Ruckus Wireless WAN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Ruckus Wireless WAN is the #2 ranked solution in top Wireless WAN tools. PeerSpot users give Ruckus Wireless WAN an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Ruckus Wireless WAN is most commonly compared to Ubiquiti Wireless: Ruckus Wireless WAN vs Ubiquiti Wireless. Ruckus Wireless WAN is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 45% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 19% of all views.
Ruckus Wireless WAN Buyer's Guide

Download the Ruckus Wireless WAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Ruckus Wireless WAN?

Ruckus Wireless’s WAN (Wide Area Network) suite of switches and solutions provides companies and organizations with a wide variety of products that enable them to deploy and manage the kinds of WANs that best meet their needs. Ruckus Wireless is a leader in the field of WAN creation, deployment, and management. Their solutions are designed with the user in mind. They are sleek products and solutions that are easy for administrators to use and maintain. This makes it a valuable suite for any and every kind of industry. The level of ease that it provides makes it possible for companies and organizations to reap a high level of benefit from whichever product they choose to use.

Ruckus Wireless WAN Benefits

Some of the benefits of using the Ruckus Wireless WAN suite of switches and solutions include:

• Simplified network deployment and management. Ruckus Wireless WAN uses Campus Fabric technology to create a streamlined network creation and management process. This technology takes many of the processes used to create and manage networks that usually require many different solutions and combines them so that a single solution can accomplish the same amount of work.
  • The ability to operate on a massive scale. The Ruckus Wireless SmartZone 100 solution gives administrators the power to handle 1,024 access points and 25,000 users from a single device. Companies can operate at a high level with fewer devices than their competitors require to accomplish a similar level of work.
  • Ease of use. Solutions like RuckusZoneDirector 1200 can be easily deployed and used by administrators who may not have a background in the use of wireless solutions. Companies that choose Ruckus Wireless WAN do not need to train administrators to deploy it. This makes it extremely valuable to companies looking to keep their budgets to a minimum.

Ruckus Wireless WAN Features

Organizations that choose to use the Ruckus Wireless WAN suite of switches and solutions have a large number of capabilities from which they can choose.

• Centralized network management.  Ruckus Wireless WAN’s RUCKUS Network Director feature enables administrators to manage their networks from a single location. All of the controls and data that users need to monitor and control the network can be managed from one interface.
  • Advanced security features. Ruckus Wireless WAN has the capability to encrypt and demand that traffic that is trying to pass through the network be authenticated before it is allowed access. This protects the data that leaves the network and the network itself.

• Seamless interoperability. The various solutions and products that make up Ruckus Wireless’s WAN solution suite have the ability to integrate and operate together seamlessly. Users can mix and match solution pieces to best fit their needs.

Reviews from Real Users

Ruckus Wireless’s WAN suite is a truly versatile selection of solutions that offer users a complete package of capabilities and features. This suite makes it possible for users to meet all of their networking needs. Their wireless access points are the kind that is mostly employed in industries like resorts, which have to cater to large volumes of people over extended periods of time. They provide companies with the highest possible level of coverage. Users working in any number of fields would find Ruckus Wireless to be up to the task of handling their networking needs. This suite is appropriate for large corporations and small businesses alikes.

An information technology project manager at a university writes, “The actual wireless access points themselves are very powerful. We get very good coverage from just one access point.  The throughput is very good and the centralized management is excellent.  Also, the ease of deployment is very good.”

A video conferencing administrator at a technology services company states, “The solution is suitable for many types of environments, such as small businesses.

Ruckus Wireless WAN Customers

American University of Sharjah, Dordt College, Drew University, Lamar University, Raroa School

Ruckus Wireless WAN Video

Archived Ruckus Wireless WAN Reviews (more than two years old)

IT PM at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Powerful access points with good coverage and throughput, with responsive support
  • "The actual wireless access points themselves are very powerful."
  • "Of course, we'd always like it to be cheaper, but that's for every product."

What is our primary use case?

We are a University and use this solution for our staff and students.

What is most valuable?

The throughput is very good and the centralized management is excellent.

Also, the ease of deployment is very good.

What needs improvement?

There's nothing that anyone else is doing that the Ruckus doesn't do.

If you compare to the market, I don't see room for improvement, to be honest. There's nothing feature-wise that I see with Ruckus that I think can be improved at the moment.

Of course, we'd always like it to be cheaper, but that's for every product.

I have been working with Ruckus Wireless WAN for six years.

