IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

SAP Portfolio and Project Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP Portfolio and Project Management is #9 ranked solution in top Project Portfolio Management tools. PeerSpot users give SAP Portfolio and Project Management an average rating of 8 out of 10. SAP Portfolio and Project Management is most commonly compared to Planisware: SAP Portfolio and Project Management vs Planisware. SAP Portfolio and Project Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.

Download the Project Portfolio Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is SAP Portfolio and Project Management?
Portfolio Management integrates information from existing project management, human resources, and financial systems to provide an overview of the project portfolio with easy drilldown to details for portfolio managers, project managers, and resource managers. This enables innovative and collaborative, cross-functional business processes. Project Management covers the entire range of project management activities in development and consultancy projects, from planning to implementation to project completion.

SAP Portfolio and Project Management was previously known as Portfolio and Project Management.

SAP Portfolio and Project Management Customers
Joy Global Inc., Citrix, EMC Corporation, Concho Resources, Concho Resources, RZD Russian Railways, Family Dollar Stores Inc., Lenovo
SAP Portfolio and Project Management Video

Archived SAP Portfolio and Project Management Reviews (more than two years old)

Client Account Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The project tracking and dashboards are really useful and deeply valuable for our group

What is our primary use case?

Manage large and complex CapEx engineering projects to keep track of project and budget, along with powerful dashboards for decision-making processes.

How has it helped my organization?

With SAP Portfolio and Project Management we were able to have a full track of project progress and get useful insights about our projects.

What is most valuable?

Definitely the project tracking and the dashboards are really useful and deeply valuable for our group.

What needs improvement?

The product itself could have an advanced analytics layer with an improved user interface that is adapted to the new digital era.
Project Portfolio Management
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about SAP, Microsoft, Broadcom and others in Project Portfolio Management. Updated: June 2022.
610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Three to five years.
it_user572592 - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Leader at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Can be used for different business units such as IT, finance, and R&D.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

• Easy initiative management
  • Easy stage-gate methodology
  • Follows up from beginning to end of an initiative or a project element
  • Integrates with other SAP solutions
  • Traces between initiatives and projects without losing any data
  • Gets information about finance and capacity planning
  • Can be used for different business units such as IT, finance, and R&D

How has it helped my organization?

It reduces the time spent on the valuation by 40%. You can access the information without any third-party solutions. This is all done in the initiative.

Users ask these questions every day:

• How are things going with my initiatives?
  • What is happening to them?

With this tool, you can:

• Identify problems in project execution, risk management, and scope changes.
  • Receive clear reports from different objects.

What needs improvement?

The solution can be improved by:

• Initiative and item prioritization
  • More standardized reports
  • Standard workflow for stage-gates or decision points
  • Complete status schema for all objects
  • More flexibility to refer budget into financial planning

I would also like them to include "consulting solutions" into the standard functionality. Most of the complex solutions of SAP PPM come from "consulting solutions" that are implemented as an additional feature with a fixed price. This cannot happen anymore. Functionality has to be placed into the standard solution in order to compete with other PPM solutions.

In addition, this solution can be improved by using it along with different SAP solutions, such as with the SAP PLM (Product Lifecycle Management) platform product. When using SAP PLM with SAP PPM, you can improve any business process and give support to all areas.

We have used this solution for six years.

I did not encounter any important scalability issues. There were some functionality issues, but the new version has solved a lot of them.

I would give technical support the highest possible rating.

My company previously used SAP Project System (PS) without any success.

The initial support package of version 5.0 has some setup difficulties.

The pricing and licensing are typical of SAP products. SAP PPM has an RDS solution with a fixed scope and a low price.

There are other SAP solutions, such as SAP Commercial Project Management (CPM) for client projects. There are other types of PPM software from different companies, but only SAP PPM integrates with other SAP solutions.

What other advice do I have?

The SAP PPM software is a very complete solution. You need to read about it and investigate all of the processes so you can get the most service from your implementation.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a SAP Partner and we give assessments of different software and technology solutions.
Download our free Project Portfolio Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about SAP, Microsoft, Broadcom, and more!
Updated: June 2022