

What needs improvement?

I have been using SentinelOne for six months.

It's very stable.

It's scalable. We don't have any plans to increase usage.

We haven't had to engage with their technical support.

We were previously using another solution and it was a corporate decision to switch to this solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment took around two weeks.

We did the integration in-house.

We didn't evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I strongly recommend this solution. I would recommend that you get onto a next-generation endpoint security device like this one. It's much better protection for corporate environments particularly with a lot of cloud integration and platforms like Office 365. If you're going to start using those sort of services, then you really need a next-generation endpoint protection device like SentinelOne.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Field Technician at Sonrise Technology Solutions
Reseller
The threat timeline feature gives a breakdown of the files and network connections
  • "I have found the activity timeline and threat analysis to be particularly useful."
  • "I would like to see something a little more sophisticated than simply being able to mark a false positive as safe or there's usually just one or two options in certain areas and they're a little rudimentary at this stage."

What is our primary use case?

We're a managed service provider, so it's MSP for our clients.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The automation of certain features could use improvement. For example, it seems common sense to me that if a threat was executed out of a task in your task scheduler that part of neutralizing the threat would be removing that task from the scheduler.

I would like to see something a little more sophisticated than simply being able to mark a false positive as safe or there's usually just one or two options in certain areas and they're a little rudimentary at this stage.

In terms of stability, I've seen some issues with the deployment or decommissioning not working the way it's entirely supposed to. I've seen the same thing with other managed antivirus so it's nothing I consider unusual. Occasionally I have to go and clean up an installation or an installation that didn't go off cleanly.

The scale we operate at is pretty small. We've got less than 100 endpoints on this at the moment. Currently, I only have about 80 users.

We still use our traditional antivirus packages, Vipre and Bitdefender, depending on the customer and their use case.

The initial setup took a little bit of orientation but nothing I would consider unusual for learning a new product like this. The deployment did not take very long at all. From the time when we were introduced, got registered for all the different related sites and services it only took a couple of weeks before we could deploy without really needing to think about it. It was pretty simple.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution to make sure that you leverage the features. It's particularly very useful in sites such as the threat timeline where it gives you a breakdown of the files and network connections.

Call the SOC, the Security Operations Center, with questions. They're always proactive and very helpful but do not rely on the automation to do everything for you. I had an instance where just glancing at the activity timeline, it was very obvious to me there was something traversing the customer's network. There was an infection that was at least partially taking hold and it was worming its way through their network and I would think that the Security Operations Center should see. If they're seeing multiple infections at the same site they should have the same inference happen and call us and notify us and do something about it.  That required manual intervention and it would've been nice to get an earlier notice on it without manual review of activity by myself.

I would rate SentinelOne an eight out of ten.

IT Security Manager at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Machine learning feature enables us to identify viruses but the reporting needs improvement
  • "In the past, we were not able to identify a few viruses, but now we are able to identify them because of the machine learning feature."
  • "The reporting needs improvement and I would like to see a more granular level of administrative privileges."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for antivirus.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The machine learning module is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The reporting needs improvement and I would like to see a more granular level of administrative privileges.

The initial setup was straightforward. It wasn't a long project, it took six months.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

We don't have a plan to increase the usage, it is purely based on our business requirements.

This product is nothing but different from a traditional anti-virus. We were very apprehensive to try it. Once we tried it, it gave us a good impression.

CISO at a religious institution with 501-1,000 employees
The forensics analysis feature provides substantial help in determining the extent of a problem

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for those with access to sensitive or confidential data. The cost of the solution is prohibitive for all of our users, but we do want to make sure that those with access to critical data have higher levels of protection.

How has it helped my organization?

Users who have SentinelOne are very pleased with the solution and its protection, no complaints.

What is most valuable?

The forensics analysis feature provides substantial help in determining the extent of the problem and how it affects the machines.

What needs improvement?

The SentinelOne is one of my daily consoles and I use it regularly to identify the root cause of some infections.  However, when a file is flagged as suspicious it would be very helpful to have the system highlight precisely what event or characteristic of the file SentinelOne considers potentially dangerous.  In this way it would help focus our investigations on the specific characteristics or actions of the file.

We have had 100% uptime with the solution.

Given the way the solution works, I see no issues at all with scalability — both in the number of users or incidents as well as the degree of sophistication of the attacks.

Technical support has attended to our issues quickly and with a good sense of the need to communicate continually throughout an issue.

Yes, we continue to use Kaspersky for our other users.

The setup is very straightforward and simple. Our users who have the solution have spoken so highly about SentinelOne that other users who are not on the target list ask if they too can use the solution.

Our in-house team implemented the solution, working with our local engineers in the different countries where we have offices.

The pricing is rather elevated. However, the solution is the most transparent for the uses I have ever encountered as well as being normally very informative and accurate for our engineers.

We evaluated several other options, including Bromium, Carbon Black, CrowdStrike, Cylance, Forcepoint, Invincea, and some others.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the budget, this is a top-notch solution. We have used the solution for over a year now, and we plan to continue using the solution for our most critical users (those with access to sensitive or confidential data). Truly an excellent solution.

it_user580182 - PeerSpot reviewer
Security Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Identifies Zero-day attacks, provides good visibility, and it's straightforward to use
  • "It has good visibility features and it's straightforward."
  • "There is not much flexibility in terms of policy fine-tuning. We can turn it off or turn it on, but, there's nothing much else to do. Everything is predefined. It's good in a way, but you don't get much flexibility if you want to do something particular."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for policy fine-tuning.

How has it helped my organization?

