Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Polarion ALM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Polarion ALM is #8 ranked solution in top Enterprise Agile Planning Tools and #11 ranked solution in top Application Lifecycle Management Suites. PeerSpot users give Polarion ALM an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Polarion ALM is most commonly compared to Jira: Polarion ALM vs Jira. Polarion ALM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 78% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a manufacturing company, accounting for 23% of all views.
Polarion ALM Buyer's Guide

Download the Polarion ALM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Polarion ALM?

The world’s first 100% browser-based ALM enterprise solution, which enables seamless collaboration across disparate teams, multi-directionally linked work items, full traceability, accelerated productivity and automated proof of compliance.

Polarion ALM Customers

Engineering Ingegneria Informatica, IBS AG, Zumtobel Group

Polarion ALM Video

Polarion ALM Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Polarion ALM pricing:
"Our license for Polarion ALM is yearly. And it's not the cheapest tool that we've looked at. So if we had made our decision purely based on the licensing cost, we wouldn't have selected Polarion."

Polarion ALM Reviews

Software Development Manager at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
It incorporates almost all engineering tasks we need to do for one project.
  • "Polarion ALM has some valuable tools for managing our targets and requirements. I think that's its best feature."
  • "One of Polarion's shortcomings would be planning. It can handle plans, but the planning feature is very basic."

What is our primary use case?

We use Polarion ALM for development to track requirements, tasks, anomalies, project and design documentation, and other things.

How has it helped my organization?

This one tool incorporates almost all engineering tasks we need to do for one project. However, it's still not a polished solution for how we deploy it. So we cannot use it as a single solution for everything. Also, there are still some uses for which it's not recommended. But this is one of the primary tools our engineering team uses to keep track of their documentation for the project.

What is most valuable?

Polarion ALM has some valuable tools for managing our targets and requirements. I think that's its best feature. All the other features are helpful, but a lot of them don't work out of the box. In terms of planning and management, they need some work.

What needs improvement?

One of Polarion's shortcomings would be planning. It can handle plans, but the planning feature is very basic. There are third-party solutions that could be easily incorporated or built into the license. They have plugins they developed only after many customers complained about Polarion's integration with third-party repositories. Some of the repositories aren't working all the time. So it works when you set it up, but it stops working after a while, and there is nothing you can do except reset the whole server and try it again. So it's not a convenient way to deal with those issues because the solution should be up 99.9% of the time.

Another issue is Polarion's integration with external tools, including repositories for source code, mechanical design, electrical designs, etc. There should be out-of-the-box integration with different tools like Jira or things of that nature. Some of this functionality exists, but it's not so easy to set up. Polarion ALM needs more integration with external repositories, especially for source code. Most of these tools don't recommend using Polarion ALM as a repository, so you have to use Search Party or a different tool for that. And integration is not straightforward or not easy to do.

Polarion ALM
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Polarion ALM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We started with Polarion ALM over a year and a half ago.

In terms of stability, Polarion ALM is okay. Some highly stable features work and integrate with other tools out of the box. Then some are not so stable, so you have to wait for the bugs to be fixed in the new releases. The stability of other features depends entirely on the IT infrastructure because they use a lot of resources. Then again, I don't know if that's necessarily Polarion's problem or how it's deployed.

But overall, I would say Polarion is reasonably stable. We haven't had any downtime. However, there were times when we had to look for alternatives because some of the things we expect from the tool's administrative functions are not there. So you have to use specific plug-ins to be able to achieve what you need. That limits the way you can interact with the tool.

It looks like Polarion ALM is highly scalable. However, you might need to scale the team managing the tools. That's not something that most organizations are willing to do. Polarion's scalability depends on whether you have enough people to support it, so it's not necessarily the best option. It would be great if you could scale it up while easily managing and deploying it with a relatively small team. Right now, scaling up Polarion means you might need extra resources. As I said, most of the administration capabilities are not too user-friendly. It's not easy to deploy it across all projects quickly. Keep in mind that in this field, you deploy it once you have the database with everything. You cannot switch it off and then move to another server and another version with a new database next year.

And you'll have to preserve everything for, let's say, 15 years or so. So that means you have to do in-place upgrades then scale to support different templates and configurations for various projects. You'll start some projects one way and take a different approach for others. And when you change something, you'll have to support all those configurations still. You don't just apply the new configuration to everything. Sometimes, you need to apply things that are not available in the tool itself with too many projects. So you can scale, but you need lots of people to help you deploy that very fast. It's not that easy to scale once you've been working with it for a while.

I would say Polarion's support is average.

We had some older solutions that we were using in several design centers across the globe, but the solutions were running out of support. Even the vendor was switching to something else, and what they offered didn't integrate well with other tools, so we had to find a new solution. Polarion ALM was one of the solutions that the other design centers were considering. In the end, we went with it, and the local ones were phased out as the projects started using Polarion. We never planned to migrate all the old stuff because that involves extra effort and cost and might not work 100 percent. So the old solutions are still around just for the legacy projects while all new projects are on this new system.

