We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Oracle WebLogic Server OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle WebLogic Server is #2 ranked solution in top Application Server tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle WebLogic Server an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle WebLogic Server is most commonly compared to Oracle Fusion Middleware: Oracle WebLogic Server vs Oracle Fusion Middleware. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 38% of all views.
What is Oracle WebLogic Server?

Oracle WebLogic Server 12c, the world’s first cloud-native, enterprise Java platform enables you to fully realize the benefits of cloud computing. Unique multitenancy capability drives massive consolidation. Lightweight microcontainer architecture drives application isolation and 100 percent portability between your private and public cloud. Multi data center high availability architecture protects against application disruption. Developer innovations with full Java EE 7 and Java SE8 support maximize DevOps productivity. Additionally, you continue to have access to the same platform on premises and in the cloud, via Oracle Java Cloud Service, which is based on Oracle WebLogic Server.

For more information on Oracle Weblogic Server, visit Oracle.com

Oracle WebLogic Server was previously known as WebLogic Application Server.

Oracle WebLogic Server Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle WebLogic Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Oracle WebLogic Server Customers
Colab Consulting Pty. Ltd., Infosys Ltd., Sascar, Banca Transilvania, UL, Center for Railway Information Systems, SPAR Austria Group, Reliance Commercial Finance, Industrial Bank of Korea, Al Jaber Group, Safe Water Kenya, Chhattisgarh Infotech and Biotech Promotion Society
Oracle WebLogic Server Video

Archived Oracle WebLogic Server Reviews (more than two years old)

Arquitecto Java at MANGO
We need complete logs for a lot of different files. It has helped us to have different clusters within different servers.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the deployment of the enterprise's internal applications.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us to have different clusters within different servers, which allows us to identify hacker attacks.

What is most valuable?

The possibility of having several servers running, so we do not lose the service.

What needs improvement?

The logs consultant, since it tends to be more in the server, we do need complete consult logs for a lot of different files.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the deployment of the enterprise's internal applications.

it_user505650
Oracle architect & senior DBA, OBIEE data analytics, warehousing & ETL specialist at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
For administration purposes, it offers a robust and easy-to-understand interface.

Valuable Features

Technologically, the product offers excellent performance and high reliability. Because it is an application platform on which applications and products are deployed, these are probably among the most important features. For administration purposes, it also offers a robust and easy-to-understand interface. Performance monitoring tools are also comprehensive.

Use of Solution

I have used it for four years.

Valuable Features

Use of Solution

I have used it for four years.

It is a complex product with many "moving parts". Installation, upgrade and patching are probably the most challenging administration tasks. Individual components may need to be upgraded to support the deployed applications, and yet these components and their patch level have to be compatible with each other. One should not underestimate the human administration requirements for the product, although these are not that far out of line when compared with similar products. This can be somewhat complex technology.

Oracle Technical Support tends to be excellent in general, and that extends to this product as well.

Initial setup is straightforward, but as noted, ongoing maintenance requires a significant investment in time, effort and technical administration expertise.

Implementation Team

As an IT consulting firm, we handled implementation in-house. A full range of in-depth skills are needed, especially in troubleshooting issues and for ongoing maintenance. One needs not only senior-level WebLogic Server experience, but also experience in the related technologies such as Java, virtual machines, Linux OS, among others.

ROI

Once again, the model for Oracle technology in general, applies to this product. For the most part, Oracle is a technology leader in the functionality of the products it delivers, such as this application server, the database server, BI and analytics and others. But they are also among the more expensive for initial licensing and for ongoing product support. The products likewise require a high level of expertise. It is clearly a high-end, enterprise-scale solution, and pricing reflects this. At the same time, absolute costs and ROI based upon successful deployment and use of technology are not exactly the same.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company, an IT consulting firm, is an Oracle Gold Partner.
Learn what your peers think about Oracle WebLogic Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Team Leader at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
When connecting to Oracle RAC Database, the Active Grid Link feature guarantees Fast Connection Failover and Connection Load Balancing.

What is most valuable?