Ruckus Wireless WAN
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Ruckus Wireless WAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's a stable solution.

It's scalable, just as we expected it to be.

We have 30,000 to 40,000 users.

Technical support is excellent. They are very responsive, very flexible, and willing to listen to the customer.

If we do have issues, we get escalated to senior support very quickly.

It takes approximately three months to deploy.

We have a network team of approximately six people who not only support wireless, they support switches, firewalls, and load balancers.

We have six people who support Ruckus as well as other areas. Three to four percent of the time, they are supporting issues with Ruckus.

It's expensive but you get more coverage.

Approximately five years ago, we compared Ruckus with five other products in the market.

Even though the wireless access points are expensive, they tend to give you three times more coverage. We ended up with far fewer access points to support.

Some of the solutions we evaluated were Cisco, Aruba, HPE, and Juniper.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution and tell others to use this product.

It's fantastic! I would rate Ruckus Wireless WAN a nine out of ten.

Head of Corporate Accounts at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
A reliable solution with good coverage that is easy to deploy, but some analytics features would be helpful
  • "The most valuable features are the ease of deployment, the coverage that it offers, and the reliability."
  • "It would be nice to some analytical features built into this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are an enterprise-level service provider and we supply this product to our customers for Wi-Fi solutions. We have positioned Rukus to provide wireless coverage for both the enterprise community and the public.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ease of deployment, the coverage that it offers, and the reliability. Overall, it's quite a good product.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to some analytical features built into this solution.

I have been work with Ruckus Wireless WAN for more than five years.

We have not had trouble with stability and the devices are always working.

The degree of scalability depends on the model. We have local controllers, as well as cloud options. For seamless scalability, the cloud options are better because the local controllers have a limit on the number of IPs that we can connect. The only way to exceed the maximum is to upgrade to another model.

I have not been in contact with technical support because it would be our technical team who deals with them if any issues arise.

We also provide a Meraki solution to some of our customers. The Meraki is mobile-based, where you just have to press a button on the AP and once the configuration is done, you are connected to the cloud. It is more suitable for a distributed network.

The initial setup and deployment are easy.

What other advice do I have?

We have not yet tested the integration with other devices such as cameras and IoT, but we are looking forward to seeing how Ruckus works with these types of devices.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Ruckus Wireless WAN
November 2022
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Managing Director at SiT Global GmbH
Reseller
Simple to use, great for outdoor usage and easy to disguise
  • "The most valuable aspect of the solution is the size of the outdoor access points. It's great and you can disguise them quite well."
  • "The pricing, when compared to Ubiquiti, isn't competitive enough. If you want to have a Government or Public sector client they will ask why they should pay 200 euros if they can get something for 40 euros."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is mainly used by carriers or for government usage. It's not really designed for normal usage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the size of the outdoor access points. It's great and you can disguise them quite well.

The solution is quite simple to use.

The virtual controller is doing a fine job.

For outdoor usage, I prefer Ruckus. It's the best of all the solutions.

What needs improvement?

The only issue with the solution is that there is quite a lot of strong competition. It's very difficult to get a government or large public enterprise to buy Ruckus or Aruba over, say, Ubiquiti, which is the standard here. For example, we just lost a Ruckus deal against Ubiquiti.

At this stage, there are only minor improvements needed. Overall it's a very good product.

I've been using the solution for two to three years. However, I only use it occasionally. It's very rare that I actually use the product.

We've had absolutely zero technical issues. The solution is very stable. It's worked fine ever since the integration entered into ClearPass. Ever since then, the radius attributes work fine now.

We haven't had any issues with scalability. The solution has been fine in that sense.

I haven't been in regular contact with technical support. The last time I might have contacted them was about three years ago. We had an issue when we were trying to integrate Ruckus into ClearPass on Aruba into the ClearPass radio system. That was solved, however. The issue was that at the time Ruckus didn't accept all the attributes.

These days, it's my understanding that they are very good at assisting clients. We're satisfied with their level of service when we need to work with them.

Integration, if you're lucky, only takes a week or less.

We're implementors as well as resellers. We handle the implementation for our clients.

The pricing, when compared to Ubiquiti, isn't competitive enough. If you want to have a Government or Public sector client they will ask why they should pay 200 euros if they can get something for 40 euros.

What other advice do I have?

We're Ruckus reseller and implementors.