Polarion ALM is an administration tool that is very complex. Customizing the out-of-the-box configuration for our use case requires more work administration-wise than other tools we had in the past. For some tools, one person can administer all the projects in that tool. It's a bit more complex also because it allows you to make more mistakes. And you have to manually trickle down the configuration from one item to another — it doesn't have a way to automate this administrative work easily. So you have to know your way around and pick the right thing then duplicate the same setting somewhere else. Otherwise, it is not user-friendly from the administration's point of view.

We were switching everything over from our previous solution, so initial deployment took about a little more than six months, but now many projects are using it. But we're constantly reconfiguring Polarion ALM for new projects because some things didn't work out of the box or work as expected when we started using it. So when we implemented a tool and found a bug, we had to look for alternative solutions.

Our license for Polarion ALM is yearly. And it's not the cheapest tool that we've looked at. So if we had made our decision purely based on the licensing cost, we wouldn't have selected Polarion. Like most tools of this kind, there are maintenance costs and support contracts, etc. We're also looking to purchase a different license for other plugins that add features Polarion doesn't support or do right. If the vendor doesn't plan to improve on those features, we'll look for a third-party solution for that. So all of these costs are added on top of it.

We were looking at a few options, and we all evaluated each based on what was available out of the box. But, of course, some things don't work the same when you're using them on a project as they do when you're evaluating a product. Most evaluations don't last very long, and sometimes you realize faults with a product after the review. So we had a few products that we evaluated. In the end, Polarion turned out to be a little bit better than the other tools. I can't say whether those other tools have developed more since to overtake Polarion.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I would rate Polarion ALM eight out of 10, but it depends on your intended use. If you are limiting the scope to just a few uses, it can go all the way to 10. But if you want to use it for all the aspects of the development process, my rating would go down to six. I would also point out that some other tools are easier to administer. For example, there are tools where the administrator has to do very little. In Polarion, the admin needs to make some configuration changes and modify access rights at every level. But in other tools, these configuration changes trickle down automatically on their own without the need to double-check several places before you can finally say it's all done. So administration-wise, they can improve. And the out-of-the-box features should all work as needed without a lot of tinkering.

To people considering Polarion, I would say that you need to do a thorough, extended evaluation. Make sure that you have an initial team of at least 10 or so people before moving ahead with a company-wide deployment. Of course, this depends on your company's scale and how many projects you want to support. If you're working on one project at a time, then one person can handle most of the stuff.

Private Cloud
Filip Callens - PeerSpot reviewer
Global IT Director - Mirror Division Director at Mirror Controls International
It helps us capture and validate our customer requirements
  • "Polarion ALM helps us better structure our customer requirements, and we can also validate the specs of our products against those. If anything changes on our side, we see the impact, and we can see the effect If a customer changes requirements."
  • "We use PTC Windchill, and Polarion ALM doesn't have native integration, so we had to purchase the connector to integrate it with Polarion ALM. We still haven't implemented it."

What is our primary use case?

We're an automotive company. Polarion ALM captures our customers' requirements and validates against those requirements.  We have our environment within our mother company, so only our people can see our data. I think it's called a project environment, but we have multiple projects. We work on the customer requirements and translate them into products designed here in our headquarters. Those are produced in factories across the globe.

Only the engineers and the test engineers in the headquarters will have access to Polarion. However, it is within the system of our mother company, so they have an automotive and medical project. We'll be in the automotive project, but we still coordinate with the guy managing the system. We want to make sure we're the only ones who can see our data. That is also a requirement of our audit.

How has it helped my organization?

Polarion ALM helps us better structure our customer requirements, and we can also validate the specs of our products against those. If anything changes on our side, we see the impact, and we can see the effect If a customer changes requirements.

What needs improvement?

We use PTC Windchill, and Polarion ALM doesn't have native integration, so we had to purchase the connector to integrate it with Polarion ALM. We still haven't implemented it.

We just started using Polarion ALM.

I think Polarion ALM is stable. I don't have too much experience, but I trust Siemens products. I've worked with it in training, and it looked highly stable.

I don't think it will be difficult to expand Polarion ALM to more users.

Our parent company has a group of IT guys in the United States working with support in India. They have the expertise to manage the system, but they also get consulting services from Siemens on certain topics when they need help. Our in-house support is doing all the technical support, like upgrades and providing access.

Before Polarion ALM, we used Excel.

Our mother company has deployed Polarion ALM extensively. They have this ASPICE method, but we don't need to follow that for our products. We did a basic setup to start with. We might change it later, but it's okay for now. From a strategy perspective, we started with a small team. The plan was to set something up, evaluate what we did and build on that.

We worked with a small core team of six people to decide how it would work and what we wanted to do. We'll start with a pilot team for the first customer with 14 people when we launch.

We initially did everything together with Siemens and prepared some things in a sandbox with the team. Afterward, we started configuring some stuff and selected what we wanted then moved to a test environment. We will move to a production environment in the next few weeks.

Polarion ALM helps us deliver what our customers expect.

