Tomcat OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Tomcat is the #4 ranked solution in top Application Server tools. PeerSpot users give Tomcat an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Tomcat is most commonly compared to Oracle WebLogic Server: Tomcat vs Oracle WebLogic Server. Tomcat is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Application Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Tomcat?
Apache Tomcat is an open source software implementation of the Java Servlet, JavaServer Pages, Java Expression Language and Java WebSocket technologies. The Java Servlet, JavaServer Pages, Java Expression Language and Java WebSocket specifications are developed under the Java Community Process. Apache Tomcat powers numerous large-scale, mission-critical web applications across a diverse range of industries and organizations.
Tomcat Customers
Walmart.com, The Weather Channel, E*Trade, Delta Virtual Airlines, General Motors, AppFuse, Bonhams, CardinalHealth, CarGurus.com, FarmDirectory.org, Millenium Pharmaceuticals, RecipeLand.com, WebShots, QuickCreative.net, MyOtherDrive
Tomcat Video

Tomcat Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Tomcat pricing:
  • "We are using the open-source version."
  • "The solution is free."
  • "We are currently using the open-source version."
  • Tomcat Reviews

Senior System Analyst at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    User-friendly and easy to set up
    • "Tomcat is user-friendly and easy to set up, especially compared to WebLogic or JBoss where some specialty is required. If you are going for Tomcat, you can use their guidelines and can set it up easily."
    • "Tomcat is used mainly for database connections. As of now, we configure that environment for any database configuration. But if any utility can integrate where we can pass the database connection as a string of details, then it should encrypt them and keep them inside. From that security perspective, Tomcat requires improvement. They should integrate this security feature."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Tomcat for one Java-based application that's used for any carrier site. We have one portal for carriers. Any external user can apply for whatever openings are there. Through that site they can apply and our HR can review their profile and invite them for an interview. Tomcat is handling all these processes.

What is most valuable?

The company decided earlier, when our database was on Oracle, that Tomcat is more suitable for Java-based applications and it's a free tool with free servers that we can download and use there.

What needs improvement?

Tomcat is used mainly for database connections. As of now, we configure that environment for any database configuration. But if any utility can integrate where we can pass the database connection as a string of details, then it should encrypt them and keep them inside. From that security perspective, Tomcat requires improvement. They should integrate this security feature.

I have been using Tomcat in my company for the last two years. In my previous company I used Tomcat for application, deployment and configuration.

November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Oracle, Red Hat and others in Application Server. Updated: November 2022.
    657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Tomcat is very stable, nothing new in this one, it's a very old product. We were using this product for our small application testing back when we were in college.

In terms of Tomcat's scalability level, wherever scalability or a higher ability is required, we use a load balancer and other things to just upscale the data.

We have one 15-person team that is using it. It is exported to the internet, so external users are using it whenever they connect to the application.

We provide technical support because we have the knowledge about this product so we don't feel any external support is required as of now for Apache and Tomcat related issues.

The initial setup is very easy and straightforward.

It takes me a couple of hours for Tomcat implementation.

Tomcat is an open-source solution so we don't have licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering Tomcat is that they don't have too much load on their website. It's not for all websites. For normal sites, they can use Tomcat.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Tomcat an eight.

Oguz Mutlu - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. Devops Engineer at a media company with 201-500 employees
    Stable, easy to deploy, and user-friendly
    • "The deployment process is very fast."
    • "It would be great if they offered more integration of monitoring tools."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution on our main e-commerce web page.

What is most valuable?

Compared to Oracle Web Projects, it's very user-friendly and the administration is very simple. The navigation is very intuitive.

The deployment process is very fast.

The solution is very stable.

What needs improvement?

I don't have too much experience with monitoring, however, it's possible it could be improved. It would be great if they offered more integration of monitoring tools.

The management maybe can be improved a bit.

I've used the solution for a small instance in the past. We have used it for three or four months now in a bigger instance. We've only used it for a few months at this point, and therefore, it's still pretty new to us.