There are many valuable features in Oracle WebLogic Server. For sure, production redeployment is one of the best, in order to deploy the new version of your application without removing the old one. Also, Exalogic optimizations provide the best performance for I/O and thread management when using WebLogic Server on Oracle Engineered Systems. Finally, the Active Grid Link datasource: When connecting to Oracle RAC Database, it guarantees Fast Connection Failover and Connection Load Balancing.

Another important feature is workload separation that can be achieved using custom Work Managers or Multitenancy (in the new 12.2 version).

How has it helped my organization?

Thanks to WLST, we were able to standardize the deployment of standard WebLogic components (for example, JMS server, migratable targets, datasources, ...).

So, we can improve the quality of change management and reduce the time and the effort needed. We use also WLST to stop/start WebLogic domains and we apply best practices after domain creation.

What needs improvement?

The one thing I really miss is the possibility to define a metric extension (on Enterprise Manager) that uses a custom WLST script on a managed server target.

Oracle WebLogic Server is not fully integrated with Oracle Enterprise Manager. Most of the operations are available from Enterprise Manager, but you still need the WebLogic Administration Console as a graphical interface.

Oracle Weblogic Server has its own web interface (Administration Console) to monitor/change the configuration of a weblogic domain.

Not all the operations can be done using Enterprise Manager Cloud Control, but, in particular, I would like to create metric extensions using wlst scripts to implement custom metrics.

I have used it for about five years. We started with the 10.3.3 release.

The most critical issue is with Oracle Service Bus. There are limitations for configuration or deployment changes in production environments; in particular, when activating changes in SB Console, during high load, sometime deadlocks are generated inside the JVM, which requires restarting the JVM itself.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is 7/10.

Technical support is 7/10.

We use different kinds of application servers. The choice of type depends on the situation and on the environment.

The basic installation is simple. The Configuration Wizard helps you to easily create your domain.

After that, you need to define a set best practices (JDBC transaction log, active grid link datasource, JTA and so on).

We implemented it by ourselves.

WebLogic provided the foundation to install ExaLogic.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

If you are interested in Oracle Fusion Middleware products (Business Intelligence, Oracle Service Bus, Identity Management, etc.), I suggest before installing a standard WebLogic Server: investigate the installation, the configuration, the high availability and backup/restore. Also don't forget to apply patchset updates and recommended patches, to avoid known bugs or issues.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company, Bridge Consulting, is an Oracle partner and has been since 1998.
Tolulope A. Adeniji
Oracle Fusion Middleware Consultant at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
WLST makes it easier to automate deployments.

Valuable Features:

Administrative console, Work Manager, WebLogic Config Wizard, Node Manager, WebLogic Scripting Tool (WLST).

Improvements to My Organization:

• Work Manager in WebLogic Server helped a lot in making it easy to manage application access and utilisation of JVM resources and also help in prioritising requests.
  • WLST makes it easier to automate deployments, application configuration etc.

Use of Solution:

6 years

Stability Issues:

Stability was an issue in earlier versions, it was sometimes difficult to bring up the server whenever it goes down, which seldom happens. But there was great improvement as new versions were released.

Initial Setup:

WebLogic setup and deployment is very user friendly and easy to implement.

Implementation Team:

I have always worked with Oracle partners and we usually implement for clients. Implementation is relatively easy.

ROI:

WebLogic initial cost (acquisition and implementation) is relatively expensive, but I believe it's worth its price and the long-term benefits are enormous.

Other Solutions Considered:

I have used other products but I always find WebLogic Server superior to the others especially because of the management tools that are bundled with it.

Other Advice:

I'll advise potential customers to go for this product, especially large enterprises.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I have always worked for Oracle partners.
it_user480237
Group Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Historically the default standard of financial systems and our systems interlock with them.

Valuable Features

We're using the web server very tightly and operating the Java E7 specifications. The most important point for the prime web server is to operate Java E7. WebLogic is historically the default standard of financial systems and our systems interlock with them. I think that WebLogic is best application server, the E7 system.

Improvements to My Organization

The web server is just a Java E7 application server. But a special point is the operational functions, especially for the mission controls, and enterprise managers, and some easier management functions.