Polarion is average for the market. It's about the same as Integrity, but the price wasn't our primary concern. It was more about functionality. Our parent company already had a contract with Siemens, so we use the licenses through them. We get a cross charge, but I'm not sure how it adds up.

We were also looking at PTC Integrity, which was a good solution, but our mother company was already using Polarion, so it made more sense to go that route.

We've been working on this project for two years. There were a lot of political discussions going on in the company. In the end, we decided to go for Polarion, but the business people all needed to be involved. They were busy, so they decided to postpone. Now we're back at it again.

We need integration with Windchill, and if our mother company didn't use Polarion, we would've gone with PTC Integrity because it is from the same vendor. We did a functional comparison between the two systems, and there wasn't much difference. They're both good systems, but we opted for Polarion with a Windchill connector.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Polarion ALM nine out of 10.

Polarion ALM
September 2022
635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Technial Lead at a transportation company with 1-10 employees
Stable with a straightforward setup and good technical support
  • "The technical support is quite good."
  • "The configuration aspect of the solution is not easy. A person needs a lot of programming knowledge in order to successfully handle the job."

What is our primary use case?

Polarion can be used typically for application lifecycle management. Typically it's used for requirement management, test case management, and defect tracking.

What is most valuable?

The product is pretty stable.

The technical support is quite good.

The initial setup is fairly straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not easy to use.

The cost of the product is quite high. They should work to bring it down a bit so it's not on the higher end of the market.

We've been using the solution for almost three years at this point.

We find the product to be very stable and reliable. However, there are a few issues with the stability that can still be ironed out.

We aren't really end-users as we're more of a consulting company. However, we do plan to continue to use it in the future.

The technical support is quite good. We've never had issues with their services in the past. We've been quite satisfied with them.

We are providing services for codeBeamer for companies that need someone who has knowledge about codeBeamer and can deploy codeBeamer. We deploy PTC Integrity, Polarion, IBM, CLM, and two other products as well. We have around nine to 10 products we use as a deployment.

Typically, the installation process is quite straightforward and not too complex. However, there are instances where it can get a bit tricky.

Typically, we provide consulting for deployment. We're the consulting company that customers use when they need assistance with deployment. We do the installation for most of our customers as well as the basic configuration so that clients can be ready to use the application.

It's a pretty expensive solution. It's one of the most expensive solutions out there.

What other advice do I have?

We're a solution provider, so we don't directly use this product. We came across this product and have deployed it for our end client. We are a deployment and development partner for various clients in the automotive industry.

We have a specific partnership with the vendor in Germany. We are not directly related to Polarion. We're a service provider for their vendor.

We are using the latest version of the solution.

I'd recommend this product to other companies, of course, depending on their requirements.

Overall, I would rate it at an eight out of ten.

Principal at a agriculture with 11-50 employees
Has a traceability linking feature and a knowledgeable, quick to respond technical support team, but its GUI scripting is time consuming
  • "The best feature of Polarion ALM to me is its traceability link."
  • "As Polarion ALM is a development-oriented tool, easy support or easy access is provided by default, but if I want to use detailed features, I need to write the script, particularly the VM script, and this is its area for improvement. I want Polarion ALM to have a graphical user interface that doesn't need scripting. In the next release of the tool, I'd like for it to not require scripting and programming because needing to run script language is time-consuming."

What is most valuable?

The best feature of Polarion ALM to me is its traceability link.

What needs improvement?

As Polarion ALM is a development-oriented tool, easy support or easy access is provided by default, but if I want to use detailed features, I need to write the script, particularly the VM script, and this is its area for improvement. I want Polarion ALM to have a graphical user interface that doesn't need scripting.

The first time I used Polarion ALM was two years ago, then I stopped using it, then two months ago, I started using the solution again.

Polarion ALM is a stable tool. I have not seen it breaking down or having issues.

I'm not sure how scalable Polarion ALM is because I only have one server and one computer for it.

The technical support for Polarion ALM is very good. I quickly get a response from the team. The support team is knowledgeable, and I would rate technical support for the tool the best score which is five out of five.

I used the classic DOORS and when you compare it to Polarion ALM, DOORS has an old interface. Polarion ALM has a newer interface and newer, more updated features than DOORS.

Whether Polarion ALM is easy or complex to set up depends on the installation scenario. If it's load balancing, setting the tool up is difficult, but if it's just a standalone installation on one server, the process is relatively easy. On a scale of one to five, with one being difficult and five being easy, I would rate the setup in the middle, so three out of five.

I don't have information on the price of Polarion ALM because it was the customer who purchased it.

I've evaluated IBM Rational ALM, Terralogic, Serena ALM, and the classic DOORS.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant for customers. I'm using Polarion ALM for my customer. In particular, I provide the service to my customer using Polarion ALM.

In terms of how Polarion ALM is deployed, for Japanese customers, it's on-premises because of confidentiality and sensitive information. Many Japanese do not believe in the security of cloud deployment.

My rating for Polarion ALM is eight out of ten.

Download our free Polarion ALM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022