This solution is very high-quality. I'd advise other organizations to look for the best solutions for their situation. However, I know how difficult this is to sell. It's difficult to sell quality when organizations just want to see the price tag. This is especially true in the government and public sector, that are always constrained by budgets.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

It's a very good product. It's a high-end product and it plays in the right league. We do have customers who are willing to spend money, but it's very difficult to find these jobs nowadays.

it_user1255791 - PeerSpot reviewer
System Engineer/Network Engineer at SevenGate
Covers high density areas and each action point can hold a high number of concurrent clients
  • "The technical features are very good and it's very useful if you need a wireless solution."
  • "They could include a firewall feature in the next release but even there it's not really necessary"

What is our primary use case?

We use Ruckus to cover high-density areas with wireless solutions. This includes schools, airports, and anything in high-density areas. We have somewhere between 50 to 100 customers and they are mainly IT admins, IT managers, schools, hotels, universities, and army.

What is most valuable?

It's the coverage that is the most valuable feature, better than what Cisco or Aruba have, better than any other brand. And the number of concurrent clients that each action point can hold is very high.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any area that needs improvement. It's an easy product to use, the dashboards and interface are very good.

They could include a firewall feature in the next release but even there it's not really necessary because if you have a wireless solution you have a firewall and all the network components. But if I have to come up with something that needs improved, it would be the firewall.

We've been using the latest version of the product for the past two years.

It's a very stable product.

It's a very scalable product.

The technical support is very good.

I have previously worked with Meraki and Aruba. We switched to Ruckus because it's more stable and easier. The technical features are very good and it's very useful if you need a wireless solution, it's very good. A good point about Aruba is that the firewall is better than what Ruckus has. But if you need a wireless solution, Ruckus is very good.

The initial setup is very straightforward. You just move from one step to the next and then it's done. It's very good. I did the setup myself, as a technical person I have that experience and can do it myself. If you need some assistance, technical support can help.

I don't know about the price because I'm a technical person. I'm not in sales so I don't know how it's priced.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product a nine out of 10. It's wonderful.

AbdulrahmanAlshehri - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Consultant at Asasbin
A reasonably priced solution that is easy to set up and expand
  • "The most valuable feature is the ease of adding an access point."
  • "Integration with AirMagnet, the design software, would be good because it takes the layout of a building and positions the access points accordingly, based on the areas and the construction materials."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to provide network access points.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of adding an access point. Even a kid can do it. If the zone director is set up then adding an access point would just require it be accepted using the MAC address, and that's it.

What needs improvement?

User access control is done through a third-party, RADIUS, which is not an easy system for IT professionals to use. It is used by larger enterprises, so if you want to deploy on a small to medium scale then you definitely require integration from Microsoft.

In the next release, I would like to see better integration with other products. Integration with AirMagnet, the design software, would be good because it takes the layout of a building and positions the access points accordingly, based on the areas and the construction materials. Active integration with AirMagnet would be very useful.

There should be support for a local database in the zone directory for people who do not want to use the RADIUS access server.

I have been working with Ruckus Wireless WAN for two and a half years.

This solution is very stable.

This is a very scalable solution where adding an access point is trivial.

Our customers are small to medium in size and include organizations such as hotels and large offices.

I am happy with the technical support. They are responsive and the turnaround time is good.

The initial setup is very easy, although that is not the important part. It's about the distribution of access points based on where wireless coverage is needed and also trying to minimize the number and size of blind points. Blind points are those places where the wireless signal is very weak or doesn't exist. The map has to be designed using third-party software, of course.

This is a wonderful product for the price.

I have evaluated solutions from both Cisco and Aruba. Ruckus does not outperform Cisco or Aruba, but they are in the same league for a much smaller price.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to get a good system integrator. Specifically, the people who design the wireless network. You want to have a good design professional who will optimize the cost and give you the best office solution.

Overall, this is a good product that is reasonably priced.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Senior Engineer at TIC
A straightforward initial setup that's stable and offers good wireless management

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use and offers good management for wireless.

What needs improvement?

The overall management of the solution in general needs improvement.

The solution could use a better user interface.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The solution is stable.

It is scalable. For our clients, the amount of users on the solution range between five and 20.

Technical support is okay.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment took us about two days.

We occasionally have a consultant that assists us with implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We're a reseller for small and medium-sized companies. We use the public cloud deployment model.

I'd recommend the solution for those who need wireless capabilities.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

it_user1008639 - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Engineer at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Good scalability but it takes time for support to reply

What needs improvement?