SentinelOne uses behavioral analysis and artificial intelligence to detect unknown malware. That is what all enterprises require today. They don't want to go with some normal anti-malware tool, which has less sophisticated detection. Even if something suspicious or a Zero-day enters the environment, SentinelOne will be able to identify it.

What is most valuable?

It has good visibility features and it's straightforward. It's not so complex.

What needs improvement?

There is not much flexibility in terms of policy fine-tuning. We can turn it off or turn it on, but there's nothing much else to do. Everything is predefined. It's good in a way, but you don't get much flexibility if you want to do something particular.

Less than one year.

We do not have any issues with stability at the moment. Before I joined the company, I heard that there were some issues with the agent, that they were having some performance issues, a portlet application was crashing. There were minor issues which are fine now.

In my organization, we are planning to deploy some 30,000 agents. I would say that it's scalable. I don't see any problem with scalability.

What other advice do I have?

I just had a conversation with a colleague who has bought McAfee ePO. He was saying that he was able to do much more in that tool than in SentinelOne. For example, he mentioned that he was able to see traffic on a particular port on a particular system, using ePO. We cannot do that using SentinelOne. In this tool, everything is already in place and there's not much that we can do.

Jestoni Paglinawan - PeerSpot reviewer
System Engineer at a tech services company
Reseller
It has provided overall endpoint status visibility
  • "SentinelOne’s Rollback is its best feature."
  • "They could add “right click>scan” where most users were trained to do so in handling flash drives."

How has it helped my organization?

Before it was a challenge for us to know who had an existing endpoint issue or who had the most attacks within the corporate network. Since SentinelOne was introduced, it has provided overall endpoint status visibility for us. Giving us the ability to easily pinpoint endpoints which had the most attacks and respond at a faster rate.

What is most valuable?

SentinelOne’s Rollback is its best feature. No solution can ever provide a 100% protection, but their rollback feature closes this gap in endpoint security giving end users a ray of hope in the event of a worst case scenario endpoint breach, especially in ransomware attacks.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve their UI and the way they show that the scanning is running on the endpoint. Sometimes users wanted to see whether their AV is working via visual context.

Also, add remote code execution via the management console, application control, device control, and all other common features found on the legacy antiviruses. This would help administrators to fully shift from legacy to Next Gen EPP without sacrificing usable features.

There have been a few cases where the agent cannot report to the management console, thus this requires a manual restart of the agent via a command prompt.

There are no problems with scalability, I could say that the product is easily scalable, since it is not limited to a physical server.

The technical support is quick and very helpful. They often response within the day or by the next business day.

As of now, SentinelOne still serves as an augmentation for our existing AV, but some of our devices are now using it as their sole endpoint protection.

The setup is very easy and straightforward. It is just like installing an ordinary program and it automatically reports back to the management console.

The price for it is very competitive compared to other Next Gen EPP. You can really get a great value for it when it is integrated with EDR.

No, since we already had experience with other products. As of today, we have tested one of its competitor using AI, but their overall protection still cannot be compared to how SentinelOne protects your endpoint.

What other advice do I have?

They have an impressive product.

Understand how endpoint protection technologies work, since they do not rely on signature databases anymore. Also, follow deployment guidelines, such as initially deploying it in their production environment using a monitor only policy and giving the agents maturity of at least one to two weeks to allow the management console to build a solid behavior base for their environment.

it_user768165 - PeerSpot reviewer
Account Director
Reseller
  • "The solution can search for hidden and dormant threats on encrypted traffic in your environment."
  • "Deployment strategy for large organizations that do not use active directory (AD)."

What is most valuable?

If I am breached, they will pay the ransom on my behalf.

Cybercrime is growing in the world of technology, the defense in today’s world has no accountability. If breached, all that is said is that it is zero-day, and you still pay license fees to those vendors. The solution can search for hidden and dormant threats on encrypted traffic in your environment.

How has it helped my organization?

With automation, the time wasted on malware, like ransomware, is dealt with on a scale where everything is centralized. The IT Technician does not have to wait for a user to bring the machine to IT, as all they need is an active internet connection.

What needs improvement?

• Deployment strategy for large organizations that do not use active directory (AD).
  • Windows updates have not been done on the client side, so minimum requirements stop the installation.

One year.

None.

None.

Excellent, they have customized reports on threats in our environment that we do not have knowledge of.

Yes, Sophos, I switched because SentinelOne does more things and guarantees against ransomware and can find hidden threats that other solution could not find.

It is both straightforward and complex to install.

Machines on Windows 10 are easy and seamlessly installed.

Users machines that are not updated require updates to be done first before the solution can be installed.

Spend money on the security for the endpoint. That is where the data lies and where hackers try an attack, not the network or firewalls.

Sophos, AVG, Avast, McAfee, Kaspersky, and ESET.

What other advice do I have?

Ask about accountability for hidden and dormant threats that could be in your network.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Reseller and Platinum partner of the solution through Cyber Intelligent Systems.
Business Development at a tech services company
Solution with competitive pricing which has the capacity to prevent new threats
  • "Its capacity to prevent new threats."
  • "The management console."

How has it helped my organization?

We have been protecting more than 100 companies (with no infections) since the product was installed.

What is most valuable?

• The rollback functionality.
  • Its capacity to prevent new threats.

What needs improvement?

The management console.

Nine months.

Very fast and accurate.

Yes, Kaspersky Lab. They don't have a good next gen endpoint in order to protect against new threats.

Very easy. You can start your deploy with a single executable file or a massive deployment (GPO, etc.) with a MSI.

The price is competitive, if you compare it with other solutions on the market.

Sophos Intercept X, Cylance, Traps and a few more.

What other advice do I have?

It's very important to understand how industry-wide endpoint security solutions work to avoid possible issues.

Download our free SentinelOne Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022