The stability is good. We haven't had any issues. There are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is good. We have a structure that we can easily scale up or down. It's very simple for us.

We haven't contacted technical support. We haven't needed any assistance. Therefore, I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I've also used Oracle WebLogic.

The initial setup is very easy to install. It's very easy. A company shouldn't struggle with the setup process.

The deployment is fast.

I don't have any information on the pricing. I don't handle that aspect of the solution.

That said, my understanding is it's less expensive than, for example, Oracle.

I'm able to compare WebLogic with Tomcat, and I can say that Tomcat beats WebLogic on a number of fronts. It's easier, simpler to deploy, and less expensive. I prefer it.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Tomcat.

We also use the solution on a private cloud as well as on-premises.

I'd rate the product at an eight out of ten. We're pretty happy with it.

I have experience with WebLogic and Tomcat. I'd recommend Tomcat over Oracle, as it's easier to manage and install. It's my understanding that the pricing is a bit lower as well.

November 2022
    657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Especialista em TI at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Open-source, amazing stability, scalable, and has a good knowledge base
    • "We chose to use Tomcat because it's perfect compared to other containers that we have tested."
    • "The interface is not user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

I use Tomcat for CM solutions, for access management.

What is most valuable?

It's open-source and there is a lot of documentation available on the web. It has a good knowledge base.

What needs improvement?

The interface is not user-friendly.

You need to have knowledge of the operating system, and Linux to configure the solution. It is not user-friendly.

I would like to see a user-friendly interface.

I have been using Tomcat for 10 years.

I started with Version 8 and now we are using Version 9.

The stability is amazing. If it is configured properly, you won't have any issues.

It's scalable. It is possible to create a cluster with Tomcat. You can run it using Docker, in the Kubernetes platform. It is also possible to be embedded in some devices.

It's pretty much a full-stack solution with many ways to use it.

We have 30 technicians who are using this solution in our organization.

I have never used support from Tomcat. We have only used the documentation that is available.

There is a lot of documentation available on the internet, which is very helpful.

We have found a solution for questions that we have had through forums and the knowledge base.

The initial setup is neither hard nor too easy. There is a lot of documentation to review.

The time it takes to deploy really depends on your experience. If you are a beginner, it can take eight hours, and for the heavy user, it's about two hours to deploy it.

We are using the open-source version.

What other advice do I have?

Read the documentation that is available on Apache.org. If you have any issues, look to see what is available on the forums and on the web.

Some people have been able to find a solution using the web.

We have not had big issues when using Tomcat. I would rate Tomcat an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    SandeepKumar10 - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Administrator at MIRAKI TECHNOLOGIES
    Web container solution that is really easy to use and offers a simple implementation process
    • "The ease of use of Tomcat is its most valuable feature. Once we grade particular software, we simply download it and we keep an eye on if Tomcat is working."
    • "Sometimes we face issues with the private and public networks and ensuring that once Tomcat is installed, that it is secure."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our website. When we have to integrate applications like scheduling tools with the website, we use Tomcat. We also use Tomcat to configure the applications that we have with either Automic scheduler or the D-Series scheduler.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use of Tomcat is its most valuable feature. Once we grade particular software, we simply download it and we keep an eye on if Tomcat is working. We have a link within Tomcat that tells us whether is working or not.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes we face issues with the private and public networks and ensuring that once Tomcat is installed, that it is secure. This is an area of the solution that could be improved, possibly by adding an additional package for security.

I have been using this solution for a few months.

This is a stable solution. When we have experienced any issue, restarting Tomcat or completing an update has fixed the issue.

This is a scalable solution.

We have not needed to reach out to Tomcat for support during the last six or seven years. When we have had an issue, we have been able to resolve it on our own.