The support could be faster. It takes time for them to reply.

I also think the solution should be more user friendly.

We've been using this solution for a year and a half.

It is stable.

The deployment access in the local system is about 200 access points. External access points are more. The number is huge. There about 1,000 users in total.

I would rate the technical support as seven or seven and a half out of ten.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution, but we have some distrust since working with Cisco. Some users may have had a problem and some haven't.

I would rate the solution overall as about seven out of ten.

Mujeeb Ahmed - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Great management features and easy to set up
  • "The feature I like most, is the product activity."
  • "I would like to see built-in Wi-Fi."

What is most valuable?

The feature I like most is the product activity. This is a technology-orientated product and the management features are awesome as compared to other products. I like the management, control, access points, plane, data plane, and complete Wi-Fi productivity if offers.

What needs improvement?

Most vendors offer built-in Wi-Fi. So from this point of view, I would like to see built-in Wi-Fi with this solution also, so that we can save money by not having to buy two different components. I would also like to see built-in firewalls.

One thing about Ruckus products is that you have documentation based on the scenarios. All the documentation features are explained well, so when you try to figure out some examples or scenarios, you have multiple scenarios and snapshots to follow so that you can build your own setup. I didn't find that kind of documentation with this solution from Ruckus. For the switches perspective as well as the Wi-Fi perspective. The documentation from other vendors like Huawei, Cisco, Aruba are very unique. What they do, is to start with the technology, and then they explain everything to you step by step. Then they give some scenario examples.

Another thing that Ruckus lacks, is the certification part. They have very basic online exams but not expert level exams. I would like to be able to do a very professional career-based program with Ruckus.

The last thing that needs to improve, is to have direct contact with a support engineer if one has technical issues.

I have been using the solution for two years.

It is a perfect, reliable product. As soon as it was deployed, it worked well and we didn't have any issues with it. The management of the solution is very easy.

I signed up for a total of 1000 users, as the companies that we deploy for, are either small, medium or enterprise businesses. So far the solution has been scalable.

I'm totally satisfied with the technical support. They're very responsive. One thing that can be improved, is that whenever I need to contact the engineer, there is no contact. I have an open case with the Ruckus team so I must be able to contact an operator or someone in online chat. At this stage, they only do a proxy for us. They just take our information and then they talk to the engineers directly. Then they come back to us whenever they are available. Sometimes we need immediate support, so we would like to have direct communication. I have noticed this and some of our customers also complain about that.

The initial setup is easy and straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

In the next release, I would like to see a better and easier firewall for proper scanning of our network analyzer. At this stage, it is analyzing my complete traffic on the protocol level and then I have to analyze and spend a lot of time to understand my existing traffic flow. So it is very time-consuming. On a scale from one to 10, I rate it a 10 out of 10. This solution is a complete product and the best product out there.

Project Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good dashboards, performance, and efficiency in the RF spectrum
  • "The performance of this solution is amazing in terms of radiofrequency technology."
  • "The captive portal should be more customizable because right now, it is very limited."

What is our primary use case?

We supply this solution to provide our clients with wireless network support.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is quite good.

What needs improvement?

Ruckus is not keeping up with the features that some of the competitors have implemented.

Compared to other vendors, the analytics has to improve a lot.

We would like to see support for different captive portals with the basic solution.

The captive portal should be more customizable because right now, it is very limited. You can only change the icon. The market is asking for more improved captive portals.

Support for multiple tenants or multiple users with ZoneDirector would be an improvement.

We have been working with this solution for seven or eight years.

This is a stable solution.

We are comfortable with the scalability. We have no complaints.

The technical support for this solution is good. We have email access to the platform.

We used another solution prior to this one, but we switched because of the radio. That's our biggest concern and why we recommend Ruckus to our customers.

The initial setup of this solution is pretty easy.

What other advice do I have?

This technology is really good.

This is a solution that I recommend, but there are a lot of features that they have to get into the solution. However, the first and main topic is the radio and efficiency in the spectrum.

If the customer wants additional features or the budget is a concern then we will recommend another solution.

Abubaker Musa - PeerSpot reviewer
Information and Communication Technologies Engineer at Ascenx Technologies
Easy to install, Stable Wireless connection, but marketing needs to expand to other areas
  • "I made some comparisons with other competitors and I found that Ruckus was number one in regards to stability."
  • "I have some friends who have not heard of Ruckus, but are aware of other competitors."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used in our hotel as an access point to connect our guests on the internet.