Room for Improvement

We are satisfied with the current functionality, but I am concerned about the future of Java E8 and 9. Also the server, the EJB and the RMI, OOP and maybe a T3 protocol in the WebLogic server and the next Java E specifications. The financial systems are increasingly in our company now using RMI over OOP protocols, so we need more support for the future efforts with OOP.

It's basically stable, but sometimes runs out of memory.

We're now using a binary WebLogic server without coherence so the in-memory replication we are operating, sometimes fail. So we are now continuous rebooting, once a week.

We're pleased with the support.

Other Advice

I believe WebLogic is the most important application server.

it_user240660
Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Gives us two main features that we use the most and which are the most valuable to us: the administration console and clustering.

Valuable Features:

WebLogic Server gives us two main features that we use the most and which are the most valuable to us:

• Administration console - Compared to open source application servers, the WLS administration console is quite complete in terms of features. It would be easier for developers and sysadmins to manage, monitor and config the app server from an administration console.
  • Clustering - The clustering capability is also pretty robust.

Room for Improvement:

I'd like to have a lighter version for micro-service architecture. In my experience, it can sometimes take 15-30 minutes just to start the server if we deploy a lot of applications. I think this may be in the latest version, although I'm not sure.

Use of Solution:

I've been using it for three to four years.

Deployment Issues:

We had no issues with the deployment.

Stability Issues:

We've had no issues with the stability.

Scalability Issues:

There have been no issues scaling it for our needs.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup was pretty straightforward, but my advice would be to read the documentation first. Their documentation is very comprehensive and contain basic tips for installation and tuning the products.

Implementation Team:

I implemented as part of a vendor team. I have seen and heard of implementations where the basic configuration and features are not configured, which can actually enhance the reliability and performance of the app server.

Team Lead at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

WebLogic is a mature Java application server and when compared to competitors, it excels in speed, scalability and stability. Important features out-of-the-box are the JMS server, database tuning options, full script ability, and Java EE 6.0 support.

How has it helped my organization?

It's improved our organization in lots of ways. For example, using the WLST scripting allowed us to build a continuous integration environment. We’ve also managed to increase throughput and reliability by replacing an older JMS server with the internal WebLogic JMS engine.

What needs improvement?

Although WebLogic is fully supported with different Linux distributions and most installations run on Linux machines, on a clean installation there are no startup or service scripts, requiring time investment and perhaps external help for a robust set up.

I've used it for over ten years. WebLogic server was developed by BEA systems as an early adopter of the J2EE specification and was later bought by Oracle.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

There have been no issues with its stability.

We've had no issues scaling it for our needs.

Oracle support is expensive, but they're good and available 24/7. Support for any version is for years and any given version of WebLogic is already extremely stable. Bug fixes, security updates, and bundle patches come often.

For a 120 requests/second web shop I was consulted in, WebLogic was chosen because of the seamless service – production redeployments allowed for user sessions ending and the new application taking over without any end-user errors. Rolling upgrades and automatic server migration on failure were also important arguments that other offerings could not match.

As mentioned, some Linux scripting is needed to set up a system that will survive reboots. However, after the first graphic or command-line setup, it’s easy to roll out additional domains: you have many options for different levels of expertise such as domain extension, templating, having the installer saving the installation script and so forth.

I set up implementations for our customers. If implementing a mission critical system, you should consider getting external expertise for advice on monitoring and failover configuration and such.

WebLogic uses a per-physical core pricing model. The basic “WebLogic Server” license does not support clustering and is useless in most enterprise situations. The often-bought “WebLogic Suite” license is very expensive if you do not plan on using the included Coherence cache. Take special care when using virtualization: Oracle licensing will insist on counting the number of physical cores on the hypervisor and will not care for configured partitioning of CPU’s!

When compared to Tomcat and JBoss, WebLogic performed better with the same applications and also allowed for easier scaling and system administration.

What other advice do I have?

WebLogic is an amazing product, reflected by its pricing model. I would always advise on setting up a clustered environment, even if this is not a user requisite, as this allows for more flexibility. Also, consider using Apache with the WebLogic plugin as a web tier and SSL terminator instead of a commercial offering.

Product Categories
Application Server
Download our free Oracle WebLogic Server Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Quick Links