The initial setup is really straightforward. Deployment takes between two and five minutes. If you are using Unix or Windows, you can click on the Tomcat website and you can download it from there. It's a very simple method and you can start and stop any time. If there is any problem, you can see the logs to understand what the issue is.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to other businesses. It is important to understand what approach you are going to take when it comes to installation. Tomcat is user friendly compared to solutions such as WebLogic or Oracle.

Microsoft Azure
    Developer at GrupoBios
    It's a simple, light open-source environment
    • "Tomcat is a simple, light environment, whereas the full Red Hat Fuse solution is heavier."
    • "Security integration in Tomcat is complicated. We need to use another tool to solve the security issues."

What is our primary use case?

Our company is in healthcare, and Tomcat provides a backend server for our REST solution. Tomcat is widely used in Chile as a backend solution for web service and REST environments. Companies frequently use Spring Boot with a Tomcat environment. I'm a developer at a small company, and only 10 people use Tomcat here, but the company has around 100 employees in all.

What is most valuable?

Tomcat is a simple, light environment, whereas the full Red Hat Fuse solution is heavier.

What needs improvement?

Security integration in Tomcat is complicated. We need to use another tool to solve the security issues.

We have used Tomcat for two years.

We have some problems with the performance in terms of transactions per second, but Tomcat is stable.

It is easy to scale the solution if you use more CPUs.

Tomcat is an Apache open-source project, so it doesn't have technical support.

We were using Red Hat Fuse for a Camel solution. Camel is another Apache product we use internally.  Two years ago, we switched our backend solution.  I was working with a bank, and we needed an integration platform. It was a relatively simple project.

Deploying Tomcat is straightforward.

Tomcat is a free solution, but you need to pay the Java Oracle license in a commercial environment.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Tomcat eight out of 10. My only issue with it is the security. You need to use another solution.

Vice President - Information Technology at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    Easy to use, and stable, but they need better administration and maintenance capabilities
    • "The most valuable features of this solution are the general web server features."
    • "Technical support is limited."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a web application server.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides website hosting services.

What is most valuable?

It's simple and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

In terms of features, this solution is limited. It does do its job, but the enterprise-level features are missing.

In the next release, I would like to see better maintenance and administration utilities. For example, they could be simplified.

I have been using Tomcat for three years.

We are using the latest version. It is always updating.

It's a pretty stable solution.

This solution is actively being used.

Technical support is limited. We don't get very many issues, but when we do, the service is not very straightforward.

It was a default install and it was done before I arrived.

We used a vendor for the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

My advice Look at all the options of server hosting before choosing Tomcat.

I would rate Tomcat a seven out of ten.

Vincent Cheng - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. Director at LogiCorner Info Tech.
    Easy to install, reliable, and beneficial EE server

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution because of the Oracle REST data services we are using.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the free EE server.

What needs improvement?

In the solution, we are using the terminal to enter command line codes for operations and management, this is difficult for me. It would be better if we had some administrator UI tools for this.

I have been using the solution within the last 12 months.

The solution is reliable.

We have approximately five people using the solution in my organization.

The initial setup is easy. However, we did have some difficulties at first that we managed to resolve. There is plenty of documentation online to help with the solution.

We did the implementation of the solution.

The solution is free.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Tomcat an eight out of ten.

Hisham Badr - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Software Engineer Team Lead at Connect Professional Services
    Straightforward and basic deployment, excellent rating, with scalability

What is our primary use case?

Our primary case use is for case logs. When the customer tries to log into the application and the webpage does not open I check it from the integration of Tomcat.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the APM tools enhanced for all customers. Some APM customers are not yet fully integrated. I would also like to see a dashboard with some integrations in order to see the logs and trace performance easier.

I have been using Tomcat for the past four years.

Tomcat is not always stable and but I have not used another server yet to compare the overall stability.

The scalability overall is good.

The initial setup is straightforward. The time frame of the deployment depends on configurations and parameters that a company may have.

We are currently using the open-source version.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Tomcat a ten on a scale of one to ten.

Download our free Application Server Report and find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Oracle, Red Hat, and more!
    Updated: November 2022