The deployment model we used is on-premises.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the indoor and outdoor wireless access points.

What needs improvement?

I hope that they will be expanding the market. I have some friends who have not heard of Ruckus but are aware of other competitors. They should expand it in the Middle East and other areas and make offers for others to make comparisons.

I would like to see more offers for smaller businesses.

I have been using this solution for one year.

This solution is stable.

You could have two hundred or more users. Cisco has a higher capability of users, they can have about five hundred users.

They have no problems with technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward.

I took some training beforehand and the setup was easy, it is not as complicated as others.

This solution offers a yearly subscription. The price is not high and other solutions are much higher than Ruckus.

I made some comparisons with other competitors and I found that Ruckus was number one in regards to stability.

What other advice do I have?

I really like this solution and it is recognized here in Riyadh Airport, most of the WiFi is with Ruckus, not with Cisco or any other solution.

One of the largest Airports in Saudi Arabia is using the Ruckus Wireless WiFi as an access point. It means it's a genuine, reliable solution.

In Saudi Arabia we have a lot of outdoor WiFi and it's recognized through Ruckus, Cisco and sometimes Linksys.

Unfortunately, at work, they are using Linksys. I am an IT engineer and I have used Ruckus as a WiFi access point for all of the hotels. It can be connected directly to the wireless access controller and making this a firewall for the DMZ and the client just enters the WiFi with a password.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Network Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Good analytics and works well in a hospitality solution
  • "The analytic solution is good and should be improving further."
  • "This product needs a point-to-point, bridge solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the solutions that we implement for our customers.

This solution works best as a high-efficiently access point in high-density areas.

How has it helped my organization?

Ruckus works very well for hospitality solutions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the software infrastructure.

The analytic solution is good and should be improving further.

What needs improvement?

The technical support for this solution needs to be improved.

This product needs a point-to-point, bridge solution. The network access controls should be improved.

The Cloudpath feature should be improved.

We have been using this solution since 2011.

This solution is very stable in my opinion.

Ruckus technical support was the best when compared to others, such as Cisco.

When you have an issue you are chatting with an engineer. They are also able to connect remotely, and it doesn't matter if you are a technical person, or not. They take you through the process step-by-step and they get to the issue.

However, lately, the quality of support has been decreasing, so this needs to be improved. The problem is that the first engineer you speak with for support has less experience. The first one that you speak to can be a little bit better.

Overall, I would rate their support a seven or eight out of ten.

I have had experience with a lot of different brands over the past fifteen years.

Ruckus still has some work to do if they want to compete with Aruba and Cisco, except in the case of a high-efficiency access point in high-density areas, which is where Ruckus is the best.

The initial setup and configuration of this solution are easy. Ruckus is the easiest vendor in the market.

I am impressed with the point-to-point bridge solution that is offered by Cambium networks.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, Ruckus is the best wireless company. They have recently joined forces with CommScope, and are facing some positive changes because of it.

Overall, this solution is ok and one that I recommend.

MashukThakur - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Wireless Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Good performance, data throughput, reliability, and technical support
  • "The performance is very nice, the throughput is better than any other product, and it's reliable."
  • "The pricing needs to be reconsidered because it's expensive."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is wireless networking for small businesses.

What is most valuable?

On the technical side, it is very easy to troubleshoot. I am working with an ISP and we provide the service to the customers and we monitor it for troubleshooting tasks. Ruckus is much easier than other products.

I have checked with other vendors and for a cloud-based service, Ruckus the fastest and the easiest.

What needs improvement?

The pricing needs to be reconsidered because it's expensive.

I have been using this solution for three years.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

The support is good. It is not a problem to open a ticket with Ruckus for Technical Support.

I have been in this field for fifteen years. At first, I started with Cisco then to Aruba, and in the last three years, I started working with Ruckus.

I am frequently working with these three products, and as recent as last week, I have started with Fortinet.

The initial setup is very nice and it's straightforward.

The solution is a little pricey, so customers sometimes select other products because of the price.

They have other cheaper models, but compared to other cheaper solutions it is not the best.

What other advice do I have?

I will always ask customers first if they have a specific vendor in mind and if they say no, then I always refer them to the Ruckus solution because of the technical aspects.

I am not involved in sales or the pricing but it's expensive.

It has very good speed, for the current user, the quantity is more. Ruckus is the first vendor who has declared access by live access points.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free Ruckus Wireless WAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022